PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 15, 2018 vs Geelong

Eastdog
30-05-2018, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 15, 2018 match against Geelong at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
23-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
23-06-2018, 10:56 PM
In

Greene, Jong, Suckling, hopefully some run and carry player is fit

Out

Smith, Honeychurch, Lipinski, JJ/Hunter (leaders should be held to the same standards as followers)

Mofra
23-06-2018, 10:57 PM
In

Greene, Jong, Suckling, hopefully some run and carry player is fit

Out

Smith, Honeychurch, Lipinski, JJ/Hunter (leaders should be held to the same standards as followers)
JJ? Seriously?

westbulldog
23-06-2018, 11:01 PM
Out Honeychurch, Smith
In Suckling, Jong

bulldogtragic
23-06-2018, 11:02 PM
JJ? Seriously?

I thought his run was good. I thought his kicking was by and large lacking. Hunter would be my first out, but I see JJ as an easier call for the MC if they want to make such a decision to drop a senior player like they've done with Stringer & Libba previously.

Mofra
23-06-2018, 11:05 PM
I thought his run was good. I thought his kicking was by and large lacking. Hunter would be my first out, but I see JJ as an easier call for the MC if they want to make such a decision to drop a senior player like they've done with Stringer & Libba previously.
I thought some of his sweep work and run was excellent.

Might be hard to find too many ready to come in from the VFL, at this stage I'd take out Smith (switch a Williams/JJ/Richards back) and bring in Greene, if only for team balance.
Suckling an automatic in if fit. Halftime interview mentioned he has to see how it came up after his rehab training today.

bornadog
23-06-2018, 11:06 PM
Out Honeychurch, Smith
In Suckling, Jong
This and HC to never return

MrMahatma
23-06-2018, 11:36 PM
This and HC to never return

Him and Smith just offer nothing. Tonight showed them up. And it was prob Smith’s best ever game for us. He was rubbish.

bornadog
23-06-2018, 11:37 PM
Him and Smith just offer nothing. Tonight showed them up. And it was prob Smith’s best ever game for us. He was rubbish.

Played his 6th game? I will give him some leaway.

josie
24-06-2018, 12:13 AM
Honey, Smith, Lipinski out and Greene, Suckling and Jong in. If Suckling not ready Lipinski gets another game.

Sick of Hunter’s turnovers too. What would he be worth on trade table and is he out of contract end of this year? I like him and know he is part of leadership group but he seems to have plateaued and still lots of turnovers, not that many tackles and awful shot for goal. Sorry, I know this is wrong thread for trade talk.

bornadog
24-06-2018, 12:33 AM
Honey, Smith, Lipinski out and Greene, Suckling and Jong in. If Suckling not ready Lipinski gets another game.

Sick of Hunter’s turnovers too. What would he be worth on trade table and is he out of contract end of this year? I like him and know he is part of leadership group but he seems to have plateaued and still lots of turnovers, not that many tackles and awful shot for goal. Sorry, I know this is wrong thread for trade talk.

Hunters miss at the end of the 3rd quarter running into an open goal was unforgivable.

Remi Moses
24-06-2018, 12:41 AM
Suckling for Smith
Lipinski for either Greene
Jong for Honeychurch
I know Roarke hasn’t played many games, but with his injuries and time on the list, he needs to make every post a winner

SlimPickens
24-06-2018, 08:25 AM
In: Suckling and Jong
Out: Honeychurch and Smith

The Bulldogs Bite
24-06-2018, 02:34 PM
In: Suckling and Jong
Out: Honeychurch and Smith

This.

I’m a broken record but I can’t fathom how we play these two. Both are suburban level players.

Smads57
24-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Sorry to be a spoil sport for some Woof 'selectors' above, but there is no way I'd bring Jong into the side - his form at VFL level doesn't warrant it.

My thoughts on team selection:
If Suckling is available, then he replaces R Smith, otherwise the only change I'd make is Greene in for HC and move Richards to play HC's forward pressure role and Greene into Richards position on a wing (Greene is not a 'pressure' forward).

I would then consider other positional changes within the selected 22 to cover for the lack of midfield depth. This week's move of Gowers into that role being an example.

bornadog
24-06-2018, 04:30 PM
Sorry to be a spoil sport for some Woof 'selectors' above, but there is no way I'd bring Jong into the side - his form at VFL level doesn't warrant it.

