PDA

View Full Version : Aside from goal kicking, our defence is woeful

Dry Rot
28-04-2018, 06:09 PM
At the time of posting this thread, with Round 6 only partly played, the Dogs have the second worst defensive record, only 7 points shy of Carlton's.

Is it just the problem of injuries to Morris and Adams and playing kids down there, or is it something else like inadequate defence structures and patterns or lack of midfield and forwards pressure?

boydogs
28-04-2018, 06:18 PM
The games we have been belted in involved a lot of poor ball use and turnovers in dangerous parts of the ground that are hard to defend. When we get that right, as we did in the other 3 games, we haven't conceded high scores

Twodogs
28-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Basically, when we are bad we are terrible and we concede huge scores. At times it looks like a desire problemand there are a few heads hanging and hands on hips and other times they look like a bunch of kids running around like chooks with their heads cut off.

If there is one thing we miss especially with Morris out is an organiser. A player who sets up the zone and makes sure everyone is moving at the same time and standing in the right spot and that sort of thing. Who will give the midfielder who didn't chase and harass a reminder that's not good enough.

LostDoggy
28-04-2018, 06:38 PM
The lack of experience down back is a huge factor. The only 2 defenders to play every game this year both played their first ever game in R1. We conceded 2 huge scores first 2 rounds when Wood played forward (avg 127ponts). Since he went back, we have defended better (avg 84 points, about league average).

As Cordy, Naughton and Richards develop individual and group exprience we will improve. Morris and Adams back later in the year will be a great help.

westdog54
28-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Basically, when we are bad we are terrible and we concede huge scores. At times it looks like a desire problemand there are a few heads hanging and hands on hips and other times they look like a bunch of kids running around like chooks with their heads cut off.

If there is one thing we miss especially with Morris out is an organiser. A player who sets up the zone and makes sure everyone is moving at the same time and standing in the right spot and that sort of thing. Who will give the midfielder who didn't chase and harass a reminder that's not good enough.

This is the thing I'm most worried about with Morris on the verge of retirement and Adams' body being suspect I can't see a natural leader in the backline ready to stand up and assume this responsibility. Theoretically it ought to be Wood but is overall captaincy hampering this?

The bulldog tragician
28-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Easton Wood’s form has been indifferent this year. I think without the experience and guile of Boyd, Dale and Murphy around him he has struggled to work out the balance of his natural attacking mindset as a defender, and trying to hold together and cover for a really young group.

bornadog
28-04-2018, 11:20 PM
Easton Wood’s form has been indifferent this year. I think without the experience and guile of Boyd, Dale and Murphy around him he has struggled to work out the balance of his natural attacking mindset as a defender, and trying to hold together and cover for a really young group.

He needs to be freed up to do this. Playing him as a tall in the backline has never worked.

LostDoggy
29-04-2018, 08:30 AM
He needs to be freed up to do this. Playing him as a tall in the backline has never worked.

I'm not sure Wood's role has changed that much (other than the froward line experiment/debacle). Cordy and Naughton seem to be the 2 talls playing deeper and primarily responsible for the opposition tall targets, with Wood more guarding space, looking for an intercept and providing a third man up/chop out where possible.

He just seems down on form, maybe he isn't blending as well with the new defenders, maybe the pressures of permanent captaincy don't agree with him or maybe he's simply out of touch?

GVGjr
29-04-2018, 10:58 AM
At the time of posting this thread, with Round 6 only partly played, the Dogs have the second worst defensive record, only 7 points shy of Carlton's.

Is it just the problem of injuries to Morris and Adams and playing kids down there, or is it something else like inadequate defence structures and patterns or lack of midfield and forwards pressure?

I don't think our defense has been that bad and often it's more of a reflection on how well the midfield has performed
The first two games were blowouts because I think we picked poorly balanced sides and I'm not sure that is down to the back line players.

SonofScray
29-04-2018, 12:11 PM
If you don't put scoreboard pressure on, the opposition doesn't have to adjust their risk/reward proposition in attack. We haven't put any team under any major scoreboard pressure this year, they get to keep plugging away on their terms.

Turn overs tell a further 50% of the story and the rest is just down to young players getting beat when the ball coming in doesn't offer them some sort of opportunity to defend.

westbulldog
29-04-2018, 12:24 PM
Imo Naughton, Richards and Williams are doing well and will only get better. Morris would be a great general down back and Adams and an in-form Trengrove to chop out would be a plus. The crucial factor imo is that we are getting killed in centre clearances e.g Fyfe, Cripps.

Twodogs
29-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Imo Naughton, Richards and Williams are doing well and will only get better. Morris would be a great general down back and Adams and an in-form Trengrove to chop out would be a plus. The crucial factor imo is that we are getting killed in centre clearances e.g Fyfe, Cripps.

Yep exactly. The last couple of weeks especially. Fyfe torched us and Carlton would have lost by ten goals on Friday night if it weren't for Cripps. It's a good job that we had both the Bont and Macrae in good form. If they had another Cripps they probably would have won.

