PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to Ballarat?

Eastdog
01-05-2018, 06:40 PM
I'll be watching Saturday's game from home having a beer or two and will be going to our next Etihad home game in Round 8

Are there any woofers going for our 2nd ever game there for premiership points. Will big for the Ballarat woofers this weekend.

Twodogs
01-05-2018, 06:56 PM
Went last year so I think I might watch this one at home.

GVGjr
01-05-2018, 08:06 PM
I'm in for both games at Ballarat.

Smads57
01-05-2018, 08:36 PM
I'm going - will have to forfeit watching the VFL team that evening as a result

Eastdog
01-05-2018, 08:43 PM
http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/fanzone/competitions/win-the-chance-to-ride-in-bobs-fan-van

One lucky fan will get a ride from Bob.

SonofScray
01-05-2018, 09:07 PM
I will be there for both.

Twodogs
01-05-2018, 10:02 PM
I'm in for both games at Ballarat.

The warm one and the cold one.

Sedat
01-05-2018, 10:06 PM
Does the ground have lighting? AFEL in their moronic wisdom have scheduled the Port game later this year at 3.20pm Sunday.

Eastdog
01-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Does the ground have lighting? AFEL in their moronic wisdom have scheduled the Port game later this year at 3.20pm Sunday.

I think it does but not sure.

Whitten Oval definitely has now. Saw the WO lights in action last year at one of the VFL games.

bornadog
01-05-2018, 10:50 PM
I will be there.

merantau
01-05-2018, 11:03 PM
I'm going. Anyone know how many showed up last year and how crowded it was?

bornadog
01-05-2018, 11:14 PM
I'm going. Anyone know how many showed up last year and how crowded it was?

I went last year, it was virtually a full house.

Make sure you get a ticket before you go.

I got this email from membership when I enquired:

Thank you for your email.
As the capacity at Mars stadium is smaller, you will need to purchase a ticket through Ticketmaster for the game this weekend.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Twodogs
01-05-2018, 11:52 PM
I went last year, it was virtually a full house.

Make sure you get a ticket before you go.

I got this email from membership when I enquired:

It was still pretty comfortable though even with the full house. But I'd definitely book seats. But I stood in the standing section for a while and it wasn't to shabby. Good line of sight to the action on the ground.

Not as good as Adelaide Oval. It's the only AFL ground I've ever stood behind the goals at but been able to clearly see what's going on in the goal square at the other end of the ground. They have got the elevation (as well as virtually everything else) just right.

bornadog
02-05-2018, 10:04 AM
It was still pretty comfortable though even with the full house. But I'd definitely book seats. But I stood in the standing section for a while and it wasn't to shabby. Good line of sight to the action on the ground.

Not as good as Adelaide Oval. It's the only AFL ground I've ever stood behind the goals at but been able to clearly see what's going on in the goal square at the other end of the ground. They have got the elevation (as well as virtually everything else) just right.

What I gathered was you have to book a ticket sitting or standing.

Twodogs
02-05-2018, 10:09 AM
What I gathered was you have to book a ticket sitting or standing.

Correct.

1eyedog
02-05-2018, 10:13 AM

Adelaide Oval is awesome to watch sport from. I'm going to Ballarat, standing. Looking forward to a bit of old skool footy. Maybe it will even rain. I remember going to see Nelson's HMS Victory in Portsmith many years ago and it was blowing a gale and raining sideways and I thought what better way to see an old warship than being completely exposed to the elements. It's what I miss most about Western Oval.

Axe Man
02-05-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm heading up with my old man and staying the night up there. Booked tickets ages ago but I have seen discounted tickets on sale recently so I assume it's not close to selling out yet.

bornadog
02-05-2018, 11:00 AM
I'm heading up with my old man and staying the night up there. Booked tickets ages ago but I have seen discounted tickets on sale recently so I assume it's not close to selling out yet.

Last year I made a weekend of it staying the night and going out to a nice restaurant. This year, I am doing a daytrip. It's actually not that far unless you are coming from Gippsland. :)

Axe Man
02-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Last year I made a weekend of it staying the night and going out to a nice restaurant. This year, I am doing a daytrip. It's actually not that far unless you are coming from Gippsland. :)

Yeah it's 2.5 hours from here and 3 hours for my Dad so staying is the better option.

G-Mo77
02-05-2018, 03:22 PM
I'm going to The Killers the night before so will be watching this one from home.

Twodogs
02-05-2018, 07:08 PM
I'm going to The Killers the night before so will be watching this one from home.

Nice

Eastdog
02-05-2018, 07:08 PM
The 2nd game this year in Ballarat maybe possible chance on snow like with last years match. Gets very chilly up there in the winter.

AndrewP6
02-05-2018, 08:18 PM
Yeah it's 2.5 hours from here and 3 hours for my Dad so staying is the better option.

About a 2 hour drive for me. I’ll be watching from home.

Eastdog
02-05-2018, 08:22 PM
For us that don't go at least there will be 2 replacement games for the 2 Ballarat games where we can use our membership still.

dadsgirl16
02-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Yep I am heading there by train...seniors freebie! (The train not the match)

merantau
02-05-2018, 09:52 PM
I just bought 2 standing room tickets. So do members get a game in lieu (spl?) because we had to purchase a ticket for this one?

Twodogs
02-05-2018, 09:54 PM
I just bought 2 standing room tickets. So do members get a game in lieu (spl?) because we had to purchase a ticket for this one?

We do.

BulldogBelle
03-05-2018, 01:16 AM
We drove to Ballarat last year and parked up the road in a recommended spot (near their tennis courts) and caught the free shuttle bus to the ground. We went early and secured seat on the boundary. Better this way as my partner is handicapped.

Then the security told us to get out and wait until they opened. We got back in with our member's ticket. When they opened some little girl ran like the Billy-o and pinched my seat. Her parents however saw what was going on and recalled her. So I got the seats. There was a gap between banks of seats on the boundary. Weren't we lucky to have Lorraine standing next to us for the whole game.

This year we will buy seats.

I was thinking of catching the early train to Ballarat from Rockbank station rather than go all the way into Footscray or Southern Cross. I just wonder if there will be available parking at Rockbank Station and that the train will stop there like the schedule says it does and whether or not we will get a seat on the train. Can't have my disabled partner standing up all of that time.

Mantis
03-05-2018, 02:09 PM
I was thinking of catching the early train to Ballarat from Rockbank station rather than go all the way into Footscray or Southern Cross. I just wonder if there will be available parking at Rockbank Station and that the train will stop there like the schedule says it does and whether or not we will get a seat on the train. Can't have my disabled partner standing up all of that time.

There is no official car park at Rockbank, but you can generally find a spot to park along the train line... The terrain is pretty rough, especially if we get some rain as predicted.

With the new estates popping up all over the place over that way it desperately needs an upgrade.

hujsh
03-05-2018, 02:27 PM
We drove to Ballarat last year and parked up the road in a recommended spot (near their tennis courts) and caught the free shuttle bus to the ground. We went early and secured seat on the boundary. Better this way as my partner is handicapped.

Then the security told us to get out and wait until they opened. We got back in with our member's ticket. When they opened some little girl ran like the Billy-o and pinched my seat. Her parents however saw what was going on and recalled her. So I got the seats. There was a gap between banks of seats on the boundary. Weren't we lucky to have Lorraine standing next to us for the whole game.

This year we will buy seats.

There is no official car park at Rockbank, but you can generally find a spot to park along the train line... The terrain is pretty rough, especially if we get some rain as predicted.

With the new estates popping up all over the place over that way it desperately needs an upgrade.

Also look out for what platform it's coming from. It's not consistent that one side goes to Ballarat and the other to the City.

If the schedule says it'll stop at Rockback then it will. I've never seen a train skip Rockbank that wasn't meant to.

Personally I doubt getting a seat will be an issue unless it's particularly busy for the footy (no idea how many travel up for it). I'm sure you can find one able bodies person to kick out of the disabled/pregnant/elderly seats though.

josie
03-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Hi Twodogs (and others who are into banners) I am in row A with cheersquad. Keep an eye out for my Chinese inspired “year of dog” banner. My son did design and I must say it does look rather good!!

Hope the dogs break the curse of not winning at mars.

Twodogs
03-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Also look out for what platform it's coming from. It's not consistent that one side goes to Ballarat and the other to the City.

If the schedule says it'll stop at Rockback then it will. I've never seen a train skip Rockbank that wasn't meant to.

Personally I doubt getting a seat will be an issue unless it's particularly busy for the footy (no idea how many travel up for it). I'm sure you can find one able bodies person to kick out of the disabled/pregnant/elderly seats though.

People shouldn't have to but it's becoming more of an issue. And with everyone wearing headphones you have to wave your arms around just to get their attention.

Eastdog
03-05-2018, 03:40 PM
People shouldn't have to but it's becoming more of an issue. And with everyone wearing headphones you have to wave your arms around just to get their attention.

It's just common courtesy. I'm always happy to stand up in both the train and the tram if I'm required as should everyone else who doesn't have a disability, in the case of women who isn't pregnant or if you are not elderly.

LostDoggy
03-05-2018, 09:16 PM
The conductor on the vline trains helps with disabled people getting seated usually. Am going up to Bacchus Marsh from Werribee to catch the train to the match. Parking is available there and it's quicker than going to Footscray and catching the train.

westdog54
04-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Rockbank is a cluster*!*!*!*! of a railway station.

