PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 14, 2018 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
30-05-2018, 08:58 PM
This is the round 14, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
23-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
23-06-2018, 10:52 PM
Anchor

Mitch *!*!*!*!ing Wallis

bulldogtragic
23-06-2018, 11:05 PM
B

Naughton. What a beautiful kick at goal.
Schache. Did a lot of gut running and provided a target.
Crozier. A great all round game.
Gowers. Ditto.

A

Mitch Wallis...
Smith & Honeychurch. Almost like going in with 20 players.
Hunter's continued lazy kicking and poor decision making.

westbulldog
23-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Bankers
Adams & Moz in the backline.
The continued improvement of Schache, Naughton and Richards.
Cordy's aggression in the forward line.

Anchors
Anyone who thinks one play alone lost us the game.
Honeychurch, how many chances does one get ?
Hunter, what is he trying to prove marking Ben Brown ?

Stefcep
23-06-2018, 11:08 PM
Bankers
Adams & Moz in the backline.
The continued improvement of Schache, Naughton and Richards.
Cordy's aggression in the forward line.

Anchors
Anyone who thinks one play alone lost us the game.
Honeychurch, how many chances does one get ?
Hunter, what is he trying to prove marking Ben Brown ?

Not all plays are equal. When the game is on the line, the plays matter more. Good players know this. Others kick it on the full.

Mofra
23-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Bankers:
1. 3 good games in a row by Crozier, all better than the last
2. Well done Caleb Daniel to bounce back after a terrible game last week
3. Gowers is fast becoming the best rookie pick up since 2012

Anchors:
1. Wallis & Hunter as senior players getting no penetration on their kicks. Add Dahl and I'm not sure we can carry three senior guys who can't kick more than 40m if we want to challenge again.
2. Roarke is a good story but for balance he has to go out and let another of our natural rebounders take a position in the back 6.
3. 46 seconds to go and an inside 50 entry begging, literally anything would have been better than an OOB on the full giving North possession and a transition play. Wallis should be embarrassed.

Mofra
23-06-2018, 11:13 PM
He was near the top of our kms covered from memeory (Zaine was first). For a tall 20 year old I also was happy with his efforts to keep presenting.

westbulldog
23-06-2018, 11:14 PM
re : Not all plays are equal. When the game is on the line, the plays matter more. Good players know this. Others kick it on the full. Well you would presumably drop Lipinski and Schache for easy misses and Dunkley for his clunker out of the backline and countless others for turnovers.

Stefcep
23-06-2018, 11:22 PM
re : Not all plays are equal. When the game is on the line, the plays matter more. Good players know this. Others kick it on the full. Well you would presumably drop Lipinski and Schache for easy misses and Dunkley for his clunker out of the backline and countless others for turnovers.

Nope. That lest Wallis off the hook. The game was not on the line then. It was when Wallis did what he did. No excuses.

westbulldog
23-06-2018, 11:25 PM
Nope. That lest Wallis off the hook. The game was not on the line then. It was when Wallis did what he did. No excuses.
ok, he meant to do it :)

bulldogtragic
23-06-2018, 11:28 PM
B

Billy Gowers being further up the ground worked out bigly:

Gowers - Most Disposals 22, Most Kicks 16, Most Marks 12, Most Goals 3, Most Clearances 2, Most Inside 50's 9, Most Rebound 50's 2, Highest SC Points 126 & Highest AFL FP's 119

(Courtesy of The Career Best Thread)

EasternWest
23-06-2018, 11:34 PM
B

Billy Gowers being further up the ground worked out bigly:

Gowers - Most Disposals 22, Most Kicks 16, Most Marks 12, Most Goals 3, Most Clearances 2, Most Inside 50's 9, Most Rebound 50's 2, Highest SC Points 126 & Highest AFL FP's 119

(Courtesy of The Career Best Thread)

Put all that aside though, it felt like things were happening when he got the ball out there.

He's still a work in progress, but he's really giving us something.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Bankers
1. Crozier - that was hopefully the making of him as a Dog's player. I've been very hard on him..but credit where credit is due, he played out of his skin tonight
2. Gowers - breakout game.
3. My 5 year old son Joshua. Has had a huge day and whilst his batteries were drained, he kept rising to the challenge and cheered his heart out and waved his cheersquad flag all night. Gutted we couldn't get over the line, but an unforgettable first game experience all the same.

