PDA

View Full Version : Another year for Moz - Can a case be made?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-06-2018, 09:15 PM
I think most thought this season might be it for the great man, but I'm starting to think another year might be possible, maybe even beneficial for him and the team. Here's why I'm in the yes category.

1. Yes he's had some injury concerns, but they're hardly in the 'old man' category, no hammie's or achilles.

2. Despite the extremely interrupted season, his game on the weekend, showed he'd not missed a beat. His strengths are still clearly his strength; compete, negate, and defensive awareness, and selflessness. Clearly traits and skills that not only stiffen us up, but also set a great learning opportunity for guys like Naughton, Young, Adams and Collins.

3. I see in Naughton some parallels with Moz. He's a competitive beast and another year of working along side Moz could only be beneficial.

4. Finally, the fire still burns. It was apparent in his interview on Fox last week that his desire to play is as strong as ever. Notwithstanding his 'The Secret' twaddle, he came across as someone who doesn't want his career to fizzle out in a mediocre side. His desire to set the standards in order to climb the mountain once more is an intangible that our very young group could harness to help coalesce their mindset and application.

Disclosure: I think Dale Morris might very well be the greatest human being to have ever lived. This may cloud my judgment...only in regards to his footballing future.. his status as greatest person ever is beyond contention.

GVGjr
24-06-2018, 10:04 PM
There is a case to be made about keeping him but we might need someone like Roberts who is contracted being traded and probably Collins being moved to a rookie list.

He needs to string some more games together this year before we can really answer this. We saw the way Matthew Boyd dropped off in his last season mainly due to injuries so as great as he is we would be taking a risk with Morris.

Pickenitup
24-06-2018, 10:15 PM
It’s a Yes from me Moz is just crucial for our backline the way he helps younger players by just his sheer presence and he oozes leadership would have made a fantastic captain.

KT31
24-06-2018, 11:14 PM
I'm concerned he hasn't really been on the park for a year and a half, but that could also be a plus.
His influence, direction and leadership cannot be overstated, so see how his knee pulls up at the end of the season and if ok give him another season.

westbulldog
25-06-2018, 12:24 AM
Yes, without hesitation, and as Captain.

Eastdog
25-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Yeah I was in the camp this could be Dale's last year but his presence in the team particular for our young defence coming through is great to have.

Agree with KT31 if his knee holds up why not. I hope we can keep him around the club in some capacity in the future once he does retire.

One of the best ever tackles in our history in the GF.

AndrewP6
25-06-2018, 02:16 AM
Wait and see for mine.

angelopetraglia
25-06-2018, 08:59 AM
Yes. Give him a 5 year contract. Worth his weight in Gold :)

SonofScray
25-06-2018, 09:26 AM
He is priceless. Irreplaceable.

It'd be great if he could play on, but time and tide waits for no man. Fortunately, he is more machine than man these days so maybe?

LostDoggy
25-06-2018, 10:56 AM
In his recent Fox Footy appearance, Moz says he just wants to play as long as possible, when his time is up at the Dogs, he'll play VFL, and then go back to Doutta Stars. He is incredible. Because he is so smart, reads the play so well, competes like no-one else and provides such leadership, he can still be a valuable player even as his physical capabilities drop off. At this stage, I'd be thinking he's a keep.

bulldogtragic
25-06-2018, 11:13 AM
Wait until the last minute before deciding. Last year we had to effectively sack Cloke and pay him out. Let's how things are situated after the trade period, for the list, and to see how his body is post season. I think that's the safe course of action, not to mention what we do with Roberts &/or Collins, whether Adams can stay foot injury free for the next 8 games, and if Naughton may be a full forward (he looks like a very good one).

bornadog
25-06-2018, 12:14 PM
Wait until the last minute before deciding. Last year we had to effectively sack Cloke and pay him out. Let's how things are situated after the trade period, for the list, and to see how his body is post season. I think that's the safe course of action, not to mention what we do with Roberts &/or Collins, whether Adams can stay foot injury free for the next 8 games, and if Naughton may be a full forward (he looks like a very good one).

