PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 11, 2018 vs Melbourne

Eastdog
15-04-2018, 04:49 PM
If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 11, 2018 match against Melbourne at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 11, 2018 match against Melbourne at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
25-05-2018, 10:46 PM
Bump

The Bulldogs Bite
25-05-2018, 11:26 PM
Crozier - Never play again
Dale - Not up to the physicality of AFL
Wood - Captain? Please.
JJ - Bruise free.

China Dog
25-05-2018, 11:49 PM
Absolute agree with JJ 'bruise free'. No effort to chase or tackle, looking for the cheap kicks.

Greystache
25-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Out-
Dale- he'd need to do a lot right to get another chance for me. Lacks so much of what a player needs to make it at AFL level.

Crozier- He's never resembled an AFL footballer and now we're stuck with his contract. If the salary cap allows surely we delist him and take another pick in the draft?

Wood/JJ- Need to make a statement and these two have been terrible. I'd lean towards JJ given his obvious lack of courage on a number of occasions.

In-
Jong- He lacks polish but so does most of the team and he at least won't shirk the contest.

Biggs- We need him playing well in a team with so little creativity. Make our break for him.

Morris- Hopefully something resembling leadership

If Cordy doesn't come up bring in Adams.

MrMahatma
25-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Out: Wood, Crozier

In:Adams, Biggs

The Doctor
26-05-2018, 12:09 AM
Out:

Dale - pissweak footballer, not to return til he learns to tackle, learns to crack in, and not slip over when it's his turn to do something

Crozier - AGREE with everyone else

In:

Me - I can't be worse

Morris - hopefully

bulldogtragic
26-05-2018, 12:18 AM
Out:

Crozier. Been poor at half back. Putrid at half forward. The softest player on our list (says a lot). Out now.
Bailey Dale. I’m hopeful things turn forward again for him, but he’s not working throw this form slump.
JJ. As above re statement. I said try him forward. I was wrong. Don’t ever do it. I’m not sure if his head or heart is in it right now.
INJURY - Cordy on concussion. Hopefully Adams, Naughton &/or Morris is fit.

In:

Jong. Need that hard inside body and burst pace.
Biggs. Covering JJ/Crozier at half back. At least you can’t label him as soft.
Best performed midfielder.

Too Hard Basket:

Dahl. 1.4 (8 misses) for the year. If we want to make a statement about minimum required skill sets. Too hard with contracts.

Hunter. There’s a fine line between having a laconic style and being lazy with disposal. He still looks highly unlikely to kick a simple set shot and tonight his field kicking was poor. We cannot drop him, he’s too good a player even at laconic/lazy level, but I want somehow for a coach to get into his head about fixing his skills up and in the process elevate him to the player he could become. These things should’ve been sorted by now.

angelopetraglia
26-05-2018, 12:35 AM
Out:

Crozier - Cant see any redeeming features
Smith - Just don't see how he gets a game in front of others. What does he bring?

In:

Wallis - need another mid who cracks in
Jong - need another mid who cracks in

On notice:

JJ - two contests that I saw where he took short steps, just not good enough
Easton - Where has the 2015 Easton Wood gone? He was like a brick wall.

westbulldog
26-05-2018, 12:47 AM
Out, for an extended period - Crozier Dale
In - Morris (as Captain would be nice at this point) /Adams/Biggs, Wallis

SlimPickens
26-05-2018, 09:10 AM
Out: Crozier, Dale, Roughy

In: Campbell, Jong, Wallis

Jong to play forward with the instruction to pressure. TC to ruck 80%, Wally in because he should be.

G-Mo77
26-05-2018, 09:19 AM

Jong to play forward with the instruction to pressure. TC to ruck 80%, Wally in because he should be.

Why was Wally dropped in the first place? Idiotic omission.

Bullies
26-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Out : Crozier, Smith, Gowers ( I don't see what everyone else does), Roughy

In : Wallis, Jong, Campbell, Biggs

Dahl and JJ can be considered lucky as we have no depth

SlimPickens
26-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Why was Wally dropped in the first place? Idiotic omission.

Very odd. They must have something specific that he isn’t doing.

Go_Dogs
26-05-2018, 11:58 AM
On Dale, I thought he had some much better defensive efforts last night (at times).

Changes...

Out: Crozier, Gowers
In: Biggs, Dunkley

bornadog
26-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Out: Crozier, Dale

In: Jong, Biggs

GVGjr
26-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Surely Cordy will miss? I think we would be gun shy to play someone who was concussed.
If we assume that, who would you play?

SlimPickens
26-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Surely Cordy will miss? I think we would be gun shy to play someone who was concussed.

That’s not my assumption at all. Looking a Zaine through the second half I think we took an ultra conservative approach (which is right). With an 8 day break, I think he’ll be fine

Twodogs
26-05-2018, 01:22 PM
That’s not my assumption at all. Looking a Zaine through the second half I think we took an ultra conservative approach (which is right). With an 8 day break, I think he’ll be fine

Yeah I didn't think he looked that bad, it was just Zimmerman got next to him and refused to let him out on the ground again.

bornadog
26-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Naughton will be ready by next week, does he come straight in?

GVGjr
26-05-2018, 06:18 PM
Naughton will be ready by next week, does he come straight in?

