PDA

View Full Version : Players you don't rate

soupman
11-05-2018, 11:52 PM
This feels like more of an off-season thread, but seeing as my major nominee played tonight i thought I'd post it now.

Who are the players in the league that you just don't rate. They could be young guys that are always talked up as being the next star, the emerging talent that a clubs supporters can't stop raving about, the trade recruit or the veteran.

My first two nominees are:
Callum Mills.
I think he is so unimpressive. He is not highly skilled and certainly not damaging, an ok mark but a dumb decision maker who often looks like he is caught in the headlights in traffic. They talked him up as being a tough midfielder in the making but really he is Sydney's worst defender. and is so far behind their mids it isn't funny. All of Sydneys other defenders are elite intercept players (Rampe, Grundy), or rebound kings (McVeigh, Lloyd and Jones), and the fact that Towers, Cunningham and Hewitt are all preferred options in the midfield to him says alot. He just doesn't do anythign remarkable, and when he tries, like his effort to get past Cordy at the start of the Grand Final he stuffs it up. Daniel may have size and role limitations but at least he has hurt factor.

Darcy Parish.
The leagues most vanilla midfielder, again like Mills with no hurt factor. Seems to like trying to wind players up by getting in their face a little for a bit of push and shove, which is hilarious as I strongly believe he is the least intimidating player to have played AFL since Brennan Stack. With his 50's womans hairdo and ability to rotate between half forward and the midfield while excelling at neither he is one of the less impressive top 5 draft picks. Just so bland.

jeemak
12-05-2018, 12:15 AM
I called the decision making of Mills out early, tend to agree with a lot of your assessment of him, but players develop at different speeds.

He plays for Sydney, so will be talked up no matter what.

bornadog
12-05-2018, 12:58 AM
I know Rance is talked up alot but I just can't warm to him and don't rate him as a GREAT fullback. He looks sloppy, and yes he gets the job done but the way he is raved about, I just can't see it.

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 01:10 AM
I know Rance is talked up alot but I just can't warm to him and don't rate him as a GREAT fullback. He looks sloppy, and yes he gets the job done but the way he is raved about, I just can't see it.

Me either. His direct opponents used to kick a lot of goals. In this Richmond team he's covered better but they still get a few.

He's easy to put off his game too. He gets sucked in over silly things. Was it him who was arguing with a crowd member one time.

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 02:53 AM
I've never seen what the big fuss made about Paddy McArtin was about. He runs to bad spots, he's very clumsy, falls over in contests a lot, and the seven concussions since 2014 can't be good. I also worry about him being a diabetic. Dale Weightman is the only player I've seen overcome that.

merantau
12-05-2018, 07:17 AM
Jack Silvagni is playing in the twos now. I never thought he was up to much but was a media sensation for a few games until even Bwruce got off him.

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Jack Silvagni is playing in the twos now. I never thought he was up to much but was a media sensation for a few games until even Bwruce got off him.

That's a good formula.

I don't rate anyone that Bruce rates.

westdog54
12-05-2018, 09:19 AM
I've never seen what the big fuss made about Paddy McArtin was about. He runs to bad spots, he's very clumsy, falls over in contests a lot, and the seven concussions since 2014 can't be good. I also worry about him being a diabetic. Dale Weightman is the only player I've seen overcome that.

Sam Reid says hello.

soupman
12-05-2018, 09:24 AM

I'm more worried about the fact he gets concussed every second game. Tbf I think the football world at large, including St.Kilda fans, are sceptical about him. Not sure slow limited key forwards are that valuable in todays game, and aside from having a good overhead mark McCartin lacks other tricks.

That's a good formula.

I don't rate anyone that Bruce rates.

Even Rioli? Maybe you don't rate him as highly as Bruce, but surely you rate him.

Greystache
12-05-2018, 10:12 AM

Jamie Cripps from West Coast has it, he's played 126 games so far as a forward/mid and has an impressive tank. Mcartin just looks like a bush league footballer who strolled in off the farm and found out AFL footy is harder than he expected.

