PDA

View Full Version : Wallis: "I'm certain I want to stay at the Bulldogs"

bornadog
01-07-2018, 05:02 PM
link (https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/07/01/wallis-im-certain-i-want-to-stay-at-the-bulldogs/)

https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/6vAB34cPXquoCMWy86Igaa/d5b6b4926a65f3d81803ca6d912242cf/Mitch_Wallis.jpg?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces

Out of contract Western Bulldogs midfielder Mitch Wallis has stated he wants to remain with the club, despite a lack of opportunities this year.

Wallis has been linked to several clubs, including Brisbane (https://sen.lu/2MeHpwJ) and Essendon, but is adamant he wants to remain at Whitten Oval.

“I’m certain that I want to stay,” he told Future Stars.

“We’re in constant chats, but I think my main priority right now is to keep this momentum going because it has been a little bit of a disappointing year.

“I can say I can see myself at the Bulldogs for a very long time.”is week - David King

Wallis said everything that can be done to get a deal together is being done, but understands there’s a chance he may have to look elsewhere.

“I don’t have a timeline to be honest. I know I have a future in the game and I hope it’s at the Bulldogs. We’re in constant talks and we’re going to get it done,” he said.

Wallis sees himself as an inside midfielder, but is happy to sacrifice his role to help younger players develop.
“Obviously I’m an inside midfielder, but I don’t mind going forward and Luke Beveridge is big on us being versatile,” he said.

“I just see my role as really harnessing the group and leading from the front, because we have got such a young group, there’s so much exciting talent coming through.”

You can watch the full interview with Mitch Wallis from Future Stars

GVGjr
01-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Hope he stays, I'm not sure why a deal hasn't been struck

Dancin' Douggy
01-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Hop he stays

SlimPickens
01-07-2018, 05:58 PM
Leader at the footy club. We need him to stay

bornadog
01-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Leader at the footy club. We need him to stay

Should be captain

The Doctor
01-07-2018, 06:03 PM
I'm certain I want him to stay at the Bulldogs

Flamethrower
01-07-2018, 06:12 PM
I keep hearing from members of the media about how Mitch has been "out of favour" and "languishing in the 2nds". Talk about fake news....Mitch has played 10 of 14 games in the senior team. I would be shattered if he isn't playing with us next season.

chef
01-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Should be captain

Nope. The Bont should be captain.

chef
01-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Hope Wally stays. Not sure hes a best 22 player if everyone is fit though.

Bulldog4life
01-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Wally is a bulldog through and through as well as being a very good player. I really hope Wal stays.

Eastdog
01-07-2018, 08:38 PM
Same sentiments here. I hope Mitch stays. Very good for us on Friday night. Has a lot to offer our team.

ratsmac
01-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Seems like the perfect club man in a Cross, M. Boyd kinda way.
We must sign him. I'd hate to lose him and see him play well and be loved by another club just like Crossy.

angelopetraglia
01-07-2018, 09:09 PM
Happy to hear Wally go on record with that today. Articulate, a natural leader, tenacious at the contest.

The bulldog tragician
02-07-2018, 12:18 AM
Get it done!!

macca
02-07-2018, 01:39 AM
I hope he stays. Just seeing how he puts in 100% on the field, you got to love his passion . the post game comments with BT in the dressing room really showed this place is his home. His got enough traits to be in our best 22, and he is an inside midfielder beast.

This stupid new rule, cannot dive into the ball rule because going to get pinged for holding, is going to cut short alot of inside mid careers. I see more and more players just standing over the ball now and picking it up.

I would hate AFL even more if we lost him because of these stupid points systems. I thought the points were suppose to even out the fairness of the draft ? If teams have to "shed" players to gain/lose points , then its rubbish . Sorry I don't really understand the points system, just really hope we keep the players who bleed RWB.

Mantis
02-07-2018, 10:01 AM
I love his passion and his want to remain, but all things being equal with a some what healthy list he is very much a borderline best 22 player and I don't think that we want players of his age to be in that position.

Smads57
02-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Not sure if this helps, but at the VFL game on Saturday, Wally was with his family watching his brother Josh play. Sam Power was also at the game and there was no evidence of any 'hard feelings' between Power and the Wallis family when they greeted each other.

Having said that, maybe I am reading the situation in a biased way as I also want Wally to stay....

GVGjr
02-07-2018, 07:50 PM
I love his passion and his want to remain, but all things being equal with a some what healthy list he is very much a borderline best 22 player and I don't think that we want players of his age to be in that position.

