PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Demons still so piss weak in 2018?

Dry Rot
17-04-2018, 01:41 AM
The Demons.

So many early draft picks.

They had the best AFL coach ever to train them up in Paul Roos.

And then more early draft picks.

And then they had the next best coach in the AFL Simon Goodwin to take them to the finals in 2017 but didn't.

And now they are piss weak yet again in 2018.

Why?

ledge
17-04-2018, 05:02 AM
Culture , not sure if you heard the interview with Petracca after the loss and he mentioned something like its the Melbourne way.
Big alarm bells went off when he said that.
Media all over it and they are right if that's what your thinking you aren't going anywhere.
Goodwin even admitted he is trying to change the thought process and culture.
Seems it's a losing battle.

merantau
17-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Just look at the fiasco re the pre-season camp. Some players jacked up, went to the AFLPA and coach - camp cancelled, club $30K out of pocket!
What an attitude! What a back down! They weren't being asked to inject unknown substances - it was a survival camp designed to develop mental toughness and they didn't even make it to the start line.

bulldogsthru&thru
17-04-2018, 10:12 AM
And now their boom recruit Mr Lever is in the gun for being soft.

I'm pretty happy with Naughton right now

bornadog
17-04-2018, 10:17 AM
They had the most overrated AFL coach ever to train them up in Paul Roos.

Edited for accuracy

jeemak
17-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Just look at the fiasco re the pre-season camp. Some players jacked up, went to the AFLPA and coach - camp cancelled, club $30K out of pocket!
What an attitude! What a back down! They weren't being asked to inject unknown substances - it was a survival camp designed to develop mental toughness and they didn't even make it to the start line.

Yeah that's only part of the story. Whilst the players didn't air their concerns at the appropriate time or via appropriate channels, this same camp that they went on the year prior saw two players injured performing tasks not associated with football. Essentially the club believes itself to be allowed to put footballers through tasks that are high risk if they feel it be of benefit to the club, but if a player injures himself in a rest, relaxation or recreational activity all hell breaks loose, irrespective of the benefits of those activities.

AFL footballers aren't the same as they used to be, they're not the same as rugby players either (it was rugby players Melbourne Storm put through camps that gave MFC the idea to do the same with footballers). Clubs need to be really careful in how they manage them.

All of this points to a club that isn't in tune with how to develop and get the best out of its players. That's their main issue, all the good draft picks in the world won't do much if you can't development their fruits.

Twodogs
17-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Yeah that's only part of the story. Whilst the players didn't air their concerns at the appropriate time or via appropriate channels, this same camp that they went on the year prior saw two players injured performing tasks not associated with football. Essentially the club believes itself to be allowed to put footballers through tasks that are high risk if they feel it be of benefit to the club, but if a player injures himself in a rest, relaxation or recreational activity all hell breaks loose, irrespective of the benefits of those activities.

AFL footballers aren't the same as they used to be, they're not the same as rugby players either (it was rugby players Melbourne Storm put through camps that gave MFC the idea to do the same with footballers). Clubs need to be really careful in how they manage them.

All of this points to a club that isn't in tune with how to develop and get the best out of its players. That's their main issue, all the good draft picks in the world won't do much if you can't development their fruits.

Yep.

Just why are the AFL so obsessed with making Melbourne a power club anyway? They paid for Roos, they put Jackson in place on their coin, they were manipulating mini drafts for them and of the nine clubs in Victoria Jake Lever picks Melbourne over all of them? Really a bloke who plays AFL thinks Melbourne are a chance to have some success in his playing career? Righto then I can believe that, I flat out refuse to believe the AFL had a hand in his decision.

Happy Days
17-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Because they're an entitled bunch of punks who honestly believe that they will just win games and premierships by virtue of all being in the same place at the same time.

Their effort was laughable on the weekend. At one point O'Meara ran past no less than 5 players on his way to kicking what was eventually an easy goal from the back of the square.

Lever is copping it at the moment, and rightly so, but their entire defence lacks discipline and seems incompetent when the ball hits the ground. Their best defender from last year has had his role totally change to cover for the fact that no one else is interested in playing on anybody.

Also has Goodwin done anything to demonstrate that he's a good coach or that the players even like him?

Anyway it's all AWESOME.

Mofra
17-04-2018, 02:15 PM
And now their boom recruit Mr Lever is in the gun for being soft.

I'm pretty happy with Naughton right now
Adelaide gained Melbourne's 2017 and 2018 first rounder for him. And pick 12 for Charlie Cameron.

Thankfully they overpaid for Gibbs.

I'll take Naughton and Richards instead thanks.

Mofra
17-04-2018, 02:18 PM
That's their main issue, all the good draft picks in the world won't do much if you can't development their fruits.
Consider the 7 Premiership defenders from 2016, as we'd rotate 7 through six spots.

Wood: pick 43
Hamling: DFA
Roberts: PSD
Morris: Rookie
Boyd: Rookie
JJ: Rookie
Biggs: Rookie then traded for nothing.

If there was ever evidence that draft picks are overrated, this is it. The two highest draft picks on our list are playing VFL right now.

Rocket Science
17-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Consider the 7 Premiership defenders from 2016, as we'd rotate 7 through six spots.

Wood: pick 43
Hamling: DFA
Roberts: PSD
Morris: Rookie
Boyd: Rookie
JJ: Rookie
Biggs: Rookie then traded for nothing.

If there was ever evidence that draft picks are overrated, this is it. The two highest draft picks on our list are playing VFL right now.

There's a heartening masterclass in "culture" - and some canny recruiting calls - if there ever was one.

CC that to the entitled chaps over at Demonland.

Twodogs
17-04-2018, 03:05 PM
There's a heartening masterclass in "culture" - and some canny recruiting calls - if there ever was one.

CC that to the entitled chaps over at Demonland.

We could but they would just giggle to themselves because they know better than us. That explains all their recent success compared to us. We might get a faux tough guy text in response...

Speaking of that, WTF does Bugg think he is, and what exactly has he acheived in AFL football that allowed him to carry on like that? I remember thinking when he got himself suspended a couple of weeks later "if I was MFC I'd be sending Bugg around to JJ's house to ask if he could polish his Norm Smith and premiership medallions for him"

craigsahibee
17-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Just a filthy set up.

My hatred of Melbourne is well documented on this forum. My heart skips a beat every time they experience some misfortune. Interesting that when recently researching my "WOOF Number" I realised I joined around the time we smashed them by around 16 goals early in 2008. Maybe I just needed to express further how crap they were, are and will be.

Go_Dogs
17-04-2018, 04:08 PM
They have a lot of players well down on form, including Hibberd, Jones, Hunt along with badly missing Viney and Tom McDonald.

Unfortunately, they'll turn it around before we play them - they have too much talent not to do so.

Greystache
17-04-2018, 04:23 PM
If ever you need an example of the cost of tanking to the culture of a club look no further than Melbourne. They embraced losing as a way of winning and they're still paying for it now. Carlton and Essendon as also good cases in point.

bornadog
17-04-2018, 04:41 PM
If ever you need an example of the cost of tanking to the culture of a club look no further than Melbourne. They embraced losing as a way of winning and they're still paying for it now. Carlton and Essendon as also good cases in point.

Couldn't happen to a better bunch.

Mofra
17-04-2018, 04:48 PM
They have a lot of players well down on form, including Hibberd, Jones, Hunt along with badly missing Viney and Tom McDonald.

Unfortunately, they'll turn it around before we play them - they have too much talent not to do so.
+ Lever. From AA squad to lucky to hold his spot.

Rocket Science
17-04-2018, 05:31 PM
We could but they would just giggle to themselves because they know better than us. That explains all their recent success compared to us. We might get a faux tough guy text in response...

