PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 10, 2018 vs Collingwood

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 04:36 PM
If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 10, 2018 match against Collingwood at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 10, 2018 match against Collingwood at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
18-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Updated

The Bulldogs Bite
18-05-2018, 11:13 PM
Out - Crozier and Dunkley

In - TBA.

Pickenitup
18-05-2018, 11:36 PM
In Morris Adams Out Crozier Dunkley

bulldogtragic
18-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Schache please. We are using our rolls Royce in Tommy in the ruck, bush bashing, so a tall player who can mark and kick goals would be nice. I know we won't play Boyd & Schache forward, despite the appealing aspect of it.

The Doctor
19-05-2018, 09:17 AM
Out: Crozier and Dale

In: Anyone

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 11:28 AM
Pending satisfactory games for Footscray, I'm leaning towards Morris in for Crozier (freeing Wood up to play the Crozier role) and Adams to come in as a forward and replace Dale.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Out: Roughead, Dale, Crozier

In: Adams, Morris, Schache

Trengove and Boyd to ruck
Adams key defender
Schache forward
Moz to destroy whoever kicks the Pies' goals

Morris, Cordy, Wood
Williams, Adams, Suckers
JJ, Macrae, Hunter
Wallis, Schache, Daniel
Dahlhaus, Boyd, Gowers
Trengove, Bont, McLean
Dunkley, Lipinski, Richards, Webb

westdog54
19-05-2018, 01:11 PM
How about we all cool our jets until at least the Footscray game is completed.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 01:27 PM

I like having a few opinions thrown up before the VFL match, makes it that bit more interesting. Then after the match we can all adjust our opinions!

GVGjr
19-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Pending satisfactory games for Footscray, I'm leaning towards Morris in for Crozier (freeing Wood up to play the Crozier role) and Adams to come in as a forward and replace Dale.

While these are probably good suggestions Wood and Morris aren't great users of the footy and neither is Trengove and Cordy.
It could create some problems for us.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 02:05 PM
While these are probably good suggestions Wood and Morris aren't great users of the footy and neither is Trengove and Cordy.
It could create some problems for us.

I would argue that Morris, whilst not a brilliant disposer, is at least reliable and he would be ultimately coming in for Crozier who had a disposal efficiency of 55% on the weekend, so reckon we're not losing much there. Williams, Richards and Suckling would still be down there as outlets also.

GVGjr
19-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Footscray play on Sunday so I'd question if Morris and Adams could both be genuine chances for a promotion with a 5 day break given the footy they've missed.

Mantis
19-05-2018, 03:38 PM
Footscray play on Sunday so I'd question if both Morris and Adams could be genuine chances for a promotion with a 5 day break given the footy they've missed.

You would think that if they’re realistic chances to return that we would manage their game time accordingly.

SlimPickens
19-05-2018, 04:40 PM
5 day break for those playing makes things interesting. With that in mind I’d go....

In: Morris

Out: Crozier

GVGjr
19-05-2018, 04:41 PM
You would think that if they’re realistic chances to return that we would manage their game time accordingly.

Would 50 or even 70% game time tomorrow be enough to confidently take them into a Friday night game? Maybe but I'd give Morris more of a chance than Adams

GVGjr
19-05-2018, 04:44 PM
5 day break for those playing makes things interesting. With that in mind I’d go....

In: Morris

Out: Crozier
We probably need to make more than one change but I think this is the most likely scenario.

Go_Dogs
19-05-2018, 04:52 PM

How dare you be logical in light of my post bringing in 3 underdone or untried players!

Twodogs
19-05-2018, 05:00 PM
How dare you be logical in light of my post bringing in 3 underdone or untried players!

He's just not as passionate as us hot headed types.

Eastdog
19-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Hopefully Morris, Adams and Schache can have good games tomorrow and we can get a win.

bornadog
19-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Biggs, Jong, Morris, Adams, and maybe Schache are all possibles, but it is a 5 day turnaround.

Eastdog
19-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Biggs, Jong, Morris, Adams, and maybe Schache are all possibles, but it is a 5 day turnaround.

If it was a Sunday match it would be different but expect one or 2 of those to be named for next Friday.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 07:04 PM

English, Young and HC have been in the team fairly regularly recently and Roarke and Cal Porter have been 23rd men so they must be at least somewhere vaguely around the mark also. We are slowly getting a bit of depth back which is good.

boydogs
19-05-2018, 08:12 PM
I would argue that Morris, whilst not a brilliant disposer, is at least reliable and he would be ultimately coming in for Crozier who had a disposal efficiency of 55% on the weekend, so reckon we're not losing much there. Williams, Richards and Suckling would still be down there as outlets also.

Disposal efficiency was well down for everyone in the rain. We had 10 players 50% or below

Fair chance Morris & Adams will come in off limited game time with the 5 day break. Crozier & Richards would be nervous

Eastdog
19-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Disposal efficiency was well down for everyone in the rain. We had 10 players 50% or below

Fair chance Morris & Adams will come in off limited game time with the 5 day break. Crozier & Richards would be nervous

Richards I think should play but I reckon Crozier and Bailey Dale's spots are fragile.

Eastdog
19-05-2018, 09:17 PM
If Schache plays well again tomorrow he definitely needs to be considered for Friday night.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 09:17 PM

Fair enough, but even season wide he is going at 66%, below average, so I'm not sure we lose a whole lot in disposal effectiveness if he is replaced by Morris.

Happy Days
19-05-2018, 11:49 PM
I only saw parts of the game (and will obviously never see the whole thing) but this is the second time this year that Bailey Dale has given a heavily-compromised and selective effort, which is really disappointing. Has to be dropped.

I'm down to bring in Schache for Gowers if he plays well tomorrow, but understand he has engendered some credit over the previous two weeks. Totally over the consistency with which he butchers the most routine of footballing tasks though, and think we'll be better with Schache as our Full Forward.

I haven't been as displeased with Crozier as the consensus apparently but he can probably make way for Biggs, who (theoretically) plays the small defender/gunner role better than Crozier if locking down takes precedent

The Adelaide Connection
20-05-2018, 04:36 AM
I think changes from the Adelaide game are difficult to call. Dry, Etihad football is a fair way from Friday night and we could probably play better on a bouncy castle than we can at AO in the wet.
Most pundits seemed happy with our team (myself included) till it started pissing down, so I wouldn’t be too upset if it stayed as is. Maybe Morris for Crozier.
I suspect we will know who is in the mix by who get the early shower in the Werribee game

dog town
20-05-2018, 07:44 AM
I hope Schache comes in and dominates but what is everyone basing their calls for him to be promoted on? His form doesn’t warrant it.