I suppose we have the chance of Morris, Young, Adams, Naughton and Roberts to consider if Cordy is out. If fit Naughton might be ahead of the others but Young is also a good chance

josie
26-05-2018, 07:14 PM
I think club will wait until after bye on Morris and Adams. So if Cordy out I reckon either Naughton or Young. Young played ok in vfl today. Becoming rather impressed by Reuben Williams. He is looking more comfortable with his teammates and reads his the play well. Seems to fumble less than some of his more experienced teammates too. Reckon the club might rookie him.

I thought Crozier looked ok in forward line and not so good in backline-had to go there after Cordy left. Also thought Smith not as bad as some make out and at least looked a bit quicker and kept his feet pretty well. I think he will be retained.

Honey kicked two nice goals from about 35 to 40 m out today so he might get a call up. Neither Wallis, Dunkley or Jong convinced me they should be brought back in.

I do think Webb should be given 4 or so weeks to prove if he can play in seniors. Let him have a go in the midfield. Some of his kicking today was pretty good and he was contesting well except for 4th qtr when the dogs fell in a black hole and made a lot of the pies players look like usain bolt. Quite worried about our lack of pace in afl and vfl sides.

Sedat
26-05-2018, 07:19 PM
I suppose we have the chance of Morris, Young, Adams, Naughton and Roberts to consider if Cordy is out. If fit Naughton might be ahead of the others but Young is also a good chance
We have no less than 5 key defensive options to come in for Cordy - that is ridiculous list management, and not in a good way.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-05-2018, 07:37 PM
We have no less than 5 key defensive options to come in for Cordy - that is ridiculous list management, and not in a good way.

We also 7 half back flankers to choose from in Wood JJ, Suckling, Williams,Crozier, Webb and R Smith, which makes you realise how unbalanced our list has become.

EasternWest
26-05-2018, 09:43 PM
Yeah I didn't think he looked that bad, it was just Zimmerman got next to him and refused to let him out on the ground again.

Good.

Players will always want to go back on. I'm glad the doc kept him out.

Twodogs
26-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Good.

Players will always want to go back on. I'm glad the doc kept him out.

I must admit that just looking at someone on the TV isn't a reccomended method of diagnosis for concussion.

EasternWest
26-05-2018, 10:27 PM
I must admit that just looking at someone on the TV isn't a reccomended method of diagnosis for concussion.

No and similarly it's no basis for me to validate the Dr's decision either. I'd just rather they not take any chances.

Twodogs
26-05-2018, 11:21 PM
No and similarly it's no basis for me to validate the Dr's decision either. I'd just rather they not take any chances.

Tend to agree. But then I've been lucky enough to have been concussed (a branch fell out of a tree and knocked me out one day at primary school-how unlucky can you get?) so I know it's not something you want to fool around with.

EasternWest
27-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Tend to agree. But then I've been lucky enough to have been concussed (a branch fell out of a tree and knocked me out one day at primary school-how unlucky can you get?) so I know it's not something you want to fool around with.

I got knocked off my pushie by a mate once and knocked out cold. I was useless for a week and NQR for a month. I don't know how players come back so quickly.

I think about Monty in the 06 EF and shudder.

Twodogs
27-05-2018, 11:53 PM
I got knocked off my pushie by a mate once and knocked out cold. I was useless for a week and NQR for a month. I don't know how players come back so quickly.

I think about Monty in the 06 EF and shudder.

I was knocked out in a school footy match-staff v students, my economics teacher knocked me out. I'd kicked the first two and he warned me "you touch the ball again this quarter and it's the last thing you'll do" I got another kick and was standing in the goal square, lost sight if the old bastard and then the lights went out. I remember coming to and thinking how snugly I fitted in the goalsquare and that he must have waited until I was standing in just the right spot before he took his swing. I was pretty wobbly for a while after, my legs didn't work properly for a couple of days and I had a bruise on my jaw.

I wouldn't mind running into the old turd these days.

Avoid the rush
28-05-2018, 07:29 AM
What about we play JJ on the HBF, and if fit, try Cordy as a defensive forward, and Bonte in the midfield and Biggs off the other HBF and Dahl as a small forward and Dunkly in the midfield and Wood floating around the backline chopping of the ball at will and.....oh yeah we tried that and won a premiership.

Ozza
28-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Out: Roughy, Dale, Crozier
IN: TC (but only if he rucks for 100% of the time he is on the field), Wally, Dunks.

Dunks wasn't good in the VFL - but he is in our best 22 and you know we will get huge effort and strong contest for 4 quarters - in a team that is not applying itself for 4 quarters.

LostDoggy
28-05-2018, 11:24 AM
In: Young, Wallis, Dunkley
Out: Cordy, Dale, Crozier

Most of us had Dale and Crozier as probable outs last week for consistently failing to contribue sufficiently. Neither gave much again ad surely have to be dropped. Our defensive work was so poor last week, I'd like to see Wallis and Dunkley come in as half fowards with a view to strengthening how hard we work off the ball.

