PDA

View Full Version : AFL Game Day Round 11, 2018 - Western Bulldogs V Melbourne at Etihad Stadium, Docklands

Eastdog
31-05-2018, 08:07 PM
Predictions:
- Margin
- Our first goal scorer
- Our best on ground

Margin: Bulldogs by 3 points - in a close one
Our first goal: Josh Schache to get us started
Our best on ground: Bont to have his best game in 2018

We need a the red, white and blue army out in force this Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping to see a lot of Doggies supporters going in on the train.

Go Bulldogs!!

Remi Moses
31-05-2018, 08:10 PM
Dees by 40’pts
BOG McLean
1st goal Dickson

Crowd 27,000
Melbourne fans will finally find Etihad Stadium

bornadog
31-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Draw
BOG: The Bont back to his best
First goal: Dicko

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Dogs by 16 points
FG: Little Billy Gowers
BOG Big Tom Boyd

bulldogtragic
31-05-2018, 08:36 PM
Dee's by 76
FG (assuming we get one...) Schache
BOG Macrae

chef
31-05-2018, 09:07 PM
Dees by 100
BOG Macca
First Goal HC

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
31-05-2018, 09:16 PM
It's Wednesday I've almost...almost forgotten how gobshite we were in the 2nd half.. so with my positive pants on....
Dogs by 1 point
First goal Dicko
BOG: Mclean

bornadog
31-05-2018, 09:38 PM
It's Wednesday I've almost...almost forgotten how gobshite we were in the 2nd half.. so with my positive pants on....
Dogs by 1 point
First goal Dicko
BOG: Mclean

Are you sure YHF :D

Twodogs
31-05-2018, 10:27 PM
Dee's by 76
FG (assuming we get one...) Schache
BOG Macrae

There's four quarters in this game yeah? We should get one. I'm sure it's in the game plan somewhere.

Rocket Science
31-05-2018, 11:30 PM
I have but one request for the other mob, at least bring some lube.

Not sure we'll manage as many goals as there are quarters.

Them by lots. LOTS.
First and maybe even only major: Dicko
BOG: Honeychurch

ratsmac
01-06-2018, 02:35 AM
Dogs by 73
First goal - Morris
BOG - Honeychurch

Yes I'm being silly because being honest ends up making me look silly anyway.

Mantis
01-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Can someone sell me a reason to attend?

Can't really be bothered sitting amongst their smug supporter base as they give us a walloping.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Are you sure YHF :D

Oh dear...:o

Greystache
01-06-2018, 10:27 AM
Can someone sell me a reason to attend?

Can't really be bothered sitting amongst their smug supporter base as they give us a walloping.

Nope. I've got a 2 year old's birthday party to attend and am hoping it runs long. Yes you heard right, a 2nd birthday!

I like the idea of making a game out of trying to kick more goals than quarters in the match. I wonder what the bookies are paying.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Nope. I've got a 2 year old's birthday party to attend and am hoping it runs long. Yes you heard right, a 2nd birthday!

I like the idea of making a game out of trying to kick more goals than quarters in the match. I wonder what the bookies are paying.

Off to Stringers daughter's party :D:D:D

Greystache
01-06-2018, 10:33 AM
Off to Stringers daughter's party :D:D:D

Not quite, we move in slightly different social circles :)

Mantis
01-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Or maybe the aim to kick at least 1 goal every qtr.. only running at 50% over the past 2 games.

Isn't it awesome to grouped amongst the 'irrelevant' teams again... back to the good 'ole days!

bornadog
01-06-2018, 10:50 AM
Or maybe the aim to kick at least 1 goal every qtr.. only running at 50% over the past 2 games.

Isn't it awesome to grouped amongst the 'irrelevant' teams again... back to the good 'ole days!

That's is when we start to see who are the real supporters.

Eastdog
01-06-2018, 11:05 AM
I'll be going.

My brother was happy last week - he is a Magpies supporter and I was disappointed. This week we are coming up against my Mums team the Demons. Hopefully by 4:30pm there abouts on Saturday I'll be the happy one this week.

Carn the Bulldogs!

bornadog
01-06-2018, 11:09 AM
I'll be going.

My brother was happy last week - he is a Magpies supporter and I was disappointing. This week we are coming up against my Mum's team the Demons. Hopefully by 4:30pm there abouts on Saturday I'll be the happy one this week.

Carn the Dogs!

Good onya Easty, I will also be there.

Mantis
01-06-2018, 11:12 AM
That's is when we start to see who are the real supporters.

Glad you see yourself as a 'real' supporter.

I must be an unreal supporter then... Amazing even.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 11:14 AM
Glad you see yourself as a 'real' supporter.

I must be an unreal supporter then... Amazing even.

Did I mention you? You must be feeling guilty. Pretty sure I was generalising.

Eastdog
01-06-2018, 11:18 AM
It is a home game so hopefully we can get a decent crowd in. I personally love the Saturday afternoon time slot.

Ozza
01-06-2018, 11:18 AM
Melbourne haven't handled expectation at all in the past, so after a week of past players and media experts declaring them the premiers in waiting, I'm going in optimistic that they get ahead of themselves and we cause an upset.

