View Full Version : AFL Round 20, 2018

Eastdog
09-06-2018, 11:02 PM
ROUND 20, 2018

Friday August 3

Richmond v Geelong, MCG (7.50pm)

Saturday August 4

Hawthorn v Essendon, MCG (1.45pm)

Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne, Gabba (2.10pm)

Adelaide v Port Adelaide, Adelaide Oval (4.35pm)

St Kilda v Western Bulldogs, Etihad Stadium (7.25pm)

Sydney Swans v Collingwood, SCG (7.25pm)

Sunday August 5

Carlton v GWS Giants, Etihad Stadium (1.10pm)

Melbourne v Gold Coast Suns, MCG (3.20pm)

West Coast Eagles v Fremantle, Perth Stadium (4.40pm)

Eastdog
03-08-2018, 09:45 PM
Bump

GVGjr
04-08-2018, 03:05 AM
Very envious on how Richmind have backed up a successful season.
Cracking contest last night

DOG GOD
04-08-2018, 10:29 AM
Even better that cats lose a close one...fingers crossed Selwood, danger and Ablett miss out on finals.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Geelong fans will be livid if that happens. I think we're all a bit jealous of their situation, having those three.

Sedat
04-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Cats might miss the 8 because of Harry Taylor, in a year when they have as good a chance as anyone to make the GF.

Stick that in your sock and eat it.

DOG GOD
04-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Nothing would seethe me more than Ablett returning to Geelong to play finals and god help me, winning a premiership. Other than GWS, Geelong is the team I do not want to see there.

The Underdog
04-08-2018, 04:41 PM
I’m more of a Jarman Impey fan than ever now.

Rocket Science
04-08-2018, 04:48 PM
Taking in some of Dorks v Bumbers and you can't help but think 'jeez, how far off it are we?'

In other news Jake Stringer has the silhouette of a meatball.

The Underdog
04-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Taking in some of Dorks v Bumbers and you can't help but think 'jeez, how far off it are we?'

He’s played well but he can still go and get *!*!*!*!ed.

Great game. Hope the Hawks get up.
Man, Stratton is a ripping player.

comrade
04-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Great result at the 'G. Tuned in to the last quarter to see a quintessential Joe the Goose for Stringer. Never change, mate.

The Underdog
04-08-2018, 05:51 PM
I didn’t think I’d be jealous if the Lions at this point but jeez, they’ve got some ticker. A Cam Rayner dodgy shot at goal away from another win.

ledge
04-08-2018, 06:00 PM
And it looks like Essendon won't even make finals, great call from Hird earlier in the week, the God of Essendon still has that arrogance in spades. Delusional.

ledge
04-08-2018, 06:02 PM
I didn’t think I’d be jealous if the Lions at this point but jeez, they’ve got some ticker. A Cam Rayner dodgy shot at goal away from another win.

They have a lot of talent and as much as they lost today I see it as a positive for them becoming a very tight team.
Next season watch out

EasternWest
04-08-2018, 07:43 PM

I just mentioned this in the following our ex's thread. Those white shorts are... Not flattering.

macca
05-08-2018, 02:37 AM
what a great weekend of footy. some close games for a change.

Hawks butchered so many opportunities in the last quarter and almost lost that one. Astonishing they are in the top 4 now. Aaron Francis is a spud, lost his opponent twice in the last quarter and cost them 2 goals which killed their momentum. James Worpel looks to be a player, and they managed to pick him up in last year draft with pick 45. Stratton is a gun. Yes String does look fat, and ineffective after half time.

Port are stumbling and dropping close games like these are killing their top 4 aspiration. Jack Watts is the softest player ever.

Sydney winning pushes Geelong out of the 8. Harry Taylor may have played his last game! I am hoping Geelong miss the 8. Then show the AFL you can't even engineer drafting and trading so Geelong can get their way.

Did not see the Brisbane vs North game, but gee Brisbane are rising, they got close

ledge
05-08-2018, 04:27 AM
I see the VFL game they trialled the new rules was a blow out, knee jerk reaction, no matter how you change the rules sides will still smash other sides.
Leave the game alone just get rid of this nominating in the ruck rubbish , don't create more rules take some away , it's getting too hard to umpire.