Speaking of that, WTF does Bugg think he is, and what exactly has he acheived in AFL football that allowed him to carry on like that? I remember thinking when he got himself suspended a couple of weeks later "if I was MFC I'd be sending Bugg around to JJ's house to ask if he could polish his Norm Smith and premiership medallions for him"

Good lord that's too delicious to pass up.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wnsroo.jpg

Ghost Dog
17-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Not a very well branded club. The bearded goateed Demon with the fork circa 1980 at least looked mildly menacing. The current one was probably done by one of the VCE art students at Hailebury College ( where just about every staff member is a fan ).

You know you are in trouble when your young players have a bit of a giggle about their own club culture on national TV.
Some baffling decisions - making two kids co-captains a few years back then delisting them was a master-stroke. Paul Roos stuffed the development of those guys by doing that.

Twodogs
17-04-2018, 07:13 PM

Being a cynic I always thought that the number one pick was too big a prize to pass up just to put the short term pride of winning a few games toward the tail end of a season that was going nowhere anyway. I thought you might as well finish last as finish eighth.

Melbourne put that theory to the test and I couldn't have been more wrong. You fool around with that sort of thing at the peril of wrecking the culture of your club. Letting the players develop a "near enough is good enough" attitude has proved disastrous for the development of Watts, Scully, Toumpas and a few others.

Good lord that's too delicious to pass up.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2wnsroo.jpg

That is gold.

The Doctor
18-04-2018, 01:52 PM
The Demons.

So many early draft picks.

They had the best AFL coach ever to train them up in Paul Roos.

And then more early draft picks.

And then they had the next best coach in the AFL Simon Goodwin to take them to the finals in 2017 but didn't.

And now they are piss weak yet again in 2018.

Why?

No heart, No balls, No brains

Twodogs
18-04-2018, 04:23 PM
No heart, No balls, No brains

Yep. In a word they are soft.

Testekill
19-04-2018, 03:41 PM
They seem like they expect to just instantly come good without putting in the hard yards. Like Clayton Oliver for instance; he's a fantastic talent and will be a gun but he's also kind lazy out there in that he's only going to run hard when the ball is near him.

The Demons know that the AFL are looking out for them so they can get away with not caring while the AFL would love to ship the Bulldogs off somewhere and so we can't afford to never put in the effort.

Axe Man
19-04-2018, 03:48 PM
Not a very well branded club. The bearded goateed Demon with the fork circa 1980 at least looked mildly menacing. The current one was probably done by one of the VCE art students at Hailebury College ( where just about every staff member is a fan ).

You know you are in trouble when your young players have a bit of a giggle about their own club culture on national TV.
Some baffling decisions - making two kids co-captains a few years back then delisting them was a master-stroke. Paul Roos stuffed the development of those guys by doing that.

Pretty sure Mark Neeld can take the credit for that decision.

Twodogs
19-04-2018, 05:02 PM
So from what I've read some of the players were not only worried about the camp but they went to the Players' Association as a first port of call rather than just going to the coaches.

Ghost Dog
19-04-2018, 08:36 PM

2012, stand corrected Axe man. Shocking decision.

ledge
19-04-2018, 10:46 PM
They still give us a hard time

MrMahatma
19-04-2018, 11:59 PM

Forgot he even existed!

And now he's at Essedum as a player development coach? Lots of things now make sense.

AndrewP6
21-04-2018, 11:46 PM
Perhaps our name can be added to this thread title.

Bulldog4life
31-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Just to make us all feel better. Carlton are now the least successful Victorian club this century. Since the start of the 2000 season, a year after the club had made the Grand Final and a year in which it was to make a preliminary final, Carlton has played 417 matches for just 157 wins (37.65%).

In the same period, Melbourne has played 415 games for 158 wins (38.07%).

MrMahatma
31-05-2018, 01:04 PM
Might be ironic by mid-afternoon on Saturday.

G-Mo77
31-05-2018, 05:14 PM
Maybe we should change the title to Why are the Western Bulldogs so.........

Dees are flying, they'll beat us by 60+ on Saturday

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Maybe we should change the title to Why are the Western Bulldogs so.........

Dees are flying, they'll beat us by 60+ on Saturday

They should and probably will. But it's 5 in a row with the media firmly parked up their backside all week. And for some reason this has a sniff of the old days when we'd pull one or two big performances out of nowhere. It was always when the opposition had been favour of the month. That seemed to provoke a reaction out of us

Remi Moses
31-05-2018, 07:20 PM
They should be flying after about their third re-build , a coach and ceo appointed by the afl !

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 08:25 PM
They should be flying after about their third re-build , a coach and ceo appointed by the afl !

The AFL paid for them so it was only fair that they get to appoint them as well.

Dry Rot
12-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Demons are now playing some good teams. And they are being shown to be piss weak.

Pies took them apart.

Topdog
12-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Demons are now playing some good teams. And they are being shown to be piss weak.

Pies took them apart.

Yep totally shown up yesterday

Ozza
12-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Melbourne have a really good attacking game, but the times where they have been knocked off this year, is when they've played against the most organised teams that don't give them the corridor. We all saw against us - the way they open up the ground taking the 45 degree kick into the middle of the ground - and their forwards just take off towards goal.

Richmond, Collingwood, Geelong - are all top sides obviously, and they apply great pressure on Melbourne's kicking game and good attention to detail around outlets. But Hawthorn were the others to thump Melbourne - and although Hawthorn aren't as high on talent as they used to be - if you see them live - they are still so well organised in how they set up the ground - and Melbourne couldn't get their game going against it.

The silver lining for Melbourne out of yesterday - is that they still have time to fix things and to find some different gears to their game when they can't always get their desired game going. I recall us getting dismantled by Geelong at Etihad in 2016 by 57 points and thinking we didn't measure up - but its a long season.

Mantis
12-06-2018, 01:09 PM
Whilst losing the midfield battle didn't help Melbourne's cause at all their backline was really shown up as being under-sized without Lever (I think O-Mac was off for parts too) and a little slow (Lewis & Vince) by the Collingwood forwards.

Ozza
12-06-2018, 03:05 PM
Whilst losing the midfield battle didn't help Melbourne's cause at all their backline was really shown up as being under-sized without Lever (I think O-Mac was off for parts too) and a little slow (Lewis & Vince) by the Collingwood forwards.

I'm not sure how Bernie Vince gets a game with the depth Melbourne have. Lever being out tests the depth - but they had Tyson, Bugg, Kennedy-Harris, Wagner, Frost, Weideman and Hunt amongst others play 2s on the weekend.

Thought Hunt should be playing when the Pies have Stephenson and Hoskin Elliott with elite pace in their forward line.

ledge
13-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Pies took them apart.

Don't underestimate the pies, they are the hardest midfield in the league and with the forward line now functioning I would put them favourites for the flag at this moment in time.

bornadog
13-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Don't underestimate the pies, they are the hardest midfield in the league and with the forward line now functioning I would put them favourites for the flag at this moment in time.

Buckley really pushed to get a top midfield in and he was right.

ledge
13-06-2018, 11:32 AM

We started it !
I Think Melbourne has a more skilful midfield but hard and tough seemed to not be in them.
Collingwood has gone out and deliberately got hard,strong,hungry and angry mids.
Degoey and a few others play hard on and off the ground but if you can get control of the off field stuff they are dynamite on the footy ground.
If they continue in this form the flag is theirs.
I picked it about 5 weeks ago, they are up and running, I can't see a better midfield, they are playing finals football.

bornadog
13-06-2018, 11:33 AM
We started it !
I Think Melbourne has a more skilful midfield but hard and tough seemed to not be in them.
Collingwood has gone out and deliberately got hard,strong,hungry and angry mids.
Degoey and a few others play hard on and off the ground but if you can get control of the off field stuff they are dynamite on the footy ground.
I picked it about 5 weeks ago, they are up and running, I can't see a better midfield, they are playing finals football.

