PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned, edition VIII 2018 v Brisbane

Twodogs
12-05-2018, 02:33 PM
There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know.

OK, what were your unknowns that you didn't know before the game that you know are known knowns now?

Tell us X 3.

GVGjr
12-05-2018, 09:41 PM
Bump

comrade
12-05-2018, 11:10 PM
1. Gowers has replaced Stringer’s output without the off field ****headedness and so we have won the trade by a mile.

2. Dahl is the worst kick in the entire league bar none.

3. Toby McLean is an utter jet and will push AA this year if the selectors had a clue.

Sedat
12-05-2018, 11:14 PM
1. Gowers has replaced Stringer’s output without the off field ****headedness and so we have won the trade by a mile.
And at about 20% of Stringer's wage

westbulldog
12-05-2018, 11:17 PM
1. I cannot fathom why Honeychurch, Webb and Crozier are in the team.
2. The MC is mystifying, why do we not have another ruckman so Tom Boyd can play 70% forward.
3. If Brownlow voting stopped after this weekend, Jack Macrae is the winner.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-05-2018, 11:44 PM
1. I cannot fathom why Honeychurch, Webb and Crozier are in the team.
2. The MC is mystifying, why do we not have another ruckman so Tom Boyd can play 70% forward.
3. If Brownlow voting stopped after this weekend, Jack Macrae is the winner.

HC, Webb and Crozier are in the team because Wood Morris Picken and Liberatore are all injured.
Boyd is in the ruck because of the unavailability of Roughead and a reluctance to play Campbell or Trengrove.
Agree on Macrae who has been outstanding.

MrMahatma
12-05-2018, 11:52 PM
1. We've been lucky with our draw cause we've had poor opposition to make us look good in recent weeks.
2. Depth is a myth. For every injured player we have, there's someone playing who isn't good enough.
3. I have no concerns being lucky with the draw, getting a few blokes back in the next fortnight, turning the bye at 5-6 but sneaking into the finals and stealing the flag in an epic GF against Richmond

FrediKanoute
12-05-2018, 11:54 PM
1. The one ruck option worked tonight, but the price was coherence in the forward line;

2. Jack Macrae is the best player in his draft

3. Toby MacLean is more than just a half forward flanker

Mofra
12-05-2018, 11:55 PM
1. Dunkley is not a ruck. We gave up a a couple of easy goals to the Lions in the first half by not having a ruck to help Boyd.
2. Our stars have risen - Macrae is another level, McLean ditto, Bont was dangerous all night
3. Dahl must be playing hurt. Couldn't believe he had 16 touches (3 kicks), seemed like he had about 5.

Twodogs
13-05-2018, 12:09 AM
1. We've been lucky with our draw cause we've had poor opposition to make us look good in recent weeks.
2. Depth is a myth. For every injured player we have, there's someone playing who isn't good enough.
3. I have no concerns being lucky with the draw, getting a few blokes back in the next fortnight, turning the bye at 5-6 but sneaking into the finals and stealing the flag in an epic GF against Richmond

You, my friend, are living in lala land. I usually agree with what you say but if you think that Richmond will make the Grand Final this year you will be wrong.

We will play Essendon in the Grand Final this year obviously. You must have read in the media that Essendon will improve out of sight so they must make the Grand Final. They will go in as massive favourites against us as they always do in a big match because they are Essendon. And we will knock them over as we always do in an epic cliff hanger because we are Footscray (FC trading as the Western Bulldogs)!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
13-05-2018, 12:19 AM
Roman numerals give the post gravitas

bornadog
13-05-2018, 12:52 AM
1. Mclean is a beauty and now taken over the mantel of most underrated from Macrae.

2. Forget hitouts winning clearances and stoppages along with cont.poss is what it is all about.

3. We can kick a big score when we have to

ratsmac
13-05-2018, 01:26 AM
1. Mclean is a beauty and now taken over the mantel of most underrated from Macrae.