Flamethrower
05-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Rather embarrassing effort from the Blues today - Giants had no fit players on the bench after half time, and played most of the last quarter with only 16 on the field as they rested 2 further players at a time - and still outscored the Blues 7 goals to 1 to win by 105 points.

Dry Rot
05-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Rather embarrassing effort from the Blues today - Giants had no fit players on the bench after half time, and played most of the last quarter with only 16 on the field as they rested 2 further players at a time - and still outscored the Blues 7 goals to 1 to win by 105 points.

But looking at the score in the Melbourne game, who is worse, Carlton or the Suns?

comrade
05-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Angling for that priority pick.

Happy Days
05-08-2018, 07:28 PM
I think it's important for everyone to remember that Andrew Gaff is a ball player, not a dirty player and a ripping bloke.

ledge
05-08-2018, 08:05 PM
I think it's important for everyone to remember that Andrew Gaff is a ball player, not a dirty player and a ripping bloke.

The defence case is already being written by the commentators as we speak.

westdog54
05-08-2018, 08:08 PM

Just watched a video.

FMD that is horrendous. Tack an extra week onto Jeremy Cameron's suspension.

jeemak
05-08-2018, 08:15 PM
Maybe charge him with assault.

We’ll continue to see violence of this nature until something is actually done about it. The AFL won’t take sufficient action via the tribunal.

ledge
05-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Just think maybe I should Change my comment below after that act.

Happy Days
05-08-2018, 08:26 PM
Maybe charge him with assault.

We’ll continue to see violence of this nature until something is actually done about it. The AFL won’t take sufficient action via the tribunal.

I've been kicking around a theory that the AFL should refer cases of certain severity straight to the cops (in addition to and MRO/tribunal sanction); one of the biggest barriers to overcoming "sporting consent" is the total unwillingness of players to report the guys who belt them, so it would eliminate any unfair sense of shame that someone might feel in pressing charges.

I'm not even sure it's a desirable outcome but it would definitely work towards stopping these horrific acts of violence and their normalisation.

westdog54
05-08-2018, 08:36 PM

I've been kicking around a theory that the AFL should refer cases of certain severity straight to the cops (in addition to and MRO/tribunal sanction); one of the biggest barriers to overcoming "sporting consent" is the total unwillingness of players to report the guys who belt them, so it would eliminate any unfair sense of shame that someone might feel in pressing charges.

I'm not even sure it's a desirable outcome but it would definitely work towards stopping these horrific acts of violence and their normalisation.

From a legal standpoint you'd still need the victim to actually pursue a complaint unless it meets the threshold of serious injury, which needs too either ee life threatening or substantial and protracted.

If Brayshaw's ears are still ringing in a few days then you'd consider it.

Twodogs
05-08-2018, 08:52 PM
From a legal standpoint you'd still need the victim to actually pursue a complaint unless it meets the threshold of serious injury, which needs too either ee life threatening or substantial and protracted.

If Brayshaw's ears are still ringing in a few days then you'd consider it.

The kid couldn't remove his mouthguard due to the trauma. You know that I'm not exactly a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" type guy but after that Gaff shouldn't be breathing free air.

BTW does the complaint have to come from the victim? Couldn't one of the 50 000 witnesses report a crime?

bornadog
05-08-2018, 09:02 PM
Just watched a video.

FMD that is horrendous. Tack an extra week onto Jeremy Cameron's suspension.
at least Cameron’s was somewhere near the ball

Mofra
05-08-2018, 09:15 PM
BTW does the complaint have to come from the victim? Couldn't one of the 50 000 witnesses report a crime?
They cheered him off, very poor from the crowd.

Someone has already said Gaff himself was in tears about the hit. Will be an interesting fall-out to say the least, but surely a guy who belts a first year player off the ball and puts him in hospital (potentially out for the rest of the season) gets a huge penalty.

westdog54
05-08-2018, 09:19 PM
The kid couldn't remove his mouthguard due to the trauma. You know that I'm not exactly a "lock 'em up and throw away the key" type guy but after that Gaff shouldn't be breathing free air.

Report, yes. But a prosecution isn't going anywhere without the victim's participation.

