PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 14, 2018 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
30-05-2018, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 14, 2018 match against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
14-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
14-06-2018, 11:26 PM
It doesn't really matter anymore. The fringe guys kept in show little, guys they bring in show little. Leaders like Hunter and especially JJ aren't impacting. Players keep getting injuries, especially soft tissue ones.

Injuries look like Wood, Macrae, Smith. So there's three.

If we cared, Biggs, Honey & Webb would go out. JJ too, maybe Daniel. But this ain't happening at all.

Sedat
14-06-2018, 11:43 PM
Positional changes for mine - add Richards and Williams to the midfield mix. Daniel midfield or out. Wallis stays inside F50. Dahl purely F50.

Drop Honeychurch, Smith, Webb, Boyd. Bring in Campbell and the 3 best mid-sized players from VFL this weekend. Could make 8 changes.

GVGjr
14-06-2018, 11:45 PM
Outs Macrae, Wood, Smith, Lipinski and Daniel
In's Young, Jong, Dunkley, Roughead and Greene

kruder
15-06-2018, 12:24 AM
Outs Macrae, Wood, Smith, Lipinski and Daniel
In's Young, Jong, Dunkley, Roughead and Greene

Boyd won't play either compound fracture of a finger.

bornadog
15-06-2018, 12:31 AM
Boyd won't play either compound fracture of a finger.

Also Webb dislocated finger

bulldogtragic
15-06-2018, 12:34 AM
Nothing for Honeychurch? Badly stubbed toe? Infected shavers rash? The kind of Ebola you survive, but need 10 weeks isolation?

G-Mo77
15-06-2018, 05:30 AM
Lol. Can we just forfeit.

Who can we bring in to fix this mess?

With the news of our "#1 Ruck" having a pretty nasty injury maybe Campbell will get a shot. Nah, bring in Jong and Dunks to cover that. Hell why not give Roberts a shot as well next week. Nah just put Shaq down back.

Ozza
15-06-2018, 10:47 AM
Injuries are;

Wood - for a long time.
Macrae - was hamstring tightness, would be unlikely
Mclean - shoulder to be assessed.
Webb - broken thumb, surgery, at least 2-3 weeks.
Bont - hyper-extended knee but a good chance to play.
Boyd - compound dislocation (no idea if this keeps him out or not).
Roarke looked pretty sore. Not sure about him.

Mantis
15-06-2018, 10:51 AM
Injuries are;

Wood - for a long time.
Macrae - was hamstring tightness, would be unlikely
Mclean - shoulder to be assessed.
Webb - broken thumb, surgery, at least 2-3 weeks.
Bont - hyper-extended knee but a good chance to play.
Boyd - compound dislocation (no idea if this keeps him out or not).
Roarke looked pretty sore. Not sure about him.

I had one of these back in my cricket days and played (and bowled) the next week... One thing we know is that it won't affect his marking!

bornadog
15-06-2018, 10:57 AM
I had one of these back in my cricket days and played (and bowled) the next week... One thing we know is that it won't affect his marking!

Is that where the bone sticks out?

Ozza
15-06-2018, 11:02 AM

You were always a lazarus-like figure in your cricketing days though!! No doubt bowled 30-40 overs with the digit hanging off your hand!!

Ozza
15-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Yes, the injury definitely not going to occur in a marking contest....his hands are extremely safe in that circumstance.

Mantis
15-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Is that where the bone sticks out?

That's the one! Not a pleasant experience.

Pickenitup
16-06-2018, 11:04 AM
In Campbell Jong Dunkley Adams Suckling .Out Wood Macrae Webb Boyd Daniel

Twodogs
16-06-2018, 01:51 PM
That's the one! Not a pleasant experience.

How did you do it?

Mantis
17-06-2018, 08:25 AM
How did you do it?

Caught & bowled attempt.. threw one up to a tailender who 'smashed' one back up at me high and to the right, stuck up the hand by reflex and it crashed through the tip of my fingers. Looked down and saw red & white, clasped shut my hand and just started walking off the field. My captain came over and asked what was going on, I showed him and he nearly vomited!

Twodogs
17-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Caught & bowled attempt.. threw one up to a tailender who 'smashed' one back up at me high and to the right, stuck up the hand by reflex and it crashed through the tip of my fingers. Looked down and saw red & white, clasped shut my hand and just started walking off the field. My captain came over and asked what was going on, I showed him and he nearly vomited!

Nice! Especially the spewy captain.

S Coast Simon
19-06-2018, 03:14 AM
Out. Wood Macrae Boyd Bont Webb

In. Cambell Dunkley Jong Adams .......

