PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned, edition IX 2018 v Adelaide.

Twodogs
18-05-2018, 04:36 PM
I've got to say that a few things have come into sharp relief after that. How about you write three things down that you know now but you didn't know before before the game down.

GVGjr
18-05-2018, 10:47 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
18-05-2018, 11:29 PM
1. As Rodney told the club, this is now a rebuild not a refresh. Which I don't mind at all, but that's what it is.
2. My concern on Crozier is growing from week to week.
3. I'm out of ideas on goal kicking. Nothing's changed for nearly 2 years. If the coaching and training is sufficient, a lot of players need to go. If.

westdog54
18-05-2018, 11:32 PM
1. Jordan Roughead's career is in serious jeopardy.
2. We put no planning whatsoever into poor weather.
3. Eddie Betts might be the most valuable player in the League

bornadog
18-05-2018, 11:40 PM
1. Jordan Roughead's career is in serious jeopardy.

I am intrigued by these comments on a night that was wet and some of the worse conditions we have played in for many years. Not a night for the big men?

bornadog
18-05-2018, 11:45 PM
1. When you have young players, their bodies don't hold up for 4 quarters in conditions like tonight. Richards, Lippa, Dale, Webb, just died in the second half.

2. Roughy and Boyd in the ruck, competed well against Jacobs, 54 to 40 hitouts wasn't a smashing compared to other weeks.We must continue with these two, or at least two rucks.

3. Trengove playing backline is the way to go, did well to picked 21 disposals and I liked his ground work.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-05-2018, 12:32 AM
1. When you have young players, their bodies don't hold up for 4 quarters in conditions like tonight. Richards, Lippa, Dale, Webb, just died in the second half.

2. Roughy and Boyd in the ruck, competed well against Jacobs, 54 to 40 hitouts wasn't a smashing compared to other weeks.We must continue with these two, or at least two rucks.

3. Trengove playing backline is the way to go, did well to picked 21 disposals and I liked his ground work.
I agree on Roughy and Trengrove but still to be convinced about Tom Boyd who continues to have minimal impact.
It is time to try Schache.

bornadog
19-05-2018, 12:37 AM
I agree on Roughy and Trengrove but still to be convinced about Tom Boyd who continues to have minimal impact.

He needs to show more at VFL and hopefully he can this week. Boyd had 23 tapouts and Roughead 17. The conditions didn't suit Boyd tonight.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-05-2018, 12:45 AM
He needs to show more at VFL and hopefully he can this week. Boyd had 23 tapouts and Roughead 17. The conditions didn't suit Boyd tonight.

Boyd has been very average for most of the year. Simply doesn’t do enough around the ground or up forward. I understand your feelings on Schache but he was recruited as a key forward and given the limitations of our attack warrants an opportunity.

westdog54
19-05-2018, 01:13 AM
I am intrigued by these comments on a night that was wet and some of the worse conditions we have played in for many years. Not a night for the big men?

Maybe not but Trengove did a fine job down back and Boyd competed hard all night. I thought Rough's impact was minimal

Bullies
19-05-2018, 09:37 AM
1. We can't blame Honeychurch and Jong for this loss
2. Our skills are the worst in the League
3. When the rain came why would you not change the game plan from handball at all costs to just kick it forward
4. Dale - no tackles in those conditions.

ratsmac
19-05-2018, 09:52 AM

Sorry I don't agree. Sam Jacabs may have won plenty of hitouts but he had just about the same amount of impact on the game as Boyd. It wasn't a game for the big blokes in the wet like that. Boyd definitely isn't worth the money we pay him right now, but that's not all his fault either. I thought he had shown some good signs this year since coming back into the seniors.

ratsmac
19-05-2018, 10:09 AM
1. Our match committee need to get a weather app for their phone. If their there was ever a game for 1 ruckman it was last night. Honeychurch and Jong would've been better suited for that weather.

