PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 19, 2018 vs Port Power

Eastdog
09-06-2018, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 19, 2018 match against Port Power at Mars Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
22-07-2018, 06:11 PM
Bump

bornadog
22-07-2018, 06:33 PM
In Bont, Greene, Young,

Out: HC, Naughton, Dahl (injured)

bulldogtragic
22-07-2018, 06:36 PM
In Bont, Greene, Young,

Ditto. If Bont is cherry ripe only.

westbulldog
22-07-2018, 10:46 PM
In
Ned Kelly, Dan Kelly, Joe Byrne, Steve Hart and Peter Lalor.

Out
Take your pick

boydogs
23-07-2018, 01:26 AM
In: English, Bont, Biggs
Out: Boyd, Honeychurch, Dahlhaus

GVGjr
23-07-2018, 01:50 AM
In: English, Bont, Biggs
Out: Boyd, Honeychurch, Dahlhaus

Do you think we can have both Roughead and English in the same side?

Jeanette54
23-07-2018, 01:44 PM
In
Ned Kelly, Dan Kelly, Joe Byrne, Steve Hart and Peter Lalor.

Out
Take your pick

I think they are all poor choices. As I recall the Kellys lost the GF at Glenrowan, and Peter Lalor captained the loosing side at Eureka.

josie
23-07-2018, 02:46 PM
In Bont, Greene, Young,

Agree, also tempted to drop Rough and bring in English.

westbulldog
23-07-2018, 04:22 PM
I think they are all poor choices. As I recall the Kellys lost the GF at Glenrowan, and Peter Lalor captained the loosing side at Eureka.

But they put up a fight :)

boydogs
23-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Do you think we can have both Roughead and English in the same side?

I dropped Boyd, so much the same as last week

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-07-2018, 09:50 PM
In Bont, Greene, Young,

These are good in’s but would prefer to retain Naughton at the expense of Trengrove who has been a disappointment. An opportunity also to return Naughton and Cordy to defence and play Adams at CHF which would give us a better marking option than Boyd who continues to disappoint.

BornInDroopSt'54
24-07-2018, 01:00 PM

But they had fight against insurmountable odds and played 120 minutes of football with a great shortage of support.

GVGjr
25-07-2018, 03:32 AM
In Bontempelli, Biggs and Greene
Out Dahlhaus, Honeychurch and Roughead

Bulldog4life
25-07-2018, 09:29 AM
In Bontempelli, Biggs and Greene

Mine is similar but I have the following changes:

In Bontempelli, English , Greene

Bullies
25-07-2018, 11:09 AM
To think some of these in the team are getting games when they are so out of form - Daniel, Roughead, Boyd, Gowers, Adams, Trengove, Honeychurch, Naughton. It just shows where we are at.

Ozza
25-07-2018, 11:14 AM
To think some of these in the team are getting games when they are so out of form - Daniel, Roughead, Boyd, Gowers, Adams, Trengove, Honeychurch, Naughton. It just shows where we are at.

I think it shows that we have a dozen injuries. Plenty of these aren't getting a game if Suckling, Bont (back this week), Picken, Williams, Libba, Wood, Dale, Dickson, English (returning to fitness), Redpath and others are available.

Mofra
25-07-2018, 11:31 AM
I think it shows that we have a dozen injuries. Plenty of these aren't getting a game if Suckling, Bont (back this week), Picken, Williams, Libba, Wood, Dale, Dickson, English (returning to fitness), Redpath and others are available.
With respect to Redpath, I think it's Schache who has taken his spot and right now Schache doesn't look close to giving it up.

If Gowers was the forward surprise packet of the year early, Schache is the surprise packet late. Well ahead of where I expected him to be.

Ozza
25-07-2018, 11:46 AM
Schache has been one of the better stories of our season. Looks a long term player for us. Hasn't had his 21st birthday yet.

hujsh
25-07-2018, 12:31 PM
Schache is why I bother watching right now.

dukedog
25-07-2018, 05:19 PM
I remember when he was at the lions. Jonathon brown talked him up big time. I know that Johnno was a lion and he knew he was a pick 2. But it sounded genuine. He has good hands and usually a good kick. His ground ball still needs work. But the kid will dominate I'm a few years

bornadog
26-07-2018, 06:09 PM
Mark Stevens‏ @Stevo7AFL (https://twitter.com/Stevo7AFL)