My thoughts on team selection:
If Suckling is available, then he replaces R Smith, otherwise the only change I'd make is Greene in for HC and move Richards to play HC's forward pressure role and Greene into Richards position on a wing (Greene is not a 'pressure' forward).

I would then consider other positional changes within the selected 22 to cover for the lack of midfield depth. This week's move of Gowers into that role being an example.

Makes sense, I just thought Jong would be better than HC, but that is the only reason. I haven't been impressed with Jong one bit the last two weeks.

Happy Days
24-06-2018, 07:07 PM
In: Greene, Suckling

Out: Honeychurch, Smith

Never play those two guys again under any circumstances. I have no idea what Tom Campbell did but pretend these guys did the same.

GVGjr
24-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Did we go into the game last night a bit tall? I'm thinking we need to drop a tall for a midfielder but it's a hard task.

Happy Days
24-06-2018, 07:17 PM
Did we go into the game last night a bit tall? I'm thinking we need to drop a tall for a midfielder but it's a hard task.

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how we structured up last night. Schache, Naughton and Cordy (and even Adams) are all pretty nimble and good below the knees. I liked how we looked last night better than at any time all year.

Twodogs
24-06-2018, 07:40 PM
I was actually pleasantly surprised with how we structured up last night. Schache, Naughton and Cordy (and even Adams) are all pretty nimble and good below the knees. I liked how we looked last night better than at any time all year.

I agree. Even though we were out scored I thought that we held it together pretty well in the third quarter when North threw the kithchen sink at us and didn't get blown away. For the first time in a while we worked our way through a bad patch and came out the other side still in a position to win the game. It was a promising sign,

bornadog
24-06-2018, 07:49 PM

Maybe we have to match up differently for Geelong.

westdog54
24-06-2018, 08:40 PM

Naughton is a very smooth mover. Very nimble, thinks on his feet when he has the ball and reacts to what is going on around him. His little glide through North's defence for his running shot on goal is not new for him, he did something similar against Essendon's forward line.

westdog54
24-06-2018, 08:42 PM
With a six day break coming it wouldn't surprise me to see a player or two rested.

Incidentally, how the *!*!*!*! are we coming off a six day break against a team coming off a bye?

More scheduling stupidity from the AFEL.

Eastdog
24-06-2018, 09:35 PM
With a six day break coming it wouldn't surprise me to see a player or two rested.

Incidentally, how the *!*!*!*! are we coming off a six day break against a team coming off a bye?

Yeah how does that work.

kruder
24-06-2018, 09:58 PM
In

Sucking Greene Jong

If Sucking isn't ready I'd play Lynch lets see what he has got.

Out

Smith, Honey and linpinski all have been poor for a few weeks now.

bornadog
24-06-2018, 11:36 PM
In

Sucking Greene Jong

If Sucking isn't ready I'd play Lynch lets see what he has got.

Out

Smith, Honey and linpinski all have been poor for a few weeks now.

Lippa had a poor game last week, but he was pretty good last night with 16 disposals. His gut running is incredible for a virtually first year player .

SonofScray
25-06-2018, 03:31 AM
Greene has earned a debut, forcing his way into the team.

bornadog
25-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Greene has earned a debut, forcing his way into the team.

He needs to come in at some stage, let's see what he is made of.

Mofra
25-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Most teams lose the first week back after the bye.

It sounds counter-intuitive but it could actually work to our advantage.

Bullies
25-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Maybe Jong plays because of the big bodies in the midfield - Selwood, Dangerfield and co

Twodogs
25-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Most teams lose the first week back after the bye.

It sounds counter-intuitive but it could actually work to our advantage.

That was my first thought. We must both be slightly delusional.

kruder
25-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Lippa had a poor game last week, but he was pretty good last night with 16 disposals. His gut running is incredible for a virtually first year player .

Yep agree but I think he can go back to VFL and learn how to win more of the ball.

Mantis
26-06-2018, 09:55 AM
I’m in the never again camp for Smith & HC, just miles off being capable AFL players, but it’s clear they are well liked by the MC so who knows.

Might be a bit tall too in defence so not sure what we do there either.

Interesting week.

Bulldog Joe
26-06-2018, 10:43 AM
VFL reports indicate Young and Greene playing very well and possibly deserving promition.

While coming in against Geelong is a tougher task, I would be happy to see Young for Smith as I am sure that would improve us, despite adding extra height.

Greene for Lipinski is also a reasonable swap as Patty is probably in need of a spell, even though he is showing a bit.

Could perhaps replace Honeychurch instead, but would prefer Jong for Honeychurch as he is a more hardened body.

