PDA

View Full Version : Freo our bogey team?

MrMahatma
16-04-2018, 07:21 AM
Freo have beaten us 7 of the last 8 times we've played them.

I kinda felt ok about this weekend until I saw that. I guess it's the Ross Lyon game plan that we've never performed well against. Even in his time at the Saints.

We need to turn that streak around. Massive game.

Eastdog
16-04-2018, 08:41 PM
Hoping we can change that on Saturday night. Go Dogs!

Happy Days
18-04-2018, 03:03 PM
That time we beat them though - woah.

Shane Biggs had 35 never forget.

ledge
18-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Actually Geelong are our bogey team with freo running into second quite comfortably, playing them over there is scary for us.

LostDoggy
19-04-2018, 11:11 AM
We didn't like the dimensions of the old Perth stadium and often struggled with the extra leth and wide open spaces. At least this time it's at a new stadium whose dimensions I understand are not unlike the MCGs.

bornadog
19-04-2018, 11:32 AM
We didn't like the dimensions of the old Perth stadium and often struggled with the extra leth and wide open spaces. At least this time it's at a new stadium whose dimensions I understand are not unlike the MCGs.

It's only 10 metres shorter, but agree makes a big difference. We have won 8 of the last 10 at MCG, so should suit us.

The Adelaide Connection
19-04-2018, 11:42 AM

The new stadium is actually almost identical to Etihad. They have it listed at 160x130m with Etihad measuring in at 159.5x128.8m whereas apparently the MCG now sits at 160x141m.

This is a huge bonus and we should be heading over there with extra confidence. Subiaco’s dimensions were a unique and seemingly significant home ground advantage (coupled with a very real umpiring rub of the green that the non bipartisan crowds seem to generate)..

Axe Man
19-04-2018, 11:58 AM
The new stadium is actually almost identical to Etihad. They have it listed at 160x130m with Etihad measuring in at 159.5x128.8m whereas apparently the MCG now sits at 160x141m.

This is a huge bonus and we should be heading over there with extra confidence. Subiaco’s dimensions were a unique and seemingly significant home ground advantage (coupled with a very real umpiring rub of the green that the non bipartisan crowds seem to generate)..

It's 165m long so 5 metres longer than Etihad but much closer to what we are used to in contrast to the long and narrow Subiaco.

Eastdog
19-04-2018, 01:57 PM
Actually Geelong are our bogey team with freo running into second quite comfortably, playing them over there is scary for us.

They are another team we have to beat soon as well. Last time we won against them was 2009. At least we don't have to travel down the highway this year as we play them at home (Etihad).

angelopetraglia
19-04-2018, 02:55 PM
They are another team we have to beat soon as well. Last time we won against them was 2009. At least we don't have to travel down the highway this year as we play them at home (Etihad).

Even in 2016 where we only lost seven games, we lost to them twice. Our two largest losses were also to the Cats (57 points and 25 points) that year.

Also, in my living memory of going to the football we have lost 6 finals I can recall and never won a final against them.

Ozza
19-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Even in 2016 where we only lost seven games, we lost to them twice. Our two largest losses were also to the Cats (57 points and 25 points) that year.

Also, in my living memory of going to the football we have lost 6 finals I can recall and never won a final against them.

We beat them Freo round 1 that year.
Geelong was the only team we didn’t beat in 2016.

Eastdog
19-04-2018, 03:42 PM
We beat them Freo round 1 that year.
Geelong was the only team we didn’t beat in 2016.

Yep the game Round 1, 2016 we thrashed them. Easton Wood took a screamer.

Twodogs
19-04-2018, 03:59 PM

Seven finals losses for me. 1976, 1992 (twice), 1994, 1995, 2008 and 2009.

angelopetraglia
19-04-2018, 04:16 PM
Seven finals losses for me. 1976, 1992 (twice), 1994, 1995, 2008 and 2009.

Missed 1976. Thought we were a chance a few times. The Billy kick after the siren in 1994. The day we were three goals up at HT and Danny was on fire (8 goals) in 1992. In the last quarter in 2009 when we came home like a steam train and kicked 4.6 in the last quarter to their 1.3 but went down by 14 points. We have had our chances.

Twodogs
19-04-2018, 04:47 PM
Missed 1976. Thought we were a chance a few times. The Billy kick after the siren in 1994. The day we were three goals up at HT and Danny was on fire (8 goals) in 1992. In the last quarter in 2009 when we came home like a steam train and kicked 4.6 in the last quarter to their 1.3 but went down by 14 points. We have had our chances.

Even 1976 was less than two goals. I listened on the radio at my friend Glenn's house and had my first real experience of fanaticism. All through the last quarter it was close but Larry Donahue (I think) kicked a goal right at the death to push their lead out to seven points and snuff out any chance we had. Glenn's granddad walked into the room yelled a swear word (a couple actually) picked the radio up by the antenna and threw it through a closed window into the front yard.

I should have worked out then that being a bulldog supporter was 99% heartbreak and 1% pure unadulterated joy. And, yes, I have picked a radio up by the antenna and thrown it through an open (mum was home!) window.

Ozza
19-04-2018, 04:54 PM
All time record v Freo

29 matches
15 wins
14 losses

Would be good to keep our noses in front.

Axe Man
19-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Even 1976 was less than two goals. I listened on the radio at my friend Glenn's house and had my first real experience of fanaticism. All through the last quarter it was close but Larry Donahue (I think) kicked a goal right at the death to push their lead out to seven points and snuff out any chance we had. Glenn's granddad walked into the room yelled a swear word (a couple actually) picked the radio up by the antenna and threw it through a closed window into the front yard.