A long way to go Ledge, anything can happen.

LostDoggy
13-06-2018, 01:21 PM
We started it !

Collingwood midfield was certainly too good on Monday, but I don't think midfield toughness s generally a problem for the current list. Oliver, Viney, Jones, Vince, Lewis and Spargo are pretty hard at it, with Hogan, Petracca and Brayshaw all having bursts through the middle.

Sedat
14-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Meanwhile we've drafted/rookied/traded in one genuine midfielder in the last 3 years, and only because we delisted and re-rookied Roarke Smith to give us an extra late pick last year.

bornadog
14-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Meanwhile we've drafted/rookied/traded in one genuine midfielder in the last 3 years, and only because we delisted and re-rookied Roarke Smith to give us an extra late pick last year.

Very difficult to draft a top line midfielder when you have draft picks outside the top ten. Instead you have to try and entice mature players from other clubs, which as you know is not easy.

Twodogs
14-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Very difficult to draft a top line midfielder when you have draft picks outside the top ten. Instead you have to try and entice mature players from other clubs, which as you know is not easy.

Other clubs seem to manage it. Getting one who wants to come is the trick.

macca
15-06-2018, 12:27 AM
Other clubs seem to manage it. Getting one who wants to come is the trick.
Just going through R13 teams for some of the other teams , midfield pickups

Geelong found - Menegola and Kelly
Richmond - Caddy, Lambert, Graham, MacIntosh, Grigg ( they have incredible luck to recruit mid fielders and small forwards)
Eagles - Redden, Jetta
Carlton - Darcy Lang, Kerridge
ST kilda - dunstan, sinclair11
Adelaide - Gibson, Ellis-Yeoman, Lachlan Murphy

there are probably more who I missed. Where are the gun midfielders in state leagues? Who have we in our rookie list is the emerging midfielder?

jeemak
15-06-2018, 12:31 AM
I think we have specifically looked for flanker type utilities at the draft with a view to putting them into the midfield eventually.

Twodogs
15-06-2018, 02:57 AM
Just going through R13 teams for some of the other teams , midfield pickups

Geelong found - Menegola and Kelly
Richmond - Caddy, Lambert, Graham, MacIntosh, Grigg ( they have incredible luck to recruit mid fielders and small forwards)
Eagles - Redden, Jetta
Carlton - Darcy Lang, Kerridge
ST kilda - dunstan, sinclair11
Adelaide - Gibson, Ellis-Yeoman, Lachlan Murphy

there are probably more who I missed. Where are the gun midfielders in state leagues? Who have we in our rookie list is the emerging midfielder?

North have a few. They seem to have moved their old midfielders into the forward line and imported a new one from other clubs-Higgins, Anderson, Hartung.

Dry Rot
23-06-2018, 01:41 AM
Piss weak again.

On top for the first quarter, then just slowly but surely shat their pants.

Dry Rot
23-06-2018, 01:42 AM
Full of faux tough guys.

Viney is a ****.

GVGjr
23-06-2018, 11:11 AM
Piss weak again.

On top for the first quarter, then just slowly but surely shat their pants.

Port at home is a tough test. I don't think they are as bad as you think. We have them in a few weeks so I hope we are more competitive against them.

G-Mo77
23-06-2018, 11:15 AM
They fell over when it counted last night but they'll be a player come finals time.

The bulldog tragician
23-06-2018, 11:54 AM
I’m not sure about the answer to the original post but I’m super glad to see them not doing well. They are much smugger and on better terms with themselves than their actual record indicates.

Sedat
23-06-2018, 11:58 AM
They fell over when it counted last night but they'll be a player come finals time.
Would be very amusing if they finish 9th again. Hawtborn and North have a cushy draw and could easily overtake them in the run home.

G-Mo77
23-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Would be very amusing if they finish 9th again. Hawtborn and North have a cushy draw and could easily overtake them in the run home.

I'd rather them in than both those clubs.

Twodogs
23-06-2018, 01:24 PM

It certainly would. Not that their supporters particularly care.

Dry Rot
01-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Bump.

Beaten by the Saints....

Twodogs
01-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Bump.

Beaten by the Saints....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I enjoyed that.

Remi Moses
01-07-2018, 07:50 PM
Got a massive leave pass last week for mine .
The media and the coach went light on them in a game they should have won .
Going to be interesting to hear what Goodwin and the media say about this weeks effort
Stkilda had 60 more uncontested possessions to 3/4 time

Testekill
01-07-2018, 08:19 PM
Once more, the Demons are just not good enough and too soft to make it. They can sneak into the finals but they'll bomb out in the first round.

bulldogtragic
01-07-2018, 08:35 PM
Why are they still piss weak? Why is water wet? Because some things are just inherently that way, no matter what. The essence of piss weak is Melbourne, and the essence of Melbourne is piss weak.

bornadog
01-07-2018, 11:47 PM
We play them again in a fortnight at the G. Hopefully we will be more competitive this time

macca
02-07-2018, 01:43 AM
IT seems this thread gets a ring every 2 weeks. Its was Melbourne's fortnight off.
Go on Goodwin, give them the roasting!

jeemak
02-07-2018, 01:44 AM
They’re going to play finals. Six from ten in recent times and will likely win five from eight to get them to 13 wins for the year. 13/9 is a result around par. One or two wins more or vice versa things change......

Twodogs
02-07-2018, 05:01 AM
They’re going to play finals. Six from ten in recent times and will likely win five from eight to get them to 13 wins for the year. 13/9 is a result around par. One or two wins more or vice versa things change......

They aren't going to play finals.

Topdog
02-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Because there are so many poor teams this season 13 wins is probably a lottery of 6-10

Webby
02-07-2018, 10:13 AM
I’ve just looked ahead and can’t see Melbourne doing better than 4&4 in their last eight games. That lands them in 12 wins - albeit with a reasonable percentage.

I think they’ll miss by a game. They blew finals yesterday by being soft and flighty. Again..

craigsahibee
02-07-2018, 12:01 PM
We play them again in a fortnight at the G. Hopefully we will be more competitive this time

A week after they play in Darwin. Good chance to get them.

Testekill
02-07-2018, 12:19 PM
A week after they play in Darwin. Good chance to get them.

Plus it feels like we've discovered what we had in 2016 and if we can get the early jump on them then we can take them.

bornadog
02-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Plus it feels like we've discovered what we had in 2016 and if we can get the early jump on them then we can take them.

Makes a difference when you have an experienced backline.

Mofra
02-07-2018, 01:34 PM
Makes a difference when you have an experienced backline.
Plus that means two of our better performers this year, Richards and Williams, have shored up other parts of the ground.
They kicked 5 between them on Friday night.

Remi Moses
02-07-2018, 03:20 PM
They’re not playing well at the G .
Ironically they’re playing Etihad well now

azabob
02-07-2018, 08:13 PM
They’re not playing well at the G .
Ironically they’re playing Etihad well now

That also crossed my mind.

The bulldog tragician
02-07-2018, 09:32 PM
I’m not sure why they continue to disappoint but being able to read these very funny blogs by a supporter even more long suffering than us adds a wonderful edge to the inevitable garbage the overrated Dees serve up
http://mfcdemonblog.blogspot.com

westdog54
03-07-2018, 12:41 AM
https://www.news.com.au/video/id-5348771529001-5804318002001/melbournes-horror-workrate-exposed

A bit of basic analysis by Garry Lyon, showing where the Demons work rate is at right now.

craigsahibee
03-07-2018, 08:58 AM
I'm trying to be a better person and part of this process is to appreciate the good in life and be more positive.

