PDA

View Full Version : 2018 AFL -Trade Rumours and Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

bornadog
27-06-2018, 03:04 PM
This thread is for all things trade related, any rumours, media articles, or discussion post them here.

bornadog
27-06-2018, 03:05 PM
I will kick off with:

North Melbourne make $5m offer for Jordan De Goey - read article here (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-make-5m-offer-for-jordan-de-goey-20180627-p4zo1s.html)

North keep trying to entice a marque player but have not been successful, even with big dollars.

Grantysghost
27-06-2018, 03:38 PM
I will kick off with:

North Melbourne make $5m offer for Jordan De Goey - read article here (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-make-5m-offer-for-jordan-de-goey-20180627-p4zo1s.html)

North keep trying to entice a marque player but have not been successful, even with big dollars.

That's ridiculous money for a guy who is still questionable. Granted he's had a decent season and you have to add in a twenty percent premium to get players to move, but wow. Whats Bonti worth then ? I'm scared to think.

Dry Rot
27-06-2018, 04:02 PM
FWIW have seen repeatedly rumours that Dahl is going to the Cats and Wallis to the Lions.

Mofra
27-06-2018, 04:08 PM
That's ridiculous money for a guy who is still questionable. Granted he's had a decent season and you have to add in a twenty percent premium to get players to move, but wow. Whats Bonti worth then ? I'm scared to think.
I can't imagine what Tom Lynch will command. He's been linked to Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn but Collingwood don't have the cap space to get him unless they move on both De Goey and Moore, and even then they are hamstrung with Mayne & Wells both contracted for next year ($600k & $500k respectively).

There are a pair of McGoverns floating around, WCE's version looking at close to 1 million. Gaff will earn a pretty penny on the open market as a FA.

There are some big players yet to sign. Then we consider Gold Coast will have a billion early picks and cap space after Lynch leaves, which is appearing more likely. They desperately need a senior mid.

bornadog
27-06-2018, 04:11 PM
I can't imagine what Tom Lynch will command. He's been linked to Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn but Collingwood don't have the cap space to get him unless they move on both De Goey and Moore, and even then they are hamstrung with Mayne & Wells both contracted for next year ($600k & $500k respectively).

There are a pair of McGoverns floating around, WCE's version looking at close to 1 million. Gaff will earn a pretty penny on the open market as a FA.

There are some big players yet to sign. Then we consider Gold Coast will have a billion early picks and cap space after Lynch leaves, which is appearing more likely. They desperately need a senior mid.

I really hope Lynch stays where he his, I would not like him at any other club that has a premiership window.

bornadog
27-06-2018, 04:12 PM
FWIW have seen repeatedly rumours that Dahl is going to the Cats and Wallis to the Lions.

They may have offers, but we will see if we want them or not.

ledge
27-06-2018, 07:26 PM

Have the cats got anything to offer of note ? I thought they traded all their picks away.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Have the cats got anything to offer of note ? I thought they traded all their picks away.

Dahl is a free agent.

ledge
27-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Dahl is a free agent.

Well I imagine their salary cap would be pretty full anyway, not sure they could match anything we could offer.

chef
27-06-2018, 08:02 PM

Or if they want to stay.

Twodogs
27-06-2018, 08:20 PM
Well I imagine their salary cap would be pretty full anyway, not sure they could match anything we could offer.

The salary cap is a malleable object for some clubs. Just like the FA compensation we get for Dahl would be a lot different if he was a Melbourne player. The AFL would find a way to justify giving them a first round pick while we will struggle to get a third rounder for the exact same contract.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2018, 08:54 PM

What is we only wanted to pay $500,000 over 3 years? I can't see him being worth more to us. But if get a couple of retirements and they can do $575,000 but over 4 years... I'd much rather let him go over that extra $300,000 over four years.

But let's just see what happens once the silly season starts.

Mofra
28-06-2018, 11:01 AM
Taylor's retirement will cover it for next year, although I still think they'll chase Lycett hard as priority no 1.

Their recent retirements would have freed up some cash too - Mackie, Enright, Lonergan, etc.

choconmientay
29-06-2018, 12:22 PM
The Roar got some updates this morning regarding Jordan De Goey:

LINK
(https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/afl-trade-rumours/)

Latest
Jordan De Goey is reportedly on the verge of signing a new two-year deal with Collingwood despite reports of offers in the range of $5 million over five years from North Melbourne and St Kilda.

Twodogs
29-06-2018, 12:50 PM
I'm not suprised. 1/ who wants to play at North or St Kilda? 2/ why would you want the pressure of a million dollar contract when you are barely established as an AFL footballer? 3/ some people (unlike, say, Callan Ward for instance) have a bit of dignity and remember who gave them their break and don't go running off with the first suitor to flutter their eyes in their direction. Jordan do Gooey will still make an obscene amount of money, he will be a club legend (instead of attracting ridicule for missing a premiership and being despised by the supporter base of his original, unlike, say, Callan Ward for instance)

Good for de a Gooey, it sounds like his management have half a brain and an eye to the long game,

bornadog
10-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Any interest in Polec?

In-demand speedster yet to commit to Power (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-10/indemand-speedster-yet-to-commit-to-power)

Axe Man
10-07-2018, 06:57 PM
Any interest in Polec?

In-demand speedster yet to commit to Power (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-10/indemand-speedster-yet-to-commit-to-power)

Offers plenty of what we need, run, carry, pace, decent skills, etc.

The problems I see are that surely if he leaves it would be for cash since he's originally from SA and returned there from Brisbane. In which case teams like North or St Kilda are likely to offer him more than we can. Also he would probably demand a late first, early second round pick at worst, obviously an issue given we don't have any of those and we need picks for draft points as well.

azabob
10-07-2018, 08:39 PM
Any interest in Polec?

Wow as Axe Man says he has what we need. But he seriously can’t be thinking of going to a third club?!

bornadog
11-07-2018, 10:18 AM
Left-field trade targets (https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/11/left-field-trade-targets/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

ledge
11-07-2018, 11:38 AM
Left-field trade targets (https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/11/left-field-trade-targets/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

That's a pretty basic article that you could bring up about 20 players on every list to say that with.

The Adelaide Connection
12-07-2018, 01:30 PM
Any interest in Polec?

I would approach with caution. When he arrived from Brisbane he was apparently in worse than terrible condition and allegedly had a penchant for partying. Apparently they took him aside and gave him quite a bollocking and I'm hazy but I think he may have been initially banished from the club till he presented in a better condition. He actually trained a little with a Div. 2 amateur club where I know a few guys and apparently he would be trailing behind in everything they did.

Obviously he was able to get his shit together (at least physically) but my worry would be that maybe he doesn't meet the no dickheads policy. Also, on the back of the 2017 rumours about our group do we really risk adding a bloke who has a reputation (although to be fair it might have just been when at Brisbane) when our first pick could also be a bloke with big question marks on him (Rankine)?

Axe Man
19-07-2018, 11:37 AM
North have reportedly offered Polec a long term deal in excess of $700,000 per season.

EasternWest
19-07-2018, 11:59 AM
North have reportedly offered Polec a long term deal in excess of $700,000 per season.

If that's true and Polec doesn't take it his parents should disown him.

Sedat
19-07-2018, 12:59 PM
If that's true and Polec doesn't take it his parents should disown him.
Would be a nice little nugget for Norf after missing out on LeBron.

What's the point of a war chest if you can't spend it?

The Bulldogs Bite
19-07-2018, 01:39 PM

Laughable.

EasternWest
19-07-2018, 02:12 PM

Of course. But is it spending by offering Polec that much, or squandering?

Twodogs
19-07-2018, 04:14 PM

They were right into Ronaldo too until Juventus came on the scene.

Remi Moses
19-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Apparently they’re in for Pogba

ledge
19-07-2018, 09:13 PM
Cahill?

bornadog
19-07-2018, 09:57 PM
Does anyone think there should be a rule that the top 4 teams should not be eligible to take on a player like Lynch? It just makes the stronger teams stronger.

bulldogtragic
19-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Does anyone think there should be a rule that the top 4 teams should not be eligible to take on a player like Lynch? It just makes the stronger teams stronger.

It'd make sense. But strong clubs would oppose it and probably the AFLPA too. So would we back back the AFEL to make a decision like this? I wouldn't. But it doesn't mean they shouldn't.

GVGjr
19-07-2018, 11:02 PM

I don't like rules like that, you're basically saying teams should be handicapped for getting a lot of things right.
We already have a draft helps the teams that finish lower on the ladder and a salary cap that stops the bigger clubs to buy their way to a flag. Do we really need another way of leveling things?

bornadog
20-07-2018, 12:37 AM
I don't like rules like that, you're basically saying teams should be handicapped for getting a lot of things right.
We already have a draft helps the teams that finish lower on the ladder and a salary cap that stops the bigger clubs to buy their way to a flag. Do we really need another way of leveling things?

It is something similar that happens in the US, just another way to even up the comp.

The Adelaide Connection
20-07-2018, 02:31 AM

Paul Roos has been making comments that touch on this point and, on the back of this, claims that the draft is not the equalisation method it once was/is supposed to be and needs to overhauled.

‘The definition of stupidity’: Paul Roos calls for an overhaul of AFL draft

PREMIERSHIP coach Paul Roos has demanded an overhaul of the draft, saying the so-called equalisation tool is no longer performing its role in the era of free agency.

To support his case, Roos looked at three powerhouse clubs from the past decade and compared them to three cellar dwellers, who have been gifted with the No. 1 pick.

Hawthorn, Sydney and Geelong have all remained relevant in the modern era without bottoming out, with the clubs able to attract mega trades and free agents.

Lance Franklin, Patrick Dangerfield and Jaeger O’Meara are all testaments to this.

Roos said the heightened interest around the No. 1 draft pick was folly given it had hardly provided last-placed teams with a mechanism to climb up the ladder — and as such, the draft wasn’t fulfilling its purpose.

“People out there, mainly recruiters, are going to go, ‘That’s ridiculous’,” Roos said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.
“But this is why it’s not: From 2007-2017, Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney — for 33 seasons combined — have missed the finals only four of those seasons.

“The other ledger: Carlton, Brisbane and Melbourne — in the same period — have made the finals four out of 33 seasons.

“You want to talk about draft picks? The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.”

Full article:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-definition-of-stupidity-paul-roos-calls-for-an-overhaul-of-afl-draft/news-story/39c41c76e9e8581786ac39ed19b74d1a

The Adelaide Connection
20-07-2018, 02:55 AM
The thing that always scared me about free agency was the Judd style pay loopholes that some clubs have been able to utilise in the past and the more lucrative commercial opportunities the bigger clubs can flaunt. Even just having the blockbuster marquee games has got to be a selling point.