ReLoad
19-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Pick me, pick me! I'm sort of fit. ill guarantee that we will get a better draft pick!

And for a special bonus, ill make sure Waite gets 6-8 weeks for clocking me :) Anyone else you want sorted out?

bornadog
19-06-2018, 10:29 AM
JJ: There will be a couple of boys ruled out this week with injury, but Tom Boyd and Toby McLean will be assessed to play, and Dale Morris is a chance.

LostDoggy
19-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Would really like to see Fergus Greene get a game this week. He seems to have attributes our AFL team needs and we need to find out whether he is up to AFL standard. 3 or 4 games at least before the end of the year would be good.

Mofra
19-06-2018, 03:17 PM
Would really like to see Fergus Greene get a game this week. He seems to have attributes our AFL team needs and we need to find out whether he is up to AFL standard. 3 or 4 games at least before the end of the year would be good.
Ditto. We're not challenging this year and he's just had 18 posies and has hit the scoreboard every game for the past few weeks.
Hope he gets a taste soon.
If Porter puts together anything more than promising form I'd debut him in one of the weeks before the end of the season to give him an idea of the level. Seems a hard worker so gives him a push over the pre-season.

G-Mo77
19-06-2018, 03:57 PM

There are not many left so he'd be unlucky to miss.

Go_Dogs
19-06-2018, 07:37 PM
Out:
Wood, Macrae, Bont, Webb, Daniel

In:
Young, Dunkley, Jong, Lynch, Greene

bornadog
19-06-2018, 11:33 PM
Mark Stevens says the Bont will play as will Boyd, Mclean still 50/50

bornadog
20-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Waite out for North, re-injured calf.

Mofra
20-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Waite out for North, re-injured calf.
That's huge. He kills us and when he's played this year has been in very good form.

bornadog
20-06-2018, 11:07 AM
That's huge. He kills us and when he's played this year has been in very good form.

Who plays on Brown?

Rocket Science
20-06-2018, 11:16 AM
Who plays on Brown?

Trengove's in for a long night.

bornadog
20-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Trengove's in for a long night.

So will I be. :D

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-06-2018, 06:21 PM
Who plays on Brown?

Cordy would be the obvious one. Trengrove has struggled to impress.

LostDoggy
20-06-2018, 06:30 PM

Bevo was effusive in his praise for Trengove v Dixon last wek. He gets the really big kpf's and will again.

bornadog
20-06-2018, 06:31 PM

Cordy would be conceding almost 10cm, with Brown at 200cm. At least Trengove is 197cm.

I disagree that Trengove is struggling. He has done well since moving to the backline taking 22 marks in the last three games and has averaged 7 disposals.

G-Mo77
20-06-2018, 07:00 PM
I haven't been overly impressed with Trengove. I was one who was happy when he came but like Crozier (Who is praised by our coach?) has been a let down.

He's got a tough gig though, being a Bulldogs backman must be pretty scary, slightly less scarier than being a Bulldogs forward. :)

Mofra
20-06-2018, 07:07 PM
I haven't been overly impressed with Trengove. I was one who was happy when he came but like Crozier (Who is praised by our coach?) has been a let down.

He's got a tough gig though, being a Bulldogs backman must be pretty scary, slightly less scarier than being a Bulldogs forward. :)
On the brightside, as a Bulldogs backman you get to play twice as much football than one of our forwards.

Bullies
21-06-2018, 10:14 AM

He's got a tough gig though, being a Bulldogs backman must be pretty scary, slightly less scarier than being a Bulldogs forward. :) He was done when he was at Port. We have another 2 years of him.

Bulldog4life
21-06-2018, 10:32 AM
On Twitter

Swamp
@sirswampthing
Games experience for WBD
1,423 - named on this week's injury list
1,324 - not named on this week's injury list
@westernbulldogs @AFL

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2018, 01:52 PM
He was done when he was at Port. We have another 2 years of him.

You begin to wonder the logic in recruiting Trengrove when you also have Naughton Young Adams Roberts and Collins as key defenders. The Club is crying out for quality midfielders which has been given little emphasis in our recruiting.

Mofra
21-06-2018, 02:02 PM
You begin to wonder the logic in recruiting Trengrove when you also have Naughton Young Adams Roberts and Collins as key defenders. The Club is crying out for quality midfielders which has been given little emphasis in our recruiting.
Who of that group would you play ahead of Trengove?

We didn't have Naughton when we signed him so he's out of the equation. Young is raw as hell and not ready, Adams perpetually injured so not bankable, Roberts nowhere near it and Collins would be ranked bottom of the lot.

