PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 7, 2018 vs Gold Coast

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 01:46 AM
This is the round 6, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Carlton is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
05-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Bump

SlimPickens
05-05-2018, 07:17 PM
Bankers
Naughton- what a talent this kids is. His reading of the play and intercept marking is already elite.

Gowers- work rate and effort was exemplary. Reckon Happy days is clearly wrong about this bloke. The comparison to Tom Lynch at Adelaide is a good one.

Macrae- Bont gets the love but Jacko is our best player. Refused to lose today.

Anchors
English- kid is cooked, needs a spell for a few weeks. Thought he was important in the last but non exsistent in the first 3.

Honeychurch- not up to the level. Slow decision maker and poor execution . Done for mine.

Crowd- sub 7000 is incredibly disappointing. Club needs to work out why.

bornadog
05-05-2018, 09:49 PM
Bankers

1. Macrae - not only 40 disposals, 23 contested.

2. Great goal from Williams at a vital stage

3. Average games 53 - great future ahead with some great youngsters.

Anchors

1. Umpiring very ordinary and inconsistent.

2. Disappointing crowd, but I blame the ticketing system. Members should be able to just walk up, scan their ticket for general admission.

3. Poor skills at times and goal kicking once more. Hunter two shots dead in front should have nailed them.

Eastdog
05-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Bankers:

- Macrae - been our best this year

- Gowers - Really liked his forward mongrel - good again today

- Naughton - good 1st year so far and done some good things down back

Anchors:

- The umpiring at one stage 1-13 frees against at qtr time

- Our goalkicking again

- The opening quarter start

Ghost Dog
05-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Jack McRae's boot.
Lipinski - great reward for effort from a very young player.

Anchors - Scheduling - should have had a Victorian team for the first game at Mars.

Eastdog
05-05-2018, 10:54 PM
Jack McRae's boot.
Lipinski - great reward for effort from a very young player.

Anchors - Scheduling - should have had a Victorian team for the first game at Mars.

Lipinski very good again up forward.

Twodogs
05-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Bankers
Naughton- what a talent this kids is. His reading of the play and intercept marking is already elite.

Gowers- work rate and effort was exemplary. Reckon Happy days is clearly wrong about this bloke. The comparison to Tom Lynch at Adelaide is a good one.

Macrae- Bont gets the love but Jacko is our best player. Refused to lose today.

Anchors
English- kid is cooked, needs a spell for a few weeks. Thought he was important in the last bit non exsistent in the first 3.

Honeychurch- not up to the level. Slow decision maker and poor executed. Done for mine.

Crowd- sub 7000 is incredibly disappointing. Club needs to work out why.

Me too. After having the chance to watch him at Footscray all last year I could see what the attraction was, he has great hands, good footy smarts, he's a competitive little bugger and he works hard for his mates. However I also saw most of his attempts at shooting for goal and after watching us kick ourselves out of game after game I just couldn't see what adding one more player who was flakey at best in front of goal was going to bring us and after round two I just couldn't see it. Basically I thought we had added another player who works hard to generate a scoring opportunity and then fluffs it because he can't kick.

But since he's played further up the ground and has been able to create play and start scoring chains as well as continue kicking his one or two goals a week I'm happy to say that he is am experiment well worth continuing with. This is one of those cases where hopefully I am going to be proven to be completely wrong.i was wrong about Matty Boyd, Liam Picken, Easton Wood and I can't remember with Dale Morris but we might just add another Rookie List success story I didn't think would happen given my track record with the others.

Dry Rot
06-05-2018, 01:11 AM
This is one of those cases where hopefully I am going to be proven to be completely wrong.i was wrong about Matty Boyd, Liam Picken, Easton Wood and I can't remember with Dale Morris but we might just add another Rookie List success story I didn't think would happen given my track record with the others.

Can you also refuse to rate Schache and then be wrong?

Twodogs
06-05-2018, 01:26 AM
Bankers.

-The boys (and they are mostly boys) persisted. It would have been easy to say "it's not going our way" and turn it up
-Naughton. He's played 100 AFL games already with his marking. Saved our bacon several times today.
-we are still in the crap shot. Win a couple, square up our wins and losses colomn and with the boys coming back then maybe Wie haven't pissed this season up against the wall.

