PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 18, 2018 vs West Coast

Eastdog
09-06-2018, 08:17 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 18, 2018 match against West Coast?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
14-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
14-07-2018, 08:48 PM
In

Young/Collins, Greene

Out

Morris (doesn't need a trip to Perth, rested), Honeychurch (enough)

Bullies
14-07-2018, 08:51 PM
Out: Honeychurch, Biggs, Smith and Roughead

In: Don't care. Would be happy to play 4 short with the contest and the skills these guys give.

Smith is obviously still skating with Bevo.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Smith much look a million bucks at VFL level. Because he looks like a very poor AFEL footballer.

The bulldog tragician
14-07-2018, 09:21 PM
Roarke Smith looks like a guy who has played under 10 matches. Not every player dazzles at that point of their career, very few do. They make mistakes, panic, take the wrong option because they are still very early in their career. I haven’t got a clue whether he will make it, he may not, but I’m willing to see his potential over the rest of the year. Can we please remember that he is trying to make his way ina backline with two other very youthful players, in a struggling team, and give him a bit of time and patience to see whether he deserves a spot next year.

kruder
14-07-2018, 09:54 PM
Roughead had the worst 20 possession game I have ever seen. Lets be honest outside of the 4 finals games in which he was solid he has had an average career at best. Campbell either plays or get him off the list at the end of the year its getting beyond a joke.

Do we have anyone under 190cm that could actually play?

I'd drop Daniel If I could played ok in the first half but not good enough from a player with his ability. He has had another poor year indeed.
Linpinksi has just been going, looks to handball way too much and gets moved off the ball way too easily. Obviously has a good tank but has a long way to go.

Smith and Honey are the obvious. Not AFL standard but due to injuries will probably play again.

bornadog
15-07-2018, 12:36 AM
Smith much look a million bucks at VFL level. Because he looks like a very poor AFEL footballer.

9 matches in, let's see how he develops. Over the years woofers have had a go at players in their early games eg Williams, but they have come good. As woofer Sockeye use to say - the 20 game rule applies.

S Coast Simon
15-07-2018, 07:45 AM
We have become fickle supporters since we won the flag

smith reminds me of a young Easton Wood. Give him a break he has played a handful of games in a team getting smashed

we have some talent running around. We can match it with full teams for a good half a game. Exciting future I would have thought

westbulldog
15-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Out Honeychurch Roughead
In Campbell (give him a go) Collins (for the big body WCE forwards)

Daniel and Smith extraordinarily lucky to be on the plane although I suspect it won't matter, % booster for WCE, hope I'm wrong.

comrade
15-07-2018, 09:55 AM
I saw a few concerning things with Lynch yesterday. That hot potato handball he muffed trying to avoid contact was something he's done at VFL level. It's not a good look down there and it's even worse at the top level. He has tools we desperately need (pace and kicking) so I'm happy of the MC gives him some chances but he definitely needs to work on that side of his game.

bulldogsthru&thru
15-07-2018, 10:35 AM
We have become fickle supporters since we won the flag

smith reminds me of a young Easton Wood. Give him a break he has played a handful of games in a team getting smashed

we have some talent running around. We can match it with full teams for a good half a game. Exciting future I would have thought

I think it’s more frustration with bottoming out so badly after such a fantastic premiership. The hope was we would build from that flag and grow into a strong, stable team both on and off the field. To perform so badly, both on and off the field, is incredibly disheartening and also bewildering. A real lost opportunity that a lot of us feel has just put us back to where we’ve always been - a battling underdog

Sedat
15-07-2018, 11:12 AM
I saw a few concerning things with Lynch yesterday. That hot potato handball he muffed trying to avoid contact was something he's done at VFL level. It's not a good look down there and it's even worse at the top level. He has tools we desperately need (pace and kicking) so I'm happy of the MC gives him some chances but he definitely needs to work on that side of his game.
Also he needs to work on being more subtle with his body work in marking contests. With both the blocking frees he conceded (yesterday and against Hawthorn), the ball was miles away from the contest. People hated the frees being given but the ball wasn't even in the same postcode. He needs to work closely with Moz on his one-on-one body craft. I love his weapons and I'm not too fussed that he's been caught holding the ball a few times. Would much rather that than the hot potato handball he gave yesterday.