Unpaved carpark, badly designed crossings, little to no shelter and is actually too short for a full length V/locity train. The conductors actually broadcast a warning to passengers to ensure that a platform is available to them when leaving the train.

Plus as Hjush rightly said, there is not a city bound and a Ballarat bound platform, it could be either-or.

When the line to Melton eventually gets duplicated (should have happened 5 years ago) they should just rebuild the bloody thing.

Eastdog
04-05-2018, 01:26 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbank_railway_station

Platforms and Services

Rockbank has two side platforms. It is serviced by V/Line Ballarat line services.[5] Platform 1 is located on the main line, with all stopping services scheduled to use this platform. Platform 2 is located on a crossing loop, permitting trains up to 750 metres long to cross.[6] The former short platform is located at the Down end of the station, located on the crossing loop.

Platform 1:
Ballarat line: V/Line services to Bacchus Marsh, Ballarat & Southern Cross

Platform 2:
No scheduled passenger services.

Eastdog
04-05-2018, 03:14 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-04-30/match-info-dogs-v-suns

AFL Round 7 - Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast Suns
Saturday 5 May, Mars Stadium
Gates open: 12:00pm
First Bounce: 1:45pm

Mars Stadium will be buzzing with activity on Saturday for the Western Bulldogs’ round 7 clash with Gold Coast.

Chill out in the Bulldogs’ fan zone, keep the kids entertained with football drills and arts and crafts in the Kids Zone or kick back in the Carlton United Brewery Bar and enjoy a beer.

And as always, there’ll be Food Trucks as far as the eye can see!

Broadcast

Televised live on Fox Footy from 1:30pm

Tickets

Tickets are from just $25.00. Click here for more information.

Membership Enquiries and Sales

For members that reside in the Ballarat region* the best way to secure a Reserved Seat at Mars Stadium is through a Ballarat membership. Full details regarding purchasing a Ballarat Membership can be found here.

Our friendly membership staff will be located in the Membership Club Hub located at Gate 3.

Merchandise Enquiries and Sales

Stock up on the latest Western Bulldogs merchandise and visit our team located at Gate 1, 2 and 3.

Fan Zone

Located in the showgrounds area there will be plenty to look out for, including:

Petting Zoo
Bulldogs Chill out Area
Real Strength Bulldogs Van with lots of giveaways, a photo booth and giant games
Kids Zone

There will be plenty of cool activities in the kids zone, including:

Arts and Crafts Station
Face painting
Balloon artists
Football Drills
Football Kicking Zone

Located at the end of the Fan Zone will be a dedicated Football Kicking Zone where you can go and practice your skills with your friends and family. Just be aware of flying footballs around you!

Food and Beverages

Some of the offerings include:

Gobbles Grill
Specialty Pie Van
Coffee Van
Donut Van
There will also be a Carlton United Brewery Bar that you can sit-down in and enjoy a beer with your friends pre-game or at half-time.

Food trucks will be located around the ground at various locations:

Behind the Western Stand
Next to the old scoreboard
Behind the interchange benches
Behind the Eastern Stand
Bars will be located:

Behind the Eastern Stand
In the Fan Zone
Behind the Western Stand
Next to the Old Scoreboard
Getting there

Free shuttle bus services

The popular shuttle bus services will again operate from the Ballarat Train Station from 11.30am, running on a continuous loop to and from Mars Stadium up until the first bounce. For more details click here.

Parking

Parking and traffic conditions, including 40km/h zones around the stadium precinct, will take place on Saturday 5 May for the safety of footy fans and motorists.

Drivers are urged to utilise the hundreds of parking spaces available at C.E Brown Reserve and surrounding ovals. These parking spaces can be accessed from Dowling Street.

Patrons will have access to gates 1, 2 and 3 via a short walk. For more details click here.

Patron drop off & pick up zones

While Creswick Road will remain open to traffic, patrons will not have access to parking along this stretch of road between Howitt and Norman Streets on game day.

This area will be set aside to accommodate buses, taxis and the patron drop-off and pick-up zones. For more details click here.

Safe road infrastructure

If you are traveling to and from the game along the Western Freeway, Midland Highway or Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road, you may come across an in-progress road infrastructure improvement project.

These three roads are benefitting from safety upgrades as part of the Victorian Government’s $1.1-billion Towards Zero action plan to save lives and reduce serious injuries on the state’s roads.

The Western Freeway – from the Western Ring Road to Ballarat
This project covers about 100 kilometres of freeway and will largely involve the installation of flexible roadside safety barriers.

The Midland Hwy, between Ballarat and Creswick
About 20 kilometres of road are covered in this project, which will involve the installation of roadside and centre-line safety barriers, in addition to three new roundabouts.

The Geelong-Bacchus Marsh Road.
Roadside and centre-line barriers will be installed on 40 kilometres of road. Works will also include the construction of two roundabouts

Safe footy road trip

We want everyone driving to and from the footy in Ballarat this weekend, to get there and home safely. There are several ways to ensure you have a safe footy road trip.

A safe road trip starts with a good sleep the night before. So if you are driving on Saturday, make sure you are well rested before hitting the road.
If you’re feeling tired, stop for a break to stretch your legs and change drivers if possible.
Eliminate distractions – stay off your phone while driving.
Allow plenty of time so you aren’t rushing to get there.
Drive to the conditions, because they can change quickly in the country.
Take your time and stick within the speed limits.
Drinking and driving – they’re better apart

If you plan on drinking at the game, you should also have a designated driver or a plan to get home safely that doesn’t involve driving.
If you plan on driving to the game, don’t drink heavily the night before.
If you plan on driving home from the game, don’t plan to drink during.
The evidence is clear, impairment starts at low levels and even just one drink impairs a person's ability to drive safely so the best thing people can do is to completely separate drinking from driving.
Remember, if you are caught drink driving you will automatically lose your licence. Even at low levels.

Exclusive to westernbulldogs.com.au

hujsh
04-05-2018, 03:23 PM
Rockbank is a cluster*!*!*!*! of a railway station.

Unpaved carpark, badly designed crossings, little to no shelter and is actually too short for a full length V/locity train. The conductors actually broadcast a warning to passengers to ensure that a platform is available to them when leaving the train.

Plus as Hjush rightly said, there is not a city bound and a Ballarat bound platform, it could be either-or.

When the line to Melton eventually gets duplicated (should have happened 5 years ago) they should just rebuild the bloody thing.

Oh and the road in for the main entrance/platform is full of holes

Eastdog
04-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Oh and the road in for the main entrance/platform is full of holes

The whole Melton shire is rapidly growing. A new suburb Mount Atkinson is going to spring up there and the Woodlea estate which is pretty much developed. Certainly need better infrastructure for those living in the outer suburban corridors.

Twodogs
04-05-2018, 04:07 PM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockbank_railway_station

Platforms and Services

Rockbank has two side platforms. It is serviced by V/Line Ballarat line services.[5] Platform 1 is located on the main line, with all stopping services scheduled to use this platform. Platform 2 is located on a crossing loop, permitting trains up to 750 metres long to cross.[6] The former short platform is located at the Down end of the station, located on the crossing loop.

Platform 1:
Ballarat line: V/Line services to Bacchus Marsh, Ballarat & Southern Cross

Platform 2:
No scheduled passenger services.

Well that's cetainly concentrated it in my mind. That clears it up no end.

HOSE B ROMERO
04-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Got 2 standing room tickets.
Apparently one of the main suggested parking areas, C E Brown reserve, has only got half their parking available.
Weather: yes, there will be some. Partly cloudy, 20-30kmh westerly, 17deg.

bornadog
04-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Got 2 standing room tickets.
Apparently one of the main suggested parking areas, C E Brown reserve, has only got half their parking available.
Weather: yes, there will be some. Partly cloudy, 20-30kmh westerly, 17deg.

I was planning on parking there. Maybe I will go to the golf club.

Eastdog
05-05-2018, 05:29 PM
I'm a happy Bulldog tonight and plenty of happy Dogs in Ballarat and making the trip back down the highway.

Go Dogs!

bornadog
05-05-2018, 09:25 PM
I'm a happy Bulldog tonight and plenty of happy Dogs in Ballarat and making the trip back down the highway.

Go Dogs!

Next time make the trip, you will enjoy it live.

The bulldog tragician
05-05-2018, 11:18 PM
It’s quite fun. I liked hearing the players call out to each other. There was one kick (Hunter?) where you could immediately hear from the sound that he has not struck it sweetly. But gee the scoreboard operators needed to lift their game. They took forever to register goals which considering it was close all day made things even tenser.

bornadog
05-05-2018, 11:46 PM
It’s quite fun. I liked hearing the players call out to each other. There was one kick (Hunter?) where you could immediately hear from the sound that he has not struck it sweetly. But gee the scoreboard operators needed to lift their game. They took forever to register goals which considering it was close all day made things even tenser.

Sometimes they added points instead of goals, or just plain forgot. It was very frustrating.

Eastdog
06-05-2018, 12:47 AM
Next time make the trip, you will enjoy it live.

Yep plenty of other opportunities to go there. If we only got 6K today it could be bit less in deep winter there at 3:20pm on Sunday later in the year in Round 19. All depends I reckon how well we are doing in the crowd for the next game there.

G-Mo77
06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Attendance

10087 in 2017
6883 in 2018

I've spoken quite a few times that I'm not a fan of selling home games. You're robbing your members doing it. Surely they can't be happy with the figures yesterday.

ratsmac
06-05-2018, 09:31 AM
I went yesterday and we stayed with my sister in Buninyong. For those who didn't and haven't yet been, I highly recommend you go next time. The atmosphere was great. It felt like the players were so close. You could hear the calls from the players and the slap when the bumped each other. It reminded me of watching games in the good old days at the suburban grounds.