Ins
Young, Greene, Jong
Outs
Smith, Lipinski, Honeychurch

bornadog
26-06-2018, 10:47 AM
VFL reports indicate Young and Greene playing very well and possibly deserving promition.

While coming in against Geelong is a tougher task, I would be happy to see Young for Smith as I am sure that would improve us, despite adding extra height.

Greene for Lipinski is also a reasonable swap as Patty is probably in need of a spell, even though he is showing a bit.

If Young comes in we will also have Adams, Naughton, Cordy, Schache, Boyd and Trengove as talls.

Happy Days
26-06-2018, 01:54 PM
Just on Young - he's clearly athletically superior, has better skills and is better overhead than Roarke. I don't see what he doesn't do that Roarke does; is it just a perception that we would be too tall?

I think at this stage of his development he's perfectly capable of playing on mid-sized forwards.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-06-2018, 05:57 PM
We continue to get beaten in the ruck and would prefer to see Roughead or Campbell replace Tom Boyd.
In. Roughead Suckling and Jong
Out. T Boyd Honeychurch Lipinski
Continuing the trend of last week which was a far more adaptable side, would like to see Crozier and Suckling interchange between half back and half forward, with Dunkley who is a good mark replace Lipinski in the forward pocket. The return of Adams and Morris last week enabled both Cordy and Naughton play forward, with the result being a far better balanced team for the first time this year.

Bulldog Joe
26-06-2018, 08:31 PM
We continue to get beaten in the ruck and would prefer to see Roughead or Campbell replace Tom Boyd.
In. Roughead Suckling and Jong
Out. T Boyd Honeychurch Lipinski
Continuing the trend of last week which was a far more adaptable side, would like to see Crozier and Suckling interchange between half back and half forward, with Dunkley who is a good mark replace Lipinski in the forward pocket. The return of Adams and Morris last week enabled both Cordy and Naughton play forward, with the result being a far better balanced team for the first time this year.

I think you are being too harsh on Boyd.
While he has been beaten in the ruck,he has competed extremely well over the past 2 games. he has probably done better against 2 quality ruckmen than anything we have produced over the last 2 seasons.

No way should he be dropped, but some extra assistance would probably help.

We still need that balanced against overall team performance.

Twodogs
26-06-2018, 09:03 PM
I think you are being too harsh on Boyd.
While he has been beaten in the ruck,he has competed extremely well over the past 2 games. he has probably done better against 2 quality ruckmen than anything we have produced over the last 2 seasons.

No way should he be dropped, but some extra assistance would probably help.

We still need that balanced against overall team performance.

And he's done it with a busted thumb in the last two weeks.

Ozza
26-06-2018, 10:19 PM
And he's done it with a busted thumb in the last two weeks.

Since when does Boyd have a busted thumb?
He dislocated a finger in the last quarter of the Port game, Webb broke a bone in his thumb.

azabob
26-06-2018, 10:25 PM
He dislocated a finger in the last quarter of the Port game, Webb broke a bone in his thumb.

Compound fracture wasn’t it?

Twodogs
26-06-2018, 10:43 PM

I must sack my newsman. The bone was sticking out of his hand when he did it though, it sounds nasty. Nastier than a normal dislocation.

Ozza
26-06-2018, 11:02 PM
Compound fracture wasn’t it?

Compound dislocation.

bornadog
26-06-2018, 11:14 PM
Compound dislocation.

Had to have an operation

S Coast Simon
27-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Boys should be lauded for even playing last week. I though he was a great contributor in the game considering his finger the week before. Most people would have a month off but he tried his guts out against one of the premier ruckmen of the last decade.

westdog54
27-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Given Geelong's lack of ruck prowess I'd be backing Tom to have a red hot crack this week. They are not going to have the luxury of sending Rhys Stanley forward as they did to great effect last year and he is mediocre at best as a ruckman.

I hope we encourage him to throw himself hammer and tongs at Friday night's game, and possibly rest him next week if needed.

Greystache
27-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Given Geelong's lack of ruck prowess I'd be backing Tom to have a red hot crack this week. They are not going to have the luxury of sending Rhys Stanley forward as they did to great effect last year and he is mediocre at best as a ruckman.

I hope we encourage him to throw himself hammer and tongs at Friday night's game, and possibly rest him next week if needed.

If you check out his record against Geelong it's also very impressive. He seems to lift against them for what ever reason.