Greystache
12-05-2018, 10:20 AM
Callum Mills.
I think he is so unimpressive. He is not highly skilled and certainly not damaging, an ok mark but a dumb decision maker who often looks like he is caught in the headlights in traffic. They talked him up as being a tough midfielder in the making but really he is Sydney's worst defender. and is so far behind their mids it isn't funny. All of Sydneys other defenders are elite intercept players (Rampe, Grundy), or rebound kings (McVeigh, Lloyd and Jones), and the fact that Towers, Cunningham and Hewitt are all preferred options in the midfield to him says alot. He just doesn't do anythign remarkable, and when he tries, like his effort to get past Cordy at the start of the Grand Final he stuffs it up. Daniel may have size and role limitations but at least he has hurt factor.

He seems to be tracking towards being the next Rhys Palmer, including the obligatory rising star award given to any non-Victorian player who looks like they're vaguely familiar with the sport in their first year.

Let's hope he can make a similar contribution in a prelim final against us some day!

ledge
12-05-2018, 10:24 AM
After we beat Carlton even the commentators announced Jack Silvagni is only on a list due to his name.
In saying that I think Peter Fosters son only got on a list for the same reason.
You definitley get a heads up if your a father son and depending on how good your dad was the commentators seem to lift the sons football talent.

bulldogtragic
12-05-2018, 10:34 AM
Jake Stringer:

Had one good year. Soft at the contest and man. Flys for mark of the week 5 times a game, but has never held one. Only reliable goal source is cheapies, aka Jenkins goals. Never going to be a midfielder. Shit bloke, bad apple, awful chewbacca tattoo, poor trainer and all round 'empty package'.

comrade
12-05-2018, 12:01 PM
Jake Stringer:

Had one good year. Soft at the contest and man. Flys for mark of the week 5 times a game, but has never held one. Only reliable goal source is cheapies, aka Jenkins goals. Never going to be a midfielder. Shit bloke, bad apple, awful chewbacca tattoo, poor trainer and all round 'empty package'.

I mean, it’s hard to disagree with any of that.

ledge
12-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Jake Stringer:

Sad thing is he does have it all but just doesn't click, although I don't think his tank could improve and 5 min in the middle and he is blowing big time.
How much time he has to mature and will he ever see it before it's too late is the question.

The Adelaide Connection
12-05-2018, 12:18 PM
This is a more “overrated” than “don’t rate at all” and a bit controversial, but I nominate Dustin Martin. There, I said it.

Sure he is powerful and bounces off of blokes. Sure he is a tricky forward matchup and can kick a few goals here or there. But if Dusty is getting 30 kicks you can bet your bottom dollar that 15 are going to land in the bread basket of the opposition. It’s one thing to fend a bloke off but if you turn it straight back over more often than not I don’t think you should be polling three votes in the Brownlow.

Top 20 or so in the league? Sure, I’ll accept that. But the best player in the league? Not for mine.

Sedat
12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
He seems to be tracking towards being the next Rhys Palmer, including the obligatory rising star award given to any non-Victorian player who looks like they're vaguely familiar with the sport in their first year.

Let's hope he can make a similar contribution in a prelim final against us some day!
I personally loved Mills' contribution in the 2016 GF every bit as much as Palmer's in the 2016 PF

ratsmac
12-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. This could be harsh because he is still a young man but the way the media has jumped on him you'd think he was better than Eddie Betts. He constantly gets caught trying to do too much and he's a terrible kick.

While I'm kicking the Bumbers, Mark Baguley. For a defender he makes a lot of mistakes which result in goals. How he gets a game every week in an AFL side is staggering.

Greystache
12-05-2018, 12:31 PM
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti. This could be harsh because he is still a young man but the way the media has jumped on him you'd think he was better than Eddie Betts. He constantly gets caught trying to do too much and he's a terrible kick.

While I'm kicking the Bumbers, Mark Baguley. For a defender he makes a lot of mistakes which result in goals. How he gets a game every week in an AFL side is staggering.