He isn’t a KPP at this point either he is an opportunistic type. Needs to add a few ways of getting the ball because he definitely hurts teams when he gets it. The issue with him is as it is with most of our talls is that if you bring in s tall forward who doesn’t play tall then it compromises your team defence without getting any real advantage for it.Schache needs to get himself very fit and be able to hit up at the ball and stay involved longer.

ratsmac
20-05-2018, 10:00 AM
I hope Schache comes in and dominates but what is everyone basing their calls for him to be promoted on? His form doesn’t warrant it.

He isn’t a KPP at this point either he is an opportunistic type. Needs to add a few ways of getting the ball because he definitely hurts teams when he gets it. The issue with him is as it is with most of our talls is that if you bring in s tall forward who doesn’t play tall then it compromises your team defence without getting any real advantage for it.Schache needs to get himself very fit and be able to hit up at the ball and stay involved longer.
Great call dog town. I am of this opinion also. Whilst Schache may have got 2 or 3 goals in the last couple of games, they were mostly roving pack types. I'm yet to see him take a pack mark or even make a strong lead. I want to see repeat leads that may not even be used for a start, and leads that can't be ignored.

His kicking for goal is exactly what we need right now though but I can't see him getting it enough in the seniors. Like you said DT he needs to build on his fitness before he should even be considered. Make him really earn his spot and he'll be a better player for it. Unless he kicks 8 goals or something at Footscray this week , I think we should develop him some more in the two's.

Sedat
20-05-2018, 10:13 AM
Dale is a real head-scratcher. He has some fantastic tools that are in short supply on our list, but he simply doesn't get involved anywhere near enough over the course of 120 minutes.

We are tall enough as it is so I would be very reluctant to substitute someone like Dale for anotner tall. He is just as likely to be a damaging player with his creativity and ball use forward of centre on the fast track of Etihad against the Filth this week. If a mid at Fooscray smashes the door down today then by all means let's look at it. Dale certainly deserves to be in the gun on form.

ratsmac
20-05-2018, 10:50 AM
Dale is a real head-scratcher. He has some fantastic tools that are in short supply on our list, but he simply doesn't get involved anywhere near enough over the course of 120 minutes.

We are tall enough as it is so I would be very reluctant to substitute someone like Dale for anotner tall. He is just as likely to be a damaging player with his creativity and ball use forward of centre on the fast track of Etihad against the Filth this week. If a mid at Fooscray smashes the door down today then by all means let's look at it. Dale certainly deserves to be in the gun on form.
It staggers me to think Macrae was dropped in 2015 because the wasn't doing some things right defensively and Dale gets game after game with minimal impact.

Crozier and Dale should be dropped this week.

westdog54
20-05-2018, 11:17 AM
I don't think there's a player on our list not named Dale Morris that has the tools to keep the lines of Betts and De Goey honest.

Twodogs
20-05-2018, 12:10 PM
It staggers me to think Macrae was dropped in 2015 because the wasn't doing some things right defensively and Dale gets game after game with minimal impact.

Maybe they thought it was worth making the effort with Macrae? Some kids will take something like that and when they are tired or hurt its that idea that they might get dropped next week that spure them to the next contest or wills them to make the tackle.

Some kids get dropped and think "*!*!*!*! this, it's all too hard" and "no matter what I do I will be first to get dropped again" and their performance drops away.

You've got to pick your mark because sometimes what you want to happen is the opposite to what actually happens. It's all about communication, and I don't know how good the communication channels at the club are right now.

Twodogs
20-05-2018, 12:12 PM
I don't think there's a player on our list not named Dale Morris that has the tools to keep the lines of Betts and De Goey honest.

Not since we had the bright idea of giving up Joel Hamling without a fight.

That's where all the rubbish started. When we gave away Hamling. You could also date tge good stuff that started happening to when he arrived at the club too. We got a couple of drafts right, we won games, made the finals and won a flag, players developed really well into spots that we needed to fill, money started to pour into the club, membership boomed, the AFL gave us a half decent fixture, we became a great defending team tgat win its close games.

Hamling went to Freo and it all turned to shit.

Sedat
20-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Like I said, not against these guys getting dropped but we'd want to have some mid sized players that can impact come in to replace them.

bornadog
20-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Does Wood take Degoey? Looks pretty good and 6 goals last night showed why the Pies have stuck with him.

SlimPickens
20-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Does Wood take Degoey? Looks pretty good and 6 goals last night showed why the Pies have stuck with him.

Morris for mine (assuming he gets through today)

bornadog
20-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Morris for mine (assuming he gets through today)

Yeah good point

ratsmac
20-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Like I said, not against these guys getting dropped but we'd want to have some mid sized players that can impact come in to replace them.

I'd rather Biggs than Crozier TBH. Crozier has been very disappointing. With Morris and Adams due to return as well I it might be hard for Biggs to get his spot back.

I get what you mean with Dale though. We are desperate for a fast half forward type with good skills and all indicators point to Dale but he just can't get going. The only like for like we probably have to replace him would be Picken and Dickson who obviously are unavailable.

LostDoggy
20-05-2018, 02:01 PM
Great call dog town. I am of this opinion also. Whilst Schache may have got 2 or 3 goals in the last couple of games, they were mostly roving pack types. I'm yet to see him take a pack mark or even make a strong lead. I want to see repeat leads that may not even be used for a start, and leads that can't be ignored.

His kicking for goal is exactly what we need right now though but I can't see him getting it enough in the seniors. Like you said DT he needs to build on his fitness before he should even be considered. Make him really earn his spot and he'll be a better player for it. Unless he kicks 8 goals or something at Footscray this week , I think we should develop him some more in the two's.

Agree. Hopefully, he'll get a bit more tme rucking, on balling at Footscray also. It'd be goo to see him push his big tank a bit harder and just get his hands on the ball more.

The bulldog tragician
20-05-2018, 03:43 PM

I think that was 2014 under BMac.

Bailey Dale is a frustration. We so badly need clean ball users, and he’s one. But there are long periods in a match where he completely vanishes.

hujsh
20-05-2018, 05:49 PM
I think that was 2014 under BMac.

Bailey Dale is a frustration. We so badly need clean ball users, and he’s one. But there are long periods in a match where he completely vanishes.

I bet it was both

bornadog
20-05-2018, 05:52 PM
I bet it was both

Yes Bevo dropped him in 2015 to improve his defensive side

Bulldog Revolution
20-05-2018, 09:25 PM
I'd rather Biggs than Crozier TBH. Crozier has been very disappointing. With Morris and Adams due to return as well I it might be hard for Biggs to get his spot back.

