PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 9, 2018 vs Adelaide

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 01:52 AM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 9, 2018 match against Adelaide at Adelaide Oval?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
12-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Bump

bornadog
12-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Will depend on injuries so wait and see

Happy Days
12-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Would think Honeychurch is a goner.

MrMahatma
12-05-2018, 11:58 PM
If Biggs is in worse form than Crozier or Webb or HC... delist him now.

We're hanging in there by a thread but desperately need some experience and talent back from injury.

bornadog
13-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Naughton strained lateral ligament in ankle.

Bullies
13-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Out : Webb, HC and Young has been dreadful last 2 weeks.

In : Biggs, Jong, Trengove/Roughead

Surely Webb is done.

Ozza
13-05-2018, 12:50 AM
Geeze Webb and Jong....its just the merry go round., Neither can get the footy and they just go in and out of the side. But Jong is the better of the two.

Out: Naughton (inj.), Young (omit),
In: Trengove; Wood (if ready),

Go_Dogs
13-05-2018, 12:39 PM
Out: Naughton

In: Trengove

SlimPickens
13-05-2018, 01:32 PM
In: Roughead, Wood
Out: Naughton, Webb

bulldogtragic
13-05-2018, 01:37 PM
In: Schache, Trengove

Out: Honey, Naughton (inj)

(If available, Wood for Young)

Mantis
14-05-2018, 10:02 AM
In: Wood, Morris, Trengove
Out: Naughton, Webb, Crozier

I would like to keep Webb in for an extended run as one game in - 2 games out does nothing for his confidence, but getting 3 kicks in a game of footy just isn't good enough when his ability to play contested footy is extremely poor.

Morris is a freak so I have no doubt he will train strongly this week and when he does he has to play.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 04:14 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-05-13/five-takeaways-beveridge-postgame)

The present and future ruck division

Tom Boyd was the sole recognised ruckman in the team on Saturday night, and got through with some help from Josh Dunkley, although Beveridge foreshadowed a different look when the team faces Adelaide next Friday night.

“I pulled all the ruck/forward type players in during the week and a I said, ‘there’s a spot there.’

“Roughy’s missed a bit of footy and Jackson Trengove has missed a little bit and is working on his match fitness. Tommy Cambpell’s playing alright and Tim English has got to recalibrate; he’s learning to play at the highest levels.

“Tommy Boyd was brilliant at the end (on Saturday). We wanted him to stay on the ball for most of that last quarter, which he did. I wasn’t over the moon with Stef Martin starting to flick it around and spike the ball at centre bounce, we looked pretty vulnerable when that happened.

But our mids did a good job in making the adjustments, but we just didn’t feel like that our other ruck/forwards were ready to play yet at the level and really influence the game. We don’t want to bring them in to just go through the motions and get match fitness, we want them to be in a our best six players.

We’ll consider that this week obviously with (Sam) Jacobs and (Josh) Jenkins, or whoever they’ve got playing second ruck, but it’s a fair chance it won’t be Dunks.

-

Ozza
14-05-2018, 04:20 PM
link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-05-13/five-takeaways-beveridge-postgame)

The present and future ruck division

Tom Boyd was the sole recognised ruckman in the team on Saturday night, and got through with some help from Josh Dunkley, although Beveridge foreshadowed a different look when the team faces Adelaide next Friday night.

“I pulled all the ruck/forward type players in during the week and a I said, ‘there’s a spot there.’

“Roughy’s missed a bit of footy and Jackson Trengove has missed a little bit and is working on his match fitness. Tommy Cambpell’s playing alright and Tim English has got to recalibrate; he’s learning to play at the highest levels.

“Tommy Boyd was brilliant at the end (on Saturday). We wanted him to stay on the ball for most of that last quarter, which he did. I wasn’t over the moon with Stef Martin starting to flick it around and spike the ball at centre bounce, we looked pretty vulnerable when that happened.

But our mids did a good job in making the adjustments, but we just didn’t feel like that our other ruck/forwards were ready to play yet at the level and really influence the game. We don’t want to bring them in to just go through the motions and get match fitness, we want them to be in a our best six players.

We’ll consider that this week obviously with (Sam) Jacobs and (Josh) Jenkins, or whoever they’ve got playing second ruck, but it’s a fair chance it won’t be Dunks.

-

He said similar after the Gold Coast game, and then dropped English and didn't replace him. So will be interesting to see what happens this week.

Ozza
14-05-2018, 04:23 PM
In: Wood, Morris, Trengove
Out: Naughton, Webb, Crozier

I would like to keep Webb in for an extended run as one game in - 2 games out does nothing for his confidence, but getting 3 kicks in a game of footy just isn't good enough when his ability to play contested footy is extremely poor.

Morris is a freak so I have no doubt he will train strongly this week and when he does he has to play.