We aren't as bad as we have been the past two weeks. Hoping that the 8 day break for us has freshened a few, and the 6 day break, conditions in NT and travel can flatten the Dees a bit. Interesting that they made no changes after the short break and NT game.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Bevo Press Conference:

* Hopefully we’ll walk a bit taller with Dale back, he has a physical presence when he plays. He’ll get some pep out of the boys.

* We look at fact we were absolute to score for a couple of quarters - why and how were able to. We can be encouraged by that. The alarm bells aren’t ringing just yet, just need to leverage on the good things

* Marcus Adams got a deep cork in his calf, so we’ve taken a conservative approach and won’t play VFL this weekend.

* We’ll look after Zaine and hopefully he’ll be right after the bye. No concerns, but we just need to take a conservative approach when it comes to concussions.

bulldogtragic
01-06-2018, 11:36 AM
Alarm bells not ringing after the last two weeks... I must have a bad case of high pitched alarm sounding tinnitus.

Mantis
01-06-2018, 12:03 PM
Bevo Press Conference:

* We look at fact we were absolute to score for a couple of quarters - why and how were able to. We can be encouraged by that. The alarm bells aren’t ringing just yet, just need to leverage on the good things

BD, were some words missed here?

Makes no sense, to me atleast.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 12:04 PM

That is how it was written, I was also a bit confused

craigsahibee
01-06-2018, 12:40 PM
Dogs by 11 (points) thought that might need some clarification
First Goal Daniel
BOG Daniel

Off to Vietnam for a week on Sunday a.m. so this result will put me in a fantastic frame of mind

whythelongface
01-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Dees by 19
First Goal: Gowers
BOG: The Bont

Twodogs
01-06-2018, 12:58 PM

Can I come too?

Twodogs
01-06-2018, 01:03 PM

That is how it was written, I was also a bit confused

It doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Greystache
01-06-2018, 01:03 PM

Perhaps we used our goal kicking coach to transcribe the comments? Seems to be about 30% accurate.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 01:10 PM
It doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

Best to listen here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2018-06-01/press-conference-luke-beveridge-rd11)

Twodogs
01-06-2018, 01:14 PM
Best to listen here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2018-06-01/press-conference-luke-beveridge-rd11)

Does he say what you have written I am assuming that Bevo had a sentence in his head that got mangled somewhere on its way to his mouth.

Greystache
01-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Melbourne haven't handled expectation at all in the past, so after a week of past players and media experts declaring them the premiers in waiting, I'm going in optimistic that they get ahead of themselves and we cause an upset.

We aren't as bad as we have been the past two weeks. Hoping that the 8 day break for us has freshened a few, and the 6 day break, conditions in NT and travel can flatten the Dees a bit. Interesting that they made no changes after the short break and NT game.

Even if they play at their absolute worst Melbourne are still likely to kick at least 6-8 goals you'd think. Can we realistically be expected to kick up to 8 goals in a match to win?

Twodogs
01-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Even if they play at their absolute worst Melbourne are still likely to kick at least 6-8 goals you'd think. Can we realistically be expected to kick up to 8 goals in a match to win?

Are you kidding? Easily with Josh Schache in the team.

Actually I can't even be bothered being facetious about it. We are in real strife.

angelopetraglia
01-06-2018, 02:22 PM
100% going ... this is when our team needs our support more than ever.

Dees by plenty :(
FG: Love Shack
BOG Hunter

The million dollar question. Can we win a quarter?

Remi Moses
01-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Going gets tough and some turn their toes up .
Just remember we’re playing a team who hasn’t played finals in 12 years ! They should be coming good after about their 5th rebuild
I get people have lives, but the whole give me a reason to go is just pathetic

Mofra
01-06-2018, 02:56 PM
I rarely leave games early but I do have to leave this one at 4pm for work.
I have a bad feeling about this one so I'm guessing I might miss the worst part.

jeemak
01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
This is my first game for the season, heading in with a friend who's a Dees supporter and she's proclaimed this as their year already.........!

It will be interesting to see how many of their supporters turn up, versus how many of ours. As an aside, people have their own reasons for attending or otherwise. I simply don't like the AFL product live, and I'm testing whether I'm happier without it. If that means I'm an unreal supporter of the Bulldogs, so be it.

craigsahibee
01-06-2018, 04:58 PM
This is my first game for the season, heading in with a friend who's a Dees supporter and she's proclaimed this as their year already.........!

It will be interesting to see how many of their supporters turn up, versus how many of ours. As an aside, people have their own reasons for attending or otherwise. I simply don't like the AFL product live, and I'm testing whether I'm happier without it. If that means I'm an unreal supporter of the Bulldogs, so be it.

I understand perfectly. I've only been to 4 games this year (all wins by the way) but it is far from enjoyable.

I spent last Saturday watching the South Croydon Bulldogs in the Eastern Football League Division 1 and it was so much easier to watch than the AFL. Local footy is footy the way it should be played. Ironically, I am enjoying the way Melbourne play their footy and as a staunch anti-Melbourne person I am hoping they go deep into September this year only to be left heartbroken.

It's a given that I will purchase a Western Bulldogs Membership next year and beyond, but I am seriously reconsidering which level of membership I purchase, however one of the coterie groups at South Croydon is looking very appealing.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 05:00 PM

You are being unrealistic :D

angelopetraglia
01-06-2018, 05:08 PM
I prefer to watch our great game live at the ground. The TV coverage has improved out of sight with bigger TVs at home, High Definition, more cameras etc.