(Umpires are w)Anchors

-The umpiring in the first half
-the umpiring in the second half
-goalkicking. Still.

Twodogs
06-05-2018, 01:29 AM
Can you also refuse to rate Schache and then be wrong?

For you mate, anything. So to paraphrase Kelvin Moore "Schache won't be a footballer while his arse points toward the ground!''

Go Josh!

LostDoggy
06-05-2018, 09:38 AM
Bankers,

- McRae. Without him we would have lost. He is our most reliable player
- Williams. Love his work of HBF. Great overhead and great kick.
- Naughton. What a pick up. Is our best Backman already.
-Gower. Love his work. Tough, great mark and applies pressure.

Anchors.
- Jong, as much as I hate saying it but makes to many mistakes and needs to be dropped.
- Dahlhaus, kicking skills are hurting us more than ever. Not sure what to do here.
- Umpiring, rules seem to have changed around the holding the ball rule.

LostDoggy
06-05-2018, 09:56 AM
BANKERS
- Our somewhat experienced midfield group had to stand up this week. To a man they responsnded with much better contested ball, tackling and gut running; huge effort Macrae, Maclean, Hunter, Dahlhaus, Daniel and Wallis.
- Liking the structure our backline is slowly developing. Naughton and Cordy work well together and are assuming leadership roles. Williams is gaining in confidence, is getting more involved in the intercepts and looking a little Rohan Smith like when he arches the back and steams towards goal.
- Gowers is growing by the week. Playing forward over the first 5 weeks of our season was no easy gig, but he covers ground, creates chances and has good hands and energy. If we can get Boyd, Schache or anyone to offer a genuine FF target at some point, he'll be a valuable foil.

ANCHORS
- Some of the kids are tiring and need a break. They both had some good moments and have massive futures but Richards and English are ready for a spell.
- Skill errors are still killing us. Jong did some good things but his unforced turnover in the 3rd was a howler.
- He has a crack but Honeychurch just isn't AFL standard for mine.

Bullies
06-05-2018, 03:24 PM
We seem to be so much better with Boyd in the ruck. I know he drops a few around the ground but he is so competitive when it hits the ground. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for some of his ruck work. Throw Schache up forward as we have nothing to lose and see how he goes. We have no tall with forward smarts. We also don't really have smalls with smarts either come to think of it.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2018, 03:35 PM
1. Macrae: Highest ever clearances, 12 and highest SuperCoach score 189.
2. McLean: Highest disposals 33, highest handballs 22, highest tackles 13, highest inside 50's 8, highest rebound 50's 3, highest supcoach score 146 & highest AFL FP's 143.
3. Tom Boyd: Giving up a lot of weight and height rucking most of the day: 15 disposals, 10 kicks including the goal assist to win it, 3 tackles, 11 hit outs, 3 clearances, the goal assist, 3 I50's, 2 R50's, 73 AFL FP and when forward had no decent delivery to judge him on.

1. Umpiring. Two sets of rules.
2. I genuinely struggle to come to terms with whether I detest Foxtel or Ch7 human garbage commentators more.
3. Dunkley rucking again. Not sure what this is, again.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2018, 03:39 PM
We seem to be so much better with Boyd in the ruck. I know he drops a few around the ground but he is so competitive when it hits the ground. I don't think he gets the credit he deserves for some of his ruck work. Throw Schache up forward as we have nothing to lose and see how he goes. We have no tall with forward smarts. We also don't really have smalls with smarts either come to think of it.

I'd hope for a good ruck, if I'm allowed to be greedy. If Boyd was still at GWS with their foot skills, he'd be the biggest forward star since Carey. But whenever he's up there he's ignored or the passes are rubbish. But you're right, I thought he did a lot of unflashy stuff that the team needed from him. I hope we can come to a day when English, Tom, Schache & Roughy/Trengove/other in form tall can start to do wonderful things across all areas of the ground.

Happy Days
06-05-2018, 03:49 PM
I'd hope for a good ruck, if I'm allowed to be greedy. If Boyd was still at GWS with their foot skills, he'd be the biggest forward star since Carey. But whenever he's up there he's ignored or the passes are rubbish. But you're right, I thought he did a lot of unflashy stuff that the team needed from him. I hope we can come to a day when English, Tom, Schache & Roughy/Trengove/other in form tall can start to do wonderful things across all areas of the ground.

