PDA

View Full Version : Nicky Winmar - Julia Zemiro's Home Delivery

Dry Rot
04-07-2018, 11:48 PM
Anyone else watch Nicky Winmar on Julia Zemiro's Home Delivery tonight?

I never saw the best of Winmar. How good was he?

What position he did play?

What current day player is most like him?

EDIT: Yes, I know it should be Nicky

Twodogs
05-07-2018, 12:05 AM
I saw it. Nicky was a tradional wingman and he was bloody good. As far as current day players given that we don't really have dedicated players playing as wingmen any more it's a bit hard to say but he could play in the middle and win clearances and hit Tony Lockett on the chest from 50 metres away he could go forward and kick miracle goals himself, he was fast, he had great vision and the skillset to make the most of it and he was as tough as teak. Maybe Dustin Martin a bit.

I still hold that his injury early in the 1999 qualifying final v West Coast at the MCG really cost us. That night his balance and safe ball handling in those conditions would have been deadly near goal for us.

Dry Rot
05-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Hey TwoDogs, could you please fix the thread title for me?

Twodogs
05-07-2018, 12:57 AM
Hey TwoDogs, could you please fix the thread title for me?

Sure thing. What do you want it changed too? Nicky Winmar?

Dry Rot
05-07-2018, 12:58 AM
Sure thing. What do you want it changed too? Nicky Winmar?

Yes, that would be great. Thanks mate.

boydogs
05-07-2018, 01:09 AM
He was an old school wingman, 70m player who could run and kick long. Think Peter Matera or JJ

bornadog
05-07-2018, 10:00 AM
I missed it but will watch.

You can catch up on ABC iview here (https://iview.abc.net.au/show/julia-zemiros-home-delivery)

Rocket Science
05-07-2018, 01:58 PM
Probably less than helpful comparing him to a player of the same era but he was Mick McLean with more in-tight dance moves and a nose for the big sticks.

Hard running, clever in the air, courageous as hell and when the mood struck could grab a game by the scruff.

Murphy'sLore
05-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Never saw him play but always admired the famous gesture on the ground.

He must have been a hell of a player if he was picking up B&Fs as a 15 year old against grown men. Sounds as if he copped racist abuse throughout his career, which is such a shame.

Axe Man
05-07-2018, 02:45 PM
When he played his final year for us it was as a forward from memory? I loved watching him up close at Princes Park as I usually stood around forward pocket / half forward for our home games there. Was a great mark for his size.

Twodogs
05-07-2018, 03:39 PM
When he played his final year for us it was as a forward from memory? I loved watching him up close at Princes Park as I usually stood around forward pocket / half forward for our home games there. Was a great mark for his size.

Correct.

When we recruited him the club assigned him a minder, a bloke called Oberon Pirak, and gave Nicky a mobile with Oberon's phone number in it and was told if he had any questions or got into any trouble before he said anything take the phone out and press the button that said 'Oberon' next to it.

Anyway a couple of days after Nicky arrived the phone goes off in Oberon's pocket and it being a Saturday night Oberon thinks "oh oh" fumbles the phone out of his pocket and answers it with "Nicky is everything OK?" "Yeah sure is. Hey I'm in the video shop and I can't decide between a western or a war film, what do you think I should get?":D

Rocket Science
05-07-2018, 03:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNST_eHmRHg

You'll enjoy this more with the sound off.

The Underdog
05-07-2018, 04:32 PM
Winmar was a brilliant footballer. Balanced and classy and could take a screamer with the best of them. When I was young we had a family friend who barracked for St Kilda and she’d take me to saints games (because I was a footy nut who’d watch anything). I remember him taking a screamer against the Tigers at Moorabin that I swear to this day was better than SOS’s mark against the Pies a week later. But given it was 1988, I’m not sure the game was even covered on TV.
It’s also possible my presence at the game elevated the mark above it’s true status but I remember it as an absolute gem.