However the ground is that big that you just don't get the same feel for what's happening on TV, especially as they continue to favour tight shots of the play rather than giving you a perspective of what's happening off the ball. You are relying on intelligent good commentators (who are a rare commodity) to add a lot of colour.

bornadog
01-06-2018, 05:13 PM
I prefer to watch our great game live at the ground. The TV coverage has improved out of sight with bigger TVs at home, High Definition, more cameras etc.

However the ground is that big that you just don't get the same feel for what's happening on TV, especially as they continue to favour tight shots of the play rather than giving you a perspective of what's happening off the ball. You are relying on intelligent good commentators (who are a rare commodity) to add a lot of colour.

I agree, there is nothing like watching sport live.

There is some talk about footy being boring and people are not watching as much on TV, in fact NRL is watched more now than AFL. I think the TV coverage is pathetic, and the commentators are really annoying to listen to.

Twodogs
01-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Ling is the worst commentater of all time isn't he? He speaks too loudly and he just talks such a load of toss. I've never really paid the commentaters much attention but some of the games are so bad this year that I've sort of zoned in on them. Brian is alright, Bruce is just creepy, Richo is good, asks a question and then shuts up and listens to the answer, great interview technique, Wayne doesn't seem to know whether to egg Cameron Ling on or tell him to shut up.

I don't know why there isn't an option to not have any commentary at all. Just crowd noises.

The bulldog tragician
01-06-2018, 06:42 PM

Genuine question: why is it that you don’t like watching live?

I can’t endure watching it any other way. Inane commentators, terrible camera angles, a whole lot of meaningless words taken up to explain (!) what we’re seeing - yes, you especially Dermie - and disconnection from the game, the team and the atmosphere.

hujsh
01-06-2018, 08:16 PM

Sounds like we should be encouraged by the fact we we able to score for a couple of quarters. Good to know the bar is high.

On the going vs not going to the footy question: I really like being able to put the game on at a higher speed in he last quarter when we're clearly disinterested and just produce *!*!*!*!up after *!*!*!*!up. Makes it like a sad episode of Benny Hill

Eastdog
01-06-2018, 10:57 PM

Every woofer on here is a 'real' supporter.

LostDoggy
02-06-2018, 12:28 AM
Ling is the worst commentater of all time isn't he? He speaks too loudly and he just talks such a load of toss. I've never really paid the commentaters much attention but some of the games are so bad this year that I've sort of zoned in on them. Brian is alright, Bruce is just creepy, Richo is good, asks a question and then shuts up and listens to the answer, great interview technique, Wayne doesn't seem to know whether to egg Cameron Ling on or tell him to shut up.

I don't know why there isn't an option to not have any commentary at all. Just crowd noises.

Ling is bad, Rucciuto is the worst. He states the obvious and does it very slowly, adds nothing.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2018, 10:25 AM

I was there in the 60's and 70's. This is heaven compared to those days.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Dogs by 28 points
FG: Gowers
BOG Bont

LostDoggy
02-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Im usually an optimist, but realistically today I've got to go Melbourne by 30
Our best: Macrae, who will surely be back in the middle more (suspect BOG will be Oliver)
1st goal: Schache

boydogs
02-06-2018, 11:05 AM
We're better than what we have been serving up

WB by 17
First Goal Dickson
BOG Bontempelli

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 11:23 AM

At least you knew we would at least try. That was a nonnegotiable. You shirked a contest or didn't make an effort then you didn't play next week.

S Coast Simon
02-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Not sure how bad we are. Tough coming back from interstate in belting rain for the younger players. We will be a lot better than last week. Not sure how good Melbourne are either.

Form says Melbourne by 40 but I think it will be a lot closer than that. Imagine running out with Morris back where he belongs. The rise in confidence is enough to spark a few into action. I’m disappointed no Biggs and Wallis in the team.

Bulldogs by 6
FG Schache
Bog Schache. To kick 5 and take some of the limelight off Tom. To then flourish together as a forward combination and drag us back into the finals.

HOSE B ROMERO
02-06-2018, 11:48 AM

Exactly twodogs. I have been saying this for ages. There must be some way of doing this? Maybe setting up a mixing desk, separate audio channels, i dunno. Look we can put a man on the moon but...

G-Mo77
02-06-2018, 11:57 AM

Put on the closed captions on your TV and actually read it. I was out for a meal once and they had the football on across the room, sound down but captions on. I couldn't believe the tripe I read. Most of it I don't take in when I watch but when I read it I kind of felt embarrassed for them. LOL

HOSE B ROMERO
02-06-2018, 11:58 AM
The 1985 team that slaughtered the dees by 120 points will form a guard of honour for the demons. This will cause such a distraction that they will go on to be beaten by 51 points (coincidentally the identical margin in the 1954 grand final. Yeah, i know spooky.)

Dogs by 7 pts

The Bont will be bog

Le Shak to thread the first goal

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 11:59 AM
[/B]

Exactly twodogs. I have been saying this for ages. There must be some way of doing this? Maybe setting up a mixing desk, separate audio channels, i dunno. Look we can put a man on the moon but...

