PDA

View Full Version : AFL Round 8, 2018

Eastdog
29-04-2018, 11:05 PM
ROUND 8, 2018

Friday May 11

Hawthorn v Sydney Swans, MCG (7.50pm)

Saturday May 12

GWS Giants v West Coast Eagles, Spotless Stadium (1.45pm)

Carlton v Essendon, MCG (2.10pm)

Gold Coast Suns v Melbourne, Gabba (4.35pm)

Port Adelaide v Adelaide, Adelaide Oval (5.10pm)

Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions, Etihad Stadium (7.25pm)

Fremantle v St Kilda, Perth Stadium (8.10pm)

Sunday May 13

North Melbourne v Richmond, Etihad Stadium (1.10pm)

Collingwood v Geelong, MCG (3.20pm)

Axe Man
11-05-2018, 02:49 PM
Jon Patton dropped by GWS. I'm looking forward to the media getting stuck right in Tom Boyd style. Might be waiting a while...

westdog54
11-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Jon Patton dropped by GWS. I'm looking forward to the media getting stuck right in Tom Boyd style. Might be waiting a while...

Its a hot topic on SEN at the very least: "He's on the outer", "other clubs will be circling", "far too good to be playing NEAFL", make of those sort of lines what you will.

westdog54
11-05-2018, 09:34 PM
Ben Ronke has 5 goals for Sydney in a quarter and a bit of footy. I hadn't heard of the kid 45 minutes ago.

Flamethrower
11-05-2018, 09:35 PM
Wonder if the General is still looking at property prices in West Footscray.

Big round for potential upsets - can make a case for 17 teams this week (sorry Saints, Freo will come out breathing fire).

LostDoggy
11-05-2018, 09:42 PM
Entertaining but strange game so far Syd v Haw. 3rd gamer Ben Ronke kicked 5 of 5 for Sydney, Gunston 4 of 5 for Hawthorn...

Twodogs
11-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Wonder if the General is still looking at property prices in West Footscray.

Big round for potential upsets - can make a case for 17 teams this week (sorry Saints, Freo will come out breathing fire).

He's insane if he is, property prices here are way overcooked.

Remi Moses
11-05-2018, 11:45 PM
What an arm wrestle . What a game from Ronk
Half arsed effort from Sicily allowing Rohan to mark that ball .

soupman
11-05-2018, 11:55 PM
What an arm wrestle . What a game from Ronk
Half arsed effort from Sicily allowing Rohan to mark that ball .

Classic Rohan mark though. He always gets those high ones where he sprints or wrestles to position and then launches himself in the air and almost takes it just above his groin. Amazing athlete, and really enjoyable player to watch, just not in big games.

jeemak
12-05-2018, 12:28 AM
So happy to see Sicily punce it out when required to go.

What a game from Ronke.

merantau
12-05-2018, 07:22 AM
Sicily has silver-bulleted himself to No 1 in my most disliked player list.

Go_Dogs
12-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Buddy who? It's all about the Ronke.

The Adelaide Connection
12-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Buddy who? It's all about the Ronke.

I like him even more because his name seems unfashionable and akward; sort of like a mixture of rank and gronk.

ratsmac
12-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Ronke! What a game. He's a cheeky bugger. You gotta love seeing young blokes take the game on with no fear of making a mistake. I can't remember the last time someone kicked 7 for the dogs.

westdog54
12-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Ronke! What a game. He's a cheeky bugger. You gotta love seeing young blokes take the game on with no fear of making a mistake. I can't remember the last time someone kicked 7 for the dogs.

I stand to be corrected but it would have been Johnno kicking 8 around 2007 or 2008. And Barry Hall kicked 7 in the NAB Cup Grand Final.

LostDoggy
12-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Heard a stat that the only 4 players to kick 5 first half goals for Sydney are Plugger, Hall, Franklin and now Ronke. That's a fair 3 names to be included with in game #3.

ledge
12-05-2018, 03:50 PM
Geez GWS are bad, they have fallen right away.