Crozier is an interesting one. Isn't getting much footy, but isn't doing anything wrong in particular. I feel like he might start to build some form once he gets some continuity within the team, so my preference is that he stays in. If Morris is ready, I'd rather we played him instead of Young - and yes, I know there's a big size difference, but Morris cold play on Tex easily enough, Cordy goes to whoever is the deeper of McGovern and Jenkins - and Wood up higher.

Mantis
14-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Good to hear that Bevo has recognised the issue and will look to address it this week... Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Mantis
14-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Crozier is an interesting one. Isn't getting much footy, but isn't doing anything wrong in particular. I feel like he might start to build some form once he gets some continuity within the team, so my preference is that he stays in. If Morris is ready, I'd rather we played him instead of Young - and yes, I know there's a big size difference, but Morris cold play on Tex easily enough, Cordy goes to whoever is the deeper of McGovern and Jenkins - and Wood up higher.

Young led the team in 1%'ers and although he had some poor moments with the ball he needs to play... he has some nice pace & is only going to get better.

Morris will be of more benefit playing a lesser role or maybe he can take on Eddie.

LostDoggy
14-05-2018, 04:32 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-14/baby-before-footy-crows-preparing-for-no-sauce.

This could help

jeemak
14-05-2018, 04:32 PM
Given Crozier has had three games at the top level post a reasonable lay-off, you would hope he starts to hit his straps from now on and starts to have more of an influence on games.

Mantis
14-05-2018, 04:37 PM
Given Crozier has had three games at the top level post a reasonable lay-off, you would hope he starts to hit his straps from now on and starts to have more of an influence on games.

In his last 22 games he has had 10 kicks or more just once... his role/ club may have changed, but he doesn't look to be a player who is going to start picking up 20+ touches on a regular basis.

jeemak
14-05-2018, 04:50 PM
In his last 22 games he has had 10 kicks or more just once... his role/ club may have changed, but he doesn't look to be a player who is going to start picking up 20+ touches on a regular basis.

The proof will be in the pudding I suppose. If he isn't going to be a high possession getter then he needs to be damaging when he does get it.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 05:05 PM

Does he need to pick up 20 + touches?

bornadog
14-05-2018, 05:08 PM
The proof will be in the pudding I suppose. If he isn't going to be a high possession getter then he needs to be damaging when he does get it.

He has a booming kick and needs to use it more. On fox footy last week they showed the biggest kicks of the round and his kickout at Ballarat went over 65 metres. At the time I thought it was Suckling.

Ozza
14-05-2018, 05:09 PM

Not sure that he needs to be a big ball winner. Although it is handy when he kicks the ball 60 metres! (Fox Footy watchers may have seen that he was credited with the longest kick of round 7 - where he kicked it around 65 metres).

Edit: Apologies for repeating - Bornadog and I must have been posting at the same time.

Mantis
14-05-2018, 05:22 PM
Does he need to pick up 20 + touches?

Does he defend well enough not to?

No use being a great kick (like Webb) if you don't use it.

Happy Days
14-05-2018, 05:43 PM
I honestly thought his defensive efforts were pretty good - he seems to read the ball through the air decently enough and times his spoils well. He also had to play on taller guys (as well as more defensively) after Naughton went down - not like we could useSuckling or Richards in that role.

Seems to me like we got him over to fill Bob/Boyd's role, but for a variety of reasons he's having to fill Biggs' instead.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 05:47 PM
Does he defend well enough not to?

No use being a great kick (like Webb) if you don't use it.

This vvv

I honestly thought his defensive efforts were pretty good - he seems to read the ball through the air decently enough and times his spoils well. He also had to play on taller guys (as well as more defensively) after Naughton went down - not like we could useSuckling or Richards in that role.

Seems to me like we got him over to fill Bob/Boyd's role, but for a variety of reasons he's having to fill Biggs' instead.

Mantis
14-05-2018, 05:51 PM
From the report on the WB website all of Adams, Morris & Wood will be available for selection if they get through training this week.

Go_Dogs
14-05-2018, 08:10 PM
From the report on the WB website all of Adams, Morris & Wood will be available for selection if they get through training this week.

Wow, that's changes things a bit doesn't it. I wonder if we'll have at least 2 of them get through a game or 2 at VFL level first though. I'd expect that to be the case with Adams and Moz, and maybe Wood too given his form and confidence didn't appear GH when he was on the park.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2018, 09:00 PM
I agree with Mantis on Crozier. Still have him in over Young if Moz and Wood are back though.

In- Moz, Wood, JT
Out- Naughton, Young, Webb

That's a +488 games of experience turnaround.

Adams is interesting. I think he is the type of player who needs to play in the VFL, more mentally than physically.

Rocco Jones
14-05-2018, 09:01 PM
Wow, that's changes things a bit doesn't it. I wonder if we'll have at least 2 of them get through a game or 2 at VFL level first though. I'd expect that to be the case with Adams and Moz, and maybe Wood too given his form and confidence didn't appear GH when he was on the park.