It's interesting one, he's the same age and played in the same TAC Cup team as Jack Macrae. Macrae is tracking at Brownlow pace and AMT is struggling to get a game, yet their media profile and the acclaim they receive is about equal.

westdog54
12-05-2018, 01:14 PM
It's interesting one, he's the same age and played in the same TAC Cup team as Jack Macrae. Macrae is tracking at Brownlow pace and AMT is struggling to get a game, yet their media profile and the acclaim they receive is about equal.

There's a few factors at play with AMT:

1) He was a source of excitement in their ban year and that's stuck.
2) He takes players on and has good defensive pressure.
3) BT loves him, and as such everyone takes notice.

TBH I wish Jack had kept under the radar a bit longer. The secret is starting to get out and teams will start putting more work into him.

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 01:19 PM
There's a few factors at play with AMT:

1) He was a source of excitement in their ban year and that's stuck.
2) He takes players on and has good defensive pressure.
3) BT loves him, and as such everyone takes notice.

TBH I wish Jack had kept under the radar a bit longer. The secret is starting to get out and teams will start putting more work into him.

Bulldogtragic is an influential poster, I will give you that. But I haven't noticed carrying on about AMT overly.

Anyway I've PM'd him and told him him what you said-a broad outline anyway-and asked him to stop laying it on so thick.

ratsmac
12-05-2018, 01:34 PM

I did not realise that fact. Wow.

Happy Days
12-05-2018, 02:04 PM
Nakia Cockatoo - what has he actually ever done (apart from his hamstring)

He plays with a ridiculous level of over-confidence and is constantly trying to duck and weave around guys, with a very low success rate, and he is not overly quick or agile. His skills are only fair, and he doesn't really win any footy (career high disposal count is 15). He's also a middling finisher (25.23 career tally), which he doubles down on by being a pretty selfish player.

But in spite of all of this he's a top 5 player at the Cats according to some (Lloyd).

Agree on Parish - he's just so uninspiring.

Happy Days
12-05-2018, 02:05 PM

It's because he's dating Billy Brownless' daughter, and Billy has clearly put it to his buddies (i.e: the guys who call every single game of footy) to put wraps on him.

I actually heard Brayshaw say "gee he's just such a ripper kid" a couple of weeks ago.

LostDoggy
12-05-2018, 02:39 PM

As an aside, I saw a Fox Footy show the other day when Leigh Montagna had a little segment that asked him to name the 5 best midfielders this year. His 5 were Fyfe, Martin, Macrae, Cripps and Mitchell (can't remember order, but Fyfe was #1). Pretty good list I thought, good to see Jack starting to get included in elite lists.

LostDoggy
12-05-2018, 02:44 PM
Apologies for picking low hanging fruit, but this thread wouldn't be complete without Brendan Goddard's inclusion. Would be amongst the highest paid AFL players of the last 10-15 years, but has made a career out of playing 30 metres off the ball, waiting for a cheapie and waving his arms about, impersonating an 'architect'. Former #1 pick who actually showed something for a year or 2 at StKilda but for years has avoided the heavy work or running to positions that require him to take responsibility.

ledge
12-05-2018, 03:29 PM
Liam jones anyone ?

bulldogtragic
12-05-2018, 05:57 PM
Bulldogtragic is an influential poster, I will give you that. But I haven't noticed carrying on about AMT overly.

Anyway I've PM'd him and told him him what you said-a broad outline anyway-and asked him to stop laying it on so thick.

Sorry all. Back to my Stringer nomination, comfortably in the worsts in a loss to Carlton (winless kids). 14 disposals, 2 marks, no goals, and jeered by Essendon fans for touching the ball in the dying minutes. I almost feel sorry for their fans, and their club for giving us anything at the trade table. This could be the one that Dodoro might have to actually take heat on. But I bullshit, there's no sorrow at all for any of them.

macca
13-05-2018, 02:12 AM
Patton dropped this weak. Soft as , and is struggling for form in team with a midfield gone to pooh. Without Greene ( who hits everyone) and Cameron and swaps the soft as butter poition with Lobb in the forward line for a chopout. Could not be happier with his progress. Totally opposite to Tom, who has to play Ruck and get smashed, and then in the forward line, most physical posito

ledge
13-05-2018, 07:14 AM
I would put most of Essendons list in this thread and the whole Essendon football club in general,especially Dodoro in the most over rated in everything not just players.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 09:47 AM
I would put most of Essendons list in this thread and the whole Essendon football club in general,especially Dodoro in the most over rated in everything not just players.