This must be easy but I think there isn't a lot of will from the broadcaster. After all what other time do they have you tied down having to listen to the crap that their hosts spout? If there was no commentary there would be no ability to tell you that Masterchef is coming up or for the commentary team to subliminally fill your head full of crap.

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Terry Wallace just made a good point. He just asked which club is firing at the moment? Melbourne? Plastic tough guys, they will collapse. West Coast? Maybe but I'm unconvinced they can play this form out until r22 let alone keep it up during a finals series.

bornadog
02-06-2018, 12:38 PM

What about the early 80s, wow that was so bad. in 80, 81, 82

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 01:07 PM
Dogs by 2 goals. Looking forward to seeing this game

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 01:19 PM
What about the early 80s, wow that was so bad. in 80, 81, 82

And I saw every game live. KT and the Pieman played though so there was always something to see and cheer at least.

bornadog
02-06-2018, 01:25 PM
And I saw every game live. KT and the Pieman played though so there was always something to see and cheer at least.
Yep I was there

ledge
02-06-2018, 01:38 PM
Hopefully Schache and Boyd come together like the first qtr last week.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 02:01 PM
If we were fair dinkum we'd end their little fairy tale run rather abruptly, and I agree the Dees are flaky and vulnerable to a quality opponent.

The problem is that just ain't us.

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Liberatore is at the players sponsors area. I'll add some comments later

Bulldog4life
02-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Confident with Schache's kicking for goal not so Boydy's at this stage.

Eastdog
02-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Confident with Schache's kicking for goal not so Boydy's at this stage.

Great first goal at the club for Schache last week.

Eastdog
02-06-2018, 02:05 PM

Need to replicate it for the whole match.

westbulldog
02-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Dogs by 11
BOG McLean
first goal Schache

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 02:27 PM
Looks like being a big crowd today. Apparently Melbourne supporters have finally found where Etihad is :)

Mantis
02-06-2018, 02:45 PM
Be nice if you could see the numbers on our players jumpers.

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 02:46 PM
If we were fair dinkum we'd end their little fairy tale run rather abruptly, and I agree the Dees are flaky and vulnerable to a quality opponent.

The problem is that just ain't us.

You're right.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Wow. Bit of concerted pressure, and the Dees don't like it much.

Imagine we keep it up ...

SlimPickens
02-06-2018, 02:58 PM
Be nice if you could see the numbers on our players jumpers.

Terrible. Jumper looks great, that is a mare however

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 03:04 PM
Why does Suckling think it's a good idea to target Daniel versus three opponents in forward fifty?

SlimPickens
02-06-2018, 03:07 PM
Another *!*!*!*!en soft tissue!

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Our delivery into the forward line or our forward line leads are letting us down badly could easily have had 6 on the board early.

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:12 PM

???? Did I miss something ?

SlimPickens
02-06-2018, 03:16 PM
???? Did I miss something ?

Dickson hamstring again

Mantis
02-06-2018, 03:17 PM

Dickson?

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 03:18 PM
That miss by Mclean was telling. The Dees dried up our scoring and then got right back in it. Like what I'm seeing from us so far though.

LostDoggy
02-06-2018, 03:20 PM
Good first quarter again, got to sustain it this week. 17 clearances to 6 is a massive win.

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:21 PM
I'm at home watching it and no mention except that Melbourne have lost two early and the love for Melbourne is unbearable.
The commentators have Hogan on the brain . Called Hannan as Hogan and even claim Hogan has kicked a goal.
Very hard to watch with these embeciles calling , no mention of Dickson at all but focussed fully on Melbournes injury.

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:23 PM
I see exactly the same as last week here . We kill them in a qtr then die off very fast.

MrMahatma
02-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Too many handballs leading to turn overs.

MrMahatma
02-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Falling apart

LostDoggy
02-06-2018, 03:38 PM
We are so much better when Morris is out there. What a champ he is.

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:42 PM
No one presents up forward. And we just make stupid errors trying to be to quick , we will get run over now this will get dangerously scary.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 03:44 PM
We looked smart for 20 minutes but as soon as fatigue sets in execution and decision making suffer = more time chasing tail, more fatigue and voila ...

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Why the *!*!*!*! are we leaving a Melbourne player in front of the goals on their own ???
Two players around and neither can time it to be near enough to punch it away ??

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 03:47 PM
Why the *!*!*!*! are we leaving a Melbourne player in front of the goals on their own ???
Two players around and neither can time it to be near enough to punch it away ??

It's versatile.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 03:48 PM
JEEZUS we're cavalier with the footy in tight. I know we're trying to create but more often than not we just it give it straight back to the bastards with panicky, no-look party tricks.

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 03:50 PM
It's so simple for the opposition. Stand in front of a bulldog player, put your hand up and sooner rather than later he will panic and give up possession.

Is there a stat for "shit himself like a big, black Alsation?"

ReLoad
02-06-2018, 03:53 PM
The Bont and Toby. The only two mids we have.

I’ts like lambs to the slaughter in the midfield.

ledge
02-06-2018, 03:54 PM
How many times we put it in the forward line and it just comes straight back out ? Even if we got it just 50/50 we would win this but it's 100/0 at the moment in favour of Melbourne , geez just kick it to Schache and rove it , is it that hard ?
No we look for Gowers and Dahlhaus with 3 opposition on them.
Here goes the no goals half again.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 03:54 PM
The Bont and Toby. The only two mids we have.