Even if we accept that he is somewhere between 17 and 24 in the pecking order the fact that his attitude is first rate and knowing that there will always be some challenges with injury and form I think with others that makes him a very valuable player for the club.

If he is prepared to fight for his position then it's worth keeping him

Twodogs
02-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Even if we accept that he is somewhere between 17 and 24 in the pecking order the fact that his attitude is first rate and knowing that there will always be some challenges with injury and form I think with others that makes him a very valuable player for the club.

Agreed. His passion and professionalism on the track won't go astray either.

AndrewP6
02-07-2018, 09:11 PM
He's absolutely required. Even if he isn't best 22 (I think he is), we need more than 22 players. I'd be gutted if he left.

Greystache
04-07-2018, 12:55 PM

I agree with that view, but does the distraction created by the media every time he's not in the seniors counterbalance those benefits? If by some miracle with have the majority of the list available next season, and Mitch is playing VFL, do we get the usual public speculation that he wants a trade or there's unrest amongst the footy department because Wallis can't get a game?

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2018, 01:07 PM
I agree with that view, but does the distraction created by the media every time he's not in the seniors counterbalance those benefits? If by some miracle with have the majority of the list available next season, and Mitch is playing VFL, do we get the usual public speculation that he wants a trade or there's unrest amongst the footy department because Wallis can't get a game?

Surely it is a sign of a strong list if there are experienced players, who aren`t getting games.

We do need players who can step up all the time.

If Mitch Wallis is prepared to fight for his position and perform at VFL level when not selected, everything else is just noise.

GVGjr
04-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Fair point Grey, but we would also run the same argument for Morris.
I think the form line for Wallis can improve and perhaps a slightly different role might help him as well.

If there is a bit of media speculation about his role, lets just cop it. It's only an issue if he falls short of the mark and I'd back him to adjust

Hotdog60
04-07-2018, 01:29 PM
I wonder if Mitch can develop as a small forward. He does alright when resting down there and is a reasonable shot at goal. Maybe not quick but he is smart and can win in close.

ledge
04-07-2018, 01:32 PM
He has qualities a few of our players don't eg reliable kick and great vision , will spot players up in the forward line, if not he is hanging around trying to make an option.
And of course he is the heart and soul of this club.
He won't be going anywhere .

Greystache
04-07-2018, 01:51 PM
Fair point Grey, but we would also run the same argument for Morris.
I think the form line for Wallis can improve and perhaps a slightly different role might help him as well.

If there is a bit of media speculation about his role, lets just cop it. It's only an issue if he falls short of the mark and I'd back him to adjust

Dale Morris turns 36 at the end of the year. He's been a champion and if he plays on and ends up in the VFL it's just a case of having played 1 year too many. The same thing happened with M Boyd and it was no big deal, especially if the player themselves handle it with grace.

Mitch Wallis will be 26 at the end of this season and coming into his prime. If he's not playing seniors it'll be a talking point. Given the way the club handles public narratives it'll be an unwelcome distraction. I'm happy to keep Wallis at the club and I think he has a bit more to offer than the MC seems to think, but wanted to point out it's not all upside keeping him.

jeemak
04-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Dale Morris turns 36 at the end of the year. He's been a champion and if he plays on and ends up in the VFL it's just a case of having played 1 year too many. The same thing happened with M Boyd and it was no big deal, especially if the player themselves handle it with grace.

Mitch Wallis will be 26 at the end of this season and coming into his prime. If he's not playing seniors it'll be a talking point. Given the way the club handles public narratives it'll be an unwelcome distraction. I'm happy to keep Wallis at the club and I think he has a bit more to offer than the MC seems to think, but wanted to point out it's not all upside keeping him.

I'd be disappointed if we compromised list management because of an inability to handle the particular situation you mention. If he's retained, but bumped down the pecking order because of the quality of the competition on the list then it shouldn't be too difficult to sell that message as a positive for the club.

If he wants to move elsewhere early in his contract term then we hold the whip hand, and we're in no worse a position than we are now from a bargaining perspective given EFC is apparently after his currently un-contracted signature.

Mofra
04-07-2018, 02:05 PM
Hope Wally stays. Not sure hes a best 22 player if everyone is fit though.
He certainly has challengers for his spot but given our injury list over the past three years I think the chances of everyone being fit are slim, especially considering we are really struggling for running players this weekend.

