PDA

View Full Version : Dale Morris - the statue?

Bulldog Revolution
16-05-2018, 10:35 AM
So traditionally statues have been reserved for superstars, but I've been thinking we should get a Dale Morris Statue at the Whitten Oval.

He's as fine a bulldog as Ive ever seen - the absolute epitome of what we want our players/club to be, in terms of getting the most out of your ability.

If we were to do a series of True Bulldogs Statues to go with Dale - who should also be featured?

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 10:56 AM
May as well put the Bont's up as well while we are at it.

1eyedog
16-05-2018, 11:47 AM
Probably need to consider getting the cast ready for Jack Macrae as well I suppose.

craigsahibee
16-05-2018, 12:56 PM

Perhaps we could use this photo as the template for Dale's statue ;)

Mofra
16-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Dale Morris might just be the toughest Bulldog I've seen. Seriously.

Yeah he doesn't belt blokes, but so what? I have seen him get smashed in marking contests repeatedly yet he still backs back in front of the biggest monsters in the game (who are all bigger and heavier than him).

He played a prelim with a lower leg fracture against the greatest endurance athlete forward of his generation.
He played a Grand Final with two cracked vertebrae in his back and was more than just a mere contributor, at the end laying a huge tackle that gave us the biggest moment of the Grand Final.

I'm not sure if a stand will occur but I'm heavily in favour of some form of recognition for Morris.

craigsahibee
16-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Yeah he doesn't belt blokes, but so what? I have seen him get smashed in marking contests repeatedly yet he still backs back in front of the biggest monsters in the game (who are all bigger and heavier than him).

He played a prelim with a lower leg fracture against the greatest endurance athlete forward of his generation.
He played a Grand Final with two cracked vertebrae in his back and was more than just a mere contributor, at the end laying a huge tackle that gave us the biggest moment of the Grand Final.

I'm not sure if a stand will occur but I'm heavily in favour of some form of recognition for Morris.

How about the "Dale Morris Medical Room"

Eastdog
16-05-2018, 01:41 PM
Probably need to consider getting the cast ready for Jack Macrae as well I suppose.

Yep Jack is very worthy as well.

ledge
16-05-2018, 01:51 PM
The list would be pretty Massive if you want to actually do it , Scott West and Gary Dempsey would certainly be up there.
Followed by Grant? Even Peter Gordon should get a statue when you consider what he has done or we wouldn't even be here.

Eastdog
16-05-2018, 01:53 PM
The list would be pretty Massive if you want to actually do it , Scott West and Gary Dempsey would certainly be up there.
Followed by Grant? Even Peter Gordon should get a statue when you consider what he has done or we wouldn't even be here.

Smorgon, Gordon, Alberti statues. Three pivotal figures of our club.

LostDoggy
16-05-2018, 01:55 PM

And that's just the modern era. Charlie Sutton, Arthur Olliver, Herb Henderson, Con McCarthy, Norm Ware, Alby Morrison, John Schulz, etc etc...

Axe Man
16-05-2018, 02:20 PM
I don't think the budget will allow for statues for all these bulldogs legends. How about garden gnomes as a cost effective alternative?

1eyedog
16-05-2018, 02:25 PM
So traditionally statues have been reserved for superstars, but I've been thinking we should get a Dale Morris Statue at the Whitten Oval.

He's as fine a bulldog as Ive ever seen - the absolute epitome of what we want our players/club to be, in terms of getting the most out of your ability.

If we were to do a series of True Bulldogs Statues to go with Dale - who should also be featured?

What about Irene Chatfield? Seriously this woman did one of those MJP's 'critical moment' we're not going down like this things when she applied for a stay of execution to help save the club. Sure she was backed by the club's power brokers but if you ever wanted a statue to represent the working class loyal supporter, without which the club would be the Fitzroy Bulldogs playing in Fitzroy colours, there would be no better fit.

She is the most critical individual in our history. Sure we live to win Premierships, but you've got to actually exist to have a chance of winning one.

She is so undersold in many ways.

LostDoggy
16-05-2018, 02:25 PM
I don't think the budget will allow for statues for all these bulldogs legends. How about garden gnomes as a cost effective alternative?

That's actually a great marketing idea. I'd have a dozen gnomes of Bulldog legends in my front yard for sure.

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 02:53 PM

Might?

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 03:00 PM

That's actually a great marketing idea. I'd have a dozen gnomes of Bulldog legends in my front yard for sure.

We could have a legends garden or walk somewhere inside Whitten oval with the gnomes on each side. Gnomes is such an inspired idea because they have so many advantages, it's a novel idea, they are cheap so we could include pretty much the entire HOF, gnomes can't be hard to make so maybe we could have 'make a gnome" supporter days or something.

Hmmm.

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 03:02 PM
I already have a few bulldog garden gnomes. There is Teddy, Douggy and Tits.

craigsahibee
16-05-2018, 03:16 PM
In 20 years time Caleb's gnome could be the first ever "life size" gnome.

Bulldog Revolution
16-05-2018, 03:58 PM
I already have a few bulldog garden gnomes. There is Teddy, Douggy and Tits.

I have a Douggy garden gnome two - mine is wearing a bulldogs jumper also

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 04:45 PM
I have a Douggy garden gnome two - mine is wearing a bulldogs jumper also

Does he have a number 7? Only two of mine, Teddy and Douggy, are actually traditional garden gnomes and they both have their numbers on their backs. Tits is a marble cartoon bulldog about the size of a garden gnome. The reason I ask is I can't figure out if my dad added the numbers after we'd named them, dad was a painter, or if they came from the shop already numbered.