What's GH? I think Wood was still very much in the best 22. Top performance on Buddy.

Moz will come back straight away and do a good job at that.

ratsmac
14-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Our mids are getting their mojo back and now it looks like we are getting our defenders back! This is very exciting. Now for those forwards to kick *!*!*!*!ing straight.

The bulldog tragician
14-05-2018, 10:42 PM
Much though I love Dale Morris, I might be in a minority here as I do feel concerned at him coming back straight into the team. He did his injury in February so that is a long time out, it was a knee injury which would have restricted what he could do..and he’s 35. Surely one week at Footscray would be better.

MrMahatma
15-05-2018, 12:30 AM
Reckon Morris will play. It's either him or Roberts comes in.

ratsmac
15-05-2018, 01:45 AM
Much though I love Dale Morris, I might be in a minority here as I do feel concerned at him coming back straight into the team. He did his injury in February so that is a long time out, it was a knee injury which would have restricted what he could do..and he’s 35. Surely one week at Footscray would be better.
I probably agree with you but the chances are we will lose no matter who we bring in to play seeing that we haven't won a Friday night game interstate for 30 years. On that logic we might as well play him if he's deemed fit.

BulldogBelle
15-05-2018, 05:27 AM
I probably agree with you but the chances are we will lose no matter who we bring in to play seeing that we haven't won a Friday night game interstate for 30 years. On that logic we might as well play him if he's deemed fit.

Well its about time we had a win then. We must be due.

The bookies have us at better than 5-1, that's great.

Lots of talk that some of the Adelaide stars missing. They will also be tired from the showdown (I hope).

Out: Honeychurch, Webb, Naughton
In: Morris, Wood, Adams, Trengove

That looks like the outs equal the ins. About the same length of print anyway.

I have more in than out. Well it will be easier to win that way.

I wouldn't like to see Young go out. (I'd like to see him at Full Forward where in the forward line he played some cracking games as a junior for Sturt). We conceded some goals through both Young and Cordy because they let their man sneak out the back on them. Hopefully Morris and Wood will straighten them out on that.

Young holds the club record for the longest time running flat out. Now that's a good engine.

Go_Dogs
15-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Well its about time we had a win then. We must be due.

The bookies have us at better than 5-1, that's great.

Lots of talk that some of the Adelaide stars missing. They will also be tired from the showdown (I hope).

Out: Honeychurch, Webb, Naughton
In: Morris, Wood, Adams, Trengove

That looks like the outs equal the ins. About the same length of print anyway.

I have more in than out. Well it will be easier to win that way.

I wouldn't like to see Young go out. (I'd like to see him at Full Forward where in the forward line he played some cracking games as a junior for Sturt). We conceded some goals through both Young and Cordy because they let their man sneak out the back on them. Hopefully Morris and Wood will straighten them out on that.

Young holds the club record for the longest time running flat out. Now that's a good engine.

Very smart. If we play an extra we give purselves a chance.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Very smart. If we play an extra we give purselves a chance.

Especially if we can play 19 to 18 on field.

Mofra
15-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Ditto. One proper game for match fitness, just needs to get through and he'll be promoted.

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 10:43 AM
IN Trengove, Wood, Roberts
OUT Naughton, Crozier, HC

Bevo's post match clearly indicated that they want a 2nd ruck. He said Trengove and Roughy were close last week but the MC weren't entirely convinced their fitness levels were quite there. A fair run in the Ruck, some midfield time and ok numbers from JT at Footscray last week should see him in.

His inclusion would free up Dunkley, I'd like to see him get more midfield time. He wins clerances and is a big body. I think he would be an upgrade on the roles we have asked Jong and HC to play in recent weeks and has the mental strength and application to run with a gun whilst also hurt on the rebound, so HC out and JD to take his role structurally.

Crozier has been a bit underwhelming since his return. Of the injured players returning, Wood has had the least break and should be ready to go. I think he slips perfectly into Crozier's position and upgrades significantly.

Naughton's injury is most unfortunate given Adelaide probably have the hardest group of tal forwards to match up on (Walker, Lynch and Jenkins). It's a huge ask for Cordy and Young, I think Roberts is the best equippd replacement to help them out (other than Trengove who is required elsewhere).

I'd give Young another week. Although he is struggling one on one, he is very good at covering space and spoiling. With Naughton out, I think he can play a role this week.

bornadog
15-05-2018, 10:53 AM
In doubt at the moment are Walker and Jacobs, does this change any ones minds on ins and outs?

Ozza
15-05-2018, 10:54 AM

Surely that's not right!! As a minimum we beat West Coast on a Friday night in 1997. But surely we beat Brisbane or Sydney on a Friday at some point....maybe they were all Saturday/Sunday's.

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 10:57 AM
Surely that's not right!! As a minimum we beat West Coast on a Friday night in 1997. But surely we beat Brisbane or Sydney on a Friday at some point....maybe they were all Saturday/Sunday's.