GVGjr
06-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Attendance

10087 in 2017
6883 in 2018

I've spoken quite a few times that I'm not a fan of selling home games. You're robbing your members doing it. Surely they can't be happy with the figures yesterday.

The counter argument is that is more a long term partnership that will need time to grow. Selling home games is a typically short term financial arrangement but this does appear to be something we are very committed to.

For those who are time poor or with young families I think it's going to be difficult for them to be regular attenders and yesterdays numbers were very disappointing. It's not a trend we want to see but I wonder if our poor form this season has been a contributing factor.

LostDoggy
06-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Playing Port Adelaide last year would've bought a few over also. The Adelaide teams seem the logical opposition for that venue.

LostDoggy
06-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Also, the Sat arvo timeslot is not ideal because all the local league matches are on so a huge section of the local AFL loving community are otherwise committed.

Sedat
06-05-2018, 11:01 AM
By fully ticketing this game it cost us an extra 2-3k. You need to have the flexibility to allow members to rock up without having to purchase a ticket or reserved seat before-hand.

G-Mo77
06-05-2018, 11:09 AM
The counter argument is that is more a long term partnership that will need time to grow. Selling home games is a typically short term financial arrangement but this does appear to be something we are very committed to.

For those who are time poor or with young families I think it's going to be difficult for them to be regular attenders and yesterdays numbers were very disappointing. It's not a trend we want to see but I wonder if our poor form this season has been a contributing factor.

Maybe a long term loss, I'll be redoing my membership next season due to the 2 games I miss out on because of Ballarat, I should have done it this year but I'm too lazy. I pay for a reserved seat for all home games and GA for away. Why am I doing this? Shouldn't I get a discount for the 2 games I can't sit in my seat that I purchased? I'm a lifer but there are lots who are not and these are the ones who the club will lose. I hope Ballarat are putting in enough to cover this.

bornadog
06-05-2018, 05:45 PM
By fully ticketing this game it cost us an extra 2-3k. You need to have the flexibility to allow members to rock up without having to purchase a ticket or reserved seat before-hand.

Totally agree with this, the ticketing is the biggest issue. By all means sell reserved seating, but GA should be available to all members.

Once they get lighting up in stage 2, I think lots more from Ballarat will attend a night match. Also, this is not just selling home games, this is now our second home as we try and represent the West of Melbourne right through to Ballarat and beyond. Ballarat is the same size as Launceston.

Eastdog
06-05-2018, 05:58 PM
Also, the Sat arvo timeslot is not ideal because all the local league matches are on so a huge section of the local AFL loving community are otherwise committed.

Personally I like the Saturday afternoon timeslots but yes local footy is big on Saturday so that's keep a fair chunk away.

Eastdog
06-05-2018, 07:15 PM
My mate went up to Ballarat yesterday and said once again it was a good experience helped by winning.

ratsmac
06-05-2018, 07:56 PM
My mate went up to Ballarat yesterday and said once again it was a good experience helped by winning.

Winning is always fun

G-Mo77
06-05-2018, 08:29 PM
Totally agree with this, the ticketing is the biggest issue. By all means sell reserved seating, but GA should be available to all members.

Once they get lighting up in stage 2, I think lots more from Ballarat will attend a night match. Also, this is not just selling home games, this is now our second home as we try and represent the West of Melbourne right through to Ballarat and beyond. Ballarat is the same size as Launceston.

So why won't my membership get me in there?

bornadog
06-05-2018, 10:02 PM
So why won't my membership get me in there?

I think the club thought with a capacity of 11,000 and membership of 47,000, plus Ballarat people, they had to ration tickets by making it a ticketed game. This has back fired and needs a re-think

Eastdog
07-05-2018, 12:40 AM
I think the club thought with a capacity of 11,000 and membership of 47,000, plus Ballarat people, they had to ration tickets by making it a ticketed game. This has back fired and needs a re-think

They recently announced more development of Mars Stadium is the VIC budget on footy stadium upgrades that included the G, Etihad and Whitten Oval. Increased capacity will be highly beneficial for our member and supporters wanting to go.

GVGjr
07-05-2018, 02:34 AM

It was the same last year though wasn't it and it was bursting at the seams.

bornadog
07-05-2018, 10:07 AM
It was the same last year though wasn't it and it was bursting at the seams.

I think last year it was a novelty, first game in Ballarat and people wanted to be there.

Prince Imperial
07-05-2018, 10:52 AM
They recently announced more development of Mars Stadium is the VIC budget on footy stadium upgrades that included the G, Etihad and Whitten Oval. Increased capacity will be highly beneficial for our member and supporters wanting to go.

They announced 500k to work on a masterplan for Mars but it did not include money for upgrades. Saturday's poor turnout makes it less likely that any upgrades will actually occur.

GVGjr
07-05-2018, 07:39 PM
I think last year it was a novelty, first game in Ballarat and people wanted to be there.

It was very well marketed last year and I think we also had a lot of Port supporters making the trip. This year there wasn't the hype and against a non drawing opposition club I don't think the interest was there. Last year we still had a slim chance of still making the 8 if we won that game.

In a way we have just shut out 20K of our supporters but we probably made more money out of the game.

SonofScray
08-05-2018, 09:16 PM
While I thought the Club has been up front and clear with how these games interact with memberships, there has been a lot of confused and disgruntled fans commenting around the traps. As far as I know, with the replacement games, the only loss in value relates to the reserved seat not being carried over.

Either way, the Club needs to find a way to spell out what the situation is for members and different packages. Reduce the confusion.

If the two games a year are genuine money spinners & keep Etihad honest I can wear the slight decrease in value of my membership package. It's a good change of scenery driving up and I was planning on staying the weekend with the family to visit Sovereign Hill etc. Wood be great to get a full house, completely partisan crowd.

Prince Imperial
08-05-2018, 10:55 PM
While I thought the Club has been up front and clear with how these games interact with memberships, there has been a lot of confused and disgruntled fans commenting around the traps. As far as I know, with the replacement games, the only loss in value relates to the reserved seat not being carried over.

Either way, the Club needs to find a way to spell out what the situation is for members and different packages. Reduce the confusion.

If the two games a year are genuine money spinners & keep Etihad honest I can wear the slight decrease in value of my membership package. It's a good change of scenery driving up and I was planning on staying the weekend with the family to visit Sovereign Hill etc. Wood be great to get a full house, completely partisan crowd.

The Saints charge $42 more for an adult level 1 wing reserved seat home game membership than what we do. I don't think those who complain about not having a reserved seat for the two replacement games realise this. If we played 11 home games at Etihad the prices would no doubt be higher.

I think the club needs to provide better value for home and away members though. It charges $125 extra for GA access to four additional away matches in Melbourne ($25 GA each). It should consider giving such members GA access (subject to capacity) to at least one of the Ballarat matches.

I think we should also consider allowing all members (and not just those who live in the Ballarat region) to purchase a Ballarat add-on membership given how poor the crowd was on Saturday.

Axe Man
09-05-2018, 12:44 PM
'One little hiccup': Dogs confident on Mars crowds (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-09/one-little-hiccup-dogs-confident-on-mars-crowds)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs' disappointing crowd in Ballarat on Saturday is being seen as a "once-off", according to chief executive Ameet Bains.

Only 6833 fans turned up to watch the Bulldogs edge out Gold Coast by nine points, after a sell-out attendance of 10,087 for the first AFL match at Mars Stadium last year.

It was a fully-ticketed game because of the stadium's capacity limitations and Bains said the Saturday timeslot, and subsequent clash with local sport, was one reason for the poor turnout.

Club officials struck a five-year, multi-million-dollar deal with the Victorian Government in late 2015 to forge a community relationship with Ballarat and to play up to three games a season there.

The Dogs will host two matches at the venue in 2018, the second of which is against Port Adelaide in round 19, after also playing an AFLW practice game and JLT Community Series contest in Ballarat.

"It was a little bit disappointing," Bains told RSN927 of the crowd number.

"Certainly last year's game (against the Power) had a lot more opposition fans attend, but we would have hoped even with our membership base that a few more might have turned up.

"It's something to look at ahead of our round 19 game against Port."

But Bains said the Dogs' partnership with Ballarat was broader than just playing home matches in the city, and included several community programs.

Their Ballarat-specific membership base has also doubled – "albeit coming off a modest base," Bains conceded – and former player Brett Goodes is in charge of a club office there.

"A lot of the value of the partnership, to be honest, is really in those partnerships and relationships struck on an annual basis," Bains said.

"The match returns are still important, I suppose, but the aim will always be at a stadium with that level of capacity to fill it.

"We're really comfortable with the relationship … one little hiccup was not getting a full house on Saturday, but we'll remedy that ahead of round 19."

Bains was also confident of securing superstar premiership player Marcus Bontempelli beyond his existing deal, which expires in 2019.

"Sam Power, our head of list and recruiting, has been in contact with (Bontempelli's manager) Tom Petroro and discussions continue to bubble along," Bains said.

"The most pleasing part of that, regardless of how long it takes from here, is that there's an intent to get it done, which is a great reflection on where the club's at and where the club's going."