Crozier has had a chance but hes not got enough credit in the bank to continue playing him

Biggs should come in for him. We will need running power on friday night.

bornadog
20-05-2018, 10:42 PM
I wonder if we will go into Friday unchanged.

MrMahatma
20-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Based on the fact it's hard to judge due to this weekend's weather?

bornadog
20-05-2018, 11:04 PM
Based on the fact it's hard to judge due to this weekend's weather?

5 day turnaround for the VFL players, plus the extreme weather on Friday made it difficult to judge who played well who didn't.

GVGjr
20-05-2018, 11:45 PM

I can't see more than 2 changes occurring but given we got dismantled and couldn't score there is a good chance we will dig in and we won't make any changes.

Twodogs
20-05-2018, 11:51 PM
5 day turnaround for the VFL players, plus the extreme weather on Friday made it difficult to judge who played well who didn't.

It was a good performance in terms of effort. We were just profligate in front of goal.

We were outsmarted but not outcompeted. Do we drop blokes for dumb football? I would.

Eastdog
21-05-2018, 12:48 AM
It was a good performance in terms of effort. We were just profligate in front of goal.

We were outsmarted but not outcompeted. Do we drop blokes for dumb football? I would.

Yeah it wasn't bad in terms of effort at all. We just did not take our chances plain and simple when we had it on our terms. 18 scoring shots to 16 scoring shots 37 point loss well that tells the story.

Bullies
21-05-2018, 09:41 AM
I don't think there's a player on our list not named Dale Morris that has the tools to keep the lines of Betts and De Goey honest. Just need to remember that Morris looked cooked by the end of last season. He was getting beaten in a lot of contests he would normally win. The game can pass you by quickly at his age so there should not be huge expectations on him after 1 game in the 2's.

LostDoggy
21-05-2018, 10:19 AM

Team wide the effort was good, but 1 or 2 players weren't at the level required. Bailey Dale being the prime example. He should be dropped for mine, with a couple more being line ball decisions.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Team wide the effort was good, but 1 or 2 players weren't at the level required. Bailey Dale being the prime example. He should be dropped for mine, with a couple more being line ball decisions.

The wet football really impacted guys like Richards, Lippa, Dale, Webb, and even Mclean who needs some muscle. All of these players are lightly framed and just couldn't go the full 4 quarters in the most atrocious conditions I have seen for years.

I am sticking with no change for Friday.

LostDoggy
21-05-2018, 10:42 AM
The wet football really impacted guys like Richards, Lippa, Dale, Webb, and even Mclean who needs some muscle. All of these players are lightly framed and just couldn't go the full 4 quarters in the most atrocious conditions I have seen for years.

I am sticking with no change for Friday.
I reckon all of the players you mentioned other than Dale were solid enough. I can accept that his output may have been down in the condions, but 0 tackles when the team laid 100+ really is a damning stat.

Axe Man
21-05-2018, 10:55 AM
SCHACHE READY FOR RED, WHITE & BLUE DEBUT (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-monday-may-21-2018/news-story/bcfba7175287d2451a0d8114b2c453fc)

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Dale Morris could spend another week in the VFL as he continues his recovery from a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament but recruit Josh Schache is edging closer towards his first AFL appearance of the year.

Morris came through his first game of the year unscathed yesterday, collecting 11 disposals in Footscray’s eight-point win over Werribee in the VFL.

Footscray coach Steve Grace said the Bulldogs would see how the premiership defender pulled up before deciding if he would play against Collingwood on Friday night.

“Short turnaround, see how he pulls up, see what the needs are of the team,” Grace said when asked if Morris would receive a senior call up.

But Grace labelled Schache’s three-goal performance his best game of the season in another encouraging showing from the former No. 2 draft pick.

Schache finished with six marks and 13 disposals to help Footscray to a 13.6 (84) to 11.10 (74) win.

“Each week he has had his best game and he is really working out it’s not only two or three ways in which he can have involvements in the game,” Grace said.

“There are nine or 10 ways he can involve himself in the game at least and I just want to make sure and we want to make sure that he doesn’t put a cap on how much he can grow in so many areas.

“His contest was solid, saw his running ability here today — I think he blew up two opponents.”

Ozza
21-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Schache's an interesting one. Probably doesn't compete hard enough or defend enough for AFL standards.....but with our goal kicking being at crisis point, I'd be tempted to bring in a bloke who can kick a goal and who can get the odd easy goal. Collingwood have been a side that you can get out the back of and score.

Mofra
21-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Schache's an interesting one. Probably doesn't compete hard enough or defend enough for AFL standards.....but with our goal kicking being at crisis point, I'd be tempted to bring in a bloke who can kick a goal and who can get the odd easy goal. Collingwood have been a side that you can get out the back of and score.
I'm a Bailey Dale fan, but what are we losing in terms of defensive effort if Schache comes in for him?
Pretty sure Schache can replicate his zero tackle effort and Schache demands a tall defender which means Boyd/Roughy/Bont in a marking contest won't get double-teamed.

We have to play pretty much the whole list this year at some point to find out where they are at and while I have my doubts about the Schach he's kicked 9 goals in 3 games so is doing something right.

hujsh
21-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Schache was good with some defensive efforts early as James Cummins pointed out. I think he may have fallen away and tired as the game went on which is something we'd want to fix but should hopefully improve with time and conditioning.

Ozza
21-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Don't take this as me defending Dale's game on Friday night....but there is far more to the defensive side of the game than tackle numbers.

Scrolling to the bottom of the tackle count and saying 'players with x number of tackles or less should be dropped' - is the laziest analysis imaginable. Locking up a player who is going nowhere anyway from a stoppage gives you a tackle - whereas making 2 or 3 efforts to pressure opposition disposal is more important than what gets credited at repeat stoppages.

Mantis
21-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Just need to remember that Morris looked cooked by the end of last season. He was getting beaten in a lot of contests he would normally win. The game can pass you by quickly at his age so there should not be huge expectations on him after 1 game in the 2's.

Just need to remember that his ankle was *!*!*!*!ed and he shouldn't have been playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-05-2018, 12:05 PM
It would be nice to see us actually develop a young talented key forward like Schache, even though he isn't 110% physically ready.

We seem to 'hold off' on key position players (mainly forwards) who are less physically developed and yet happy to throw in under developed backs or mids in the past.

Please - FFS - play Schache and just develop him. If he gets 2 touches, play him again the next week. Just develop him.

hujsh
21-05-2018, 12:17 PM
It would be nice to see us actually develop a young talented key forward like Schache, even though he isn't 110% physically ready.