2. Forget hitouts winning clearances and stoppages along with cont.poss is what it is all about.

3. We can kick a big score when we have to

That is a very pleasing sign but it's concerning that we can leak so many goals also. With Wood Morris and Adams hopefully returning soon it should help sure up things down back.

ratsmac
13-05-2018, 01:45 AM
1. This young group have a fighting spirit. The last 2 weeks the opposition have taken it right up to us and we have found a way. Great signs.

2. Jack Macrae may well be more important to our team than dare I say it... Bontempelli.

3. Using Boyd as a one out Ruckman worked for us tonight. I'm not sure we should go with that plan next week against the Crows though.

westbulldog
13-05-2018, 03:47 AM
HC, Webb and Crozier are in the team because Wood Morris Picken and Liberatore are all injured.
Boyd is in the ruck because of the unavailability of Roughead and a reluctance to play Campbell or Trengrove

Of course we are well aware of those points I was just re-gurgitating them, add Adams, so let me re-phrase the first "Honeychurch, Webb and Crozier would not be in the team but for injuries - ok with that ?

SonofScray
13-05-2018, 08:52 AM
I. If the league was played to Olympic football rules, we'd probably win. Our U23s have held up OK under adversity and shown glimmers of a winning football team. Not beating much, but expectations have been tempered a bit.

II. Thomas Boyd has capacity to really grind over four quarters. I like where his form line is heading.

III. Lipinski must be disregarding whatever the goal kicking instructions are and going rogue. 8/8 is a beacon of hope.

SlimPickens
13-05-2018, 08:52 AM
1. Tom Boyd has a high footy IQ, his movement as a forward and they way he players in the middle impressive.

2. Ed Richards never gives up in a contest, the amount of times I thought he was spent only to watch him fight and neutralise/win the contest was awesome.

3. Mitch Wallis is our most underrated player. He was huge last night, the multiple efforts that ended up in a goal to bont should be on repeat throughout the week.

Mantis
13-05-2018, 09:24 AM
1. Tom Boyd has a high footy IQ, his movement as a forward and they way he players in the middle impressive.

2. Ed Richards never gives up in a contest, the amount of times I thought he was spent only to watch him fight and neutralise/win the contest was awesome.

3. Mitch Wallis is our most underrated player. He was huge last night, the multiple efforts that ended up in a goal to bont should be on repeat throughout the week.

Yep, he's a keeper.. for a first year player his ability to stick a tackle is exceptional.

S Coast Simon
13-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Macrae is a workhorse. Just goes about his business

Zorko is a sook. Throws his arms in the air if someone touches him.

Tom Boyd could yet become a great player

Bulldog4life
13-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Yep, he's a keeper.. for a first year player his ability to stick a tackle is exceptional.

Young Ed continues to improve in different facets of the game. In the bests yesterday and close to a vote. Deserves a NAB nomination.....but Ronke will get it this week I presume.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2018, 05:20 PM
1. English, Naughton, Wood, Libba, Adams, Schache, Roughy/Trengove etc. plus a first rounder plus Rhylee West - If we can develop kids to their potential, 2020 should be a good time to be a member if the coaching and tactics develop too.

2. Lipinski's hands are as good as his goal kicking. Perfect. That handball to get the holding the man free in front of goal was as quick as a handball as anyone can make.

3. Tom Boyd is doing the two most physical jobs on the ground effectively by himself, this needs to be fixed. Schache plus English/Roughy/Trengove should still have us flexible with three big guys who can rotate around all areas of the ground. There's three young talented first rounders in that list (picks 1, 2, 19), it would be nice to see them.

Remi Moses
13-05-2018, 05:39 PM
1. Zorko and a few others are very lippy considering how rubbish their team is !
2. Don’t think the “ no ruckman” philosophy is any good
3. Lot of green shoots for the future

bulldogtragic
13-05-2018, 06:37 PM
I didn't learn it. But Hunter could be the dumbest footballer I've ever seen. He's a great athlete, he knows how to rack up touches, but just does dumb things week after week. If he used his 30 touches each week better, we'd be a bit better team overnight.

