PDA

View Full Version : AFL Round 10, 2018

Eastdog
29-04-2018, 11:09 PM
ROUND 10, 2018

Friday May 25

Collingwood v Western Bulldogs, Etihad Stadium (7.50pm)

Saturday May 26

Richmond v St Kilda, MCG (1.45pm)

Brisbane Lions v Sydney Swans, Gabba (4.35pm)

Geelong v Carlton, GMHBA Stadium (7.25pm)

GWS Giants v Essendon, Spotless Stadium (7.25pm)

Sunday May 27

Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles, Etihad Stadium (1.10pm)

Melbourne v Adelaide, TIO Traeger Park — Alice Springs (3.20pm)

Fremantle v North Melbourne, Perth Stadium (4.40pm)

Byes: Gold Coast Suns, Port Adelaide

Eastdog
23-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Bump

Remi Moses
26-05-2018, 05:32 PM
How on earth did Geelong let Caddy go ?
Stkilda better , but Tigers get it done
Small to med forwards doing the job

westdog54
26-05-2018, 06:59 PM

I think this will explain it for you.

https://youtu.be/cueSVslcyhw

jeemak
26-05-2018, 09:02 PM

Apparently a lack of opportunity in the Geelong set up made him look elsewhere.

jeemak
26-05-2018, 09:17 PM
I don't want EFC to win but I really want GWS to lose.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b097417f-9a28-4369-af3a-6739f1d36167

Sedat
26-05-2018, 09:30 PM
I don't want EFC to win
I do. Every inconsequential win they have will lock in Woosha for the rest of his contract.

jeemak
26-05-2018, 09:40 PM
I do. Every inconsequential win they have will lock in Woosha for the rest of his contract.

I didn't say there weren't any silver linings.

Twodogs
26-05-2018, 10:03 PM
I don't want EFC to win but I really want GWS to lose.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b097417f-9a28-4369-af3a-6739f1d36167

That was a pretty shite state of affairs for poor old Tommy.

Id rather see Essendon win. It mucks GWS's season up (they have something to lose, Essendon don't.) and like Sedat says Essendon will overrate themselves massively.

There are also the press. After writing Essendon off for the last month and awarding them the wooden spoon a week ago now week later they will have them marked down for this year's premiership again. But I wouldn't be devestated if Essendon lost either.

jeemak
26-05-2018, 10:10 PM
That was a pretty shite state of affairs for poor old Tommy.

Id rather see Essendon win. It mucks GWS's season up (they have something to lose, Essendon don't.) and like Sedat says Essendon will overrate themselves massively.

There are also the press. After writing Essendon off for the last month and awarding them the wooden spoon a week ago now week later they will have them marked down for this year's premiership again. But I wouldn't be devestated if Essendon lost either.

It's in my top five films, what happens to Tommy is tragic.

EFC could hit the round twelve mark 5 and seven, and in with a chance to make it. That's when the whips get cracking, and is the perfect time for false hope to be in full swing.

Sedat
26-05-2018, 10:30 PM
What do the Cats stand for? Struggling badly to beat Carlton. Why get Ablett unless you are in the premiership frame?

Twodogs
26-05-2018, 11:18 PM
It's in my top five films, what happens to Tommy is tragic.

EFC could hit the round twelve mark 5 and seven, and in with a chance to make it. That's when the whips get cracking, and is the perfect time for false hope to be in full swing.

I have never been able to sit through it, the dead baby gets me each time and I have to switch it off. The first time I ever saw it I had a baby of my own and that scene just...

bornadog
27-05-2018, 12:02 AM
How weak are GWS.

LostDoggy
27-05-2018, 12:08 PM

I hate to be thinking like this so early in the season, but it also potentially pushes us a further spot up the draft pick ladder...

bulldogtragic
27-05-2018, 12:19 PM
How weak are GWS.

Yep. Time to target some of their best midfielders, and tell JMac he owes us for an unbalanced list and Crozier.

Remi Moses
27-05-2018, 12:38 PM
Living breathing proof that you need to make the most of your opportunities are the plastics
Reminds us of 08 9 and10 .
It’s never a given that opportunity will knock again

EasternWest
27-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Yep. Time to target some of their best midfielders, and tell JMac he owes us for an unbalanced list and Crozier.

Kelly recently extended his contract didn't he? Shame because he's rolled gold.

bulldogtragic
27-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Kelly recently extended his contract didn't he? Shame because he's rolled gold.