I reckon we need to give Ed a week off, especially at the cauldron of Perth. Ditto Lipinski. Both are really labouring at the moment and could do with a freshen up.

azabob
15-07-2018, 11:22 AM
If truth be told Lynch has avoided or been hesitant with body contact in all his matches to date. If he can show improvements in this area of his game he is a certainty to be upgraded.

I'm not too concerned on him getting caught holding the ball, i think he is still trying to pick up the tempo of the game especially in tight situations.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2018, 11:36 AM
9 matches in, let's see how he develops. Over the years woofers have had a go at players in their early games eg Williams, but they have come good. As woofer Sockeye use to say - the 20 game rule applies.

Just calling it as I see it, I think I can make an obersvation on a player before 20 games. A lot of players never got to 20 games and never came good. We can talk about Richards, English or Naughton in addition to others not going nearly as well I believe. As per my ins/outs, I don't actually have him out of the side.

Rocket Science
15-07-2018, 12:37 PM
"Hey Mitchy. No, not you Wal', the other one. Still got those picture so of me mate? Righto, you're safe for next week again."

https://preview.ibb.co/keEYu8/IMG_6922.jpg (https://ibb.co/cKReZ8)

ReLoad
15-07-2018, 01:23 PM
It’s a shame we are so cursed with injuries, Richards needs a spell, Gowers is on one leg and god knows there’s a few blokes who don’t deserve a game.

We’re a real chance to drop down a spot or two on the ladder, so let’s naximise that. We’ve got nothing to prove to anyone, we know our list, we also know who is getting cut.

Rocket Science
15-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Bevo commented post-game that the Bont's recuperating quickly and might only miss one more but frankly if he's labouring with the hip what's the point?

I get stocks are thin to the extent some are carrying ailments into games where they might otherwise be rested, but if we can devise a considered management plan (debatable given our recent track record) to get the Rolls Royce right for what looms as a critical year in 2019 then just shelve him already.

DOG GOD
15-07-2018, 03:28 PM
Bevo commented post-game that the Bont's recuperating quickly and might only miss one more but frankly if he's labouring with the hip what's the point?

I get stocks are thin to the extent some are carrying ailments into games where they might otherwise be rested, but if we can devise a considered management plan (debatable given our recent track record) to get the Rolls Royce right for what looms as a critical year in 2019 then just shelve him already.

Exactly, what’s the point in playing him. Put him to pasture and get firing on all cylinders for 2019

Sedat
15-07-2018, 04:10 PM
NicNat has done his knee so don't expect us to select Campbell next week

bulldogtragic
15-07-2018, 04:23 PM
NicNat has done his knee so don't expect us to select Campbell next week

ACL type?

Sedat
15-07-2018, 04:26 PM
ACL type?
Yep. His good knee this time. So Lycett definitely won't be gettable in your potential ruckman trade scenario.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Yep. His good knee this time. So Lycett definitely won't be gettable in your potential ruckman trade scenario.

Maybe they'll make a play for Roughy, as a cheapish mature free agent, they could do worse. They have already, Petrie.

Bullies
15-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Roarke Smith looks like a guy who has played under 10 matches. Not every player dazzles at that point of their career, very few do. They make mistakes, panic, take the wrong option because they are still very early in their career. I haven’t got a clue whether he will make it, he may not, but I’m willing to see his potential over the rest of the year. Can we please remember that he is trying to make his way ina backline with two other very youthful players, in a struggling team, and give him a bit of time and patience to see whether he deserves a spot next year. just saying that I have seen a bit of Smith in the VFL and AFL over the years and understand his injuries but in both grades I haven't seen anything to think he will make it. Hope to be proven wrong but I am not sure where his improvement will come from. He doesn't have good skills and loses touch with his opponent so many times.

Sedat
15-07-2018, 04:31 PM
Maybe they'll make a play for Roughy, as a cheapish mature free agent, they could do worse. They have already, Petrie.
Drew has retired but they still have Vardy as back-up.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2018, 04:33 PM
Drew has retired but they still have Vardy as back-up.

That's bad luck for WCE. They've looked good this year.