We seem to 'hold off' on key position players (mainly forwards) who are less physically developed and yet happy to throw in under developed backs or mids in the past.

Please - FFS - play Schache and just develop him. If he gets 2 touches, play him again the next week. Just develop him.

The question is if he's better off in the AFL or VFL at this time for his development. He's performing well at VFL level without dominating so given his history a little time to build confidence rather than throwing him in the deep end might be better long term. I also have no idea what the correct answer is and am really just guessing.

Smads57
21-05-2018, 02:07 PM
One thing to note re Schache in the VFL - for the last few games where two other ruckman have been available, he hasn't rucked at all (i.e. since Campbell/Roughy returned).

This suggests to me he is being developed more as a KF than how Bevo views Boyd's role.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 02:24 PM
One thing to note re Schache in the VFL - for the last few games where two other ruckman have been available, he hasn't rucked at all (i.e. since Campbell/Roughy returned).

This suggests to me he is being developed more as a KF than how Bevo views Boyd's role.

Bevo has had no choice to try and develop Boyd in the second ruck role with Roughy injured at times, Campbell not up to AFL level and English still learning. What else could we do?

Rocco Jones
21-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Dale was putrid Friday Night but I would keep him in due to it being at Etihad and us needing his type. Another sub par performance and I would give him a spell at Footscray.

I thought Roughy was actually okay on Friday however I am worried about going too tall against Collingwood. They only have one real tall forward in Cox and he rotates through the ruck. I would have Zaine down back with Wood and Moz (if fit enough) as flexi defenders. Trengove to play a defensive ruck role vs Grundy.

Ins- Moz, Biggs
Out- Roughy, Crozier

Twodogs
21-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Bevo has had no choice to try and develop Boyd in the second ruck role with Roughy injured at times, Campbell not up to AFL level and English still learning. What else could we do?

Throw players like Dunkley into the ruck?

Go_Dogs
21-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Don't take this as me defending Dale's game on Friday night....but there is far more to the defensive side of the game than tackle numbers.

Scrolling to the bottom of the tackle count and saying 'players with x number of tackles or less should be dropped' - is the laziest analysis imaginable. Locking up a player who is going nowhere anyway from a stoppage gives you a tackle - whereas making 2 or 3 efforts to pressure opposition disposal is more important than what gets credited at repeat stoppages.

Agreed.

Bevo made a point of acknowledging some of his defensive and pressure work the week prior, so don't think he'd get dropped on the basis of 0 tackles. At the moment he needs to do more to find the ball and hurt the opposition though.

If he does play this week, I'd like to see him play as a small-medium marking target in the F50 where he's proven to be smart with his leading and creating separation.

I also wouldn't be adverse to him spending a few weeks in the VFL midfield and getting leather poisoning.

kruder
21-05-2018, 10:29 PM

Boyd played first ruck on Friday night even with Roughead in the side.

bornadog
21-05-2018, 11:11 PM
Boyd played first ruck on Friday night even with Roughead in the side.

You missed the point of the post

kruder
21-05-2018, 11:13 PM
You missed the point of the post

Just goes to show you how bad Roughead is going and the fact that Bevo see's Boyd as a Ruck/Forward. Its pretty clear.

LostDoggy
21-05-2018, 11:29 PM
Anyone reckon we'll put Dicko straight back in. A hard leading forward who finishes must surely be tempting and he's only missed 4 weeks.

Rocket Science
22-05-2018, 12:07 AM
Given our season already has a fork in it and Schache's moderately encouraging efforts at the lower grade, just get him into the bigs and gradually more acclimated with the blokes we want him playing with.

Who knows, with Schache and Dickson up forward we may even double our our goal tally from last round.

Axe Man
22-05-2018, 05:23 PM
DOGS LIKELY TO WAIT ON MORRIS (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-tuesday-may-22-2018/news-story/352e9dff86428551a83dc4e0c7a03425)

CHRIS CAVANAGH reports from Whitten Oval ...

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Dale Morris has been all but ruled out of Friday night’s clash with Collingwood after pulling up sore in his return to the field in the VFL on Sunday.

Morris gathered 14 disposals for Footscray in his first game since partially rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament at training in late February.

Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge said while the soreness out of the game was “nothing major” it meant the defender was unlikely to return to the AFL side against Collingwood as originally hoped and instead could play in the VFL again on Saturday.

“He’s a bit sore, so unlikely to be considered this week,” Beveridge said.

“It’s a five-day turnaround from the VFL. We’ll see how he comes up for Saturday. But he felt his way through the game and he’s been out for a while, so we’ve got to make sure he’s totally right before we bring him into the AFL scene.

“(We were) probably hoping that he’d pull up a little bit better. It’s still early. He only played two days ago. He says he’s a lot better today than he was yesterday so hopefully as the week rolls on he continues to improve and if he’s cherry ripe he’ll definitely play VFL level.”

Beveridge said fellow defender Marcus Adams, who returned from an ankle injury through the VFL on Sunday, pulled up well but will take “a little while to find his form” while forward Tory Dickson has overcome a hamstring injury and “may have a run Friday night” against the Magpies.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 05:34 PM
Bevo also said Josh Schache a chance to debut.

Mofra
22-05-2018, 05:38 PM
We'll need to roll the dice with either Schache or Dickson.
We just have to find a way to improve our forwardline.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Ryan Davidson‏ @davo_media (https://twitter.com/davo_media)

Dale Morris a no show at training but Liam Picken was a welcome sight in his return from concussion. Tory Dickson also training strongly.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 05:43 PM
We'll need to roll the dice with either Schache or Dickson.
We just have to find a way to improve our forwardline.

So ins and outs?

Mofra
22-05-2018, 10:21 PM
So ins and outs?
It's hard to say off a 5 day VFL break but I suspect Dickson will be rushed in and Schache spends one more week at Footscray.

Out? Dale or Webb but I really can't tell what's going on with the MC anymore. We go tall in the wet, short when it's inside and dry. I'm lost.

westbulldog
23-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Schache in Webb out, Crozier on watchlist needs to do better.

Ozza
23-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Sounds like Dickson is a good chance to come straight in. Bevo mentioned that he'd done a massive session on Saturday.

I'm tipping its;

Out: Webb, Dale
In: Dickson, Schache.

Eastdog
23-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Sounds like Dickson is a good chance to come straight in. Bevo mentioned that he'd done a massive session on Saturday.

I'm tipping its;

Out: Webb, Dale
In: Dickson, Schache.

Some forward firepower. Something we desperately need. Dicko will straighten us up.