I’ts like lambs to the slaughter in the midfield.

But still no room for Mitch ...

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 03:55 PM
We are fumbling like it's a wet ground. Have to admire the way Melbourne play direct, smart football.

Can we salvage something from this game? Melbourne have kicked 7 of the last 8 goals and we cant have them repeat that after half time.

angelopetraglia
02-06-2018, 03:56 PM
Winning the centre clearances. Winning the stopppages. Winning our share in the middle. Just being absolutely destroyed once we turn it over across half forward. They either find the fat side or go straight through middle without any pressure from us. That’s the issue.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 03:57 PM
We are fumbling like it's a wet ground. Have to admire the way Melbourne play direct, smart football.

Can we salvage something from this game? Melbourne have kicked 7 of the last 8 goals and we cant have them repeat that after half time.

You need the cattle and the skills for that. Our cupboard's a bit bare.

Mantis
02-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Our inability to hold the ball I50 is startling.. like a trampoline!
Doesn’t help when we either kick it along the ground (Hunter) or just bomb it in.

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Lipinski and Smith arent contributing and has there been a Caleb Daniel sighting?

G-Mo77
02-06-2018, 04:02 PM
Pleasant surprise first 20 minutes and then the tune I've been used to after that.

angelopetraglia
02-06-2018, 04:03 PM
Boyd, Roughead and Schache all with 4 or less touches. You can’t carry them all of they touch the footy.

Mantis
02-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Lipinski and Smith arent contributing and has there been a Caleb Daniel sighting?

Schache and HC offering very little too... Hard playing 2 or 3 short.

Bulldog4life
02-06-2018, 04:06 PM
Boyd, Roughead and Schache all with 4 or less touches. You can carry them all of they touch the footy.

The 3 of them have shown little effort too

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2018, 04:07 PM
We really do have so many personnel and tactical issues at present. Not much is working in the box or on the field, the drop off from our playing list even as individuals is staggering. JJ and Daniel are top of the list, ditto Wood and Roughead.

Hotdog60
02-06-2018, 04:08 PM
I reckon Dickson must be ready to give away. Can't stay on the park.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:08 PM
I just can't fathom the wild swings in every game. We look good..and normally that should lead to more confidence. Not with us for the past 18 months. We follow great patches with woeful footy within quarters.
I haven't enjoyed any Bulldogs game since the GF.

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:09 PM
I know I will get shot down but I wonder what we would be like with another coach ?

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:09 PM
I just can't fathom the wild swings in every game. We look good..and normally that should lead to more confidence. Not with us for the past 18 months. We follow great patches with woeful footy within quarters.
I haven't enjoyed any Bulldogs game since the GF.
I enjoyed our first game against the swans after the grand final.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Oh dear Mclean.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 04:14 PM
Are we trialling Williams as an on-baller because we're so bereft of quality through there or because he has legit designs on the gig long term because what the hell is wrong with letting the bloke settle at half back where he's been, y'know, handy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:15 PM
Macrae has been poor today.

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Let's handball to a Melbourne player in the goal square, I could swear our players are signed up by opposition clubs.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 04:16 PM
Oh dear Mclean.

Only wankers quote themselves but direct relevance ...

JEEZUS we're cavalier with the footy in tight. I know we're trying to create but more often than not we just it give it straight back to the bastards with panicky, no-look party tricks.

We're far too charitable with the footy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Embarrassing.
Just sliced us open.
We're absolutely cooked..

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:19 PM
Oh my god let's leave their best forward on their own 20 metres clear forward of the ball again !!

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2018, 04:20 PM
Here is a sobering thought; we are not even halfway though the year yet.

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:21 PM
We kicked a goal in the second half , wonder if the coaches will hang their heads on that ?

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 04:22 PM
Melbourne are just coasting now, getting away with spurts of effort, and they'll still flog us.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:28 PM
So many of our guys just need to examine whether they deserve to be AFL level footballers right now. JJ, Boyd, Dahl, Roughy, Hunter in particular.
JJ especially.

ReLoad
02-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Insipid.

This is not a bunch of blokes giving everything for the red white and blue. This is pay check cashing and bystanding

G-Mo77
02-06-2018, 04:29 PM
That's it for me. I'm outa here. What a pathetic excuse for a football team

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:29 PM
I will say Suckling a flying today, great game in a hostage situation.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Much better ball movement.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Skied, over-the-shoulder lollipops seem to be a new forward entry strategy we're trialling.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2018, 04:36 PM
We are burning Schache who has led well a few times this qtr

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:37 PM
How is it Hunter finds himself as the one in a marking contest with Gawn when Tom Boyd is nearby?

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:38 PM
In no way is Schache to blame for this rubbish, he leads we look for his opposition number , if Jetta was playing in a bulldog jumper he would have kicked 10 before halftime.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:40 PM
Can we please re-sign Bontempelli before he realises its going ro be a while before we're going to be anywhere near a decent side again and thinks about going elsewhere.

angelopetraglia
02-06-2018, 04:41 PM
Never ever take our chances. We have a unique ability to make the easy look hard.