Reckon the number of interstate Friday night games we have played in the last few decades would be pretty small. Pretty sure our Finals win against WCE in 2016 was a Friday night?

Mantis
15-05-2018, 11:16 AM
PP,

I have HC in this week to specifically match-up & lock-down on Laird. Would you consider him for this role?

Greystache
15-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Reckon the number of interstate Friday night games we have played in the last few decades would be pretty small. Pretty sure our Finals win against WCE in 2016 was a Friday night?

That was a Thursday night PP. For all intents and purposes it's the same thing, but technically this Friday night stat could be true. I might do some digging.

1eyedog
15-05-2018, 11:23 AM
PP,

I have HC in this week to specifically match-up & lock-down on Laird. Would you consider him for this role?

This match up is a must imo. It's arguably the most important match up of the game.

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 11:28 AM
PP,

Hey Mantis, HC was given a go at a hard tag last week, he didn't do bad but Zorko did end up kicking 4 and was named 2nd best player on the ground by the coaches (7 AFLCA votes). As a long term tagger, he isn't mentally strong enough to see out quarters and doesn't stick his tackles well enough for mine. I like having a run with player and Laird is the guy to cover this week, I would like to see Dunkley in that role. His tackles really stick, he can run, is mentally and physically strong and can hurt on the rebound.

Mofra
15-05-2018, 11:29 AM
This match up is a must imo. It's arguably the most important match up of the game.
He did well against Harbrow, ok against Zorko for 3/4s.
Laird will spend less time in the middle than Zorko so I'd keep him in.

I'm expecting two changes - JC for Naughton, Wood in for Young.

Mofra
15-05-2018, 11:30 AM
He did well against Harbrow, ok against Zorko for 3/4s.
Laird will spend less time in the middle than Zorko so I'd keep him in.

I'm expecting two changes - JC for Naughton, Wood in for Young.

Greystache
15-05-2018, 11:37 AM

We did, that's out most recent interstate Friday night win, I just looked into it. It's a bit misleading however, we've never played a single game on a Friday night at the SCG, Football Park, Cairns, Carrara, or the Gabba, only 1 at Subiaco (last year), 1 at Canberra (last year), 1 at Adelaide Oval (last year), and none at the WACA since 2000. So until last year we hadn't played a single Friday night game interstate in 17 years.

1eyedog
15-05-2018, 11:41 AM
I shudder at the thought of Dunks on Laird. Laird is too quick of mind and feet. Re. HC on Zorko not many curb Zorko. I think Laird will play a fair bit off half back which will make HC's role far easier than tracking Zorko all day through traffic. I'd back him in for the role.

Ozza
15-05-2018, 11:49 AM
We did, that's out most recent interstate Friday night win, I just looked into it. It's a bit misleading however, we've never played a single game on a Friday night at the SCG, Football Park, Cairns, Carrara, or the Gabba, only 1 at Subiaco (last year), 1 at Canberra (last year), 1 at Adelaide Oval (last year), and none at the WACA since 2000. So until last year we hadn't played a single Friday night game interstate in 17 years.

Ok, there's the context then. So it is a bit of a nonsense stat if brought up on Friday night or during the week. Although perhaps when we play Port on Thursday in a few weeks they might talk about our great record in Thursday night matches interstate!!

There's only a handful of interstate Friday night matches each year - so its hard to play one let alone win one!!

bornadog
15-05-2018, 12:07 PM
I shudder at the thought of Dunks on Laird. Laird is too quick of mind and feet. Re. HC on Zorko not many curb Zorko. I think Laird will play a fair bit off half back which will make HC's role far easier than tracking Zorko all day through traffic. I'd back him in for the role.

I agree, HC must play on Laird who is the highest disposal getter in the AFL at the moment. Yes 4 goals by Zorko is damaging, but his influence around the ground was minimal. If Zorko was off the leash, Brisbane may have won.

The Pie Man
15-05-2018, 12:13 PM
HC also managed to rack up 20 + disposals himself, and while never damaging, I do recall one passage of play late in the 3rd where his impressive hands released runners for a crucial goal (not that one play warrants further selection - but I'd stick with him for now)

Morris must be tempting....Roberts vs Adelaide isn't ever pleasant (though if Tex is out...)

jeemak
15-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Stopping a player like Zorko kick four goals (one of which was for a clear dive, for which a free kick shouldn't have been awarded) shouldn't be just down to a single tagger, and even the best taggers need overall team support in dangerous areas of the ground to stop the influence of the leagues better players.

HC has had some good results tagging, and a poor result. Just as team mates of the players he tags should be smashing into him (which Brisbane did all night), our guys need to be helping him out.