Mofra
23-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Some forward firepower. Something we desperately need. Dicko will straighten us up.
Will be interesting to see Gowers and Dickson together in the same forwardline. Both mid-sizers who can take a grab, although Dickson is more of a fast leading forward.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Will be interesting to see Gowers and Dickson together in the same forwardline. Both mid-sizers who can take a grab, although Dickson is more of a fast leading forward.

Been a while since Dickson has shown any kind of form as a dangerous forward.

Some justifications for that (injury) but I'm not holding my breath on Dicko anymore.

The Doctor
23-05-2018, 12:32 PM
I'd like to see Webb retained and given a decent go of it this time in the role Dale has been playing as that half forward/winger type.

Schache in for Dale.

Not sure Schache is ready for seniors yet but another avenue to goal can't hurt

BornInDroopSt'54
23-05-2018, 05:11 PM
In: Schache Dickson
Out: Dale Webb

LostDoggy
23-05-2018, 05:15 PM
In: Dickson, R.Smith
Out: Dale, Crozier

Ozza
23-05-2018, 05:21 PM
In: Dickson, R.Smith
Out: Dale, Crozier

Peanuts, I'm interested in your reasoning for suggesting Roarke Smith comes in to the senior side.

LostDoggy
23-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Peanuts, I'm interested in your reasoning for suggesting Roarke Smith comes in to the senior side.

Smith has been solid for Footscray of late, can play a similar role to Crozier and we need to see him at AFL level to work out whether he has a future with us. Now seems a good time. I think Crozier has been struggling a bit, a week or 2 with Footscray may not be a bad thing for him either.

Axe Man
23-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Collingwood are considering recalling Levi Greenwood to tag Macrae.

Happy Days
23-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Collingwood are considering recalling Levi Greenwood to tag Macrae.

Still amazed that Buckley hasn't yet realised people other than Greenwood are capable of tagging.

GVGjr
23-05-2018, 07:48 PM
There are a lot of calls for Schache to be included this week but can we have Roughead, Boyd, Trengove and Schache in the same side?
I know Trengove most likely plays in the backline but with Boyd and Schache in the forward line it looks a lot taller than we have been prepared to consider previously.

While I think Dickson is another week away, could his inclusion be at the expense of Dunkley or could Dunkley, Gowers and Dickson work alongside of Schache and Boyd?

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-05-2018, 07:59 PM
I believe the team is in need of an overhaul and needs strengthening. For that reason I would be happy to see 4 changes.
In. Adams Biggs Jong Schache
Out. Richards Crozier Dale and Webb
Dickson has struggled in the past 2 years and still to be convinced that he should be recalled. I would play Tom Boyd at CHF and Roughead in the ruck. Both Dunkley and Jong can provide support to Roughead. JJ was a disappointment last week up forward and is most damaging at half back.

bornadog
23-05-2018, 08:28 PM
I believe the team is in need of an overhaul and needs strengthening. For that reason I would be happy to see 4 changes.
In. Adams Biggs Jong Schache
Out. Richards Crozier Dale and Webb
Dickson has struggled in the past 2 years and still to be convinced that he should be recalled. I would play Tom Boyd at CHF and Roughead in the ruck. Both Dunkley and Jong can provide support to Roughead. JJ was a disappointment last week up forward and is most damaging at half back.

NBP, are you not worried about the 5 day turnaround

bornadog
23-05-2018, 08:30 PM
There are a lot of calls for Schache to be included this week but can we have Roughead, Boyd, Trengove and Schache in the same side?
I know Trengove most likely plays in the backline but with Boyd and Schache in the forward line it looks a lot taller than we have been prepared to consider previously.

While I think Dickson is another week away, could his inclusion be at the expense of Dunkley or could Dunkley, Gowers and Dickson work alongside of Schache and Boyd?

Many teams play two talls in the forward line, example Westcoast with Darling and Kennedy, so why not us?

GVGjr
23-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Many teams play two talls in the forward line, example Westcoast with Darling and Kennedy, so why not us?

I'm not saying we shouldn't but we appear to have done our best not to so far.

So if you think Schache and Boyd works as key forwards does the forward line get unbalanced if we also potentially have Dickson, Gowers and Dunkley there as well?

bornadog
23-05-2018, 08:36 PM

So if you think Schache and Boyd works as key forwards does the forward line get unbalanced if we also potentially have Dickson, Gowers and Dunkley there as well?

Gowers and Dickson would have to work as crumbers. Not sure about Dunkley

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-05-2018, 08:41 PM
NBP, are you not worried about the 5 day turnaround

Providing they are fit, playing against a non- aligned VFL Club in Werribee shouldn’t be a concern. It isn’t if they were playing against AFL opposition.

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 09:21 PM

At stages last week we had Roughead as our tall in the forward line. Schache would have to be an upgrade on him in the forward line anyway. At least Schache can kick straight.

chef
23-05-2018, 09:28 PM
We should be trying to get as many games into Shaq as we can and getting him to gel up forward with Boyd. This seasons about development not results.

Dry Rot
23-05-2018, 11:35 PM
Not since we had the bright idea of giving up Joel Hamling without a fight.

Hamling caused some confusion amongst the SCG members on Saturday night.

Amongst all the "Go Swans!" and "Go Buddy!" cries in the stand was an old bloke in a Bulldogs scarf shouting "Hamling, you traitor!" and "Hammer the traitor!" when Hamling was near the ball up my end.

Dunno who that old weird Doggies fan was....

kruder
23-05-2018, 11:40 PM
Agree need to have a look at Shaq, Roughead's poor form since the premiership and that fact he isn't fit enough to play first ruck for the majority gives us the opportunity. He also adds very little in the forward line. It looks like the club see's Boyd as a Ruck/Forward rightly or wrongly so he starts first ruck again. Crozier and Dunkley to also make way both have been poor for a few weeks now.

In Shaq Dickson Biggs
Out Roughead Crozier Dunkley

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Hamling caused some confusion amongst the SCG members on Saturday night.

Amongst all the "Go Swans!" and "Go Buddy!" cries in the stand was an old bloke in a Bulldogs scarf shouting "Hamling, you traitor!" and "Hammer the traitor!" when Hamling was near the ball up my end.

Dunno who that old weird Doggies fan was....

I've met him before, he's a strange one but he seems nice enough. He's ultimately harmless.

Dry Rot
23-05-2018, 11:56 PM
I've met him before, he's a strange one but he seems nice enough. He's ultimately harmless.

Yes, I've met some very odd Doggies fans at the SCG.

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 11:59 PM
Yes, I've met some odd Doggies fans at the SCG.