He did. But maybe we put pick 5 (super draft quality pick 5, not like a Tambling or Farren Ray pick 4) on the table and make him a good offer. Contracts don't seem to matter anymore, and GWS are on the way down now and not getting that premiership anytime soon. I'd have no problem with the club putting it out there to his manager and JMac. No one thought Tom Boyd would leave GWS under contract, in any way at all. If they say no, we still have a quality pick 5.

LostDoggy
27-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Melbourne's forwardline is looking very potent in a generally low scoring year. 140+ the last 2 weeks in a row and another 6 goals in the opening 20 minutes today.

westdog54
27-05-2018, 04:52 PM
As pathetic as we were on Friday, at least we're not 'Devon Smith faux-tough-guy' pathetic. Watching him hand out cheap shots would be laughable if it weren't so pitiful.

bornadog
27-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Adelaide looking lethargic. Is there something in that following the heavy rain and hard on the legs for both us and Adelaide?

chef
27-05-2018, 05:55 PM
Melbourne are going to destroy us next week.

Sedat
27-05-2018, 06:06 PM
Was thinking the same thing. Their midfield running power is so deep, they have an elite tap ruckman and their talls at either end aren't too shabby either.

Great opportunity for us to show some steel and resolve against a very good 2018 team. I hope the response is there.

LostDoggy
27-05-2018, 06:11 PM
They've kicked the highest score of any team again this week and it's not even 3QT. They're very impressive at present.

bornadog
27-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Was thinking the same thing. Their midfield running power is so deep, they have an elite tap ruckman and their talls at either end aren't too shabby either.

Great opportunity for us to show some steel and resolve against a very good 2018 team. I hope the response is there.

The 8 day break will help us, as we looked very tired in the second half

GVGjr
27-05-2018, 07:01 PM

I think a lot of people doubted Melbourne at the start of the year. They have a great balance of KPP and midfielders plus as you say an elite ruck man.

It's going to require a huge effort from us against a genuine contender for the flag.
The additional break we have over them and with them travelling plus it being at Etihad are some things working in our favour.

Rocket Science
27-05-2018, 07:40 PM
Not about to anoint Melbourne as flag faves but what a contrast between their fluid attack and our comedically tortuous one.

We're going to get one hell of a tune up next week. The sort of punishment we NEVER inflict but all too frequently invite.

Flamethrower
27-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Junk time Jake at it again in Western Sydney last night. Last 2 goals with the game done & dusted.

No surprises in Alice Springs - a lot of talk around the traps about how much the previous Friday night had taken out of both teams, with both us and the Crows looking very lethargic as both games progressed.

GVGjr
27-05-2018, 07:51 PM
I know there is a lot of the game to play out over in the West at the moment but I wonder why North has turned their fortunes around?
Many had them bottom 3 for this year

Sedat
27-05-2018, 09:19 PM
I think a lot of people doubted Melbourne at the start of the year. They have a great balance of KPP and midfielders plus as you say an elite ruck man.

It's going to require a huge effort from us against a genuine contender for the flag.
The additional break we have over them and with them travelling plus it being at Etihad are some things working in our favour.
They are a bonafide top 4 team - we will have to bring our absolute best from this season just to be competitive, irrespective of the extra 2 days break. If we aren't switched on, it will be a 12+ goal loss.

Twodogs
27-05-2018, 09:36 PM

I'd usually argue but you're right, it's going to be *!*!*!*!ing ugly.

bornadog
27-05-2018, 11:24 PM
I know there is a lot of the game to play out over in the West at the moment but I wonder why North has turned their fortunes around?
Many had them bottom 3 for this year

North have surprised everyone, and looking like they can make the 8

GVGjr
27-05-2018, 11:25 PM
North have surprised everyone, and looking like they can make the 8

So why have they bounced into contention?

Twodogs
27-05-2018, 11:40 PM

At training they work on their skills and it shows.

I don't know when as a sport we decided that shuttle running and standing in certain parts of the ground watching the opposition kick the ball to one another was more important than kicking, marking and handballing but North are proving that we have had a tendency to overthink the game. It seems the more professional we think our players are the further they are getting away from playing actual footy.

Sedat
27-05-2018, 11:43 PM
They lost 6 games by less than 10 points last year, so their drop into the lower rungs was overstated. And this season they have one of the smallest injury lists. They have their best players in top form too, which is important.