That would be my position as well. Love to see him play on if he can.

Mofra
25-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Yes - for what he brings off field as much as he brings on it.

He played finals with a fractured leg in 2009 and a fractured back in 2016. A kid walks into the club and is immediately confronted with just how much AFL football means to a teammate who does anything he can to help the club. That has to be a plus for the development of the draftees.

I think when people at the Demons talk about how much Cross brought to the club off field when he played there a couple of years, we have someone who can have the same training-track impact in Moz and given I think there will be heavy list turnover this year just having that character as part of the playing group will be huge for us.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
26-06-2018, 07:26 PM
I'm visualising him playing on

The bulldog tragician
26-06-2018, 09:17 PM
My blog about the Legend http://www.bulldogtragician.com/the-tragician-blog/when-the-flame-still-burns

westdog54
27-06-2018, 08:30 AM
The man has a superhuman capacity for fitness and injury recovery and his football smarts have not dimmed.

He stays as long as he's physically able to run out a match.

comrade
27-06-2018, 09:06 AM
Just his leadership and standards around training and recovering have huge value for a very green group. Even if he doesn’t play seniors all year, he’ll keep the other young defenders honest by breathing down their necks.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2018, 08:56 PM
Just his leadership and standards around training and recovering have huge value for a very green group. Even if he doesn’t play seniors all year, he’ll keep the other young defenders honest by breathing down their necks.

If he doesn't play afl at all, can't he do that as the VFL captain, or VFL playing assistant coach?

comrade
28-06-2018, 11:16 AM
If he doesn't play afl at all, can't he do that as the VFL captain, or VFL playing assistant coach?

He could, but then the other defenders aren’t at any risk of losing their spot to the old stager.

And given he’s a competitive beast, I can’t see him taking on a VFL spot. If he’s fit and able to play, it’ll be in the big league.

Once he’s done, he’s done. Just like Matty Boyd.

Twodogs
28-06-2018, 12:49 PM
He could, but then the other defenders aren’t at any risk of losing their spot to the old stager.

And given he’s a competitive beast, I can’t see him taking on a VFL spot. If he’s fit and able to play, it’ll be in the big league.

Once he’s done, he’s done. Just like Matty Boyd.

He said last week that when his body can't hold up to the rigours of AFL football he'd play for Footscray and when that isn't possible he will go back and play for Doutta Stars. It sounds like he can't imagine life without playing footy.

Rocket Science
28-06-2018, 02:44 PM
Maybe he'll do a Fletcher and hang on til he's forty. Disobedient knees aside he's clearly made of the same superhuman stuff.

We can't have enough of his influence around the joint.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-06-2018, 08:50 PM
Such a wonderful servant of the Club and arguably our best defender over the past 50 years. Given his spate of injuries in recent years would prefer that he retire at season’s end. I would love to see Morris be retained as an Assistant Coach together with luring Matthew Boyd back from Collingwood. There is little doubt that our MC needs a revamp and these two quality people would prove to be a great boost.

Doc26
29-06-2018, 07:01 PM
Absolutely yes.

kruder
30-06-2018, 01:26 AM
If he doesn't play he can stand out the front of the WO teaching the young backs while the bronze statue goes up. Absolute legend one of my all time fav bulldog players.

bornadog
30-06-2018, 01:29 AM
Fantastic again tonight - he so reliable.

Eastdog
30-06-2018, 01:33 AM
Dale Morris I'll say it again - Premiership Bulldog Legend

ratsmac
30-06-2018, 02:02 AM
If he has it in him then definitely yes. He has lost a bit a pace no doubt but as the game wears on and players get fatigued Moz back to level pegging. His professionalism is actually tangible and the young players can benefit greatly by his presence alone.

boydogs
30-06-2018, 02:28 AM
He has lost a bit a pace

It's noticeable but not sure how much is him still getting back to peak fitness after his injuries

G-Mo77
30-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Why is the title another year as in 1? He can't be broken, lock him in until he's 50 and then evaluate.