I should have worked out then that being a bulldog supporter was 99% heartbreak and 1% pure unadulterated joy. And, yes, I have picked a radio up by the antenna and thrown it through an open (mum was home!) window.

Haha, hope it was a portable radio and not one of those big old antique monsters.

I remember punching a wall when fat Billy kicked that goal in 94. Luckily it was some sort of fake wood paneling and not plaster.

bornadog
19-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Even 1976 was less than two goals. I listened on the radio at my friend Glenn's house and had my first real experience of fanaticism. All through the last quarter it was close but Larry Donahue (I think) kicked a goal right at the death to push their lead out to seven points and snuff out any chance we had. Glenn's granddad walked into the room yelled a swear word (a couple actually) picked the radio up by the antenna and threw it through a closed window into the front yard.I should have worked out then that being a bulldog supporter was 99% heartbreak and 1% pure unadulterated joy. And, yes, I have picked a radio up by the antenna and thrown it through an open (mum was home!) window.

I went to both 1974 and 1976. 1974 was our first final since 1961, so couldn't miss it, plus I was too young to go in 1961 (5 years old).

The 1976 final, I went with a car full of mates, and my friend wrapped his car in red, white and blue paper, plus streamers hanging off the radio antenna. Every bit of the car was RWB

We drove from Yarraville to Waverly, at the time I was kind of embarrassed. It was a long ride home

Twodogs
19-04-2018, 06:05 PM
I went to both 1974 and 1976. 1974 was our first final since 1961, so couldn't miss it, plus I was too young to go in 1961 (5 years old).

The 1976 final, I went with a car full of mates, and my friend wrapped his car in red, white and blue paper, plus streamers hanging off the radio antenna. Every bit of the car was RWB

We drove from Yarraville to Waverly, at the time I was kind of embarrassed. It was a long ride home

'76. Had the Westgate opened by then? It was still a bloody long drive either way. Such a great team we had been gifted. It's unbelievable all we turned it into was two lousy elimination final losses.

Tony Liberatore nearly missed a final when he punched a wall in frustration watching a game on TV at home. But broken bones didn't stop Libba. He had another hand, he'd just work harder with that

Flamethrower
19-04-2018, 08:14 PM
We have a horrid recent record in Perth in H&A matches (much better in Elimination finals) - let's hope that we have more success at the Phone Booth.

Remi Moses
19-04-2018, 08:30 PM
West Gate opened in 78 . Still remember throwing coins into a giant bucket like feature on the bridge
Yes it was tolled . Geelong are our bogey team, Freo knocked over our reserves in 16.

MrMahatma
19-04-2018, 11:53 PM
West Gate opened in 78 . Still remember throwing coins into a giant bucket like feature on the bridge
Yes it was tolled . Geelong are our bogey team, Freo knocked over our reserves in 16.

I agree Geelong have the wood over us, but at least during that time they've been a good team. Freo have beaten us even when they've been rubbish!

BornInDroopSt'54
20-04-2018, 12:56 PM
I agree Geelong have the wood over us, but at least during that time they've been a good team. Freo have beaten us even when they've been rubbish!

Maybe its because Geelong, Fre and WC are more west than us.

Twodogs
20-04-2018, 02:17 PM
I can vividly remember the late '70s and the early '80s us having 11 bogey teams. There were certainly 11 other teams that we had trouble beating anyway.

Ghost Dog
20-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Ross Lyon said in an interview he feared Rocket's Bulldogs the most. Most difficult team to play against. I remember some great end to end goals during the Lindsay Gilbee, Lake, Cooney days.

westbulldog
20-04-2018, 07:23 PM
No rain here in Perth today. Optus surface will likely be greasy at bouncedown , no roof to close. We need to go small. They could be ripe for the taking, they have a few young kids in their lineup and they may be gearing up for the western derby in Round 6. Stats are made to be broken, simply beat them on merit. Go Dogs.

The bulldog tragician
20-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Ross Lyon said in an interview he feared Rocket's Bulldogs the most. Most difficult team to play against. I remember some great end to end goals during the Lindsay Gilbee, Lake, Cooney days.

I’m not sure why. The Saints well and truly had our measure.

Axe Man
20-04-2018, 07:44 PM
No rain here in Perth today. Forecast for Sunday is Partly cloudy. High (80%) chance of showers or a thunderstorm, most likely in the morning . Optus surface will likely be greasy at bouncedown 2.40pm wst, no roof to close. We need to go small. They could be ripe for the taking, they have a few young kids in their lineup and they may be gearing up for the western derby in Round 6. Stats are made to be broken, simply beat them on merit. Go Dogs.

Westbulldog the game is on Saturday at 6:15pm WA time. The forecast is for only 0 to 1mm:

Mostly sunny morning. Medium (50%) chance of showers, most likely in the afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon and early evening. Light winds.

The weather shouldn't have too much of a bearing if the forecast is accurate.

Ozza
20-04-2018, 08:03 PM
I’m not sure why. The Saints well and truly had our measure.

Yes, agreed. We certainly struggled against Ross Lyon coached teams.
Lyon had a record of 9 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses against Rocket.

Eastdog
20-04-2018, 08:17 PM
I can vividly remember the late '70s and the early '80s us having 11 bogey teams. There were certainly 11 other teams that we had trouble beating anyway.

Before my time but a lot have said that period were dark times for us. So much better now particularly with a recent premiership.

Twodogs
20-04-2018, 09:52 PM
Before my time but a lot have said that period were dark times for us. So much better now particularly with a recent premiership.

They were grim, awful days Easty and I enjoyed every second!

westbulldog
20-04-2018, 10:58 PM
thanks, yep got the day wrong but rain forecast for Sat