If I was a Collingwood recruiter I would almost open with:
"You get to play Anzac day"
"You get to play weekly at the G"
"We have more sponsors with more money to share round"
"Ed will get you media opportunities that other clubs cant"

The talk that Richmond will get Lynch (whilst North Melbourne can't get anybody) is concerning. It also means that clubs like North Melbourne (and us) will likely have to pay a premium in any contract offer.

Maybe clubs having to pay a "transfer fee" that is a sliding scale depending on ladder position (with marquee game holders also up for a premium) could be one way to level the playing field a little. This one off fee would have to be incorporated into the next years salary cap (which would certainly hobble the clubs with the best lists in most cases).

GVGjr
20-07-2018, 03:16 AM
It is something similar that happens in the US, just another way to even up the comp.

But does the competition need it? I'd say no.
There is a fair chance that all you will do is drag the overall standard down not lift it up.
The salary cap does a great job at leveling out the competition and if you make the right decisions you will get your chances of success.
The draft also plays it's part as well so I'm not sure why you think we need to drag successful teams down or make it harder for them to succeed?
Dangerfield and Ablett to Geelong and Franklin to Sydney hasn't necessarily made them unbeatable. GWS manipulated the draft for years and it hasn't quite delivered them a flag either because they also had to let players go due to the salary cap.

I don't think what you are proposing will fix the competition.

Mofra
20-07-2018, 10:29 AM
The question is - who was the large marquee signing to play in a premiership side?

The biggest player movements in recent times seems to be Ablett, Buddy, Dangerfield... none of them end up with a flag. You'd probably have to go back to Ottens as a mega trade that bore fruit.
Judd is considered a success and he didn't even play that many finals for Carlton.

Tom Boyd is a special case considering he was a 9-game kid when we offered a massive deal, his 5 goals in a quarter on two opponents in the TAC Cup still a fresh memory.

Hawks did get O'Meara - but after they sold the farm for him, he wasn't a FA
Sydney getting Lance (and Tippett) lost them the very players that might have snagged them a flag - especially Mumford.
Geelong had to trade for Danger after he said he wanted Adelaide to get some form of compensation. Adelaide at least made a GF after he left, Geelong look like they're heading for a cliff.

TBH I think teams that take a chance on cheap marginal types who come good do much better than those who target superstars.

Of our 7 premiership defenders we had 5 former rookies (including Biggs who was also a virtual freebie trade from Sydney), a DFA, a PSD pick and Wood at pick 43. Development > FA.

The Underdog
20-07-2018, 02:15 PM

I don’t know of any rules in any US sports that have a rule that precludes top teams from signing top free agents outside of standard salary cap or luxury tax penalties. I may be wrong but nothing comes to mind.
I also think it’s a bad idea and agree with GVG that salary cap and draft are big enough equalisation measures.

jeemak
20-07-2018, 02:33 PM
‘The definition of stupidity’: Paul Roos calls for an overhaul of AFL draft

PREMIERSHIP coach Paul Roos has demanded an overhaul of the draft, saying Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos Paul Roos

jeemak
20-07-2018, 02:36 PM
I think Paul will find that all of Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton have been managed horrendously from top to tail, and that the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong have been managed exceptionally well.

Sure, they both get a bit of a leg up from headquarters, and have home ground advantages, but to blame their prominence on the draft not working is off the mark.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2018, 03:47 PM
I think Paul will find that all of Melbourne, Brisbane and Carlton have been managed horrendously from top to tail, and that the likes of Hawthorn and Geelong have been managed exceptionally well.

Sure, they both get a bit of a leg up from headquarters, and have home ground advantages, but to blame their prominence on the draft not working is off the mark.

Is this the same Paul Roos who (among other things) traded away pick two at Melbourne, who was always tipped to be Josh Kelly?

Bulldog4life
20-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Is this the same Paul Roos who (among other things) traded away pick two at Melbourne, who was always tipped to be Josh Kelly?

Yes. He should always be known Paul Kelly Roos from now on.

Greystache
20-07-2018, 04:44 PM
But does the competition need it? I'd say no.
There is a fair chance that all you will do is drag the overall standard down not lift it up.
The salary cap does a great job at leveling out the competition and if you make the right decisions you will get your chances of success.
The draft also plays it's part as well so I'm not sure why you think we need to drag successful teams down or make it harder for them to succeed?
Dangerfield and Ablett to Geelong and Franklin to Sydney hasn't necessarily made them unbeatable. GWS manipulated the draft for years and it hasn't quite delivered them a flag either because they also had to let players go due to the salary cap.

I don't think what you are proposing will fix the competition.

I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree. Free agents generally go to teams that are at the top at that time. They don't have to be especially well run clubs, particularly currently, they just have to have a team in place to be challenging. Clubs down the bottom could be brilliantly run and be drafting future stars 2 or 3 years in a row, but due to the cyclical nature of the AFL, be near the bottom of the ladder, and therefore be unappealing for free agents.

To me free agency does nothing more than lengthen the cycle. Teams at the top can top up to stay close to challenging (history shows not actually be premiers) for practically no cost, while teams down the bottom have to keep drafting youth or pay big for trades to push their way back up. No free agency means the players will still be in the system so the standard doesn't drop, it just means the bottom clubs can rebound faster and you potentially have less Carlton's who are barely VFL standard.

Mofra
20-07-2018, 05:28 PM
I hear what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree. Free agents generally go to teams that are at the top at that time.
Just for shits and giggles I thought I'd have a look at this. Turns out the opposite is true.

2017: Trengove to WB (10th)
Rockliff & Motlop to Port (5th)

2016: Vickery to Hawthorn (5th after finals)
Wells & Mayne to Collingwood (12th)
Brown to St Kilda (9th)

2015: Suckling to WB (6th)
Selwood to Geelong (10th)
Luenberger to Essendon (15th)
Simpson to GWS (11th)

So in the last 3 years we've had 11 free agents with only one player in that time moving to a top 4 club at the end of the H&A (Vickery in 2016) and the Hawks slipped out of the top 4 after the finals anyway.

macca
21-07-2018, 03:05 AM
Here is breakdown of some simple analysis from footywire stats of Hawks ( wish had more time to do Geelong as well, but we all know they got most of the players under the old F/S last pick rule, before it was changed to the bidding system)

2004 draft link: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_drafts?year=2004&t=N&s=P
You can change the year *2004, to another year to see who they drafted from 2000-2012

Hate to say it but Roos may have a point.

Priority picks Hodge and Roughead- who were massive factors and influence, and probably played a large part in getting all their premierships

Apart from Hodge and Roughhead( priority picks) The hawks have got these players through :
1. smart specific recruiting
2 being a destination club, I just hate how they managed to get these mature players being a destination club:
3 pruning their list ruthlessly.

Mature players
Burgyone (2010)
Gunston (2012)- walked out from Adelaide. He lost the best first year player, as Adelaide withdraw the award to him.
David Hale (2011) - may be a special case as he was delisted from North. A leigh brown playbook special.
Spangher (2013) - delisted by Westcoke
McEvoy( 2014)
Frawley (2013)
Lake (2013)
probably add Guerra and Gilham ( both these players probably were let go by their previous clubs)

They have filled key roles. Wonder how many of them would cope with the "multi-position" player requirement nowadays?

Hawks seem to know how to cut players earlier and not hold list cloggers. Interesting they have let go of players who really have not done much at other clubs:
Jed Anderson, Shane Savage, Lisle, Swirstozoki ( name I cant remeber how to spell) , Litherland etc... Even brent renouf got a premiership out of them and was shipped out once Max Bailey got his knee right! Suckling may be an exception, but I am biased! But his injuries are catching up with him, Suckling had a good 2016.
They had Markovic on their list and in 2006 as a Rookie, and he was cut ( maybe due to injuries)

Their core midfield group of : Hodge, Sewell, Mitchell, Lewis played crucial part in them getting to the GFs.

Hawks also, know how to move on their premiership players when they know they are past their prime:
Xavier Ellis - kept getting injured after 2009, and traded to WC
Mitchell - age, and had to move for younger players on list . May have moved on 1 year too early. But moved to a coaching role in his second year there, and been positive move for him and WC. Seen in WC midfield improvement.
Hodge - good fit for Lions, as they need an onfield coach . He looked fat and unfit early on in season.
Clinton Young - got injured regularly when moved to collingwood, and was delisted 2 years after
Mark Williams - knee problems occurred alot when he moved to essendon
Suckling - sadly he has had Achilles injury for last 3 years. Missed 2016 premiership chance because of it :(
Lewis - has not done much at Melbourne. Maybe he has blended into the Melbourne club culture - they have not done much.

Clarkson seems to know the depth of his list and where it may end up in whatever particular year, and was prepared to have a rebuild, starting from 2016. They keep unearthing gems late in the draft like Sicily, and probably James worpel.

Summary of their players recruited who have played in their premierships ( I may have missed quite a few, but hopefully it paints the picture)

Hawthorn:
Premierships 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015

Shane Crawford ( sometime in the 1990s)
1999 #48 Chance Bateman
2000 #43 Mark Williams

#1Luke Hodge #1 (319 games) priority pick
traded out trent Croad ( who later came back in 2008)
#16 Rick Ladson
#32 Campbell Brown
#36 Sam Mitchel (329 games)

Rookie Brad Sewell

#2 J.Roughhead (269 games) priority pick
#5 Franklin (284 games + 900 goals)
#7 Jordan Lewis (298 games
#53 Simon Taylor ( 85 games)

Rookie
Clinton Young

#3 Xavier Ellis ( priority pick 120 games)
#14 Grant birchall (245 games)
#18 Max Bailey (43 games)

Rookie:
stephen Gilham

2006 - traded in Brent Guerra
Brent Renouf

#9 Ben McEvoy ( st kilda picked up and Hawks later ontraded 3 years later)

#12 Rioli
#29 Whitecross
#45 Stuart Dew (45 games - won them the 2008 premiership)

#16 Ryan Schoenmakers
#34 Liam Shiels

#29 Jack Gunston ( Adelaide picked - he later walked out)
#46 Ben Stratton
#69 Taylor Duryea
Rookie: Luke Breust

#70 Rookie PRomotion Matthew Suckling

#19 Issac Smith
#66 Puopolo
#82 Rookie promotion Ricky Henderson

Bradley Hill
Rookie: Will Langford

I wonder if there are a few lessons that can be learnt from Hawks Premiership ascendance and list management in last few years ?