Bontempelli (hip) was a late withdrawal at the weekend and Bains said he would miss again if he failed to train fully on Thursday.

bornadog
09-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Biggest issue with the round 19 game is it is at 3.20 on a Sunday. By the time the game finishes at around 6pm, then there is the drive home. May put off some supporters.

Sedat
09-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Biggest issue with the round 19 game is it is at 3.20 on a Sunday. By the time the game finishes at around 6pm, then there is the drive home. May put off some supporters.
It will be pitch black halfway through the last qtr. Honestly who comes up with this shit at the AFEL?

bornadog
09-05-2018, 05:45 PM
It will be pitch black halfway through the last qtr. Honestly who comes up with this shit at the AFEL?

Surely they have to re-think this one.

Axe Man
09-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Surely they have to re-think this one.

The problem is the early game on that Sunday is in Tassie which would face the same problems with a 3:20pm game.

The Gold Coast game should have been on Saturday 19th May when most country leagues in Victoria play interleague and therefore the vast majority of country footballers, netballers, supporters, etc in the Ballarat area would have the Saturday off. Can't expect the AFL to know or care what's going on at grassroots level though.

Twodogs
10-05-2018, 03:25 PM
The problem is the early game on that Sunday is in Tassie which would face the same problems with a 3:20pm game.

The Gold Coast game should have been on Saturday 19th May when most country leagues in Victoria play interleague and therefore the vast majority of country footballers, netballers, supporters, etc in the Ballarat area would have the Saturday off. Can't expect the AFL to know or care what's going on at grassroots level though.

Yep, it's nothin' to do with the AFL.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Exclusive member discounts for Ballarat clash (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-20/exclusive-member-discounts-to-ballarat-clash)

Western Bulldogs members will have discounted access to the Club’s Round 19 clash at Ballarat’s Mars Stadium against Port Adelaide.
Available now, Western Bulldogs members have access to $5 general admission tickets for the July 29 (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://1) clash, and can access reserved seats from just $21 (subject to availability).

BUY TICKETS NOW | Click here to access the discounted member tickets via Ticketmaster. (https://ticketing.ticketmaster.com.au/upgrade/start/1300545AC1CD8DFC?crosssite=TM_AU:1055618:157465)

Reserved seats for Mars Stadium clashes were previously only available through dedicated Ballarat Memberships.

“Since our first game in Ballarat earlier this season, the Club has reviewed its ticketing and membership services for Mars Stadium, based on extensive feedback from our members,” said Bulldogs’ CEO Ameet Bains.

“We have made a number of changes to ticketing, access for members and accommodation packages to ensure the upcoming Round 19 fixture is more easily accessible for our members and fans.

“We look forward to seeing as many fans in red, white and blue in Ballarat on July 29. (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/x-apple-data-detectors://3)”

Non-members can access tickets to the match from $25 for general admission tickets, and from $46 for reserved seats for adults.
An early-bird accommodation offer is also available to both Bulldogs members and fans who wish to make a weekend of their visit to the regional city. Accommodation packages including one-night’s twin-share accommodation in Ballarat and two-reserved seat tickets to the match start from just $195.

BOOK YOUR ACCOMODATION NOW | Discover the great accommodation packages available to Bulldogs members and fans, and book now. (http://www.visitballarat.com.au/bulldogs-deals/things-to-do-bulldogs-packages)

This offer is available until June 30 and is subject to availability, so members and fans are advised to get in early to avoid disappointment.

DISCOVER BALLARAT | Make a weekend of the Bulldogs' home match in Ballarat, discover everything else there is to see in and around the regional city. (http://www.visitballarat.com.au/bulldogs-deals/things-to-do-bulldogs-packages)

G-Mo77
22-06-2018, 07:43 PM
I'm glad they've listened to their members this time around although the poor turnout from last time probably forced their hand this way.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 11:59 PM
I'm glad they've listened to their members this time around although the poor turnout from last time probably forced their hand this way.

There were alot of complaints, and Ameet said they would look at it and he has. He also mentioned due to the timing(which is poor), the AFL would pay for extra lighting.

The bulldog tragician
23-06-2018, 10:56 AM
The players might need to have miners lights on their foreheads. Reserved seats “from $21” is still steep.

GVGjr
23-06-2018, 11:10 AM
There were alot of complaints, and Ameet said they would look at it and he has. He also mentioned due to the timing(which is poor), the AFL would pay for extra lighting.

It's still a work in progress and should only get better. It should be a sell out every time we play there in the next year or two.

Sedat
23-06-2018, 12:05 PM
I reckon all Ballarat games need to be 1.10pm on Sunday moving forward. Create day and time continuity and avoid Saturdays which don't work for the region.

Not a fan at all of building lights for future night games in Ballarat. Wonderful city but it can be frigid cold - daytime works much better and creates the perfect country footy atmosphere.

GVGjr
23-06-2018, 12:11 PM
I reckon all Ballarat games need to be 1.10pm on Sunday moving forward. Create day and time continuity and avoid Saturdays which don't work for the region.

Not a fan at all of building lights for future night games in Ballarat. Wonderful city but it can be frigid cold - daytime works much better and creates the perfect country footy atmosphere.

I suspect the lights would be more for concerts than footy games but there might be an idea that twilight games might work.

I agree that night games could be a problem

bornadog
23-06-2018, 04:50 PM

the lights for our game will be temporary

Eastdog
27-07-2018, 10:44 AM
Anyone woofers going to Ballarat on Sunday? I'll be staying home watching it on TV.

GVGjr
27-07-2018, 11:10 AM
It's going to be a cold day but I will be there. Ballarat has a top of 9 on the day but it will be colder than that when the game starts

Twodogs
27-07-2018, 11:14 AM
I will be at Trugo practice at Footscray Park when the game starts.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 11:41 AM
I'm not going to Ballarat. I'd like to get down there for a game at some point, but 3.20 on a Sunday, when the season is essentially over for us - it will be freezing, I don't have a local knowledge of parking etc, and would be getting home pretty late...makes it pretty easy to watch on tv I'm afraid.

Etihad or MCG I'm 100% there. The crowd will be very small at Ballarat.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 11:50 AM
I'm not going to Ballarat. I'd like to get down there for a game at some point, but 3.20 on a Sunday, when the season is essentially over for us - it will be freezing, I don't have a local knowledge of parking etc, and would be getting home pretty late...makes it pretty easy to watch on tv I'm afraid.

Etihad or MCG I'm 100% there. The crowd will be very small at Ballarat.

The starting and finishing time will restrict the number of supporters prepared to travel.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 12:15 PM
The starting and finishing time will restrict the number of supporters prepared to travel.

Let's face it - late afternoon in late July on a Sunday is hardly ideal to schedule a match in Ballarat.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Let's face it - late afternoon in late July on a Sunday is hardly ideal to schedule a match in Ballarat.

It was not the clubs idea, it was the dickheads in AFL house who don't care about us.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 12:21 PM
It was not the clubs idea, it was the dickheads in AFL house who don't care about us.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting it was the clubs idea. However it came about - it really isn't the best slot for this match.
The partnership with Ballarat may prove to be a success at some point, but I'd say it has been an underwhelming start.

Sedat
27-07-2018, 03:18 PM
It is a Ch 7 game, which adds several layers of difficulty to the TV viewing experience

The Underdog
27-07-2018, 03:24 PM
Yeah I wasn't suggesting it was the clubs idea. However it came about - it really isn't the best slot for this match.
The partnership with Ballarat may prove to be a success at some point, but I'd say it has been an underwhelming start.

Who would have thought playing a winter sport outside in Ballarat could have a down side?

I would like to go, but the 4-5 hour round trip with children in tow to watch us get beat is a special circle of hell im not ready for yet

Sedat
27-07-2018, 03:35 PM
Who would have thought playing a winter sport outside in Ballarat could have a down side?

I would like to go, but the 4-5 hour round trip with children in tow to watch us get beat is a special circle of hell im not ready for yet
Mentioned it a couple of months ago, but 1.10pm on Sunday is the no-brainer timeslot for Ballarat. Having it at 3.20pm in the depths of winter is just madness, temporary lighting or not.

One day the AFL will actually use their brains (or maybe not if the past week is any indication). And I hope we are proactive in recommending Sunday 1.10pm to the AFL as the only sensible option for all of our Ballarat games moving forward. It's the warmest time of the day (relatively speaking), and it gives visitors the chance to explore the city on Sat night and the nearby wineries and other attractions on Sunday morning and also get back home to Melbourne by 6pm.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Having North's game from Hobart at 1.10pm makes sense. But having both the Hobart and Ballarat games on the same day - and nothing at Etihad or the MCG - is pretty ordinary. For the entire weekend, only Essendon (Friday night) of the Etihad tenants are playing there, while Carlton and St.Kilda are interstate - and the other 2 a playing on alternate grounds.
Only 2 matches of 9 being played in Melbourne this weekend.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
27-07-2018, 04:22 PM
We are going for our first game at Mars. Looking forward to the petting zoo

Twodogs
27-07-2018, 04:36 PM
The petting zoo was insane fun last year.

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 04:40 PM
Having North's game from Hobart at 1.10pm makes sense. But having both the Hobart and Ballarat games on the same day - and nothing at Etihad or the MCG - is pretty ordinary. For the entire weekend, only Essendon (Friday night) of the Etihad tenants are playing there, while Carlton and St.Kilda are interstate - and the other 2 a playing on alternate grounds.
Only 2 matches of 9 being played in Melbourne this weekend.