Yep. His #1 draft pick, McGrath, was dropped this week but not a skerrick of the normal media scrutiny....

GVGjr
13-05-2018, 10:26 AM
Yep. His #1 draft pick, McGrath, was dropped this week but not a skerrick of the normal media scrutiny....

Carlton also dropped Weitering as well a couple of weeks back.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 10:41 AM

Yep and I've seen a lot more media scrutiny on Weitering and Carlton's list than McGrath and Essendon's list, which goes to my point about Essendon and Dodoro seemingly being less scrutinised/criticised than others (which is probably a good thing actually as it allows them to wallow around in self delusion about what great shape their list is in/what great recruiting they're doing).

The Adelaide Connection
13-05-2018, 10:52 AM
Yep and I've seen a lot more media scrutiny on Weitering and Carlton's list than McGrath and Essendon's list, which goes to my point about Essendon and Dodoro seemingly being less scrutinised/criticised than others (which is probably a good thing actually as it allows them to wallow around in self delusion about what great shape their list is in/what great recruiting they're doing).

Especially pertinent when one side was widely predicted as top four, while the other was almost unanimously touted as spooners or thereabouts.

merantau
13-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Was listening to ABC radio yesterday and Mark Maclure was scathing in his assessment of Stringer's lack of effort. Cutting him loose was the right decision based on what we've seen on the field this year let alone any other considerations.

Happy Days
13-05-2018, 12:12 PM

He belongs in this thread too. The softest player I have ever seen.

jeemak
13-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Was listening to ABC radio yesterday and Mark Maclure was scathing in his assessment of Stringer's lack of effort. Cutting him loose was the right decision based on what we've seen on the field this year let alone any other considerations.

While I agree with him on Stinger, he also said Liam Jones is a fantastic player.....

I personally think Maclure talks a lot of BS.

ledge
13-05-2018, 12:36 PM
While I agree with him on Stinger, he also said Liam Jones is a fantastic player.....

I love Maclure whether wrong or right at least he doesn't sit on the fence and give the usual one liners.
He tells it how he sees it, no sugar coating.

bornadog
13-05-2018, 12:50 PM

Maclure tells it how it is, he is a miserable old bastard, but I love listening to him.

mjp
13-05-2018, 09:42 PM
My first two nominees are:
Callum Mills.
Darcy Parish.

I don't mind the thread but we are talking about 2x 3rd year players here. I agree that both are 'vanilla' players - but Mills is fearless and Parish very hard running...I guess I understand the 'hate' for Mills given he is an undoubted media 'darling' but Parish is just a young mid trying to make his way in an outmatched midfield...

Both are OK.

boydogs
15-05-2018, 02:07 AM
Surprised Lewis Taylor hasn't rated a mention. Runs around in circles all day. Nice handball to Bailey Dale standing the mark last week too

westdog54
15-05-2018, 04:33 PM
Surprised Lewis Taylor hasn't rated a mention. Runs around in circles all day. Nice handball to Bailey Dale standing the mark last week too

But, but, but ... Lewis Taylor won the rising star!! He's better than Bontempelli!!

jeemak
15-05-2018, 04:41 PM
Maclure tells it how it is, he is a miserable old bastard, but I love listening to him.

Telling it how you see it versus telling it how it is are two very different things.........I think he does the former overwhelmingly, but each to their own.

G-Mo77
15-05-2018, 04:52 PM

When things like that happen it disappoints me to see our players not rub it in and give him an earful. Their "Tough" guys went after our kids all game, when we have a chance to let our opponents have it we don't. I'd love to see a lot more mongrel in these boys and that was an opportunity to really rub their noses in it.

