PDA

View Full Version : Serious Question: Are the selectors drunk? :-)

mjp
22-06-2018, 01:14 PM
I have been thinking about our selections for a solid 12 hours now and am no closer to an explanation.

Last week, we played (nominally) 7 defenders.

This week, we have "lost":

1x running defender: Biggs
1x medium defender: Wood
1x midfielder: Macrae
1x unclear: Webb

We have chosen to include:
2x (genuine) key defenders: Adams and Naughton
1x (has played his career as a) key defender: Morris
1x mid who plays for some reason as a forward: Dunkley

North have ONE (1) key forward - Brown.

I have read all of the updates on the match committee thread and I still can't make sense of it.

So...can anyone tell me what is actually going on, how we are going to get the ball and how we propose to score?

Who said it was impossible to TANK in the AFL competition??

Mofra
22-06-2018, 01:24 PM
Looking for sense in our MC selections = recipe for insanity.

Adams may well go forward given he's played about two quarters of AFL football there in the past which is more than half our list.

Perhaps Trengove can go forward and/or play ruck.

I suspect if we had any half-fit AFL capable mid ready they would have been selected. We could well see Morris in the ruck for all the weird positional changes that have occurred this year.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 01:28 PM
The current status

Adams, Marcus
Playing

Bontempelli, Marcus
Playing

Boyd, Thomas
Playing

Cordy, Zaine
Playing

Crozier, Hayden
Playing

Dahlhaus, Luke
Playing

Daniel, Caleb
Playing

Dunkley, Josh
Playing

Gowers, Billy
Playing

Honeychurch, Mitch
Playing

Hunter, Lachlan
Playing

Johannisen, Jason
Playing

Lipinski, Patrick
Playing

McLean, Toby
Playing

Morris, Dale
Playing

Naughton, Aaron
Playing

Richards, Ed
Playing

Schache, Josh
Playing

Smith, Roarke
Playing

Trengove, Jackson
Playing

Wallis, Mitchell
Playing

Williams, Bailey
Playing

Biggs, Shane
VFL

Campbell, Tom
VFL

Collins, Kieran
VFL

Greene, Fergus
VFL

Jong, Lin
VFL

Lynch, Bradley
VFL

Mullenger-McHugh, Nathan
VFL

Porter, Callum
VFL

Roberts, Fletcher
VFL

Roughead, Jordan
VFL

Young, Lewis
VFL

Dale, Bailey
Injured

Dickson, Tory
Injured

English, Timothy
Injured

Liberatore, Thomas
Injured

Macrae, Jackson
Injured

Picken, Liam
Injured

Redpath, Jack
Injured

Smith, Clay
Injured

Suckling, Matthew
Injured

Webb, Lukas
Injured

Wood, Easton
Injured

Of the available players who should be playing instead of selected team?

bornadog
22-06-2018, 01:31 PM
Biggs, Shane
VFL
Maybe unlucky to be dropped

Campbell, Tom
VFL
Only if Boyd was dropped

Collins, Kieran
VFL
Not ready

Greene, Fergus
VFL
Maybe

Jong, Lin
VFL
Maybe

Lynch, Bradley
VFL
Not ready

Mullenger-McHugh, Nathan
VFL
Not ready

Porter, Callum
VFL
Not ready

Roberts, Fletcher
VFL
Only if other defender dropped

Roughead, Jordan
VFL
Only if Boyd was dropped

Young, Lewis
VFL
Only if other defender dropped

The cupboard is bare

Mofra
22-06-2018, 01:38 PM
^ BAD I seriously would have given Greene a shot this week.
It's not like we have a functioning forwardline, he's hit the scoreboard in recent weeks and we should be playing with a view to list management at the end of the season. If he shows something - anything - at AFL level he's a definite keep as we'll be cutting heavily this year.

I would have given Campbell a game by now too; risking a banged-up-finger forward cum ruckman Boyd and holding onto Campbell for two years with no actual intention of playing him is pretty poor list management.

I note we have Lynch listed as an emergency - to me that is just as mystifying given we have so many defenders the last thing we need is another one if one of our listed players doesn't come up.

jeemak
22-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Jong being the only player capable of midfield time in the list of players playing VFL. He was reported as playing well last week by Bulldogs media, though WOOF watchers didn't think he was effective and seemingly neither did the coaching team.