I really feel Cordy should not play this week. He's got 10-15 years of throwing himself manically into contests and concussions are very delicate things to diagnose/manage, especially the cumulative nature of them. If he gets this week off, with the bye next week, he gets a 3 week recovery time. Young has played well at Footscray and has earned a recall. Given where we are at, playing Cordy this week makes no sense at all to me.

soupman
28-05-2018, 11:40 AM
In: Young, Wallis, Dunkley
Out: Cordy, Dale, Crozier

Most of us had Dale and Crozier as probable outs last week for consistently failing to contribue sufficiently. Neither gave much again ad surely have to be dropped. Our defensive work was so poor last week, I'd like to see Wallis and Dunkley come in as half fowards with a view to strengthening how hard we work off the ball.

I really feel Cordy should not play this week. He's got 10-15 years of throwing himself manically into contests and concussions are very delicate things to diagnose/manage, especially the cumulative nature of them. If he gets this week off, with the bye next week, he gets a 3 week recovery time. Young has played well at Footscray and has earned a recall. Given where we are at, playing Cordy this week makes no sense at all to me.

I'm with you. i love Cordy but having seen the formline of players to recently suffer concussion for us and come back the following week (Liberatore and Picken are two that spring to mind) I think we need to adopt a one week off policy to ensure that they are right both for their and the teams best interests.

craigsahibee
28-05-2018, 11:55 AM
I'm with you. i love Cordy but having seen the formline of players to recently suffer concussion for us and come back the following week (Liberatore and Picken are two that spring to mind) I think we need to adopt a one week off policy to ensure that they are right both for their and the teams best interests.

Yep. Given that we have the bye the following week it's a great opportunity for Zaine to rest up and ensure that he is 100% ok to come back after the break.

craigsahibee
28-05-2018, 12:03 PM
What about we play JJ on the HBF, and if fit, try Cordy as a defensive forward, and Bonte in the midfield and Biggs off the other HBF and Dahl as a small forward and Dunkly in the midfield and Wood floating around the backline chopping of the ball at will and.....oh yeah we tried that and won a premiership.

Yeah, nah. So what you're trying to say is play our best available players in the positions that they play best.

Surely that's what the opposition would expect us to do.

Nah. Give the current game plan time to gel. Slow ball movement to players in unfamiliar roles. It seems to have confused our guys so all we need now is for the opposition to be as equally confused and we're good to go.

bornadog
28-05-2018, 12:18 PM
Slow ball movement to players in unfamiliar roles.

This was the biggest difference, we tried to play the possession game but couldn't move the ball fast enough to the forward line, to give the forwards some chance. Dickson, Schache, Gowers were starved in the second half of any delivery.

I blame this solely on the weak midfield we have.

bulldogtragic
28-05-2018, 12:33 PM
This was the biggest difference, we tried to play the possession game but couldn't move the ball fast enough to the forward line, to give the forwards some chance. Dickson, Schache, Gowers were starved in the second half of any delivery.

Yep. It's easy to pot forwards, but Tony Lockett would've been possession-less in that last half. We finally had tall targets who were looking threatening in the first half, but then gave them no chance to get into the game. This is likely to continue unless we can get a Gaff like free agent, try to get Kelly from GWS, or similar type, offering a great draft pick (circa pick 5) or draft a great kid. I prefer the Kelly type option because if there's another great tall defender at pick 5, guess what we are doing with it. Or a hard at it mid who can't kick.

bornadog
28-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Yep. It's easy to pot forwards, but Tony Lockett would've been possession-less in that last half. We finally had tall targets who were looking threatening in the first half, but then gave them no chance to get into the game. This is likely to continue unless we can get a Gaff like free agent, try to get Kelly from GWS, or similar type, offering a great draft pick (circa pick 5) or draft a great kid. I prefer the Kelly type option because if there's another great tall defender at pick 5, guess what we are doing with it. Or a hard at it mid who can't kick.

Which makes me a little concerned about West - no pace, gets alot of the ball. We have a Libba and Wallis that can do that.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2018, 12:46 PM

We still had plenty of ball supply from the likes of Hunter Maclean and Macrae but agree our on ballers are average at the moment without the influence of Libba and Picken. Still surprised to see Dunkley Jong and Wallis left out of the team. Gowers and Lipinski were down on their previous efforts and Dickson struggled after half time. Schache still needs more time and lacked support.
I still believe the forward line needs a revamp. In ideal conditions on Friday night there wasn’t any excuses to kick just 4 points in the second half.
m

bornadog
28-05-2018, 12:51 PM
We still had plenty of ball supply from the likes of Hunter Maclean and Macrae but agree our on ballers are average at the moment without the influence of Libba and Picken. Still surprised to see Dunkley Jong and Wallis left out of the team. Gowers and Lipinski were down on their previous efforts and Dickson struggled after half time. Schache still needs more time and lacked support.
I still believe the forward line needs a revamp. In ideal conditions on Friday night there wasn’t any excuses to kick just 4 points in the second half.
m

The supply into the forward line was really bad. The ball rarely went past the HF line in the second half.

In the 3rd quarter, Collingwood smashed us in Cont. Poss, their intensity killed us.

If you read the VFL thread, you will see where Ledge mentioned why Wally didn't play

LostDoggy
28-05-2018, 01:13 PM
The supply into the forward line was really bad. The ball rarely went past the HF line in the second half.

In the 3rd quarter, Collingwood smashed us in Cont. Poss, their intensity killed us.