The Underdog
13-05-2018, 07:43 PM
I didn't learn it. But Hunter could be the dumbest footballer I've ever seen. He's a great athlete, he knows how to rack up touches, but just does dumb things week after week. If he used his 30 touches each week better, we'd be a bit better team overnight.

Mods, can we get a dislike button?

bulldogtragic
13-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Mods, can we get a dislike button?

Really? Lachie to me, at least, seems to be happy to coast to the reasonably high level he's at like Mark McVeigh. I'd love him to raise his game to cut out dinky kicks and dumb or low IQ footy, to raise to another level again like Jarrad McVeigh. There's another level of capability or output improvement in Lachie I'm 100% certain, but I'm not 100% confident we will see it because I see too many MM traits and not enough JM traits. I want to see it as that makes us a better side without anything else happening.

The Underdog
13-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Really? Lachie to me, at least, seems to be happy to coast to the reasonably high level he's at like Mark McVeigh. I'd love him to raise his game to cut out dinky kicks and dumb or low IQ footy, to raise to another level again like Jarrad McVeigh. There's another level of capability or output improvement in Lachie I'm 100% certain, but I'm not 100% confident we will see it because I see too many MM traits and not enough JM traits. I want to see it as that makes us a better side without anything else happening.

One thing I’d never accuse Lachie of is coasting. If he’s not our hardest runner, then he’s top 3. Could he be better by foot? Sure. Is there room for improvement? Definitely. You want to see him get better and improve the team, so do I. But take him out of the team and see what we lose. We’re substantially worse without him.

Happy Days
13-05-2018, 09:44 PM

Not in a world where Stewart Crameri exists.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-05-2018, 10:38 PM
Great call but only off field.
Bulltragic's call is onfield and way too histrionic.

LostDoggy
13-05-2018, 10:41 PM
1. In Macrae we are starting to see the hardness and inside skill of a Libba
2. I like the way Gowers struts his stuff
3. We have played 3 teams who make as many basic turnovers as we do. Not so the teams coming up.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2018, 11:44 PM
One thing I’d never accuse Lachie of is coasting. If he’s not our hardest runner, then he’s top 3. Could he be better by foot? Sure. Is there room for improvement? Definitely. You want to see him get better and improve the team, so do I. But take him out of the team and see what we lose. We’re substantially worse without him.

Must be on different pages. I thought that I said he does dumb things too much for my liking, without any hysteria. I don’t want him out of the side, just improve his between the ear output to his physical output. Who does want him dropped??

Edit: Yes, he is ranked #1 aerobically. But I wasn’t talking about coasting in a running sense.

bulldogtragic
13-05-2018, 11:48 PM

Onfield :D

His fitness is elite. I’d love to see dinky kicks, bad crosses, loopy poor kicks, not killing a ball over a line. They’re dumb errors and I hope like McCrae and others, he can lift his game to the Jarred level of McVeigh lineage.

bornadog
13-05-2018, 11:55 PM

Hunter is the best runner in our team and one of our stars. The game last week against GC, he really took on the responsibility and helped get us over the line. Yesterday had 70% effective disposal and only 2 clangers.

I can't agree he is a dumb footballer.

kruder
14-05-2018, 12:04 AM
Hunter is the best runner in our team and one of our stars. The game last week against GC, he really took on the responsibility and helped get us over the line. Yesterday had 70% effective disposal and only 2 clangers.

I can't agree he is a dumb footballer.

Yep really like how Hunter is maturing loved how he handled the captaincy and continues to be a consistent performer for us. Now somehow we need to get Wood back in form and leading from the front like Hunter and the Bont in the last few weeks.

Mantis
14-05-2018, 09:54 AM

His fitness is elite. I’d love to see dinky kicks, bad crosses, loopy poor kicks, not killing a ball over a line. They’re dumb errors and I hope like McCrae and others, he can lift his game to the Jarred level of McVeigh lineage.

