PDA

View Full Version : Back to the future.

Twodogs
11-05-2018, 10:23 PM
AFL games are getting closer to being held at Whitten Oval. It looks like we are going to build it, hopefully a few more come than came on Saturday.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-05-11/back-to-the-future

Then I'd be happy to see a double header. I don't like it at all when Footscray play at Etihad. Grand Finals excepted.

SonofScray
12-05-2018, 09:04 AM
It'd be an amazing feat to have footy back at WO at this level. I waste a lot of time thinking about how it could look and what features would hold its nostalgic appeal. 20k Doggies fans at home in a real parochial, cauldron like atmosphere would make my heart sing.

That being said, I love it as it is in some ways. Great for VFL and AFLW, if it could be improved along those lines, for crowds of 10k with good standing terraces and accessibility for the elderly and disabled, a decent scoreboard as originally described by PG, and a redesigned Whitten stand, that'd go well too.

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 09:21 AM
It'd be an amazing feat to have footy back at WO at this level. I waste a lot of time thinking about how it could look and what features would hold its nostalgic appeal. 20k Doggies fans at home in a real parochial, cauldron like atmosphere would make my heart sing.

That being said, I love it as it is in some ways. Great for VFL and AFLW, if it could be improved along those lines, for crowds of 10k with good standing terraces and accessibility for the elderly and disabled, a decent scoreboard as originally described by PG, and a redesigned Whitten stand, that'd go well too.

I'd be happy with either. It looks half finished ATM though. We can't just leave it like that.

ledge
12-05-2018, 10:31 AM
I'm very hesitant to think it will but I do believe VFL and the Women's games are superb there. I see practice matches being played there though.
The outer wing would have to be built up again , let's face it old Optus oval has more going for it and they won't play AFL again.

Eastdog
13-05-2018, 12:41 AM
Was one of the almost 10K at the game there in 2015 along with my Pies supporting brother. Great to beat the Tigers but the Libba knee injury was heartbreaking though.

Would be great to play one home game there each year. It is well serviced by the train and bus with West Footscray Station just on its doorstep. It is at VFL standard but needs a bit more work to get to AFL standard.

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 01:40 AM
TBH I would be happy with a practice match there once a year preseason. I think if we played the same team in the first practice match each year at WO (especially North or Essendon) we could build into something big. It could even be a precursor to having a regular season game. Show that we can build on the preseason game and turn it into a thing and that builds toward having AFL games back at WO.

But I get the feeling the AFL would put every obstacle in our way and trot out every bullshit excuse as to why it couldn't be done, then why it shouldn't be done. I wouldn't be surprised that the AFL were shocked at how big the crowd was for the Richmond pre season game a couple of years and quietly decided to give us no encouragement to ever do it again.

Eastdog
15-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Was one of the almost 10K at the game there in 2015 along with my Pies supporting brother. Great to beat the Tigers but the Libba knee injury was heartbreaking though.

Would be great to play one home game there each year. It is well serviced by the train and bus with West Footscray Station just on its doorstep. It is at VFL standard but needs a bit more work to get to AFL standard.

Also great to be at Bevo's first game back at Whitten Oval.