If you read the VFL thread, you will see where Ledge mentioned why Wally didn't play

One of the more baffling structural decisions we made last week was to use Macrae in a moe outside role despite Wallis and Dunkley being outs. I suppose we'd like 2 of him, but when Coll midfield were starting to really dominate, I thought he really should have been going to more stoppages.

Twodogs
28-05-2018, 01:30 PM
Yeah, nah. So what you're trying to say is play our best available players in the positions that they play best.

Surely that's what the opposition would expect us to do.

Nah. Give the current game plan time to gel. Slow ball movement to players in unfamiliar roles. It seems to have confused our guys so all we need now is for the opposition to be as equally confused and we're good to go.

Nah, yeah, I agree.

Twodogs
28-05-2018, 01:39 PM

I was a big Kelly fan up until now but I'm starting to fall off the bandwagon. I still think he failed the character test last year when he signed again with GWS. He failed to read the tealeaves at the time and he should have come back to Victoria then.

chef
28-05-2018, 02:13 PM
Which makes me a little concerned about West - no pace, gets alot of the ball. We have a Libba and Wallis that can do that.

9 year age gap. Shouldn't be to much of an issue.

hujsh
28-05-2018, 04:11 PM

1. The no pace comment is based on what exactly? I believe I've read that he has some decent pace if not spectacular butI may be wrong.
2. Can Wallis get a lot of the ball? When's the last time he did that consistently? Also isn't a big problem for us now that we have a lack of midfield depth? Personally aside from Macrae I can't think of anyone in the team consistently winning lots of the hard ball on the inside.
3. Is moving the ball quickly just about physical speed or being able to quickly take the best option? Geelong used to move the ball quickly with a mostly one paced midfield. Macrae is able to keep the ball moving quickly despite not being an elite speed athlete.

LostDoggy
30-05-2018, 10:17 AM
Looks like Dale is a definite out. Apparently he has a foot injury and will miss a few weeks.

bornadog
30-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Looks like Dale is a definite out. Apparently he has a foot injury and will miss a few weeks.

Probably 6 weeks at this stage

soupman
30-05-2018, 10:51 AM
I expect Webb will come in for his patented "one game in the seniors them out" move.

bornadog
30-05-2018, 10:54 AM
I expect Webb will come in for his patented "one game in the seniors them out" move.

He recently had two weeks in a row and was pretty ordinary.

We need midfielders but he is not the answer. Jong hasn't showed much at VFL level, but we may need him this week with his strong body, as we will get smashed in the middle again, and maybe he can help.

Twodogs
30-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Yep, one and done.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2018, 05:39 PM
OK Dale is out and Crozier has to go out.

Wally and Naughton in.

If Zaine or Naughton are not right, Dunkley in.

If both aren't right, Young in.

kruder
30-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Outs Crozier Roughead Dale Cordy (inj no need to take any risks with him a best 22 lock)

In Wallis Campbell Adams Jong

Going to be a very interesting selection week indeed. Obviously senior player form has been the biggest issue since the premiership and all were pretty much pathetic on Friday night. Team balance was also out of whack, way too many flankers so the midfield needs strengthening but the cupboard is pretty bare. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bont doesn't play either, I'm not sure how much longer we will go before we put him on ice for the remainder of the year.

merantau
30-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Maybe I'm losing it in my old age but I'm feeling something special is going to happen against Melbourne. We have something to prove and they are ripe for a fall.

Twodogs
30-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Maybe I'm losing it in my old age but I'm feeling something special is going to happen against Melbourne. We have something to prove and they are ripe for a fall.

Yep, all the elements are in place to give it the old Footscray try.

Happy Days
30-05-2018, 10:48 PM
We owe it to the greater footballing public to beat Melbourne this week. The rhetoric and back slapping about their cultural shift built on the back of 2 big wins (that have come only about a month since 2 equally shocking losses) has made all of print, talk and tv footy media pretty much unwatchable for the last few days.

We need to take a holistic approach here - for the good of the code. I don't know if Mick from Frankston can take another "Christian Petracca is the Key to Premiership Glory" soundbite. Mary from West Lakes loves her talkback radio as much as her Crows, but if she has to hear how Qutting Twitter Has Changed Jake Lever's Life one more time, she's going to tune out for good. And poor Kevin, driving his truck across the Nullabor, doesn't think that beating a half rat power Crows or a pathetic Carlton makes for the best Melbourne team he's ever seen, Garry Lyon.

We can be the heroes that the game needs this week.

Cyberdoggie
30-05-2018, 11:17 PM
I really need some persuading to go to this game, and i'm one that up until this year would go every week as a priority.

I think it's the style of football that clubs are playing, (in particular, us), and that we are so boring and inept at scoring and moving the ball with any speed.

Brisbane are far more interesting to watch, they move the ball fast and they have Charlie Cameron!
What do we have as our excitement machine? Bailey Dale. A player that was the only one to not lay a tackle in a record tackling game.

Back to the topic, honestly it is not going to make any difference who comes in to the side because we are going to get thumped by the demons I believe.

They will smash us in the ruck, they are too strong and physical in the middle, they will get first use and smash us in clearances and we won't be able to kick a goal against them with the haphazard way we move the ball forward. And the few set shots we do get we will miss horribly.