I also have a bulldog wearing a top hat but she's called Winny because (as the major said to Basil Fawlty) "she looks like Winny"*

*for mine the funniest line ever in a sitcom. The major said he'd been to see a show with Winnie Atwell. Basil says "Winnie Atwell?" And the major says "oh, alright Marjorie Atwell, but I always call her Winnie because, well, she looks like Winnie. and Basil says "she's not black!" the major looks at Basil and says "black? Churchill wasn't black"

Eastdog
16-05-2018, 04:56 PM
I have a Bulldog garden gnome as well. Just a general one not one of a specific player.

bornadog
16-05-2018, 05:26 PM
I have a Bulldog garden gnome as well. Just a general one not one of a specific player.

Now you can call it Dale:)

Eastdog
16-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Now you can call it Dale:)

The Dale statue it is :)

kruder
16-05-2018, 08:50 PM

Legend!!!!!! I reckon he might just be my all time favourite bulldog.

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 09:10 PM

We should also feature Buddy Franklyn in Dale's statue. Cast it as the tackle he brings him down with in the GF. With the look of shock on Buddy's and the footy disappearing out the back.

westdog54
16-05-2018, 10:57 PM
We should also feature Buddy Franklyn in Dale's statue. Cast it as the tackle he brings him down with in the GF. With the look of shock on Buddy's and the footy disappearing out the back.

It would probably break the budget to have Tom Boyd sweeping onto the loose ball.

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 11:10 PM
It would probably break the budget to have Tom Boyd sweeping onto the loose ball.

Not with Gaeden Gnomes.

Twodogs
16-05-2018, 11:12 PM
Classy garden gnomes. None of your hollow concrete rubbish.

westdog54
16-05-2018, 11:14 PM
Not with Gaeden Gnomes.

If you used garden gnomes you could have a progressive scene, culminating in the Tom Boyd gnome having a Toby McLean gnome half its size hanging off its back.

Twodogs
17-05-2018, 12:18 AM
If you used garden gnomes you could have a progressive scene, culminating in the Tom Boyd gnome having a Toby McLean gnome half its size hanging off its back.

Or. Articulated gnomes actually replaying the whole contest.

craigsahibee
17-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Or. Articulated gnomes actually replaying the whole contest.

A claymation re-enactment using garden gnomes.

This is starting to get traction.

Twodogs
17-05-2018, 12:52 PM

If you'd said in week one if the finals that we'd win the flag you would have been accused of being at the bottom of the garden with the garden gnomes!

Axe Man
17-05-2018, 12:58 PM

Or maybe even Lego? Is it Reload that is our resident lego master?

Twodogs
17-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Or maybe even Lego? Is it Reload that is our resident lego master?

I already had reload down as a major part of this-those skills have gotta be transportable across different media. I don't like our chances of getting Nick Park.

Eastdog
17-05-2018, 01:54 PM
Claymation lego of all the best moments of all our 2016 finals!

westdog54
17-05-2018, 05:44 PM
Claymation lego of all the best moments of all our 2016 finals!

In no particular order, as well as the Boyd goal:

Jack Darling shits himself against an oncoming Josh Dunkley.
Marcus Bontempelli outmarks Luke Hodge in the SF.
Picken's sealer in the SF.
Easton Wood's prelim hanger.
JJ to the Bont.
Macrae kicks the winner.
Final siren in the prelim.
Zaine Cordy poleaxes Luke Parker in the Grand Final.
Picken's hanger.
Picken's second and third goals.

Twodogs
17-05-2018, 08:41 PM

JJ to the Bont.
Macrae kicks the winner.
Picken's hanger.

That desperate hack at the ball by Matthew Boyd with his foot just clearing out of, ummm, that bloke geez his name escapes me, is it Brian something? Anyway Keithy's karate kick saved us all from the fate worse than death that awaited us all if Ryan bloody Griffen had got the ball in his hands. Imagine watching him waltz down that outer flank and place a knife in our hearts. We'd still be talking about it.

That it went to JJ and eventually the Bont was all gravy. Beautiful tangy gravy.

westdog54
18-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Not to mention that the play started with Boydy pickpocketing that Brian bloke you were talking about in the back pocket.

Twodogs
18-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Not to mention that the play started with Boydy pickpocketing that Brian bloke you were talking about in the back pocket.

I remember Boydy getting the ball but can't remember the other fellow for the life of me. The game moves on so quickly. It's relentless for some players.

westdog54
18-05-2018, 12:11 PM
I remember Boydy getting the ball but can't remember the other fellow for the life of me. The game moves on so quickly. It's relentless for some players.

The reason I remember it so vividly is I've replayed Al's Octocall that many times the call is burned into my memory.

Twodogs
18-05-2018, 01:25 PM
The reason I remember it so vividly is I've replayed Al's Octocall that many times the call is burned into my memory.

God bless Al and his Octocalls.

Sometimes I stop and think that when I was a sports obsessed kid I happily watched Pot Black and Jack High every week just because it was the only sport on TV regularly. Now I can watch pretty much any game that's been broadcast.

Find any song I hear straight away. It took me 5 years of combing record stores before I found a copy of Rubber Band Man after hearing it on the radio the first time. I don't know which way is better.

Mofra
18-05-2018, 03:20 PM

JJ to the Bont.
Macrae kicks the winner.
Picken's hanger.

Good list.

Can I add the prelim goal that included Clay Smith vs Griffen clashing in our F50 (Daniel slotted it from memory).

Eastdog
18-05-2018, 03:20 PM

Yeah those smaller key moments that can slip our minds means I have to sit down sometime and give the DVDs of those 2016 finals a spin.

In my memory Jacks goal in the PF and the lead to Tory Dickson marking it in the end. Boyd and Picko's goals in the GF huge and Toby McLean getting that goal right on half time. Morris bringing down Buddy what a highlight to forever have.