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 12:27 PM

Is HC really that much faster of foot and mind than JD?

bornadog
15-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Absolutely. Dunks is very slow

GVGjr
15-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Absolutely. Dunks is very slow

Compared against other ruckman? :)

Greystache
15-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Compared against other ruckman? :)

Lin Jong? Definitely! :D

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 02:27 PM
In: Schache(need another tall up forward and to assist Boyd in ruck. No more Dingley as not fare on him), Trengrove (Jenkins), Wood
Out: Naughton, Webb, Honeychurch

1eyedog
15-05-2018, 02:43 PM

HC is no jet but Dunks is an Ent. If he plays on him it will seem like Laird doesn't have an opponent. HC needs to be given an opportunity to play the only role I can see him excelling in and that is as a lock down defensive forward on their best small rebounder.

bornadog
15-05-2018, 02:45 PM
In: Schache(need another tall up forward and to assist Boyd in ruck. No more Dingley as not fare on him), Trengrove (Jenkins), Wood
Out: Naughton, Webb, Honeychurch

I bet HC doesn't get dropped

Greystache
15-05-2018, 03:51 PM
I agree, HC must play on Laird who is the highest disposal getter in the AFL at the moment. Yes 4 goals by Zorko is damaging, but his influence around the ground was minimal. If Zorko was off the leash, Brisbane may have won.

The coaches awarded Zorko 2nd best on ground in their votes.

Eastdog
15-05-2018, 05:01 PM

Agree. Yeah I'm leaning towards giving him one more week play him in the reserves then consider a recall in Round 10.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Stopping a player like Zorko kick four goals (one of which was for a clear dive, for which a free kick shouldn't have been awarded) shouldn't be just down to a single tagger, and even the best taggers need overall team support in dangerous areas of the ground to stop the influence of the leagues better players.

HC has had some good results tagging, and a poor result. Just as team mates of the players he tags should be smashing into him (which Brisbane did all night), our guys need to be helping him out.

I don't reckon Zorko even dove, he just fell over, he seemed as suprised as anyone when the umpire first paid it.

Mantis
15-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Mitch McGovern out for 2 months.. good timing for us as he's a tough match-up.

bornadog
15-05-2018, 05:32 PM
The coaches awarded Zorko 2nd best on ground in their votes.

Strange

Greystache
15-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Strange

24 disposals and 4 goals is a big game. Exactly the same as Bont who got 3rd best from the coaches.

bornadog
15-05-2018, 05:40 PM
24 disposals and 4 goals is a big game. Exactly the same as Bont who got 3rd best from the coaches.

I guess I would have given Mclean or Hunter 2nd or 3rd, but the goals make a difference.

Ozza
15-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Mitch McGovern out for 2 months.. good timing for us as he's a tough match-up.

Good result for us.
I will also be barracking for Sauce Jacobs' wife to go into labour some time Friday afternoon! It would appear that Tex and Sauce will likely play (noted as under injury clouds) - but Jacobs will attend the birth rather than play if it happens Friday.

Axe Man
15-05-2018, 06:34 PM
Good result for us.
I will also be barracking for Sauce Jacobs' wife to go into labour some time Friday afternoon! It would appear that Tex and Sauce will likely play (noted as under injury clouds) - but Jacobs will attend the birth rather than play if it happens Friday.

Unfortunately for us Jacobs wife already gave birth yesterday.

mjp
15-05-2018, 06:44 PM
He played like a busted #@$% in the showdown and I think he must be carrying something. Wouldn't be surprised if he misses.

I hope we pick a ruckman and move Boyd back forward - he looked genuinely dangerous when he was down there vs Brisbane and keeping the Adelaide half backs 'honest and interested' down back (rather than just running forward all day) will go a long way towards winning.

We can win this by the way.

Axe Man
15-05-2018, 06:48 PM
He played like a busted #@$% in the showdown and I think he must be carrying something. Wouldn't be surprised if he misses.

Jacobs had back spasms during the showdown but is expected to play on Friday.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 07:01 PM

How do we win it coach?

Eastdog
15-05-2018, 07:02 PM
How do we win it coach?

By kicking more total points than the opposition :)

hujsh
15-05-2018, 07:19 PM
By kicking more total points than the opposition :)

And more goals than points would go a long way towards that

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 09:25 PM
And more goals than points would go a long way towards that

Behinds. It's the goals and behinds totalled together that gives us the score in points. And if we have more points than the opposition we get four more.

Eastdog
15-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Behinds. It's the goals and behinds totalled together that gives us the score in points. And if we have more points than the opposition we get four more.

Yes you can win with less goals than the opposition more points the total between the goals and behinds. We improved that on Saturday night kicking 16.11.

1eyedog
15-05-2018, 10:25 PM
McGovern out with an ankle. He's the sort of guy that would carve us a new one.

hujsh
15-05-2018, 10:46 PM

I stand by my statement.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 10:54 PM
I stand by my statement.

OK. So we set our sights on kicking more goals than our total score? Given we will get six points for each goal we kick that's going to be a difficult thing to do.

If however you mean we need to kick more goals than behinds then I agree with you.

There's a difference between behinds and points, you are going to have to concede on this one.