2. Our bad kicking for goal is now at epidemic proportions. Something MUST be done. Hypnotise them if it were to help, something, anything, just fix it ffs. You could argue that it cost us playing finals last year and this year is no different.

3. It's hard to win any game these days but even harder when the umpires are laying shepherds on our players. That umpire 26 was practically playing for Adelaide.

Bulldog4life
19-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Sorry I don't agree. Sam Jacabs may have won plenty of hitouts but he had just about the same amount of impact on the game as Boyd. It wasn't a game for the big blokes in the wet like that. Boyd definitely isn't worth the money we pay him right now, but that's not all his fault either. I thought he had shown some good signs this year since coming back into the seniors.

That is the key point. I feel sorry for Tom.

Mantis
19-05-2018, 11:43 AM
1/ In a game where you have to take your half chances our lack of skill showed out.

2/ I’ve been waiting for Bailey Dale to have a ‘mans’ body so he could compete, but I don’t think it’s ever coming him. He lost an absolutely critical contest in the 3rd qtr against man mountain David MacKay when it was 1 goal to 3 and we were going ok. Win that contest and we kick a goal, but he lost it and that was it. Time to try someone else.

3/ The sliding in rule has lost its purpose in the game.

comrade
19-05-2018, 12:40 PM
1/ In a game where you have to take your half chances our lack of skill showed out.

2/ I’ve been waiting for Bailey Dale to have a ‘mans’ body so he could compete, but I don’t think it’s ever coming him. He lost an absolutely critical contest in the 3rd qtr against man mountain David MacKay when it was 1 goal to 3 and we were going ok. Win that contest and we kick a goal, but he lost it and that was it. Time to try someone else.

3/ The sliding in rule has lost its purpose in the game.

Williams is having the sort of year I was hoping Dale would. One of the bigger disappointments of our season is his lack of improvement so far.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 12:47 PM

We did pick a stronger Ruck divsion this week and the hitout numbers were better. Despite this, we got smashed in clearances (where we had been winning) against a team who are generally not a particularly strong clearance team and missing their best clearance players.

Of everything that happened last night, that stat is the most befuddling.

bornadog
19-05-2018, 12:53 PM
We did pick a stronger Ruck divsion this week and the hitout numbers were better. Despite this, we got smashed in clearances (where we had been winning) against a team who are generally not a particularly strong clearance team and missing their best clearance players.

Yes agree with this and I mentioned it somewhere else - Clearances, Stoppages and Cont.poss all lost leading to lack of scoring opportunities.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Williams is having the sort of year I was hoping Dale would. One of the bigger disappointments of our season is his lack of improvement so far.

I thought Dale had shown signs of improvement the last 2-3 weeks. He seemed to be more proactive and looking to make things happen when he didn't have the ball. No doubt last night was a major step backwards.

bornadog
19-05-2018, 01:02 PM
I thought Dale had shown signs of improvement the last 2-3 weeks. He seemed to be more proactive and looking to make things happen when he didn't have the ball. No doubt last night was a major step backwards.

I called for him to be dropped earlier in the year, then last week he played his best game. Last night he was atrocious.

Mantis
19-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Not having a go at you and your comments because what’s stated is factual, but who really gives a shit about how you perform against the bottom teams.. you earn your stripes against good teams and Bailey continues to come up short. Big month coming up for him.

LostDoggy
19-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Not having a go at you and your comments because what’s stated is factual, but who really gives a shit about how you perform against the bottom teams.. you earn your stripes against good teams and Bailey continues to come up short. Big month coming up for him.

I agree with that. He still has a lot to prove before he'd be considered a best 22 fixture.

ratsmac
19-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Spot on. That was Koby Stevens biggest flaw also and it cost him a spot in our 2016 finals campaign.

Twodogs
19-05-2018, 03:40 PM

Yep, well said. It's how you go against the big boys that makes your reputation. Nash up on the minnows and you will be remembered as a Flat Track Bully and Bailey Dale could be so much more than a kid who looked good in his first year and occasionally kicks a few against a bottom team.

