PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned, edition VII 2018 v Gold Coast in Ballarat.

Twodogs
02-05-2018, 12:01 AM
List three things that you learned today
Good things or bad things, come what may
The rest of us will read them all and then say
"What interesting things we've all learned today"
Probably.

Eastdog
06-05-2018, 12:31 AM
Bump

ratsmac
06-05-2018, 09:51 AM
1. Billy Gowers is taking his 2nd chance in the AFL with both hands. He certainly gives us something up forward.

2. McLean is following in Macrae's foot steps and becoming a very reliable footballer. Hard working and honest.

3. The work experience kid operating the scoreboard at Mars stadium yesterday better choose another career path.

LostDoggy
06-05-2018, 10:15 AM
1. More confident we are on the right path. Although we have a long way to go, you can see what our mids, defenders and forwards are all working towards. We might have a few more stinkers in the next month or 2, but I reckon we've got good years ahead of us.
2. Our tackling is back. Great to see so many more tackles sticking.
3. When we start getting a few back from injury, our depth is going to be pretty good.

westbulldog
06-05-2018, 11:01 AM
1. English needs a rest but does anyone have their hand up to replace him ? Witts had 58 hit outs to Boyd and English 19.
2. Gowers and Lipinski could well keep Dickson out of the side.
3. Macrae won that game for us.

LostDoggy
06-05-2018, 11:06 AM
1. English needs a rest but does anyone have their hand up to replace him ? Witts had 58 hit outs to Boyd and English 19.
2. Gowers and Lipinski could well keep Dickson out of the side.
3. Macrae won that game for us.

Losing the hit outs 58-19 looks terrible, but when you win clearances 52-31, does it really matter?

Mofra
06-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Losing the hit outs 58-19 looks terrible, but when you win clearances 52-31, does it really matter?
Post match presser Bevo all but said one of Trengove or Campbell will come in.

1. Lipinski is a very smart forward, classic front and square player at times
2. Macrae is a beast
3. Tom Boyd's stint as an inside mid at VFL level worked. His recovery in the ruck to provide a clearing kick was surprising on a few occasions

bulldogtragic
06-05-2018, 03:50 PM
1. The long term future looks bright, but the next bit might hurt as a tragic.
2. Our foot skills are still poor. Remedial training hasn't fixed it in 18 months, so maybe we need to trade some foot skilled talent in.
3. I thought they'd be a crowd drop off from last year. But not to the extent. Brett Goodes if he's still managing this project might have a hard week of questions with PG and co.

Remi Moses
06-05-2018, 03:57 PM
1.Macrae is elite . He was superb
2 Need to draft in some kicking ( we’re carrying to many average to below )
3. want a DNA test on whether brereton is Crossley’s father

bornadog
06-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Spot on PP, except against the Sandlilands/Fyfe combo :)

bornadog
06-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Questions for the Coach

1. Do we need another big man forward - Schache and keep the duel rucks going as well?
2. Do we keep Naughton, Cordy, Young in and play Wood as a running HBF?
3. How long do we persist with HC - tries his guts out, gets to the ball and undoes his good work.

macca
06-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Questions for the Coach

3. How long do we persist with HC - tries his guts out, gets to the ball and undoes his good work.

Good question . I was wondering about that when he lined up to have a shot for goal , stats showed he has played 28 games. I thought he was having a good game with 2 good goal assists,until he made a few clangers afterwards. One howler where he centered the ball 20 m pass after a good ground mark , slews off side of boot and turns it over to gcs, which fortunately did not result in a goal. Just undoes a lot of his good work

Will he get better after 50 games? Like a shane tuck comparison ? A list spot could have been available to pick a tim Kelly
type mature age in state league

1eyedog
07-05-2018, 04:21 PM

Bevo clearly has no respect for the hit out stat and prefers to back our mids in. I'm starting to think we're interested in a Boyd / Schache 60/40 combo long term.

Ozza
07-05-2018, 05:41 PM
Bevo clearly has no respect for the hit out stat and prefers to back our mids in. I'm starting to think we're interested in a Boyd / Schache 60/40 combo long term.

It was interesting to note that in his press conference, Bevo actually said that we gave up too much of an advantage in the ruck this week, and that we can't give away that much of an advantage again. As has been said from others elsewhere, either Trengove or Campbell should be in this week by the sounds of it.

hujsh
07-05-2018, 05:46 PM
It was interesting to note that in his press conference, Bevo actually said that we gave up too much of an advantage in the ruck this week, and that we can't give away that much of an advantage again. As has been said from others elsewhere, either Trengove or Campbell should be in this week by the sounds of it.
Those comments sound like more of a Campbell endorsement than anything to me.

Ghost Dog
07-05-2018, 06:05 PM
I'd like to see Tom Campbell come back in for English. Less of an upside to him around the ground, but he is switchable to be a decent forward ( at least as workable as Redpath ). While I respect Hunter as a player, worry about a lack of leadership down back. Just used to having a ton of leadership down there, Matt Boyd, Mozz ,Easton, Murph, now all gone.

Ozza
07-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Those comments sound like more of a Campbell endorsement than anything to me.

Bevo said something along the lines of 'hopefully they will both have strong games in the VFL' hinting at the ongoing theme of picking 'form' players. On that basis, would be surprised if Trengove didn't get picked (from the sounds of it he was better than Campbell).

Twodogs
07-05-2018, 07:17 PM
I'd like to see Tom Campbell come back in for English. Less of an upside to him around the ground, but he is switchable to be a decent forward ( at least as workable as Redpath ). While I respect Hunter as a player, worry about a lack of leadership down back. Just used to having a ton of leadership down there, Matt Boyd, Mozz ,Easton, Murph, now all gone.

It's gone from the Men's Dept to the Teenage Fashion Section.

Flamethrower
07-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Interesting to note that in the Richmond v Freo game, Sandi dominated the hit outs and hit outs to advantage, and Freo dominated the clearances - Freo scored 4 goals and they lost by 13 goals.

Backs up Bevos mantra about the irrelevance of tap ruckmen today.

bornadog
07-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Interesting to note that in the Richmond v Freo game, Sandi dominated the hit outs and hit outs to advantage, and Freo dominated the clearances - Freo scored 4 goals and they lost by 13 goals.

Backs up Bevos mantra about the irrelevance of tap ruckmen today.

We lost the hitouts but won clearances, centre clearances, stoppages and cont.poss.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2018, 09:51 PM
We lost the hitouts but won clearances, centre clearances, stoppages and cont.poss.

And the game.

Twodogs
07-05-2018, 11:51 PM
And the game.

Did Hunter win the toss as well? He likes a bet so we should have. If we didn't Lachie could have gone double or nothing on another toss.

The Underdog
08-05-2018, 08:16 AM

Given he doesn’t play down back per se, I’m not sure that Hunter should be held responsible for leadership in that area. On the weekend I would have said Suckling and Cordy were the 2 most experienced defenders.

bulldogtragic
08-05-2018, 09:19 AM
Did Hunter win the toss as well? He likes a bet so we should have. If we didn't Lachie could have gone double or nothing on another toss.

Nah he lost it. He's more a 'two up' guy I think in terms of expertise. Needs to work in the single coin aspect of things.