We went into the season with Cordy about the only KPD you could rely on, noting Morris has battled injury since 2016 (even during 2016).

The weird moves pre-season (playing Trengove as a ruck-forward and playing Wood forward) and other list management decisions seem far, far worse than getting Trengove.

bornadog
21-06-2018, 02:24 PM

We didn't have Naughton when we signed him so he's out of the equation. Young is raw as hell and not ready, Adams perpetually injured so not bankable, Roberts nowhere near it and Collins would be ranked bottom of the lot.

We went into the season with Cordy about the only KPD you could rely on, noting Morris has battled injury since 2016 (even during 2016).

The weird moves pre-season (playing Trengove as a ruck-forward and playing Wood forward) and other list management decisions seem far, far worse than getting Trengove.

Don't forget Naughton is 18 years old, Young 19 years old, and Collins 20, with all their birthdays in December.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2018, 02:38 PM

My main concern that with Cordy we now have 7 key defenders and yet in today’s football with the game usually won in the midfield we have given a low priority to recruiting match winners where it counts most. Collingwood for example go out and recruit 3 quality midfielders from GWS. Hawthorn target Mitchell and O’Meara from two interstate Clubs. Richmond WCE SS Collingwood,Geelong ,are all strong in the midfield. For us to become a finals contender again our focus needs to change dramatically.

Sedat
21-06-2018, 03:37 PM
My main concern that with Cordy we now have 7 key defenders and yet in today’s football with the game usually won in the midfield we have given a low priority to recruiting match winners where it counts most. Collingwood for example go out and recruit 3 quality midfielders from GWS. Hawthorn target Mitchell and O’Meara from two interstate Clubs. Richmond WCE SS Collingwood,Geelong ,are all strong in the midfield. For us to become a finals contender again our focus needs to change dramatically.
Cannot like this post enough

Axe Man
21-06-2018, 04:07 PM
Bont, McLean and Boyd all training today.
https://s8.postimg.cc/5pemd9d1x/35781357_10156394180182487_1896579204825219072_o.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/8w95wvxht/)
https://s8.postimg.cc/6exepmlb9/35801570_10156394179817487_8320627601236295680_o.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/4zvu0wk81/)

Twodogs
21-06-2018, 04:20 PM
No strapping on the Bont's knee or at all for that matter. That's good to see.

bornadog
21-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Out: Wood, Macrae, Webb

In: Young, Jong, Greene

Axe Man
21-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Out: Wood, Macrae

In: Young, Jong

You need to find a replacement for Webb as well.

bornadog
21-06-2018, 04:25 PM
You need to find a replacement for Webb as well.

Bloody injuries - ok done.

If Suckling fit, he comes in instead of Young

Mofra
21-06-2018, 04:32 PM
I agree we need more midfielders, and I also agree our list management has been poor in the last two seasons but Trengove is hardly the straw breaking the camel's back and isn't where I'd be pointing the finger. In fact he's more necessary than a whole host of players on our list.

I like Campbell but Bevo clearly doesn't rate him, why is he on our list?
Fletcher Roberts getting a 2 year deal when we won't play him and he's not even a back up to our back up options.
Prudden was held on for too long because he's a "good bloke"
NMM is well behind the pack, Lynch a mile off in a position we're well set for, Roarke Smith line ball. We kept all three as rookies.

That's before we even consider how high list turnover will be this year under a new list management team and an obvious need for running players. Trengove is playing senior footy which is more than we can say for a bunch of our guys right now.

G-Mo77
21-06-2018, 07:22 PM
The terminator is back. Nothing will keep this man down!!

Mantis
21-06-2018, 07:26 PM
What a horribly unbalanced team.. Lin Jong must be horribly out of form to not play, or maybe just not in the good books like a few on the bench.

chef
21-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Ins and outs??

Mantis
21-06-2018, 07:29 PM
In - Adams, Naughton, Dunkley, Morris

Out - Macrae, Wood, Webb, Biggs

chef
21-06-2018, 07:32 PM

Thanks.

Geez. Maybe Adams to play forward?

G-Mo77
21-06-2018, 07:33 PM
What a horribly unbalanced team.. Lin Jong must be horribly out of form to not play, or maybe just not in the good books like a few on the bench.

I'm just happy to see Morris back and hope he can stay healthy and finish strong. I'll critique later.

Greystache
21-06-2018, 07:50 PM
Hard to understand that team considering we're desperate for more midfield impact. Seems like we're accepting the back half of the season will be beltings and we're just getting out 22 players so we don't get fined.

Rocket Science
21-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Shall be watching with great trepidation to see if Adams can string some games together.