I've had some wild times at the SCG.

soupman
24-05-2018, 12:47 AM
I think we line up as follows:

Wood takes De Goey, Cordy on Cox. Wary of Fasolo and to a lesser extent Mayne, but no hard matchup as such.

Trengove goes forward for the role he came to the club to play. We don't need him in defence. Boyd to ruck. Dickosn comes in, hopefully with Gowers, Dickson and Trengove Howe can't cover them all.

Webb and Crozier stay, they both played probably their best games for the season on the weekend, which really goes to show how poor their seasons have been, but considering the likely replacements have been utter shite then they stay by default.

Roughead continued an underwhelming post GF career, and makes way for team balance. As always we don't pick height for the sake of it, and Roughead didn't exactly scream pick me. Besides, Collingwood are a short side, no point going in too tall against them. Also Grundy will kill him around the ground, we'd be backing in a tag team of Trengove, Boyd and Dunkley to do a better job.

Schache to be considered for the Trengove role up forward until they realise they have no one for Trengove to play on down back.

So one change:
Dickson in for Roughead.

The Adelaide Connection
24-05-2018, 02:04 AM

Wood takes De Goey, Cordy on Cox. Wary of Fasolo and to a lesser extent Mayne, but no hard matchup as such.

Trengove goes forward for the role he came to the club to play. We don't need him in defence. Boyd to ruck. Dickosn comes in, hopefully with Gowers, Dickson and Trengove Howe can't cover them all.

Webb and Crozier stay, they both played probably their best games for the season on the weekend, which really goes to show how poor their seasons have been, but considering the likely replacements have been utter shite then they stay by default.

Roughead continued an underwhelming post GF career, and makes way for team balance. As always we don't pick height for the sake of it, and Roughead didn't exactly scream pick me. Besides, Collingwood are a short side, no point going in too tall against them. Also Grundy will kill him around the ground, we'd be backing in a tag team of Trengove, Boyd and Dunkley to do a better job.

Schache to be considered for the Trengove role up forward until they realise they have no one for Trengove to play on down back.

So one change:
Dickson in for Roughead.

Fasolo is out so won’t need to worry about him anyways, but his replacement is likely to be Ben Reid.

LostDoggy
24-05-2018, 08:47 AM

So one change:
Dickson in for Roughead.

Collingwood were isolating De Goey deep forward last week and he was consistently too powerful for his opponent. I'd be more inclined to go Cordy on De Goey, Trengove on Cox (includng Ruck contests forward) and Wood on Stephenson, who has some serious athletic weapons.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-05-2018, 10:41 AM
IN: Schache, Dickson, Biggs
OUT: Roughead, Dunkley, Crozier

I thought Roughead started OK last week but faded badly. He doesn't seem fit enough yet. Not writing him off completely but a tall has to make way and he's the less versatile and performed of Boyd/Trengove. Still think in an ideal world we have Roughead as #1 ruck, Boyd as #1 forward and Trengove as a key defender but just not this week.

Dunkley has been awful. I know he's versatile but he has failed the 'eye test' miserably this year. Incredibly slow with poor skills, a big body like him should have been more effective last week. I've been pretty disappointed in his season.

Crozier is rubbish as a defender. He has absolutely no defensive presence whatsoever, he doesn't provide much rebound and his skills are overrated. I'd prefer we try him up forward but for now he shouldn't be in the side IMO.

Schache is probably not 'ready' but we need to develop him FFS. Part of development is actually playing at the top level. We aren't playing finals, so use this year to pump games into him. If we're "too tall", I don't care - Schache and Boyd are two who have to play.

Dickson replaces Dunkley as a forward and Biggs replaces Crozier. Self explanatory. As a side note, Dickson and Biggs somewhat reflect our fall from grace. Two players who were exceptional in 2016 and particularly the finals, neither have fired a single shot since.

The Pie Man
24-05-2018, 11:26 AM
IN: Schache, Dickson, Biggs
OUT: Roughead, Dunkley, Crozier

I thought Roughead started OK last week but faded badly. He doesn't seem fit enough yet. Not writing him off completely but a tall has to make way and he's the less versatile and performed of Boyd/Trengove. Still think in an ideal world we have Roughead as #1 ruck, Boyd as #1 forward and Trengove as a key defender but just not this week.

Dunkley has been awful. I know he's versatile but he has failed the 'eye test' miserably this year. Incredibly slow with poor skills, a big body like him should have been more effective last week. I've been pretty disappointed in his season.

Crozier is rubbish as a defender. He has absolutely no defensive presence whatsoever, he doesn't provide much rebound and his skills are overrated. I'd prefer we try him up forward but for now he shouldn't be in the side IMO.

Schache is probably not 'ready' but we need to develop him FFS. Part of development is actually playing at the top level. We aren't playing finals, so use this year to pump games into him. If we're "too tall", I don't care - Schache and Boyd are two who have to play.

Dickson replaces Dunkley as a forward and Biggs replaces Crozier. Self explanatory. As a side note, Dickson and Biggs somewhat reflect our fall from grace. Two players who were exceptional in 2016 and particularly the finals, neither have fired a single shot since.

Hard to argue with any of that.

This I doubt you'll agree with, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Boyd/Schache ruck / forward combo longer term. I know they thought Trengove could be that hybrid role, but he seems to make more sense as a defender right now...especially with Mason Cox in the Collingwood forward line.

I'd maybe drop Dale and swing Crozier forward.....maybe....

Ozza
24-05-2018, 11:53 AM
We should be trying to get as many games into Shaq as we can and getting him to gel up forward with Boyd. This seasons about development not results.

We don’t play Boyd as a forward, so probably not that important to worry about Shaq and Boyd working in unison.

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Do we really need to shield Schache? It's not as if he is a first year player who hasn't played an AFL game. He's played 27 games already. I know most of them weren't earned but he is an experienced AFL footballer.

Mofra
24-05-2018, 12:10 PM
Do we really need to shield Schache? It's not as if he is a first year player who hasn't played an AFL game. He's played 27 games already. I know most of them weren't earned but he is an experienced AFL footballer.
Personally I don't think so as he doesn't really play like a KPP, more a leading high forward type.
If that's the case we're not losing anything by playing him in Dunkley's role as long as he can cover the ground (one article during the week noted Dunkley is in our top 3 for average kms covered per game).

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Personally I don't think so as he doesn't really play like a KPP, more a leading high forward type.
If that's the case we're not losing anything by playing him in Dunkley's role as long as he can cover the ground (one article during the week noted Dunkley is in our top 3 for average kms covered per game).