They did get lucky with a few players like Mitchell, Isaac Smith, Puopolo( underrated in my opinion) and Richmond being a shambles gifting them Franklin (behind Tambling) .

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 04:03 AM
The Hawks picked up Jarman Impy this trade period. He's been a great pickup for them.

Mofra
21-07-2018, 12:15 PM
The Hawks picked up Jarman Impy this trade period. He's been a great pickup for them.
We were interested too

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 12:30 PM
We were interested too

Yep he was part of a box set with Trengove.

macca
21-07-2018, 12:40 PM
The Hawks picked up Jarman Impy this trade period. He's been a great pickup for them.. He has gotten better and does not fumble as much . Something special about hawks coaching seems to bring the bet out of players.

Does anyone know where I can get disposal efficiency stats for free? Would like to compare numbers from hawks vs port Adelaide games. Disposal not a totally accurate indicator , as you can have a heap of possession and cough up to opposition

bornadog
21-07-2018, 02:19 PM
. He has gotten better and does not fumble as much . Something special about hawks coaching seems to bring the bet out of players.

Does anyone know where I can get disposal efficiency stats for free? Would like to compare numbers from hawks vs port Adelaide games. Disposal not a totally accurate indicator , as you can have a heap of possession and cough up to opposition

Have you tried http://www.afl.com.au/stats

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 06:33 PM
. He has gotten better and does not fumble as much . Something special about hawks coaching seems to bring the bet out of players.

The quality of the players around you would give you a bit more confidence too. You could pick the ball up knowing a viable option will present itself.

divvydan
21-07-2018, 07:06 PM
One thing the Hawks have going over most clubs is that they've been able to get service out of players who had/have ongoing knee issues prior to joining them. Burgoyne is the clearest example of this and his longevity at Hawthorn no doubt encouraged O'Meara to go there and quite possibly will result in Tom Lynch heading there at the end of the year.

Bulldog Joe
21-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Current trade rumour is that Tim Kelly will depart Geelong at the end of the year and is returning to the west.

azabob
21-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Current trade rumour is that Tim Kelly will depart Geelong at the end of the year and is returning to the west.

That has been going around for a number of weeks. Shame for Geelong if true.

macca
22-07-2018, 12:41 AM
Have you tried http://www.afl.com.au/stats

Thanks for that. Terrible website in terms of usability, consistent with the crap standards of the AFL.

Effective Disposal % = 70%

from footywire disposal numbers :
2018 16.4 Hawks
2017 11.9 Power
2016 12.1 Power
2015 12.6 Power
2014 11.1 Power

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-hawthorn-hawks--jarman-impey

unable to attach screen capture as only have 15kb limit. They are disgustingly efficient! So many players above 70%!

http://www.afl.com.au/stats#/

sort by Team = Hawks , enable Advance options, and add "Disoposal eff", page number 22 to sift through.

ledge
22-07-2018, 10:53 AM
That has been going around for a number of weeks. Shame for Geelong if true.

After fighting so hard to get into the AFL , the club who gives him the chance he throws out the bus after a year.
Some rumours are just that , I find it hard to believe anything the press write anymore , most of it is just speculation to get readers to read it and make themselves a so called "expert" if it comes true.

bornadog
23-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Jeremy McGovern has re-signed for 5 years.

ledge
24-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Jeremy McGovern has re-signed for 5 years.

Don't the media love making up stories when a player is coming out of contract.
Mostly they just look at where they came from and say they want to go home .
You will get a couple right if you say it about every player.
But sadly they claim they are experts and have inside info but when the player stays they move onto another player and claim it was team loyalty to cover their arse.
Wish they would stop speculating to make a headline and just report the truth when it happens.
The AFL media is a disgrace at the moment with most of the stories or comments they make.
Eg a commentator makes a 2 second stupid call on a player in a game , Next thing they do is put it in social media as a full on headline looking for readers .

macca
24-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Lynch could go to the pies

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-make-afl-pitch-to-sun-s-lynch-20180724-p4zt7a.htmlMm

bornadog
24-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Lynch could go to the pies

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-make-afl-pitch-to-sun-s-lynch-20180724-p4zt7a.htmlMm

I don't like coaches or any officials approaching contracted players during the season.

westdog54
25-07-2018, 04:31 PM
I don't like coaches or any officials approaching contracted players during the season.

I respectfully disagree. Free agency and player contracts shouldn't be an elephant in the room. There is a time and place for mature discussions so long as all parties are open and ethical in their dealings and the player maintains his professionalism with his current club.

bornadog
25-07-2018, 05:06 PM
I respectfully disagree. Free agency and player contracts shouldn't be an elephant in the room. There is a time and place for mature discussions so long as all parties are open and ethical in their dealings and the player maintains his professionalism with his current club.

During the season you should be concentrating on your own club and not be worrying about leaving and having thoughts that could effect your performance.

Ozza
25-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Have heard a rumour connecting Richmond's Sam Lloyd to us.
I guess with Clay Smith retired, Tory Dickson doubtful and Liam Picken in the balance career wise - there is an argument for a player of Lloyd's skillset.

Axe Man
25-07-2018, 05:21 PM
I guess with Clay Smith retired, Tory Dickson doubtful and Liam Picken in the balance career wise - there is an argument for a player of Lloyd's skillset.

Was discussed in the Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread a couple of weeks back.

Perfect replacement for Dickson if his body is cooked. Should be cheap and plays in the midfield at VFL level so some versatility as well.

soupman
25-07-2018, 05:51 PM
During the season you should be concentrating on your own club and not be worrying about leaving and having thoughts that could effect your performance.

Nah disagree. I'm not sure I'm keen for players to sign for clubs or make commitments in season, but certainly they should be able to make an informed decision about their future.

That means allowing them to meet prospective employers, to discuss what financial terms they could be looking at, and to give their partners time to find out how it affects them and their lives.

Besides, i hate the whole "you should be focusing on football" line. It's trotted out when people hit a form slump and people blame their hobbies or whatever else they might be thinking about. It's possible and probable that players are capable of performing to a high level and doing stuff outside of football, including contract talks.

bornadog
25-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Was discussed in the Moving/Rolling Trading & Delisting Thread a couple of weeks back.

Perfect replacement for Dickson if his body is cooked. Should be cheap and plays in the midfield at VFL level so some versatility as well.

Has he got the same pace as Tori? Tori is very quick?

bornadog
25-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Nah disagree. I'm not sure I'm keen for players to sign for clubs or make commitments in season, but certainly they should be able to make an informed decision about their future.

That means allowing them to meet prospective employers, to discuss what financial terms they could be looking at, and to give their partners time to find out how it affects them and their lives.

Besides, i hate the whole "you should be focusing on football" line. It's trotted out when people hit a form slump and people blame their hobbies or whatever else they might be thinking about. It's possible and probable that players are capable of performing to a high level and doing stuff outside of football, including contract talks.

Here is another view:

Ban it! Tigers footy boss Neil Balme wants free agency talk off the table (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ban-it-tigers-footy-boss-neil-balme-wants-free-agency-talk-off-the-table/news-story/15b625ecd984c154b8169a090db30b9e)

Axe Man
25-07-2018, 06:15 PM
Has he got the same pace as Tori? Tori is very quick?

No, unfortunately I don't believe he is overly quick. Which is why I also think we need to pickup a small and quick pressure forward late in the ND or in the rookie draft where those types are often available.

westdog54
25-07-2018, 11:35 PM

To be quite frank a truly professional footballer wouldn't allow their performance to be affected by what they are doing next year.

bornadog
25-07-2018, 11:53 PM
To be quite frank a truly professional footballer wouldn't allow their performance to be affected by what they are doing next year.

It would play on your mind

ledge
26-07-2018, 05:08 AM

If anything they would want to play better to increase their possibility of more money , longer contract or even just getting another contract.
How many times do we see players have great years in the final year of contract ?
Jones is an expert at it and look At Mitch Wallis.
I think it's a huge factor in you playing better not worse.

Topdog
26-07-2018, 12:30 PM

It would actually play on your mind more if you weren't able to make an informed decision.

westdog54
26-07-2018, 04:01 PM
If anything they would want to play better to increase their possibility of more money , longer contract or even just getting another contract.
How many times do we see players have great years in the final year of contract ?
Jones is an expert at it and look At Mitch Wallis.
I think it's a huge factor in you playing better not worse.

Exactly.

At the end of the day you're effectively advertising yourself to fellow suitors on game day.

Rugby League have players sign with rivals mid-season and play out their contracts with no issue. Association football has loans for players and a mid-season transfer window. In neither case does the sky fall.

craigsahibee
26-07-2018, 04:25 PM

Hope it's just that. A Rumour. Not a fan. Had to Google him a week or two back to find out who he was.

Just checked his Stats. 28 years old, 55 games since 2014. No idea how many he's missed through injury, but based on that it's a massive NO from me.

Ozza
26-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Hope it's just that. A Rumour. Not a fan. Had to Google him a week or two back to find out who he was.

Just checked his Stats. 28 years old, 55 games since 2014. No idea how many he's missed through injury, but based on that it's a massive NO from me.

He's actually a really smart footballer, and as good a shot for goal as there is in the competition. At VFL level he plays on ball and gets big numbers, at AFL level plays as a small forward.
I'm not necessarily advocating getting him, but trying to colour your perspective more than a google search.
You may recall that he kicked a 50m set shot goal after the siren to beat the swans on a Saturday night. He kicked 35 goals that season.

Happy Days
26-07-2018, 07:15 PM
If we're recasting Wallis as a forward then is there a place for Lloyd?

bornadog
02-08-2018, 06:11 PM
Tom Lynch tells Suns he wants to join a Melbourne AFL club (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tom-lynch-tells-suns-he-wants-to-join-a-melbourne-afl-club-20180802-p4zv4p.html)

DOG GOD
02-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Tom Lynch tells Suns he wants to join a Melbourne AFL club (https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tom-lynch-tells-suns-he-wants-to-join-a-melbourne-afl-club-20180802-p4zv4p.html)

No surprise there...now Richmond, Collingwood or Hawthorn. God help us :(

Rocket Science
02-08-2018, 06:41 PM
Perhaps it's just noise but there are suggestions May might jilt the Suns as well.

While everyone's falling over themselves to bait Lynch I wouldn't be averse to us exploring.

Yes, yes, I know we've got key position defenders up the wazoo. But how many good ones do we have?

bulldogtragic
02-08-2018, 06:54 PM
Perhaps it's just noise but there are suggestions May might jilt the Suns as well.

While everyone's falling over themselves to bait Lynch I wouldn't be averse to us exploring.