Recently at our game against Melbourne I directed one of their supporters from Southern Cross Station to Etihad, as he hadn't been to the footy in a while and a mate gave him Medallion Club tickets so he wasn't sure where he had to go. I even wished him good luck which, for me and my relationship with all things MFC was a major progression in my new mantra. Having said all that, I still take delight in seeing them shoot themselves in the foot when the opportunity is there for the taking.

I am getting better, but it will take time.

macca
03-07-2018, 11:02 AM
https://www.news.com.au/video/id-5348771529001-5804318002001/melbournes-horror-workrate-exposed

A bit of basic analysis by Garry Lyon, showing where the Demons work rate is at right now.

Gee ,’Lyon was pretty critical . Worknrate not there
. DEES are kiddIng themselves if they take that attitude into the finals

The video after is even better , deconstruct h.taylor miss kick
I will add it to the afl game day thread

ledge
04-07-2018, 09:40 AM
Gee ,’Lyon was pretty critical . Worknrate not there
. DEES are kiddIng themselves if they take that attitude into the finals

The video after is even better , deconstruct h.taylor miss kick
I will add it to the afl game day thread

Worst thing about Gary highlighting it is that the demons will see it and come out to prove it wrong this week.

azabob
04-07-2018, 10:06 AM
Worst thing about Gary highlighting it is that the demons will see it and come out to prove it wrong this week.

That’s ok. When we play them they will be back at there normal habits.

Dry Rot
21-07-2018, 11:03 PM
Bump :D

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2018, 11:12 PM
Geez they are pathetic.

Dry Rot
21-07-2018, 11:17 PM
5 goals up and with all the momentum, the Demons find a way to lose.

Piss weak.

IIRC, they still haven't beaten a top 8 team this year.

macca
22-07-2018, 12:48 AM
The remainder of games

vs Adeliade(AO) R19
vs Suns (MCG)
vs Syd (home)
vs WC (away)
vs GWS (home) R23

With only the Suns a chance for an easier win, they are playing 3 top 8 teams, tough run home. Even Adelaide would want to smash them.

Can they threaten to finish 9th ?

Entertaining remainder 5 weeks.
enjoy the last 2 mins of the p* weak efforts

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-07-21/watch-the-last-two-minutes-geel-v-melb

Twodogs
22-07-2018, 01:46 AM
The remainder of games

vs Adeliade(AO) R19
vs Suns (MCG)
vs Syd (home)
vs WC (away)
vs GWS (home) R23

With only the Suns a chance for an easier win, they are playing 3 top 8 teams, tough run home. Even Adelaide would want to smash them.

Can they threaten to finish 9th ?

Entertaining remainder 5 weeks.
enjoy the last 2 mins of the p* weak efforts

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-07-21/watch-the-last-two-minutes-geel-v-melb

There is some outstanding piss weakering in there. I think the two Melbourne players punching it away from each other with 40 seconds left or Salem's torp are my favourites.

Dry Rot
22-07-2018, 02:24 AM
Salem's torp are my favourites.

I think that was Petracca.

I watched him closely in the last quarter. Has some Stringer characteristics. If he doesn't win the first contest, he falls off and couldn't give a shit.

Show pony.

Twodogs
22-07-2018, 04:36 AM

I watched him closely in the last quarter. Has some Stringer characteristics. If he doesn't win the first contest, he falls off and couldn't give a shit.

Show pony.

Right you are. It must have been Salem who punched the ball away from his teammate,

Grantysghost
22-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Interestingly the FC (theyve removed any link to Demons) have only beaten one side who were in top 8 when they played. Crows in Rd 10 (91 points). They have not beaten a side in the current top 8 unless you count themselves last night.

ledge
22-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Suns might not be an easy kill , remember how much they travelled? They look like they have discovered some love and are playing for each other , could be an interesting match.

Mofra
22-07-2018, 11:50 AM
Is it true that Melbourne are 0-5 against top 8 sides?

Grantysghost
22-07-2018, 11:51 AM
Is it true that Melbourne are 0-5 against top 8 sides?

Current top 8 sounds right without fact checking. They beat crows when they were in the 8 Rd 10.

Edit : Decided to check

So here are their games against current top 8 :

Rd 1 v Cats Loss 94-97 MCG
Rd 4 v Tigers Loss 56-102 MCG
Rd 12 v Magpies Loss 91-133 MCG
Rd 14 v Power Loss 65-75 Adelaide
Rd 18 v Cats Loss 98-100 GMHBA

So 0-5 For 404 Against 507 Percentage 79.68

Games to come v current top 8

Rd 19 v Crows Adelaide
Rd 21 v Swans MCG
Rd 22 v Eagles Optus
Rd 23 v GWS MCG

They'd want to win the MCG games to ensure finals.

Happy Days
22-07-2018, 12:46 PM
Good to see they've honed in on the real issues coming from their performance last night:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-22/dees-want-answers-on-staggering-free-kick

ledge
22-07-2018, 02:01 PM
Good to see they've honed in on the real issues coming from their performance last night:

That is very funny .. He had a helmet on and couldn't hear , so it's the AFLs fault.
To be honest It's a stupid rule nominating the ruck though.

westdog54
22-07-2018, 02:45 PM
That is very funny .. He had a helmet on and couldn't hear , so it's the AFLs fault.
To be honest It's a stupid rule nominating the ruck though.

A stupid rule (the no 3rd man part), which, when shown to be stupid, led to an even stupider rule (the nominating part). The whole thing creates more trouble than it prevents.

bornadog
22-07-2018, 02:53 PM

That was almost cheating by Dangerfield

Daughter of the West
22-07-2018, 09:54 PM

Show pony.

One of the commentators referred to him last night as the "Italian Stallion." Kinda close to "show pony"...

ratsmac
24-07-2018, 07:16 AM
A stupid rule (the no 3rd man part), which, when shown to be stupid, led to an even stupider rule (the nominating part). The whole thing creates more trouble than it prevents.

It's embarrassing for the game if you ask me. Treating men like primary school children.
If a third player goes up in the ruck, pay a free kick, simple. No need for this nomination nonsense. So if no one nominates the ump throws the ball up and it has to hit the ground before anyone can go for the ball....that's insanity.

ledge
24-07-2018, 09:54 AM
It's embarrassing for the game if you ask me. Treating men like primary school children.
If a third player goes up in the ruck, pay a free kick, simple. No need for this nomination nonsense. So if no one nominates the ump throws the ball up and it has to hit the ground before anyone can go for the ball....that's insanity.

They also wait for the person nominating to get there, apparently Gawn nominated from 50 Mtres from the contest a few weeks ago and the umpire waited for him to get there!
And then the AFL worry about too much congestion , this is the major rule that causes it !
But they won't admit it and change it , they will make more insane rules that cause more headaches.
The taking the legs out rule baffles me completely , when is it the player on the ground who's head gets hit by someone's legs ok and the player hitting him is awarded a free kick for head high hitting when they tell
Us the head is a no go area.

jeemak
24-07-2018, 10:07 AM
They also wait for the person nominating to get there, apparently Gawn nominated from 50 Mtres from the contest a few weeks ago and the umpire waited for him to get there!
And then the AFL worry about too much congestion , this is the major rule that causes it !
But they won't admit it and change it , they will make more insane rules that cause more headaches.
The taking the legs out rule baffles me completely , when is it the player on the ground who's head gets hit by someone's legs ok and the player hitting him is awarded a free kick for head high hitting when they tell
Us the head is a no go area.