2017- 17 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals, 33 hitouts

2016- 18 disposals, 4 marks, 3 goals

We lost both games.

Axe Man
27-06-2018, 01:06 PM
We lost both games.

That goes without saying, we haven't beaten them since 2009. Morris and Picken are the only ones on the list that have beaten the Cats in Bulldogs colours I think.

bornadog
27-06-2018, 01:38 PM
From press conference

Naughton to play forward again

Dunkley is being groomed as an inside mid and will follow one Geelong’s mids to help his development

bornadog
27-06-2018, 01:40 PM
Suckling training with main group, so almost a certain starter

The Pie Man
27-06-2018, 02:22 PM
If you check out his record against Geelong it's also very impressive. He seems to lift against them for what ever reason.

2017- 17 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals, 33 hitouts

2016- 18 disposals, 4 marks, 3 goals

We lost both games.

I went to that game and all I heard afterwards was how dominant Zac Smith was. One of the rare games both no. 1 rucks were influential. Tom was super that night I thought (our other bigs not so much)

bornadog
27-06-2018, 06:32 PM
From Press Conference - link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-27/five-takeaways-beveridge-press-conference)

Luke Beveridge spoke to the media on Wednesday morning at Victoria University Whitten Oval, and westernbulldogs.com.au have highlighted some of the key takeways.

Pressure
Champion Data recorded the Dogs’ pressure rating at 313 at one point in the second term, 131 above the League average.
"I think we did it for longer last week. In previous games where we've had some good quarters, it's looked OK, I was saying we've just got to sustain that for longer.

"North Melbourne came back into the game in the third quarter, initially through some skill errors from us but then through some of their productive inside mids.

"I think the boys did a great job in pulling the game back on our terms, but there's no doubt that some of our pressure on them and being able to absorb it with our possession was pretty good,so hopefully we can build on that again Friday night."

-
Hayden Crozier
The former Docker has submitted two of his best performances for the Club over the past two weeks. Beveridge reflected on his value to the team.

"He did play well against Port Adelaide the week before and definitely his first half was off the charts.
"When we expressed interest in him coming over and playing more as a permanent defender we could see that he had all the necessary attributes to be able to put the opposition on edge with his run and he's got great courage and he's a very penetrating kick.

"It was a really encouraging performance from him."

-
Aaron Naughton
The first year player lined up as a forward last weekend and exhibited some really encouraging signs according to the coach.
"Well there was some promising signs, wasn't there?

"He's such a good highest point marker and obviously finished his work pretty well. And I thought, off a long break really, a young player coming in, he lasted the game pretty well. He was a bit fatigued in the end, but there were good enough signs to give that another go.

"With Aaron and Ed the previous week, with their nous, their skills, little bit of speed, it's really helped us so we'll persist with that for a while."

-
Josh Dunkley
Dunkley was given the job on the Shaun Higgins last week and according to Beveridge may line up on one of the Cats' star mids this Friday night.

"It' s a learning period for Josh because long term we see him as an inside mid who will continue to cut his teeth there but hopefully establish himself as an influential player in the game.

"Some of it is good learning for him to play on some prolific and stronger midfielders so there's every chance he'll spend some time on some of their more experienced guys in there this week."

-
Mitch Wallis
Wallis's mis-kick late in Saturday night's game has garnered some attention, but Beveridge said it was one of a few errors made by the team as a whole, and he's backing him to be influential against the Cats .

"I said it on our members message that that kick was one of about, probably double figures, going either inside 50 and across the arc that we didn't kick it to our teammates or didn't weight it the right way.

"It's just that that kick was at that critical part of the game so it gets highlighted, but we've moved on pretty quickly.

"Mitch's game up until that last couple of minutes was pretty strong and he was influential for us for a fair chunk of the game. He'll be OK this week, he'll pick himself up, we'll support him and hopefully play well against the Cats."

EasternWest
27-06-2018, 07:15 PM
I went to that game and all I heard afterwards was how dominant Zac Smith was. One of the rare games both no. 1 rucks were influential. Tom was super that night I thought (our other bigs not so much)

Lol. Just saw your new avatar pic. Cruel :).

Mofra
28-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Bard Lynch to debut.

Good luck to the kid.

Happy Days
28-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Bard Lynch to debut.

Good luck to the kid.

That’s pretty rogue - would also have to think it means no Greene.

Axe Man
28-06-2018, 12:22 PM
Given where the season is at may as well give him a chance to show if he's worth a spot on the list going forward. From what I saw in the VFL on Saturday he was good so hopefully he can reproduce some of the run and evasiveness he showed at the same ground.