Yes, yes, I know we've got key position defenders up the wazoo. But how many good ones do we have?

We've chased May almost every year since he was drafted, why wouldn't we do it again. Hearing 'no' doesn't stop us from going again any other time.

More seriously, say Young does find his way to Adelaide, Morris retires and Roberts is delisted with question marks on Collins if he stays (and the Hawthorn rumours are false) and with Roughead going, Trengove takes the ruck/forward spot. We'd have Adams (lots of injuries), Naughton (inexperienced) & Cordy (not a gorilla taking type) with Wood as the interceptor (unlucky hammies). Chasing May might be worth it again. Moreso if the GCS throw the house at Wallis (such that he can't say no - his manager confirms they're interested in him) for leadership and a needed player type, but we threaten to match the offer and demand a trade that includes May. But without a player demanding to go there, I've no idea how we'd satisfy a trade. And hopefully Wally signs ASAP.

Bulldog4life
02-08-2018, 07:47 PM
We've chased May almost every year since he was drafted, why wouldn't we do it again. Hearing 'no' doesn't stop us from going again any other time.

More seriously, say Young does find his way to Adelaide, Morris retires and Roberts is delisted with question marks on Collins if he stays (and the Hawthorn rumours are false) and with Roughead going, Trengove takes the ruck/forward spot. We'd have Adams (lots of injuries), Naughton (inexperienced) & Cordy (not a gorilla taking type) with Wood as the interceptor (unlucky hammies). Chasing May might be worth it again. Moreso if the GCS throw the house at Wallis (such that he can't say no - his manager confirms they're interested in him) for leadership and a needed player type, but we threaten to match the offer and demand a trade that includes May. But without a player demanding to go there, I've no idea how we'd satisfy a trade. And hopefully Wally signs ASAP.

I have asked Bullies where he read this rumour and he didn't reply so I assume he din't read it or heard it anywhere except on WOOF. Are you just repeating what you read on WOOF BT?

bulldogtragic
02-08-2018, 07:54 PM
I have asked Bullies where he read this rumour and he didn't reply so I assume he din't read it or heard it anywhere except on WOOF. Are you just repeating what you read on WOOF BT?

Bullies I think said Young wanted to Adelaide, and I've not heard that on here or generally. What has been floating around here and if memory serves my correct, was mentioned in a news article, is that Adeliade are into Young, but he's a contracted player so it means absolutely nothing unless there's something in it for the club above and beyond a talented KPP we have contracted. Lots of clubs are into lots of players, but he's contracted.

Bulldog4life
02-08-2018, 08:02 PM
Bullies I think said Young wanted to Adelaide, and I've not heard that on here or generally. What has been floating around here and if memory serves my correct, was mentioned in a news article, is that Adeliade are into Young, but he's a contracted player so it means absolutely nothing unless there's something in it for the club above and beyond a talented KPP we have contracted. Lots of clubs are into lots of players, but he's contracted.

I haven't read anywhere bout Crows interested in Young so just interested in the link from anyone who read it.

Twodogs
02-08-2018, 08:09 PM

Hah! We should be able to turn that little situation into a third round pick at least.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2018, 09:22 PM
I haven't read anywhere bout Crows interested in Young so just interested in the link from anyone who read it.

I've just spent 15 minutes going through the site looking for it. But I'm giving up. In all though, Adelaide would be extremely neglectful not talking to his manager, they need a player like Young, a kid who probably wouldn't leave SA again and he hasn't cracked a game all year with us. Whether he leaves or whether he has told his manager to tell them 'no', who knows. But I'd be staggered in the Crows list manager if they didn't reach out to his manager at a minimum.

DOG GOD
02-08-2018, 09:36 PM
Maybe the reason Young isn’t playing is because he’s told the club he wants a trade back to SA ?

bulldogtragic
02-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Maybe the reason Young isn’t playing is because he’s told the club he wants a trade back to SA ?

You’re now Barrett’s ‘club source’ for this certain trade in his doors thing tomorrow! :D

GVGjr
02-08-2018, 10:46 PM

They would be fattening him up by playing him there a great deal to be had. I thinks its all just highly speculative that are interested in him. Id prefer to keep him.

Twodogs
02-08-2018, 10:48 PM
They would be fattening him up by playing him there a great deal to be had. I thinks its all just highly speculative that are interested in him. Id prefer to keep him.

Especially if another club is interested.

divvydan
02-08-2018, 10:53 PM
If GC are interested in Wallis, I'd expect them to do a trade rather than FA. If they bring Wallis in through FA, that might reduce their return on Lynch (assuming they don't match).

Twodogs
03-08-2018, 12:00 AM
If GC are interested in Wallis, I'd expect them to do a trade rather than FA. If they bring Wallis in through FA, that might reduce their return on Lynch (assuming they don't match).

You're right. They will get better compo for Lynch than we will for Wallis but the AFL views a FA as a FA. It's in their interest to trade for Wallis.

ratsmac
03-08-2018, 12:37 AM
Isn't May a FA also? If so they would lose 2 players to FA so if Wallis walks to GC it would cancel out only 1 FA compo... I think.

Edit: just checked May isn't a FA so disregard any twaddle that I just wrote.

divvydan
03-08-2018, 12:43 AM
May is contracted until the end of next year at which point he would be a FA.

Just for clarification, if GC brought Wallis in on FA and Lynch left on FA, it wouldn't remove all compensation for Lynch leaving but it would likely reduce the compensation from a first round pick to perhaps a mid first round pick or even an end of first round pick. How reduced the compensation would be would depend on the difference between their respective salaries and length of contract.

Happy Days
03-08-2018, 12:47 AM

Just for clarification, if GC brought Wallis in on FA and Lynch left on FA, it wouldn't remove all compensation for Lynch leaving but it would likely reduce the compensation from a first round pick to perhaps a mid first round pick or even an end of first round pick. How reduced the compensation would be would depend on the difference between their respective salaries and length of contract.

So we could potentially move up one spot inside the top 5 if we let Wallis walk?

Sounds like some 4D chess.

Rocket Science
03-08-2018, 09:50 AM
On May and his FA status at the end of 2019; there's been discussion that the last thing GC want is their Lynch situation to be repeated with May this time next year so they might seek a commitment from him now to allay those fears.

If he can't give them one, well...

Axe Man
03-08-2018, 10:35 AM

I've reiterated this a few times on here - it's age and dollars that are important for free agency compensation, contract length is of very minor importance.

Mofra
03-08-2018, 01:22 PM
I've reiterated this a few times on here - it's age and dollars that are important for free agency compensation, contract length is of very minor importance.
Yep read a while back it's the first two years of the contract are taken into consideration, the rest are only used if the decision is line-ball.

Bullies
03-08-2018, 09:33 PM
I have asked Bullies where he read this rumour and he didn't reply so I assume he din't read it or heard it anywhere except on WOOF. Are you just repeating what you read on WOOF BT? No wasn't in the paper. All I said was if a deal can be done to go home he will otherwise he will see out the contract.

bornadog
09-08-2018, 05:02 PM
Anyone interested in Dayne Beams, and what would it take?

Doc26
09-08-2018, 05:17 PM

Yes. Great user of the ball, smart footballer and an identified leader. Unfortunately he will be 29 by start of next year so how much it would cost would be a factor.

He's of similar age to Bryce Gibbs who Adelaide gave up picks 10 and 16 for last season. Beams would sit in a similar category.

Adelaide gaining Gibbs probably fits their window more than it does our own but if we could manufacture it for a low second round pick (unlikely and which we don't currently have) then I'd be interested.

EasternWest
09-08-2018, 05:40 PM

No, but I really rate him.

Hotdog60
09-08-2018, 07:13 PM
The most games he's played for the lions was in 2017.
Has trouble staying on the park. With the age factor I'm a no.
Also he has something that's a bit black and white about him that doesn't sit well.:)

bornadog
13-08-2018, 06:26 PM
St Kilda has an eye on Dan Menzel and looking at a possible two-year offer

Bullies
13-08-2018, 08:11 PM
WC have offered Roughy a contract which apparently is very generous and we won't match. Probably a good move for Roughy.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
13-08-2018, 08:27 PM
WC have offered Roughy a contract which apparently is very generous and we won't match. Probably a good move for Roughy.

Interested to see what FA compo that returns. 3rd round?

bulldogtragic
13-08-2018, 08:38 PM

If we get third round compo, pick 42/395 draft points (before other clubs compo), WCE get ruck depth, Roughy gets a good contract. That's a win for everyone.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2018, 09:32 PM
Stevo said that Saints interested in Rough too.

bulldogtragic
13-08-2018, 09:38 PM

On ya Stevo!

#biddingwar

bornadog
13-08-2018, 11:11 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, where is this coming from?

Bulldog Joe
13-08-2018, 11:15 PM

Why would St Kilda be interested in Roughy/

They have Hickey, Longer and Rowan Marshall. They also have a rookie in Lewis Pierce that they couldn't give a game in the ruck, so have sent him to Frankston so he can play ruck.

Happy Days
13-08-2018, 11:17 PM

They have Hickey, Longer and Rowan Marshall. They also have a rookie in Lewis Pierce that they couldn't give a game in the ruck, so have sent him to Frankston so he can play ruck.

This is a total guess but I'm thinking they're looking to bring in "quality people" to give them some sort of backbone; they're totally lost and listless at the moment.

Twodogs
13-08-2018, 11:30 PM

Mark Stevens on C7 news tonight.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 10:09 AM

Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
Following Following @Stevo7AFL
More
West Coast preparing for the potential loss of Scott Lycett ... believe Bulldog flag hero Jordan Roughead is on the radar as ruck replacement with no Nic Nat either in 2019.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 10:10 AM

Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
14h14 hours ago
More
Roughead, a free agent, is also of interest to the Saints, who are clearly looking at a major ruck shakeup ... @7NewsMelbourne

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 10:23 AM
https://www.zerohanger.com/reports-victorian-club-chasing-menzel-22748/

Out-of-contract Cat Daniel Menzel is being targeted by St Kilda, as reported by Fox Sports’ Tom Morris.

The Saints have made a pitch to the 26-year old’s manager Adam Ramanauskas, but no formal offer has been tabled yet.

Menzel’s preference is to remain in Geelong, who are offering a one-year deal, but a long-term offer from a rival club could entice him to leave the Cattery.

Menzel adds to a growing list of players being linked to St Kilda, including Dan Hannebery, Scott Lycett, Jared Polec, Andrew Gaff.

The injury-prone forward comes with significant risk attached given how much footy he has missed, having only played 10 games this season due to a groin complaint.