The contact below the legs rule has nothing to do with injuries either. It's to help decrease congestion, and funnily enough, much like when they made the head sacrosanct (when players dived head first into contests) it's causing players to lead with their legs knowing they'll get a free kick - increasing the risk of injury.

Dry Rot
12-08-2018, 06:52 PM
Bump. Well done Swans against the pea hearts. Love Heeney.

bulldogtragic
12-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Their piss weakness certainly has nothing to do with Roos. It's probably some ingrained culture his genius just couldn't get out of the place.

Twodogs
12-08-2018, 10:16 PM
Bump. Well done Swans against the pea hearts. Love Heeney.

Wasn't Heeney massive in the last ten minutes? If I was the Melbourne captain I would have called a count to see how the swans snuck all the Isaac *!*!*!*!ing Heeney lookalikes onto the ground with nobody noticing. There were four Isaac Heeneys at one stage because Heeney marked it then kicked it to Heeney who handballed to Heeney running past who got a solid block from Heeney to keep going.

Hes my new "wish he was in red, white and blue' boy. He's taken over from Josh Kelly

Sedat
12-08-2018, 11:39 PM
They haven't beaten anyone in the top 9 all season and yet have a percentage over 130. They know how to beat up on the weaklings but always fall short of the mark against the better teams.

boydogs
12-08-2018, 11:42 PM
They haven't beaten anyone in the top 9 all season and yet have a percentage over 130. They know how to beat up on the weaklings but always fall short of the mark against the better teams.

They remind me of our 05-10 sides. Great home & away scoring power but an inch short in the big games

Twodogs
12-08-2018, 11:43 PM

If you look up Flat Track Bully in the dictionary they just have a picture of the Melbourne squad. It used to be a picture of Matthew Hayden but he learned how to use his feet to spinners so they had to find something else. Luckily MFC came along.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 10:11 AM
Titus O'Reily

@TitusOReily
2d2 days ago
More
Melbourne have kept their missing finals hopes alive with a stunning display at the MCG. #AFLDeesSwans

Daughter of the West
14-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Titus O'Reily

@TitusOReily
2d2 days ago
More
Melbourne have kept their missing finals hopes alive with a stunning display at the MCG. #AFLDeesSwans

Titus is always at his best when Melbourne lose the plot. My personal favourite was:

@TitusOReily
1:05 AM - 12 Aug 2018

The only time Melbourne didn’t miss today was when they thrust a dagger into my heart. #AFLDeesSwans

Rocket Science
14-08-2018, 12:07 PM
Deep down somewhere I like to think it has something to do with Gaddy Lyon.

Don't go changing Dees.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Deep down somewhere I like to think it has something to do with Gaddy Lyon.

Don't go changing Dees.

I have a few mates/acquaintances that are long term Melbourne supporters and I would be happy for them if Melbourne achieved some success.

However, I wish no success to be associated with that former Melbourne captain.

Twodogs
14-08-2018, 09:00 PM
I have a few mates/acquaintances that are long term Melbourne supporters and I would be happy for them if Melbourne achieved some success.

However, I wish no success to be associated with that former Melbourne captain.

I thought about that for a bit and I can't think of one Melbourne supporter I know. In fact I reckon that the kid who lived around the corner (I think his name was Glen) who was Harvey Merrigan's cousin is the last Melbourne supporter I knew.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2018, 09:02 PM
I thought about that for a bit and I can't think of one Melbourne supporter I know. In fact I reckon that the kid who lived around the corner (I think his name was Glen) who was Harvey Merrigan's cousin is the last Melbourne supporter I knew.

Well I do know a few and I don't even ski.

Daughter of the West
15-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Well I do know a few and I don't even ski.

My uncle and his kids are Melbourne supporters.

I have absolutely no idea how the son of post WW2 Polish immigrants turned factory workers living in Fawkner ended up barracking for Melbourne. He doesn't ski either!

Ozza
15-08-2018, 11:29 AM
For whatever reason, I've ended up with 4 of my closest mates being Melbourne supporters - and these are blokes who grew up in the West or North West, and are certainly no skiing types!

The group messages going around when Melbourne are faltering, have been highly amusing. A real love/hate relationship with their club.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Mildly satisfying if they miss the finals again, even though I do enjoy watching them play at times but given the help they have had along the way from the AFL and the Garry Lyon flog factor, it's amusing to see them consistently choke.

I would hate to be a Melbourne supporter. On talent and promise they actually should be Top 4 and in contention, but this thread title sums them up - piss weak and in danger of missing the 8 again.

ledge
15-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Terry Wallace says it’s a curse from sacking the best coach they ever had back in the 60s,they need an exorcism apparently.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Terry Wallace says it’s a curse from sacking the best coach they ever had back in the 60s,they need an exorcism apparently.

A link to an article a mate of mine wrote that talks about that very incident, https://australianfootball.com/articles/view/The%2Bmaster%2Band%2Bthe%2Bpupil/2874

Happy Days
15-08-2018, 01:34 PM
Dees are 0-5 with a percentage of 66.67% against the top 8.

So not only are they not top 8 standard, but they can't even squeeze in despite never having to play them.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 02:32 PM
After we did it in 2016 I think Melbourne think they just have to make the eight and they will cruise through 4 finals and win a flag.

Ozza
15-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Yeah I think it gets a bit lost on people, or they forget the historical context of us finishing 7th.

The reality of us finishing 7th was that;

- Only 2 wins separated 1st and 7th.
- We won 15 games.
- Going in to the finals we had beaten the teams placed 1st, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th (and went on to beat 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th in finals). During the season we had been well in the games against the teams we hadn't beaten, including running Hawthorn to 3 points.

We may have been 7th - but we were never miles off anyone.

Melbourne have been flogged by the two top 4 teams they've played Richmond and Hawthorn - and still have to play the other 2 top 4 teams, they were beaten comprehensively by the Pies, beaten by Sydney at the MCG, and lost in close ones to Port and Geelong twice.

EasternWest
15-08-2018, 04:14 PM
Yeah I think it gets a bit lost on people, or they forget the historical context of us finishing 7th.

- We won 15 games.
- Going in to the finals we had beaten the teams placed 1st, 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th (and went on to beat 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th in finals). During the season we had been well in the games against the teams we hadn't beaten, including running Hawthorn to 3 points.

Melbourne have been flogged by the two top 4 teams they've played Richmond and Hawthorn - and still have to play the other 2 top 4 teams, they were beaten comprehensively by the Pies, beaten by Sydney at the MCG, and lost in close ones to Port and Geelong twice.

�� good post Oz.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 04:55 PM

- We won 15 games.

And we were never out of games. Even if we didn't play well for 2 and a half quarters we weren't getting blown away and managed to pinch a couple of wins in games where we had been comprehensively outplayed. That's what I take away from our premiership, that defence is more important than attack because defending well helps you stay in games.

bornadog
15-08-2018, 04:59 PM

- We won 15 games.

And we were never out of games. Even if we didn't play well for 2 and a half quarters we weren't getting blown away and managed to pinch a couple of wins in games where we had been comprehensively outplayed. That's what I take away from our premiership, that defence is more important than attack because defending well helps you stay in games.

The only game we were blown away was Geelong at ETihad, that was a poor effort

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Even then we had nearly as many scoring shots.

ledge
15-08-2018, 06:17 PM

Freo last game was horrific.

bornadog
15-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Freo last game was horrific.

In the end it was 22 points and we left half the team at home.

The Cats game we got done by 57 points and were never in it.

