PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 8, 2018 vs Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 01:51 AM
This is the round 8, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Brisbane Lions is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
12-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Bump

comrade
12-05-2018, 11:15 PM
Bankers

1. The duo of McLean & Macrae has gone beast mode.
2. Suckling continues to be a solid contributor (that’s not easy for me to admit)
3. Richards looked really comfortable out there tonight

Anchors

1. Lewis Young is miles off. Some really soft efforts and the brain farts under pressure are a worry.
2. Dahl literally can not kick a football and should only be allowed to handball or tap to a teammate..
3. Caleb Daniel fluffs too many disposals for someone who is clearly a very good ball user. Too cute.

Mofra
12-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Bankers:
1. Macrae had a good game by 2018 Macrae standards. A few times managed a contested possession he had no right to.
2. McLean should be AA.
3. Gowers has overtaken Stringer.

Anchors:
1. Match Committee. Really, really don't like conceding clean clearances from the ruck contest as we did in the first half.
2. Injury gods. POQ.
3. We look well off the pace. Yes we're young but good sides won't gift us so many turnovers the way Brisbane did.

FrediKanoute
12-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Bankers

1. Mac and Mac - Toby and Jack
2. The Bont
3. Cordy - has blossomed

Anchors

1. Honeychurch - tag, tag, tag - do NOT create
2. Gowers - got to nail set shots and hold simple marks
3. Kicking for goal - this will cost us against better sides

bornadog
13-05-2018, 12:11 AM
Anchors:
1. Match Committee. Really, really don't like conceding clean clearances from the ruck contest as we did in the first half.

Overall we won the clearances, stoppages and lost centre clearance by 2

bornadog
13-05-2018, 12:16 AM
Bankers

1. Macrae with equal club record disposals, and running at 78% efficiency
2. The Bont's 4 goals plus 1 assist
3. Sucklings 60 metre goal that also cleared the fence

Anchors

1. Ankle injury to Naughton
2. Turnovers that kept Brissie in the game
3. Webb not up to it, 9 disposals - feel for him, but that's footy

Mofra
13-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Overall we won the clearances, stoppages and lost centre clearance by 2
The raw stats say that, but only after we shifted Daniel to be the 7th in defence then run into the square after halftime.

Prior to that, Martin took Dunkley to the cleaners a couple of times with very clean clearances from the bounce. The first one was a huge smash forward (I think McStay kicked it). The second a classic tap to the side.

It was the quality of those couple of clearances that killed us, and there were a number of occasions we had to hold the ball up on the HB line as our only get out option up the line was Gowers who is no beast.

Eastdog
13-05-2018, 12:32 AM
Bankers:

- Jack Macrae - been fantastic this year

- Bont - 4 goals looked good tonight

- Gowers - gives us forward power

Anchors:

- Turnovers

- Our inaccuracy again

- Another injury - Aaron Naughton

Ozza
13-05-2018, 12:44 AM
Bankers:

Macrae - its not just the 47 touches, its the clean one-grab at ground level, its how he holds onto the footy long enough to take the best option, and the quality of his ball use.

Dunkley - he shouldn’t be rucking - but geeze he gives a great contest in the air for us as a marking target and does so many things right. That goal at the end where he got rid of the 28 year old Eagles, and collected the footy and kicked the goal...you just knew Dunkley would do that. He’s 21. His body strength is amazing.

Suckling - having a really good season. What he can do with the footy can just open up the whole field.

Anchors:

Lewis Young - real ‘dear in the head lights stuff’. No faith in him right now. Must play Trengove instead of him.
Webb - not up to it. Had a couple of good contests, but just can’t get the footy.
Losing Naughton during the game, and already not having enough tall players. A real worry that we picked a side so vulnerable, and fortunate we got through.

SonofScray
13-05-2018, 09:01 AM
Bankers:

1. Macrae. Surging ahead of the pack as our vest performed player. His confidence is brimming.
2. McLean, really stepping up. Very important player for us.
3. Boyd. Did a mountain of work. Great lead and goal. Just ground out a hard day's work to good effect.