Anchors
1. Hunter just cruelled us most of the night with his shoddy disposal
2.Honeychurch and Roarke are Smith just don't look up to the level.
3. Our goalkicking yet again was costly.

westdog54
24-06-2018, 12:20 AM
B

Naughton. What a beautiful kick at goal.
Crozier. A great all round game.
Gowers. Ditto.

A

Mitch Wallis...
Smith & Honeychurch. Almost like going in with 20 players.
Hunter's continued lazy kicking and poor decision making.

I don't think I could have said it better. These were the exact players I had in mind when I opened the thread.

I feel for Mitch as he'd had a decent night, but FMD that was awful.

Ozza
24-06-2018, 12:39 AM
Bankers:

Crozier - needed a few weeks settling into a new side, and coming off a round 1 knee injury. Now settling in well and stepping up in Suckling absence. Might prove a handy pick up.
Schache - looking like a footballer. Looking a handy pick up.
Gowers - Seems to add more and more to his game. Not every week, but over time. Still ironing out some kinks (the odd crazy decision) but he is certainly learning to use his attributes. Looking a handy pick up.

Anchors:

Honeychurch - its gone on too long. Enough already Bevo.
Roarke Smith - I’m just not seeing what the coach is.

merantau
24-06-2018, 12:48 AM
Bankers.
1. Gowers, Adams, Crozier
2. Naughton
3. Run and spread was a lot better.
Anchors
1 Goal kicking
2 So many times we gave defenders a chance with terrible delivery into the forward line.
3 Some really poor decision making.

bornadog
24-06-2018, 01:03 AM
Bankers

1. Naughton cont. mark and goal in the 3rd quarter.
2. Boyd cont mark and goal in 3rd quarter. Also the wonderful Torp in the last - great to see it.
3. The MC for fooling all of us and changing the team around it nearly worked. We thought we had too many defenders in but Cordy, Naughton to forward line and with Adams and Morris in defence we looked more balanced.

Anchors

1. The last 46 seconds.
2. The 4 umpires, some of the inconsistent decisions were really appalling.
3. The North fau tough men act, what a joke, even Higgins is part of it now elbowing Bonti in the head while the Bont is lying down on his back. Wally really gave it to Higgins.

Remi Moses
24-06-2018, 01:10 AM
1. The return of Morris , Adams and Naughton
2. Crozier is really looking a shrewd trade
3. Ball movement and intensity was good in the first half

1. The lack of composure from senior players
40 seconds to go deep in our 50 the game should not be lost
2. Honeychurch and Roarke Smith aren’t the answer
3. We riverted to our usual bombing into 50 in the second half

josie
24-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Bankers
Gowers’ spark and marking
Naughton’s goals and marking
Adams’ intercept marking

Anchors
Wallis’ OOB-you’re better than that
Hunters’ turnovers and missed goal
JJ’s softness-yes he was better with his run and carry tonight but quite sure he squibbed going for the ball in a 50 50 situation, pretty sure it started a chain that led to a north goal-toughen up JJ, the first and second year players are putting their body in the line and so should you

Remi Moses
24-06-2018, 01:13 AM
Special mention to Billy Gowers also
Thought he was excellent

Dry Rot
24-06-2018, 01:18 AM
Bankers

Crozier

Gowers

Dunkley as a tagger (for part of the game)

Anchors

Same old:

Decision making

Handballs to a guy in a worse position

Bad kicking (field and goal kicking)

AndrewP6
24-06-2018, 01:26 AM
B
Gowers. Liked him from day 1, continues to go well.
Crozier - showing what he can do.
Schache - good signs again.

A
Hunter. Doesn't threaten with the ball.
Wallis - love him, but THAT kick :eek:
Dropping a game that we should have won. !(#*$)!@#! that hurt.

Bullies
24-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Nope. That lest Wallis off the hook. The game was not on the line then. It was when Wallis did what he did. No excuses. You are right that moment cost us. He had time and space no excuses.

Bullies
24-06-2018, 08:39 AM
Put all that aside though, it felt like things were happening when he got the ball out there.

He's still a work in progress, but he's really giving us something. He didn't give away 50's and free kicks which frustrates all the doubters

SlimPickens
24-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Bankers
Naughton- contested well, clunked a couple and converted.

Wallis- 99.9% of his game was very good, contested animal.

Crozier- outstanding game, if he can close the gap between last night and his poor performances. He’ll play a lot of footy.