A few murmurs surrounding Tom Boyd and Billy Gowers at Dogs ... could add to the long injury list at kennel ... Boyd (back), Gowers (ankle). Mitch Honeychurch has recovered well from Hurn incident

bulldogtragic
26-07-2018, 06:46 PM

A few murmurs surrounding Tom Boyd and Billy Gowers at Dogs ... could add to the long injury list at kennel ... Boyd (back), Gowers (ankle). Mitch Honeychurch has recovered well from Hurn incident

If, Tom's got a crook back, Then, Barrett can explain himself all over again or call Tom's mental illness into question again like the weak nothing-man he is.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2018, 06:47 PM

Can't wait for Barrett to report Boyd actually has a finger injury. And then for Bevo to confirm it is a finger injury - both middle fingers from repeatedly extending them Barrett's way.

josie
26-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Woo hoo!! All aboard the Fergus Greene train!! I am a fan and he is debuting this Sunday. Worth the trip to Ballarat. Go Fergus!!

Rocket Science
26-07-2018, 07:32 PM
OUTS: Gowers, Dahlhaus, Boyd
INS: Some bloke named Bontempelli and a bunch of cannon fodder

I'll say it again, all aboard the pick 3 train.

josie
26-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Oh you cynic you !!

I keep saying to myself after each loss at least it helps with a good draft pick, however I still think wins are not only more fun for supporters, I think it gives our young players the belief they can compete. Also I enjoy seeing 1pr 2 of our young players do a few special things each game. So for me usuallymy emotion overrules my logic so I would rather win games or at least be competitive (which we kind of have been for most of our matches). I think we will still pick a good player whether it is 3 through to 6 or so.

Not sure I’d port have Ryder in ruck but with Trengove and Roughy in the ruck I reckon we are in for a tough day. Will be nice to say thanks to Clay though. And see Greene debut.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Surely after that hit Honeychurch must be not in the squad, I mean rested, I mean 'conservatively managed', I mean dropped, I mean...

lemmon
26-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Looking forward to seeing Fergus get a run. Nice athlete that finds ways of hitting the scoreboard. He's an interesting footballer.

Bullies
27-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Surely after that hit Honeychurch must be not in the squad, I mean rested, I mean 'conservatively managed', I mean dropped, I mean... Apparently he pulled up well after a skating session with the coach and Roarke Smith so all good.

Ozza
27-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Roarke Smith......first picked.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Apparently he pulled up well after a skating session with the coach and Roarke Smith so all good.

What are the alternatives?

Mofra
27-07-2018, 10:16 AM
Looking forward to seeing Fergus get a run. Nice athlete that finds ways of hitting the scoreboard. He's an interesting footballer.
Yep - raw but simply has to get his chance at AFL because he has been banging the door down at VFL level.

Mofra
27-07-2018, 10:17 AM
What are the alternatives?
To HC? Ummmmm... Tom Campbell?

Our injury list would battle our healthy list hard, and that's only because Macrae & Bonti's have gone from the injury list to the main side.

Sedat
27-07-2018, 10:29 AM

I reckon we win this Sunday. Port are spooked and have thrown in 3 underdone players out of desperation to stay in the finals race - massive risk by them.

Eastdog
27-07-2018, 10:54 AM
Good luck to Fergus and congrats to Bont on 100 games.

Bullies
27-07-2018, 11:09 AM
What are the alternatives? Surely HC won't be there next year so give Porter a go.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Surely HC won't be there next year so give Porter a go.

He should be delisted. Bevo just said he will be playing

Was it you who rammed Roarke and Collins this morning :D

Roarke Smith......first picked.

Roarke out after a car accident.

Mofra
27-07-2018, 11:32 AM
I reckon we win this Sunday. Port are spooked and have thrown in 3 underdone players out of desperation to stay in the finals race - massive risk by them.
If we don't; win this weekend, I imagine we beat the Saints anyway.

We'd need to lose every game for the year bar Carlton, and for Brisbane to beat Gold Coast (likely), for us to slip below Brisbane on percentage. If the saints snag a surprise victory that would help, they drew to GWS so are only 2 points below us

Sedat
27-07-2018, 11:36 AM
Roarke Smith out with a cut head from a car accident - was in hospital last night apparently.

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 12:02 PM
Roarke Smith out with a cut head from a car accident - was in hospital last night apparently.

He was in hospital last night before the accident happened this morning? That is concerning.

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 12:03 PM
He should be delisted. Bevo just said he will be playing

Was it you who rammed Roarke and Collins this morning :D

Roarke out after a car accident.

He's driving around looking for Honeychurch now.;)

bornadog
27-07-2018, 12:06 PM
He was in hospital last night before the accident happened this morning? That is concerning.