How is that for optimism :)

Twodogs
30-05-2018, 11:19 PM
We owe it to the greater footballing public to beat Melbourne this week. The rhetoric and back slapping about their cultural shift built on the back of 2 big wins (that have come only about a month since 2 equally shocking losses) has made all of print, talk and tv footy media pretty much unwatchable for the last few days.

We need to take a holistic approach here - for the good of the code. I don't know if Mick from Frankston can take another "Christian Petracca is the Key to Premiership Glory" soundbite. Mary from West Lakes loves her talkback radio as much as her Crows, but if she has to hear how Qutting Twitter Has Changed Jake Lever's Life one more time, she's going to tune out for good. And poor Kevin, driving his truck across the Nullabor, doesn't think that beating a half rat power Crows or a pathetic Carlton makes for the best Melbourne team [I]he's/I] ever seen, Garry Lyon.

We can be the heroes that the game needs this week.

Or the pantomime villains according to the media. Melbourne will have been brave though.

Carn the doggies!

Mantis
31-05-2018, 02:34 PM
What I would like to happen and what I think will happen are poles apart this week.

IN - Jong; OUT - Dale (Maybe Young for Cordy if Zaine ruled out)

With the bye coming up I would think they will keep the faith, but if we suck again real change needs to occur.

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 03:22 PM
What I would like to happen and what I think will happen are poles apart this week.

IN - Jong; OUT - Dale (Maybe Young for Cordy if Zaine ruled out)

With the bye coming up I would think they will keep the faith, but if we suck again real change needs to occur.

What would you like to happen?

Mofra
31-05-2018, 03:28 PM
In Wallis
Out Dale

In Campbell
Out Roughead

In Naughton
Out Cordy

Seemed to be a hint that Naughton will be rushed back in a couple of days ago, Cordy is a loss but he'll be 100% right after the bye.

Very tempted with a Jong/Crozier swap too.

Mantis
31-05-2018, 05:42 PM
What would you like to happen?

A few 'senior' players could have a spell.

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 05:56 PM
A few 'senior' players could have a spell.

Bontompelli only looks like he's hobbling along on half rat power at the moment, he doesn't get to as many contests, opponents keep up with him as he runs into the 50 metre arc, he just doesn't look like the Bont. Roughead doesn't really seem to have a role unless it's in the ruck and he isn't having a lot of affect on ruck contests these days.m

Mantis
31-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Bontompelli only looks like he's hobbling along on half rat power at the moment, he doesn't get to as many contests, opponents keep up with him as he runs into the 50 metre arc, he just doesn't look like the Bont. Roughead doesn't really seem to have a role unless it's in the ruck and he isn't having a lot of affect on ruck contests these days.m

He (Bont) would've fumbled the ball more times last week than he has in his entire career, just a horrible game from him, but I think he's moving ok.

Roughy isn't capable of playing in the ruck anymore, his body just can't stand up to the rigours of that role so he is certainly at the crossroads.

JJ is one I would look to drop, he is the exact type of player we need to be performing well and he is playing well below the standard expected to where he sits in the pecking order, both in terms of size/term of contract & leadership role.

divvydan
31-05-2018, 06:20 PM
WB twitter account has all but confirmed Morris will be in this week.

Greystache
31-05-2018, 06:25 PM

Roughead's been really impacted by the 3rd man up rule change. We protected him by going 3rd man up on most occasions around the ground, now that we can't he's getting exposed.

bornadog
31-05-2018, 06:31 PM
WB twitter account has all but confirmed Morris will be in this week.

Yeah looks like it with that wink.

westdog54
31-05-2018, 07:23 PM
Yeah looks like it with that wink.

Confirmed.

Morris and Honeychurch replace Dale and Cordy.

bornadog
31-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Why HC

Mantis
31-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Why HC

Photos... it has to be photos.

Eastdog
31-05-2018, 07:35 PM
In: Morris, Honeychurch
Out: Cordy (concussion), Dale (foot)

angelopetraglia
31-05-2018, 07:37 PM
We need another midfield competitor so Honeychurch doesn’t completely suprise me. However, still hard to believe that he is ahead of Wallis and that Wallis ain’t even an emergency!

bornadog
31-05-2018, 07:37 PM
In: Morris, Honeychurch
Out: Cordy (concussion), Dale (foot)
Missed post 68 Easty

angelopetraglia
31-05-2018, 07:41 PM
How did the AFL-listed players perform in Saturday’s 32-point loss to Collingwood?

Lukas Webb 31 disposals, 17 kicks, five tackles
Mitch Honeychurch 2 goals, 16 disposals, two tackles
Tom Campbell 72 hitouts, 13 disposals, eight tackles
Josh Dunkley 22 disposals, five tackles, three inside-50s
Fletcher Roberts Two goals, 10 disposals, seven kicks
Lewis Young 26 disposals, 13 marks, nine handballs
Lin Jong 15 disposals, two tackles, two inside-50s
Fergus Greene One goal, six tackles, ten disposals
Marcus Adams 11 disposals, six kicks, five handballs
Dale Morris 10 disposals, seven marks, five handballs
Cal Porter Nine disposals, two tackles, two inside-50s
Shane Biggs 19 disposals, two tackles, five marks
Nathan Mullenger-McHugh 11 disposals, five marks, two tackles
Mitch Wallis 26 disposals, seven tackles, one goal

10 more touches. 5 more tackles. One less goal. Didn't see the game but hard to see how Honey is ahead of Mitch.