Mantis
02-06-2018, 04:42 PM
Where is the rationale in playing Williams on ball & across HF when he’s been close to our best running HB?

Especially when he’s been replaced by Crozier and Smith who are battlers.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2018, 04:44 PM
Where is the rationale in playing Williams on ball & across HF when he’s been close to our best running HB?

Especially when he’s been replaced by Crozier and Smith who are battlers.

Flexibility.

We have a great coaching group

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:50 PM
A good coach finds the game plan and positions for the list he has and gets the best out of them.
I see it as a coach trying to make players play to a plan they aren't capable of.
If he is building a list to suit his game plan it's not working.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:51 PM
We are just inventing ways to suck.
Daniels's turnover which leads to Hogan having all the time to size up a kick for a goal..whilst Trengove is nearby more interested in arguing with Gawn than thinking about pressing Hogan.

AndrewP6
02-06-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm at home watching it and no mention except that Melbourne have lost two early and the love for Melbourne is unbearable.
The commentators have Hogan on the brain . Called Hannan as Hogan and even claim Hogan has kicked a goal.
Very hard to watch with these embeciles calling , no mention of Dickson at all but focussed fully on Melbournes injury.

What's even worse is that Johnno is right there with them. He's turned into a grovelling sycophant.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 04:54 PM
Honeychurch has ZERO awareness.. dumps off a handball to someone immediately under pressure leading to a bunch of evermore pressured disposals until we turn it over.

ledge
02-06-2018, 04:54 PM
What does Dalhaus offer up forward or anywhere nowadays ?

AndrewP6
02-06-2018, 04:56 PM
Bont gets punched in the head. "He's copped one in the eye"
"Yeah he has, but let's not underestimate what Hibberd has done there"...

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Bont gets punched in the head. "He's copped one in the eye"
"Yeah he has, but let's not underestimate what Hibberd has done there"...

He immediately added it was high when the replay was shown.
I despise Gary Lyon, but don't misrepresent him by selectively quoting him.

AndrewP6
02-06-2018, 05:04 PM
He immediately added it was high when the replay was shown.
I despise Gary Lyon, but don't misrepresent him by selectively quoting him.

I'm not misrepresenting him, that incident summarises him precisely, trumpets his view as an all-knowing genius, then backflips at the first opportunity.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Beveridge has lost me.

ledge
02-06-2018, 05:05 PM
We must have the record for the most turnovers in a game.
2 goals after halftime and don't look like kicking another for the whole last qtr !
Socceroos kick more than us in 60 minutes.
We are a good confidence builder for the opposition , let them use us as step ladders.
Note to coaches: if you tell Your player to stand 10 metres in front of his opponent all day they will use you as step ladders every contest.

DOG GOD
02-06-2018, 05:07 PM
Thank god im in Europe and don’t have to watch this.

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 05:08 PM
We're far too charitable with the footy.

We have no respect for the ball. We give it back to the opposition as you say playing stupid party tricks and it shows in the way we kick the ball. The only thing this playing group seemed to ever take pride on was the handball club stuff. The ball is their basic tool of trade but I bet none of them always have a footy in the car or sit watching telly with a ball in their hands.

ledge
02-06-2018, 05:11 PM
What about that from max we all stood and watched !!
And left hogan in again , he is their best forward and has kicked all his goals without any opposition.

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Never ever take our chances. We have a unique ability to make the easy look hard.

We have anti-forward's or something. Some of our forward entrys are Laurel and Hardy stuff.

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 05:23 PM
Melbourne had a great plan today, load up with a couple of tall forwards kick it to them quickly and when they don't mark it have a couple of guys to crumb it. Brilliant. Cutting edge football.

bornadog
02-06-2018, 05:29 PM
Turnover after turnover killed us once more

kruder
02-06-2018, 05:30 PM
Hard to watch indeed. Our skill level and flexibility is the most frustrating thing.

A perfect example, early in the first quarter Boyd makes a great contest forward that ended up in Honey kicking a goal. Guess where he was at the next bounce? Yep you guessed it lets change his role and send him to the ruck. Surely Roughead can ruck more than a few minutes and let Boyd settle? I just don't understand it.

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 05:31 PM
Turnover after turnover killed us once more

Not to forget the constant fumbling

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Hard to watch indeed. Our skill level and flexibility is the most frustrating thing.

A perfect example, early in the first quarter Boyd makes a great contest forward that ended up in Honey kicking a goal. Guess where he was at the next bounce? Yep you guessed it lets change his role and send him to the ruck. Surely Roughead can ruck more than a few minutes and let Boyd settle? I just don't understand it.

Roughead went off at the 5 minute mark and came back after the 12 minute mark of the first quarter

Mantis
02-06-2018, 05:36 PM
I still don’t understand how professional athletes can handle and kick the ball as bad as our players do... it’s embarrassing.

kruder
02-06-2018, 05:36 PM
Roughead went off at the 5 minute mark and came back after the 12 minute mark of the first quarter

Shouldn't be in the side just isn't physically capable of playing AFL footy anymore. Why do we even have BTC on the list?

ledge
02-06-2018, 05:48 PM
Oh the mc Cartney years are being mirrored here.