The bulldog tragician
15-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Melbourne’s example is a cautionary tale about tanking and why I never want us to do do. It rots a club’s culture. Their draft picks have that gws sense of entitlement that it will all just come to them.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Wasn't Heeney massive in the last ten minutes? If I was the Melbourne captain I would have called a count to see how the swans snuck all the Isaac *!*!*!*!ing Heeney lookalikes onto the ground with nobody noticing. There were four Isaac Heeneys at one stage because Heeney marked it then kicked it to Heeney who handballed to Heeney running past who got a solid block from Heeney to keep going.

Boy we're lucky they didn't let these 5 Heeneys play the grand final. And they let us have a week off while everyone else had to play.

Back on topic, the Melbourne story is a good reminder that finals are very difficult to make, natural improvement isn't a given and the injury/recuperation gods must smile on you at least a little.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 10:21 PM
Boy we're lucky they didn't let these 5 Heeneys play the grand final. And they let us have a week off while everyone else had to play.

Don't forget they instructed the umpires to pay us free kicks whenever possible.

It was just another of the long list of favours the AFL are always doing for us. It was only right they changed the rules to blunt our advantages after we won the flag. It wouldn't have been fair on the rest otherwise.

Back on topic, the Melbourne story is a good reminder that finals are very difficult to make, natural improvement isn't a given and the injury/recuperation gods must smile on you at least a little.

Yep a lot of things have to go right just to make the finals.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 11:22 PM
My uncle and his kids are Melbourne supporters.

I have absolutely no idea how the son of post WW2 Polish immigrants turned factory workers living in Fawkner ended up barracking for Melbourne. He doesn't ski either!

Melbourne won quite a few premierships in the post war era as well as being an already established power going into it/during it. They won a hatrick between 39-41 then 7 flags in the 20 year period after so if you wanted to get on the winning team back then it's Melbourne.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2018, 11:06 AM

- We won 15 games.

These are really good observations. Ladder position doesn't always give you an accurate picture.

Twodogs
16-08-2018, 01:35 PM
These are really good observations. Ladder position doesn't always give you an accurate picture.

It's usually the team that plays best in September that wins the flag is my stunningly obvious observation. That's what I learned between 08-10, that finals are a completely different and new season and the best H&A team often isn't the best finals team.

westdog54
19-08-2018, 08:14 PM
And out of nowhere they pull a win in Perth out of their arses and all but cement their spot in the 8. They'd have to shit the bed even worse than last year to miss out now.

Testekill
19-08-2018, 09:30 PM
They'll end up making the finals but I can't see them going far.

Bulldog Joe
20-08-2018, 09:18 AM
And out of nowhere they pull a win in Perth out of their arses and all but cement their spot in the 8. They'd have to shit the bed even worse than last year to miss out now.

With Port Adelaide the only side out of the 8, who can reach 13 wins, Melbourne cannot be displaced.

Port would need to beat Essendon and gain a 400 point win/loss advantage to get ahead of Melbourne.

Melbourne play GWS for the right to a home final.

Topdog
20-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Darling went down early and no Kennedy.

craigsahibee
21-08-2018, 03:51 PM
With Port Adelaide the only side out of the 8, who can reach 13 wins, Melbourne cannot be displaced.

Port would need to beat Essendon and gain a 400 point win/loss advantage to get ahead of Melbourne.

Melbourne play GWS for the right to a home final.

Possibly against GWS. This could shape to be a cracker of a game considering Home ground Advantage is up for grabs and GWS could grab a double chance.

GVGjr
07-09-2018, 11:08 PM
Fair effort by the Dees. Not quite as bad as the opening post indicates

boydogs
08-09-2018, 12:02 AM

They've responded well after their close losses this year, it's really galvanised them

Dry Rot
08-09-2018, 01:36 AM

Disagree. Cats are woeful.

In fact, I should start a thread titled Why are the Cats so piss weak? IRRC, 3 years now of woeful Cats finals performances.

Bulldog Joe
08-09-2018, 08:53 AM
Disagree. Cats are woeful.

In fact, I should start a thread titled Why are the Cats so piss weak? IRRC, 3 years now of woeful Cats finals performances.

Geelong have given away picks to get mature players, creating a long tail.

Dry Rot
11-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Dees have been lucky being in the weaker side of the draw.

Should beat crappy Hawks without Stratton, but won't win a PF.

Twodogs
11-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Every year we get seduced into believing the team that won the elimination final will roll over the top of the team that lost the qualifying final but the difference in quality between the teams that finished 5-8 and the teams that finish 1-4 usually tells. I wouldn't be awarding Melbourne any more wins just yet.

GVGjr
15-09-2018, 04:42 PM

Perhaps not but they aren't a bad side and are certainly not weak

Topdog
15-09-2018, 05:54 PM
Yeah they've grown up a bit over the last month. They'd have lost that game 2 months ago

Grantysghost
15-09-2018, 08:26 PM
Harmes in that negating role has been fantastic. Couple that with Brayshaw, Viney who is built for finals they're a decent side as unlikeable as they are ( apparently dogs players most hated opponent ) . Has any player turned it around like Tom McDonald. Average defender into gun forward. Not sure I've seen it before.

westdog54
15-09-2018, 08:58 PM
Viney is a damned good footballer. Composed, hard at it, light on his feet and a beast in the contest. I'd forgotten how much his very presence improves that team.

Seeing the forward line lift in Hogan's absence has been impressive as well.

This team are growing on me. They'll just fall short against the Eagles but it'll be a cracking game.

bornadog
15-09-2018, 09:09 PM
One thing about the Dees is they can kick a big score

Twodogs
15-09-2018, 09:10 PM
Momentum is everything in footy and everything is falling Melbourne's way at the moment.

azabob
15-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Momentum is everything in footy and everything is falling Melbourne's way at the moment.

Just like it is for Richmond?

macca
16-09-2018, 12:55 AM
Harmes in that negating role has been fantastic. Couple that with Brayshaw, Viney who is built for finals they're a decent side as unlikeable as they are ( apparently dogs players most hated opponent ) . Has any player turned it around like Tom McDonald. Average defender into gun forward. Not sure I've seen it before.

Whatever magic dust they are showering on some of these players, we need some of it.
Melksham: his become a really good player this year. Was an ordinary player at essendon.
Jetta: commentators mentioned his one of the best defenders for his side.
Tom Macdonald: Where has he come from? His a marking beast, and gives them the marking forward and bring ball to ground option. Where can we find someone like him?

I hate it how they pitch Hannan of us.

Harmes is a fair footballer

Viney spin and weave to feed off the ball was amazing.

Interesting McCartney is their Player/Performance manager. Results are showing in some of the young players.

SonofScray
16-09-2018, 10:04 AM
Melbourne are up and running, they seem to have adjusted and addressed the major flaws. I think they have one more big stuff up in them though.

Ozza
16-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Thread isn’t aging that well.

Twodogs
17-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Let's just wait until we award them the premiership. They have won two finals, they are only halfway.

Ozza
17-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Let's just wait until we award them the premiership. They have won two finals, they are only halfway.

Nobody is awarding them the premiership.
But as much as I'm not enjoying it - they have stood up under the pressure of two MCG finals against teams that have far more experience in finals. They've been anything but 'pissweak', and although I don't think they will win it this year - they are well placed to contend for a few years.

Twodogs
17-09-2018, 05:36 PM
Nobody is awarding them the premiership.
But as much as I'm not enjoying it - they have stood up under the pressure of two MCG finals against teams that have far more experience in finals. They've been anything but 'pissweak', and although I don't think they will win it this year - they are well placed to contend for a few years.

I thought about it the other day and I'd like to see them get what we got in 2016, it's enough acting like the Grinch from me, and for as long as I can avoid most of their actual supporters I think I can keep up the goodwill.