Wonder what GWS would say to Boyd for Patton if we offered it right now?

bulldogtragic
06-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Wonder what GWS would say to Boyd for Patton if we offered it right now?

Tom's (Norm Smith) game in 2016, plus his huts in the prelim against them and Mumford, plus Tom's positional flexibility around the ground, before rucking Tom had an elite 70% goal accuracy since juniors to us. Which tapered off since this rucking caper.

Patton's a player, but multiple knee injuries.

Both on large coin. The Tom Boyd cheer leader in me says they'd deal. I'd much rather have Boyd if that trade was reversed in the question.

Remi Moses
06-05-2018, 04:03 PM
1. The only time dermie made sense was him saying Macrae is elite
2. We need to nail teams when we have that last quarter dominance
3. Naughton not only going to be an elite intercept, he’s one of those players that the game looks slower when he has the ball

Happy Days
06-05-2018, 04:04 PM
Tom's (Norm Smith) game in 2016, plus his huts in the prelim against them and Mumford, plus Tom's positional flexibility around the ground, before rucking Tom had an elite 70% goal accuracy since juniors to us. Which tapered off since this rucking caper.

Patton's a player, but multiple knee injuries.

Both on large coin. The Tom Boyd cheer leader in me says they'd deal. I'd much rather have Boyd if that trade was reversed in the question.

Me too my dude; Patton has been shown up this year having too ruck. For such a big dude he's incredibly soft.

Would love him to cop the vitriol poor Tommy cops. If only anyone cared.

bulldogtragic
06-05-2018, 04:18 PM
Me too my dude; Patton has been shown up this year having too ruck. For such a big dude he's incredibly soft.

It'll get interesting when Patton's legs get heavy from rucking and his goal kicking accuracy, like Tom's drops a bit. That's the biggest asset he has. Some slight attention might come then, but again, who cares.

I hope internally that Tom gets a nod. It wasn't a stand out game, but he negated Witts and picked up three additional clearances of his own. GCS had 30 clearances for the game. Tom's 3 means he personally got 10% of what their entire ruck and midfield brigade got in Clearnaces for the entire game. It was a really solid game, and slip or no slip by the GCS player at the end, the stat sheet showed Tom set up a goal assist to Williams to win the game.

But that's not we got him to do, but it's good we know he can ruck hard on bean poles like Witts or gorillas like Mumford. But let's get him forward and kick it to anything like his advantage.

Yeah Tom Boyd!

bornadog
06-05-2018, 05:22 PM
3. Dunkley rucking again. Not sure what this is, again.

Bevo did concede we have to re-think what we have to do with our rucking. The only reason Dunks when in to the ruck was to replace English who was being murdered in the ruck and to give Tom a rest. Do you drop English, or do you develop him and at the same time bring another ruckman in?

bulldogtragic
06-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Bevo did concede we have to re-think what we have to do with our rucking. The only reason Dunks when in to the ruck was to replace English who was being murdered in the ruck and to give Tom a rest. Do you drop English, or do you develop him and at the same time bring another ruckman in?

Probably select a different side looking at the height and weight of Witts, bearing in mind the wear and tear on him this year. Tim is a gun, but my focus is more toward the MC than the player or development per se.

Bullies
06-05-2018, 06:01 PM
Bevo did concede we have to re-think what we have to do with our rucking. The only reason Dunks when in to the ruck was to replace English who was being murdered in the ruck and to give Tom a rest. Do you drop English, or do you develop him and at the same time bring another ruckman in? English needs a spell. Ruck with Boyd and bring in Schache to play in front of the sticks. Boyd is smart enough to do 80% of the game in the ruck as he showed on occasions in 2016. English not offering much at the moment.

Ghost Dog
06-05-2018, 10:02 PM
Shack kicked three in the V. One clutch goal. Get him in

Ozza
06-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Bankers

Bailey Williams - after the West Coast game, I wasn’t convinced he should be in the side. Since then, he was been exceptional. He was our most important player when the chips were down in the first half, repelling as many of the Suns attacks as he could and was going at 100% efficiency at half time. Macrae was the only player better than him on the day. Had 8 rebounds, and 6 inside 50s as a half back - and that crucial goal. He’s flying.

