PDA

View Full Version : One Quarter Fade Outs

Eastdog
22-04-2018, 03:16 PM
This has occurred in 2 games this year in Round 2 at Etihad v Eagles and last night v Dockers at Optus Stadium.

The Eagles game it was the 2nd quarter after being close with them at qtr time and against the Dockers it was the 3rd quarter after being close at half time.

We really need to limit the amount of damage the opposition can do to us in a quick amount time as both the Eagles game and the Freo game we were in it to a certain degree.

What Bevo and co. said at half time went in one ear and out the other.

Also I'm aware we have a injury depleted side and some inexperienced guys in but last week we had that and fought hard and really should have won the game had it not be for a few errors we made.

I hope we can rectify this soon and come out firing for the whole game this Friday v Blues.

Twodogs
22-04-2018, 04:18 PM
In 2015/16 we could play badly for 3 quarters but we'd hang in games and not get blown away. We'd still be a chance because the opposition hadn't slammed on ten goals to nil while we were standing around contemplating our collective naval, we'd defend and fight and scrap hjust to lock the ball down and give us another shot to take possession. It was some of the most selfless and disciplined football I'd seen bulldogs teams play.

We just don't want to work for it or each other ATM.

Eastdog
22-04-2018, 05:09 PM
That's right Twodogs. Even a lot of our losses during that time we were right in the games and kept fighting right to the end. Last weeks game was very much like that. Yeah we need to get that back. Our workrate I feel was there in the first half but no where near it in the 3rd/premiership quarter. It wasn't like we were down by 40-45 points at half time.

LostDoggy
22-04-2018, 05:30 PM
Part of growing as a team is learning how to slow the game down and change it's direction when tyhe opposiition are on top. We are a team in transition with a very inexperienced core down back. The mainstays this year have been debutantes Naughton and Richards. As frustrating as it is, it's really not surprising. I don't think the teams desire or willingness to have a crack are an issue, they just need time to build a collective system, knowledge and level of confidence.

Eastdog
24-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Part of growing as a team is learning how to slow the game down and change it's direction when tyhe opposiition are on top. We are a team in transition with a very inexperienced core down back. The mainstays this year have been debutantes Naughton and Richards. As frustrating as it is, it's really not surprising. I don't think the teams desire or willingness to have a crack are an issue, they just need time to build a collective system, knowledge and level of confidence.

Also having lots of team changes each week doesn't create stability and that has an affect on performances, less likely for cohesion to occur - but changes happen because of those dreaded injuries which all of us as Dogs fans know all to well. Tom Boyd was a big plus on Saturday and he will be looking to continue that on Friday night. We need Tom mainly up forward to give us some much needed firepower. Morris when he returns will be huge in helping our young backline who are trying hard but struggling. Naughton as you mentioned PP has been good and did very well in the game against the Swans.

Go_Dogs
24-04-2018, 02:57 PM

I think you're right to an extent, but I'd like to see us better able to react quickly when teams/players build momentum. Whether that's putting another number behind the ball, having a slightly more defensive set up at the stoppage or putting more work into individual players.

Eastdog
24-04-2018, 03:00 PM
I think you're right to an extent, but I'd like to see us better able to react quickly when teams/players build momentum. Whether that's putting another number behind the ball, having a slightly more defensive set up at the stoppage or putting more work into individual players.

We failed to stop Fyfe on Saturday.

Eastdog
26-05-2018, 03:41 PM
A 2nd half fade out last night. I think it is because we are young but then there is other factors there as well.

Twodogs
26-05-2018, 04:05 PM
A 2nd half fade out last night. I think it is because we are young but then would other factors there as well.

But it wasn't the kids who were the major concern. Lippa, Richards they all put in until it hurt and then they went again.

It was the senior blokes standing watching opponents run past them or miss targets by 20 metres from 15 metres away (I'm looking at you Easton Wood) that is the real concern. I can understand kids tiring because they are kids but the senior players made some inexcusable efforts last night.

Eastdog
26-05-2018, 04:08 PM
But it wasn't the kids who were the major concern. Lippa, Richards they all put in until it hurt and then they went again.

It was the senior blokes standing watching opponents run past them or miss targets by 20 metres from 15 metres away (I'm looking at you Easton Wood) that is the real concern. I can understand kids tiring because they are kids but the senior players made some inexcusable efforts last night.

We need more from our captain that's for sure TD. Seriously out of form. Bont well down this year as well. He is critical to our side but not as effective as he has been before.

ledge
27-05-2018, 10:21 AM
I see it as we are going through the Macca years again , so similar we are lasting a half then fading away, the difference is we aren't disgruntled with the coach, we are young and it's taking its toll , it's a mirror image of the years leading up to making finals in 2015.
I expect Luke to keep shuffling players around and in and out of the side to get as many players up to AFL speed for the next few years push to the top.
The difference being we won't just be up for one year but hopefully become a Hawks era.

Bulldog4life
28-05-2018, 11:04 AM
We have lost 8 last quarters this year. Won 1.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-05-2018, 11:22 PM
We have lost 8 last quarters this year. Won 1.

This stat is not surprising. Apart from a settled and good centre line of Macrae Maclean and Hunter we have struggled in most other areas on the ground be it injuries to our more experienced players and a forward line that simply hasn’t measured up. The key midfield with our two ruckmen in Roughead and TBoyd still to hit form and a midfield that lacks class without the likes of Liberatore and Picken, has led to a frustrating year. On a positive note the recruitment of English Naughton Trengrove and Richards augers well for the future.