Lynch to debut for Bulldogs (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-28/lynch-to-debut-for-bulldogs)

Brad Lynch will become the fourth Western Bulldogs debutant for the 2018 season when he is named to play against Geelong on Friday night.

The 20-year-old, who is in his third season at VU Whitten Oval, will become the 1007th player in Bulldogs history to get his chance at senior level.

He joins Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards and Billy Gowers as first-gamers for the Club this year.

A running defender with strong foot skills, Lynch has impressed at VFL level in recent weeks after injury curtailed the early part of his season.

He collected 19 disposals and took six marks in Footscray’s win over North Melbourne last weekend.

From Swan Districts, Lynch was recruited to the Bulldogs with their first pick in the 2015 NAB Rookie Draft, and an impressive 2016 season saw him become a member of Footscray’s premiership team.

Injuries twice interrupted the 2017 season for Lynch, but he managed 11 games in the VFL and showed more encouraging signs.

The Bulldogs’ team for the Round 15 Friday night clash with the Cats at Etihad Stadium will be announced at 6.25pm tonight.

kruder
28-06-2018, 12:26 PM
Bard Lynch to debut.

Good luck to the kid.

Its a lot easier to play in a backline with Morris and Adams in it perfect time to play him. Lets hope we see his speed and kicking skills on display against the cats.

bornadog
28-06-2018, 12:33 PM
Brad Lynch to debut.

Good luck to the kid.

Our only indigenous player, hopefully replaces Roarke.

Still only 20 years old, feels like he has been around for years. Also touted as the best kick at the club.

Twodogs
28-06-2018, 12:46 PM
Our only indigenous player, hopefully replaces Roarke.

Still only 20 years old, feels like he has been around for years. Also touted as the best kick at the club.

That's a bit like being the best looking woman in the Upper Volta.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2018, 12:47 PM
A little surprised that we'd play Lynch ahead of Greene, not withstanding they play different positions of course.

Lynch has great skills but to be honest I don't 'see it' - criminally outside. Hopefully he plays well.

We're certainly throwing games out to judge the list. You would expect Greene and even Collins couldn't be far off.

comrade
28-06-2018, 01:10 PM
A little surprised that we'd play Lynch ahead of Greene, not withstanding they play different positions of course.

Lynch has great skills but to be honest I don't 'see it' - criminally outside. Hopefully he plays well.

We're certainly throwing games out to judge the list. You would expect Greene and even Collins couldn't be far off.

I’m ok with that. If the big broom is about to sweep through, it’s only fair we get some insight into how the fringe types adapt to the big time before making a decision.

Mofra
28-06-2018, 01:16 PM
AFL news article comparing him to Bob Murphy.
There's hyperbole then there's going way over the top.

Axe Man
28-06-2018, 01:21 PM
AFL news article comparing him to Bob Murphy.
There's hyperbole then there's going way over the top.

Maybe Brad's got a Paul Roos tattoo as well?

Eastdog
28-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Good luck Brad Lynch.

Bulldog Joe
28-06-2018, 05:02 PM

I think at some point in the last 2 years, I labelled Lynch, so outside that he would struggle to get inside the boundary.
Hopefully, he proves us wrong and really puts in a big game.

bornadog
28-06-2018, 05:08 PM
I think at some point in the last 2 years, I labelled Lynch, so outside that he would struggle to get inside the boundary.
Hopefully, he proves us wrong and really puts in a big game.

Some comments from his game last week:

Clearly Lynch's best game - I think the conditions really suited him .

Lynch - Was great, this kid has some skills and his kicking was fantastic.

Brad Lynch
His best game so far. He provided a lot of run from the backline. He looked like an accomplished player. He put in the effort..

Hopefully he can reproduce it.

Mofra
28-06-2018, 05:33 PM
It will be an interesting team selection this week given we appear flush for defenders and we're adding another one (especially if Suckling comes back in).

Hopefully he can reproduce it.[/QUOTE]

divvydan
28-06-2018, 07:31 PM
Lynch and Suckling in for Daniel (inj) and Honeychurch (dropped)

ratsmac
28-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Gee Rourke Smith must have some dirt on somebody high up in the club. He's an average VFL player at best from what I've seen. I really hope he has a Crozier type turn around and starts playing well.

bulldogtragic
28-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Gee Rourke Smith must have some dirt on somebody high up in the club.

He's an average VFL player at best from what I've seen.