It's a weird round. Richmond v Pies is the only game that doesn't involve teams from different states.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 04:49 PM
It's a weird round. Richmond v Pies is the only game that doesn't involve teams from different states.

and they aren't FTA

bornadog
27-07-2018, 04:52 PM
We are going for our first game at Mars. Looking forward to the petting zoo

You should enjoy the ground, it's like being at Western Oval in the 80s, with the majority of supporters being WB. I went to the first two matches and really enjoyed the ground.

I just hope the locals show up - we need at least 10k there.

craigsahibee
27-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Forecast is looking great for Ballarat on Sunday

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Looking forward to going to the game, which will be another tough encounter. Hope to see Young and Greene come into the team.
Getting the Bont back should help straighten us up.

LostDoggy
27-07-2018, 08:49 PM
Am going though will be rugging up for the match. Travelling by train. Hope for a good showing from our boys.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Forecast is looking great for Ballarat on Sunday

Top forecast for Ballarat tomorrow is 9 degrees and showers. Definitely a day for the warm woolies.

comrade
28-07-2018, 05:18 PM
Crazy decision to play the game so late. Shame it wasn't played today, it's been a perfect day for footy down here.

Smads57
28-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Been to all the Ballarat games so far and will be there tomorrow. Having a late lunch at the Turret Cafe beforehand. Will be rugged up.

The bulldog tragician
28-07-2018, 07:47 PM
Yes. Gulp.... it’s insane, really, but I’ll be there...brrrr...

SonofScray
28-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Will be there. It's feeling like a bit of a chore though.

josie
28-07-2018, 08:33 PM
Will be there with thermals and poncho too. Spent a few hours on small banner last night “We love Fergus Greene the goal machine”. Hope I suffer RSI waving it every time he kicks a goal. Frostbite a distinct possibility....

GVGjr
28-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Is it the weather, the timeslot, the travel times required or our form (or a combination of everything) that has made up the mind of some of our WOOF community to not want to go?

AndrewP6
28-07-2018, 09:41 PM
Is it the weather, the timeslot, the travel times required or our form (or a combination of everything) that has made up the mind of some of our WOOF community to not want to go?

A, B, C for me.

Twodogs
28-07-2018, 10:53 PM

Tomorrow is the only Trugo practice for a while and selection for a match coming up so that's why I'm missing but if it was a really vital game with an important outcome I'm sure I'd revise my priorities and make it.

bornadog
28-07-2018, 11:29 PM

The timelsot. In reality, if the game finishes say 5:45 or so, by the time you get into your car and on the road, could be 6.30, with a drive of 1.30 - so home by 8pm. I think that has a big factor.

Sedat
29-07-2018, 12:13 AM
Travel time is a very small factor compared to the others - Eastern suburb supporters notwithstanding. Let's learn from this and schedule Sunday 1.10pm for all our Ballarar games moving forward.

Twodogs
29-07-2018, 12:16 AM
Have all of our other Ballarat games started at 1.10?

Sedat
29-07-2018, 12:17 AM
Have all of our other Ballarat games started at 1.10?
Last year was 2.10pm Saturday and earlier this year was 1.45pm Saturday. By all accounts Saturday is a crap day for Ballarat matches due to local sport in the area.

comrade
29-07-2018, 09:52 AM

The ground is about a 3 minute drive from my place and I've struggled to get motivated to go. I will because my son wants to go (I think it's more about getting to eat a hot jam donut for him) and it's Bont's 100th but man, given how unwatchable this team is right now, it's a chore to give up 2-3 hours.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 10:26 AM
The ground is about a 3 minute drive from my place and I've struggled to get motivated to go. I will because my son wants to go (I think it's more about getting to eat a hot jam donut for him) and it's Bont's 100th but man, given how unwatchable this team is right now, it's a chore to give up 2-3 hours.

I tend to think the issue of how we are playing is sweeping through our members who have effectively signed off on the season. Hopefully many of them haven't also checked out for next season as well

This is the 3rd game and the novelty of playing games in Ballarat has already worn off for many of the members and unless the club gets a bounce in form soon, games in Ballarat won't be the financial windfall we hoped for.

Grantysghost
29-07-2018, 11:17 AM
I will be going, been to all the games including the Hawks JLT. I quite like the ground. The weather on the other hand. Top of 9. Cairns today top of 28. Cairns how I miss thee.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 11:20 AM
I will be going, been to all the games including the Hawks JLT. I quite like the ground. The weather on the other hand. Top of 9. Cairns today top of 28. Cairns how I miss thee.

Great effort Granty, I went to many games at the WO where conditions were somewhat similar and equally as challenging. Today won't be a lot different to the good old days.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 12:02 PM
I tend to think the issue of how we are playing is sweeping through our members who have effectively signed off on the season. Hopefully many of them haven't also checked out for next season as well

This is the 3rd game and the novelty of playing games in Ballarat has already worn off for many of the members and unless the club gets a bounce in form soon, games in Ballarat won't be the financial windfall we hoped for.

This was what I was thinking to myself after the last fixture there. I'm starting to see a few problems that I'm not sure we can fix easily. For staters, we need to play a relatively low drawing interstate team. But, to really pack it out and get a buzz about things a fixture against a team who has a 1,000 or so nearby members and desire to put on buses for Melbourne members would be better. But what good is a packed out Mars stadium when a better than half full Etihad is better. No way in hell will the AFEL let us play a good Victorian side up there.

Then there's form as you say. Not to mention the 22 listed to play isn't really a team that screams come and watch us... probably lose.

Then there was always the novelty factor. Could we continue to replicate the first crowd. No is the answer.

Then the club was between a rock and a hard place. The heavily discounting of tickets was good for members, but at its current rate next year's tickets will be catchoftheday.com.au or similar at 90% off. There's a wiff of desperation around the move. I'm not potting the club, they're between a rock and a hard place on it.

Then there's location for some, weather for others which are an impediment. For the locals side of things, I wonder how many people we pissed off by promising all the players to go there on their Mad Monday after the premiership, which obviously didn't happen. I wonder how we are tracking for Ballarat membership sales and our expectations in 2016?

So as I see it, it's the timing, the fixture, which opposition teams we face, our form and team composition, the novelty wearing off, location, weather and needing to desperately get people out there by slashing prices. I'm sure things can get turned around, and they have to or the ground may never be completed which will ensure it never grows and dies a natural death. With so much time and effort into Edgewater and for it to unfortunately fall over, I'd hate to see all this time, effort and expense by the club go the same way.

Bulldog4life
29-07-2018, 12:27 PM

First home game I have missed this year. The time slot and distance from Rosebud are the 2 deal crunchers for me. Weather not an issue.

comrade
29-07-2018, 12:57 PM
This was what I was thinking to myself after the last fixture there. I'm starting to see a few problems that I'm not sure we can fix easily. For staters, we need to play a relatively low drawing interstate team. But, to really pack it out and get a buzz about things a fixture against a team who has a 1,000 or so nearby members and desire to put on buses for Melbourne members would be better. But what good is a packed out Mars stadium when a better than half full Etihad is better. No way in hell will the AFEL let us play a good Victorian side up there.

Then there's form as you say. Not to mention the 22 listed to play isn't really a team that screams come and watch us... probably lose.

Then there was always the novelty factor. Could we continue to replicate the first crowd. No is the answer.

Then the club was between a rock and a hard place. The heavily discounting of tickets was good for members, but at its current rate next year's tickets will be catchoftheday.com.au or similar at 90% off. There's a wiff of desperation around the move. I'm not potting the club, they're between a rock and a hard place on it.

Then there's location for some, weather for others which are an impediment. For the locals side of things, I wonder how many people we pissed off by promising all the players to go there on their Mad Monday after the premiership, which obviously didn't happen. I wonder how we are tracking for Ballarat membership sales and our expectations in 2016?

So as I see it, it's the timing, the fixture, which opposition teams we face, our form and team composition, the novelty wearing off, location, weather and needing to desperately get people out there by slashing prices. I'm sure things can get turned around, and they have to or the ground may never be completed which will ensure it never grows and dies a natural death. With so much time and effort into Edgewater and for it to unfortunately fall over, I'd hate to see all this time, effort and expense by the club go the same way.

If we were winning and there was a positive buzz around the club, we'd be filling it and have no problems creating a party like atmosphere.

When we suck, have a percentage barely above the 60s and go long stretches of games without scoring, it's hard to get neutrals or casual Dogs fans to get behind the cause.

We had everything going for us after 2016 and we have managed to butcher it.

Sedat
29-07-2018, 01:06 PM
We need to play the long game with Ballarat, but we need to get the basic fundamentals right - the right scheduling for starters. The western corridor of Melbourne is only going to continue growing at pace, so the alignment is a natural extension of our existing catchment.

Form will come and go and we shouldn't be making decisions based on that.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 01:07 PM
Is it wrong for me to think that Bulldog members hopping onto the train wearing shorts is just bloody stupid or should I assume they have big boy pants packed?

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 01:10 PM
First home game I have missed this year. The time slot and distance from Rosebud are the 2 deal crunchers for me. Weather not an issue.
It makes for a long day but I just saw the guy who travels from Warnambool though and hes probaly been on the road since 9 am

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 01:17 PM
If we were winning and there was a positive buzz around the club, we'd be filling it and have no problems creating a party like atmosphere.

When we suck, have a percentage barely above the 60s and go long stretches of games without scoring, it's hard to get neutrals or casual Dogs fans to get behind the cause.