They are almost morals for the top 8 with their cushy draw over the next few weeks. I'd almost draw the line at the current top 9 for finals. Hawks are 10th and have been very unimpressive the last few weeks. Forget the rest.

Twodogs
27-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Don't forget that a couple of years ago that North won their first 11 games straight and mucked that up majorly. While they do look a lot more solid and the work is distributed a lot more evenly I wouldn't be setting them a finals spot just yet.

Like Sedat says they don't have many injuries.

Ozza
28-05-2018, 10:08 AM
They lost 6 games by less than 10 points last year, so their drop into the lower rungs was overstated. And this season they have one of the smallest injury lists. They have their best players in top form too, which is important.

They are almost morals for the top 8 with their cushy draw over the next few weeks. I'd almost draw the line at the current top 9 for finals. Hawks are 10th and have been very unimpressive the last few weeks. Forget the rest.

Hawks have the two Adelaide sides the next two weeks. Both Hawks home games - but lose those two - and they are out of contention I think.

LostDoggy
28-05-2018, 02:20 PM

Given they had a lot of close games and injuries last year and had made finals the 3 previous years, including 2 Prelims, the question should be more about why they were written off so quickly?

Twodogs
28-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Given they had a lot of close games and injuries last year and had made finals the 3 previous years, including 2 Prelims, the question should be more about why they were written off so quickly?

Because they failed to get past the prelim twice in a row. Not too many sides that check out in consecutive prelim finals go on to acheive a premiership.

LostDoggy
28-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Because they failed to get past the prelim twice in a row. Not too many sides that check out in consecutive prelim finals go on to acheive a premiership.

We're not talking about winning premierships though, just saying it shouldn't be a major surprise that they are still finals competitive a couple of years later with a fairly similar list.

bornadog
28-05-2018, 03:41 PM
We're not talking about winning premierships though, just saying it shouldn't be a major surprise that they are still finals competitive a couple of years later with a fairly similar list.

They lost a lot of experience a couple of seasons ago, so people thought they may struggle (me included), however, they are still fielding a side with an average game experience of over 100, in fact 7 players have played more than 150 games.

Twodogs
28-05-2018, 03:49 PM

That's true.

The fact that I just don't care for them as people is the source of my antipathy. I don't mind mind admitting it. I've got no time for them at all.

LostDoggy
28-05-2018, 03:51 PM
That's true.

The fact that I just don't care for them as people is the source of my antipathy. I don't mind mind admitting it. I've got no time for them at all.

Can't disagree....

Ozza
28-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Seems simplistic - but North have implemented a playing style that matches the strengths of their core playing list.

They've moved away from a 'sameness' in their midfield - where they had Cunnington and Ziebell as their primary mids - and now have Ziebell forward. Have added some pace. And Brown and Waite both in great form and staying on the park - and they actually move the ball quickly to their targets (who know how to play forward, and how to work together).

Greystache
28-05-2018, 06:10 PM

Well the lost 11 of their last 14 games in 2016 and won 6 games in 2017 and finished bottom 4. So they'd won 9 out of their previous 36 games and were coming off a bottom 4 finish coming into this season.

Daughter of the West
29-05-2018, 04:52 PM
Adelaide looking lethargic. Is there something in that following the heavy rain and hard on the legs for both us and Adelaide?

I was in Alice Springs last weekend, and Adelaide only rolled in lunch time Saturday. Melbourne were already there Friday afternoon (we saw some of the players strolling around getting coffee Saturday morning). I was a little surprised both teams weren't there at the same time to be honest.

Twodogs
29-05-2018, 05:12 PM
I was in Alice Springs last weekend, and Adelaide only rolled in lunch time Saturday. Melbourne we're already there Friday afternoon (we saw some of the players strolling around getting coffee Saturday morning). I was a little surprised both teams weren't there at the same time to be honest.

Because the team is Melbourne and a We're instead of a Were that snuck in to your post had me thinking that you missed seeing Friday night's game because you were travelling and that's what you were celebrating. ;)

I worked it out in the end though!

Daughter of the West
30-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Because the team is Melbourne and a We're instead of a Were that snuck in to your post had me thinking that you missed seeing Friday night's game because you were travelling and that's what you were celebrating. ;)

I worked it out in the end though!

Dammit - grammar failed me!

That's what happens on your first day back at work