Fox Sports is reporting that Menzel is on a salary of approximately $180,000 in 2018, considerably less than the average AFL wage of $371,000 this season.

That is so hard to believe.

Axe Man
14-08-2018, 10:24 AM
On the radar and have offered a very generous contract are 2 very different things.

All I can see reported is West Coast are considering Roughy (most likely along with other rucks, there was a mention of Zac Clarke in an article last week), particularly if Lycett goes. Where does the very generous contract info come from?

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 10:29 AM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-news-wrap-sydneys-possible-asking-price-for-dan-hannebery-alex-fasolo-linked-to-carlton/news-story/b858db2e58ae6acd2dd0563f210014b8

SYDNEY could ask St Kilda to trade its first-round draft pick as part of a potential deal that would see Dan Hannebery land at the Saints, reports the Herald Sun.

Hannebery is contracted to the Swans until the end of 2021, but foxfooty.com.au reported last week that both parties would happy to explore a trade should it be the right deal.

It’s understood the Saints have already made a significant play for the premiership Swan’s services, offering him a long-term deal worth five years.

Should Hannebery request a trade to the Saints, Sydney would likely ask St Kilda for its first pick — currently Pick 4 but could be anywhere between Picks 2 and 5 by season’s end — and the Saints could get Sydney’s first-round selection — which is set to be past Pick 10.
Sydney footy boss Tom Harley remained tight-lipped about Hannebery’s footy future on Monday morning.

“He’s contracted from our end and certainly hasn’t asked for a trade,” Harley told SEN.

Saints football boss Simon Lethlean last week confirmed his club’s interest in Hannebery.

“He’s a person I know pretty well, so I’m able to have frank conversations with him at the right time,” Lethlean told SEN.

“If we get any indication that he is (prepared to leave Sydney), we’ll certainly talk to him.”

HAWKS, DONS JOIN RACE FOR SHIEL

HAWTHORN and Essendon have joined the race for GWS star Dylan Shiel, reports The Australian .

While Shiel said earlier this season he had no intention of leaving the Giants, GWS could potentially need to deal one of its bigger names to relieve its salary cap squeeze.

Shiel is contracted until the end of 2019 but has been linked to cellar dwellars Carlton.

A dynamic, explosive midfielder, Shiel would add plenty to either Essendon or Hawthorn as the two Victorian powerhouses look to build their on-ball brigades.

Both clubs have been heavily active in the trade period in recent years, with Hawthorn securing Jaeger O’Meara and Tom Mitchell at the end of 2016, while Essendon landed Jake Stringer, Devon Smith and Adam Saad at the end of the last year.

The Hawks could have salary cap space freed up by Cyril Rioli’s retirement.

Both clubs would offer a significant challenge to the struggling Blues.

FROM BLACK AND WHITE TO NAVY BLUE

ALEX Fasolo’s management is in discussions to send the Collingwood free agent to Carlton next season, reports Fairfax Media .

The forward has played just one game this season, partially due to injury and partially due to form, as the Magpies have transformed from also-rans into finals contenders.

The 26-year-old has previously been keen on a move back home to Western Australia but reportedly now prefers to remain in Victoria.

A mooted deal for Fasolo at the Blues would see him earn around $1 million over three years, putting him right around the average AFL salary.
Collingwood would be compensated, likely with a third-round pick, if the free agent was to depart the club.

Fasolo has played 101 matches since debuting for Collingwood in 2011. He played in the losing Grand Final that year to Geelong, and has kicked 133 goals for his career, including a team-leading 25 in 2016.

PREMIERSHIP RUCKMAN HEADING WEST … OR SOUTH-EAST

FREE agent ruckman Jordan Roughead is likely to leave the Kennel and is on the radar of both West Coast and St Kilda, reports 7 News.

The Eagles are said to be “very keen” on the Western Bulldogs 2016 premiership player, viewing him as a replacement if Scott Lycett leaves in the trade period.

The Saints are a suitor for Lycett, but are also circling the 27-year-old Roughead.

If Lycett does leave West Coast it will leave Adam Simpson’s side with just the injury-prone Nathan Vardy, the inexperienced Fraser McInnes and rookie Tony Olango as listed ruckmen.

Nic Naitanui is expected to miss the 2019 season after once again tearing his ACL last month.

Roughead has played 136 games for the Western Bulldogs after debuting back in 2010.

SUNS SHOULD CHASE GODDARD

ESSENDON great Matthew Lloyd believes the Gold Coast Suns should chase Brendon Goddard should the Bombers opt to part ways with him at season’s end.

With two rounds left in the home and away season, Goddard remains out of contract at the club.

Goddard has made it clear he wants to keep playing next season and said he will meet with Worsfold in the next week or two.

Lloyd said a club like the Suns, who are desperate for experience at the moment, could benefit the most from Goddard joining the club.

“I would take him if I was the Gold Coast Suns for leadership, if Essendon don’t want him,” Lloyd told Sportsday on Monday night.

Lloyd, on the weekend, said Goddard would “rattle the cages” of some of Gold Coast’s youngsters.

Goddard, 33, has played 331 games — 205 for the Saints and 126 for the Bombers since 2013.

Ahead of Friday night’s clash against his old club St Kilda, Goddard said Worsfold has given nothing away.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 10:43 AM
We should be chasing Dylan Shiel.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 10:49 AM

Beat me to it. This.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-08-2018, 10:59 AM
How can essendon possibly afford Shiel?

bornadog
14-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Beat me to it. This.

Great minds think alike.

What would you give up? He is almost worth giving up pick 5

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 11:12 AM

Definitely would be very interested.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Great minds think alike.

What would you give up? He is almost worth giving up pick 5

He’s worth 5 easily. Plus they wanted Honeychurch last year... I’m happy to include him, deal or no deal.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 11:33 AM
He’s worth 5 easily. Plus they wanted Honeychurch last year... I’m happy to include him, deal or no deal.

That would be in keeping with GWS' mantra of recruiting "tough but limited Bulldogs players".

Axe Man
14-08-2018, 11:35 AM

Are you trying to sweeten the deal or make it less attractive?

Rocket Science
14-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
14h14 hours ago
More
Roughead, a free agent, is also of interest to the Saints, who are clearly looking at a major ruck shakeup ... @7NewsMelbourne

Oh dear, this is clearly Stevo trying to be helpful by beating the jungle drums for the club, as he's occasionally wont to do.

Ozza
14-08-2018, 12:30 PM
I would absolutely trade pick 5 (or 6) for Shiel - but we would need to sweeten the deal further. They are short of ruckman....Roughy? We may need to go even further to compensate them for Shiel. Then there is a issue of how we fit the salary in...

Greystache
14-08-2018, 01:15 PM
I would absolutely trade pick 5 (or 6) for Shiel - but we would need to sweeten the deal further. They are short of ruckman....Roughy? We may need to go even further to compensate them for Shiel. Then there is a issue of how we fit the salary in...

Shiel for 5-6 is a bargain. I'd give up next year's 2nd round pick if it would get it done.

Twodogs
14-08-2018, 01:27 PM
Shiel is quality, he's the type of player who makes the world a happy place when he has the ball in hand. He's had some injury concerns though hasn't he, although it's a rough game. No more than most kids coming through.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 01:33 PM

Shiel for 5-6 is a bargain. I'd give up next year's 2nd round pick if it would get it done.

Agree we need to give more. If Josh Kellett & Oliver Libba are the real deal come next year, it's only losing points with a 2019 second rounder. If Roughy, Dahl & Wallis all leave for some reason (on top of retirement/s), we have a good chunk of salary cap too. The Stars could all align. I'd hope we were putting ourselves in the race.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 01:46 PM
How much is Shiel worth? He must get more than Boyd surely. Then you have the Bont.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 01:58 PM
How much is Shiel worth? He must get more than Boyd surely. Then you have the Bont.

We front ended Boyd, so yes he would get more. Bonts would get a lot.

If we were to free up Clay Smith, Wallis, Dahl & Roughy plus Morris (if he retires), Roberts, Campbell etc. we'd have enough salary cap for Shiel. Dalrymple said last year we still had 'The Hurley Money' and we obviously didn't use up last year which could head over to Bonts plus we would've factored in re-signing Stringer on good coin in the cap forecasts. Schache would be on less than that figure, so that gives us a net gain too. So signing Bonts is no problem too. Beyond one more big dollar player that'd be it though for big, big cost recruits. If we think it should be Shiel, a gun quick midfielder, then I'm happy to use that cap on him. Shiel, Bonts & Macrae when all fit is a damn good centre set up with a ruck. Libba & McLean are bonuses to that.

Doc26
14-08-2018, 01:59 PM
To be in the ball park for Shiel it would have to be along similar lines:

As expected, Collingwood gave up its first-round picks this year (No.7 overall) and next year's first pick for Adam Treloar, while it also gave No.65 to the Giants.

In addition to Treloar, the Giants also passed their second-round draft pick this year (No.28 overall) back to the Pies.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 02:37 PM
We front ended Boyd, so yes he would get more. Bonts would get a lot.

If we were to free up Clay Smith, Wallis, Dahl & Roughy plus Morris (if he retires), Roberts, Campbell etc. we'd have enough salary cap for Shiel. Dalrymple said last year we still had 'The Hurley Money' and we obviously didn't use up last year which could head over to Bonts plus we would've factored in re-signing Stringer on good coin in the cap forecasts. Schache would be on less than that figure, so that gives us a net gain too. So signing Bonts is no problem too. Beyond one more big dollar player that'd be it though for big, big cost recruits. If we think it should be Shiel, a gun quick midfielder, then I'm happy to use that cap on him. Shiel, Bonts & Macrae when all fit is a damn good centre set up with a ruck. Libba & McLean are bonuses to that.

Is there a link to confirm this? The only thing I have read is "When Boyd arrived at the club he was still on a lower, AFL-prescribed salary for second-year players in what was his first year at the Bulldogs, but then jumped into seven figures in subsequent years".

Axe Man
14-08-2018, 02:38 PM
Don't understand why Shiel would leave this year. It's looking like injuries will wreck GWS this season but next year they will unfortunately be a big chance at the flag. At the end of next year he can walk under free agency for bucketloads of cash. Also can't see him choosing us over say Hawthorn unless we are offering him stupid money, and I'm sure North or St Kilda will be able to offer him stupider money than us.

Happy Days
14-08-2018, 03:07 PM
Obviously interested in Shiel but he's not as good as Treloar so we will hopefully not be looking to pay as much. To be totally honest I'm not into trading top 5 picks for anybody; the chance to get a crack at the first two years of development on an elite talent is the best way to build homegrown superstars and always will be (not that it applies to Shiel insomuch as to whoever we'd pick)

Re Roughy; have to say it warms my heart to see we might trade with the Saints, the single-most rollable club in world sport - especially when a ruckman is involved.