We had everything going for us after 2016 and we have managed to butcher it.
Yep its not an easy trip for many and like you I can't believe how far we have gone backwards since the flag. Momentum is a funny thing, get on it and things just fall into place, lose it and its like watching a cruise ship on a turning circle. The downstream impacts of our slump could be telling if we dont address it quikly.

bornadog
29-07-2018, 02:54 PM
We need to play the long game with Ballarat, but we need to get the basic fundamentals right - the right scheduling for starters. The western corridor of Melbourne is only going to continue growing at pace, so the alignment is a natural extension of our existing catchment.

Form will come and go and we shouldn't be making decisions based on that.

Spot on. We have to lobby the brainless people at AFL house who don't care about us and get the right day and timeslot. Yes we have to be in it for the long haul, or it will be a waste of time.

The Underdog
29-07-2018, 03:02 PM

I live an hour out on the other side of town, so taking the kids to the footy and keeping them engaged (or fed) is a big task already. Adding an extra couple of hours on top plus shit weather and a team that is playing out the string makes it too big an ask.
I’d like to go to be honest but other circumstances this weekend killed off the small percentage chance I’d be there.

Mantis
29-07-2018, 03:14 PM
Spot on. We have to lobby the brainless people at AFL house who don't care about us and get the right day and timeslot. Yes we have to be in it for the long haul, or it will be a waste of time.

What would that time slot be?

bornadog
29-07-2018, 03:16 PM
What would that time slot be?

A Sunday, 1pm or 2pm, so people can get back at a decent hour. Especially those with small kids

bornadog
29-07-2018, 03:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjPqYZFUwAA2U9E.jpg

Bulldog4life
29-07-2018, 03:21 PM
It makes for a long day but I just saw the guy who travels from Warnambool though and hes probaly been on the road since 9 am

He is a better man than me. Good on him.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 03:25 PM
He is a better man than me. Good on him.

Hes better than most of us, :)

Rocket Science
29-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Good lord. Cracking day for it.

Twodogs
29-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Is it wrong for me to think that Bulldog members hopping onto the train wearing shorts is just bloody stupid or shoukd I assume they have big boy pants packed?

No it's stupid.

Is that black light tower supposed to be at that angle?

comrade
29-07-2018, 05:34 PM
It is freaking cold.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 08:16 PM
I was told today that the AFL had to stump up 60k for the lighting
Just glad we didn't have to contribute

We wonf play at Ballarat 3.20pm again

bornadog
29-07-2018, 08:46 PM
I was told today that the AFL had to stump up 60k for the lighting
Just glad we didn't have to contribute

We wont play at Ballarat 3.20pm again

Good. Ameet Bains did tell me a few months ago the AFL would pay for the lights. He agreed the timing was shocking and said they had decided on that time slot, withouy thinking about lighting.

I think, given Ballarat is the coldest place in Victoria, future matches should be held in April

SonofScray
29-07-2018, 08:57 PM
I went today. It was as challenging a day at the footy I've ever had. Rivalled the old days at Waverley and certainly worse than the worst weather conditions ever dished up at Whitten Oval.

I didn't wear the rightwet weather gear, got soaked through and by the time the final siren went it was 6 degrees "feels like" -2 and I was actually concerned for my health. Stripped off to my jocks, put the heater on in the car and drove home.

Twodogs
29-07-2018, 09:39 PM
I went today. It was as challenging a day at the footy I've ever had. Rivalled the old days at Waverley and certainly worse than the worst weather conditions ever dished up at Whitten Oval.

I didn't wear the rightwet weather gear, got soaked through and by the time the final siren went it was 6 degrees "feels like" -2 and I was actually concerned for my health. Stripped off to my jocks, put the heater on in the car and drove home.

Please tell me that you got pulled over for the booze bus on the way back and the cameras from RBT were there.

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Just got home from the long day. The train trip was excellent, just lost a bit of time with the connection out to Mont Albert as the works on the Glen Waverley line meant I couldn't travel into the city that way.

Time to thaw out a bit

The bulldog tragician
29-07-2018, 10:22 PM
Yes, it was cold. I got saturated walking from my car to the stadium. That made for a miserable day as sodden clothes didn’t thaw out at all.

A few things need to be sorted out. Coming off the highway following Mars stadium signs till I got to a t intersection with nothing. I guessed wrong as to the direction...once I got back on track there was a park and ride sign, again i turned and couldn’t see where to go.

Apart from the atrocious weather there is potential in Ballarat. The crowd was good humoured, a family atmosphere, friendly banter with the port fans (how come they were louder than us? What’s happened to our cheer squad?). Forget the music between goals please.

About our performance I just feel sad. I thought we had a dip. That’s about all you could say. Roll on 2019

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-07-2018, 11:17 PM
Just got home from the long day. The train trip was excellent, just lost a bit of time with the connection out to Mont Albert as the works on the Glen Waverley line meant I couldn't travel into the city that way.

Time to thaw out a bit

The weather was a shocker with a 5 degrees at best. My two guests from Canada attending their first AFL match thought it was pretty good given their minus 30 degrees. Time to re assess playing mid winter in Ballarat which was far too late on a Sunday afternoon. Little consideration by the AFL in particular for many of us traveling from the Eastern suburbs.

Eastdog
29-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Yeah I'm also in the east as well and the 3:20pm Ballarat time slot on a cold rainy windy day particularly with us not playing well at all is very unappealing to many so just watched it from home but good on all the woofers that made the trip to Ballarat today. I'll be back going to the footy next week at Etihad hopefully returning to see us win again.

1 win 2 losses our Ballarat record so not a good start. Only a crowd of 6450 today. Would we still benefited financially today with that crowd figure?

I think the both Ballarat games should be played earlier in the year not in the winter months if played on Sunday start at 1:10pm and on Saturday have it at 1:45pm which was the one we had earlier in the year.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-07-2018, 12:06 AM
Yes, it was cold. I got saturated walking from my car to the stadium. That made for a miserable day as sodden clothes didn’t thaw out at all.

A few things need to be sorted out. Coming off the highway following Mars stadium signs till I got to a t intersection with nothing. I guessed wrong as to the direction...once I got back on track there was a park and ride sign, again i turned and couldn’t see where to go.

Apart from the atrocious weather there is potential in Ballarat. The crowd was good humoured, a family atmosphere, friendly banter with the port fans (how come they were louder than us? What’s happened to our cheer squad?). Forget the music between goals please.

About our performance I just feel sad. I thought we had a dip. That’s about all you could say. Roll on 2019
Surprised to see so many PA fans at the game which would seem to indicate Bulldog members would be light on. This would have been a financial disaster for the Club. I am yet to be convinced that playing at Ballarat is a goer. With the expected better financial returns from Etihad now under AFL ownership it makes far more sense to return all home games there. North and Hawthorn have great financial benefits courtesy of the huge Tasmanian Government sponsorship and we are light years away from getting any real financial benefits at Ballarat.

josie
30-07-2018, 01:04 AM
The stands were reasonably fullish. It was the GA standing areas that were quite bare. I though PA fans were well behaved (at least where I sat).

The rain driving into your face especially early first quarter was rather challenging.

The baked potato was yummy though-starchy foods go down well on cold days.

And the bus to/from Whitten Oval was brilliant - almost door to door and no parking hastles. So kudos to club for organising it. Quicker than the train with interconnecting bus.

Earlier timeslot and earlier time in season as has been stated by others will be big improvements. As would lower prices for members. Hopefully club attends to all these issues from next year to give Ballarat venture a higher chance of success.

GVGjr
30-07-2018, 09:10 AM
I think we are in a difficult position with Ballarat, clearly our support base hasn't embraced the venue or the city despite the club doing a lot to advertise it and form a link with the community. Yes, form, weather and poor timeslot were contributing factors in yesterdays horrendous turn out but unless phase two and three in the development of the ground make it a more appealing venue I fear our supporters just won't make the trip in the numbers to make it a success.

Less than 6,500 people at the game yesterday is a clear vote against venue.

Ozza
30-07-2018, 10:31 AM
I still need a lot of convincing on the Ballarat partnership, particularly given that we give up two games at Etihad where I'm a reserved seat member.

I guess it can't get any worse than yesterday where it was dark, cold, raining and the game looked like on tv like a VFL game - and sounded like we were the away team.

Can only get better from here.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 10:35 AM
I think we are in a difficult position with Ballarat, clearly our support base hasn't embraced the venue or the city despite the club doing a lot to advertise it and form a link with the community. Yes, form, weather and poor timeslot were contributing factors in yesterdays horrendous turn out but unless phase two and three in the development of the ground make it a more appealing venue I fear our supporters just won't make the trip in the numbers to make it a success.

Less than 6,500 people at the game yesterday is a clear vote against venue.

It is more than what you say. It will take a long time to try and get Ballarat people to go and watch us, especially if we aren't playing well. The people of Ballarat already have their own team they follow and it will take time to convert them. You only have to look at North who played in Hobart yesterday, only 11k showed up. People commented " well if they want a Tassie team why don't they show up to AFL games. They will show up if North was a Tassie team. It took the Hawks a few seasons to start packing out Launceston.

We have now commited to Ballarat, convinced the government to upgrade the ground, so we have to make it work. We may have to play a Victorian team there if we can't even get our own supporters to go.

The GC game earlier this year only attracted 300 more supporters. The excuses then was the pricing for members, and that Ballarat people have Saturday sports and can't make the time. This time the excuse was the timeslot for Melbourne people.