Schache- field kicking was outstanding. One to Gowers running back towards goal was outstanding

Anchor-
Wally- I understood the option (Gowers had made space on the lead) but to take the difficult kick and miss it was really poor. Needed to play within his limitations at the crucial part of the game.

Boyd- needed to be on the defensive side of Goldy in the last 46 secs. Wasn’t and got burnt.

Dunkley- Higgins destroyed him, needed a better effort but just didn’t have the tools to go with him.

westdog54
24-06-2018, 10:34 AM
Schache- field kicking was outstanding. One to Gowers running back towards goal was outstanding.

Wasn't it? Put it right on his head and he barely had to break stride. Outstanding.

SlimPickens
24-06-2018, 10:40 AM
Wasn't it? Put it right on his head and he barely had to break stride. Outstanding.

Took the hit as well, excellent skill execution under pressure

EasternWest
24-06-2018, 11:27 AM
Schache- field kicking was outstanding. One to Gowers running back towards goal was outstanding

I love watching him kick. Such a natural.

EasternWest
24-06-2018, 11:32 AM
B.

Schache to Gowers. Great kick.
Naughton shimmy and charge at goal. Shame it hit the post, was exciting stuff.
Little Red crumbing goal. He's a ripper.

Special note: Having Adams, Morris and Naughton back actually made us look like a side that can clunk a few.

A.

Hunter has regressed to the point where I never want to see him with the ball. What's happened? He really worked hard on his disposal and now he's just woeful.
Johannisen needs a run in the two's.

KT31
24-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Bankers.
List management team for actually improving our list this season, unlike the previous one.( Gowers, Crozier and Schache all looked the goods)
The kids who are standing up and showing us a bright future.
Caleb little side kick to Naughton was just absolute footy magic.

Anchors
JJ - if you are going to come out and say 'that you and the senior players are letting us down", then step up and don't squib the contest.
Not being able to keep possession of the ball and our turn overs cost us.
The lack of a ruckman is costing us dearly.

Eastdog
24-06-2018, 03:19 PM
Bankers:

1. Naughton - was great up forward clunking some marks - great pick

2. Crozier - another good game from him. A good get.

3. Schache - coming along well. We need to be patient with him but he is giving us something up there along with Gowers and Lipinski.

Last draft it seems we have done well and the next draft will be strong so not a terrible postition to be in currently from that perspective.

Anchors:

1. Wallis out on the full - the last 46 seconds so bad

2. Some of our misses at goal that would have made a difference

3. The turnovers just hurt

Happy Days
24-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Bankers

1. Me - got the new TV working at my partner's mum's new beachhouse at exactly 7:24pm after about 3 hours of trying; ended up having to hit the aerial with a giant stick from over the balcony.

2. Crozier - last week's performance was respectable but this was actually excellent. Showed the ability to defend well one on one, looked comfortable under high balls and was generally very skilful. Big tick to a player I had not at all been excited by; speaking of

3. Gowers - still bloody infuriating to watch but credit where it's due, was outstanding. First game where his overhead marking has been a consistent feature all season, and has improved his work-rate (and perhaps even his appetite) leaps and bounds from even a month ago.

Anchors

1. Roarke - seems like a cool guy but isn't an AFL player.

2. Wallis' last kick - ruined what was an otherwise solid outing. If you're going to piss and moan when you're (fairly) left out of the side then you have to execute basic skills (especially those such as short distance passing which are regarded as a strength of yours) at crucial times, and actually show that you deserve to be there.

3. Brendan McCartney for alienating Shaun Higgins - he continues to hurt us from beyond the grave. Really hope some other club is stupid enough to give him a shot at the head job.

Twodogs
24-06-2018, 07:51 PM
B.

Daniel. Great to see the deft little kick back in use.

Naughton. First game back and he's doing Wayne Carey impersonations.

A.

The 26 seconds from 0:46 to 0:20. May it burn for a long time.
Tom Boyd. Please can we just play him in the forward line

westdog54
24-06-2018, 09:22 PM
B.

Daniel. Great to see the deft little kick back in use.

Naughton. First game back and he's doing Wayne Carey impersonations.

A.

The 26 seconds from 0:46 to 0:20. May it burn for a long time.
Tom Boyd. Please can we just play him in the forward line

The most infuriating thing about Boydy all night was his contested mark. Namely that he was lucky to hold the bloody thing. At one point I'm sure he had it pinned against the BACK of one of his hands as he controlled it. The slightest touch from a defender and he doesn't stick it.