From what I could see on Sunday Schache got up and down the ground alright. They played iphim in tgat hybrid ruck/inside mid role that Boyd was playing for a while and he kept up with play.

bornadog
24-05-2018, 12:22 PM
Wallis, Dunkley and Webb training with VFL team

Ozza
24-05-2018, 02:07 PM

We wouldn’t we just play Dunkley, in Dunkley’s role?

Mofra
24-05-2018, 05:07 PM
We wouldn’t we just play Dunkley, in Dunkley’s role?
If Schache is earning a spot then Dunkley can go back to playing midfield if he's up to it.
Dunkley doesn't have a god-given right to the high forward marking role and he can play in other positions.

Doggy
24-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Roarke Smith is in.

bornadog
24-05-2018, 07:27 PM
Wallis, Dunkley and Webb training with VFL team

All out

In; Schache, Roarke and Dicko

PP got this one right with RS

bulldogtragic
24-05-2018, 07:29 PM
All out

In; Schache, Roarke and Dicko

PP got this one right with RS

Three guys who can run through the middle for three that can't. Interesting for this MC.

So if Roughy rucks, Boyd (P1) & Schache (P2) playing forward together. Stuff of fantasies, I hope they do ok or the backlash from 'fans' that give one game as enough proof of failure will be strong.

FrediKanoute
24-05-2018, 07:34 PM
What did Mitch Wallis do wrong? I thought he was one of our best over the last few weeks? How does Crozier keeep his spot?

bulldogtragic
24-05-2018, 07:35 PM
What did Mitch Wallis do wrong? I thought he was one of our best over the last few weeks? How does Crozier keeep his spot?

On Crozier, perhaps he has one last chance up forward with Smith in his spot in the HBF?

Greystache
24-05-2018, 07:46 PM
On Crozier, perhaps he has one last chance up forward with Smith in his spot in the HBF?

Didn't Freo spend 7 years trying to turn him into an AFL forward with no success?

I heard during preseason we really wanted to get Crozier into the team because he looks like he should be a nice player, the problem was he'd been tried as a midfielder, forward, and defender without success. Seems to ring true.

bornadog
24-05-2018, 07:52 PM

Crozier must be doing what is asked of him.

Same as Dale, but not sure what it is.

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 07:56 PM
Didn't Freo spend 7 years trying to turn him into an AFL forward with no success?

I heard during preseason we really wanted to get Crozier into the team because he looks like he should be a nice player, the problem was he'd been tried as a midfielder, forward, and defender without success. Seems to ring true.

Like those bowlers who look like Bradman in the nets but just can't play the same shots under match conditions.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2018, 07:57 PM

Yep, and I'm just trying to make sense of it spitballing into the wind. The MC must see many things in games I don't.

ratsmac
24-05-2018, 08:12 PM

How Crozier and Dale didn't get dropped is unbelievable. They have struggled for weeks. They better honour the coach with a ripper game tomorrow night.

Mitch Wallis is one of our hardest workers in our team. I wonder what the reasoning behind dropping him is.

On paper this team doesn't look to bad TBH. The Dahl, Boyd, Gowers, Daniel, Schache, Dickson forward set up is very decent looking.

Nuggety Back Pocket
24-05-2018, 08:15 PM

Both Crozier and Dale can consider themselves lucky to be selected. It perhaps highlights our lack of depth.

Sedat
24-05-2018, 08:30 PM
Three guys who can run through the middle for three that can't. Interesting for this MC.

So if Roughy rucks, Boyd (P1) & Schache (P2) playing forward together. Stuff of fantasies, I hope they do ok or the backlash from 'fans' that give one game as enough proof of failure will be strong.
We certainly haven't lost any pace with the outs.

Bont in the middle for most of the game together with a red-hot Macrae and McLean. Nice attacking move by the MC.

Sedat
24-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Mitch Wallis is one of our hardest workers in our team. I wonder what the reasoning behind dropping him is.
Harsh, but he was really poor last week in conditions tailor-made for him. We were smashed in clearances and CP's last week.

LostDoggy
24-05-2018, 08:47 PM
How Crozier and Dale didn't get dropped is unbelievable. They have struggled for weeks. They better honour the coach with a ripper game tomorrow night.

On paper this team doesn't look to bad TBH. The Dahl, Boyd, Gowers, Daniel, Schache, Dickson forward set up is very decent looking.

Im not saying I necessrily agree, but with 3 talls coming into the team in the past 2 weeks (Trengove, Roughy, Schache) the obvious worry is a lack of running power/legspeed. With that in mind, removing 3 of our slower midsize players (Dunkley, Webb, Wallis) makes some sense.

Bullies
24-05-2018, 08:50 PM
The Grub - Greenwood in the Collingwood team to no doubt play on Macrae. He is all filth.

kruder
24-05-2018, 08:51 PM

Mitch lacks a little endurance I reckon, he seems to float in and out of games, he is the type of player that needs to play on the edge 100% of the time to be a successful AFL player. His benchmark was the return game against Geelong last year he played with real purpose that night and when he has the fierce attack on the ball and player his hands in close, ability to kick goals and connect a player inside 50 really shines.

bulldogtragic
24-05-2018, 08:51 PM
We certainly haven't lost any pace with the outs.

Bont in the middle for most of the game together with a red-hot Macrae and McLean. Nice attacking move by the MC.

Yep. Bont rucking in the middle to negate Grundy...

Bullies
24-05-2018, 09:03 PM

I heard during preseason we really wanted to get Crozier into the team because he looks like he should be a nice player, the problem was he'd been tried as a midfielder, forward, and defender without success. Seems to ring true. Crozier was the love child of Dalrymple who missed him in the draft and then tried a number of times to get him over from Freo. Freo then realised he was no good and gave Dal his wish.

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 09:09 PM
Crozier was the love child of Dalrymple who missed him in the draft and then tried a number of times to get him over from Freo. Freo then realised he was no good and gave Dal his wish.

Then we should have made it a condition of Dalrymple getting out of his contract a year early that he took Crozier up to Sydney with him.

But knowing Sydney they would turn Crozier into a star up there.

Sedat
24-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Yep. Bont rucking in the middle to negate Grundy...
Hehe - with Roughy as an inside mid.

One of Bont and Macrae will get off the chain. Greenwood will blow up before half time if he tries to go with Jack.

Ozza
24-05-2018, 10:52 PM
Im not saying I necessrily agree, but with 3 talls coming into the team in the past 2 weeks (Trengove, Roughy, Schache) the obvious worry is a lack of running power/legspeed. With that in mind, removing 3 of our slower midsize players (Dunkley, Webb, Wallis) makes some sense.