GVGjr
31-05-2018, 07:44 PM
They must have a job in mind for Honeychurch. He must have a targeted player he has to curb

Remi Moses
31-05-2018, 07:49 PM
Honeychurch instead of Wallis
I’m officially flummoxed
Great to see Dale back though, and let’s hope a few in here are prepared to give him a few games before they pension him off

kruder
31-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Amazing, with a poor performance of that magnitude in the second half and not one player is dropped due to form. I'll say it again amazing stuff from the match committee.

Good Luck Morris absolute legend.

Eastdog
31-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Morris will give us some much needed experience down there. We need that run through the middle providing our forward opportunities like we did in the 1st quarter last week. We need sustained pressure on them throughout the whole game if we are going to be any chance and take all our opportunities when they are there. Bont needs to find something.

ledge
31-05-2018, 07:56 PM
I'm quite surprised we haven't taken Campbell to take on Gawn to be honest.

bornadog
31-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Amazing, with a poor performance of that magnitude in the second half and not one player is dropped due to form. I'll say it again amazing stuff from the match committee.

Good Luck Morris absolute legend.

Who would you have brought in?

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 08:23 PM
Good luck Dale Morris, gee it's great to see you back in your rightful place in the backline. Just having the name makes us 50% better.

kruder
31-05-2018, 08:28 PM
Who would you have brought in?

Oh I posted this previously

Outs Crozier Roughead Dale Cordy (inj no need to take any risks with him a best 22 lock)

In Wallis Campbell Adams Jong

Going to be a very interesting selection week indeed. Obviously senior player form has been the biggest issue since the premiership and all were pretty much pathetic on Friday night. Team balance was also out of whack, way too many flankers so the midfield needs strengthening but the cupboard is pretty bare. Wouldn't be surprised if the Bont doesn't play either, I'm not sure how much longer we will go before we put him on ice for the remainder of the year.

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 08:35 PM
It's hard to believe there isn't a spot for Mitch Wallis.

Mantis
31-05-2018, 08:35 PM
They must have a job in mind for Honeychurch. He must have a targeted player he has to curb

Which player would you think he would go to?

kruder
31-05-2018, 09:08 PM
Just noticed Adams isn't named for the VFL side. Fingers crossed he is ok :(

Rocket Science
31-05-2018, 09:21 PM
Oh good. More Honeychurch.

Not that it really matters much anymore at this stage of the season.

#the_tank_is_on

ReLoad
31-05-2018, 09:32 PM
Out tanking the tanking masters! Love it!

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 11:07 PM
Out tanking the tanking masters! Love it!

Melbourne tanked but I wouldn't call them masters at it. They managed to muck up all the priority picks they got.

Dry Rot
01-06-2018, 01:25 AM
It's hard to believe there isn't a spot for Mitch Wallis.

Cards marked by Bevo?

Twodogs
01-06-2018, 02:06 AM
Cards marked by Bevo?

Why? Because he kicks straight? Are we going to go down the Caroton path of chasing all the goal kickers out of the club?

merantau
01-06-2018, 08:28 AM
I don't understand the decision re Mitch Wallis. I would have him tagging Nathan Jones or Viney.

MrMahatma
01-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Surely there's a mix up and someone said "Mitch is in" and the wrong one is being reported?!

Mofra
01-06-2018, 10:17 AM
I stopped looking for MC selection logic weeks ago.

Unless Honeychurch is in for a stopping role? Roughy lucky. Very lucky. Ditto crozier but the cupboard is a little bare at Footscray save for Wallis.

1eyedog
01-06-2018, 10:35 AM
At least Roughie can bloody score.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 10:41 AM
At least Roughie can bloody score.

Two beautiful set shots

Ozza
01-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Really underwhelming changes. Bit deflating to be honest. On what I saw at the VFL, Morris still looked like he needed another run or 2, and Honeychurch was well outperformed by Wallis - who would help us with the contested ball which we were absolutely smashed in last week.

I'm not a big TC fan, but he was taking pack marks, and dominating the hit outs - hard to see what else he could have done to replace Roughead or Boyd - who were given one of the great hidings I've seen in the ruck last week (albeit by a young champion ruckman).

Happy Days
01-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Worth noting that the Boyd/Roughead anti-ruck duo has done a pretty effective job of stifling Gawn in the past.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Really underwhelming changes. Bit deflating to be honest. On what I saw at the VFL, Morris still looked like he needed another run or 2, and Honeychurch was well outperformed by Wallis - who would help us with the contested ball which we were absolutely smashed in last week.

I'm not a big TC fan, but he was taking pack marks, and dominating the hit outs - hard to see what else he could have done to replace Roughead or Boyd - who were given one of the great hidings I've seen in the ruck last week (albeit by a young champion ruckman).

I didn't see the VFL last week, did TC have much competition? 72 hitouts against a nothing ruckman maynot be that good?

Interesting Mark Stevens talking about Wallis to Essendon. No doubt his father has been complaining to the club (again) about his non-selection.