Very funny. :D

From Club website

Western Bulldogs players Roarke Smith and Kieran Collins were involved in a minor car accident this morning.

Smith and Collins were on their way to VU Whitten Oval for training, when the collision occurred.

As a precaution, both players were taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital and treated for minor injuries.

Smith has been ruled out of Sunday’s game against Port Adelaide.

Smith and Collins are expected to remain in hospital under observation for a short period of time.

bornadog
27-07-2018, 02:30 PM
Tim English comes into squad of 26 to replace Smith

Sedat
27-07-2018, 02:33 PM
Nah, just overheard he was in a car accident and assumed it was last night after selection.

Glad the two boys are ok.

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Tim English comes into squad of 26 to replace Smith

Who isn't in the squad of 26 and is fit at the moment? Collins was in the accident too, is there anybody else available?

bornadog
27-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Who isn't in the squad of 26 and is fit at the moment? Collins was in the accident too, is there anybody else available?

I am pretty sure that's it. VFL has a bye, so I guess they are all travelling up there.

Just checked, NMM misses - but he is probably injured :D

Mofra
27-07-2018, 02:57 PM
Just checked, NMM misses - but he is probably injured :D
Not yet, but it's a long drive...

Rocket Science
27-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Surely it's time to give this bloke a run ...

https://preview.ibb.co/ckUo3o/bevo.png (https://ibb.co/h2qHw8)

... in the ruck.

Twodogs
27-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Surely it's time to give this bloke a run ...

https://preview.ibb.co/ckUo3o/bevo.png (https://ibb.co/h2qHw8)

... in the ruck.

Far out, Luke last played with us close on 30 years ago and that shot could easily be a photoshop with young Luke shopped onto modern day bulldog player. He has barely aged a bit.

hujsh
27-07-2018, 05:32 PM
Far out, Luke last played with us close on 30 years ago and that shot could easily be a photoshop with young Luke shopped onto modern day bulldog player. He has barely aged a bit.

Maybe checkout the sponsor on the shorts

bornadog
27-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Final Team

Full back
M Adams
J Trengove
A Naughton

Half back
D Morris
Z Cordy
J Johannisen

Centreline
H Crozier
J Macrae
B Lynch

Half forward
E Richards
J Schache
J Dunkley

Full forward
L Hunter
M Bontempelli
F Greene

Followers
J Roughead
T McLean
M Wallis

Interchange
F Roberts
M Honeychurch
P Lipinski

C Daniel

Emergencies
L Young
S Biggs
C Porter

T English

IN: M. Bontempelli, F. Roberts, P. Lipinski, F. Greene
OUT: L. Dahlhaus (ankle), T. Boyd (back), B. Gowers (ankle), R. Smith (car accident)

The Pie Man
27-07-2018, 06:35 PM
Biggs couldn’t get a game with that squad named.

We’ll always remember October 1st 2016 Shane.

Axe Man
27-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Thank goodness we brought in another key defender, we were looking quite light on in that area. I would have preferred we brought Young in as well but we will just have to go in undersized against the giant Port forwards like Gray, Wingard, Rockliff and Boak. The rain should really work in our favour here.

SlimPickens
27-07-2018, 07:19 PM
Fletch to full forward maybe he’ll do a reverse Liam Jones?

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 08:03 PM
Fletch to full forward maybe he’ll do a reverse Liam Jones?

The reverse Liam Jones sounds like something from the Karma Sutra... Probably where you go passed the man, fail to grab it in your hands and then unfashionably take it on the chest.

kruder
27-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Young is an interesting one, been in the bests nearly ever week at VFL level and cant get a game still. I wonder if he will have a look around at years end.

josie
27-07-2018, 08:27 PM
Trengove, Roughy and Roberts-all quite s-l-o-w. Hope their game sense makes up for lack of zip, as could be a problem in forward, back and around the ground if rucking. At least Bonti is back. And did I mention I am excited about Greene? Go Fergus!!

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Young is an interesting one, been in the bests nearly ever week at VFL level and cant get a game still. I wonder if he will have a look around at years end.

A couple of weeks ago media reports were Adelaide were chasing him.

kruder
27-07-2018, 08:33 PM
A couple of weeks ago media reports were Adelaide were chasing him.

Is he contracted?

kruder
27-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Is he contracted?

All good still has one year to go so will have leverage.

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Is he contracted?

Yep. So it needs to be a good offer.

Unrelated, Mitch McGovern wants out of his contract to Victoria.

