PDA

View Full Version : Beams steps down as captain

Topdog
23-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Said he is struggling since his father's death and has passed the reigns over to Zorko.

Must have been an incredibly hard decision for him to make

ledge
23-05-2018, 05:53 PM
Might sound strange but him stepping down says more about why he should be captain.
What he has done is the sign of a man with great character and club orientated even at a difficult time in his life.
Hope he comes good and becomes captain again.

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 06:28 PM
It's harder than you expect when your dad dies.

Happy Days
23-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Beams is one of the more problematic people in the AFL - rightfully revered warrior, but never should have been made captain in the first place (and lucky to still be in the league) given his torrid off-field history.

Having said that, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a dad.

AndrewP6
23-05-2018, 07:04 PM
Been through that, it's bloody hard going. Played in a national wheelchair basketball championship 10 days after my Dad passed away. Good on him, hope he is able to get through a very tough time and back to enjoying footy (and his life).

Twodogs
23-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Been through that, it's bloody hard going. Played in a national wheelchair basketball championship 10 days after my Dad passed away. Good on him, hope he is able to get through a very tough time and back to enjoying footy (and his life).

Mate that's a fair effort at accessing the right boxes. I was supposed to do a shift at my work two days after my dad died but I had to ring in sick. I couldn't believe how rough I still felt, just bleaghhh.

EasternWest
24-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Might sound strange but him stepping down says more about why he should be captain.
What he has done is the sign of a man with great character and club orientated even at a difficult time in his life.
Hope he comes good and becomes captain again.

Good assessment ledge.

Beams is one of the more problematic people in the AFL - rightfully revered warrior, but never should have been made captain in the first place (and lucky to still be in the league) given his torrid off-field history.

Having said that, I can't imagine what it's like to lose a dad.

I've not heard any of this.

Happy Days
24-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Good assessment ledge.

I've not heard any of this.

The book Night Games by Anna Krien (which is excellent btw) goes into significant detail about incidents after the 2010 Grand Final, and stops jussst short of saying that Beams was cleared of a rape charge due to his celebrity status (a charge ultimately pinned on a mate of his, who was obviously not an AFL player).

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 02:23 PM
The book Night Games by Anna Krien (which is excellent btw) goes into significant detail about incidents after the 2010 Grand Final, and stops jussst short of saying that Beams was cleared of a rape charge due to his celebrity status (a charge ultimately pinned on a mate of his, who was obviously not an AFL player).

I'm reading it now, it's pretty racy. It mentions a Helen Garner book called the First Stone on the cover, have you read that?

Happy Days
24-05-2018, 09:22 PM
I'm reading it now, it's pretty racy. It mentions a Helen Garner book called the First Stone on the cover, have you read that?

Can't say I have, although its Wiki page makes it out to be kinda problematic.

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Can't say I have, although its Wiki page makes it out to be kinda problematic.

Me either. I wonder if it's about footy?

Topdog
25-05-2018, 11:23 AM

Not sure how an incident that occurred when he was 19 would stop him from being a captain at 27. Especially an incident that ultimately he was never charged for. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?