PDA

View Full Version : Silver lining - a good year for debutantes?

LostDoggy
19-06-2018, 04:18 PM
So far this year, we've debuted 6 new players; Aaron Naughton, Ed Richards, Jackson Trengove, Billy Gowers, Hayden Crozier and Josh Schache. Possibly there may be a couple more yet to come.

I think we'll look back on this as a pretty good crop. Naughton and Richards look destined to be really high quality and all of the older recruits have indicated that they have something to offer. I can see at least a couple of them having long term careers with the club.

We may just look back on the 2017 trade/draft period as a really positive one for the club.

It got me thinking about our debutante history season on season. Was quite interesting to review the records.

If you apply an arbitary mark of 4 100 game+ players and a 750 game+ total to qualify as a bumper year of debutantes, we've achieved this mark 5 times in our history;

1951 - 10 players, 763 games total, 4 100 gamers; Ted Whitten, Arthur Edwards, Peter Box, Jim Gallagher.
1958 - 14 players, 785 games, 4 100 gamers; John Schultz, John Jillard, John Hoiles, Graham Ion.
1969 - 14 players, 777 games, 4 100 gamers; Bernie Quinlan, Barry Round, Stephen Power, Gordon Case.
1983 - 16 players, 1100 games, 4 100 gamers; Peter Foster, Brian Royal, Andrew Purser, Stephen Wallis.
1994 - 10 players, 976 games, 4 100 gamers; Brad Johnson, Luke Darcy, Craig Ellis, Danny Southern.

What is noticeable about these years is that 2 of 5 we were in a GF within 3 years and 4 of 5 we were in a Prelim within 3 years.

It's early days but I can see the 2018 group being one of our better ones.

At least it's something to cling to.

Mofra
19-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Given English debuted last year and Lippi played one game too (both look to have something) that's a decent starting point, it's just disappointing that we are really back to square one already.

Eastdog
19-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Been really impressed with our youngsters this year. Interesting reading there PP - I'm hopeful in another few years we are up there challenging for the flag again.

GVGjr
19-06-2018, 07:16 PM
It's a good year for the younger guys drafted in the last 3 years. Plenty of opportunities and if you perform well you should even get an extended run.

It should serve us well in the seasons ahead

Go_Dogs
19-06-2018, 07:41 PM
Great stat.

I had to go back and have a look at 2000-2004 debutants because I was certain we'd have had 4 100+ game players debut in one of those years, but we just missed it in each of them!

ledge
20-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Wasn't the 1999 one huge ?

Twodogs
20-06-2018, 07:15 PM
Wasn't the 1999 one huge ?

It was. And we unloaded some club favourites (Montgomery, Powell and Cameron) for draft picks before it.

Traded out Monty and pick 28 for Nathan Eagleton
Traded out Leon Cameron for picks 37 (Hahn) and 66 (Hargrave)
Steven Powell for pick 35 (Wiggins)
Michael Martin for Trent Bartlett and pick 32. (Giansiricusa)

And then we went to the draft. Pick 13 got us Rob Murphy. Pick 32 got us Daniel Giansiricusa. 35 got us Patrick Wiggins. 37 got us Mitch Hahn. 43 got us Lindsee Gilbee. 58 got us Paddy Bowden. 66 got us Ryan Hargrave. A pretty good haul.

So we had 13, 28, 43 and 58 from our ladder position and picked Murphy, gave 28 away in the Eagleton trade, Gilbee and Bowden. We acquired picks 32, 35, 37 and 66 in trading out Cameron, Martin, Powell trades got us Gia, Hahn, Wiggins and Hargrave in return

It would be interesting to see how many games the players went on to play as against how many the players picked with traded in picks played. I think Leon played a fair few games for Richmond, Martin struggled but Powell won B&F at Melbourne I think and played with St Kilda too. But Gia played 200+, Hahn 180 and Hargrave played 200 games too I think. Paddy Wiggins not so many.

I remember thinking that we gave Leon Cameron away a bit cheaply but ultimately got Hahn and Hargrave for him, Michael Martin for Daniel Giansiricusa and Steven Powell for Patrick Wiggins.

1eyedog
20-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Given English debuted last year and Lippi played one game too (both look to have something) that's a decent starting point, it's just disappointing that we are really back to square one already.

Well at least we are and we know it and it looks like we've sowed excellent crops. The worst thing we could have done is gone poorly in the draft and done a Carlton / Essendon / Richmond and spent 10 years working out what a rebuild actually is.

Eastdog
20-06-2018, 08:08 PM
It was. And we unloaded some club favourites (Montgomery, Powell and Cameron) for draft picks before it.

And then we went to the draft. Pick 13 got us Rob Murphy. Pick 32 got us Daniel Giansiricusa. 35 got us Patrick Wiggins. 37 got us Mitch Hahn. 43 got us Lindsee Gilbee. 58 got us Paddy Bowden. 66 got us Ryan Hargrave. A pretty good haul.

Mitch Hahn. He was a decent player. Was quite good for us. Didn't go too many matches back then like I do now.

westdog54
21-06-2018, 09:15 AM

So we had 13, 28, 43 and 58 from our ladder position and picked Murphy, gave 28 away in the Eagleton trade, Gilbee and Bowden. We acquired picks 32, 35, 37 and 66 in trading out Cameron, Martin, Powell trades got us Gia, Hahn, Wiggins and Hargrave in return

It would be interesting to see how many games the players went on to play as against how many the players picked with traded in picks played. I think Leon played a fair few games for Richmond, Martin struggled but Powell won B&F at Melbourne I think and played with St Kilda too. But Gia played 200+, Hahn 180 and Hargrave played 200 games too I think. Paddy Wiggins not so many.

I remember thinking that we gave Leon Cameron away a bit cheaply but ultimately got Hahn and Hargrave for him, Michael Martin for Daniel Giansiricusa and Steven Powell for Patrick Wiggins.

Just because you asked so nicely:

Port used pick 28 on Brent Guerra, who played 65 games for them before being traded. Monty played 126 for them before returning. Eagleton played 221 games for us. We win that one by 30 matches.

Leon Cameron played 84 matches for Richmond. Hahn and Hargrave combined for 384. I think a +300 differential is a pretty comfortable win.

Powell went on to play 44 games for Melbourne before moving to StKilda. We squeezed 12 out of Wiggins. I'll concede that one.

Michael Martin played four games for Brisbane. Bartlett played 19 for us. Even without Giansiracusa's 265 games we win that one.

In all, the players/picks we traded out combined for 551 games, the players/picks traded in combined for 1469 games.

When you consider that illustrious names like Aaron Fiora, Damian Cupido, Leigh Brown, Caydn Beetham, Danny Roach and Paul Koulouriotis were all gone before our first selection, I think we can be content with our efforts.