Mofra
04-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Morris is a different case to most though - he could add value to the list without playing much senior football simply because he is such a driver of training standards and can play as a virtual on field coach. Given he played a final with a broken leg and the grand final with a broken back he gets to make the call this year at least and I'd give him another year.

Wallis is a running player at an age we are in short supply of. I'd prefer we keep him although I thought he was gone a few weeks ago when all the rumours surfaced of larger offers from rival clubs and the Essendon link via his dad.

Personally I thought Melbourne started to turn things around the minute Daniel Cross arrived there.

Bulldog4life
04-07-2018, 04:46 PM
Morris is a different case to most though - he could add value to the list without playing much senior football simply because he is such a driver of training standards and can play as a virtual on field coach. Given he played a final with a broken leg and the grand final with a broken back he gets to make the call this year at least and I'd give him another year.

Wallis is a running player at an age we are in short supply of. I'd prefer we keep him although I thought he was gone a few weeks ago when all the rumours surfaced of larger offers from rival clubs and the Essendon link via his dad.

Personally I thought Melbourne started to turn things around the minute Daniel Cross arrived there.

Roos said exactly that too.

FrediKanoute
04-07-2018, 04:58 PM

I disagree. If he's borderline its because he hasn't been able to settle into a role. Up until he broke his leg in 2016 he was best 22 easily. I think its taken him time to get over that injury. He offers an in and under inside mid, who can get to repeat contests and affect them, as well as a mid who has the footy smarts to go forward and kick a goal. Who else can do that?

Libba - yes, but he had an ordinary 2017 and is injured in 2018, so his ability to impact next year is uncertain;
Jong - has Wallis covered for pace and is probably a better mark, but smarts? Ability to impact multiple contests?
Hunter - completely different player. He is a linking player who carries the ball
Macrae - beats Wallis on just about everything except his ability to go forward and kick a goal.
Dahlhaus - shades Wallis on the contested ball winning and impacting multiple contests, but is exposed in the middle because of his poor kicking. Isn't as effective near goal

Wallis is not a flashy player. Yes his disposal is not always fantastic, but his repeat efforts and his ability to impact the scoreboard make him a valuable member of the team. There are better players skillwise, but not many can affect a game the way he does.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-07-2018, 08:29 PM
The father/ son rule brings something special to the Dogs. Very happy to see Libba Cordy Hunter and Wallis in the red white and blue with West to follow. It is a strength that we can build on.

Raw Toast
06-07-2018, 12:43 AM
I like Wallis a lot, but agree that there is uncertainty over whether he is best 22, partly because at the moment there's quite a sizeable difference between his best and worst, which he needs to address.

At his best, Wallis is an excellent inside mid who can win lots of contested ball, make good decisions with it, and have value running forward, especially late in when games start to open up. But sometimes this year he hasn't impacted the contest, which is a problem when it occurs.

I want to keep him, but he does need to be able to live with the possibility of games in the VFL if that happens. I think his leadership (and character more generally) are really valuable. And hopefully he can embrace the challenge of staying and fighting for a spot.

In terms of our list, his lack of pace is a disadvantage, as we clearly need to bring in more speed, and we lack that with our other main mids. So I want him to stay, but can understand if he leaves.

jeemak
06-07-2018, 01:33 AM
Roos said exactly that too.

So are you suggesting we do the opposite of what Roos thinks is good?

He’s a charlatan of the highest order, always high profile, highly paid and mostly under delivering.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2018, 09:08 AM
So are you suggesting we do the opposite of what Roos thinks is good?

He’s a charlatan of the highest order, always high profile, highly paid and mostly under delivering.

Not a fan of Roos either but when he talks favourably about Crossy I am all ears.

Cyberdoggie
06-07-2018, 12:59 PM
Should be captain

I know this was the general consensus when he first joined the club, he looked captain material but why isn't he even in the leadership group?

You couldn't say it was because of his injuries, because Redpath got in after a knee reco and Wallis was already back playing.
There must be a reason that he didn't get in, which seems odd because he seems such a focussed and charismatic guy.

FrediKanoute
06-07-2018, 10:49 PM
I know this was the general consensus when he first joined the club, he looked captain material but why isn't he even in the leadership group?

You couldn't say it was because of his injuries, because Redpath got in after a knee reco and Wallis was already back playing.
There must be a reason that he didn't get in, which seems odd because he seems such a focussed and charismatic guy.

Wasn't the leadership group a popularity contest this season?

azabob
06-07-2018, 10:51 PM
Wasn't the leadership group a popularity contest this season?