Rocket Science
22-06-2018, 02:04 PM
Every time we're forced to countenance whether an Adams/Naughton/Roberts/Trengove/Richards/Johannisen/Cordy/insert other non-forward of your choosing can successfully go forward a puppy dies.

"Gee XXX has looked ok lately, quick let's transplant him into another area of the field we've been getting smashed in"

Granted injuries have cruelled us but they've also shone a glaring spotlight on the fact that our remedy to being so utterly bereft of competent forwards is auditioning a merry-go-round of defenders (and mids) who don't often have a mortgage on their 'natural' positions let alone being a magic wand for our feckless 'attack' ... never mind the constant disruption of not allowing blokes to settle anywhere, nor their teammates around them.

You wonder if there's a weekly drawing of straws now to determine whose turn it is to do their time in our forward arc.

Rather than an off-season list prune we might like to consider a scorched earth policy.

Mantis
22-06-2018, 02:26 PM
I think they have to be.

Flogging a dead horse, and the effect on our performance might be minimal, but surely Jong is a better an option than Smith & HC?

Anyway looking forward to watching our team run around like headless chooks once again.

Remi Moses
22-06-2018, 02:31 PM
Shows how lopsided our list is
You don’t need 7 key backs in this era

Greystache
22-06-2018, 02:48 PM
You think you're confused now wait until game day when none of these key defenders play as key defenders and we have Bailey Williams and Ed Richards playing deep in defence, while Naughton and Adams play deep forward, Trengove plays high forward, Boyd and Dunkley ruck, Morris plays small, and Cordy plays as a rebounding defender.

We could be the most versatile team to be beaten by 10+ goals this round!

Flamethrower
22-06-2018, 03:05 PM
Maybe the plan is to triple team Sideshow Bob? I can't wait to see Caleb Daniel line up at full forward next to Majak Daw - little Caleb could hide behind one of Majak's biceps.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 03:14 PM
^ BAD I seriously would have given Greene a shot this week.

The maybe's I had were the ones that should have been considered.

Eastdog
22-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Shows how lopsided our list is
You don’t need 7 key backs in this era

We need some mid sized forwards. We dont need that many talls with hoe the game is played right now. A tall forward was important previously but I think not as much now.

We need do better in the ruck area as well. Would be good from now to the end of the year to see what Tom Campbell can offer there.

I think up forward Josh Schache while its slow will be decent up there as I seen a few times so I'm hoping he is able to do more of it but needs good midfield delivery and right now our midfield looks fragile particularly with Jack Macrae out this week.

Our goalkicking is woeful and there is no sweeping it under the carpet at training it must be a priority.

Axe Man
22-06-2018, 04:25 PM
We need some mid sized forwards. We dont need that many talls with hoe the game is played right now. A tall forward was important previously but I think not as much now.

Will you break it to Ben Brown, Jeremy Cameron, Jesse Hogan, Buddy Franklin, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy, Tom Lynch, etc that they are all wasting their time and should just retire, or should I?

I think up forward Josh Schache while its slow will be decent up there as I seen a few times so I'm hoping he is able to do more of it but needs good midfield delivery and right now our midfield looks fragile particularly with Jack Macrae out this week.

I have re-read this a few times and still have no idea what you are trying to say.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 04:43 PM
I have re-read this a few times and still have no idea what you are trying to say.

Maybe he used Google Translate to convert from Macedonian. :D

1eyedog
22-06-2018, 04:59 PM
We're like some Mother incubating like players as a breeding ground for other teams.

There's not much fat on the bone given our injuries. If we we were going to play a glut of key players I would have just brought in Campbell and Jong and played Boyd deep and Schache across half forward.

Eastdog
22-06-2018, 05:04 PM
Will you break it to Ben Brown, Jeremy Cameron, Jesse Hogan, Buddy Franklin, Jack Riewoldt, Josh Kennedy, Tom Lynch, etc that they are all wasting their time and should just retire, or should I?

Schache has given us some presence up forward in the games his played I think but that relies on our forward delieveey being good which it hasn't but under those circumstances he has done ok.

Eastdog
22-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Maybe he used Google Translate to convert from Macedonian. :D

No I'm certainly not fluent in Macedonian :) but can understand when my grandma speaks but not every single word.