I wouldn't call him dumb, I'd call his kicking 'carefree'... he works his arse with his running ability, but doesn't take enough care with the use of the ball, and we are a worse side because of it, but if/ when he does improve this area he will become an extremely good player... but he is maturing as a player as per his role in the leadership group.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't call him dumb, I'd call his kicking 'carefree'... he works his arse with his running ability, but doesn't take enough care with the use of the ball, and we are a worse side because of it, but if/ when he does improve this area he will become an extremely good player... but he is maturing as a player as per his role in the leadership group.

We were all critical of Macrae and his dinky little round the corner kicks, and boy has he improved. Hunter needs to learn from him

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 10:07 AM
Hunter is a natural footballer. His kicking will improve.

Ozza
14-05-2018, 10:14 AM
Hunter couldn't be further from a dumb footballer. Would be in our top 3 for footy IQ, and has become a player who the coach and players look to for direction out there. Is also brilliant at deciding what to do with his body, or when and how to take possession - when under pressure or about to be tackled. He makes errors from time to time with disposal, on the weekend he made terrible connection with one coming out of defence when he tried to over kick it to get us 'out', and his lack of distance with his kicking hurts him at times when he goes for the longer kick - but like Macrae, his disposal overall has improved noticeably this season, and all you can ask is that they continue to improve their weaknesses, and those two have.

Was interesting on the weekend, with the small crowd in attendance - that I could actually hear his voice from him being on the outer wing at a couple of centre bounces (I sit on the members/access one side level 2), barking instructions to mids and defenders at where they should be at the bounce.

Anyways....this might seem odd after a close win against the bottom side...but what I learnt is that this team has a great opportunity to get another flag. On Saturday night we had 1 player over 25 years of age, which is staggering. But if the average age is around that 22/23 mark - this team has an unbelievable opportunity to put together 60-80 games playing together without to much list turnover, at which point they will be so cohesive and seasoned as a team - that we will be very hard to beat through the first half of the 2020's decade.

I can't wait to see what Richards, Naughton, Lipinski and hopefully Schache can add to McLean, Macrae, Bontempelli, JJ, Boyd, Libba, English, Wally, Hunter, Dunkley, Daniel as the core of the side.

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 10:32 AM
Hunter couldn't be further from a dumb footballer. Would be in our top 3 for footy IQ, and has become a player who the coach and players look to for direction out there. Is also brilliant at deciding what to do with his body, or when and how to take possession - when under pressure or about to be tackled. He makes errors from time to time with disposal, on the weekend he made terrible connection with one coming out of defence when he tried to over kick it to get us 'out', and his lack of distance with his kicking hurts him at times when he goes for the longer kick - but like Macrae, his disposal overall has improved noticeably this season, and all you can ask is that they continue to improve their weaknesses, and those two have.

Was interesting on the weekend, with the small crowd in attendance - that I could actually hear his voice from him being on the outer wing at a couple of centre bounces (I sit on the members/access one side level 2), barking instructions to mids and defenders at where they should be at the bounce.

Anyways....this might seem odd after a close win against the bottom side...but what I learnt is that this team has a great opportunity to get another flag. On Saturday night we had 1 player over 25 years of age, which is staggering. But if the average age is around that 22/23 mark - this team has an unbelievable opportunity to put together 60-80 games playing together without to much list turnover, at which point they will be so cohesive and seasoned as a team - that we will be very hard to beat through the first half of the 2020's decade.

I can't wait to see what Richards, Naughton, Lipinski and hopefully Schache can add to McLean, Macrae, Bontempelli, JJ, Boyd, Libba, English, Wally, Hunter, Dunkley, Daniel as the core of the side.

And Oliver, the other Libba. The kid is special.

Happy Days
14-05-2018, 10:36 AM

To be fair to Stew he was pretty stupid on field as well.

bornadog
14-05-2018, 10:36 AM
And Oliver, the other Libba. The kid is special.