And yeah Lewis Taylor is rubbish.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Telling it how you see it versus telling it how it is are two very different things.........I think he does the former overwhelmingly, but each to their own.

It's like "speaking your mind" as opposed to just saying the first thing that comes into your head. A lot of people (often including the speakers themselves) confuse one for the other.

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 05:08 PM

Gary Cowton stretched doing pretty much that into a 200+ game career.

Axe Man
15-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Neither of those statements are true. Tipungwuti played for Gippsland and Macrae for Oakleigh. Macrae is 16 months younger. I don't get the comparison at all. One is a top ten draft pick and the other came through the rookie draft via the VFL.

Yes quick exciting indigenous players tend to get hyped up by the media more than their actual output probably deserves, but really who cares?

Greystache
15-05-2018, 05:26 PM
Neither of those statements are true. Tipungwuti played for Gippsland and Macrae for Oakleigh. Macrae is 16 months younger. I don't get the comparison at all. One is a top ten draft pick and the other came through the rookie draft via the VFL.

I meant to write played in the same TAC cup grand final. They were on opposing teams in that game and came through the TAC Cup competition at the same time. In the video of Macrae kicking the match winning point Tipungwuti was in the play.

The comparison was he was described as a young man. I wouldn't describe Jack Macrae as a young man beyond criticism due to his age, and they came through the ranks at the same time.

Yes quick exciting indigenous players tend to get hyped up by the media more than their actual output probably deserves, but really who cares?

You care clearly? Are you looking for some outrage?

Axe Man
15-05-2018, 06:55 PM
I meant to write played in the same TAC cup grand final. They were on opposing teams in that game and came through the TAC Cup competition at the same time. In the video of Macrae kicking the match winning point Tipungwuti was in the play.

The comparison was he was described as a young man. I wouldn't describe Jack Macrae as a young man beyond criticism due to his age, and they came through the ranks at the same time.

You care clearly? Are you looking for some outrage?

You compared the media attention the two get. My only point was who cares who the media choose to over-hype and who they choose to comparatively ignore. It's been going on forever. Macrae is getting plenty of attention now anyway.

As for your last line I honestly don't know what you are getting at.

Greystache
15-05-2018, 07:15 PM
You compared the media attention the two get. My only point was who cares who the media choose to over-hype and who they choose to comparatively ignore. It's been going on forever. Macrae is getting plenty of attention now anyway.

As for your last line I honestly don't know what you are getting at.

Perhaps you should check the post I was replying to.

You'll note the reference to the media attention and that fact that he was described as young. I pointed out the two players came through the same elite pathway at the same time, and I wouldn't describe either as young.

Axe Man
15-05-2018, 07:31 PM
Your post changed after I first read it and still has ratsmac's name on my quote. Any wonder I'm confused. I'll leave it there.

merantau
17-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Gary Cowton stretched doing pretty much that into a 200+ game career.

My favourite Cowton story:

Barassi (screaming): "Cowton, are you ignorant or are you just apathetic?"
Cowton: "I don't know and I don't care."

azabob
21-05-2018, 11:58 PM
Jamie Cripps from West Coast has it, he's played 126 games so far as a forward/mid and has an impressive tank. Mcartin just looks like a bush league footballer who strolled in off the farm and found out AFL footy is harder than he expected.

Nathan Bassett also.

Apparently when Saints drafted Cripps they didn’t know he had diabetes. Talk about lack of research.

Sedat
22-05-2018, 12:31 AM
My favourite Cowton story:

Barassi (screaming): "Cowton, are you ignorant or are you just apathetic?"
Cowton: "I don't know and I don't care."
Pretty sure that was Brent Croswell, who was a prodigiously talented footballer (I just missed his playing peak). He was so good and so casual that the Geoff Hayward character from The Club was based on him.

westdog54
22-05-2018, 01:00 AM
Pretty sure that was Brent Croswell, who was a prodigiously talented footballer (I just missed his playing peak). He was so good and so casual that the Geoff Hayward character from The Club was based on him.