Given all of that, we have to work out a proper plan and strategy on how to get people to the game. I think it is worth pursing to build up our base in the western corridor, it won't happen overnight.

comrade
30-07-2018, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure we should be judging the potential of Ballarat based on yesterday. It was a total balls up in scheduling and I'm hoping it's a blessing in disguise, as the AFL will never schedule a game in that time slot again (and hopefully not in July at all).

Sedat
30-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Given all of that, we have to work out a proper plan and strategy on how to get people to the game. I think it is worth pursing to build up our base in the western corridor, it won't happen overnight.
Shouldn't we have done that before we started playing games there? Strategy on the run is not strategy - just another example of the reactive mindset of our senior management in the last 18 months. Schedule games in April and May at 1.10pm Sunday, properly package up weekends away so that Ballarat tourism can be more properly marketed. Much more active PR around the events.

We need to get better in all areas of operation, and fast.

azabob
30-07-2018, 11:51 AM
I still need a lot of convincing on the Ballarat partnership, particularly given that we give up two games at Etihad where I'm a reserved seat member.

I guess it can't get any worse than yesterday where it was dark, cold, raining and the game looked like on tv like a VFL game - and sounded like we were the away team.

Can only get better from here.

Agree on your first point. Especially since the first two Ballarat games were difficult to access and required members to buy an entry ticket plus extra for a reserved seat.

GVGjr
30-07-2018, 12:05 PM
It is more than what you say. It will take a long time to try and get Ballarat people to go and watch us, especially if we aren't playing well. The people of Ballarat already have their own team they follow and it will take time to convert them. You only have to look at North who played in Hobart yesterday, only 11k showed up. People commented " well if they want a Tassie team why don't they show up to AFL games. They will show up if North was a Tassie team. It took the Hawks a few seasons to start packing out Launceston.

We have now commited to Ballarat, convinced the government to upgrade the ground, so we have to make it work. We may have to play a Victorian team there if we can't even get our own supporters to go.

The GC game earlier this year only attracted 300 more supporters. The excuses then was the pricing for members, and that Ballarat people have Saturday sports and can't make the time. This time the excuse was the timeslot for Melbourne people.

I don't quite get this logic, the turnout by Port fans was more than acceptable. Why should we expect that supporters from other Victorian teams should carry the load? This was years in the making and despite many difficult reasons with yesterday it was still a shocking endorsement of games being played there.

I get that we have to make it work but we've gone from a sell out in 2017 to two very poorly attended games in 2018.
Unless we start winning games next year I suspect 2019 might be another test for us to get people to attend games.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 01:13 PM
I don't quite get this logic, the turnout by Port fans was more than acceptable. Why should we expect that supporters from other Victorian teams should carry the load? This was years in the making and despite many difficult reasons with yesterday it was still a shocking endorsement of games being played there.

I get that we have to make it work but we've gone from a sell out in 2017 to two very poorly attended games in 2018.
Unless we start winning games next year I suspect 2019 might be another test for us to get people to attend games.

I only mentioned that as a last resort. eg: GC fans didn't show up, because they don't have any.

Anyhow, Gerard on SEN said over 8500 tickets were sold, but only 6500 showed up.

The bulldog tragician
30-07-2018, 03:09 PM
I still paid 35 extra for a seat even though I’m a social club member with a reserved seat at Etihad. Not sure that’s fair.

Twodogs
30-07-2018, 03:48 PM
I only mentioned that as a last resort. eg: GC fans didn't show up, because they don't have any.

Anyhow, Gerard on SEN said over 8500 tickets were sold, but only 6500 showed up.

I thought that you may have meant we could get another Victorian team to play Port up there.

Ozza
30-07-2018, 04:26 PM
I still paid 35 extra for a seat even though I’m a social club member with a reserved seat at Etihad. Not sure that’s fair.

No. Its pretty ordinary.
I get it that they can't accommodate all the members into the stadium at Ballarat. In fact they couldn't even accommodate all of the social club if they wanted to go. But surely we can do better than charging social club members $35 a seat if they are making the journey. I doubt many social club members (myself included) who are a group of 4 (for example) - are jumping out of their skins to travel the 3 hour round trip and pay $140 for their seats.

The bulldog tragician
30-07-2018, 05:00 PM
No. Its pretty ordinary.
I get it that they can't accommodate all the members into the stadium at Ballarat. In fact they couldn't even accommodate all of the social club if they wanted to go. But surely we can do better than charging social club members $35 a seat if they are making the journey. I doubt many social club members (myself included) who are a group of 4 (for example) - are jumping out of their skins to travel the 3 hour round trip and pay $140 for their seats.
Yep. Fitting everyone in probably isn’t a major concern!

bornadog
30-07-2018, 05:12 PM

I think it is fair.

Your social club and reserved seat are costed out for the number of games played at Etihad, so I don't see the problem? It is not as if you have paid for a seat at Mars in your normal Etihad reserved seating.

Sedat
30-07-2018, 05:34 PM
I think it is fair.

Your social club and reserved seat are costed out for the number of games played at Etihad, so I don't see the problem? It is not as if you have paid for a seat at Mars in your normal Etihad reserved seating.
If you want to see sub 7k crowds, it is fair. If you actually want to incentivise your constituents to embrace the new journey, you'd charge a whole lot less for reserved seats (basically a nominal fee), and you would also allow walk-up members to scan in without charge and without having to reserve a ticket and line Ticketmaster's pockets.

Ballarat games are fantastic for some but they are also an impost for others - we need to embrace ALL our members and make them feel part of the excitement instead of using it as an opportunity to sling them another $35 on top of their already expensive reserve seat memberships.

On a side note, what Ballarat specific marketing and engagement are we doing to get the locals and local businesses excited? I spend a lot of time in the city and for both games this year there has been bugger-all appearance of any engagement with the locals - it's like a fly-in fly out exercise, which is not going to get us anywhere long term. What are our KPI's for increased memberships and increased sponsorships from the region, and who is accountable for these KPI's? Let's get serious about the region and bring our members along for the ride.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 05:57 PM
If you want to see sub 7k crowds, it is fair. If you actually want to incentivise your constituents to embrace the new journey, you'd charge a whole lot less for reserved seats (basically a nominal fee), and you would also allow walk-up members to scan in without charge and without having to reserve a ticket and line Ticketmaster's pockets.

Ballarat games are fantastic for some but they are also an impost for others - we need to embrace ALL our members and make them feel part of the excitement instead of using it as an opportunity to sling them another $35 on top of their already expensive reserve seat memberships.

On a side note, what Ballarat specific marketing and engagement are we doing to get the locals and local businesses excited? I spend a lot of time in the city and for both games this year there has been bugger-all appearance of any engagement with the locals - it's like a fly-in fly out exercise, which is not going to get us anywhere long term. What are our KPI's for increased memberships and increased sponsorships from the region, and who is accountable for these KPI's? Let's get serious about the region and bring our members along for the ride.

We have a full time office in Ballarat with Brett Goodes heading it up and doing lots of work with locals.

You can roll up and buy a ticket, plus the reserved seating was actually discounted for Sunday, I think it was something like $60 for the first game. I don't know what the price should be, what I am saying is your Etihad seat doesn't get you into Mars, MCG or anywhere else.

Sedat
30-07-2018, 06:15 PM
We have a full time office in Ballarat with Brett Goodes heading it up and doing lots of work with locals.

You can roll up and buy a ticket, plus the reserved seating was actually discounted for Sunday, I think it was something like $60 for the first game. I don't know what the price should be, what I am saying is your Etihad seat doesn't get you into Mars, MCG or anywhere else.
I'm aware of our office and that Brett is in charge, but what exactly is being done to court the locals? I'm seeing nothing tangible - maybe we are doing a tonne of work behind the scenes but it's certainly not apparent what we're doing. There should be KPI's in terms of sponsorship $$ generated from the area and increased membership numbers from the area that Brett needs to be held accountable to, and these numbers need to be re-forcasted every year with projected growth year on year.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 06:16 PM
I'm aware of our office and that Brett is in charge, but what exactly is being done to court the locals? I'm seeing nothing tangible - maybe we are doing a tonne of work behind the scenes but it's certainly not apparent what we're doing. There should be KPI's in terms of sponsorship $$ generated from the area and increased membership numbers from the area that Brett needs to be held accountable to, and these numbers need to be re-forcasted every year with projected growth year on year.

Fair to say we don't know.

Sedat
30-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Fair to say we don't know.
We should. It's not rocket science to break down the Ballarat portion of revenue generated from both memberships and sponsorships. Look forward to seeing this basic level of detail in the annual report.

The bulldog tragician
30-07-2018, 09:31 PM

Yes, this is what I meant. Even for general admission to stand in the outer - despite being a SC member - there was a fee of $5. In the early stages I’d think it’s more important to pack the stadium out for atmosphere and appearance than slug members - there were seats selling on ticketmaster for $65 in the grandstand even the day before - what is the point when the crowd is so poor and the weather forecast so dire? Cost has to be a factor in people voting not to come.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-07-2018, 10:18 PM

Wish I had done that my clothes were still wet today

bornadog
26-02-2019, 11:48 PM
delete

bornadog
06-05-2019, 04:14 PM
What sort of crowd should we expect on Saturday? Anything less than 10,000 I will deem as a fail.

comrade
06-05-2019, 04:31 PM
What sort of crowd should we expect on Saturday? Anything less than 10,000 I will deem as a fail.

It should get 10K but not much more. Looks like the weather gods have decided to grace us with another freezing day.

