PDA

View Full Version : In an ideal world – who would you choose…

Pedro Sanchez
30-01-2008, 12:39 AM
Interested in your thoughts on who you’d like to see command our number one and two ruck positions, if in an ideal world all our ruckmen fulfilled their talent and really blossomed in 2008.

In my opinion there’s no question we have enough talent, variety and potential in this area with the likely candidates including (in no particular order):

1 Peter Street – has the potential to really use his height to advantage and dominate tap contests while also marking everything in sight. Could really offer our backline great support gliding across packs to outmark the forwards – a la Scotty Wynd. As well as provide a challenging match up for opposition teams if he was to rest in the forward line.

2 Big Will – The sight of him roaming the centre square and wings with confidence, jumping into opponents and bashing and crashing packs is mouth watering. There’s the added possibility of him playing forward and repeating the dose in our 50 meter arc. His ability to bring the ball to ground for our talented onballers and or small forwards would be super handy.

3 Huddo – Such a contrast to the other Hudson that donned the red, white and blue in the late 90s. This Huddo is a polished and seasoned pro. His experience, hardness and consistency will be invaluable. At the Crows he delivered the goods game in and game out in only a few years in the system. For us I’d be happy for him to just repeat the dose over the next few years.

4 Skip - A graceful and highly skilled player whose mobility, ball handling ability and beautiful long kick are the envy of any footballer. He has the potential to be absolutely anything – I see him and Ryder from the Bombers as similar types. He could cause huge headaches with his pace and endurance around the ground demanding attention from opposing sides. He’d also be able to play as a swingman up forward and would be more than handy within 55m of goal.

5 The rookies – really too early to tell so a story for another day.

So there it is in all its wonder. The possibility of our ruck stocks blossoming and booming in 08. In this ideal and hopefully realistic world – who would you want – who would compliment who the best – and which pairing would be most suited towards us winning the flag sooner than later?

My ideal world goes like this…

I’d like to see Hudson and Minson take the mantel as I believe they offer a non-compromising act. Their physical style as well as their large physics would breed confidence and esteem in our young-ish side

Skipper is the unlucky one as I like him a lot – well his potential anyway which we did start to see more of late last year. I think he could still play a role in the forward line.

I look forward to your thoughts…

PS – I left White out of the equation as I see him as a backman foremost.

Mc Pedro…

always right
30-01-2008, 06:46 PM
I was wondering where I left my rose-coloured glasses. I see you've found them. Just pop them in the post please.

LostDoggy
30-01-2008, 07:32 PM
While we are sharing dreams:

Skipper could be the next Adam Goodes. Goodes is 1cm taller then Skip and is also 6kg's heavier. So agility shouldn't be a problem. Come on Skipper, make a move to the midfield!

The Bulldogs Bite
30-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Optimism is fantastic, but aside from Hudson, the others simply aren't capable or anywhere near delivering that kind of football. Street will never be able to consistently hold strong contested grabs on any part of the ground, Minson has a long way to go before establishing himself in any position - but he does have ability & Skipper certainly isn't within a country mile of Ryder.

Hudson will take the #1 spot whilst the rest will be left to fight it out amongst themselves. If all goes according to plan, Minson will step up and fill the void as a decent second string ruck which he's capable of doing. Still, he needs a lot of work.

Hopefully through last years rookie draft (Mulligan/Shaw) and next years draft (Cordy, potentially?) we'll be able to find one or two quality rucks. It'd help us enormously.

Drunken Bum
31-01-2008, 03:33 AM
Optimism is fantastic, but aside from Hudson, the others simply aren't capable or anywhere near delivering that kind of football. Street will never be able to consistently hold strong contested grabs on any part of the ground, Minson has a long way to go before establishing himself in any position - but he does have ability & Skipper certainly isn't within a country mile of Ryder.

Hudson will take the #1 spot whilst the rest will be left to fight it out amongst themselves. If all goes according to plan, Minson will step up and fill the void as a decent second string ruck which he's capable of doing. Still, he needs a lot of work.

Hopefully through last years rookie draft (Mulligan/Shaw) and next years draft (Cordy, potentially?) we'll be able to find one or two quality rucks. It'd help us enormously.

Every year there is a player who comes from nowhere and really steps up a class or 2. Whats wrong with being optimistic that it could be one of our boys who suddenly clicks, i am doubtful of it happening but it certainly isnt out of the realms of possibilty.

For mine i would have Hudson as number one, Skip to step up again after his good finish to last year as a mobile ruckman off the bench and Minson to find his niche as a power forward capable of pinchitting in the ruck :D

Optimism is fantastic

Mofra
31-01-2008, 12:07 PM
Hudson is claerly no 1. In an ideal world Minson & Skipper will both be playing as forward/rucks so each could be the no 2 as opponents permitted.

Sockeye Salmon
31-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Interested in your thoughts on who you’d like to see command our number one and two ruck positions, if in an ideal world all our ruckmen fulfilled their talent and really blossomed in 2008.

In an ideal world we would have never traded picks 6, 19 & 20 for Rawlings, Koops and Street.

In an ideal world our first ruck would be Dean Cox.

hujsh
31-01-2008, 03:36 PM
In an ideal world we would have never traded picks 6, 19 & 20 for Rawlings, Koops and Street.

Shudder:o

Did we get 6 for Brown?:o

hujsh
31-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I think Hudson will at least stop opposing ruckmen from easily winning the hitouts.

He manages to time his jumps and get to the ball. Minson often finds himself jumping early and then coming down with the ball. Street barely jumps at all.

Can't wait to see him in action.

Sockeye Salmon
01-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Did we get 6 for Brown?:o

Yep.

The Underdog
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM

They may say you're a dreamer, but you're not the only one.

Oh yeah you forgot, Lachlan Veale.

Bulldog Revolution
04-02-2008, 01:17 PM

The effect of this wasted opportunity is still being felt - good to see I am not the only one who struggles to get over this disastrous trade period

Hopefully however this years crop of draftees looks pretty promising - the size, grunt and tenacity of ward and reid, plus the forward in the making in grant.