Dunks is not one of our slowest midfielders. Would be amongst the quickest at the club.

bornadog
24-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Dunks is not one of our slowest midfielders. Would be amongst the quickest at the club.

That surprises me, to me he is very slow.

Ozza
24-05-2018, 11:20 PM
That surprises me, to me he is very slow.

Probably should clarify that it depends on what sort of pace we are talking about.
I think most supporters think of ‘quick players’ as the ones that are agile, or quick over 10-15 metres. Fair enough Dunks might not be quick there - but in terms of the ability to spread and run 50-100 metres and burn off an opponent - which I think is more important for midsrt6, there wouldn’t be many that do that as well as Dunks at the bulldogs.

soupman
24-05-2018, 11:30 PM
Is that a fact or just your observation?

Cause to me neither his acceleration nor topline sustained speed are even close to above average, and he looked incredibly slow everytime we kicked it in front of him in Adelaide. Maybe his speed suffers from the distance he covers, but I can't see him being faster than at least a third of our players and we are a slow side.

bornadog
24-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Probably should clarify that it depends on what sort of pace we are talking about.
I think most supporters think of ‘quick players’ as the ones that are agile, or quick over 10-15 metres. Fair enough Dunks might not be quick there - but in terms of the ability to spread and run 50-100 metres and burn off an opponent - which I think is more important for midsrt6, there wouldn’t be many that do that as well as Dunks at the bulldogs.

I see wht you mean. Also covers alot of kls over a game

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 11:40 PM

It's a different sport but I can remember Frank Farina being lionised as one of the quickest players in the world and, fair enough, there were times when Frank would flash down the wing and not one player on the pitch could keep pace with him. The problem was that nine times out of ten Frank would have given up possession of the ball at the start of his run.

Leg speed can be overrated. Footy smarts and being able to judge where the ball is going off the boot is more valuable.

jeemak
25-05-2018, 12:41 AM
It's such a pleasant surprise to see us have genuine tall options forward........assuming we play our tall options forward.

The side does look balanced, and dare I say it, conventional which is really bucking the trend for us. My preference would be for Dickson to be closer to goal though, and all of Cordy, Wood and Williams are going to have to pile on the hard work across half back to ensure Suckling and Crozier aren't exposed defensively. Having said that, if we can work the intercept well and peel off, we in theory have three attacking users in Williams, Suckling and Crozier who can get us going by foot on the rebound.

dog town
25-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Hope I’m way off the mark but I really don’t like the side we have picked. We are very tall without having any talls that can take a grab to use that advantage. It’s possible they are worried about Grundy and are willing to lose some effectiveness forward to allow us two rucks. I just don’t like the balance.

To contradict what I have written above Bevo has a great record of knowing when to bring in new blood to give the teams spike in energy. I get the feeling that is what he has done here to get some enthusiasm into the team.

bornadog
25-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Hope I’m way off the mark but I really don’t like the side we have picked. We are very tall without having any talls that can take a grab to use that advantage. It’s possible they are worried about Grundy and are willing to lose some effectiveness forward to allow us two rucks. I just don’t like the balance.

To contradict what I have written above Bevo has a great record of knowing when to bring in new blood to give the teams spike in energy. I get the feeling that is what he has done here to get some enthusiasm into the team.

Bringing Roarke Smith in is a bit of a bold move as well. I thought he was ok last week, but the week before he was ordinary. He has jumped the queue with Biggs languishing at VFL level as is Jong plus we dropped three. Is he better than Dunkley and Wallis?

Ozza
25-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Is that a fact or just your observation?

Cause to me neither his acceleration nor topline sustained speed are even close to above average, and he looked incredibly slow everytime we kicked it in front of him in Adelaide. Maybe his speed suffers from the distance he covers, but I can't see him being faster than at least a third of our players and we are a slow side.

The GPS tracking data regularly shows Dunks amongst the highest average speed.

There's plenty of players whose speed is deceiving. Bont can look slow, but you don't players mowing him down from behind. Hunter looks slow, but is actually one of our quickest over 20m and registered the highest maximum speed (32.6km/h) in the game against Carlton.

The Pie Man
25-05-2018, 11:35 AM
The GPS tracking data regularly shows Dunks amongst the highest average speed.

There's plenty of players whose speed is deceiving. Bont can look slow, but you don't players mowing him down from behind. Hunter looks slow, but is actually one of our quickest over 20m and registered the highest maximum speed (32.6km/h) in the game against Carlton.

Interesting - how relevant is average speed though?

One example to support the 'Dunkley is slow' contention is his chase of a loose ball in our forward line last Friday where the Adelaide player giving chase got to him so easily ...made up about 3 metres in maybe 2 seconds. Cost us a F50 entry/potential shot at goal.

LostDoggy
25-05-2018, 01:36 PM
It's gonna be fascinating to see how we structure up tonight. It's been a long time since we've had such a numerical advantage in the big man department:

Dogs >193; 6 - Boyd 200, Roughy 200, Schache 199, Trengove 197, Cordy 193, Bont 193.
Pies >193; 3 - Cox 211, Grundy 203, Reid 196.

Twodogs
25-05-2018, 02:23 PM
It's gonna be fascinating to see how we structure up tonight. It's been a long time since we've had such a numerical advantage in the big man department:

Dogs >193; 6 - Boyd 200, Roughy 200, Schache 199, Trengove 197, Cordy 193, Bont 193.
Pies >193; 3 - Cox 211, Grundy 203, Reid 196.

Would it go back as far as when we were lining up with Dempsey, Quinlan, Sandilands, Templeton and Ian Salmon or the like?

The game has changed a bit. The only player out of that forrest of talls listed there who is taller than the Bont is Gary Dempsey. And Dempsey is only 4 CMs taller.

Bullies
25-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Dunks is not one of our slowest midfielders. Would be amongst the quickest at the club. I'd like to see them play Dunks down back like his old man did. Let him run at the ball and start taking his grabs.

Mofra
25-05-2018, 04:33 PM
I'd like to see them play Dunks down back like his old man did. Let him run at the ball and start taking his grabs.
In this day and age the better kicks are behind the ball an poorer kicks in front of the ball, it's reverse world from 20 years ago.

Dunkley still has fantastic hands and long term will be a player, getting him to do the basics in the VFL for a few weeks won't hurt him.

LostDoggy
25-05-2018, 05:00 PM
What are people's thoughts on defensive roles? Collingwood have a few midfielders who can use it really well - Sidebottom, Treloar, Pendlebury, but I'm not sure who we've got best suited to play a run with role. Maybe Dahlhaus to Sidebottom?