The Adelaide Connection
15-05-2018, 10:59 PM

I hope we pick a ruckman and move Boyd back forward - he looked genuinely dangerous when he was down there vs Brisbane and keeping the Adelaide half backs 'honest and interested' down back (rather than just running forward all day) will go a long way towards winning.

The AFL have sent a memo to all clubs that players blocking in a marking contest will be a focus area. You can bet your bottom dollar that the umpires will be hot on it on Friday night.

This is literally every teams game plan against Boyd and Adelaide (especially Talia, whose strength is to block and hold forwards) employ this tactic against forwards probably better than anyone. Our uncredentialled defenders can’t even think about this tactic as their thoughts will be read and a free immediately paid from the top of the square.

Quite seriously though, seeing as they will be watching closely (jumping at shadows for the rule of the week)I think we not only play Boyd forward, but maybe even Schache.

westdog54
15-05-2018, 11:05 PM
OK. So we set our sights on kicking more goals than our total score? Given we will get six points for each goal we kick that's going to be a difficult thing to do.

If however you mean we need to kick more goals than behinds then I agree with you.

There's a difference between behinds and points, you are going to have to concede on this one.

I stand by my statement.

Let this one go hujsh, he's back you into a corner. :)

ReLoad
16-05-2018, 08:50 AM
The AFL have sent a memo to all clubs that players blocking in a marking contest will be a focus area. You can bet your bottom dollar that the umpires will be hot on it on Friday night.

This is literally every teams game plan against Boyd and Adelaide (especially Talia, whose strength is to block and hold forwards) employ this tactic against forwards probably better than anyone. Our uncredentialled defenders can’t even think about this tactic as their thoughts will be read and a free immediately paid from the top of the square.

Quite seriously though, seeing as they will be watching closely (jumping at shadows for the rule of the week)I think we not only play Boyd forward, but maybe even Schache.

Im with you, although knowing how this works, they will be super hot on it for the 1st quarter, then forget all about it thereafter.

1eyedog
16-05-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm getting the first slight skin prickle of Friday night footy and the Call of Sirens I'm experiencing in the knowledge that Adelaide doesn't really have a strong midfield at the moment. Need to shut down their outside run and B grade players like Atkins. If Sauce and Tex don't come up that's those two, McGovern, Crouch and Sloane out of their best 22.

If we're gonna beat them there is no better time.

Axe Man
16-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Im with you, although knowing how this works, they will be super hot on it for the 1st quarter, then forget all about it thereafter.

Yep, just like the holding the ball rule in many games this year.

hujsh
16-05-2018, 12:34 PM

Is a hotdog a sandwich?

westdog54
16-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Is a hotdog a sandwich?

A hot dog is a sausage.

A hot dog in a bun is a sandwich.

Happy Days
16-05-2018, 01:19 PM
Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Get out.

Insufficient Intent
16-05-2018, 01:25 PM
Macrae and McLean are Hot Dogs:)

LostDoggy
16-05-2018, 01:30 PM
Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Now there's a question that shouldn't be googled...

bornadog
16-05-2018, 01:38 PM
Macrae and McLean are Hot Dogs:)

They sure are

Do Adelaide tag? Will Macrae get tagged?

Hotdog60
16-05-2018, 07:26 PM
I wish you guys would stop talking about me.....

mjp
16-05-2018, 11:40 PM
They sure are

Do Adelaide tag? Will Macrae get tagged?

They've used Douglas and Greenwood at various times in the last couple of years...I would expect Macrae to get some attention. If I was playing the Dogs I would look at the last couple of weeks and say 'If Macrae doesn't dominate, they lose....' - and do everything in my power to take away his influence and make 'someone else' try and beat me.

Pyke is an interesting character though so who knows what he will do!

The Adelaide Connection
17-05-2018, 01:45 PM
Walker is a definite ‘out’ and Matt Crouch (!) and Luke Brown are in serious doubt after pulling up sore from the showdown.
Jacobs has been cleared to play (after having back spasms last week). This decision might come back to bite them after a 6 day break and particularly tough game.

Meanwhile, Wood is ‘in’ while Adams and Morris will play VFL. Beveridge hinted that there may be one or two more changes. I’d say Roughead or Trengove would be one of those.

This was a game I didn’t expect us to win at the start of the season and I didn’t expect us to win two weeks ago. I am not sure if I have flipped on this yet, but more chips have fallen in our favour than I even hoped for.

Just to recount:
No Sloane
No Walker
No B. Crouch
No McGovern
No Brodie Smith
No Milera
No Riley Knight
Likely to be no M. Crouch
Likely to be no Brown
Jacobs risking back issues
A few experienced players back for us
Crows coming off a short break after a very physical showdown.

Let’s do this.

Ozza
17-05-2018, 02:25 PM
So it looks like the ins will be Wood and a ruckman. Maybe Wood and Roughy. Possibly Trengove.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2018, 02:36 PM
So it looks like the ins will be Wood and a ruckman. Maybe Wood and Roughy. Possibly Trengove.