It's a top four pick or bust at this stage of proceedings. I gather we're scouting hard.

The Underdog
21-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Hard to understand that team considering we're desperate for more midfield impact. Seems like we're accepting the back half of the season will be beltings and we're just getting out 22 players so we don't get fined.

Aside from possibly Jong though, who is available to play as a mid? Greene seems to be a forward pocket. Porter isn’t ready. Lynch is named as an emergency despite an injury and no form. It’s not a balanced team but it stems from the broader list management problem.

bornadog
21-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Aside from possibly Jong though, who is available to play as a mid? Greene seems to be a forward pocket. Porter isn’t ready. Lynch is named as an emergency despite an injury and no form. It’s not a balanced team but it stems from the broader list management problem.
Macrae is a loss and yes we don’t have anyone to replace him . The Bont will have to play most of his time on the ball

Sedat
21-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Western Fullbacks

Eastdog
21-06-2018, 08:27 PM
- Defensive power a plus with our ins to try and combat Brown. Wood out hurts but honestly our captain isn't in great form. I hope to see more from JJ. Have Moz back is great.
- Midfield power McLean, Hunter, Bont, Wallis need to step up.
- Forwards - hoping that Schache has a good game in tandem with Tom Boyd. Gowers and Lipinski been good up there too Lipinkski still young as is Gowers. Schache right now is a accurate kick and Mitch Wallis would be handy pushing up forward a bit.
- Rucks - An area that needs a addressing. Hopefully we see Tom Campbell play soon.

Eastdog
21-06-2018, 08:29 PM
From our outs based on form Macrae is s big out. Wood, Webb and Biggs out of form.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2018, 08:41 PM

There is little initiative being shown in team placements. With Adams and Morris returning to defence it is time to get more team value out of Suckling Williams and Crozier. Both Suckling and Crozier have played forward with their previous Clubs and Williams gives every indication of having pace and size to assist Bont in the midfield. It is still a mystery to me and others how Tom Boyd survives at the expense of Campbell and Roughead. We continue to pick a forward line that is incapable of kicking a winning score.

Twodogs
21-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Western Fullbacks

De-fence!
De-fence!
De-fence!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
21-06-2018, 08:49 PM
So glad my son will get to see Moz in action, in his first live Dog's game. Irrespective of the result, I know my boy will one day understand what a privilege it was to see the great man in action. Might be the only time he gets to see him play, although judging by his comments on 'On The Mark' he will be dragged kicking and screaming into retirement.

The bulldog tragician
21-06-2018, 09:00 PM
There is little initiative being shown in team placements. With Adams and Morris returning to defence it is time to get more team value out of Suckling Williams and Crozier. Both Suckling and Crozier have played forward with their previous Clubs and Williams gives every indication of having pace and size to assist Bont in the midfield. It is still a mystery to me and others how Tom Boyd survives at the expense of Campbell and Roughead. We continue to pick a forward line that is incapable of kicking a winning score.

Suckling is still out I assume.

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-06-2018, 09:12 PM
Suckling is still out I assume.

He is still out this week. Certain people had Jong as our best in the VFL last week and given our mediocre midfield his omission is strange as he is also capable of going forward and kicking a goal.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Some of you mock, but we are ahead of it as usual with our match committee. I just checked Norths side and North have recalled Carey, Longmire, McKernan & 'The Fridge' Roberts with Brown & Waite. So I think we're well placed to defend their crazy tall forward line. Hopefully Trengove can go with McKernan for the second ruck dual.

ratsmac
21-06-2018, 09:38 PM
Macrae out is huge for us. On the flip side we have to find someone to fill the void. Not exactly sure who can step up in place of Macrae but I'd love it to be Dunks. Hopefully his spell at Footscray has helped him regain some form.

Moz, Naughton and Adams all in at once is surprising. You would have to say Adams plays forward and be sent back of Brown is getting hold of us.

Having Moz back is good just because. He brings more than what we lose with Wood going out.

I think we are a sneaky chance this week but all I really want to see is a 4 quarter effort and clean ball use considering how we are positioned at the minute.

bornadog
21-06-2018, 09:55 PM
He is still out this week. Certain people had Jong as our best in the VFL last week and given our mediocre midfield his omission is strange as he is also capable of going forward and kicking a goal.

Not according to Smads57, he was pretty average

Agree with Josie's comments on individual AFL listed player's form this afternoon and that the better players for the Scray were probably the VFL listed players..