Not related facts, but facts if both clubs want explore if they could be related with more on our end.

kruder
27-07-2018, 08:43 PM
Yep. So it needs to be a good offer.

Unrelated, Mitch McGovern wants out of his contract to Victoria.

Not related facts, but facts if both clubs want explore if they could be related with more on our end.

I remember seeing Atkins might want out also, more of a cream on the top player but all in all a player we lack on our list. Very hard to judge whats Youngs value trade wise is, obviously very talented but when your playing him in the VFL and young side is struggling...

bulldogtragic
27-07-2018, 09:27 PM
I remember seeing Atkins might want out also, more of a cream on the top player but all in all a player we lack on our list. Very hard to judge whats Youngs value trade wise is, obviously very talented but when your playing him in the VFL and young side is struggling...

Yep. I think it will be a gut feel type trade. If they offer a pick near where he was drafted, and if they went hard ball on their players, then pass. On the other hand say:

- We get pick 19 for Dahl (end of 1st rounder), and Adelaide demand that & picks 41 & 59 (5 pick upgrades) for McGovern.
- We demand pick 29 & picks 46 & 64 (5 pick downgrades) for Young.

Adelaide get a late first rounder, plus Third & Fourth Round Upgrades for McGovern. (Free salary up, bring in a needed player and SA kid)
Dogs get a mid second rounder, less Third & Fourth Round Downgrades for Young. (Dogs get much needed mid sized 1.5 goal a game fwd)

That screams take it in my gut.

For us, that means we are circa 400 draft points down, which are committed anyway and will come from pick 29, pick 46, Roughead compo (42 most likely) and picks 60 & 64 - which is enough to take West at 9 & Khamis at 30.

So pick 5, West, Khamis, McGovern, pick 77 & 95 (possibly NGAs) and upgrading Gowers & Lynch. (Re-signing Wally & Libba)

bornadog
27-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Is he contracted?

He is 19 years old and contracted.

Bullies
27-07-2018, 10:31 PM
Young is an interesting one, been in the bests nearly ever week at VFL level and cant get a game still. I wonder if he will have a look around at years end. Young apparently wants to go back to Adelaide if the opportunity comes up at trade.

kruder
27-07-2018, 10:39 PM
Young apparently wants to go back to Adelaide if the opportunity comes up at trade.

We gave him the number 2 gurnsey at the end of his first year and then persisted to play him at VFL level. Been another strange one from the outside looking in.

Go_Dogs
28-07-2018, 08:50 AM
We gave him the number 2 gurnsey at the end of his first year and then persisted to play him at VFL level. Been another strange one from the outside looking in.

I would've liked Young to play a few more games this season, but I'm not too concerned with him working on his game at VFL level - as long as the communication is clear and he's very much part of our future thinking.

He started with a bang when he came into the side late last season, but trialled off pretty quickly and has to iron out some aspects of his game. I'm reluctant to trade him, but if Adelaide are keen (and looking at their key defenders, they should be) and can make a reasonable offer, we'd have to listen.

GVGjr
28-07-2018, 09:01 AM
I would've liked Young to play a few more games this season, but I'm not too concerned with him working on his game at VFL level - as long as the communication is clear and he's very much part of our future thinking.

He started with a bang when he came into the side late last season, but trialled off pretty quickly and has to iron out some aspects of his game. I'm reluctant to trade him, but if Adelaide are keen (and looking at their key defenders, they should be) and can make a reasonable offer, we'd have to listen.

He was always likely to plateau a bit this year and while I'd have liked to have seen him build on last year like you I'm not concerned.
Young's skills are around his marking and intercept marking ability plus he is very quick as well. Once he learns how to use that running ability he will be a handful for opponents. Young, Naughton and Cordy are greats options to build our back line around in the coming years

Bulldog4life
28-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Young apparently wants to go back to Adelaide if the opportunity comes up at trade.

Where did you read that Bullies?

Mantis
29-07-2018, 03:08 PM
Fletcher Roberts before Young.. WTF?

Understand our injury situation, but we should looking to the future with this selection.

DOG GOD
29-07-2018, 03:18 PM

Understand our injury situation, but we should looking to the future with this selection.

Unless young is on the way out ?

Rocket Science
29-07-2018, 03:19 PM

We're clearly showcasing him!

I wonder who'll last the longest on Dixon out of Trengove, Adams, or Roberts, the suspense is killing me.

bornadog
29-07-2018, 03:22 PM
Teams final, barring any last minute injuries:)