Anchors:

1. Injury to Naughton.
2. Dale's injurious bump on Cameron. Come on Bailey, hit him properly without busting an AC joint please :(
3. JJ no contest in the air a few times after miscommunication with Gowers once and Young the other time.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 11:48 AM
BANKERS
1. Macrae, is the epitomy of a banker in that he just deivers every week. Is taking it to new levels in his ability to be almost constantly involved and being more aggressive in the way he uses the ball,
2. Our other real bankable mids are McLean and Hunter. McLean is tough in close and efficient with the ball and Hunter just gut runs and works so hard to provide an option
3. The steady growth in our young defensive group. Cordy is becoming such a leader, Naughtn was a loss but Richards and Williams continue to work well together. Enjoying Williams willingness to make something happen and his decision making is improving. Richards is tough.

ANCHORS
1. Structure. Feels like we're piecing it together a bit. Dunkley can't be sacrificed week in, week out whilst getting Boyd forward more would be a plus. Would love another genuine tall in, interesting to read that Trengove did a bit of midfield work at Footscray (as did Boyd before his return).
2. Naughton injury - especially vs Adelaide (Walker, Lynch, Jenkins) next week.
3. Our bottom 3 or 4 are not quite up to it against good opposition. Looking forward to getting a few of our best 22 back.

Ozza
14-05-2018, 12:28 PM
An added Banker....

Patrick Lipinski has kicked 8.0 for the season in 4 games. (Yes I know, don't jinx him!). The kid has some real class about him with his clean hands and clean finishing - the clean hands is a big one for me, it makes such a huge difference with the speed the game is played at, to be 'one-grab'. And I don't think there is much that hasn't been said about kicking for goal - nice that he is getting his 2 per game and not wasting opportunities.

westdog54
14-05-2018, 12:42 PM
An added Banker....

Patrick Lipinski has kicked 8.0 for the season in 4 games. (Yes I know, don't jinx him!). The kid has some real class about him with his clean hands and clean finishing - the clean hands is a big one for me, it makes such a huge difference with the speed the game is played at, to be 'one-grab'. And I don't think there is much that hasn't been said about kicking for goal - nice that he is getting his 2 per game and not wasting opportunities.

Its a good return for a kid that kicked 0.3 on debut.

He's hit the scoreboard in all of his 5 career games to date.

Bulldog4life
14-05-2018, 01:46 PM
Bankers:

Macrae - We got him for losing Callum Ward. Wouldn't swap him for Ward now.

Hunter - The amount of running he does is "extreme". Love him.

Gowers & Lipinski - Our 2 constant goal kickers of our forward line. Both keepers.

Anchors:

Lewis Young - Can look so uncoordinated at times going for marks. All arms & legs.

Need to stiffen our backline up in the coming weeks.

We will not get away with it playing Dunkley as 2nd ruck against good sides.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 02:59 PM
Lewis Young - Can look so uncoordinated at times going for marks. All arms & legs.

Whilst I agree with you, we must remember Lewis has just turned 19 and played in his 9th game.

Ghost Dog
14-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Bankers - Marcus - He's such an exciting player because you can play him anywhere. I'd be so jealous if he played for anyone else. He's as agile and quick as a smaller player, to spin and snap, or can be the get-out-of jail marking option for the long bomb into the 50.

Jack - Massive possession count and really can damage with it as well.

The Lions - At least they put on a bit of a contest and have improved. As much as I love winning, I hate having teams that can't compete. It's entertainment after all.

Anchors - Anyone with less than two tackles really.

Bullies
15-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Whilst I agree with you, we must remember Lewis has just turned 19 and played in his 9th game. Don't play him then. Play Roberts who is strong in the contest. You can do more harm than good by continuing to play Young. Some of his contests at the moment are very ordinary. He doesn't appear ready for the contact side of the game.

bornadog
15-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Don't play him then. Play Roberts who is strong in the contest. You can do more harm than good by continuing to play Young. Some of his contests at the moment are very ordinary. He doesn't appear ready for the contact side of the game.

As long as Roberts deserves his spot, I agree. Young played some good footy at VFL level and got his opportunity. Bevo rewards players if they show something.

Mantis
15-05-2018, 12:58 PM
Don't play him then. Play Roberts who is strong in the contest. You can do more harm than good by continuing to play Young. Some of his contests at the moment are very ordinary. He doesn't appear ready for the contact side of the game.

One of the issues with Fletch is that he is horrible in the contest.