It's just when I see their smug bastard supporters anywhere-even on the TV with the sound muted. It only takes a glimpse of Barrasi or Gaddy or one of the Cordners or some old duck that remembers how good it used to be when Norm *!*!*!*!ing Smith used to the coach that gets me thinking "I so very much hate these people with a passion. How very dare they draw on us for inspiration"

The bulldog tragician
17-09-2018, 08:07 PM
I thought about it the other day and I'd like to see them get what we got in 2016, it's enough acting like the Grinch from me, and for as long as I can avoid most of their actual supporters I think I can keep up the goodwill.

It's just when I see their smug bastard supporters anywhere-even on the TV with the sound muted. It only takes a glimpse of Barrasi or Gaddy or one of the Cordners or some old duck that remembers how good it used to be when Norm *!*!*!*!ing Smith used to the coach that gets me thinking "I so very much hate these people with a passion. How very dare they draw on us for inspiration"

I was concerned you’d mellowed.

I don’t want ANYONE to experience our fairytale. And they really are objectionable.

azabob
17-09-2018, 08:20 PM

So in your opinion if both Melbourne and Richmond can’t win the premiership cause they are not good enough who does?

EasternWest
17-09-2018, 08:31 PM
So in your opinion if both Melbourne and Richmond can’t win the premiership cause they are not good enough who does?

Ray Chamberlain.

azabob
17-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Ray Chamberlain.

Surely he is done for the year?

EasternWest
17-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Surely he is done for the year?

Do you mean career? Because that would be my preference.

Dry Rot
17-09-2018, 09:35 PM

They've only beaten two even more pissweak teams in the finals so far.

craigsahibee
18-09-2018, 09:02 AM
I think I am growing as a person. Last week I actually had $10 on Melbourne to win by a margin of 43 - 60. At one stage there I had to take a good hard look at myself when I was criticising the umpires for paying dodgy contact below the knees free kicks against them.

I must admit, their best footy is fantastic, but, Like watching Richo Man, their worst is even better.

I think they're the only ones who can shake the Tigers at the 'G at the end of the month, but overcoming West Coast is going to be tough. They do have the momentum which we all know is a very good thing. Part of me would like to see their fairytale end this week, but the other part of me would like to see them come crashing down on the biggest stage of all. Hang on. I really haven't "grown" at all have I?

G-Mo77
18-09-2018, 03:10 PM
They've only beaten two even more pissweak teams in the finals so far.

Yeah I got sick of hearing the excuse why my team was winning in the 2016 finals. :rolleyes:

Time to suck it up and give credit's where it's due, even if they get beat in Perth they've moved further into finals than anyone thought they would.

Rocket Science
18-09-2018, 03:39 PM
I'd humbly suggest knocking over the two wobbliest sides in the 2018 finals pales somewhat next to our 2016 feats; a then-rampant Eagles away, a hardened Hawks outfit at the G, a primed GWS away and then the biggie.

comrade
18-09-2018, 03:39 PM
I'd humbly suggest knocking over the two wobbliest sides in the 2018 finals pales somewhat next to our 2016 feats; a then-rampant Eagles away, a hardened Hawks outfit at the G, a primed GWS away and then the biggie.

Yep, this is like the watered down Diet-Diet-Coke version of our flag run.

G-Mo77
18-09-2018, 04:01 PM

Still the excuses were there. We only beat the Eagles because of the week off before the finals, can't remember what the excuses were for Rounds 2 and 3, probably Ward getting concussed and we did only win the Grand Final because of free kicks. HAHA

Melbourne have beaten who is front of them. Knocked off Geelong who had it over them, I think the Hawks had a pretty strong record against in recent times as well, they're still there and a good chance this week. If they win this week it'll be because of West Coasts injury list.

whythelongface
18-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Yeah I got sick of hearing the excuse why my team was winning in the 2016 finals. :rolleyes:

Time to suck it up and give credit's where it's due, even if they get beat in Perth they've moved further into finals than anyone thought they would.

Yep agree. They are traveling very well and will provide West Coast with a stern test.

They are certainly ahead of us (at least for this year).

Twodogs
18-09-2018, 07:28 PM

Collingwood.

I wouldn't say anyone thought they wouldn't win their first two finals. A lot of the press had them winning the premiership from the elimination final because, you know, that's what teams do now. They scrape into the finals and then they win the flag. After all thats what we did in the eyes of the press.

Personally I'm getting sick of that characterisation because it downplays our acheivment and overestimates what Melbourne have done so far.

The bulldog tragician
19-09-2018, 12:59 PM
Collingwood.

I wouldn't say anyone thought they wouldn't win their first two finals. A lot of the press had them winning the premiership from the elimination final because, you know, that's what teams do now. They scrape into the finals and then they win the flag. After all thats what we did in the eyes of the press.

Personally I'm getting sick of that characterisation because it downplays our acheivment and overestimates what Melbourne have done so far.

Melbourne were favourites in both finals which was very different to the scenarios of our first two weeks.

Sedat
19-09-2018, 01:37 PM
They're certainly not pissweak but Melbourne's finals campaign has been a touch overrated by the media. They smashed an inept Geelong but kept then in the game for far too long and they were very lucky for large parts against a profligate (and inferior) Hawthorn.

Topdog
19-09-2018, 05:23 PM
If Gunston kicks that goal the Hawks win IMO.

Having said that, Melbourne would have lost that game earlier in the year regardless. They have improved and are getting better at closing out games

jeemak
22-09-2018, 02:34 AM
This is an interesting article by Wilson - well the start of it is anyway.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-storm-before-the-calm-at-melbourne-20180921-p50587.html

I wonder what the AFL response would have been to this crisis if it didn't pin the hopes of the entire competition on the revenue gained by having 18 teams in the competition, alongside it being one of North Melbourne, St Kilda or ourselves in the parlous position Melbourne was in at the time.

Actually, I don't wonder. The AFEL would have found a way to make things work without us.

This club's fans are so bloody arrogant about their rise to a preliminary final. They're privileged twats who will never know how close oblivion could ever be because someone, somewhere, will always step in to bail them out like Demetriou did all of those years ago.

jeemak
22-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Well this is clearly my hobby horse for the day. Rob Sitch, who I actually like, gets going well and then starts talking about rotten luck for the Demons.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/finally-footy-gods-may-smile-on-the-demons-20180921-p505be.html

That said, no one has had darker days than Melbourne. No one has had crueller luck. For a decade or more, the game took the best that the president, the board, the coaching panel, the players and the support staff could offer and allowed them only to make up the numbers.

Every plague and pestilence was visited upon our club: poaching expansion teams; debt; tragedy; Sunday games; 1.10pm starts; Etihad; naviculars; and the AFL doing their best Claude Rains impersonation with us as the usual suspects. You name it, we copped it.

Give me a spell.

What he fails to call out is just how pathetically Melbourne managed its playing talent, particularly through the draft process. He also fails to mention their toxic culture of tanking and the shambolic way in which the club was managed over the course of the journey from the executive down. Luck had nothing to do with their terrible situation, beyond the tragic death of Jim Stynes.

Melbourne's first and second round picks:

2008 (16th) - Jack Watts 1, Sam Blease 17 (Priority) and James Strauss 19

2009 (16th) - Tom Scully 1, Jack Trengove 2, Jordan Gysberts 11 and Luke Tapscott 18. Max Gawn landed at 34 as a 3rd round selection showing just how long rucks can take to develop

2010 (12th) - Lucas Cook 11 and Jeremy Howe 33

2011 (13th) - Rory Taggert 36

2012 (16th) - Jimmy Toumpas 4 and Jack Viney 26

2013 (17th) - Christian Salem 9

It's actually a real shame that a man of his intelligence is either so entitled or on this topic ignorant, that he can't bring himself around to the fact that Melbourne dished up the crap it did to its supporters because of its own shortcomings and not because of external factors.

azabob
22-09-2018, 04:42 PM
That is some terrible drafting or development of young talent.

