PDA

View Full Version : Marvel-Stadium ???

Scraggers
24-05-2018, 12:37 PM
LINK (https://www.watoday.com.au/national/victoria/marvel-lous-disney-wins-naming-rights-to-melbourne-s-etihad-stadium-20180524-p4zh5i.html)

Are the reports true?
I actually checked the date on my watch when I heard this on the radio to see if it was an April Fool's joke. And now I can't get the 12th Man's "Marvellous" song out of my head.

Eastdog
24-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Yep true. Will be called Marvel Stadium from September 1.

Ozza
24-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Pretty awesome to have the stadium sponsored by Disney/Marvel.

The opportunities for fan engagement and activations on game day at the stadium will be plentiful (not something I would have thought of pre-kids!).

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 02:12 PM
Chris Hensworth certainly seems to think so.

A couple of months ago I was at the Trugo (western suburban game that is played no where else) and we were talking to the president of the club (a pretty old fellow) and he said to us "hey I saw that bloke from Thor swinging his hammer on the TV and I started to wonder if we could get him to do the same with a Trugo mallet." (Trugo is played with a croquet mallet) and we all sauid "that's a great idea" and we were talking about how we would get in touch with Hensworth to ask him, we'd been talking about it for 15 minutes when somebody says "this is a great idea, the western suburbs own sport publicised by Footscray's very own movie star" and the president says "is he from Footscray?"
"Well yeah, isn't that why we want him?", "

"not really" says the president "I just saw him waving his hammer and thought that it looked like a Trugo mallet"

"well why *!*!*!*!ing else would Chris Hemsworth be interested in doing it?"

We had to get our phones out and Google Chris Hensworth and point out the bit where it says he went to North Footscray primary before he'd believe us.

Anyway I just thought it was a funny and typically (no, movie stars aren't going to come here for the glamour. Not even the Trugo) glorified Footscray thinking that film stars are just going to turn up because we ask them! What else could they possibly be busy with?

bornadog
24-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Disney connection on our Board, hopefully we an get some leverage from it

craigsahibee
24-05-2018, 03:12 PM
Disney connection on our Board, hopefully we an get some leverage from it

As a Club, we have made some Goofy decisions over the years. Didn't realise it came from the Board.

KT31
24-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Chris Hensworth certainly seems to think so.

A couple of months ago I was at the Trugo (western suburban game that is played no where else) and we were talking to the president of the club (a pretty old fellow) and he said to us "hey I saw that bloke from Thor swinging his hammer on the TV and I started to wonder if we could get him to do the same with a Trugo mallet." (Trugo is played with a croquet mallet) and we all sauid "that's a great idea" and we were talking about how we would get in touch with Hensworth to ask him, we'd been talking about it for 15 minutes when somebody says "this is a great idea, the western suburbs own sport publicised by Footscray's very own movie star" and the president says "is he from Footscray?"
"Well yeah, isn't that why we want him?", "

"not really" says the president "I just saw him waving his hammer and thought that it looked like a Trugo mallet"

"well why *!*!*!*!ing else would Chris Hemsworth be interested in doing it?"

We had to get our phones out and Google Chris Hensworth and point out the bit where it says he went to North Footscray primary before he'd believe us.

Anyway I just thought it was a funny and typically (no, movie stars aren't going to come here for the glamour. Not even the Trugo) glorified Footscray thinking that film stars are just going to turn up because we ask them! What else could they possibly be busy with?

Invented at Newport rail yards TD, but I think Port and Fitzroy have clubs.

Eastdog
24-05-2018, 03:54 PM

http://www.trugo.org.au

This unique local sport of Melbourne is played in the suburbs of Ascot Vale, Brunswick, Footscray, Port Melbourne, Sandridge, South Melbourne and at the home of Trugo, Yarraville.

jeemak
24-05-2018, 04:24 PM
Sedat isn't going to like this...........from memory he's no Disney fan!

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 04:40 PM

Port Mebourne only misses out on being a western suburb by dint of its location. ;)

Everything else about Port has had the western suburbs treatment. They closed the pubs and turned them into units, the land prices boomed, people moved in from everywhere else and now the locals rent their accomodation from people who can afford to own their houses.

Sedat
24-05-2018, 05:04 PM
Sedat isn't going to like this...........from memory he's no Disney fan!
My competitor ;)

It's a good move by the stadium, and having Kylie on our board who is also head of Disney Aus cannot hurt us at all. I'm a greater good kinda guy when it comes to the Dogs :D

Twodogs
24-05-2018, 07:53 PM
It's the sacrifices that makes success worth it Sedat. Team before self.

Flamethrower
25-05-2018, 12:49 AM
So Melbourne finally has its own "Disneyland". That can't be a bad thing, and it is far better that sterile names like Optus Stadium, Etihad Stadium, GMHBA Stadium, Spotless Stadium (should be renamed Fanless Stadium), Metricon Stadium and AAMI Park.

1eyedog
25-05-2018, 11:12 AM
Interesting. There are talks to open a Disneyland Australia on the Gold Coast by 2025 I wonder if this is a marketing precursor to that.