It is all years.

Bulldog Joe
07-07-2018, 11:16 AM
It is all years.

It seems that it was certainly moreso this year.

We really need some true leadership and it is apparent that some players are important to that.

Look how much better we function with Dale Morris in the side.

I would think Wallis is more suited to the leadership group, than a couple we have in there currently.

Twodogs
07-07-2018, 01:01 PM
It seems that it was certainly moreso this year.

We really need some true leadership and it is apparent that some players are important to that.

Look how much better we function with Dale Morris in the side.

I would think Wallis is more suited to the leadership group, than a couple we have in there currently.

Yup. Wallis should be in the leadership group and the only reason he isn't is that some players were worried that he might make them work hard and they would prefer someone who isn't going to be so harsh on them. The leadership group has far too any "good blokes" and not enough blokes who will say the truth even though it might not be popular.

Rocket Science
07-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Yup. Wallis should be in the leadership group and the only reason he isn't is that some players were worried that he might make them work hard and they would prefer someone who isn't going to be so harsh on them. The leadership group has far too any "good blokes" and not enough blokes who will say the truth even though it might not be popular.

Is that merely a hunch or is it based on something more concrete?

I agree it's weird that someone of Wallis' work ethic and solid citizen status isn't in our leadership group.

To those who suggest lack of talent might be the reason, explain Redpath.

Twodogs
07-07-2018, 04:23 PM
Is that merely a hunch or is it based on something more concrete?

I agree it's weird that someone of Wallis' work ethic and solid citizen status isn't in our leadership group.

To those who suggest lack of talent might be the reason, explain Redpath.

Just a hunch, but a hunch that's informed by years of playing competitive sport in a team environment. It's human nature if you're given the choice between your boss being one of your mates who you think may be a bit of a soft touch or that competitive guy who's always gonna be on your back asking if you want to do extras and how your programme is going. That's how I think Wally missed out and there are a couple of surprising choices.

Maybe it's just indicative of a young group being asked to make the choice.

GVGjr
07-07-2018, 04:54 PM
I agree with TD, there is a good chance the players have selected the leaders they like not the leaders they and the club need.

They need to be challenged by their peers not just the coaches.

GVGjr
07-07-2018, 05:06 PM
Hawks are back in it but Roughy has a set shot and misses.
25 to 24

bulldogtragic
07-07-2018, 10:54 PM
I wonder if Wally's 3 goals and bucket of possessions is either turning Bevo onto keeping him, or not, but going to bring his manager bigger offers and get Sam Power and thus Bevo something he wants?

GVGjr
07-07-2018, 10:58 PM
Wallis can adjust to other roles, and we should be keeping him.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2018, 11:02 PM
Wallis can adjust to other roles, and we should be keeping him.

But we aren't signing him, and media are pretty strong he's out the door (inc. Stevo). Makes you wonder why haven't signed him and whether a game like tonight will impact the reason why we are not signing him, or just increase the free agency offers and ensure he leaves.

Sedat
07-07-2018, 11:14 PM
I wonder if Wally's 3 goals and bucket of possessions is either turning Bevo onto keeping him, or not, but going to bring his manager bigger offers and get Sam Power and thus Bevo something he wants?
I hope we keep him now. He's adding strings to his bow and responding really well to the coach's challenge to add layers to his game.

Dahl can get his 700k a season wherever he wants.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2018, 11:18 PM
I hope we keep him now. He's adding strings to his bow and responding really well to the coach's challenge to add layers to his game.

Dahl can get his 700k a season wherever he wants.

I'm not ship him the hell out. But I don't think the hold up is money or years. Which makes me wonder if his recent form can turn whomever at the club around, be it Bevo or Power? Or whether they're just happy to save the salary take a bit better compo and move on. I just honestly don't have a clue where the club is at, especially when Stevo keeps saying he's out the door.

Yep on Dahl, I think he showed Geeling to stump up some more cash to get him there. That will get us West. So it's a win-win.

Mantis
07-07-2018, 11:36 PM

Very serviceable up forward, horrible in the midfield where his inability to spread was on show.

He's a no for me.

macca
08-07-2018, 01:43 AM
If we lose Wallis because of stupid AFL "lets reduce stoppages" rule change and juggle draft points system, I would be gutted/ They are killing the inside mid type players career spans. His lack of speed, kicking depth and spread showed a few times ( so did a lot of players). You can't develop speed. Its not a skill, your born with it.