'Tiger' is also very intelligent and quick witted. I could easily believe that story.

Mofra
22-05-2018, 09:44 AM
He had 30m gained at halftime against us. From over 10 possessions.

30m.

If a player could ever be accused of being a crab, it's Taylor. He's the absolute opposite of Bailey Williams who started his career with no fanfare, took a couple of years to get established, and right now is one of the top metres gained players in the competition.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 10:03 AM
He had 30m gained at halftime against us. From over 10 possessions.

30m.

If a player could ever be accused of being a crab, it's Taylor. He's the absolute opposite of Bailey Williams who started his career with no fanfare, took a couple of years to get established, and right now is one of the top metres gained players in the competition.

and he is still only 20 years old.

The Doctor
22-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Bailey Dale

Have been very unimpressed by him particularly this year. He's just not doing enough and he's been around long enough.

For a player who plays high half forward/wing and has played every game this year here are some telling stats
- averaging just 15 possessions a game this year
- kicked only 6 goals (& 10 behinds)
- laid only 7 tackles.
- ranks near the bottom for 1% er's
- ranks near the bottom for Inside 50 entries
- has had more clangers than Luke Dahlhaus despite having only about 2/3's of the ball and in less contested situations
- similar clanger count to Honeychurch and Gowers. Same amount of clangers as Macrae but from 165 less possessions

So he's not having much scoring impact and his defensive work is well below par. He only needs to look at his fellow draftees toby Mclean (56 tackles) or even Lucas Webb (13 tackles from 4 games) as an example.

At this stage of his career he should be producing better numbers than this if he is to be a regular in the senior side.

soupman
22-05-2018, 11:22 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for one of our own to feature in this thread.

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 11:24 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for one of our own to feature in this thread.

58 posts, not bad.

craigsahibee
22-05-2018, 01:16 PM

State League Player at best.

1eyedog
22-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Like Bevo I don't rate tap ruckmen. I don't think the Goldstein's or Jacobs' of this world do enough around the ground to be considered elite footballers. Nic Nat is effective around the ground, Scotty Wynd was.

Hit out stats are grey yet inflate SC and DT numbers.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 02:21 PM
Like Bevo I don't rate tap ruckmen. I don't think the Goldstein's or Jacobs' of this world do enough around the ground to be considered elite footballers. Nic Nat is effective around the ground, Scotty Wynd was.

Hit out stats are grey yet inflate SC and DT numbers.

Jacobs 5 disposals on Friday, 54 hitouts

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 02:24 PM
Jacobs 5 disposals on Friday, 40 hitouts

That's Peter Street territory.

Mantis
22-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Jacobs 5 disposals on Friday, 40 hitouts

How many effective HO's?

In a territory game I thought his ability to palm the ball to his mids was pretty important... the fact that our rucks allowed him to get front position at boundary throw-ins was an important factor too.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 03:36 PM
How many effective HO's?

In a territory game I thought his ability to palm the ball to his mids was pretty important... the fact that our rucks allowed him to get front position at boundary throw-ins was an important factor too.

Is it worth having a ruckman just for hitouts, or do you want someone that can contribute around the ground?

PS: His actual hitouts were 54, my mistake.

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 03:41 PM
Is it worth having a ruckman just for hitouts, or do you want someone that can contribute around the ground?

PS: His actual hitouts were 54, my mistake.

Did he have 40 to advantage?

bornadog
22-05-2018, 04:15 PM
Did he have 40 to advantage?