Eastdog
06-05-2019, 04:33 PM
I’ll be watching from home on the TV.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 05:11 PM
It should get 10K but not much more. Looks like the weather gods have decided to grace us with another freezing day.

Great I better rug up

Axe Man
06-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Forecast for Ballarat on Saturday isn't too bad at this stage.
https://i.postimg.cc/mkxsgKzf/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)

I've booked seats and am heading up with the family on Friday night, staying for a couple of nights. Hopefully the team does the right thing and it's an enjoyable weekend.

Smads57
06-05-2019, 05:33 PM
I expect to be taking a car load up....

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 06:25 PM
I'll be there for some reason I enjoy the games and don't even hate the cold. Reminds me of my mum putting a garbage bag over me in the depths of July at the Western Oval back in the mid 80's :^)

Last time we were there, I was in the same row as Gordo...he was unrecognisable he was so rugged up (it was ridiculously cold) and we kind of shared a moment without speaking. Basically eye contact from behind beanies saying...yep its cold.

He came out not long after and said he would never put the members through that again. I'm taking the credit !

Axe Man
06-05-2019, 06:43 PM
Reminds me of my mum putting a garbage bag over me in the depths of July at the Western Oval back in the mid 80's :^)

I hope she included a hole for your head!

Grantysghost
06-05-2019, 06:52 PM
I hope she included a hole for your head!

Ah that's why I had trouble seeing the game :)

ratsmac
06-05-2019, 07:09 PM
I'll be in the plane to Vegas baby!!!!
Does anyone know if planes have Wi-Fi these days so I can see score updates?

GVGjr
06-05-2019, 07:24 PM
I haven't missed a game in Ballarat so I'll be there again
I don't love it but it does remind me of a cramped and cold Whitten Oval in the 80's.

AshMac
06-05-2019, 07:26 PM
I don't love it but it does remind me of a cramped and cold Whitten Oval in the 80's.

Just as windy? Rain comes in sideways?

GVGjr
06-05-2019, 07:29 PM
Just as windy? Rain comes in sideways?

The seating is tight, the weather can be brutal and even though we get small crowds the place feels cramped but I can suck it up 2 or 3 times a year.

1eyedog
06-05-2019, 10:01 PM
I hate Ballarat. Why we are saying games in that shithole and not our own shithole is beyond me. I'll be there.

bornadog
06-05-2019, 10:05 PM
I hate Ballarat. Why we are saying games in that shithole and not our own shithole is beyond me. I'll be there.

If the locals don't support it, we will pull out

LostDoggy
06-05-2019, 10:19 PM
Still deciding if I'll go.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-05-2019, 10:52 PM
If the locals don't support it, we will pull out
Support from the Ballarat Community comes at the expense of the thousands of long time dedicated members located in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne who are a short train ride in many cases via Southern Cross station to Marvel Stadium.

Nuggety Back Pocket
07-05-2019, 01:16 PM
You are very brave. Went to our game against PA with max temp of 5 degrees which was a shocker at 3.20pm on a Sunday.
Three of us will go on Saturday at a far more reasonable time.

Bulldog4life
07-05-2019, 05:16 PM

Take your hand warmers G

BornInDroopSt'54
07-05-2019, 07:50 PM
Haha very cold on Sat in Ballarat. Brisbane will know they are in hostile territory.

HOSE B ROMERO
07-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Wasn't planning on going but after last Saturday's siren i committed to going. Standing in the outer. Previously saw us beat Gold Coast there and loved standing so close to the play. Hope to convince my son to come along. They better not have all those road works like last time..

josie
07-05-2019, 08:19 PM
I am going-(was too late to book a seat near cheer squad though). Will take lots of layers and rain gear. Brrrrr.

craigsahibee
09-05-2019, 01:06 PM
After some ticketing issues I've simply paid $7.95 for the privilege of scanning my membership and guaranteeing entry to the ground.

Contemplating whether to drive or take the train.

1eyedog
09-05-2019, 01:31 PM
25km p/h S/W winds 13 degrees and showers. Just like WO in the 80s. Absolutely freezing.

GVGjr
09-05-2019, 02:40 PM
25km p/h S/W winds 13 degrees and showers. Just like WO in the 80s. Absolutely freezing.

And loving it :)

comrade
09-05-2019, 02:50 PM

My young fella probably won't make it beyond half time again....and we live here so we're used to it.

bornadog
09-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Contemplating whether to drive or take the train.

Same here

1eyedog
09-05-2019, 03:15 PM
My young fella probably won't make it beyond half time again....and we live here so we're used to it.

My boy does until half time then gets his iPad, a hotdog and a chocky to get me through the second half. What's with kids today I was standing on milk crates all day at his age.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-05-2019, 08:00 PM

Perfect. Definitely going now. This is going to be the 'match day experience' I pine for.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-05-2019, 08:04 PM
My boy does until half time then gets his iPad, a hotdog and a chocky to get me through the second half. What's with kids today I was standing on milk crates all day at his age.

Just on that, I heard some discussion on the radio that teenagers are not as engaged with live sport the way we were. But then again i look around me on match day and i see a lot of adults looking at their phones and not engaging with each other

HOSE B ROMERO
09-05-2019, 08:19 PM
Looks like there's no speed restrictions on the Western Highway for the weekend. I mean, it's not open season. Limit of 110.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-05-2019, 09:17 PM

Come on1eyedog, better than 5 degrees last year playing in the dark with inferior lighting!

Eastdog
09-05-2019, 09:25 PM
Support from the Ballarat Community comes at the expense of the thousands of long time dedicated members located in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne who are a short train ride in many cases via Southern Cross station to Marvel Stadium.

I’m one of those Eastern suburbs Doggies. Agree difficult for a lot of our fans out our way but good on the ones who will make the trek.

bornadog
09-05-2019, 10:11 PM
I’m one of those Eastern suburbs Doggies. Agree difficult for a lot of our fans out our way but good on the ones who will make the trek.

You should go.

Take the train to Southern Cross, train to Ballarat, buses waiting

Mantis
10-05-2019, 11:09 AM
50mm has fallen in Ballarat in the past 24hrs, and it's still raining.

Pack your gumboots!

comrade
10-05-2019, 11:21 AM

Pack your gumboots!

I can confirm it is absolutely savage here right now.

bornadog
10-05-2019, 11:32 AM

Pack your gumboots!

Less chance of rain tomorrow

Twodogs
10-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Less chance of rain tomorrow

We will still be knee deep in what is left of today's rain!

bornadog
10-05-2019, 11:51 AM
We will still be knee deep in what is left of today's rain!

Easton Wood said the ground is the best playing field in the AFL. Hopefully the rain hasn't effected it too much.

Mantis
10-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Easton Wood said the ground is the best playing field in the AFL. Hopefully the rain hasn't effected it too much.

They've had a third of the yearly rainfall total in Ballarat today. No doubt it's an excellent playing surface, but you would have to think that dropping 50+mm onto the playing surface 24hrs before the game isn't ideal.

westdog54
10-05-2019, 03:07 PM
I can confirm it is absolutely savage here right now.

Bacchus Marsh ain't much better.

It has catted and dogged continuously since about 5pm yesterday.

I don't envy all those braving the conditions.

Eastdog
10-05-2019, 03:22 PM
You should go.

Take the train to Southern Cross, train to Ballarat, buses waiting

Yeah the appeal of 1 or 2 future Bulldog AFL games at Whitten Oval sounds better for me. If it was played at Marvel, MCG or WO I would go.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Good news. Updated weather is for a balmy 14 and only 20% chance of showers. Happy days.

HOSE B ROMERO
10-05-2019, 06:38 PM
Oh and uv rating is moderate.

westdog54
10-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Oh and uv rating is moderate.

Only in Ballarat could you risk frostbite and sunburn on the same day.

comrade
10-05-2019, 07:33 PM
Rain stopped around 3.30pm.

Smads57
11-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Here at the moment - a bit of drizzle about. Wouldn’t want tickets in Eastern Stand as it looks like the westerly wind will push any inclement weather onto the spectators therein

Axe Man
11-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Good day, a little chilly but the rain was never worse than drizzle. Sat in the eastern stand and the wind would have blown the rain on us if it was heavier.

Nice to drink beers in a can although needed a glove to hold the can to avoid frostbite.

Kids loved the activities before the game, met Caesar, got face paint and hair colour.

Was fortunate enough for Easton Wood to give my daughter a footy after the game.

bornadog
12-05-2019, 12:02 AM
I booked a seat thinking I am in the western stand, not knowing it starts on the fence, ie not under cover. I was in row A against the fence, right next to the Lions interchange bench and saw some interesting things. The biggest observation is not having the runners. I think it is an absolute joke the AFL has taken away the runners. Many times the players on the bench were frustrated, trying get on the ground (both teams). Yelling and screaming for players to get off.

At one stage Macrae refused to come off. Wally was calling him but he wanted to stay on. Wally and Dunks ended up at least an extra 5 minutes on the bench screaming for players to come off. Eventually after a goal, Macrae came off and he was stuffed.

For the ilfe of me, why has the AFL stopped runners coming on during a game.

GVGjr
12-05-2019, 08:58 AM
Weather was a bit cold but nowhere near like last year. Far better than I expected
The venue is disappointing though and I wonder if getting just 9,000 to a game is sustainable.

There were insufficient buses to move people to the organised parking areas and to the train station.
I got to the station just 3 minutes before the train was ready to leave. It was just over a 30 minute trip due to heavy traffic.
There just wasn't enough buses or staff