PDA

View Full Version : Always Right Match Committee - Round 21, 2018 vs North Melbourne

Eastdog
09-06-2018, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the Always Right Match Committee Thread. This has been named after a long time WOOF member who tragically passed away in March 2018.

Always Right (https://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?17881-Vale-always-right)

If you were on the Western Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 21, 2018 match against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
04-08-2018, 10:23 PM
Bump

SlimPickens
05-08-2018, 09:54 AM
Out: Smith
In: Biggs

Two head traumas over a few weeks means Roarke misses.

GVGjr
05-08-2018, 10:18 AM
Out: Smith
In: Biggs

Two head traumas over a few weeks means Roarke misses.

I think this makes sense. Biggs has a last chance in the balance of the season to reestablish himself. North might load up with tall forwards which might be worth considering.
Im still very unsure of the value in what the MC sees in Smith but they do seem committed to him.

SlimPickens
05-08-2018, 10:27 AM
I think this makes sense. Biggs has a last chance in the balance of the season to reestablish himself. North might load up with tall forwards which might be worth considering.
Im still very unsure of *the value in what the MC sees in Smith but they do seem committed to him.

I’d consider giving Richards a rest but the cupboard is bare.

GVGjr
05-08-2018, 10:33 AM
I’d consider giving Richards a rest but the cupboard is bare.

Its a fine line isnt it? We should be giving him a rest but are more likely to hope he can somehow get though the last few rounds
There will be quite a few young players who will need a long rest at the end of the season.

DOG GOD
05-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Im still very unsure of the value in what the MC sees in Smith but they do seem committed to him.

Yep it would not surprise me to see brown, Waite and daw all in the fwd 50

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-08-2018, 08:50 PM
Its a fine line isnt it? We should be giving him a rest but are more likely to hope he can somehow get though the last few rounds
There will be quite a few young players who will need a long rest at the end of the season.
Richards needs to return to his best position in defence. His game has been largely sacrificed in the past few weeks.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Biggs has done very little in the past two years to suggest he should be retained. Smith and Lynch are both a work in progress but appear to have more upside.

josie
06-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Would like to see Callum Porter get a game before year end. I thought he was very good in Saturday’s vfl match (albeit against weaker stand alone vfl side) and has been pretty consistent recently. Not sure of the three remaining matches which opponent has strongest midfield - perhaps that’s the game to give him a go. His tackles at vfl level stick and I think he is one if those players that really has a red hot go. So although not like for like i’ll Go for Porter for Smith if he is out due to concussion.

Also think Young’s form has been better than Adam's, and Young might be a bit of a swingman with recent stints forwards (and back where he has been intercepting ball well). Suppose it depends on whether we need another tall defender.

IMO Biggs has not shown much in vfl despite being named in best performed for a few weeks.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2018, 11:23 AM
No to Biggs. How many times does he have to stink it up before we ignore his VFL form in the last 3 weeks of the season?

If he's not contracted, Biggs should probably be delisted.

soupman
06-08-2018, 12:56 PM
No to Biggs. How many times does he have to stink it up before we ignore his VFL form in the last 3 weeks of the season?

I believe he will be delisted.

Greystache
06-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Agree he probably should be. You have to wonder what's happened to him in the past 2 years. Did he get his taste of success and that was enough for him? He's as symptomatic of our last 2 years as anyone.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Agree he probably should be. You have to wonder what's happened to him in the past 2 years. Did he get his taste of success and that was enough for him? He's as symptomatic of our last 2 years as anyone.

He was pretty important to our side in 2016 and was an effective foil to the likes of JJ and Boydy. That last quarter effort in the Grand Final was phenomenal and it's incredible to compare that piece of play to anything he has dished up since.

He's obviously a bit of a knockabout bloke going by his Instagram page. My view is that he's a guy who had to work hard to get on an AFL list (Sydney), had limited opportunities and looked unlikely to forge a career, came to us for next to nothing and struggled early before working hard to find his feet and play at his best in a euphoric Premiership.

He doesn't strike me to be intrinsically motivated like Wallis. Simply put, the taste of success was the pinnacle and enough.

To a degree I can understand it and it's a shame because he has ability, but he looks to have completely checked out so we need to cut him.

soupman
06-08-2018, 02:04 PM
I've been told that he wont be on the list next year. Not sure if it is club initiated or player initiated but apparently aside from the money and lifestyle aspect he doesn't really enjoy playing footy professionally and would prefer to play suburban fpoty with his mates.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-08-2018, 02:44 PM
I've been told that he wont be on the list next year. Not sure if it is club initiated or player initiated but apparently aside from the money and lifestyle aspect he doesn't really enjoy playing footy professionally and would prefer to play suburban fpoty with his mates.