The bulldog tragician
12-05-2018, 04:02 PM
Carlton leading Essendon...this could be fun :)

Greystache
12-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Carlton leading Essendon...this could be fun :)

Genuine cripple fight.

Surprised Stringer has only had 6 touches and 0 goals, this is the sort of game you'd expect him to dominate.

westdog54
12-05-2018, 04:30 PM
In NEAFL news, a GC team that included 2MP and Kade Kol-etc held to 0.4.4 in their match against Brisbane.

There is embarrassing and then there's goalless in a NEAFL game

bulldogtragic
12-05-2018, 04:32 PM
In NEAFL news, a GC team that included 2MP and Kade Kol-etc held to 0.4.4 in their match against Brisbane.

Did they at least get a participation ribbon? Ouch.

Happy Days
12-05-2018, 04:35 PM

Wait...why is Wright playing 2s?

Kolo is finished but I don't see how Wright isn't best 22 for them.

bornadog
12-05-2018, 04:47 PM
Wait...why is Wright playing 2s?

Kolo is finished but I don't see how Wright isn't best 22 for them.

Wright coming back from injury

Sedat
12-05-2018, 04:49 PM

They've fallen apart since Spindle left.

bornadog
12-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Apparently Phil Davis knocked out in marking contest, I didn't know Cordy was playing up there :D

ledge
12-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Geez this game was the best chance for Stringer to explode but he has done zero , must be close to getting dropped.

Greystache
12-05-2018, 05:53 PM
I'm starting to question whether Essendon are still locks to be top 4. It's almost as if the non-stop pumping up of them all preseason was empty propaganda.

Stringer doing his best impression of Ryan Gryphen.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2018, 06:00 PM
I'm starting to question whether Essendon are still locks to be top 4. It's almost as if the non-stop pumping up of them all preseason was empty propaganda.

As long as they won trade week to Barrett & Plough and co. All is well.

Now watch the knives come for Worsfold because their A+ trade week has back fired. That ain't Johns fault.

Remi Moses
12-05-2018, 06:15 PM
Couldn’t believe the pre-season nonsense spruiked Recruiting . Not a midfielder recruited with any defensive side
Stringer one tackle ;)

Rocket Science
12-05-2018, 06:19 PM
Currently tripping through Italy but came here expressly for the Essendon schadenfreude.

Buonissima *kisses fingers like a chef*

bulldogtragic
12-05-2018, 06:32 PM
Couldn’t believe the pre-season nonsense spruiked Recruiting . Not a midfielder recruited with any defensive side
Stringer one tackle ;)

I'm sure it was a good tackle though.... The mid week review to the aEssendon younger players from the coaches will be easy... Now all of you just watch the game, watch Stringer and all of you do the exact opposite on and off the field.

whythelongface
12-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Jeepers the Bummers are pathetic. It is beautiful to watch them self implode. Must be time for the supporters to call for Worsfold’s head and bring in the next messiah. As for Jake...well at least he fits in with the mediocrity that is Essendon. They are the perfect fit.

Mofra
12-05-2018, 06:45 PM
Essendon.

I'm just so happy.

westdog54
12-05-2018, 06:49 PM
Essendon.

I'm just so happy.

When Lance Franklin kicked that goal of the year along the wing of the MCG all those years ago, Gerard Whateley summed it up with six words, "it was joyful. People enjoyed it "

I think those words ring true today

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 06:54 PM
When Lance Franklin kicked that goal of the year along the wing of the MCG all those years ago, Gerard Whateley summed it up with six words, "it was joyful. People enjoyed it "

I think those words ring true today

He could have used another six words. "He kicked it against *!*!*!*!ing Essendon."

GVGjr
12-05-2018, 06:55 PM

God you're a pessimist, its too early to make that call :)

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 06:55 PM
Currently tripping through Italy but came here expressly for the Essendon schadenfreude.

