PDA

View Full Version : Bankers And Anchors - Round 23, 2018 vs Richmond

Eastdog
09-06-2018, 08:12 PM
This is the round 23, 2018 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Richmond is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
25-08-2018, 05:10 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
25-08-2018, 05:44 PM
B

Effort. Where was this team last week. Can we have this one play for us next year.
Lynch. Looks a likely forward.
Macrae. Freak.
Gowers. Winning our club goal kicking as a first year rookie.

A

Three posters in the last term, to lose by three points. Man I wanted that one.
Injuries again. Time for sore bodies to rest up.
Smith. Please delist. I know you won't, but please do.

bornadog
25-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Bankers

1. Aaron Naughton - 18 years old, still learning but so impressive.
2. Lynch's two goals - showed something today
3. Crozier, even though I couldn't put him in the votes, that spoil in the dying stages nearly won us the game with Lynch having a shot. The desperation was incredible.

Anchors

1. Richmond crowd constantly whinging for free kicks. Who says Frees should be even.
2. Perplexing umpiring, so many weird decisions like deliberate OOB against Ed. I thought Hunter should have got a free in the dying seconds when they landed on his back, instead the ump gives it for holding the ball.
3. Three posters, Bont missing from 20 metres, Lachie missing from 40 metres - really we should have won and only ourselves to blame.

Ozza
25-08-2018, 10:28 PM
Bankers:

Macrae - just a pleasure to watch him go about it. Never stops.
Gowers - good on him for another 3 goal game, and kicking our most goals for the season. Love how he launches at the footy.
Naughton - tough day on a champion - but took some huge grabs and you can tell how much he hates getting beaten. He will be a great defender for us.

Anchors:

Roarke Smith - the kid has some athletic attributes (fun fact: he covered more Kms than anyone on the ground today according to afl gps data)...but his instincts and decision making doesn’t resemble an AFL player in any way.
Lack of composure in the last quarter,. The effort was immense, but composure and finishing needed to be so much better.
Greene & Schache - disappeared late in the game...out of legs I guess. They’ll be better next season and have shown a bit.

westbulldog
26-08-2018, 12:46 AM
B
Jack Macrae -tough and elite, even with 3 games out he will poll high in the Brownlow.
We have a wonderful group of young players and so much to look forward to next year.
Lynch - shows promise, I like his daring and that he is one of the first to remonstrate with the opposition.

A
Inaccuracy - we have been on this for 2 years, it has cost us so many games. Coaches get the message and do something about it !
Season over and we are just getting on a roll.
Lipinski's injury, wish him well.

ratsmac
26-08-2018, 01:13 PM
Bankers

1. 4 quarter effort. I seriously thought Richmond would blow us away in the 2nd half. At stages in the 3rd I thought we were going to capitulate but we just kept fighting. Loved the effort.

2. Jack Macrae. What a jet. This bloke was a wirey skinny kid that loved the side step who never looked like becoming a contested beast. He is now just as effective on the inside as he is with outside run. He is un-tagable (new word?), he cannot be tagged. His work rate is elite and so is he. I'm so proud of him.

3. Crozier. Happy to be wrong about this bloke like many other on this forum. His form in the back half of the season was great. Yesterday he was clearing the backline, spoiling and doing a lot of desperation acts. He is playing the Matty Boyd half back roll but with the added aerial part. He is a great get by the club.

Anchors

1. Losing like that! We had them. It was up to us just to not hit the post 3 times in the last quarter or miss a simple set shot from 20 out on a slight angle. Had it been for a spot in the 8 or top 4 we would be gutted.

2. Deliberate out of bounds against Ed. WTF? To quote the great John McEnroe "you can't be serious". Defenders do it 15 times a game. Since when are we paying those deliberate? Some of the HTB decisions against us with no prior opportunity were just wrong as well, and they cost us a couple goals from memory.

3. Roughead. We'll never forget you mate but thank you for your services. A change of scenery hopefully rekindles your fire because you look tired. I can't see him at the dogs next year.

comrade
26-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Massive banker to Crozier. That spoil in the final minute should be replayed all pre-season as an example of a bloke giving everything he’s got right up until the last second of the last game.

Eastdog
26-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Bankers:

1. Aaron Naughton 1st season - been great

2. Crozier - looking really good in the half back area - great 2nd half of the season

3. Macrae - I think he will win the Sutton medal this year.

Anchors:

1. Losing in a close one like that

2. Missing those shots in the final term

3. No finals again this year.

Mofra
27-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Bankers:

- Trengove, Crozier, Schache. All three finish the year as best 22 players, would have been happy with that scenario October last year.

- Naughton holding down a KPD post against the Coleman medallist who was getting most of Richmond's F50 entries all day. Brave coaching by Bevo, Aaron would have learned a lot. His intercept marking is incredible.

- Macrae's sheer workrate. Phenomenal.

Anchors:

- MCG goal post width. Dammit!

Nothing else. We should be satisfied with the effort (not the result) and matching it with the top team as the youngest team in the comp should be cause for optimism.

Sedat
27-08-2018, 01:53 PM
The only anchor for me was Brad Lynch burning Ed Richards with about 2 mins to go. Really like the way he is developing but he needs work on making better decisions - the long bomb to Greene that went out of bounds in the forward pocket was a poor option when he had Richards all on his own with a simple 20m chip kick to the right that would have given Richards an open goal from 30m dead in front. I'm sure it would have been highlighted in the review.

No problems at all with Lynch taking the shot a minute later or his method of going around the corner from that distance and tight angle - he flushed it and only missed by 5cms

Happy Days
27-08-2018, 02:39 PM
No problems at all with Lynch taking the shot a minute later or his method of going around the corner from that distance and tight angle - he flushed it and only missed by 5cms

+1 - was very much into that.