1eyedog
22-06-2018, 05:11 PM
I just don't like the fact that we either get torched in the middle by Goldy feeding his mids or having to play against the grain and negatively by sharking and / or applying midfield pressure, something we haven't done for many, many weeks. I'm not comfortable with either scenario but I'm not comfortable with a lot of things atm.

Mofra
22-06-2018, 05:23 PM
I just don't like the fact that we either get torched in the middle by Goldy feeding his mids or having to play against the grain and negatively by sharking and / or applying midfield pressure, something we haven't done for many, many weeks. I'm not comfortable with either scenario but I'm not comfortable with a lot of things atm.
If there is one player I think is great at anticipating where the ball will be in congestion, it's Macrae. Amazing at finding it so without him and the inevitable smashing in the ruck I am really worried about this one.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 05:23 PM
When you look at the starting line up, it looks ok on balance:

Full back
B Williams
J Trengove
E Richards

Half back
D Morris
Z Cordy
J Johannisen

Centreline
H Crozier
M Bontempelli
L Hunter

Half forward
C Daniel
J Schache
M Wallis

Full forward
L Dahlhaus
B Gowers
P Lipinski

Followers
T Boyd
T McLean
J Dunkley

but the interchange bench of Honeychurch, Adams, Naughton and Smith is a bit top heavy. I would have left out Naughton and brought in Greene or Jong.
Adams can play either end and Trengove can also play either end, plus do some ruck work.

Gowers is not a Full forward, Smith, Honeychurch and Daniel also lucky to be playing.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-06-2018, 05:30 PM
I think at this point I would rather play Campbell as a small forward rather than Honeychurch.

mjp
22-06-2018, 06:29 PM
When you look at the starting line up, it looks ok on balance...

BAD - You know it doesn't look OK.
Adams can play either end? Well, he was drafted as a mature age, key defender. And when he has been effective at AFL level, that is what he has done. Trengove is a defender who played OK at PA during HALF A SEASON when forced to play in the ruck due to injuries. And he played well as a key back last week. Morris is really a key defender. Naughton is a key defender. Cordy is a key defender...

That makes FIVE. North are playing one key forward - Brown. So I guess if he gets a hold of us we are going to have options to throw at him.

I know we have injuries. I know - I've been watching. But why drop Biggs - I know he isn't a mid but he has at least (in the past) shown an ability to run with the footy? Why not select Jong - pretty sure he was in the centre square for the first bouncedown of the season...has he really fallen THAT far? And are they going that much worse than any number of others?

Rocket Science
22-06-2018, 06:38 PM
Maybe the plan is to triple team Sideshow Bob? I can't wait to see Caleb Daniel line up at full forward next to Majak Daw - little Caleb could hide behind one of Majak's biceps.

The number of times Caleb's been isolated down back this year in one-on-ones against opposition forwards does my head in. How are we permitting this?

Port even seemed to have a phase last week where they were deliberately going to whoever he was left to mark. And why wouldn't you?

bulldogtragic
22-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Cue in the rack. I'm sure the players notice this each week too.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 06:57 PM
BAD - You know it doesn't look OK.
Adams can play either end? Well, he was drafted as a mature age, key defender. And when he has been effective at AFL level, that is what he has done. Trengove is a defender who played OK at PA during HALF A SEASON when forced to play in the ruck due to injuries. And he played well as a key back last week. Morris is really a key defender. Naughton is a key defender. Cordy is a key defender...

That makes FIVE. North are playing one key forward - Brown. So I guess if he gets a hold of us we are going to have options to throw at him.

I know we have injuries. I know - I've been watching. But why drop Biggs - I know he isn't a mid but he has at least (in the past) shown an ability to run with the footy? Why not select Jong - pretty sure he was in the centre square for the first bouncedown of the season...has he really fallen THAT far? And are they going that much worse than any number of others?

I agree with you. I did say the starting line up without the interchange.

bornadog
22-06-2018, 07:00 PM
Instead of just firing pot shots, can a few posters say what they would have done for this week. I have made it easy for you showing who is available.

I know the selections are weird and any one coming in will not make much difference, but MJP started this thread to see what you would have done better.

pot shots are easy solutions are not

GVGjr
22-06-2018, 07:28 PM
Instead of just firing pot shots, can a few posters say what they would have done for this week. I have made it easy for you showing who is available.