Bullies
29-04-2018, 07:43 PM
The defense is a massive problem. Ideally Richards and Naughton should be learning their craft in the 2's with Young. Because of the situation we are in we have had to fast track them. This can be beneficial to their long term development but can also do the opposite. Confidence can be shot if they get a few hidings. I would hate to see what Richmond/Adelaide and Collingwood would do to us with their unrelenting pressure. It was bad enough watching us on Friday with little pressure.

macca
29-04-2018, 08:08 PM
The defense is a massive problem. Ideally Richards and Naughton should be learning their craft in the 2's with Young. Because of the situation we are in we have had to fast track them. This can be beneficial to their long term development but can also do the opposite. Confidence can be shot if they get a few hidings. I would hate to see what Richmond/Adelaide and Collingwood would do to us with their unrelenting pressure. It was bad enough watching us on Friday with little pressure.

That’s a good point as I was thinking about player development and have following question

Q.1 when do you give a player a game ? I see Ess McGrath and he looks ineffective as a mid this year. Not sure he was gifted games, or spent enough time developing his craft. Is it based on our current list or needs basis ? As Roberts is not getting a game

Q2. How Long do you keep a player or allow to play x amount games to know they will make it ?When do you delist a player because of their limitation ?
Hawthorne are pretty quick the delist : hartung, Anderson (traded) , menegola, and and another ruckman they let go after he played in one premiership and he went To port I think can’t recall The name
Sydney seem sharper as well at cutting their list .

Q3 do we need to cut deeper ? Or have habit of keeping too many list cloggers?

Twodogs
29-04-2018, 09:14 PM
That’s a good point as I was thinking about player development and have following question

Q.1 when do you give a player a game ? I see Ess McGrath and he looks ineffective as a mid this year. Not sure he was gifted games, or spent enough time developing his craft. Is it based on our current list or needs basis ? As Roberts is not getting a game

Q2. How Long do you keep a player or allow to play x amount games to know they will make it ?When do you delist a player because of their limitation ?
Hawthorne are pretty quick the delist : hartung, Anderson (traded) , menegola, and and another ruckman they let go after he played in one premiership and he went To port I think can’t recall The name
Sydney seem sharper as well at cutting their list .

Q3 do we need to cut deeper ? Or have habit of keeping too many list cloggers?

I think it was Brett Renouf.

Bulldog Joe
30-04-2018, 02:54 AM
I am actually happy with how the defence is developing.

We have a really good defensive leader in Zaine Cordy who is really coming along well. There have been a few who seem to question him, but check out how well he compares to Alex Rance at the same age.

Then we have Bailey Williams who has looked very impressive this year and Naughton has been very good. We also have Lewis Young to slot back in, even if we don't get the output from Marcus Adams that we believe he can produce.

Only issue is the inexperience and that just gets covered by giving them experience.

bornadog
30-04-2018, 10:14 AM

We have a really good defensive leader in Zaine Cordy who is really coming along well. There have been a few who seem to question him, but check out how well he compares to Alex Rance at the same age.

Then we have Bailey Williams who has looked very impressive this year and Naughton has been very good. We also have Lewis Young to slot back in, even if we don't get the output from Marcus Adams that we believe he can produce.

Only issue is the inexperience and that just gets covered by giving them experience.

The first two games Cordy was all over the place, but he has now improved and has made very few errors.

Ozza
30-04-2018, 10:49 AM
Considering the drastic change in personnel on the backline - I think it is probably faring about how you'd expect.

Missing Morris and Adams is pretty significant. Although having said that, my understanding is that the club always anticipated Naughton and Richards would play senior footy from very early on - regardless of injuries.

Mofra
30-04-2018, 11:03 AM
We're bang on average (as Twodogs mentioned) from round 3 onwards, with Wood back there.
Richards has shown signs but might be due for a spell. Given how poor our midfield group has been in stages the defensive unit has been ok and mostly just need time to play together so they get more synergy into their game.

craigsahibee
30-04-2018, 11:06 AM

Yep. Agree totally with the reference to Zaine.

For a key defensive player with 40 games of experience, I don't worry when he's around the ball. For the majority of times if he doesn't get the ball or halve the contest, his opponent generally has to do something special to get his hands on it.

GVGjr
30-04-2018, 07:38 PM
With Wood being out for 2 or 3 weeks I wonder who comes in for him?

kruder
30-04-2018, 08:30 PM
With Wood being out for 2 or 3 weeks I wonder who comes in for him?

You either bring in a little experience with Roberts to play on the second tall and release Naughgton to play on a small/interceptor or Young comes in and plays that role.

I wouldn't mind seeing Young for the first time in 2018 I'm happy either way just keen to get the next few wins. I still think we can finish the year strong if we have some sort of luck in the second half of the season injury wise and really build into 2019.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-05-2018, 12:08 AM

Deciding to experiment with Wood on top of losing Morris and Adams proved to be a grave error. Williams Naughton and Richards have all done well. Cordy has stood up manfully in the midst of a dramatically changed defence. More is expected of JJ and I still believe Suckling would be better served at half forward given his somewhat erratic delivery into the forward line. Would also prefer to see Trengrove positioned at CHB to give some added experience to the backline. Young was recruited as a forward and could provide extra height as a key back or forward in an attempt to provide greater flexibility.

Eastdog
06-05-2018, 07:24 PM
It has been tough going down there but overall this year the have fought hard.