Axe Man
14-08-2018, 04:17 PM
Re Roughy; have to say it warms my heart to see we might trade with the Saints, the single-most rollable club in world sport - especially when a ruckman is involved.

Free agent - we will get a third round compo pick at best.

Happy Days
14-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Free agent - we will get a third round compo pick at best.

I was going to suggest that we match and trade given the (somehow) bullish market for him, but it's probably not fair to a great clubman to do so and handicap his last big payday.

So instead I'll posit that a 3rd round pick for a premiership-winning mobile superstar ruckman, also one of the club's top-tier leaders and in his prime at only 28 years of age is absolutely outrageous and we deserve band 2 at least*.

(*We need draft points and everyone knows the AFL makes it up so that no club is left unhappy anyway)

mjp
14-08-2018, 06:03 PM
Obviously interested in Shiel but he's not as good as Treloar so we will hopefully not be looking to pay as much. To be totally honest I'm not into trading top 5 picks for anybody; the chance to get a crack at the first two years of development on an elite talent is the best way to build homegrown superstars and always will be (not that it applies to Shiel insomuch as to whoever we'd pick)

Where do we sign up to swap pick 5 for Dylan Shiel?

That would be AWESOME!

Mofra
14-08-2018, 06:04 PM
Don't understand why Shiel would leave this year. It's looking like injuries will wreck GWS this season but next year they will unfortunately be a big chance at the flag. At the end of next year he can walk under free agency for bucketloads of cash. Also can't see him choosing us over say Hawthorn unless we are offering him stupid money, and I'm sure North or St Kilda will be able to offer him stupider money than us.
Not Shiil specifically, but GWS are all but resigned to losing one star this year due to cap pressure and they probably get more for a trade this year than they do as FA compo next year which at the pointy end of the ladder means the best they can hope for is a pick in the teens directly after their first round pick.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Where do we sign up to swap pick 5 for Dylan Shiel?

That would be AWESOME!

Yeah I'm not sure I agree with HD. You can get a diamond at pick 5, but you also take a chance on it being coal. Whereas Shiel is already proven rolled gold and probably has ten more years in him. Where do I sign?

jeemak
14-08-2018, 06:08 PM
Shiel for pick 5 would be completely amazing. Would we do it for pick 5 and Dahl, and a return of a second or third round?

Happy Days
14-08-2018, 06:20 PM
Sorry I didn't make it clear - I would do pick 5 for Shiel, I just don't like or really want to trade top 5 picks.

We'd be looking at a package like what Jeemak outlined - which is less than what the Pies gave up for Treloar but more than 5 itself.

DOG GOD
14-08-2018, 06:27 PM
Shiel for pick 5 would be completely amazing. Would we do it for pick 5 and Dahl, and a return of a second or third round?

Shiel and 2nd rounder for Dahl and pick 5 would be a great result.

Twodogs
14-08-2018, 06:30 PM

Bring me my signing pen.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 06:32 PM
Of course the question needs to be asked, is a draft pick coming through going to be better in the future than Shiel? Unknown of course, but do you take the punt

Go_Dogs
14-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Would we trade Bont or Macrae for Shiel?

Twodogs
14-08-2018, 08:36 PM

I'd ask for both.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2018, 08:40 PM

The counter to that is would you trade Stringer or the equivalent of Tim Walsh. Would you trade Jack Billings

The draft is an unknown, but Shiel is proven quality

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
14h14 hours ago
More

Just because Stevens reports doesn't have it pass the test of a logical choice for St Kilda. Although being St Kilda, logic may not be something they understand.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 09:04 PM

No. And a few more words because woof tells me saying "no" isn't enough words.

Unless Bont wanted to go, I wouldn't ever trade him.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 09:19 PM
No. And a few more words because woof tells me saying "no" isn't enough words.

Unless Bont wanted to go, I wouldn't ever trade him.

Um... I think he means the idea of trading a pick 4-6 recruit, as opposed to our guys. But I see where you are coming from.

Dancin' Douggy
14-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Well........................ I'm probably way out on my own here. But I don't like Shiel.

I do not like him here or there.

I do not like his face or hair.

I will not will not give pick five

We need a man who looks alive.

(apologies to Dr Suess)

That's right, I Don't like his haircut.
I don't like the cut of his jib.
Great player, but no joy there for me.
He's like a stormtrooper. A robot off an assembly line
Too perfectly groomed.
Emotionless.
If there was a a movie about him, Schwarzenegger would fail the audition for not being wooden enough to truly represent the character.

So..............

Keep pick 5 and use it on a 'cleanskin'.

Shiel is the antithesis of Bob. And Bob is 100% bulldog perfection.

Anyone with me?

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Um... I think he means the idea of trading a pick 4-6 recruit, as opposed to our guys. But I see where you are coming from.

Oh ok I get it. It's a bit of a false statement though. Would I trade Tim Walsh or Jake Stringer for Shiel?

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 09:31 PM
Well........................ I'm probably way out on my own here. But I don't like Shiel.

(apologies to Dr Suess)

Too perfectly groomed.
Emotionless.
If there was a a movie about him, Schwarzenegger would fail the audition for not being wooden enough to truly represent the character.

So..............

Anyone with me?

No, but I did laugh.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 11:28 PM
Oh ok I get it. It's a bit of a false statement though. Would I trade Tim Walsh or Jake Stringer for Shiel?

Yep on the phrasing. You’d need UFU sign off on a Walsh trade under the EBA. Have you got that kind of pull? If so, let’s get do it. I think I can Peter Street done for Lobbe if we are keen.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Too perfectly groomed.
Emotionless.

You would be like Shiel if you played for GWS

Axe Man
15-08-2018, 12:49 PM
AFL trade whispers, news: West Coast interested in Aaron Sandilands, Gold Coast eyes Cat (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trade-whispers-news-west-coast-interested-in-aaron-sandilands-gold-coast-eyes-cat/news-story/603a26c5958911617dd05bf9f800d780)

West Coast interested in Aaron Sandilands and St Kilda have reportedly offered Lycett a 5 year $700k deal. There may be some interest in Roughy but I doubt he will be in high demand.

I suspect the earlier claim of a generous contract tabled by West Coast to Roughy is unlikely to be true and hasn't been reported anywhere as far as I can tell.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2018, 12:57 PM
5 years @ 700k for Lycett?

The world has gone mad.

Mofra
15-08-2018, 01:33 PM
5 years @ 700k for Lycett?

The world has gone mad.
Their rucks are shit and there is nobody else on their list worth paying. I can understand it.

Ozza
15-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Love the idea of getting Shiel. Doubt it will happen - but very happy to hand over whatever is required. He is a jet.

In the back of my mind (extreme wishful thinking)....Josh Kelly and Bont are great mates...Kelly renewed for 2 years at the end of last year instead of taking the long term Kangas deal, because he and the Bont have it all worked out. They're going to wait until that Tom Boyd money drops off - and then we'll have room to sign up Kelly and Bont to long term deals and be unstoppable!

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 02:36 PM
Love the idea of getting Shiel. Doubt it will happen - but very happy to hand over whatever is required. He is a jet.

In the back of my mind (extreme wishful thinking)....Josh Kelly and Bont are great mates...Kelly renewed for 2 years at the end of last year instead of taking the long term Kangas deal, because he and the Bont have it all worked out. They're going to wait until that Tom Boyd money drops off - and then we'll have room to sign up Kelly and Bont to long term deals and be unstoppable!

That's definitely going to happen.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Their rucks are shit and there is nobody else on their list worth paying. I can understand it.

No point paying a mediocre bloke 700K because the rest of your list is shit.

By all means I hope they do it because it ensures they push themselves further away.

bornadog
15-08-2018, 03:33 PM

My dream team up.

DOG GOD
15-08-2018, 04:05 PM

This post got me a little “excited” :)

azabob
16-08-2018, 01:28 PM

Saints should chase Ben McEvoy or Rhys Stanley for a first and second ruck combo.

Grantysghost
16-08-2018, 05:14 PM
Report Eagles are into English.

Link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/west-coasts-bold-ploy-to-lure-western-bulldogs-ruckman-tim-english/news-story/8a53418f1f99199db8b00297c0e2275a)

Testekill
16-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Can't see it happening. English has two years to go on his contract and would cost the Eagles far more than he is worth just to pry him away from us.

Grantysghost
16-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Can't see it happening. English has two years to go on his contract and would cost the Eagles far more than he is worth just to pry him away from us.

Agree and there's not alot of substance to the article. The magical "sources close to the Eagles".

Axe Man
16-08-2018, 05:42 PM
In the last week West Coast have been linked to just about every ruckman in the country.

Unless they want to give us Gaff (yeah I know he's a free agent) tell them to GAGF.

comrade
16-08-2018, 05:56 PM

Link (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/west-coasts-bold-ploy-to-lure-western-bulldogs-ruckman-tim-english/news-story/8a53418f1f99199db8b00297c0e2275a)

Hey Eagles, GAGF.

ledge
16-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Gee reporters write rubbish sometimes.
If he just signed for another year I would think he would be happy where he is.
Then he repeats the old Wallis stories.
No news day obviously.

bornadog
16-08-2018, 07:02 PM
West Coast’s bold ploy to lure Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English

REad te full story here (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/west-coasts-bold-ploy-to-lure-western-bulldogs-ruckman-tim-english/news-story/8a53418f1f99199db8b00297c0e2275a)

Go_Dogs
16-08-2018, 07:04 PM
The counter to that is would you trade Stringer or the equivalent of Tim Walsh. Would you trade Jack Billings

The draft is an unknown, but Shiel is proven quality

I agree, it's unknown - whilst Shiel is a very good player, I'm not sure he's quite as good as Bont or Macrae (others may disagree). It's risky and probably becomes a question about where our list is at and how quickly we can contend again. If that's next year, maybe Shiel is the option, if it's 3-5 years maybe we roll the dice and try to knock another one out the park.

Rocket Science
16-08-2018, 07:13 PM
"The fact the highly rated English is on their radar is testament to their ambitious approach, although there has been no trade discussions between the two clubs regarding the 205cm big man."

PUHlease.

It may as well read :

"The fact the highly rated Kelly is on the Bulldogs' radar is testament to their ambitious approach, although there has been no trade discussions between the Giants and Dogs regarding the prolific ball winner."