Don't forget Rhlee West

Twodogs
14-05-2018, 10:37 AM
Don't forget Rhlee West

And the Kellet kid can play a bit I've heard.

bulldogtragic
14-05-2018, 11:02 AM

I should’ve posted this. It’s what I’ve clumsly trying to articulate.

jeemak
14-05-2018, 11:59 AM
The moments in which Lachy frustrate me in games seem to be fewer and farther between than they used to - at a time when he is getting more of it consistently which is a really good sign. Ironically it's probably due to him thinking less and not trying to be too clever with the footy when he gets it.

He still needs to be bit more respectful of the footy, particularly with his kicking, but I'm really happy with the player he's becoming.

The Underdog
14-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Must be on different pages. I thought that I said he does dumb things too much for my liking, without any hysteria. I don’t want him out of the side, just improve his between the ear output to his physical output. Who does want him dropped??

Edit: Yes, he is ranked #1 aerobically. But I wasn’t talking about coasting in a running sense.

You were making the point that his improvement from doing dumb things would markedly improve the side. I was just countering with the fact that this side without Lachie as he currently stands is markedly worse.

comrade
14-05-2018, 07:16 PM
Was interesting on the weekend, with the small crowd in attendance - that I could actually hear his voice from

And given we’ll probably finish in the bottom 6 this year once the season shakes out, the top end of this draft is reportedly as good as any year ever. Might just be that extra piece that really ties everything together within a few years.

EasternWest
14-05-2018, 08:47 PM
To be fair to Stew he was pretty stupid on field as well.

Did I miss the memo? Do we hate Crameri now?

bulldogsthru&thru
14-05-2018, 09:11 PM
Not sure if mentioned but fun fact: we were 1 of only 2 teams to score over 100pts this round. Who’d have thought?

AndrewP6
14-05-2018, 09:13 PM
Did I miss the memo? Do we hate Crameri now?

I must've missed it too. I'd rather he was still with us than Honeychurch.

EasternWest
14-05-2018, 11:49 PM
I must've missed it too. I'd rather he was still with us than Honeychurch.

Do we hate Honeychurch too?

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 12:37 AM
Roman numerals give the post gravitas

It looks classy too.

AndrewP6
15-05-2018, 12:40 AM

Don’t hate him, but he must either have some very incriminating photos, or he is related to someone on the match committee.

LostDoggy
15-05-2018, 12:58 AM

Honey is just sugar and church is wierd religious stuff... of course we hate him.....

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 01:10 AM
Honey is just sugar and church is wierd religious stuff... of course we hate him.....

How anyone can hate honey (the food) is beyond me. It's miraculous. It's the only food that never goes off. Earlier in the year they discovered a secret tomb in the pyramids with electtromagnetic equipment. Had been untouched for 3,000 years. There was honey in there, they checked it for spores and fungal infection (of course there is none, honey has antibiotic properties) it was clear so they ate it.

ratsmac
15-05-2018, 01:39 AM
How anyone can hate honey (the food) is beyond me. It's miraculous. It's the only food that never goes off. Earlier in the year they discovered a secret tomb in the pyramids with electtromagnetic equipment. Had been untouched for 3,000 years. There was honey in there, they checked it for spores and fungal infection (of course there is none, honey has antibiotic properties) it was clear so they ate it.
They ate it!! Far out that sounds like something Homer Simpson would do!

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 05:04 AM
They ate it!! Far out that sounds like something Homer Simpson would do!

"Could you pass the ancient honey please Homer? Where did you put it?"

EasternWest
15-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Seconded. I have an instant mistrust of anyone who hates honey.

Ghost Dog
15-05-2018, 12:21 PM
Is Honeychurch our whipping boy now?

Twodogs
15-05-2018, 06:11 PM
Is Honeychurch our whipping boy now?

He shares the Brian Perrin with Lukas Webb at the moment.

And I'd eat the 3,000 year old honey.