I was thinking that Trengove may have played two games a year against Adelaide, for about 7 years. That gives him 14 games experience playing against Walker/Jenkins/Jacobs etc., plus obviously having played the most at the AO. This might give him an edge, providing he's performed well against them (which I have no idea about).

soupman
17-05-2018, 02:44 PM
I think Trengove will come in. If it comes down to him vs Roughead, he is better equipped to play forward, and was surely recruited for this specific role in tandem with Boyd.

Axe Man
17-05-2018, 02:46 PM
Bevo pretty much said the same thing last week about bringing in Trengove or Campbell and did neither. This week it's Roughy or Trengove. Just as likely to bring in Roarke Smith instead!

Twodogs
17-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Bevo pretty much said the same thing last week about bringing in Trengove or Campbell and did neither. This week it's Roughy or Trengove. Just as likely to bring in Roarke Smith instead!

He his just as likely to bring Rohan in, I think that joke may have been done last week so apologies if it was.

Axe Man
17-05-2018, 03:42 PM
He his just as likely to bring Rohan in, I think that joke may have been done last week so apologies if it was.

Yeah I used that one a couple of weeks ago when R Smith was named emergency for the Gold Coast game. You will be hearing from my lawyers. ;)

Ozza
17-05-2018, 04:14 PM

Yeah, well he mentioned Trengove and Campbell in the post match presser the previous week, but this week he has mentioned bringing in a ruck on the day that they travel....so surely it happens this time!!

bornadog
17-05-2018, 05:12 PM
Yeah, well he mentioned Trengove and Campbell in the post match presser the previous week, but this week he has mentioned bringing in a ruck on the day that they travel....so surely it happens this time!!

I thought Roughead played better than Trengove last week, but it was his first game back. Trengove has had a couple since he did his shoulder.

I just checked the weather report and there is rain due around the time of the game

Ozza
17-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Tex is a big out for them. For all the talk about him being out of form at stages - he hits the scoreboard regardless.
17.5 from 6 games this year (is on a streak of 8 games with 2 goals or more).

Regarding Laird - I think Caleb Daniel will be playing on him this week. Caleb has done a bit of a high half forward job where he tries to keep the good half back in check and tries to also damage them the other way. Tipping he is the man trusted with the big task.

westdog54
17-05-2018, 07:28 PM
Wood, Trengove and Roughead in for Naughton, Honeychurch and Young (both dropped).

westdog54
17-05-2018, 07:29 PM
I wonder if these means Boyd will play exclusively forward?

The Doctor
17-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Wood, Trengove and Roughead in for Naughton, Honeychurch and Young (both dropped).

thats better

LostDoggy
17-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Wow. From 1 Ruck to 3. Trengove down back?

Adelaide have Walker, Crouch, McGovern and Brown all out injured. We've got a massive chance here.

Axe Man
17-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Crows
IN Kyle Hartigan, Sam Gibson, Darcy Fogarty, Lachlan Murphy
OUT Luke Brown (Injured), Mitch McGovern (Injured), Taylor Walker (Injured), Matt Crouch (Injured)

I wonder if former Roo Gibson has been brought in to tag Macrae?

Sedat
17-05-2018, 07:39 PM
Wow. From 1 Ruck to 3.
Bevo is the best troller in the business :D

divvydan
17-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Gibson is a guy with outstanding endurance and could potentially come in and go straight to Macrae, especially away from stoppages.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-05-2018, 07:57 PM
This is a much better looking side. Expect Trengrove to play at CHB and with Wood back the defence looks a lot stronger. We need more from Tom Boyd. Webb and Crozier both lucky to survive. Roughead is a good in and will strengthen the ruck division.

Eastdog
17-05-2018, 08:04 PM
I like those ins.

1eyedog
17-05-2018, 08:11 PM
$4 have a piece of that

Eastdog
17-05-2018, 08:14 PM
$4 have a piece of that

Good value

westdog54
17-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Crows
OUT Luke Brown (Injured), Mitch McGovern (Injured), Taylor Walker (Injured), Matt Crouch (Injured)

Hartigan must be relieved that Stringer has moved on.

No doubt Gibson will go to Macrae. This will be a massive test for the young man.

bulldogtragic
17-05-2018, 08:40 PM
This is a much better looking side. Expect Trengrove to play at CHB and with Wood back the defence looks a lot stronger. We need more from Tom Boyd. Webb and Crozier both lucky to survive. Roughead is a good in and will strengthen the ruck division.

Tom Boyd playing sole ruck and sole KPF the last few weeks not enough?

Crozier has been underwhelming. I'm a little bit surprised how lacklustre he's been so far.