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Who would have signed off on today's jumper? The back of it blurred the player numbers making it vastly harder for the spectators and the callers on the radio. Its the little things like this that keep mounting up to a club that isn't thorough. Has to fall onto Chris Maple doesn't it?

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 05:57 PM
Shouldn't be in the side just isn't physically capable of playing AFL footy anymore. Why do we even have BTC on the list?

I dont think he could get back onto the ground. Most weeks he comes off ariund that mark, normally its for 5 minutes.

kruder
02-06-2018, 06:11 PM
I dont think he could get back onto the ground. Most weeks he comes off ariund that mark, normally its for 5 minutes.

I know but why cant he play more than 5 minutes in the ruck? Its unbelievable.

Rocket Science
02-06-2018, 06:25 PM

Because nobody gets to hog ruck duties, everyone has to take their turn, it's like the roster for putting the bins out.

Twodogs
02-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Melbourne had a great plan today, load up with a couple of tall forwards kick it to them quickly and when they don't mark it have a couple of guys to crumb it. Brilliant. Cutting edge football.

Revolutionary! I wonder what genius thought of that?

With North actually doing some skills work in their football programme and kicking the footy around at training and Melbourne playing with the same structure and game plan as teams used back in the 1970s footy might get fun again.

GVGjr
02-06-2018, 06:32 PM

It's obviously something to manage both he and Tom Boyds rests.

bornadog
02-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Our problems are not the rucks. We won the stoppages, Clearances, centre clearances. We lost cont.poss and the scoreboard.

Our mids are not good enough, and our turnovers are shocking.

Eastdog
02-06-2018, 07:57 PM
I'm very dissapointed right now. My mum was happy she is a Demons supporter.

No forward structure whatsoever. What are we doing up there. What? JJ needs a spell I think. Way too many turnovers. We need to try and get Schache more by himself in the forward line so he can mark it as he is a good kick. Our defensive efforts also very poor in trying to contain there forwards. Gawn and Jetta killed us.

Bont I thought did well today. Needed to find something. The ruck is a huge issue that needs addressing. So hard to win the clearances for us.

Anyway we have the break next week to regroup for the game after the bye vs Port. Will still be going to our games in Victoria supporting the Dogs during these tough times for our footy club.

kruder
02-06-2018, 08:21 PM
Our problems are not the rucks. We won the stoppages, Clearances, centre clearances. We lost cont.poss and the scoreboard.

Our mids are not good enough, and our turnovers are shocking.

It is when Boyd is gassed by the time he plays forward. You need symmetry in the forward line, its built on chemistry. Its more than just a midfield problem make no mistake.

Did you watch the game last week?

kruder
02-06-2018, 08:22 PM
It is when Boyd is gassed by the time he plays forward. You need symmetry in the forward line, its built on chemistry. Its more than just a midfield problem make no mistake.

ddddd

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 08:47 PM
Not to forget the constant fumbling

The fumbling really worries me and its been something that has arisen many times in our worst perfornances this year, from guys who have historically been very clean. Dahl, Hunter, Nacrae even Bont at times.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-06-2018, 08:52 PM
Who would have signed off on today's jumper? The back of it blurred the player numbers making it vastly harder for the spectators and the callers on the radio. Its the little things like this that keep mounting up to a club that isn't thorough. Has to fall onto Chris Maple doesn't it?

Yep. Its when you add up the multiple slip ups and gaffes off the field that you see a body of work that clearly doesn't represent the very best in professionalism.
I think its beyond contention that the club needs to instigate a top to bottom review of the club.

merantau
02-06-2018, 09:52 PM
That was a very poor performance. So many players down on form and confidence. At the moment I can't see us winning more than 7 or 8 games this year.
We don't seem to have any game plan or cohesion. Our senior players are not contributing, inclusions have been underwhelming and no one is able to own their moment. Each week someone new steps up to miss a goal at an important moment. Last week it was Dahlhaus and the Bont . This week it was JJ twice, Sasche and Lipinski.
I can only see a world of pain ahead of us and I'm an optimist. I am clutching at straws to find a way forward.
I would play Tom Boyd at full forward and leave him there. We have to get games into English. Gowers stays in now that Dickson is out. Honeychurch is not going to make it and I can't see a future for Roarke Smith because he fumbles too much. JJ should go back to the twos to gain some form and maybe Dahlhaus too. Sad thing is we don't have much in the cupboard.

Eastdog
02-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Well said merantau.

Eastdog
02-06-2018, 10:02 PM
At least we won in the VFL. That's something.

bornadog
02-06-2018, 10:58 PM

Did you watch the game last week?

Yes I did, I went, did you or watched on TV?

GVGjr
03-06-2018, 07:12 AM
In the last 3 weeks we have kicked just 17 goals despite more than 150 inside 50's. Hard to imagine that we can't hold more marks or crumb a few more goals.

MrMahatma
03-06-2018, 08:02 AM
In the last 3 weeks we have kicked just 17 goals despite more than 150 inside 50's. Hard to imagine that we can't hold more marks or crumb a few more goals.

That's an amazing stat.

