PDA

View Full Version : Rate a team in 2008: Port Power

GVGjr
31-01-2008, 09:59 PM
The Power defied most of the critics in 2007 by climbing into the finals and really being a genuine contender. With the Cornes and Burgyone brothers, Cassisi plus the emergence of guys like Salopek, Pearce and Chaplin and the fast tracking of rookies like Boak, Westhoff and Krakouer the Power looked well placed for another stellar 2008.

Where do you see them finishing?

BulldogBelle
31-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I rate Port Adelaide very highly - Williams has done very well with this group. Definitely see them as a big threat in 2008. Very impressive team.

Prediction 2 - 4 position.

LostDoggy
31-01-2008, 11:45 PM
With one question mark, I think: will the GF blowout have a negative lasting effect?

(I tend to lean towards a yes. They reminded me of Melbourne, St Kilda, Sydney, Collingwood, and Carlton the years they made a Grand Final unexpectedly -- in the last ten years -- and lost badly to the favourites. They all struggled to a certain extent the following year[s]. But far be it from me to question Mark William's expertise, and the Port DO have an extremely "winning-y" culture.)

Sockeye Salmon
01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
They'll be thereabouts.

Desperately need another big guy or two. Tredrea is finished and they could do with another defender as well.

The Underdog
01-02-2008, 01:04 PM
They'll be thereabouts.

Desperately need another big guy or two. Tredrea is finished and they could do with another defender as well.

I tend to agree.
They've got a fantastic selection of mids and small forwards and backs. They definitely need another consistent tall forward and back. Tredrea's done, I'm not completely sold on Westhoff despite having a good first year. But they have guys like Ebert and Motlop who can give them a lot of goals and good small targets. Definitely top 8. Williams is a very good coach and they're very good at bringing on young players quickly.

LostDoggy
02-02-2008, 10:51 AM
I think the way the Power go about their recruiting, trading and player development is something that we should aspire to or at least try and emulate.

Top 6 for 2008

Go_Dogs
02-02-2008, 02:22 PM
I agree that they will again be around the mark.

They are perhaps 1 quality tall forward short, but between Westhoff/Tredrea/Lade/Brogan they have a few options up forward. They also have the likes of Cockshell, Westhoff Jr, Lobbe etc coming through the ranks as tall forward options.

Chad Cornes could even be the answer, as their backline with Chaplin, Thurstans and Pettigrew looks pretty solid.

mighty_west
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Middle of the road, may sneak into the 8 without too many injuries.

11 - 8th

hujsh
05-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Lets say top 6-3

LostDoggy
13-02-2008, 05:30 PM
The were the suprise package of last year, top four spot for me. They are not a club that is used to loosing, not to mention loosing badly, they will be out for redemption.

Go_Dogs
13-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Young Motlop will play an important role for them this year too. It's good to see Williams continuing to show faith in the youngsters who rewarded him well last year.

hujsh
13-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Young Motlop will play an important role for them this year too. It's good to see Williams continuing to show faith in the youngsters who rewarded him well last year.

Similar to Coll'wood it will be interesting to see how well these kids play this year