Ozza
01-06-2018, 11:24 AM
I didn't see the VFL last week, did TC have much competition? 72 hitouts against a nothing ruckman maynot be that good?

Interesting Mark Stevens talking about Wallis to Essendon. No doubt his father has been complaining to the club (again) about his non-selection.

Not sure how to rate the opposition ruckman - perhaps it wasn't much competition, but that's out of his control - he just had to dominate there, and did. But I did like seeing a tall player take contested marks around the ground - we have none of that in our senior side. It is a truly remarkable aligning of the planets that Boyd & Roughy took 8 contested marks between them on Grand Final day.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Wallis should be playing. However, as to Stevo, Wallis is a restricted free agent and I don't see him going. But let's see their offer, and take it from there.

Sedat
01-06-2018, 12:06 PM
I'm not a big fan either, but if he's not going to be selected after such a dominant VFL performance and with Gawn on the horizon, he will never get selected. And the question once again needs to be asked, why the hell did we re-contract him on a multi-year deal for the sake of a couple of games a year?

We just don't prioritise list spots anywhere near enough.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 12:09 PM
I'm not a big fan either, but if he's not going to be selected after such a dominant VFL performance and with Gawn on the horizon, he will never get selected. And the question once again needs to be asked, why the hell did we re-contract him on a multi-year deal for the sake of a couple of games a year?

We just don't prioritise list spots anywhere near enough.

You need a backup in case of injuries.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Then why isn't he selected when we have injuries?

LostDoggy
01-06-2018, 12:13 PM

When we had nearly all of our Rucks out/not ready to return, we still wouldn't pick him, preferring our 2nd Ruck to be Josh Dunkley.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Then why isn't he selected when we have injuries?

Roughead and Boyd aren't injured at the moment, and when they were, Campbell was, so English got the gig.

I hope TC continues into some form, because Roughy needs to improve or he is out.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 12:15 PM
When we had nearly all of our Rucks out/not ready to return, we still wouldn't pick him, preferring our 2nd Ruck to be Josh Dunkley.

He wasn't in form himself, he missed a few VFL games with injuries as well, but now he is working himself into some form.

In any case, Rucking these days is just not about hitouts. You look at Jacobs against us two weeks ago, 54 hitouts, only 9 to advantage, and 5 disposals for the game. Grundy is the best ruckman because he can play around the ground. Too bad Dunkley isn't 10cm taller :D

Mofra
01-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Worth noting that the Boyd/Roughead anti-ruck duo has done a pretty effective job of stifling Gawn in the past.
I thought it was CamHead that comprehensively beat Gown a while back?
A fully fit Roughead at that stage too, not the current version.

Ozza
01-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Correct. Tom Boyd has never been on the same field as Max Gawn.

Mantis
01-06-2018, 12:23 PM

Gawn hasn't played much against us recently, but in our latest 2 outings he has played primarily on Campbell.

whythelongface
01-06-2018, 12:26 PM
I don't quite understand the continued selection of Crozier. What does he bring to the team? Am I missing something.

Campbell seems to have his card marked. For his own sake he should seriously look at any offer next year.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Gawn hasn't played much against us recently, but in our latest 2 outings he has played primarily on Campbell.

Last three games v Melbourne:

1. Boyd 36, Roughead 24 - Gawn didn't play so they went with McDonald who only got 11, they were smashed in the ruck but won easily.

2. Campbell 34, Gawn 42

3. Campbell 29, Gawn 32

Sedat
01-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Sorry BAD but that fails the sniff test. We have Rough, Boyd (clearly treated as a ruckman) and English on the list as bonafide ruckmen. That is more than enough.

And as others have pointed out, Campbell hasn't come in for any injuries to either Rough, Boyd or English, all of whom have missed games this season for various reasons. It is a complete waste of a list spot - this is no criticism at all of Campbell, but our list management team.

Fletcher Roberts is another classic example of a wasted list spot for 'depth' purposes - we have 8+ key position defenders on the list but give Roberts a 2 year contract to play bugger-all senior AFL matches.

List spots should be treated like gold and we give them out for virtually nothing.

Mantis
01-06-2018, 12:42 PM
I don't quite understand the continued selection of Crozier. What does he bring to the team? Am I missing something.

He was assigned the role of playing as a defensive forward on Howe last week and kept him quiet, but to find out that Howe was carrying an injury into the game and in hindsight shouldn't have played certainly dis-credits Hayden's performance.

The fact that he isn't winning much of the ball is a big concern and agree that in a team with too many flankers he is the one that should've made way for a midfielder.

Mantis
01-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Sorry BAD but that fails the sniff test. We have Rough, Boyd (clearly treated as a ruckman) and English on the list as bonafide ruckmen. That is more than enough.

And as others have pointed out, Campbell hasn't come in for any injuries to either Rough, Boyd or English, all of whom have missed games this season for various reasons. It is a complete waste of a list spot - this is no criticism at all of Campbell, but our list management team.

Fletcher Roberts is another classic example of a wasted list spot for 'depth' purposes - we have 8+ key position defenders on the list but give Roberts a 2 year contract to play bugger-all senior AFL matches.

List spots should be treated like gold and we give them out for virtually nothing.

We also recruited Trengove as a ruck/forward which gives us another option.