Simon Dalrymple said at training once (and it's the only time I have heard him nominate a player) that out of that draft he was more excited about Bailey Dale than any player he drafted in 2014. That was halfway through 2015 so I wonder with the development of Daniel and McLean if that's still the case?

Flamethrower
19-05-2018, 09:18 PM
1. The Adelaide Football Club and the AFL media have no idea about the sliding rule. The AFL do not want players going to ground to gather the ball ever, and have been penalizing players for what Talia did last night for the last 2 years. There is even discussion about a rule paying a free kick if a player tries to gather possession whilst not on their feet (ie the Gaelic Football rule).

Of course, as soon as the Bulldogs get ONE free kick it explodes with calls of freekickbulldogs all over social media. Morons.

2. Young, underdeveloped teams are at a distinct disadvantage in very heavy conditions due to the lack of power in their legs that leads to a lack of penetration with the heavy ball. At times it looked like the Crows were kicking a ball filled with helium, while our guys were kicking a medicine ball.

3. Different sport, but AB de Villiers is as big a freak in the field as he is at the crease.

Twodogs
19-05-2018, 09:55 PM
1. The Adelaide Football Club and the AFL media have no idea about the sliding rule. The AFL do not want players going to ground to gather the ball ever, and have been penalizing players for what Talia did last night for the last 2 years. There is even discussion about a rule paying a free kick if a player tries to gather possession whilst not on their feet (ie the Gaelic Football rule).

Of course, as soon as the Bulldogs get ONE free kick it explodes with calls of freekickbulldogs all over social media. Morons.

2. Young, underdeveloped teams are at a distinct disadvantage in very heavy conditions due to the lack of power in their legs that leads to a lack of penetration with the heavy ball. At times it looked like the Crows were kicking a ball filled with helium, while our guys were kicking a medicine ball.

3. Different sport, but AB de Villiers is as big a freak in the field as he is at the crease.

Unbelievable wasn't it? I've never seen the catcher somehow scoop the ball from behind his head (the ball had actually gone past him before he somehow caught it behind his back) while jumping six foot straight up up in the air at the same time.

I've only ever seen one catch where the catcher caught it after it had gone past him and that was a guy at first slip who had watched the ball off the edge of the bat sort of had to sway out of the way so it didn't hit him and then plucked the ball out of the air with his left hand as a sort of after thought. I was at short leg and had a grandstand seat for it. Forever after that his nickname was Snatch because of the way he snatched the ball with one hand.

craigsahibee
21-05-2018, 10:09 AM
1. Our match committee need to get a weather app for their phone. If their there was ever a game for 1 ruckman it was last night. Honeychurch and Jong would've been better suited for that weather.

2. Our bad kicking for goal is now at epidemic proportions. Something MUST be done. Hypnotise them if it were to help, something, anything, just fix it ffs. You could argue that it cost us playing finals last year and this year is no different.

3. It's hard to win any game these days but even harder when the umpires are laying shepherds on our players. That umpire 26 was practically playing for Adelaide.

Maybe it's as simple as me and my Driver and any tee box on any golf course anywhere in the world. If I aim for the water hazard, I'm less likely to hit it than if I didn't aim for it. We need to visualize the ball going through for a behind and see what happens! ;)

Ozza
21-05-2018, 10:46 AM
1. We are clearly uninterested in seeing Tom Boyd play as a forward. Even whether Roughead in the side, we inexpicably had Boyd as the no.1 ruck and Roughy spend a big portion forward. Is that what the coaching group seriously think that is the best apportionment for those two players?

2. We don't handle the wet, at all. Yeah, we are young - but Adelaide were as gettable as they could possibly be with their outs - and had they had any semblance of their real side - this would have been a serious drubbing. We made no adjustments for the conditions whatsoever. Its all well and good for Bevo to say that we wanted a better kick:handball ratio - but the reality is, if you get the footy under pressure - and the team is not set up ahead of you and around you in a way that allows you to have options to kick to, then the players are right to handball until an option presents. Always hard to tell from TV, but I'm tipping we had nothing much ahead of the overcrowded stoppages and contested scenarios.