Last season the Crows (best in the comp at it) scored goals from 27.5% of their entries. That would turn the 17 goals into 41, and we prob win all matches (when you consider kicking a goal isn't just a positive on the scoreboard but prevents the opposition from getting momentum, gives the players a rest etc)

whythelongface
03-06-2018, 09:35 AM

That is a telling statistic. It would be interesting to see if our inside 50's drop off in the 2nd half in each of these games.

It is interesting that in the last two games our first quarters have been good and we have been able to score reasonably freely. Yet after qtr time it seems like we are rushed, can't hit targets and lose any semblance of structure. Why is this?

The biggest issues are our disposal into the forward line, our seemingly slow ball movement and the constant tinkering with our structure. What worked two years ago doesn't necessarily work now and in our case this seems to be more so the case.

As much as I hate to say it I liked Melbournes structure. Simple yet effective. We could possibly get to this if we leave Boyd forward bring in Campbell (or continue with English when fit), fast track the development of Schache and have Trengrove and Adams (if he can stay on the park) as our key defenders. Where that leaves Roughie I don't know. Of course this isn't the only issue but certainly a good starting point.

We somehow need to draft or trade for some decent midfielders who can execute accurately by foot. We continually miss targets or just bomb it long in hope.

I suppose the positive is that we are getting our hands on the footy. But that is only useful if you know what to do with it. As someone mentioned it seems like we have gone full circle back to the McCartney days of contested possession but not having any clue from there.

kruder
03-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Yes I did, I went, did you or watched on TV?

I was there

Eastdog
03-06-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm very dissapointed right now. My mum was happy she is a Demons supporter.

No forward structure whatsoever. What are we doing up there. What? JJ needs a spell I think. Way too many turnovers. We need to try and get Schache more by himself in the forward line so he can mark it as he is a good kick. Our defensive efforts also very poor in trying to contain there forwards. Gawn and Jetta killed us.

Bont I thought did well today. Needed to find something. The ruck is a huge issue that needs addressing. So hard to win the clearances for us.

Anyway we have the break next week to regroup for the game after the bye vs Port. Will still be going to our games in Victoria supporting the Dogs during these tough times for our footy club.

Actually with my comment on the clearances we actually did ok with them but the other stuff not so good.

Go_Dogs
03-06-2018, 05:16 PM
A couple of passages of play that stood out to me yesterday, both involving Hogan.

The first, we turned the ball over around our half forward line and as soon as the turnover became apparent, Hogan started sprinting forward and either through lack of attention, lack of effort, or that it doesn't align with the structure we want, no one ran with him (to be honest, his speed and motor for a big man who apparently doesn't mind a cigarette is pretty impressive, we probably didn't have anyone playing yesterday who could go with him). We managed to thwart this entry, but I kept an eye on Hogan after this.

The second, where he got out the back for an easy goal following a brilliant 45 kick from the left half back region to open up the corridor where the next kick went to Hogan for a joe the goose. As soon as he saw the corridor kick being an option, he made his move forward, again unnoticed or unable to be followed for an easy goal.

This highlights confidence in his teammates to execute, something we lack, highlighted most evidently when we were able to move the ball to our right half forward area with speed, only to have to stop and wait as we didn't have a single player close to being ahead to the ball.

Highlights:-
Well, we looked OK in the first 15 minutes.
Despite labouring and probably ready to get some hip surgery done and prepare for 2019, Bont played well.
Maybe in time Boyd and Schache can become as good as Tom McDonald (what a pair of hands) and Hogan. Those guys have played a lot of senior footy now and it shows, our boys have time, but need time in the right parts of the ground and a focus from their teammates to give them a chance.

Sedat
03-06-2018, 11:31 PM
Our modes of scoring were almost identical to Melbourne yesterday with one glaring exception - scores from turnovers. Melbourne kicked 11 goals to 3 - there's your ball game right there. We work more than hard enough to win the ball but we are incredibly careless with it.

bornadog
03-06-2018, 11:41 PM
Our modes of scoring were almost identical to Melbourne yesterday with one glaring exception - scores from turnovers. Melbourne kicked 11 goals to 3 - there's your ball game right there. We work more than hard enough to win the ball but we are incredibly careless with it.

Said it many times in many threads. Same thing happened against West Coast.

At the game I checked the stats at 3 qrt time and we were winning everything including the vital ones, Cont poss, stoppages clearances, yet I looked at the scoreboard and we were 5 goals down. We just continually gave the ball back. We looked great running out of defense and streaming down the ground, then we would cough it up, not even under pressure, just stupid football.

At the end of the game, we still won the stats above except cont.poss and scoreboard.

Mantis
04-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Said it many times in many threads. Same thing happened against West Coast.

At the game I checked the stats at 3 qrt time and we were winning everything including the vital ones, Cont poss, stoppages clearances, yet I looked at the scoreboard and we were 5 goals down. We just continually gave the ball back. We looked great running out of defense and streaming down the ground, then we would cough it up, not even under pressure, just stupid football.

At the end of the game, we still won the stats above except cont.poss and scoreboard.

Do you think we work hard enough to win it back?

Do you think we set-up well enough to guard against our turnovers?

G-Mo77
04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Do you think we work hard enough to win it back?

Do you think we set-up well enough to guard against our turnovers?

No and no.

Once it's gone it's on to the next bloke to fix it up. We're always defending too high when we have the ball, turn over and it's Joe The Goose.