I know the selections are weird and any one coming in will not make much difference, but MJP started this thread to see what you would have done better.

pot shots are easy solutions are not

And to provide a balanced view without blindly following the club or using injuries as an excuse could people also justify why they think the selectors have got it right?
Just following the selectors or being critical of one or two soft targets is the fairly easy option :)

GVGjr
22-06-2018, 07:37 PM
I don't think we have balanced the selections this week that well unless Boyd isn't playing and Trengove will be the ruck man supported by Schache

I thought Biggs deserved another week and we appear to have rushed back both Morris, Adams and Naughton. I would have considered giving Biggs the task of playing on Higgins
Are we wanting to go in with a smaller line-up in the forward line so that the Roos push Daw forward and then we have enough tall defenders to cover them.

Jong should have been selected and I think we could have rolled with Greene as well. I might have even been tempted to play Roberts as a forward

LostDoggy
22-06-2018, 09:07 PM
When you look at the starting line up, it looks ok on balance:

Full back

B Williams

J Trengove

E Richards

Half back

D Morris

Z Cordy

J Johannisen

Centreline

H Crozier

M Bontempelli

L Hunter

Half forward

C Daniel

J Schache

M Wallis

Full forward

L Dahlhaus

B Gowers

P Lipinski

Followers

T Boyd

T McLean

J Dunkley

but the interchange bench of Honeychurch, Adams, Naughton and Smith is a bit top heavy. I would have left out Naughton and brought in Greene or Jong.
Adams can play either end and Trengove can also play either end, plus do some ruck work.

Gowers is not a Full forward, Smith, Honeychurch and Daniel also lucky to be playing.

I wouldn't mind seeing us play Trengove as the main Ruck this week and try Boyd and Schache both forward for significant periods. Still not ideal but would balance it out a bit. Team selection for the rest of this year is really more about learning for the future now anyway.

jeemak
22-06-2018, 09:42 PM
I think a WOOF cleansing is required. No rules, open slather, he/she who stands wins...........

Or just lay off the defenciveness, and actually respond to the specific content of posts and replies and stop hammering the same point time and again because it suits your narrative. It's getting tiring from all sides.

Things are never as complex or simple as they seem, things are likewise polarised. Let's just tone it down.

SlimPickens
22-06-2018, 09:56 PM
If they’re drunk, at least Kingy will drive them home.

jeemak
22-06-2018, 10:04 PM
If they’re drunk, at least Kingy will drive them home.

Ouch.

SlimPickens
22-06-2018, 10:11 PM
Ouch.

You spelled “sharp” wrong!

GVGjr
22-06-2018, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing us play Trengove as the main Ruck this week and try Boyd and Schache both forward for significant periods. Still not ideal but would balance it out a bit. Team selection for the rest of this year is really more aboutlearning for the future now anyway.
I think that is a reasonable option. Not sure it will happen but worth considering

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-06-2018, 10:52 PM
And to provide a balanced view without blindly following the club or using injuries as an excuse could people also justify why they think the selectors have got it right?
Just following the selectors or being critical of one or two soft targets is the fairly easy option :)

Good thoughts here and from BAD. Given our poor attack I would like to see both Adams and Dunkley play forward. I still think Cordy is our best option to play on Brown. Wallis as a tag on Higgins who has had a dream run this year with little run with opposition. Never move JJ from half back. Crozier could be an option at half forward. Our lack of depth is a concern with Tom Boyd, R Smith Daniel Honeychurch and JJ all needing to play out of their skin. I also believe that Williams has the ability to give a lift by playing further up the field. Our weaknesses continue in the midfield and up forward.

soupman
23-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Iwould have brought Jong, Morris, Greene, Dunkley in for the same outs.

Biggs needed to be dropped. He has been terrible all yer and did not earn his recall.

We need to see if Greene can offer something at the level, amd he has some ok form at VFL to justify it.

Jong and Dunkley come in to help qith running power and to give our midfield some ball winners to replace Macrae.

Morria comes in but not really sure why. I probably prefer Naughton tbh but don't really have a role for either in mind.

Cannot believe the side we are going with. If there is one thing Beveridge has gone out of his way to avoid while at the helm is being an overly tall side. So this is baffling.

I think we will see Trengove play the key forward slash ruck role he played in JLT, the role o rexkon we stupidly sold tp him to come across for.