Some personal thoughts:
1. I'd be reluctant to elevate Greene yet - tends to play well for a half and then disappears.
2. I'd like Young to start going for marks versus always playing the defensive punch - particularly at VFL level and at this stage of the season and his own development.
3. Jong put in a shocker and would be pretty disappointed with his game regardless of what his stats might say post game
4. I didn't think anyone deserved elevation from this afternoon's game to the AFL team, but suspect someone will need to go up to cover injuries

On a very different note, there was a number of AFL listed players at the game supporting the VFL boys.

Bullies
21-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Suckling is still out I assume. He will still get bagged by those who don't rate him

josie
22-06-2018, 12:00 AM
was hoping Campbell and Greene were called up. Any chance Boyd might be late withdrawal? And thought he hry’d give Bonti a rest. Great to see morris back. And Adams. X fingers no more injuries. Oooga booga looga loo yoo to you godam footy gods.

Twodogs
22-06-2018, 01:23 AM
Some of you mock, but we are ahead of it as usual with our match committee. I just checked Norths side and North have recalled Carey, Longmire, McKernan & 'The Fridge' Roberts with Brown & Waite. So I think we're well placed to defend their crazy tall forward line. Hopefully Trengove can go with McKernan for the second ruck dual.

Jock Spencer and Malcolm Blight, he always had a day out against us.

So glad my son will get to see Moz in action, in his first live Dog's game. Irrespective of the result, I know my boy will one day understand what a privilege it was to see the great man in action. Might be the only time he gets to see him play, although judging by his comments on 'On The Mark' he will be dragged kicking and screaming into retirement.

Ted Whitten's last match as a player was my first match.

Rocket Science
22-06-2018, 01:31 AM
No Macrae means that's 40 less times we get it than the other mob do.

Good thing we're drowning in backmen. We might need them all at once.

Twodogs
22-06-2018, 02:11 AM
No Macrae means that's 40 less times we get it than the other mob do.

Good thing we're drowning in backmen. We might need them all at once.

They have mixed up whole ground defence with a whole ground of defenders.

Mofra
22-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Our desperate lack of midfielders again on show. I have little doubt if we had any midfielders giving any indication of being ready at VFL level we'd play them.

Crozier on a wing is interesting - he seems much better back but could be one we push up the ground (he did spend about a half forward against Freo didn't he?)

Axe Man
22-06-2018, 10:57 AM
So Trengove to Brown, Cordy to Mason Wood, maybe Morris to Ziebell, so where does that leave Naughton?

Bont to play as many midfield minutes as possible to help cover for Macrae and Adams to pick up the slack forward?

Crozier played most of his career at Freo forward so he can also help there too.

Best I can come up with, I know our options are limited but I'm confused.

jeemak
22-06-2018, 11:05 AM
Trengove to play ruck/forward role much of the game perhaps. Adams forward at times, Naughton back?

Mofra
22-06-2018, 11:07 AM
So Trengove to Brown, Cordy to Mason Wood, maybe Morris to Ziebell, so where does that leave Naughton?

Bont to play as many midfield minutes as possible to help cover for Macrae and Adams to pick up the slack forward?

Crozier played most of his career at Freo forward so he can also help there too.

Best I can come up with, I know our options are limited but I'm confused.
Trying to apply logic to our selections is a recipe for disaster this year.
Save your mental health and just go with the surprise on Saturday.

Happy Days
22-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Adams will play forward if the VFL is anything to go by. I’d expect Naughton to play Wood’s role on no one in particular.

I think Naughton is more nimble than he is being given credit for.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 05:26 PM
Adams will play forward if the VFL is anything to go by. I’d expect Naughton to play Wood’s role on no one in particular.

I think Naughton is more nimble than he is being given credit for.

Surprised Naughton is in after missing 6 games and being an 18 year old kid in his first year.

westdog54
22-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Adams must surely be playing forward. Naughton in a more rebounding/ intercepting type role?

It'll be a mystery only solved at the first bounce.

When you look at who has been selected for Footscray it shows how bare the cupboard really is.

LostDoggy
22-06-2018, 09:21 PM
Surprised Naughton is in after missing 6 games and being an 18 year old kid in his first year.

I agree. Young has been solid a few weeks in a row at Footscray. Giving him a shot and Naughton 1 in the VFL must have been tempting.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
23-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Please sell me a narrative that I may weave to my son tomorrow, at his first live game.
He seems to be dismissive of my tune that 'yeah, we're gonna get pantsed, BUT that is character building and instructive as a Doggies supporter.. ....

josie
23-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Tell him to watch Richards and Bonti and Williams and Naughton and Schache and Boyd and enjoy a glimpse of our next premiership nucleus. Or tell him to watch Morris who never gives up and has been our best backman in living memory, possibly ever.