If that's what he wants i say all the best and good luck to him. Did us proud. We all have different motivations. Luckily for us we have his position backed up in spades. I will never forget that piece of play in the 2016 final that led to the goal that very well could have sealed the flag.

Grantysghost
06-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Via Patrick Keane AFL :
Rd21 upcoming AFL milestones:
250 games - Dale Morris. (Oldest person in VFL/AFL history at the point of 250-game milestone).
Fletcher Roberts 50 also.

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2018, 08:19 PM
I’d really like for once to see the side unchanged even though Ed Richards looks weary. We have had such an unsettled year. Just for once, to have the same 22 would in itself be a bonus. But it’s probably unlikely Roarke will play in which case I’d like to see Lewis Young out there.

EasternWest
06-08-2018, 09:32 PM

Good on him if that's true. Hell always be a Bulldog hero and I wish him well.

But yeah sounds harsh but I would prefer not to see him in our senior side again.

Happy Days
07-08-2018, 12:56 AM
On Biggs - he's lost a considerable amount of muscle mass since even last season, which doesn't really indicate a guy doing all he can to keep his career going at the top level.

ReLoad
07-08-2018, 09:07 AM
On Biggs - he's lost a considerable amount of muscle mass since even last season, which doesn't really indicate a guy doing all he can to keep his career going at the top level.

I think there is a fair bit of “I’ve climbed the highest mountain there is, I don’t need to climb anymore” about a few players on our list.

GVGjr
07-08-2018, 09:48 AM
I think there is a fair bit of “I’ve climbed the highest mountain there is, I don’t need to climb anymore” about a few players on our list.

If that is the case you have to wonder why we weren't more aggressive with our list changes last year.
I'm all for giving players with the right attitude a fair chance but I do think the coaches should be able to work out if players are just going through the motions or not.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2018, 09:50 AM
If that is the case you have to wonder why we weren't more aggressive with our list changes last year.
I'm all for giving players with the right attitude a fair chance but I do think the coaches should be able to work out if players are just going through the motions or not.

Who did we re-sign last year? Or another way to ask the question, who could we have actually gotten rid off without having to break their contract?

Mofra
07-08-2018, 10:22 AM
BF rumour floating around that Carlton are interested.

I can understand if he wants to go back to suburban footy, he'd get paid a fair bit coming straight from the AFL system and there is 1% of the pressure and a lot more fun. More players are walking away from it, even a few VFL players have gone back to the local leagues for more $$$ and less pressure.

hujsh
07-08-2018, 01:46 PM
BF rumour floating around that Carlton are interested.

I can understand if he wants to go back to suburban footy, he'd get paid a fair bit coming straight from the AFL system and there is 1% of the pressure and a lot more fun. More players are walking away from it, even a few VFL players have gone back to the local leagues for more $$$ and less pressure.

So a suburban football level club at least.

Mofra
07-08-2018, 02:47 PM
So a suburban football level club at least.
At least he'll be under less pressure to perform

Happy Days
07-08-2018, 03:38 PM
At least he'll be under less pressure to perform

I've been positing to a Carlton mate all year that Biggs seems destined to play their next year.

His telling, depressing yet hilariously accurate response is just to name the guys they've actually been picking at half back.

merantau
07-08-2018, 03:50 PM
If Biggsie IS gone - well that's the way it goes. But, he will never be forgotten. His career highlight a 45 second manic blitz on the ball and his opponents that led to a vital goal at a vital time. Epic!

ReLoad
07-08-2018, 04:59 PM
If Biggsie IS gone - well that's the way it goes. But, he will never be forgotten. His career highlight a 45 second manic blitz on the ball and his opponents that led to a vital goal at a vital time. Epic!

The Wall of Biggs is just about as good as it gets for repeated effort, desire and sheer willpower.

Every time I see that passage of play I get goose bumps, between that and the Morris on buddy tackle are the greatest bulldog moments in my time. They will take some beating!

EasternWest
07-08-2018, 05:53 PM
The Wall of Biggs is just about as good as it gets for repeated effort, desire and sheer willpower.

Every time I see that passage of play I get goose bumps, between that and the Morris on buddy tackle are the greatest bulldog moments in my time. They will take some beating!

Hear hear.

bornadog
07-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Out Smith

In: Gowers

merantau
08-08-2018, 06:51 AM
The Great Wall of China is the only man made object that can be seen from the moon. But in the eyes of those who witnessed it "The Wall of Biggs" was bigger, greater and more impenetrable. In years to come parents will tell their offspring: "I saw The Wall of Biggs."

It was the most thrilling, pulsating passage of play in the match and Biggs was the lynchpin around which, for 45 seconds for those who were watching - transfixed by the unfolding drama - the whole world turned.