We pride ourselves here at WOOF on the quality of our schadenfrade. We only use tge finest ingredients and GVGjr insists on crushing it personally. You should see him in that vat stamping up and down smashing it between his toes.

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 06:59 PM

The GC team had 11 AFL listed players. I don't know how many of those players would be on a club's list that isn't Gold Coast though.

jeemak
12-05-2018, 06:59 PM
They can look forward to the National Trade Week Championships being held within six months, and given the AFL are looking at mid-year trading they could possibly win two championships a year.

Seriously, the joy is short lived, because for the coming week all we're going to hear about is bullshit around how EFC should be better, how they're talented, blah blah blah.

Why can't someone just come out and say they're a shit club that's poorly lead on and off the field, and poorly coached. How they saw fit to extend Worsefold's contract by two years six weeks ago is beyond me.

Those within the media reading, as you always do, just call them out for what they are. A perennially underachieving club that has a pathetic recent history spanning back to the time they stitched Matthew Knights up.

bornadog
12-05-2018, 07:01 PM
They can look forward to the National Trade Week Championships being held within six months, and given the AFL are looking at mid-year trading they could possibly win two championships a year.

Seriously, the joy is short lived, because for the coming week all we're going to hear about is bullshit around how EFC should be better, how they're talented, blah blah blah.

Why can't someone just come out and say they're a shit club that's poorly lead on and off the field, and poorly coached. How they saw fit to extend Worsefold's contract by two years six weeks ago is beyond me.

Those within the media reading, as you always do, just call them out for what they are. A perennially underachieving club that has a pathetic recent history spanning back to the time they stitched Matthew Knights up.

And I am loving it

ledge
12-05-2018, 07:15 PM
And Liam jones who I just potted on over rated players thread even destroyed the Essendon forward line including Stringer.
I actually think Stringer is worse than when he was with us in the end.
Only took them 5 games to realise he can't play in the middle he has no tank after spending the summer telling us how he would kill it in the middle after a great pre season, he actually looks like he has a huge arse when faking a chase.

GVGjr
12-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Essendon fans thought this season was the one where they put all the struggles of recent years behind them. They're not playing well and need a complete reversal of form before they migh start chalking up a few wins.

The Underdog
12-05-2018, 08:16 PM
Jeez, if it wasn’t our game on there’s no way I’d be switching over from the Showdown

The bulldog tragician
13-05-2018, 01:03 AM

It’s a shame you can’t tune into the livid Essendon talk back callers. Their anguish is a delight. Along with their frenzied disbelief that this can’t happen to them because WE ARE ESSENDON

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 01:30 AM
It’s a shame you can’t tune into the livid Essendon talk back callers. Their anguish is a delight. Along with their frenzied disbelief that this can’t happen to them because WE ARE ESSENDON

And their frenzied disbelief that Jake Stringer isn't the midfield beast they thought he would be when we managed to offload him off onto them is music to my ears.

macca
13-05-2018, 02:05 AM
And their frenzied disbelief that Jake Stringer isn't the midfield beast they thought he would be when we managed to offload him off onto them is music to my ears.

I am now very happy to say we got as much of best we could get out of stringer when he was playing for us, and when we traded for him, it was a reluctant trade.. but hey his now Essendon's problem... I meant opportunity to get the best out of him.

Hint... its harder to push a barge-arse-downhill-skier up a hill

And the media scrutiny is now turning on EFC...loving the circus unfold. heading to bottom 4 again....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/worsfold-challenges-sinking-bombers-to-take-a-stand-20180512-p4zewt.html

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 02:54 AM
I am now very happy to say we got as much of best we could get out of stringer when he was playing for us, and when we traded for him, it was a reluctant trade.. but hey his now Essendon's problem... I meant opportunity to get the best out of him.