He's completely devoid of confidence ATM.

Eastdog
24-06-2018, 09:29 PM
The most infuriating thing about Boydy all night was his contested mark. Namely that he was lucky to hold the bloody thing. At one point I'm sure he had it pinned against the BACK of one of his hands as he controlled it. The slightest touch from a defender and he doesn't stick it.

We need 2016 GF Tom Boyd to come in.

Twodogs
24-06-2018, 09:51 PM

But at least he held it, he's a different player and different things happen when we play him forward. I really loved the way he launched himself at the ball he in that contest and it's the sort of thing he doesn't do playing on the ball. He is devoid of confidence but I can only see that returning with him playing forward.

AndrewP6
24-06-2018, 10:17 PM
I can't believe we're criticising a guy for holding a mark. Sure, if he drops a sitter, get on his case. But he held the mark.

Flamethrower
24-06-2018, 10:35 PM
Tom Boyd should have been out for 4 to 6 weeks with a compound dislocation of his finger - the fact that he played despite this should be lauded, not criticized.

Mitch Wallis misses a 50m pass by 10cm that would have iced the game and is crucified - lucky he doesn't play soccer for Columbia or people would be calling for his assassination.

ratsmac
24-06-2018, 11:43 PM

I thought he done well to hold it with a broken finger. His hands have never been very strong, well since he's played with us. However his best position is FF amd not number 1 ruck imo. I would be starting him at FF and then move him around if he's not getting a touch. I think his confidence levels aren't too bad but rather his fitness to ruck all day. He looked knackered by half-time. Goldy ran him ragged.

Bullies
25-06-2018, 10:26 AM
Tom Boyd should have been out for 4 to 6 weeks with a compound dislocation of his finger - the fact that he played despite this should be lauded, not criticized.

Mitch Wallis misses a 50m pass by 10cm that would have iced the game and is crucified - lucky he doesn't play soccer for Columbia or people would be calling for his assassination. Suckling must have been out so the next whipping boy is Tom Boyd. People need to watch what he brings to the contest around the ground.

Twodogs
25-06-2018, 05:53 PM
Suckling must have been out so the next whipping boy is Tom Boyd. People need to watch what he brings to the contest around the ground.

And at centre bounces. It's his job to make sure no opposition player runs through the middle of the ground.

Sedat
25-06-2018, 06:09 PM
Mitch Wallis misses a 50m pass by 10cm that would have iced the game and is crucified - lucky he doesn't play soccer for Columbia or people would be calling for his assassination.
I can live with skill errors, but basic decision making errors are much harder. Mitch knew how little time was left, and he went the quick play (poor decision #1) and took the low percentage option (poor decision #2). The chip kick to Honeychurch on the 50 was all that was required to finish the game - HC could have then taken 30 seconds to have a shot and it's game over.

In Mitch's defence, there were many futher errors made by our players that gifted North the winning goal. Morris not killing the contest when he went off his man was really poor. Crozier gave far took much goal side latitude to Higgins. Trengove also left his man (Brown) and didn't kill the contest in the middle. How we conspired to lose that match, in possession on the HFF and a free player on the 50m with 46 seconds left on the clock, is impressive in its own perverse way.

bornadog
25-06-2018, 06:25 PM
I can live with skill errors, but basic decision making errors are much harder. Mitch knew how little time was left, and he went the quick play (poor decision #1) and took the low percentage option (poor decision #2). The chip kick to Honeychurch on the 50 was all that was required to finish the game - HC could have then taken 30 seconds to have a shot and it's game over.

In Mitch's defence, there were many further errors made by our players that gifted North the winning goal. Morris not killing the contest when he went off his man was really poor. Crozier gave far took much goal side latitude to Higgins. Trengove also left his man (Brown) and didn't kill the contest in the middle. How we conspired to lose that match, in possession on the HFF and a free player on the 50m with 46 seconds left on the clock, is impressive in its own perverse way.

At the end of the day, we should have wrapped this game by 3qrt time. They kicked 5 goals to our 2 and Hunter missed a crucial goal right on the siren running into an open goal. Many things in a game and they all change the course of the game.

Mantis
27-06-2018, 11:16 AM

In what world do you miss 4-6 weeks with this injury?

Twodogs
27-06-2018, 11:31 AM
In what world do you miss 4-6 weeks with this injury?

Was it you that said you'd had one playing cricket?