The Underdog
05-08-2018, 09:29 PM
It’s tough to understand how Gaff could do something like that 3 weeks out from finals and going into free agency. I’d be astounded if he gets away with less than 6 weeks. Stupid, selfish and tough to comprehend.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2018, 09:30 PM
I'd make the report to the police if I was him. There's weak as piss acts, and then there's c*** acts deserving of police involvement. Having your teeth knocked out isn't within the bounds of consent or self defence of AFL.

Then the Eagles fans who booed Adam Goodes, now the same ones cheering him off... your mindless *!*!*!*!wits.

The AFEL apparently want to stop parents sending their kids to soccer and not Aussie rules, then use your powers to make an example of this behaviour. This is bygone era violence that belongs in a bygone era, but if they sit quietly on the sidelines than they can shut the *!*!*!*! up about participation rates of kids skyrocketing in soccer.

ledge
05-08-2018, 09:46 PM
And now gaff goes back to the club and will have to confront Brayshaws brother ( who plays at Eagles ) and tell him what he did . Puts the poor younger brother in an awkward situation.
Eagles fans astounding that they applauded him.
Eagles players obviously knew gaff was in big trouble the way they got around him after his goal.
Can't believe Simpson didn't get him off the ground ASAP after the incident, the freo team was a Monty to get him back somehow and they did.
Gaff will wear this one in footy thuggery outlaw acts for the rest of time.
The interviews afterwards tells you he is already in defence mode, not sure anything he does will excuse the act.

The bulldog tragician
05-08-2018, 11:20 PM
I am NOT astounded at the Eagles cheering him as they have demonstrated themselves to be morons time and again.

westdog54
06-08-2018, 05:27 PM

The latest indicates that Brayshaw won't be eating solids for a month after surgery.

That changes the legal situation significantly.

In saying that, given the offence occurred in WA I cant speak to what their criminal code says.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2018, 05:54 PM
The latest indicates that Brayshaw won't be eating solids for a month after surgery.

That changes the legal situation significantly.

In saying that, given the offence occurred in WA I cant speak to what their criminal code says.

Gil should personally walk Brayshaw into his local police station to make a report. No doubt about that kind of statement from both of them. He should front a Magistrate in my opinion, not just a tribunal with those injuries. If that happened in the crowd, that's what would happen.

Twodogs
06-08-2018, 08:30 PM
I wonder why Gaff did it? Had there been some previous trouble or was Brayshaw going with a particularly hard tag job on Gaff. I wasn't watching the game so I haven't any context.

Ozza
06-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Gil should personally walk Brayshaw into his local police station to make a report. No doubt about that kind of statement from both of them. He should front a Magistrate in my opinion, not just a tribunal with those injuries. If that happened in the crowd, that's what would happen.

But it didn’t happen in the crowd, it happened on the field.

I know that it shouldn’t happen regardless, but I think when you walk onto a footy field, you accept some things that are either not acceptable or are different to what should or could happen on the street. It is a combative and aggressive environment, and it is a hell of a slippery slope if police are getting involved in incidents that happen on a professional football field.

Happy Days
07-08-2018, 12:38 AM
But it didn’t happen in the crowd, it happened on the field.

I know that it shouldn’t happen regardless, but I think when you walk onto a footy field, you accept some things that are either not acceptable or are different to what should or could happen on the street. It is a combative and aggressive environment, and it is a hell of a slippery slope if police are getting involved in incidents that happen on a professional football field.

It's a pretty messed up area of law - hasn't really been analysed too deeply in Australia and English law has come to a settled position of targeting actions which are "sufficiently grave as to attract criminal sanction" which, well, of course should be prosecuted. But on the other hand there's clearly scope for criminal prosecutions to be sought for on-field actions; there's a clear demarcation between what is acceptable and foreseeable in a sporting contest and what Gaff did that will preclude any "slippery slope" from forming, as evidenced by the reaction and this conversation we're having right now.

What I'm trying to say is that the scope to pursue acts has been shown to be possible by heeding to "sporting consent", a concept that too has been proven capable of being enshrined in law. What it takes is actually punishing offenders that step beyond sporting consent, rather than allowing them to hide behind it.

I think there's an inherent tendency to forgive these actions because they're situations that many of us, as former amateur sportspeople, readily see ourselves in, which is really unfortunate because it all too easily forgives reprehensible behaviour that really should attract harsher punishment that the AFL can allow for.