And the media scrutiny is now turning on EFC...loving the circus unfold. heading to bottom 4 again....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/worsfold-challenges-sinking-bombers-to-take-a-stand-20180512-p4zewt.html

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for Jake Stringer to enter the Kingdom of the All-Australian team. Again.

ledge
13-05-2018, 07:07 AM

Love that article, where he says we have to show who we are and what we are . Well the truth is you just did !
Stringer getting dropped, if he does I'm not sure he will do anything in VFL either.
What was the contract he got with them in years and money ?

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Love that article, where he says we have to show who we are and what we are . Well the truth is you just did !
Stringer getting dropped, if he does I'm not sure he will do anything in VFL either.
What was the contract he got with them in years and money ?

It's not just the contract. There are rumours Essendon settled a lot of Jake's personal debts and it cost them almost as much as his salary. I'm not saying that's actually true. Just there are rumours that happened.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 09:43 AM
Get to the bombers forum!

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Get to the bombers forum!

I checked Bomberblitz. Have a look at what their trade page is called;

quote by deluded Eseendon supporters About the Stringer Things: Trade & Draft Board category

The Adelaide Connection
13-05-2018, 10:48 AM
We pride ourselves here at WOOF on the quality of our schadenfrade. We only use tge finest ingredients and GVGjr insists on crushing it personally. You should see him in that vat stamping up and down smashing it between his toes.

Wait till he visits the Bombers forum and finds out they are talking about Stringer rumours to do with (new) alleged off field behaviour issues. It is the sort of side dish best served to Essendon.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 11:05 AM
I checked Bomberblitz. Have a look at what their trade page is called;

Oh my, they will be changing that haha. Glad we didn’t call ours the ‘Crameri Trade Page’

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 11:15 AM
So Footscray play Essendon Reserves at VUWO in a couple of weeks. If Jakey's in the 2's by then, I'm tipping a larger and more entertaining crowd than usual. It'd almost be worth giving Zaine a one-off game with Footcray....

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Too many classics in the Stringer thread on bomber blitz, such as..

‘This guy must be a real idiot. Does zero defence/pressure acts and definitely looks out of shape. Would have thought getting traded would have given him a fright. Obviously hasn’t. Might as well get Kyle Reimers back.’

Apparently there are some new off field rumours too

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 11:22 AM

‘This guy must be a real idiot. Does zero defence/pressure acts and definitely looks out of shape. Would have thought getting traded would have given him a fright. Obviously hasn’t. Might as well get Kyle Reimers back.’

Strange that there are new off field rumours given Goddard was so confident that the rock solid Bombers culture and leadership was sure to turn Stringer around....

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Strange that there are new off field rumours given Goddard was so confident that the rock solid Bombers culture and leadership was sure to turn Stringer around....

Yeah, God knows how tgat went wrong with Goddard on point.

See what I did there?

ledge
13-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Can't understand how Brisbane haven't won a game, they seem to be on a good course, culture and players on an up.
They try hard every week defensive and forward pressure.
I think they will start to climb the ladder sooner than later , much like us.
I rate them.

westdog54
13-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Can't understand how Brisbane haven't won a game, they seem to be on a good course, culture and players on an up.
They try hard every week defensive and forward pressure.
I think they will start to climb the ladder sooner than later , much like us.
I rate them.

They are so far removed from what you would expect from a team on 0-8. They have a higher percentage than Carlton and StKilda and a marginally smaller one than GC, who have somehow won two Games.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 12:50 PM
They are so far removed from what you would expect from a team on 0-8. They have a higher percentage than Carlton and StKilda and a marginally smaller one than GC, who have somehow won two Games.

GCS have actually won 3 (!)

macca
13-05-2018, 03:02 PM

For those media imposters looking for a story, here are some headlines can be written on EFC:

1. Who has won trade week ? put some scrutiny on Dodoro. A constant theme here recruiting downhill skiers poor defensively.

suggested heading: " 8 weeks into the season- string-er trade unwinding"

2. The tale of 2 forwards: Gowers vs Stringer. The same old jake ? Write a story on the comparison of the 2. Gowers emergence as a forward. Its a GOOD story.
I was going to look at the stats but need to find sometime to do the breakdown and analysis for 2018 season.