I really hope he has a Crozier type turn around and starts playing well.

This. This. And don't hold your breath, I'm not.

kruder
28-06-2018, 08:29 PM
A lot of half back flankers in the team, hopefully we play Richards forward again. Its nice to see Morris, Cordy and Adams in defence you just feel a lot more confident going into games.

We are in need of a highlight and some momentum boys its time to beat the cats!

Eastdog
28-06-2018, 08:30 PM
Good to have Suckling back. Been quite good this season.

Eastdog
28-06-2018, 08:31 PM
A lot of half back flankers in the team, hopefully we play Richards forward again. Its nice to see Morris, Cordy and Adams in defence you just feel a lot more confident going into games.

We are in need of a highlight and some momentum boys its time to beat the cats!

We are due for a win against them. At least we are not playing on their deck this year.

bornadog
28-06-2018, 11:16 PM
Gee Rourke Smith must have some dirt on somebody high up in the club. He's an average VFL player at best from what I've seen. I really hope he has a Crozier type turn around and starts playing well.

I reserve my judgement till he has 20 games (If he gets there :D )

jeemak
28-06-2018, 11:18 PM
It's too early to tell with Roarke, there's definitely some talent there but I'm not sure how it will translate to a long term career.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-06-2018, 11:34 PM
It's too early to tell with Roarke, there's definitely some talent there but I'm not sure how it will translate to a long term career.

I think that’s being generous. With all due respect to Roarke I don’t think he’d be a top player at WRFL level.

jeemak
28-06-2018, 11:50 PM
I think that’s being generous. With all due respect to Roarke I don’t think he’d be a top player at WRFL level.

Take that Roarke's feelings.

Not sure choosing to ignore he has some talent makes any sense TBB.

Eastdog
29-06-2018, 12:27 AM

Injuries have certainly set him back unfortunately. Just so frustrating for him.

Mantis
29-06-2018, 08:33 AM
By my count we have 12 defenders in the team.. Is that a WR?

Sure a few of these will play in other spots (some by neccessity), but that balance can't be a good thing.. I include younger players like Naughton, Richards, Cordy & Williams who either came in as defenders or have played the bulk of their footy in that region.

Can't wait to see how we set our midfield up... HC & Daniel weren't great last week (Daniel has a good first 1/2), but they did spend considerable time in our midfield rotations and neither of the inclusions will, so it leaves a big load to be carried by few.

ratsmac
29-06-2018, 08:56 AM

Sure a few of these will play in other spots (some by neccessity), but that balance can't be a good thing.. I include younger players like Naughton, Richards, Cordy & Williams who either came in as defenders or have played the bulk of their footy in that region.

Can't wait to see how we set our midfield up... HC & Daniel weren't great last week (Daniel has a good first 1/2), but they did spend considerable time in our midfield rotations and neither of the inclusions will, so it leaves a big load to be carried by few.

12 defenders, sheesh!! In that case the cats won't score... but neither will we.

Was it last year or earlier this year we were struggling for defenders because of injury? I can't wait for the year we have no injuries like Norf, Richmond and Adelaide last year and the year before.

bornadog
29-06-2018, 10:21 AM

You would think Williams will go to the middle again.

Do we play Suckling at HFF?

The Bulldogs Bite
29-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Take that Roarke's feelings.

Not sure choosing to ignore he has some talent makes any sense TBB.

Bit of a fickle word 'talent' and I'm not sure I would apply it to Roarke in a football sense.

As an athlete maybe, he has a nice vertical leap.

GVGjr
29-06-2018, 07:07 PM

They're giving him every chance to make it. He needs a good game soon though.

I'm excited by Brad Lynch's debut. He has some great skills and hopefully he has worked on his deficiencies and gets a good game.

The puzzling part is how do we fit all these back flankers types in?

Doc26
29-06-2018, 07:17 PM

There seems few on here in support of giving Roarke a decent crack at it before ruling a line through him. I'm keen that we persevere with him through the remainder of the year as he's coming from a fair way back off his 2 ACL's and giving him a reasonable amount of time to fit into the system. If we had any chance of pushing for the 8 this season then maybe we could be harsher but there's so few pushing strong for a case below that it's fair that we see what we have in him for a few weeks more.

Rocket Science
29-06-2018, 08:08 PM
You'd think Roarke's another in the category of blokes we'll (now, given the season's cactus) give as much rope as we need to to make informed calls on their future with us at season's end.

Personally, don't like his chances.