Jack Macrae - slimpickens summed it up. Refused to let us lose. Extraordinary.

McLean - he’s a jet.

Anchors:

English - been great, needs a rest. Good on him for kicking that late goal on what had been a poor day for him.
Richards - fumbly today for the first time. Would consider giving him a week off also.
Jong - just doesn’t get involved enough for an onballer.

AndrewP6
06-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Shack kicked three in the V. One clutch goal. Get him in

Clutch indeed. Won the game.

soupman
06-05-2018, 10:48 PM
Bankers:
Naughton: Incredible judge of the ball in the air, good size, good instincts. He is going to be amazing. He already is.
Gowers: I was dissapointed both when we drafted him and when he was picked round 1, but since that first game I have been more and more on the Billy bandwagon. One of those forwards that is never out of the contest, a bit like Stringer, except Billy might actually hold a speccy. Also I love a player with a bit of mongrel and Billy has loads of it.
Williams: Was a big fan early days with him, but 2017 was severely underwhelming. 2018 though has been very impressive. Love his composure with the ball.

Middle:
Boyd: Ruckwork was pretty average, kicking was crap, but seemed to hold more marks yesterday than usual. Also liked the difference his size makes. It was probably the first game I've seen him play where instead of just looking bigger than others he played like it to, throwing his body around and showing some aggression. Still a long way from what i want him to be, but his lack of aggression in the past has been a drawback so I'm hoping he's turning the corner.

Anchors:
Jong: Love the guy but big queries over his future. Struggles to get the ball and when he does is a bad user.
English: Looks very tired and too easily pushed out of contests. Was good in the last but that shouldn't mask a crap first three quarters.
Commentary: Typically atrocious.

bornadog
06-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Jong - just doesn’t get involved enough for an onballer.

The past three weeks he has played a run with role. It didn't work well on Fyfe, last week he was ok in the 2nd and 3rd quarters on Cripps and this week he quelled Martin a bit holding him to 23 touches. Last week Cripps had 10 touches in the 1st quarter, and Bevo switched Jong on him to hold him to just 3. Cripps got away abit in the last quarter.

Still makes some bad decisions but not as many as he used to.

ratsmac
07-05-2018, 12:24 AM
Boyd: Ruckwork was pretty average, kicking was crap, but seemed to hold more marks yesterday than usual. Also liked the difference his size makes. It was probably the first game I've seen him play where instead of just looking bigger than others he played like it to, throwing his body around and showing some aggression. Still a long way from what i want him to be, but his lack of aggression in the past has been a drawback so I'm hoping he's turning the corner.
That's one thing I loved about Tommy's game yesterday as well. He had an aggression that I hadn't really seen before. He seems to be growing in confidence every week. If he can start tearing games apart he will bring others along with him just like on grand final day 2016.

ratsmac
07-05-2018, 12:43 AM
Bankers

1. The never give up attitude. Gold coast took it right up to us and we just kept going. At times gold coast always had an answer and kept their noses in front but the boys kept at it and wore gold coast down to get the win. A super effort from a young list.

2. Naughton's spoil against Day just before Macrae was blind sided and caught by Young. Even Dermie had to acknowledge it. Naughton was wearing him like a glove and spoiled a near perfect pass and lead.

3. Lipinski's ability to get to the right spots. Great forward work hitting packs front and centre with speed.

Anchors

1. English's hands. He needs to hold his marks. He drops some pretty straightforward opportunities.

2. Inconsistent umpiring. There were some shocking decisions.

3. If I have said it once I have said it a thousand times, set shot goal kicking. It must improve.

Ozza
07-05-2018, 09:33 AM
The past three weeks he has played a run with role. It didn't work well on Fyfe, last week he was ok in the 2nd and 3rd quarters on Cripps and this week he quelled Martin a bit holding him to 23 touches. Last week Cripps had 10 touches in the 1st quarter, and Bevo switched Jong on him to hold him to just 3. Cripps got away abit in the last quarter.

Still makes some bad decisions but not as many as he used to.

Well I don't think it speaks well for his ability as a run-with.
Fyfe - best on Ground.
Cripps - best on ground
Martin - Suns best player.

Mofra
07-05-2018, 09:51 AM
It was mentioned last night in a discussion on McCartin - Patton gets a virtual free pass from scrutiny despite being absolutely woeful this year.