3. Where has the leadership gone at EFC? If Goddard is the best they can do... then where are the young leaders come through the ranks. How can EFC get the best out of Stringer?

4. After 8 rounds, a third of the season gone, Essendon look like finishing with the wooden spoon. Beaten by Carlton,who had lost 7 in a row < insert how many long losing streak since last season> . Can the words "heading into crisis ... " be started to be used?

5. Drop a few players to find "confidence and form " translate .. teach them to run both ways, tackle, play to a game plan and be team players.

its ok, woofer forum do not need to take the credit. Footy is the winner overall.

6. Is it time to look at a new game plan and is worsfold the right coach to bring them out of their hubris?

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 03:51 PM

I treated myself to a little Bombers banter on BF. One highlight was one poster complaining abu how Stringer seems to look further out of shape each week, to which another replied 'it's not his fault, he doesn't realise how many calories there are in bath water'. Gold.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 04:01 PM
This Rich NM game is pretty entertaining. We love to give it to North and Brad Scott but, fair's fair, he has got them playing some good footy.

ledge
13-05-2018, 04:07 PM
I love Sportsbet , backed Richmond, they got 24 points up now I'm going for north to win :-)

Sedat
13-05-2018, 04:21 PM
Jacobs has done a brilliant job on Martin thus far

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 04:29 PM
I treated myself to a little Bombers banter on BF. One highlight was one poster complaining abu how Stringer seems to look further out of shape each week, to which another replied 'it's not his fault, he doesn't realise how many calories there are in bath water'. Gold.

Love it. The massive amount of tickets he has on himself must weigh a bit too.

ledge
13-05-2018, 04:50 PM
Martin has had a couple of quiet games now.
All goes well for Macrae.

Grantysghost
13-05-2018, 11:27 PM
Anyone else amazed the Tigers have played one team from last year's top 8 (Crows) in the first 8 rounds ? Not bad for reigning premiers.

westdog54
13-05-2018, 11:30 PM
GCS have actually won 3 (!)

Well oil beef hooked, they have as well.

This Rich NM game is pretty entertaining. We love to give it to North and Brad Scott but, fair's fair, he has got them playing some good footy.

I'll take a piece of humble pie from Brad Scott. Doing a superb job with North this year.

GVGjr
13-05-2018, 11:42 PM
Anyone else amazed the Tigers have played one team from last year's top 8 (Crows) in the first 8 rounds ? Not bad for reigning premiers.

Still it's a reasonable defense of their flag. How were we going 12 months ago?

bornadog
13-05-2018, 11:49 PM

5 wins 3 losses - 16 points, 2 points and 8 points. Beat Swans, and Tigers.

Big game next week, Tigers go to Perth to play WC

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 06:27 AM

We were 5 and 2 at one stage.

Richmond will fall apart. Nothing surer. A couple of injuries and not playing most of their games at tgeir home ground. Clubs don't change their DNA overnight. They didn't have the AFL take away all their strengths either. Let's compare apples with apples.

Richmond would have lost yesterday if the umpires weren't cheering them on.

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 07:20 AM

Richmomd will lose.

GVGjr
14-05-2018, 07:25 AM
We were 5 and 2 at one stage.

Richmond will fall apart. Nothing surer. A couple of injuries and not playing most of their games at tgeir home ground. Clubs don't change their DNA overnight. They didn't have the AFL take away all their strengths either. Let's compare apples with apples.

Richmond would have lost yesterday if the umpires weren't cheering them on.

They're playing good football though and I think we are struggling a bit 12 months ago despite the ladder position.

GVGjr
14-05-2018, 07:27 AM

From a footy sense, how were we playing? Convincing or struggling? I seem to recall we were using the excuse that it was because we started training a month later than many other clubs

Richmond are currently on top of the ladder, we were 8th. They have the Eagles next week for a top of the ladder clash. Should be a fair old gauge of where they really are at.