3. We didn't run hard enough defensively. Go to the AFL website and compare the speeds in which we ran in defence rather than offence and then look at that compared to recent weeks. Bevo has told the group that the effort was there. Dahlhaus has said in his post game that the effort was there and that the coach was happy with the effort. There is a question mark on it for me. The effort was there when we could get the footy, but I suspect the review will reveal that we had too many spectators whenever we lost possession.

hujsh
21-05-2018, 11:30 AM
1. We are clearly uninterested in seeing Tom Boyd play as a forward. Even whether Roughead in the side, we inexpicably had Boyd as the no.1 ruck and Roughy spend a big portion forward. Is that what the coaching group seriously think that is the best apportionment for those two players?

2. We don't handle the wet, at all. Yeah, we are young - but Adelaide were as gettable as they could possibly be with their outs - and had they had any semblance of their real side - this would have been a serious drubbing. We made no adjustments for the conditions whatsoever. Its all well and good for Bevo to say that we wanted a better kick:handball ratio - but the reality is, if you get the footy under pressure - and the team is not set up ahead of you and around you in a way that allows you to have options to kick to, then the players are right to handball until an option presents. Always hard to tell from TV, but I'm tipping we had nothing much ahead of the overcrowded stoppages and contested scenarios.

3. We didn't run hard enough defensively. Go to the AFL website and compare the speeds in which we ran in defence rather than offence and then look at that compared to recent weeks. Bevo has told the group that the effort was there. Dahlhaus has said in his post game that the effort was there and that the coach was happy with the effort. There is a question mark on it for me. The effort was there when we could get the footy, but I suspect the review will reveal that we had too many spectators whenever we lost possession.

The only real way I understand this is that it was wetter than we expected and knew that no one was going to have much luck marking around the ground so we figured Boyd's better mobility and ground level work would benefit the side more than whatever Roughead could offer.

craigsahibee
21-05-2018, 11:35 AM

Great point. How often was the ball kicked to one on one contests in the Adelaide forward line where our entries went to congested areas?

We played dumb lazy footy at times which was not at all helped by our overuse of the footy.

Ozza
21-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Great point. How often was the ball kicked to one on one contests in the Adelaide forward line where our entries went to congested areas?

We played dumb lazy footy at times which was not at all helped by our overuse of the footy.

Based on the GPS tracking available on the AFL site.

When we had the ball, our players average speed was 8.7km/h.
When Adelaide had the ball - we averaged 8.0km/h.

The speed averages obviously take into account players who are stationary or walking who are not involved in the play. But if you go back over our recent games - we had the balance between these two stats much much better. Adelaide had all 5 of the 'top 5' players for average speed in defensive running.

On its own, I wouldn't normally read to much into this, but its the comparison to previous weeks where you can see that it is out of whack. The games where we have been belted - the story is similar.

FrediKanoute
21-05-2018, 04:02 PM

We picked a taller team, but the weather conditions mean we would have been better having a smaller player. Conditions and our kicking for goal let us down badly

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-05-2018, 08:44 PM

Agree with your thoughts on playing Tom Boyd forward and Roughead in the ruck. It will be interesting to see what happens this week with Schache likely to debut at FF, which might just mean Boyd at CHF. It would be good also to see Adams back also as he can play both back and forward. Our overuse of handball against the Crows saw us have 80 more handballs and 22 less kicks. It must be a nightmare playing on our forward line as you wouldn’t know when to lead given these stats. On a positive note it has been good to see the improvement in Williams Gowers and Lipinski together with Naughton until injured.Our quality midfield of Hunter Maclean and Macrae also has been a shining light this year. Injuries to Picken Liberatore Morris and Adams has also meant playing a very inexperienced line up. Collingwood and Melbourne are both winnable games at Etihad going into the bye.