Mantis
07-05-2018, 11:00 AM
Bankers

Macrae - awesome, I have been critical in the past about his inability to directly (goals) or indirectly (goal assists), but that's improving and the rest of his game is improving too. Such a competitor too.
McLean - becoming an extremely good player, tough, evasive & makes smart decisions.
Naughton - improving every week, can't wait to see where he's game is at when he is 23-28 because he is already an important player.

Anchors

Kicking skills - Just so many turn-overs, extreemly frustrating.
Young - maybe I'm being hard on a young & inexperienced player, but didn't go hard enough a couple of times.
Ruck situation - As recognised by Bevo we aren't in a great spot as I feel Boyd would've been extremely hand up front, but he was forced to play big minutes in the ruck, which he did quite well.

Axe Man
07-05-2018, 11:51 AM
Anchors
Young - maybe I'm being hard on a young & inexperienced player, but didn't go hard enough a couple of times.

Agree on Young. I also don't want to be too hard on him but there were 2 efforts that just weren't good enough and I think both led to Gold Coast goals. One was right in front of me and he just took a couple of short steps and didn't attack the ball aggressively enough. Needs to get that out of his game.

jeemak
07-05-2018, 12:45 PM
McLean - becoming an extremely good player, tough, evasive & makes smart decisions.

A little bit like Jacko, it will take a long time for the commentariat and football watchers in general to cotton on to the fact that Toby is seriously tough, determined and competitive.

Twodogs
07-05-2018, 11:59 PM
A little bit like Jacko, it will take a long time for the commentariat and football watchers in general to cotton on to the fact that Toby is seriously tough, determined and competitive.

It's almost like he has to kick a goal in a grand final to turn the momentum around at a really vital stage like, oh gosh I don't know, just before half time maybe. The sort of thing that sends his teammates into the rooms with a spring in their step.

If only he did something like that. Then the footy world would sit up and take notice.

westdog54
08-05-2018, 09:37 AM
It's almost like he has to kick a goal in a grand final to turn the momentum around at a really vital stage like, oh gosh I don't know, just before half time maybe. The sort of thing that sends his teammates into the rooms with a spring in their step.

If only he did something like that. Then the footy world would sit up and take notice.

Or win important clearances late in a cutthroat match that is going down to the wire. Like, a preliminary final for instance?

Yeah, you're right. That's the sort of thing he needs to do to get some attention.

LostDoggy
08-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Bankers

Naughton's natural footballer instinct

Last quarter fanatical intensity from our mids

Williams last quarter lowering of the eyes for goal

Anchors

Lack of intensity in the first quarter and a half

Missed tackles

Anyone who bombs the ball forward

Twodogs
08-05-2018, 01:02 PM
Bankers

Naughton's natural footballer instinct

Last quarter fanatical intensity from our mids

Williams last quarter lowering of the eyes for goal

Anchors

Lack of intensity in the first quarter and a half

Missed tackles

Anyone who bombs the ball forward

It was a fantastic team lifting goal wasn't it? If Williams can run off half back and kick goals like that more often he is going to be a star.

Axe Man
08-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Not sure it's possible to lower your eyes for a goal?

ratsmac
08-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Not sure it's possible to lower your eyes for a goal?

Maybe he was planning on kicking over the grandstands:)

Axe Man
08-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Maybe he was planning on kicking over the grandstands:)

A couple of footys did end up stuck on the roof on Saturday.

bornadog
08-05-2018, 02:05 PM
A couple of footys did end up stuck on the roof on Saturday.

I don't understand why they don't have a net up there.

GVGjr
08-05-2018, 07:42 PM
I don't understand why they don't have a net up there.

Wasn't there a camera behind the goals?

Remi Moses
08-05-2018, 08:12 PM
B-Naughton, playing like a 100 gamer
- Gowers , ( like many) I was very sceptical about his recruiting, but he’s getting better every week
- The form of McLean and Macrae
A- Thought we were way off for a quarter and a half
The woeful commentary ( especially Brereton )
Not puttting dominance on the scoreboard. That last quarter should have been 8 .3 and not 3 8

Axe Man
09-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Wasn't there a camera behind the goals?

The camera was down the open end of the ground, the footys were getting stuck on top of the grandstand at the opposite end.