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 10:45 AM
They're playing good football though and I think we are struggling a bit 12 months ago despite the ladder position.

It's a marathon, not a sprint. Let's see where they are after they have to play away from the MCG and have a few injuries. Let's see how Martin puts up with constant attention.

Richmond cruised through the finals last year. Nobody challenged them and it's all very easy feasting on sacrifices. Let's see how they go when they are faced with a few challenges. They are still exactly the same Richmond they were a few years ago, they have just had a bit of luck.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 10:56 AM
It's a marathon, not a sprint. Let's see where they are after they have to play away from the MCG and have a few injuries. Let's see how Martin puts up with constant attention.

Richmond cruised through the finals last year. Nobody challenged them and it's all very easy feasting on sacrifices. Let's see how they go when they are faced with a few challenges. They are still exactly the same Richmond they were a few years ago, they have just had a bit of luck.

I just looked at their injury list. It has to be one of the smallest lists in the AFL - now that is lucky

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 12:39 PM
I just looked at their iury list. It has to be one of the smallest lists in the AFL - now that is lucky

They've played away from the MCG twice this year. A loss to Adelaide and they were very ordinary yesterday, with a bit of self belief and experience there were two or three times when North should have put tge foot down and run over the top of them.

Richmond are flat track bullies. They Bradburied their way through a series of soft kills on last year's finals series. When Cotchin missed last week I read that it was the first game they have won a game where one of their big 4 (Cothchin, Martin, Rance and Riewoldt) missed in something like 4 years. Those 4 players carry a big load. If they lose one they are trouble, two is a disaster for them.

They're a lot closer to the edge than their supporters understand. If absolutely everything goes exactly right for them they will probably not lose a game for the rest of the year. But if they have a bit of adversity and the other teams and the other teams improve incrementally things may get interesting in the Chinese way for them.

macca
15-05-2018, 02:43 AM
For those media imposters looking for a story, here are some headlines can be written on EFC:

1. Who has won trade week ? put some scrutiny on Dodoro. A constant theme here recruiting downhill skiers poor defensively.

suggested heading: " 8 weeks into the season- string-er trade unwinding"

2. The tale of 2 forwards: Gowers vs Stringer. The same old jake ? Write a story on the comparison of the 2. Gowers emergence as a forward. Its a GOOD story.
I was going to look at the stats but need to find sometime to do the breakdown and analysis for 2018 season.

3. Where has the leadership gone at EFC? If Goddard is the best they can do... then where are the young leaders come through the ranks. How can EFC get the best out of Stringer?

4. After 8 rounds, a third of the season gone, Essendon look like finishing with the wooden spoon. Beaten by Carlton,who had lost 7 in a row < insert how many long losing streak since last season> . Can the words "heading into crisis ... " be started to be used?

5. Drop a few players to find "confidence and form " translate .. teach them to run both ways, tackle, play to a game plan and be team players.

its ok, woofer forum do not need to take the credit. Footy is the winner overall.

6. Is it time to look at a new game plan and is worsfold the right coach to bring them out of their hubris?

Well some of the media have been sniffing around on this forum. 4 out of the 6 points raised has appeared in this article:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/four-points-beaten-in-the-middle-bombers-get-grounded-20180513-p4zf20.html

Chris Judd now writing an article on the adolescent footy teenage Stringer https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/stringer-theory-he-needs-to-grow-up-20180514-p4zf5i.html

EFC finding scape goats in Neld. I feel sorry for Neld, he seems to cop it in terms of players not listening to his coaching. Is there a common theme with him from melbourne, to EFC? https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/mark-neeld-quits-essendon-20180514-p4zf8s.html

Another article on the assistants coping it. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/worsfold-extension-puts-pressure-on-assistants-20180514-p4zfa0.html

Maybe Woosha doesn't know how to coach?

Can we have an article on Dud-doro under scrutiny please? boom to bust - essendon winning trade week