PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical: Mid Season Draft/Trade Period

bulldogtragic
03-06-2018, 12:10 PM
The AFEL have teased that a mid season draft &/or trade period could be on the horizon. It could be next year, but imagine it was this year. I imagine it would be held over the bye period (this week or so), so we'd need to make calls on players right now. I don't think drafting kids would be involved owing to development and size issues, so it's probably more about state league players to draft, and straight player trades between AFEL clubs. Pretending that the AFEL had brought it in now, and this week was the mid season draft/trade period, what changes if any would you make in trading any players out? And, if spots are opened, which state league players would you target to improve the list be it mids who can kick, rucks, forwards etc?

boydogs
03-06-2018, 10:46 PM
You love this stuff don't you BT :)

I'd prefer no midseason draft, to have to try and turn it around with the guys you have. So much more rewarding if you do

GVGjr
03-06-2018, 10:52 PM
I'd prefer no midseason draft, to have to try and turn it around with the guys you have. So much more rewarding if you do

100% agree, In my opinion mid season drafts are being considered because it's another marketing and sponsorship opportunity.
Give the clubs and extra 2 players on their list and tell them to manage it right.
Why should other clubs outside of the AFL have their seasons impacted because the most professional clubs in the sport haven't managed things right?

We have two drafts and a trade period and my view is once the competition starts we should be locked into the players we have.

Twodogs
03-06-2018, 11:34 PM
100% agree, In my opinion mid season drafts are being considered because it's another marketing and sponsorship opportunity.
Give the clubs and extra 2 players on their list and tell them to manage it right.
Why should other clubs outside of the AFL have their seasons impacted because the most professional clubs in the sport haven't managed things right?

We have two drafts and a trade period and my view is once the competition starts we should be locked into the players we have.

I agree it's all show.

Your point about other leagues is a good one. And it's not even because clubs are incapable of organising themselves but more because the AFL want to be able to talk about/report/anticipate/broadcast something during the bye weekend.

bulldogtragic
03-06-2018, 11:49 PM
You love this stuff don't you BT :)

As usual, you’re right about there shouldn’t be one. But if there was one coming in, and hypothetically this year, would we just choose not to participate?

bornadog
04-06-2018, 12:11 AM
As usual, you’re right about there shouldn’t be one. But if there was one coming in, and hypothetically this year, would we just choose not to participate?

We would be looking for some midfielders that had pace and could kick a ball and goals as well as a goal sneak, ala Eddie Betts type

boydogs
04-06-2018, 09:02 PM

Nah of course not. A few forwards might be on the agenda :)

bulldogtragic
04-06-2018, 09:06 PM
We would be looking for some midfielders that had pace and could kick a ball and goals as well as a goal sneak, ala Eddie Betts type

Nah of course not. A few forwards might be on the agenda :)

Assuming we had to enter the state leagues, combining both posts, a good user who can play forward. Would someone like a Nahas make a meaningful difference to the next 11 games, or clog the list. Or someone like a Tim Kelly or Dom Barry last year.

boydogs
05-06-2018, 12:26 AM
Assuming we had to enter the state leagues, combining both posts, a good user who can play forward. Would someone like a Nahas make a meaningful difference to the next 11 games, or clog the list. Or someone like a Tim Kelly or Dom Barry last year.

I've always rated Nahas, but I'm thinking more mid-sized players who can lead & mark, but also tackle and handball receive. Dickson, Picken, Stringer, Smith types :)

Remi Moses
05-06-2018, 09:05 AM
We need more key backs , surely
All seriousness, it’s totally about more hogging the limelight

Doc26
05-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Not keen on a mid-season draft per-se, but would like the league to explore the possibility of Clubs being able to promote players from within their VFL/NEAFL/WAFL/SANFL aligned Club from mid-season, maybe capped to 2 or 3 players, and be awarded a points discount at the National Draft if they wish to nominate that player/s for subsequent drafting. This would not only help raise the interest level at VFL etc level but provide a greater incentive for the Club and its non-AFL listed players to develop within the same framework as their more fortunate listed team mates. Somewhat of an extension of the Rookie concept.

With this in mind, taking a look at Reuben and Hayes at the higher level would be of interest given current performance.

bulldogtragic
05-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Not keen on a mid-season draft per-se, but would like the league to explore the possibility of Clubs being able to promote players from within their VFL/NEAFL/WAFL/SANFL aligned Club from mid-season, maybe capped to 2 or 3 players, and be awarded a points discount at the National Draft if they wish to nominate that player/s for subsequent drafting. This would not only help raise the interest level at VFL etc level but provide a greater incentive for the Club and its non-AFL listed players to develop within the same framework as their more fortunate listed team mates. Somewhat of an extension of the Rookie concept.

With this in mind, taking a look at Reuben and Hayes at the higher level would be of interest given current performance.

Have you ever considered running the AFL? That's a cracker of an idea.