Go_Dogs
30-06-2018, 12:07 PM
Let’s wait and see, but if he gets through the balance of the year and still has the passion (which doesn’t appear to be in question) would be hard to not offer him another deal.

bulldogtragic
30-06-2018, 12:27 PM
Let’s wait and see, but if he gets through the balance of the year and still has the passion (which doesn’t appear to be in question) would be hard to not offer him another deal.

If he gets through the next 6 games, it takes him to 250 games. Another huge achievement for him, and for our rich history of rookies playing huge amounts of games.

westdog54
30-06-2018, 11:58 PM
If he gets through the next 6 games, it takes him to 250 games. Another huge achievement for him, and for our rich history of rookies playing huge amounts of games.

When you consider he started late AND missed a whole season of football plus a fair chunk of this year and last, that's an outstanding achievement.

Twodogs
01-07-2018, 12:38 AM
When you consider he started late AND missed a whole season of football plus a fair chunk of this year and last, that's an outstanding achievement.

He was 23 when he debuted I think. That's conceding a 4-5 season start on most draftees. The Bont will have played more than a hundred games +plenty games before he gets to Morris's age when he played his first game.

ratsmac
01-07-2018, 01:20 PM
He was on AFL game day this morning. If anyone missed it he strongly hinted that he is more than happy to keep on playing next year so long as the body holds up. That's good enough for me. Sign him up I say.

In comparison to Bob last year on deciding whether to go on, Bob was resigned in his mind that another preseason was too much whereas Moz would play 10 more years if he could.

bornadog
01-07-2018, 01:35 PM
He was on AFL game day this morning. If anyone missed it he strongly hinted that he is more than happy to keep on playing next year so long as the body holds up. That's good enough for me. Sign him up I say.

In comparison to Bob last year on deciding whether to go on, Bob was resigned in his mind that another preseason was too much whereas Moz would play 10 more years if he could.

I like the way Rocket said his three favourites at The Bulldogs when he was there was Noz, Boyd and Crossy.

Also surprised he keeps in touch with Aker, as well as his no processed carbs diet

Twodogs
01-07-2018, 01:44 PM
I like the way Rocket said his three favourites at The Bulldogs when he was there was Noz, Boyd and Crossy.

Also surprised he keeps in touch with Aker, as well as his no processed carbs diet

Do you mean Moz or Rocket still keeps in touch with Aker?

bornadog
01-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Do you mean Moz or Rocket still keeps in touch with Aker?

Moz does. Rocket asked Moz, do any other players keep in touch with him, but Moz didn't really answer.

Twodogs
02-07-2018, 01:22 AM
Moz does. Rocket asked Moz, do any other players keep in touch with him, but Moz didn't really answer.

I couldn't see Rocket being on a no processed carbs diet either.

Axe Man
02-07-2018, 11:31 AM
HEART AND SOUL BULLDOG WANTS TO PLAY ON (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-daily-live-rolling-footy-news-from-around-australia-for-monday-july-2-2018/news-story/3defc5cc4f43a776845a8fc556896f84)

By Sam Landsberger

WESTERN Bulldogs warrior Dale Morris has confirmed he wants to play on next season at the age of 36.

The Herald Sun revealed last month that the door was open for Morris to play on in 2019 as he returned from a partially torn ACL in just 100 days.

Morris, 35, yesterday said he had not considered retirement.

“I’ll keep going for as long as I can,” Morris said.

“As long as the body holds up and the mind … and so long as there’s a role for me, I’ll be there.”

The bionic Bulldog and premiership star returned from knee surgery after 11 days last week and Morris is on track to celebrate his 250th match in Round 21 against North Melbourne.