EasternWest
08-08-2018, 07:47 PM
The Great Wall of China is the only man made object that can be seen from the moon

Jake Stringer's derriere in Essendon white shorts begs to differ.

Rocket Science
09-08-2018, 07:29 PM
INS: Billy Gowers, Lewis Young, Mitch Honeychurch, Callum Porter, Tim English
OUTS: Roarke Smith (rested)

The good news: No mysterious/freak midweek injuries, English back in the saddle, forgotten man Lewy Young gets a tap, and we throw another debutant to the wolves.

The bad news: G'day Mitchy.

When the world ends in nuclear armageddon all that's going to be left are cockroaches and Mitch Honeychurch.

Testekill
09-08-2018, 07:42 PM
INS: Billy Gowers, Lewis Young, Mitch Honeychurch, Callum Porter, Tim English
OUTS: Roarke Smith (rested)

The good news: No mysterious/freak midweek injuries, English back in the saddle, forgotten man Lewy Young gets a tap, and we throw another debutant to the wolves.

The bad news: G'day Mitchy.

When the world ends in nuclear armageddon all that's going to be left are cockroaches and Mitch Honeychurch.

I don't think we have anyone else that we can have on the extended bench. We dug through the bottom of the barrel a month or two ago.

Go_Dogs
09-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Could we name a fan, who pays double the fine for naming a person who can't actually play for the privilege? Make some money and ensure genuine extended bench inclusions are warranted.

Twodogs
09-08-2018, 11:17 PM
Could we name a fan, who pays double the fine for naming a person who can't actually play for the privilege? Make some money and ensure genuine extended bench inclusions are warranted.

That bloke from Warnambool who's been to 1000+ games should get first go.

Happy Days
09-08-2018, 11:21 PM
Could we name a fan

Like what Carlton do with Sam Rowe?

Ghost Dog
10-08-2018, 02:28 AM
Mitch Honeychurch heard your negative vibes and is putting on his game face. About to go mini hulk. Smash! Watch this space.

Mantis
10-08-2018, 10:06 AM
Mitch Honeychurch heard your negative vibes and is putting on his game face. About to go mini hulk. Smash! Watch this space.

I feel for you if you actually believe this.

Axe Man
10-08-2018, 01:03 PM
With both Dickson and Gowers now back hopefully Richards can line up as named in the backline where he is better suited at this stage.

Do we need to bring Young in to help deal with the North talls in Brown, Waite and Wood? Daw also a possibility of being swung forward. Morris is probably suited to Ziebell (although could take Wood), leaving Cordy and Naughton to cover the talls.

Ghost Dog
10-08-2018, 02:22 PM
I feel for you if you actually believe this.

He will do all he can not to disappoint you all, I assure you. Playing for his career in this one.

Sedat
10-08-2018, 02:47 PM
If so, he goes with my absolute blessing - those multiple repeat defensive efforts before the Picko goal will live long in the memory.

Hope Porter gets a taste this week. Form warrants it and would be good to continue spreading the load around our midfield group.

bornadog
10-08-2018, 02:57 PM
He will do all he can not to disappoint you all, I assure you. Playing for his career in this one.
Dreamin ;)

hujsh
10-08-2018, 03:14 PM

When is he not?

Ghost Dog
10-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Dreamin ;)

Naysayers. Who picked St Kilda to win last week eh? Not me.
We are on a roll boys. And Mitch is going to set the leather on fire!

bornadog
10-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Out Smith

In: Gowers

Final team

Naysayers. Who picked St Kilda to win last week eh? Not me.
We are on a roll boys. And Mitch is going to set the leather on fire!

HC doesn't get a birth and doesn't deserve one.

Ghost Dog
10-08-2018, 06:05 PM
Final team

HC doesn't get a birth and doesn't deserve one.

Alright Mr Negativity. Go Mitch!

bornadog
10-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Alright Mr Negativity. Go Mitch!

Everyone knows I am an optimist but also a realist. :) Mitch Wallis will play well. :D

Full back
D Morris
A Naughton
E Richards

Half back
H Crozier
Z Cordy
J Johannisen

Centreline
L Hunter
J Macrae
P Lipinski

Half forward
B Gowers
J Schache
T McLean

Full forward
T Dickson
M Bontempelli
J Roughead

Followers
J Trengove
J Dunkley
M Wallis

Interchange
F Greene
C Daniel
L Jong

B Lynch

Emergencies
L Young
M Honeychurch
C Porter

T English

IN: Billy Gowers
OUT: Roarke Smith (rested)

The Underdog
10-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Jeez, Lynch is lucky. His last 2 weeks have been pretty awful.