Adams will play forward, and they'll hope he and schaches relative mobility for their size wont make pur forwarldine too top heavy. Unfotunately if they play dunkley as an almost permanent forward as usual then it that just makes it worse.

This can and probably will get really ugly.

merantau
23-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Fact is: the cupboard is bare. But, I would be playing Jong and Campbell. Jong always gives his all. He has the ability to snag a goal. He may not be the most skilful but I don't recall him stuffing things up and gifting goals to the opposition.
The refusal to play Campbell is beyond understanding. I think it's time Tom Boyd got a decent run as a 80% permanent forward. Campbell is the best tap ruckman we've got. We should run with him to remove/confirm any doubts we have about him.

Remi Moses
23-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Biggs has been beyond terrible
Campbell deserves his chance , and I’d have given Jong a shot .
It says how terribly lopsided the list is .

Mofra
23-06-2018, 05:59 PM
I agree with a lot of the sentiments over the last page:

- I really would have given Greene a run, we lose nothing by giving him a chance

- I rate Naughton highly but he's an 18 year old 195cm KPP in his first season, rushing him back while we're top-heavy seems strange.

- Morris to go to Higgins when he plays forward. He's their best player (along with Cunnington). If he goes to a wing, the Badger to run with him.

- We need to sit on Cunnington, heavily. He's going to get the ball anyway but we need to try and affect the quality of his distribution. I would have been tempted to bring Jong in for this but Jong hasn't actually been able to play run with roles well in the past which is strange for such an amazing athlete. Perhaps a new role for Dunkley?

- Agree with the posters above re: Trengove rucking. Trengove probably wins no position on the ground he plays in but will bust his gut until the last second for his teammates.

- Under no circumstances do we play Daniel as a backman.

- Dahl to spend more time on the ground, less time on the wing. Our only chance at an upset is to get some semblance of the crowd involved and the best way to do that is having the Dahl of old scrounge a goal or two in his 150th.

- Hire someone to slap Beveridge if he even considers putting Gowers in the ruck. Yes he's a poor kick for goal but I'd rather someone who is only 50/50 from 30m in front having a shot than our mids kicking the ball blindly for Tarrant and Daw to continually mark. Gowers presents, that's very important.

Dry Rot
24-06-2018, 01:32 AM
Well, some one has to say it.

We almost pinched this game with this odd lot of selections.

Thought we looked better down back and up forward than most games this year.

mjp
24-06-2018, 01:40 AM
Well, some one has to say it.

We almost pinched this game with this odd lot of selections.

Thought we looked better down back and up forward than most games this year.

100%.

It almost felt like 2015/16 all over again...seemingly random changes - consistent good form.

AndrewP6
24-06-2018, 01:57 AM
100%.

It almost felt like 2015/16 all over again...seemingly random changes - consistent good form.

Radio commentators were saying that a lot.

josie
24-06-2018, 03:19 AM
Our marking around the ground was outta sight compared to 2017 and 2018. Credit to Bevo and MC. Love that Adams, Cordy, Naughton and Trengove can go forward or back. Cross fingers Moz can go around again in 2019 as he is a great leader.

soupman
24-06-2018, 10:17 AM
In 2015 and 2016 almost every bizarre decision Beveridge made came off. Since then nothing. Until last night. I don't know how it worked bit it did.

ledge
24-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Just shows even us armchair experts have no idea what's going on "inside the four walls"

westbulldog
24-06-2018, 11:07 AM
Our marking around the ground was outta sight compared to 2017 and 2018. Credit to Bevo and MC. Love that Adams, Cordy, Naughton and Trengove can go forward or back. Cross fingers Moz can go around again in 2019 as he is a great leader.

Make Dale Morris the Captain in 2019, most respected current player, no better leader of young men imo.

bornadog
24-06-2018, 04:56 PM
In 2015 and 2016 almost every bizarre decision Beveridge made came off. Since then nothing. Until last night. I don't know how it worked bit it did.

It worked because we had Morris, Adams, Trengove, Crozier and JJ in the backline - all experienced backman. If you look at the earlier rounds this year, it was a bunch of kids in the backline.

PS: I know Adams isnot that experienced in AFL, but he is a mature recruit and the best judge of a ball in the air since Lake. Took 12 marks last night - The Speciman.