Sedat
15-07-2018, 04:36 PM
That's bad luck for WCE. They've looked good this year.
Yep, just as they got Kennedy and Darling back. Won't matter next week but no NicNat will hurt them at the business end.

boydogs
15-07-2018, 09:21 PM
just saying that I have seen a bit of Smith in the VFL and AFL over the years and understand his injuries but in both grades I haven't seen anything to think he will make it. Hope to be proven wrong but I am not sure where his improvement will come from. He doesn't have good skills and loses touch with his opponent so many times.

He's very quick to dispose of the ball, he doesn't inspire as a defender but might yet give us something turning defense into attack

bornadog
15-07-2018, 11:25 PM
Tim English 44 hitouts today, maybe a chance to come in.

ratsmac
16-07-2018, 12:46 AM
Tim English 44 hitouts today, maybe a chance to come in.

Looks like someone wants to play in WA next weekend!

bornadog
16-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Looks like someone wants to play in WA next weekend!

and visit mummy :D

merantau
16-07-2018, 12:16 PM
I think it’s more frustration with bottoming out so badly after such a fantastic premiership. The hope was we would build from that flag and grow into a strong, stable team both on and off the field. To perform so badly, both on and off the field, is incredibly disheartening and also bewildering. A real lost opportunity that a lot of us feel has just put us back to where we’ve always been - a battling underdog

There is a certain amount of déjÃ* vu all over again with the way things are panning out two years down the track after an epic flag win. My advanced years allows me to compare 2016 with 1954. The one thing we have on our side now compared to back then is - YOUTH
By 1960 only EJ remained from 1954. We have already lost a few with more to go soon. We need our young guys to realise their potential If not we will become a middling team again.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-07-2018, 05:11 PM
There is a certain amount of déjÃ* vu all over again with the way things are panning out two years down the track after an epic flag win. My advanced years allows me to compare 2016 with 1954. The one thing we have on our side now compared to back then is - YOUTH
By 1960 only EJ remained from 1954. We have already lost a few with more to go soon. We need our young guys to realise their potential If not we will become a middling team again.

Jim Gallagher and Arthur Edwards were still there in 1960 but you are right there was an exit by many of the stars from ‘54, which had such a great team capable of winning more flags. A lack of success also followed our GF appearance in ‘61 similar to our fall off in the past two years. Apart from Schache we have struggled to lure good players from other AFL Clubs which would add badly needed experience and quality to our team, which has struggled against more experienced teams in Hawthorn and Melbourne in the past two games.

Bullies
16-07-2018, 05:53 PM
We also need to remember that having a young team doesn't guarantee success. We are young but so are a lot of other teams. There are lots of guys who show a lot but can they take the next step. A lot of guys who have potential get worked out and some don't just live up to their potential. it is also harder the second year for the likes of Richards/Naughton/Lapinski and co. A lot of people said the list was a basket case 12 rounds in this year and left in a mess by McCartney/Dalrymple. I have no idea where we will be over the next couple of years but like a lot of other supporters I am just bewildered we are in this position 40 games after the flag.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2018, 06:21 PM
We also need to remember that having a young team doesn't guarantee success. We are young but so are a lot of other teams. There are lots of guys who show a lot but can they take the next step. A lot of guys who have potential get worked out and some don't just live up to their potential. it is also harder the second year for the likes of Richards/Naughton/Lapinski and co. A lot of people said the list was a basket case 12 rounds in this year and left in a mess by McCartney/Dalrymple. I have no idea where we will be over the next couple of years but like a lot of other supporters I am just bewildered we are in this position 40 games after the flag.

Great point. Injuries, or a reduction in them doesn't automatically determine more success. I'm not convinced we will make the necessary management changes anyway. Nor does having younger players automatically determine success as you say. Tom Boyd looked pretty good as a first/second year player until he spent an entire year in our system. Now he's a ruckman. Webb & Dale have looked good as youngsters, yet seemed to have stagnated. Lewis Young looked a Cert to play a heap of games last year, but that hasn't materialised. So you make a great point, unless coaching, line coaching, match day coaching, training, medical player development all improves, age profile is just that. Age profile.

Danny the snakeman
18-07-2018, 11:46 PM
Anyone know what section our cheer squad in?