EasternWest
22-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Only the best premiership contenders fly to Perth and smash the Eagles in a final.

Sedat
22-09-2018, 05:18 PM
This is as bad a finals performance as you can get. Kamikaze, panic, no composure whatsoever.

jeemak
22-09-2018, 05:29 PM
Worst finals half since 1960........

comrade
22-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Roosy going to take credit for this?

Ghost Dog
22-09-2018, 05:35 PM
This thread's stocks suddenly went up. Paul Roos drinks his own bathwater with ice and a pink umbrella.
Two teams, Richmond and Melbourne getting caught up in their own hype?
Only makes our effort in 2016, with hardly any finals experience, winning in WA, look even grander.

josie
22-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Dees are gawn (I will show myself out the door).

Bloody hard to win a final in Perth.....

bulldogtragic
22-09-2018, 05:38 PM
If this continues, it's a loss that could make things a fair bit worse in this rebuild, of a rebuild, of a rebuild, of a rebuild of a rebuild.

Sedat
22-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Roosy going to take credit for this?
Why don't any of his cohorts ask him how Tyson and Salem are going?

bornadog
22-09-2018, 05:43 PM
Is this the worse performance in a prelim ever?

Scraggers
22-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Dees are gawn (I will show myself out the door).

Bloody hard to win a final in Perth.....

Who was the last team to win a final in Perth ? :cool:

Dry Rot
22-09-2018, 05:49 PM
Piss weak

Rocket Science
22-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Is this the worse performance in a prelim ever?

There was a stat thrown up during the broadcast : you have to go back to 1927 for the last team to go goalless in the first half of a prelim.

Tee hee.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2018, 06:18 PM
There was a stat thrown up during the broadcast : you have to go back to 1927 for the last team to go goalless in the first half of a prelim.

Tee hee.

#RecordBreakers

EasternWest
22-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Tee hee.

Honestly RS that last bit is pretty juvenile. Is it really necessary?

Do it again.

bornadog
22-09-2018, 06:21 PM

Tee hee.

Missed the first half, so didn't hear that. Wow some stat, tee hee

westdog54
22-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Who was the last team to win a final in Perth ? :cool:

Technically, West Coast...

ledge
22-09-2018, 07:31 PM

Not technical it’s fact, the last two actually.

Twodogs
22-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Honestly RS that last bit is pretty juvenile. Is it really necessary?

Do it again.

Tee hee!

Go you *!*!*!*!img doggies, break records and earn admiration boys!

I think it's about time I laid the truth on the table. I think I love Dry Rot...

Scraggers
22-09-2018, 10:54 PM

True true ... let me clarify.
Who is the last non-WA team to win a final in Perth? :p

SonofScray
23-09-2018, 09:17 AM
I just knew they had another performance like that in them. There is a hubris about them, a sense of entitlement that poisons the story they are trying to tell about themselves.

SlimPickens
23-09-2018, 09:41 AM
Couldn’t get over how weak they were in the contest yesterday! Viney, Jones, Oliver etc looked so timid. Just a horrendous performance, it’s like they just expected it to happen

G-Mo77
23-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Geez you guys are too much. I'm at the airport now and I've seen a few Melbourne supporters and my heart breaks for them. It wasn't long ago we had a drought that seemed like it never was going to end. I don't know how so many of you could experience so much glee in another teams failure. Kind of sad really. :rolleyes:

Sedat
23-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Couldn’t get over how weak they were in the contest yesterday! Viney, Jones, Oliver etc looked so timid. Just a horrendous performance, it’s like they just expected it to happen
Viney was a 'courageous warrior' yesterday according to the desdshits on Ch 7. That flop trying to get a reversal on McGovern was Riewoldt 2009 PF levels of courageous.

The Pie Man
23-09-2018, 12:18 PM
This thread aged ok after all

*phew*

Rocket Science
23-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Geez you guys are too much. I'm at the airport now and I've seen a few Melbourne supporters and my heart breaks for them. It wasn't long ago we had a drought that seemed like it never was going to end. I don't know how so many of you could experience so much glee in another teams failure. Kind of sad really. :rolleyes:

Consider it karmic justice for the Jeff White on Wayde Skipper travesty.

Daughter of the West
23-09-2018, 01:11 PM

My biggest problem with them was that the supporters and team seemed to think that it should just all fall into place for them - Dogs drought over, then Richmond's, must be our turn. And they just didn't even give a whimper yesterday.

Mind you, if the same had happened to us in Sydney I would have been beyond crushed.

comrade
23-09-2018, 02:43 PM
The fairytale narrative around Melbourne's 'unlikely rise' has been a complete sham.

They tanked for early picks, had huge amounts of support from the AFL to keep them afloat (priority picks, AFL funded administration & coach, Frawley compensation) and have always had a blockbuster fixture no matter how woeful they've been (Queen's Birthday) while our Club has had to fight and scrap for everything. Of course they should be rising up the ladder...they've been **** for over a decade and have a list chock full of first rounders.

They also have some A grade dickheads playing for them (Oliver & Petracca top of the list) and their fans have become increasingly smug over the last 12 months with very little to warrant it.

So, yeah...I was pretty happy to see their true colours revealed on the big stage yesterday.

Rocket Science
23-09-2018, 07:05 PM
https://image.ibb.co/f9Ku49/Screen_Shot_2018_09_23_at_6_02_09_PM.png (https://ibb.co/jPxgj9)

https://image.ibb.co/kQqOxU/Screen_Shot_2018_09_23_at_6_05_03_PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

ledge
23-09-2018, 09:52 PM
https://image.ibb.co/f9Ku49/Screen_Shot_2018_09_23_at_6_02_09_PM.png (https://ibb.co/jPxgj9)

https://image.ibb.co/kQqOxU/Screen_Shot_2018_09_23_at_6_05_03_PM.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory.

Dry Rot
23-09-2018, 09:58 PM
At least the Dees seconds kicked some goals in the first quarter.

Promote them all to the firsts next year!

bornadog
23-09-2018, 11:12 PM
At least the Dees seconds kicked some goals in the first quarter.

Promote them all to the firsts next year!

Funny, they were the highest scoring team of the year, yet couldn't kick goals in the first half. Just goes to show, if you don't work hard enough, you won't get the ball.

Twodogs
24-09-2018, 11:37 AM

They have nothing but contempt for us and what we do. They thought all they had to do was remember to get to the airport on time and everything would fall into place.

That shows a complete lack of respect for our premiership win. They think it's that simple because everything they have 'achieved' has been handed to them on a plate. It's a pretty simple equation. They get some respect from supporters when they have earned it and not before. The AFL will keep providing them with the goodies though.

Ghost Dog
25-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Titus should be in tip-top form this week. Will have a look.

"Richmond fans simply sat there in shock thinking, ‘this is going to be hard to top for the worst performance in a Preliminary final this weekend’.

It wasn’t. "

What follows next is pretty funny writing (https://www.titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-finals-week-three-3).

ledge
25-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Red and blue had a shocker this weekend all the losers in WAFL SANFL,AFL and VFL were those colours.

Dry Rot
20-04-2019, 08:26 PM
Should we change the thread title to 2019?

macca
20-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Should we change the thread title to 2019?Can we remove the year label ? And have dees as ever whipping team .

Why the demons will always be piss weak ?

GVGjr
21-04-2019, 01:23 AM
Can we remove the year label ? And have dees as ever whipping team .

Why the demons will always be piss weak ?
We will close tge thread. The discussion cane be continued on the AFL Game day thread each week when required