Sedat
17-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Crozier has been underwhelming. I'm a little bit surprised how lacklustre he's been so far.
Only out I'll give him is that he missed several weeks with a knee strain after R1. Needs a big 2nd half of the season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-05-2018, 08:53 PM
As much of an opportunity this presents, it also looms as a galvanising backs-to-the-wall game for the Crows.
We'd want to elevate our form, capitalise on opportunities and sustain focus for 4 qtrs. No 'I got them ole Bulldog's, 5-10 minute turn off and go to sleep and let the opposition kick 5 goals blues'.

azabob
17-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Crows

Gibson has been injured all year. Not sure he has even played a SANFL game. Will be interesting to see if he gets through the game.

Ozza
17-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Gibson has been injured all year. Not sure he has even played a SANFL game. Will be interesting to see if he gets through the game.

Yep, just had a look and he hasn’t played any SANFL. Surprising they’d throw him straight in - but they are under the pump injury wise.

ratsmac
17-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Tom Boyd playing sole ruck and sole KPF the last few weeks not enough?

Yep, Biggs must be scratching his head wondering what Crozier is doing that he isn't.

Macrae will blow him up by quarter time such is his current form.

jeemak
17-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Crozier is finding his feet in a new team, and has come off a moderate injury layoff. I’ll start being a touch more critical of his output from this week onwards though if he’s safe with the footy and defending well he’s likely going to keep his spot.

Remi Moses
18-05-2018, 07:27 AM
I think crozier needs a few more before any assessment.

LostDoggy
18-05-2018, 09:24 AM
How do people see the big man structure working? With Young and Naughton both out, presumably Trengove (or possibly even Roughy?) will go back to help out Cordy. Maybe Roughy rucking 60/70% of the time, changing with Boyd forward?

bornadog
18-05-2018, 09:31 AM
How do people see the big man structure working? With Young and Naughton both out, presumably Trengove (or possibly even Roughy?) will go back to help out Cordy. Maybe Roughy rucking 60/70% of the time, changing with Boyd forward?

Last week in the VFL Roughy seemed to be playing in the backline when he wasn't rucking. Maybe he will continue this role?

LostDoggy
18-05-2018, 10:02 AM
Last week in the VFL Roughy seemed to be playing in the backline when he wasn't rucking. Maybe he will continue this role?

Interesting. It's been a while since we've played Roughy back for extended periods at AFL level but may be. I wonder if we'll play all 3 of Rough/Boyd/Trengove fror 5-6 minute bursts in the Ruck and really try to work Jacobs over, he's such a key or them but is proppy at present. Could be a real area for us to attack.

Axe Man
18-05-2018, 10:05 AM

God I hope not, there is no match for him down there. Jenkins is far too quick and mobile for him and would end up kicking 10 goals out the back. Lynch and Fogarty make no sense.

Perhaps playing back in the VFL may have had something to do with 15 ruckman being in the team last week and not all being able to play forward?

bornadog
18-05-2018, 10:12 AM
God I hope not, there is no match for him down there. Jenkins is far too quick and mobile for him and would end up kicking 10 goals out the back. Lynch and Fogarty make no sense.

Perhaps playing back in the VFL may have had something to do with 15 ruckman being in the team last week and not all being able to play forward?

Maybe he will be the 7th backman, ie floating across half back. Bevo has used the loose man in the backline several times this season, even 8 man backline.

Mofra
18-05-2018, 10:13 AM
I'm expecting Trengove to play back more than Roughy, Boyd to only chop out here and there.

The fact we have no idea what will happen is fantastic, as it means the Crows must also be clueless.

Sadly I'll miss most of the game tonight.

Ozza
18-05-2018, 10:13 AM
I would think/hope, that Roughead will be the primary Ruckman, and Boyd will be 2nd ruck - with Trengove playing in defence, and having the occasional run in the ruck depending on how we are going.

LostDoggy
18-05-2018, 10:18 AM
I would think/hope, that Roughead will be the primary Ruckman, and Boyd will be 2nd ruck - with Trengove playing in defence, and having the occasional run in the ruck depending on how we are going.

That's what I'm leaning towards also. Trengove played kpd in his last game for us so is most likely to go back.

whythelongface
18-05-2018, 11:34 AM
That's what I'm leaning towards also. Trengove played kpd in his last game for us so is most likely to go back.

That seems the most likely scenario at this stage (ie. Roughy and Boyd sharing the ruck). However as we know Bevo is quite experimental in regards to ruck set ups and he may throw in Dunkley on occasions and have both Boyd and Roughy in the fwd line.

whythelongface
18-05-2018, 11:39 AM
With the inclusion of Wood, Roughy and Trengrove this represents one of our stronger line ups for the year. Even with a depleted line up the Crows will be strong at home, however i do sense that we can win this with the team that we have selected.

jeemak
18-05-2018, 12:06 PM
It’s amazing what an injection of experience can do for the look of the side.

Eastdog
18-05-2018, 12:22 PM
It’s amazing what an injection of experience can do for the look of the side.

Yeah all of a sudden our team is looking a bit more stronger. The experience added to our young group is huge.