Our list mgt. over the past 2-3 years has been a big *!*!*!*!ing mess and we are in a much worse position because of it.

The Pie Man
01-06-2018, 01:01 PM
He was assigned the role of playing as a defensive forward on Howe last week and kept him quiet, but to find out that Howe was carrying an injury into the game and in hindsight shouldn't have played certainly dis-credits Hayden's performance.

The fact that he isn't winning much of the ball is a big concern and agree that in a team with too many flankers he is the one that should've made way for a midfielder.

I guess Honeychurch for Dale addresses that flank/mid balance. That's not a comment on if he was the right choice to come in.

Not sure Rough should be playing - I'm curious how a Boyd/Schache combo would work, even against someone of the calibre of Gawn

dog town
01-06-2018, 02:18 PM
I think based off this weeks selection we are looking to next year. Was shown last week that 1- our tall forwards can’t mark it enough to justify their lack of mobility 2- we are going to get opened up playing two big blokes forward.

Sticking with this set up says to me they are happy to just get games into some of these guys. Finding 7-8 players for the year could now be the focus.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 03:15 PM
I think based off this weeks selection we are looking to next year. Was shown last week that 1- our tall forwards can’t mark it enough to justify their lack of mobility 2- we are going to get opened up playing two big blokes forward.

Sticking with this set up says to me they are happy to just get games into some of these guys. Finding 7-8 players for the year could now be the focus.

That wasn't the problem last week. We got killed in Contested footy in the 2nd half and couldn't get the ball inside 50.

In the first half our talls kicked 4 goals. Besides we had 12 marks inside 50 to Collingwood 9. Boyd 2, Roughy 2, Schache 1

We are also 4th on the ladder for marks inside 50.

G-Mo77
01-06-2018, 03:42 PM
Dale Morris in is the only thing bringing interest to this game.

dog town
01-06-2018, 04:43 PM
That wasn't the problem last week. We got killed in Contested footy in the 2nd half and couldn't get the ball inside 50.

In the first half our talls kicked 4 goals. Besides we had 12 marks inside 50 to Collingwood 9. Boyd 2, Roughy 2, Schache 1

We are also 4th on the ladder for marks inside 50. You dont think our defensive system fell apart because we couldn’t keep it in our half? We just couldn’t maintain any sort of territory once we got tired. It was pinging out the other side every time we went inside 50. Near impossible for us to set up behind the ball when this happens. It is pretty simple really if you play tall guys they need to play like tall guys because you are giving up other strengths by playing them.

Our total inside 50 marks for the year has no relevance to what I posted. Yes first half it worked, once we stopped keeping the footy (marking it) we got exposed. Was always going to be the case. Our defensive system relies on source pressure when the oppo has the ball.

Agree that contested footy is another issue. A bigger issue is that we have a list that doesn’t suit our game plan. I think by trying to get games into some of these guys Bevo is seeing which way we can potentially go with our game style next year. At their current output playing two big key forwards who are not ready yet is not going to suit a hard defensive press. If they develop rapidly then it may open up different methods for 2019. That is why I believe we have thrown 2018 out.

Happy Days
01-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Right you are - didn't bother fact checking. Chalk up another one for having no idea what the MC are thinking.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 05:09 PM
You dont think our defensive system fell apart because we couldn’t keep it in our half? We just couldn’t maintain any sort of territory once we got tired. It was pinging out the other side every time we went inside 50. Near impossible for us to set up behind the ball when this happens. It is pretty simple really if you play tall guys they need to play like tall guys because you are giving up other strengths by playing them.

Our total inside 50 marks for the year has no relevance to what I posted. Yes first half it worked, once we stopped keeping the footy (marking it) we got exposed. Was always going to be the case. Our defensive system relies on source pressure when the oppo has the ball.

Agree that contested footy is another issue. A bigger issue is that we have a list that doesn’t suit our game plan. I think by trying to get games into some of these guys Bevo is seeing which way we can potentially go with our game style next year. At their current output playing two big key forwards who are not ready yet is not going to suit a hard defensive press. If they develop rapidly then it may open up different methods for 2019. That is why I believe we have thrown 2018 out.

Out of interest, were you at the game? as it makes a difference on how you see the game.

I agree with most of what you are saying, but still disagree on the talls. We have lacked structure all season with a lack of talls and it has hurt us. I still maintain, with a lack of forward entry in the second half, our forward line just didn't get opportunities like the first half. Dickson hardly had a touch as the ball never came past the 50m arc.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Dale Morris in is the only thing bringing interest to this game.

It is great to see Morris back and hope that the MC doesn't expect him to play on Hogan, with Zaine Cordy missing. He would be better suited to a Melksham type player leaving Trengrove to take Hogan with Wood to play on McDonald. You would hope that JJ will return to his best and possibly only position at half back as he was floundering as a forward last week.

G-Mo77
01-06-2018, 06:06 PM
It is great to see Morris back and hope that the MC doesn't expect him to play on Hogan, with Zaine Cordy missing. He would be better suited to a Melksham type player leaving Trengrove to take Hogan with Wood to play on McDonald. You would hope that JJ will return to his best and possibly only position at half back as he was floundering as a forward last week.

Smile and say nice things when he lines up in the forward line.