Coach Luke Beveridge said the return of hard men Morris and Marcus Adams had “made a huge difference” in the past two weeks.

“We haven’t had access to Picko (Liam Picken), to Clay (Smith), to Libba (Tom Liberatore), to Moz (Dale Morris) — the four combative, contested-type strong players that teammates feed off,” Beveridge said.

Morris is the third-oldest player on an AFL list, behind hamstrung Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne (36 in October) and Fremantle ruckman Aaron Sandilands (36 in December).

“I love the game too much. I just love playing, it’s the greatest job ever I reckon,” Morris said on Channel 7.

Mitch Wallis yesterday joined fellow free agent Luke Dahlhaus in declaring he wants to stay at Whitten Oval next year.

Beveridge has publicly challenged his free agents to “play out of their skin” in order to command healthy contracts.

Dahlhaus — who is chasing a four or five-year contract — played his best game for the season on Friday night as a defensive forward on Geelong’s Zach Tuohy.

Beveridge said it was “a really, really big night” for Dahlhaus.

Mofra
02-07-2018, 03:40 PM
As noted earlier in the thread, I'm heavily in the "yes" camp for Morris playing on. The fire still clearly burns and there is probably no player in the competition who does more to get themselves right for gameday.

Testekill
02-07-2018, 03:45 PM
You can't overstate just how important Morris is as a leader and how important he is in defense. I'd love to transition him into a playing assistant coach role as he has so much that he can teach kids.

Eastdog
02-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Will be a huge turnout for his 250th game I would imagine. Was great to see Bob in his 300th game - wish Bob played in the premiership but such a great touch to let him hold the cup on GF day at the G and at WO the next day. Some images will never forget. I have the Hearld Suk papers from those PF and GF weekends.

bornadog
02-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Watch Moz on CH7 Game day here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-07-02/bevos-brief-members-message-rd15?camefrom=EMCL_2365052_104213440)

azabob
04-07-2018, 10:54 PM
Will be a huge turnout for his 250th game I would imagine. Was great to see Bob in his 300th game - wish Bob played in the premiership but such a great touch to let him hold the cup on GF day at the G and at WO the next day. Some images will never forget. I have the Hearld Suk papers from those PF and GF weekends.

Herald suk is right.

GVGjr
26-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Given that we really didn't really try and address key position defenders during the draft or trade periods and also losing Adams and delisting Collinsin the process I can see that we will be asking Morris to play tall for much of next season. Not only do we need him around the younger players from a leadership perspective but he will certaintly be required to man up against some of the competitions bigger names.

The likes of Khamis, Vandermeer and both Lewis and Lachlan Young will all benefit by having Moz around the club

boydogs
26-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Given that we really didn't really try and address key position defenders during the draft or trade periods and also losing Adams and delisting Collinsin the process I can see that we will be asking Morris to play tall for much of next season. Not only do we need him around the younger players from a leadership perspective but he will certaintly be required to man up against some of the competitions bigger names.

The likes of Khamis, Vandermeer and both Lewis and Lachlan Young will all benefit by having Moz around the club

The game has gone past immobile man mountains. Khamis & Wood are better KPD's than Collins & Roberts. English as #1 ruck will allow Trengove to play back and Young should be further progressed in 2019

westbulldog
27-12-2018, 02:13 PM
When anyone says Dale Morris "can't" , he will. When anyone writes Dale Morris off he will write himself back in. He is a champion of the game and of our Club.

dukedog
27-12-2018, 10:16 PM
If Morris isn't a walk up start of fit. In any game next year . We will be flying!

S Coast Simon
06-01-2019, 05:05 PM
True if he is struggling for a game that will be great (sadly) for the team though they will be flying

merantau
07-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Dale Morris is never beaten. There are so many unspectacular, yet crucial, things he does during a game and, considered as a whole, they double the value of a 10 possession game from him. I want him to have a great season.