Twodogs
16-08-2018, 07:35 PM
"The fact the highly rated English is on their radar is testament to their ambitious approach, although there has been no trade discussions between the two clubs regarding the 205cm big man."

PUHlease.

It may as well read :

"The fact the highly rated Kelly is on the Bulldogs' radar is testament to their ambitious approach, although there has been no trade discussions between the Giants and Dogs regarding the prolific ball winner."

Or simply "the Eagles have just realised that Tim English is from Perth. It's a shame they didn't work it out before the 205 cm big man signed a contract extension EARLY IN HIS FIRST YEAR*"

*IE, this hardly ever happens and I think it indicates that English is happy at the Bulldogs and the Bulldogs are happy to have him

EasternWest
16-08-2018, 08:43 PM
I agree, it's unknown - whilst Shiel is a very good player, I'm not sure he's quite as good as Bont or Macrae (others may disagree). It's risky and probably becomes a question about where our list is at and how quickly we can contend again. If that's next year, maybe Shiel is the option, if it's 3-5 years maybe we roll the dice and try to knock another one out the park.

He doesn't need to be as good as the Bont or Macrae though. He just has to be him, which is elite. A draft pick is still a risk, whereas he's an established star.

I'd definitely trade pick 5.

GVGjr
16-08-2018, 09:13 PM

Its a strange request given his contract status but I wonder what they might be prepard to part with?

soupman
16-08-2018, 09:13 PM
You'd be mad not to trade pick 5/6. With that pick you basically have a 2/5 chance of getting someone as good as Shiel, and a 1/5 chance of getting someone better, if that. I'd take the guarantee.

jeemak
16-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Its a strange request given his contract status but I wonder what they might be prepard to part with?

"Carn Tim, break your contract and we'll screw over the Bulldogs!" They don't really have anything they can offer us that we can't potentially get for free anyway.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
16-08-2018, 10:16 PM
It's an interesting situation.
They are clearly in a position where they would need to offer considerable overs to even get us to return a call. They would have questions over Nic Nats durability and Lycett potentially eyeing offers elsewhere that would see us having leverage.
However, what could they offer us that might make us even entertain giving up a talent like English.
We are hardly flush with ruck talent and honestly must be relishing the thought that a maturing English could really elevate our game and our onballers output in years ahead.
Its a no for mine, unless two things converge, the offer is huge and English is telling us he will definitely be seeking a move home come end of his contract.
Unless he is adamant he will not stay beyond his contract we should not even answer the phone.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2018, 10:19 PM

What ever it is, tell him he's dreaming.

Happy Days
16-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Do they have anything that we'd want that they would give up.

They aren't going to do Gaff straight up, McGovern just re-signed, and I'd rather English than any of their kids/their first/a combination of one of their kids and their first.

comrade
16-08-2018, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't take 2 first rounders for English, I'm that bullish on him.

A gun ruck is an absolute game changer (see Gawn & Grundy). I think English has the potential to reach those heights.

The fact we have very little ruck coverage also means he's worth his weight in gold to us.

Rocket Science
16-08-2018, 11:57 PM

A gun ruck is an absolute game changer (see Gawn & Grundy). I think English has the potential to reach those heights.

The fact we have very little ruck coverage also means he's worth his weight in gold to us.

All this to the power of infinity. English has the makings of a top-three ruckman in the league.

AND him owning the role means more forward time for Boyd.

I'd unreservedly tell the Eagles to jam it, if there was the faintest whiff of veracity to this. Which there ain't.

It's gonna be another loooong silly season.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2018, 12:13 AM

I totally agree..except
1. English was to convey to the club 'No matter what, come end of contract I'm heading home'.
2. AND Wet Toast were to construct a very silly offer.

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 12:18 AM
I totally agree..except
1. English was to convey to the club 'No matter what, come end of contract I'm heading home'.
2. AND Wet Toast were to construct a very silly offer.

In English's case it would be "end of the contract extension I signed tying me to the club until the end of 2020."

Dry Rot
17-08-2018, 12:41 AM
What would it cost to get Steph Martin from the Lions for a year or two while English develops?

IIRC he wants to go to Victoria and maybe in the twilight of his career, the Lions might let him.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2018, 12:53 AM
In English's case it would be "end of the contract extension I signed tying me to the club until the end of 2020."

Agree. Which is why there would need to be an 'Oh my Gosh' offer from Wet Toast to even entertain it.

The Underdog
17-08-2018, 08:56 AM
What would it cost to get Steph Martin from the Lions for a year or two while English develops?

IIRC he wants to go to Victoria and maybe in the twilight of his career, the Lions might let him.

How do we fit Boyd, Schache, Trengove, English and Martin into the same team while still giving English game time? I honestly don’t think we need to add a first line ruck. As long as he’s fit Tim should be ready to play a prominent role in the 1sts next year.

Dancin' Douggy
17-08-2018, 09:33 AM

bastards

bornadog
17-08-2018, 06:47 PM
WC are dreamin

GVGjr
17-08-2018, 08:14 PM
I know West Coast are casting a wide net because they rate the ruck position and I do think there is some creative license by the media by speculating that a local boy in Tim English would be on their radar but why wouldnt we consider a trade for any player like English?

Yep hes got plenty of ability and there is no doubt he has come on exceptionally well in just two short years but we have a coach that many believe dosent really rate the one position English is best suited to.

I dont want us to trade English but I'd be Ok with the club listening to offers from West Coast.

Sedat
17-08-2018, 08:28 PM
Yep hes got plenty of ability and there is no doubt he has come on exceptionally iwell in just two short years but we have a coach that many believe dosent really rate the one position English is best suited to.
Isn't this more of a circumstance that we haven't had a natural ruckman until English was drafted? And if Bevo didn't rate ruckmen, would he have given license to the recruiting team to use our first pick on one in 2016?

The only circumstance I would consider even listening to West Coke in the future is if English has chronic homesickness and demands a move back to his home state.

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 08:28 PM
I know West Coast are casting a wide net because they rate the ruck position and I do think there is some creative license by the media by speculating that a local boy in Tim English would be on their radar but why wouldnt we consider a trade for any player like English?

Yep hes got plenty of ability and tgere is no doubt he has come on exceptionallyif well in just two short years but we have a coach that many believe dosent really rate the one position English is best suited to.

I dont want us to trade English but I'd be Ok with the club listening to offers from West Coast.
I

I think it's more that Bevo doesn't respect the ruckmen we happen to have and we haven't had the opportunity to bring in the type of ready made ruckman that Bevo does rate (tap out to advantage is more important than first hand to the ball, must be able to play multiple positions and must be able to transition from a ruck contest to being an extra mid at the fall of he ball in an instant) English shows that he possesses those traits and I think Bevo will be very happy with him.

GVGjr
17-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Isn't this more of a circumstance that we haven't had a natural ruckman until English was drafted? And if Bevo didn't rate ruckmen, would he have given license to the recruiting team to use our first pick on one in 2016?

The only circumstance I would consider even listening to West Coke in the future is if English has chronic homesickness and demands a move back to his home state.

I've read on here numerous times that Bevo was supposedly reinventing the position and that he never really rated it, this flew in the face of our apparent interest in the likes of Lobbe, Martin and Kruezer plus a few others over the years and its the reason why many are content with Boyd as a number one ruckman. Given we've used Bontempelli, Dunkley and Jong as part time options plus even last week we used Gowers there while having both Roughead and Trengove up foward can any of us say for certain that English is the ruckman that Bevo will back?

Id be backing English but why wouldn't we listen to offers given the uncertain approach we have with ruckman? Perhaps English will be the ruck messiah Bevo has been looking for but its not clear to me direction we are heading in.

macca
18-08-2018, 01:38 AM
I think it's more that Bevo doesn't respect the ruckmen we happen to have and we haven't had the opportunity to bring in the type of ready made ruckman that Bevo does rate (tap out to advantage is more important than first hand to the ball, must be able to play multiple positions and must be able to transition from a ruck contest to being an extra mid at the fall of he ball in an instant) English shows that he possesses those traits and I think Bevo will be very happy with him.

Question, how would the Great Beard Hudson rate under Bevo? As Hudson was renowned for his stoppage work.

GVGjr
18-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Question, how would the Great Beard Hudson rate under Bevo? As Hudson was renowned for his stoppage work.

I think the only concern Bevo would have with him is his almost non ability to hit the scoreboard and take his turn up forward

Ozza
20-08-2018, 12:47 PM
Isn't the talk of English being linked to WCE due to him being from WA a bit overblown. He's hardly a 'local' to Perth if his parents live 200 kilometres away.

choconmientay
20-08-2018, 01:38 PM
I've read on here numerous times that Bevo was supposedly reinventing the position and that he never really rated it, this flew in the face of our apparent interest in the likes of Lobbe, Martin and Kruezer plus a few others over the years and its the reason why many are content with Boyd as a number one ruckman. Given we've used Bontempelli, Dunkley and Jong as part time options plus even last week we used Gowers there while having both Roughead and Trengove up foward can any of us say for certain that English is the ruckman that Bevo will back?

Id be backing English but why wouldn't we listen to offers given the uncertain approach we have with ruckman? Perhaps English will be the ruck messiah Bevo has been looking for but its not clear to me direction we are heading in.

I believe Bevo reinvented the ruck role and utilized 3rd man up really effectively (Bont/Jong/Dunkley/...) That contributed to us winning a Premiership until the AFL decided to change the rule and we were caught out in the way we recruited for this department.

Maybe now Bevo needs to re-think, re-visit the Ruck position and the best bet imo is to back in Tim English. He showed enough talent and agility to be the best Ruck man in few years time.

Some time I wish Bevo would be less stubborn and read WOOF a bit more :) to consider a few more perspectives for the ruck-role.

bornadog
20-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Some time I wish Bevo would be less stubborn and read WOOF a bit more :) to consider a few more perspectives for the ruck-role.

I hope he doesn't read Woof, we would never win a game. ;)

choconmientay
20-08-2018, 02:04 PM
I hope he doesn't read Woof, we would never win a game. ;)

Hehehehe, Forgot to mention he should read WOOF but stay away from the match day thread ��

Daughter of the West
20-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Isn't the talk of English being linked to WCE due to him being from WA a bit overblown. He's hardly a 'local' to Perth if his parents live 200 kilometres away.

Wasn't it the go-home factor that took Harbrow to the Gold Coast? :rolleyes:

bornadog
20-08-2018, 03:51 PM
Wasn't it the go-home factor that took Harbrow to the Gold Coast? :rolleyes:

A lot of people on WOOF accepted that, but I didn't at all. Half his family come from Mooroopna.

As for English, Tom Morris (foxfooty) making up stories again.

bornadog
21-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Goddard will not be given another contract - should retire.