No my mistake, the 40 hitouts was to 3/4 time. He had 54 in total not sure to advantage, I need to check

bornadog
22-05-2018, 04:36 PM
No my mistake, the 40 hitouts was to 3/4 time. He had 54 in total not sure to advantage, I need to check

ok, just checked the stats. Jacobs 54 hitouts and 9 to advantage. Boyd 23, and 2, Roughead 17 and 2

I would have thought from 54, 9 is not brilliant

Axe Man
22-05-2018, 04:45 PM
ok, just checked the stats. Jacobs 54 hitouts and 9 to advantage. Boyd 23, and 2, Roughead 17 and 2

I would have thought from 54, 9 is not brilliant

You are correct. That's a hit out to advantage rate of 16.7%, his season average is 23.2%. Maybe down due to the conditions. Still a better rate than our ruckmen though.

1eyedog
22-05-2018, 04:45 PM
How many effective HO's?

Effective hit outs are counted when your team gets first hands on the ball. It is still counted as effective even if you are tackled immediately forcing another bounce. You can load up on this stat without having the slightest influence on a game. All the best ruckmen dominate around the ground. Grundy is a burgeoning example. Jacobs is crap.

Happy Days
22-05-2018, 05:20 PM
Effective hit outs are counted when your team gets first hands on the ball. It is still counted as effective even if you are tackled immediately forcing another bounce. You can load up on this stat without having the slightest influence on a game. All the best ruckmen dominate around the ground. Grundy is a burgeoning example. Jacobs is crap.

Hey how about a thread for players you do rate? Grundy is amazing, he has the best skills from a ruckman going and is just brutal in contested situations. Can't wait for him to mess us up on Friday.

bornadog
22-05-2018, 05:30 PM
Hey how about a thread for players you do rate? Grundy is amazing, he has the best skills from a ruckman going and is just brutal in contested situations. Can't wait for him to mess us up on Friday.

The one thing the umpires let him get away with is wrapping his arms around the opposition ruck at the boundary throw ins. I really detest that. Just watch him on Friday.

jazzadogs
22-05-2018, 05:48 PM
Jack Darling was at the top of this list for me going into this season, but he's proved me wrong thus far. Taking contested marks, kicking goals and setting them up too. No longer squibbing the overhead ball!

Twodogs
22-05-2018, 07:05 PM
Jack Darling was at the top of this list for me going into this season, but he's proved me wrong thus far. Taking contested marks, kicking goals and setting them up too. No longer squibbing the overhead ball!

And he's faced up to terrifying dilemma that playing on the same ground as Josh Dunkley poses him for whatever reason.

Oh how we laughed.

Mofra
30-05-2018, 09:42 AM
This is not a player per se as individually they are incredible but - the starting trio of Danger, Selwood and Ablett.

Individually they are all the elite of the competition, although Ablett has slowed considerably. Combined they are worse than the sum of their parts. Three ball hunters in a modern game where one midfielder has to be accountable for the opposition star and/or block for the others and sacrifice their own game. Who of that trio would sacrifice their game for the others? Selwood is a gun inside mid so you'd probably want him hunting the ball to feed out to one of the other two, and Danger and Ablett sure as hell aren't blocking for anyone else.

It's no accident that Geelong's midfield works best when either Ablett or Dangerfiled (or both) rest forward.
Plus, they have the only ruck division in the competition as bad as ours which means they aren't maximizing the value of the three anyway.

Twodogs
30-05-2018, 09:48 AM
This is not a player per se as individually they are incredible but - the starting trio of Danger, Selwood and Ablett.

Individually they are all the elite of the competition, although Ablett has slowed considerably. Combined they are worse than the sum of their parts. Three ball hunters in a modern game where one midfielder has to be accountable for the opposition star and/or block for the others and sacrifice their own game. Who of that trio would sacrifice their game for the others? Selwood is a gun inside mid so you'd probably want him hunting the ball to feed out to one of the other two, and Danger and Ablett sure as hell aren't blocking for anyone else.

It's no accident that Geelong's midfield works best when either Ablett or Dangerfiled (or both) rest forward.
Plus, they have the only ruck division in the competition as bad as ours which means they aren't maximizing the value of the three anyway.

Meh! If his name was Gary Smith junior he would never had been allowed to play the game on his own terms the way Ablett has. He puts in when he wants to and let's his teammates down. He should have been sacked by Gold Coast at least twice. It was only his surname that saved him.