Rocket Science
19-07-2018, 07:30 PM
OUTS: None yet

Extended INS: Crozier, Boyd, Greene & Roberts

ROBERTS! He's alive.

josie
19-07-2018, 07:30 PM
Greene,Roberts named on i/c. Crozier, Boyd named as in starting line up. Hope Greene get’s a go. I am a fan - love his spark and clever play even though he is slightly built. Interestingly Naughton on I/c so maybe a niggle and Roberts in. I reckon Biggs and Honey also out and maybe Lippy or Daniel out if Greene is going to get a gig.

bornadog
19-07-2018, 07:56 PM
Greene,Roberts named on i/c. Crozier, Boyd named as in starting line up. Hope Greene get’s a go. I am a fan - love his spark and clever play even though he is slightly built. Interestingly Naughton on I/c so maybe a niggle and Roberts in. I reckon Biggs and Honey also out and maybe Lippy or Daniel out if Greene is going to get a gig.

I think Biggs and Honey gone

josie
19-07-2018, 08:27 PM
I think Biggs and Honey gone

Agree. Also think it is unlikely either will be on list next year.

bornadog
19-07-2018, 09:54 PM
OUTS: None yet

Extended INS: Crozier, Boyd, Greene & Roberts

ROBERTS! He's alive.

Roberts has been rock steady in the VFL without staring.

ratsmac
19-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Gee I like the look of seeing Boyd named at FF and Schache at CHF.

The team doesn't look too bad on paper, it's a shame we can't string 4 quarters of footy together at the minute.

bornadog
19-07-2018, 11:19 PM
Gee I like the look of seeing Boyd named at FF and Schache at CHF.

The team doesn't look too bad on paper, it's a shame we can't string 4 quarters of footy together at the minute.

Very inexperienced at an average of 67 games

S Coast Simon
20-07-2018, 09:43 AM
I like Roughead getting first dibs on the ruck and Boyd up forward that would be nice. Roughead deserves a chance to go again he hopefully dusted of the cobwebs. And I hope Biggs gets a chance to redeem himself as well. Daniel could do with a good game to. Hope the boys get it a little easier in the middle this week that was hard to watch last week. They do look cooked but stranger things have happened.

bornadog
20-07-2018, 02:53 PM
For all those going to the game:

From WA Westernbulldogs Supporter Group

IMPORTANT: Empire Bar will NOW open at 11am Sunday to allow for the earlier game. We will also have special guests, such as:Simon Beasly, Eric MacKenzie and the much loved Danny McGinlay
See you all there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DihIGRjV4AAsxDz.jpg

bulldogsthru&thru
20-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Final changes are Boyd and Crozier in for Biggs and Lipinski

Looking forward to seeing a forward line of Boyd and Schache.

Surely that’s it for Biggs?

bornadog
20-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Full back
M Adams
J Trengove
R Smith

Half back
D Morris
Z Cordy
J Johannisen

Centreline
H Crozier
J Macrae
L Hunter

Half forward
E Richards
J Schache
J Dunkley

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
T Boyd
B Gowers

Followers
J Roughead
T McLean
M Wallis

Interchange
M Honeychurch
A Naughton
C Daniel

B Lynch

Emergencies
F Roberts
S Biggs
P Lipinski

F Greene

bornadog
20-07-2018, 06:23 PM
Good to see Cordy in the backline, going forward hasn't worked.

jeemak
20-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Having the Bont in the engine room (a fit Bont) would make me a lot happier.

kruder
21-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Im liking the fact that Ed is now being named on the forward flank looks like its his position going forward. Well until he becomes a mid forward anyway.

kruder
21-07-2018, 10:11 AM
I like Roughead getting first dibs on the ruck and Boyd up forward that would be nice. Roughead deserves a chance to go again he hopefully dusted of the cobwebs. And I hope Biggs gets a chance to redeem himself as well. Daniel could do with a good game to. Hope the boys get it a little easier in the middle this week that was hard to watch last week. They do look cooked but stranger things have happened.

Just wait 5 minutes in into the first quarter when Roughead is already on the bench and Boyd becomes number 1 ruck for the majority. It doesn't last long.

DOG GOD
21-07-2018, 02:04 PM
Pity Greene didn’t get a jumper over honeychurch.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2018, 03:45 PM
Pity Greene didn’t get a jumper over honeychurch.

Yep. Or Lipinski. Or NMM. Or Roberts. Or Porter. Or Clay's jumper on a witches hat.

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Yep. Or Lipinski. Or NMM. Or Roberts. Or Porter. Or Clay's jumper on a witches hat.