Mofra
21-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Goddard will not be given another contract - should retire.
Gold Coast to approach him?
Goddard mentioned he'd like to play on a week or two ago.

Axe Man
21-08-2018, 01:19 PM
Gold Coast to approach him?
Goddard mentioned he'd like to play on a week or two ago.

He could be good for Gold Coast, as Hodge has been for Brisbane, if he sets the right example and keeps the finger pointing and pretzel throwing to a minimum.

westdog54
21-08-2018, 02:18 PM
He could be good for Gold Coast, as Hodge has been for Brisbane, if he sets the right example and keeps the finger pointing and pretzel throwing to a minimum.

That's just it, you NEVER saw that sort of stuff from a Hodge or Mitchell on the field.

Goddard to GC would be a disaster for all concerned.

Doc26
21-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Do they have anything that we'd want that they would give up.

They aren't going to do Gaff straight up, McGovern just re-signed, and I'd rather English than any of their kids/their first/a combination of one of their kids and their first.

Gaff’s a free agent so WC have no trade currency with him anyway - if he wants to go to North on big coin that’s where he’ll end up.

Geez I couldn’t think of much that WC would consider of interest to us for our Timmy who should be viewed in the Gawn, Grundy category for what he’s showing.

McGovern is close to their MVP but our greater need is for a quality ruckman (English), an effective outside midfielder (Yeo) and a quality small forward (Cripps type).

I’d say no unless somehow there are strong indications that Tim WILL return. Nothing that I’ve heard of the sort.

Bulldog4life
21-08-2018, 02:47 PM
WC had the chance to draft English. They chose Venables. Stiff. No deal.

Doc26
21-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Love the wishful thinking Ozza.

Until Marcus is re-signed the pessimist in me sees North using their war chest to make deals that neither Kelly and Marcus can refuse at the end of 2019, for them both to somehow ending up at North.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-08-2018, 03:31 PM
Love the wishful thinking Ozza.

Until Marcus is re-signed the pessimist in me sees North using their war chest to make deals that neither Kelly and Marcus can refuse at the end of 2019, for them both to somehow ending up at North.

Not if they blow the money on Gaff and Polec

Go_Dogs
21-08-2018, 07:24 PM
Goddard surely will land at Freo back with Ross the Boss.

GVGjr
21-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Goddard surely will land at Freo back with Ross the Boss.

Maybe both of them at Carlton?

Go_Dogs
21-08-2018, 07:50 PM
Maybe both of them at Carlton?

That would be brilliant.

kruder
23-08-2018, 10:55 PM
When was the last time we were linked/recruited a best 22 player lock from another club? I'm guessing it was Crameri/Suckling( although he was just on the edge of best 22)?

Dry Rot
23-08-2018, 11:15 PM
When was the last time we were linked/recruited a best 22 player lock from another club? I'm guessing it was Crameri/Suckling( although he was just on the edge of best 22)?

Yesterday. I saw some discussion on BigFooty about trading for Taberner from Freo.

Won't that be good?

chef
23-08-2018, 11:35 PM
No..

Mofra
24-08-2018, 10:10 AM
Gaff’s a free agent so WC have no trade currency with him anyway - if he wants to go to North on big coin that’s where he’ll end up.
He's an RFA - I guess the match and get North's first rounder considering they have Thomas to bid for at the draft anyway.

Twodogs
24-08-2018, 10:31 AM

I know Trengove was playing in the seconds at Port but he was best 22 and Port threw the tots out of the cot when they found out he had committed to us, I hope Port are pleased with the stance they took because it cost them the elimination final last year, if Trengove had of played they would have beaten West Coast. And was Crozier playing seniors at Freo wasn't he?

EasternWest
24-08-2018, 10:51 AM
I know Trengove was playing in the seconds at Port but he was best 22 and Port threw the tots out of the cot when they found out he had committed to us, I hope Port are pleased with the stance they took because it cost them the elimination final last year, if Trengove had of played they would have beaten West Coast. And was Crozier playing seniors at Freo wasn't he?

To be fair, a lot of question marks were hanging over those guys after their first few weeks with us, but they've got better and better as the year has gone on.

Particularly Crozier, he's been excellent. Trengove is a bit of a junk yard dog that tries his guts out, but Crozier can seriously play.

ledge
24-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Crozier very under rated and probably bought up in a development that didn’t suit him.
He is an extremely good player who our recruiters wanted in front of Clay Smith but Macca over ruled.
Watch him over the next few years could be one of our best.

EasternWest
24-08-2018, 10:54 AM
Crozier very under rated and probably bought up in a development that didn’t suit him.
He is an extremely good player who our recruiters wanted in front of Clay Smith but Macca over ruled.

Yeah but no regrets over recruiting Smith :).

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Not unless you regret a premiership

EasternWest
24-08-2018, 12:29 PM
Not unless you regret a premiership

Je regrette rien.

ledge
24-08-2018, 02:05 PM

No regrets whatsoever loved Clay from day One.

The bulldog tragician
24-08-2018, 07:12 PM

(apologies to Dr Suess)

Too perfectly groomed.
Emotionless.

So..............

Anyone with me?

I call him LEGO man.

Twodogs
24-08-2018, 07:47 PM

(apologies to Dr Suess)

Too perfectly groomed.
Emotionless.

So..............

Anyone with me?

"You just can't go around killing people"
"Why not? I'm a terminator"

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2018, 07:54 PM
Redpath to retire

azabob
24-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Redpath to retire

Where did you hear that?

bulldogsthru&thru
24-08-2018, 08:03 PM
Where did you hear that?

Channel 7

bulldogtragic
24-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Biggs, Redders & Smith all gone before round 23. Dahl seemingly gone before round 23 too.

Roughy & Wally in doubt, Roberts, Campbell & HC in the gun.

We are going to have quite the salary cap. Maybe a Lynch & Gaff double signing...

ledge
24-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Two of our hard nuts gone due to injury , hopefully we have hard nut players in mind.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 10:51 AM
There's scuttlebutt that we are looking to get Jarryd Roughead on board to initially play a season or two and then move into a coaching role ala Sam Mitchell....Would be great for Schache and Boyd to learn from.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 10:56 AM
There's scuttlebutt that we are looking to get Jarryd Roughead on board to initially play a season or two and then move into a coaching role ala Sam Mitchell....Would be great for Schache and Boyd to learn from.

A club captain, and their heart and soul, being generously 'let go' would surely result in holy hell for Hawthorn. I love the idea don't get me wrong, but I just can't see how that happens.

Out of interest, where's the scuttlebutt coming from?

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 11:08 AM
A club captain, and their heart and soul, being generously 'let go' would surely result in holy hell for Hawthorn. I love the idea don't get me wrong, but I just can't see how that happens.

Out of interest, where's the scuttlebutt coming from?

There was a rumour about Rough and Bevo having a meeting on BF about a month ago. It's resurfaced lately due to both Rough mentioning he wants to coach and Clarko on 360 yesterday saying he'd be open to letting Rough do a Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis type thing

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 11:10 AM
There was a rumour about Rough and Bevo having a meeting on BF about a month ago. It's resurfaced lately due to both Rough mentioning he wants to coach and Clarko on 360 yesterday saying he'd be open to letting Rough do a Hodge/Mitchell/Lewis type thing

Hmm. Interesting more. Thanks for that. I guess that all but secures them Tom Lynch and maybe even Shiel then. Win-Win.

Maybe Jordan Roughead wants to stay as the back up ruckman to maybe play with his cousin...

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Hmm. Interesting more. Thanks for that. I guess that all but secures them Tom Lynch and maybe even Shiel then. Win-Win.

Maybe Jordan Roughead wants to stay as the back up ruckman to maybe play with his cousin...
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl360/afl-2018-hawthorn-coach-alastair-clarkson-encourages-skipper-jarryd-roughead-to-explore-all-footy-future-options/news-story/a04828fea46d80fd4811fa697782d682

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 11:31 AM
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl360/afl-2018-hawthorn-coach-alastair-clarkson-encourages-skipper-jarryd-roughead-to-explore-all-footy-future-options/news-story/a04828fea46d80fd4811fa697782d682

So he's very, very gettable, and not going to cost much trade wise. That's worthy of the most serious consideration. A mature, experienced player, a leader, a goal kicker and a good footy brain to help other forwards and then coach them. Again, interesting.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 11:49 AM
So he's very, very gettable, and not going to cost much trade wise. That's worthy of the most serious consideration. A mature, experienced player, a leader, a goal kicker and a good footy brain to help other forwards and then coach them. Again, interesting.

It is. I suppose Carlton with Bolton would take a serious look too but hopefully Bevo can work his magic. I still think it's unlikely he will depart from the Hawks though.

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 11:56 AM
It is. I suppose Carlton with Bolton would take a serious look too but hopefully Bevo can work his magic. I still think it's unlikely he will depart from the Hawks though.

Yep, he certainly bleeds for them. But Clarkson just told every other 17 clubs that they can pick up Roughead for virtually nothing, providing he gets a coaching gig afterwards. That's not a talking point, that's an aggressive sales pitch and offer to invite conversations with Hawthorn and Rougheads manager. I guess we sit and watch to the trade window whether he quits and stays there as an assistant coach or whether he thinks he has good footy in him and wants to keep playing. Hawthorn by media reports are chasing Lynch & Shiel very hard. They need his salary freed up. Seems weird to be talking about it when you're in the finals and the player in question is your captain.

KT31
28-08-2018, 04:27 PM
I like the idea of Roughie, but we would have to seriously look at how we managed him.
Rest every five or so games and limited interstate trips.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 04:30 PM
I like the idea of Roughie, but we would have to seriously look at how we managed him.
Rest every five or so games and limited interstate trips.

Plus how do you fit him in a side with Schache, Boyd, English and Trengove?

ledge
28-08-2018, 04:52 PM
I just heard on SEN he isn’t going anywhere and will be in gold and brown next year.

Bulldog4life
28-08-2018, 04:58 PM
I just heard on SEN he isn’t going anywhere and will be in gold and brown next year.

Of course he will.

bulldogsthru&thru
28-08-2018, 05:07 PM

was it something like "as it stands, Roughie will be in brown and gold next year"? ;)

i think he will too, but it wouldnt surprise me if he wasn't....

azabob
28-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Mitch McGovern offically has requested a trade from Adelaide

bulldogtragic
28-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Mitch McGovern offically has requested a trade from Adelaide

... To Western Bulldogs?

azabob
28-08-2018, 08:44 PM
... To Western Bulldogs?

Maybe? You tell me...