So many times tonight I saw players literally bending over and trying to pickup the ball and once someone had it, it became like a rugby scrum.

Well done AFL, you now have lifted the stoppages to be all above the player's waist.

DOG GOD
08-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Wallis has showed for mine he deserves to be at our club...hell he shouldn’t only be in the leadership group, but he should be the captain. He’s one of our better kicks for goal and he bleeds our colours. No, he’s not the most skillfull player on our list, but he busts his guts whenever he runs out, and that alone is worth its weight in gold. He’s a great mentor for younger players, and we should be signing him now.

bornadog
11-07-2018, 10:24 PM
AFL On The Mark: Bulldogs’ Mitch Wallis opens up on ‘uncomfortable’ contract negotiations (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-on-the-mark-bulldogs-mitch-wallis-opens-up-on-uncomfortable-contract-negotiations/news-story/6b8e9da6d18296dda79e2ff145718064)

WESTERN Bulldogs’ Mitch Wallis has opened up on the uncertainly of his future at the club he has grown up loving revealing he was ‘uncomfortable’ with not having a solid future.

Wallis, a father-son selection for the Bulldogs in 2010, is out of contract at the season’s end and is yet to put pen to paper on a new contract, sparking believe that the midfielder may leave the kennel.

In an interview with Fox Footy’s On The Mark, Wallis also revealed that he didn’t expect public heat from coach Luke Beveridge during the season.

“I think I probably wasn’t expecting it,” Wallis told Fox Footy’s On The Mark about Beveridge’s comments.

“It’s something you have to deal with and that’s reality. I probably didn’t have the best patch of footy before I was out of the side, so he put the heat on me and I deserve that. You take it with a grain of salt because you know he’s always got your best interests at heart and I think I responded really well.

“I’ve ticked all the boxes in term of coming back and leading the way for the young players, so it’s about taking that next step further and doing a little bit more on a consistent basis. “

The 25-year-old says he’s in a tough situation regarding his contract but wants to remain at the club he has long family ties to.

“Yeah it’s an uncomfortable feeling,” Wallis said.

“I must admit, I never thought I’d have to go through this period, I would be a bit naive from that point. Like I’ve said previously, I love the Bulldogs it’s in my blood, I’m sure we’ll come to an agreement sooner rather than later.

“The main focus for me is playing really good footy and bringing along the young players we have on our list. We have a lot of exciting young players in Ed Richards, Aaron Naughton, who have come on in leaps and bounds this year. It’s about fostering their development, and really charging forward for the rest of the year.”

Wallis also says that he is “defiant” in wanting to show form to earn another contract and was making sure that he could “stay a Western Bulldog for life”.

The midfielder also spoke about the hardship of being sidelined in the Bulldogs’ triumphant 2016 premiership season, having suffered a broken leg.

“It gets more challenging as time goes by,” he said.

“Obviously we didn’t have the year we wanted last year and reach the finals again, but during that moment I was with Bob Murphy who was going through similar emotions. So I wasn’t by myself.

“Being a Bulldogs supporter sign birth and seeing the hardships of going through the early 2000s, where wins didn’t come too often to see the club finally break the drought was just a huge emotional rollercoaster that end up on a huge high.

The son of 261 gamer Stephen, says that he was able to grow during his time on the sidelined after what was an emotional and draining time during the Grand Final week.

“I left a bit earlier (on the Sunday night after the Grand Final),” Wallis said.

“I was just drained and needed a recharge. There was a little moment in the ride home in the cab with my fiance that I knew that I missed out and I started to cry a little bit actually. That was where it hit me pretty hard.

“I developed a lot as a person, you obviously go through hardships during your lives, not only in your footballing career but other things as well and it taught me a lot of lessons about being defiant and always trying to put a positive spin on things.”

Sedat
12-07-2018, 12:15 AM
Clay Smith has left a massive void in our forward line in terms of pressure and scoreboard impact. Mitch has the tools and the determination to become a similar strong presence and leader in our forward line - God knows we need it.

macca
12-07-2018, 01:17 AM
There is a spot there for him, he just has to earn it and keep whoever out. Watching some of Clay's highlights, he was actually very nimble on his feet and when he was down at the packs, he got up very quickly. Clay was a good reader off the pack and a tackling machine.

Picken toughness and overhead marking was a treat to watch in the foreward line. Dickson is clever player and knows how to read the play unfold. Wallis has a few people he can tap on there.

I hope he stays,