PDA

View Full Version : Roslyn Smorgon

GVGjr
27-01-2008, 01:45 PM
I just got the news of the passing of Roslyn Smorgon.

The LeasePlan Western Bulldogs is deeply saddened by the passing of Roslyn Smorgon, wife of President David Smorgon.

Roslyn passed away this morning following a lengthy battle with cancer.

On behalf of the whole Bulldogs community, board, management, playing group, coaching group, staff and members our hearts and sympathies are with David and his family at this time as we pay our respects to an outstanding lady, wonderful mother and devoted Bulldogs member.

Under Jewish religion the funeral will be held this evening.

Anyone who knew Roslyn and the Smorgon family are welcome to attend the funeral which will be held at Springvale Cemetery, Jewish section, Browns Road, Springvale at 5pm today.

LostDoggy
27-01-2008, 01:48 PM
My thoughts are with the family.

RIP

Twodogs
27-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Tragic news. My thoughts are with the Smorgons.

BulldogBelle
27-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Thanks for letting us know GVG,

My condolences are with the Smorgon family, very sad news.

Max469
27-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Very sad news.

My thoughts are with the Smorgon family at this time.

RIP

The Coon Dog
27-01-2008, 03:55 PM
A sad passing. A wonderful lady. Sympathies for David & family.

Mantis
27-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Very sad news.

Thoughts are with David & family.

DOG GOD
27-01-2008, 09:09 PM
my deepest sympathies to David and his family.

Prince Imperial
27-01-2008, 10:20 PM
A brave and caring lady. Our thoughts are with our President and his family at this time of sadness.

The Coon Dog
28-01-2008, 04:21 AM
Smorgon's wife loses cancer battle (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,23118680%255E20322,00.html)

28 January 2008 - Herald Sun - Micahel Warner

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon is mourning the death of his wife, Roslyn.

Mrs Smorgon, 59, died yesterday after a five-year fight with cancer.

Under Jewish tradition, a funeral was held last night at Springvale Cemetery.

A tireless fundraiser, Mrs Smorgon was awarded the Member of the Order of Australia in 2006 for services to the community, women's health and the arts.

Beneficiaries of her work included the Breast Cancer Network Australia, St Vincent's Institute, Footscray Community Arts Centre, Mount Scopus College, Monash University and the Peter MacCallum Cancer Institute.

She founded the Western Bulldogs women's group - the Bulldog Belles - offering scholarships to young females from the western suburbs.

A mother of three sons, Mrs Smorgon was diagnosed with bowel cancer in February 2003 but continued in her extensive community work.

"Our hearts and sympathies are with David and his family at this time as we pay our respects to an outstanding lady, wonderful mother and devoted Bulldogs member," club CEO Campbell Rose said.

"She will leave a huge hole in the hearts of all who knew her."

AFL chief Andrew Demetriou also paid tribute, saying she was "a great friend to so many people across all levels of the football world".

Mrs Smorgon's husband of 39 years has taken leave of absence from the job, handing the reins to vice-president Ian Veal.

FrediKanoute
28-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Puts everything in perspective. Condolences to David Smorgon and the whole Smorgon family.

Go_Dogs
28-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Best wishes to the Smorgon family during this tough time.

bornadog
28-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Smorgons inlaws live across the road, however, haven't seen any one around the past couple of days but will pass on my condolences to all the family.

LostDoggy
31-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Condolences to the family. Great loss.