Tell me more about this "Clay's jumper on a witches hat" idea. I'm intrigued. Oh and I'm just asking for a friend. Who's on the match committee.

bornadog
21-07-2018, 06:31 PM
7 talls playing, and Lippa emergency, I wonder if there is a late change with the rain expected.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2018, 07:20 PM
Tell me more about this "Clay's jumper on a witches hat" idea. I'm intrigued. Oh and I'm just asking for a friend. Who's on the match committee.

First, get a big witches hat, and a firm fitting #14 jumper. We get a good runner, maybe Hunter, to carry the hat and place it around stoppages, facing the number on an angle to the oppositions best clearance player. Then when the opposition ruck gets an easy hit out to advantage to the best clearance player, if Lachie positions the hat right, they will raise their eyes to see #14 ready to hit them. From there they either shit themselves processing that Clay Smith might hit them, or they take a side step right into Lachie's path for a holding the ball causing a turnover for the team and a foray to move it poorly forward.

The witches hat can't kick straight or make the distance from 35m out, bug neither can Honeychurch. So on balance, I think your mate on the match committee might want to look at the merits of this for next week.

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 08:34 PM
First, get a big witches hat, and a firm fitting #14 jumper. We get a good runner, maybe Hunter, to carry the hat and place it around stoppages, facing the number on an angle to the oppositions best clearance player. Then when the opposition ruck gets an easy hit out to advantage to the best clearance player, if Lachie positions the hat right, they will raise their eyes to see #14 ready to hit them. From there they either shit themselves processing that Clay Smith might hit them, or they take a side step right into Lachie's path for a holding the ball causing a turnover for the team and a foray to move it poorly forward.

The witches hat can't kick straight or make the distance from 35m out, bug neither can Honeychurch. So on balance, I think your mate on the match committee might want to look at the merits of this for next week.

I'll pass on the info. As a matter of interest how big a witches hat are we talking? My witches hat bloke says he needs at least five days notice for anything bigger than four foot.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2018, 08:43 PM
I'll pass on the info. As a matter of interest how big a witches hat are we talking? My witches hat bloke says he needs at least five days notice for anything bigger than four foot.

Five days? Time to get a new witches hat bloke.

The Bulldogs Bite
21-07-2018, 11:14 PM
Honeychurch should seriously buy a lotto ticket.

Twodogs
22-07-2018, 01:34 AM
Five days? Time to get a new witches hat bloke.

Bevo really, really likes this witches hat bloke.

Mantis
22-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Honeychurch should seriously buy a lotto ticket.

As should Roarke Smith.

mjp
22-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Good to see Cordy in the backline, going forward hasn't worked.

Apart from that 3 goals in a grand final thing!

westdog54
22-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Apart from that 3 goals in a grand final thing!

If we're thinking about the same Grand Final Cordy only kicked one. He also kicked 2 the week before. Boyd, Picken and Dickson kicked 3 each.

Eastdog
22-07-2018, 04:00 PM
If we're thinking about the same Grand Final Cordy only kicked one. He also kicked 2 the week before. Boyd, Picken and Dickson kicked 3 each.

Cordy kicked our first goal of the Grand Final.

Happy Days
22-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Is there even a point to a Jordan Roughead set shot?

josie
22-07-2018, 05:27 PM
Seriously, how can Gowers and Roughy miss those set shots? It’s like they are actually trying to miss. Neither of them watched the ball make contact with their foot from what I could see. Please Bevo- hire a goal kicking coach!! Dickson come on down....

GVGjr
22-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Is there even a point to a Jordan Roughead set shot?

I'm not sure if you saw him a couple of weeks ago when we had the double header against the Hawks but he was very poor with two set shots in the space of about 10 minutes. The one from 30 mtrs out didn't make the distance

Happy Days
22-07-2018, 06:28 PM
I'm not sure if you saw him a couple of weeks ago when we had the double header against the Hawks but he was very poor with two set shots in the space of about 10 minutes. The one from 30 mtrs out didn't make the distance

I posted this in the wrong thread but now that I've mentioned it, it's something that he has been poor at since he got to the club and has only gotten worse. He can't cut it in the ruck anymore and his set shots make him unselectable as a forward - not like he's creating a stack of chances either.