PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned, edition XVI 2018 v Hawthorn at Marvel stadium formerly known as Etihad.

Twodogs
07-07-2018, 08:10 PM
Give us your best three things that you weren't aware of before the game.

Alright make it four then if you must!

bulldogtragic
07-07-2018, 10:44 PM
1. Lynch might just be another gem from the rookie list. Will continue to get better for the game time.
2. Boyd (the ruck) get out worked by big long serving AFEL rucks in Goldstein two weeks ago and McEvoy tonight. So guess what we will do against Melbourne next week. No change to his role or brining in another ruckman...
3. Pick 5 isn't much consolation right now. This last half is embarrassing and the kid we pick may have no chance to even succeed if they play forward of 50.

westbulldog
07-07-2018, 11:43 PM
1. Naughton is better in the back half
2. Lynch again shows good signs.
3. We need another ruck to give Boyd a chop out.

EasternWest
08-07-2018, 12:16 AM
1. Lynch looks like McLean and Cordy had a kid together.

I like what I see of him. Don't mind that he gets caught trying to make something happen. Provided he learns from it.

macca
08-07-2018, 12:35 AM
1. We need to find another avenue for backhalf drive when JJ gets chopped. 24 possessions at half time, and then 4 at 3 QTR time. I hope Lynch keeps trying with his drive. IF he pus on some size, he would be another nice find from the rookie list. Please persist with him for the rest of the year.
2. We are a young team, and there would be many lessons learnt tonight from the second half. Its like the first half was what we could bring at our best, and second half was the distance we leave when the opposition over runs us.
3. When Hawks clear our forward zone, its easy goals. It maybe also the state of the game now, where opposition teams are just waiting for us to make a mistake , to score on the rebound.
4. What are we trying to do with Biggs? Playing him in the forward half?

bornadog
08-07-2018, 12:45 AM
1. We really miss Libba and Macrae in the midfield - Dahl is inconsistent and not helping the situation.

2. The Bont is struggling and can only play in bursts

3. The kids really tried hard, but alas they are running out of petrol.

Mantis
08-07-2018, 01:46 AM
1/ Cordy isn't a forwards ass... He was doing ok in defence, but he and Morris and very alike so it's one or the other.
2/ I can't work out why our no.1 ruck can only play the first 3-4 minutes in the ruck at the start of the 1st & 3rd qtr.. So I didn't learn anything here.
3/ Our work-rate in the 2nd half was embarrassingly bad.. But so many of those players shouldn't be wearing our colours.

ledge
08-07-2018, 02:19 AM
Boyd was awesome in first half but can't do it all on his own a full game.
Once we get stage fright we stop dead
Umpiring was atrocious and I hope Bevo has a coffee with Gil this week.

ratsmac
08-07-2018, 09:58 AM
1. Bevo can be out coached. His game plan leaves us wide open against teams with good foot skills. We get killed on the counterattack so many times. I say out coached because it continues to happen week after week season after season no matter what personnel we have out on the park. Although simple skill errors are coach killers in Bevo's defense.

2. All I all our injuries have forced our hand on many team selections. Call it list management or mismanagement but our cupboard is bare and we have been forced to play a young inexperienced team where there are a number of players gifted games when they aren't up to it. This kind of result with drop offs in intensity and concentration is sort of expected. Played well in the first half though.

3. The Bont is human. He is struggling to shoulder bringing the whole team with him to the extent that it is affecting his own form. He looks a little bit burdened much like Wood with the captaincy. It's a difficult job especially when we are in bad form.

westbulldog
08-07-2018, 11:52 AM
1/ Cordy isn't a forwards ass... He was doing ok in defence, but he and Morris and very alike so it's one or the other.
2/ I can't work out why our no.1 ruck can only play the first 3-4 minutes in the ruck at the start of the 1st & 3rd qtr.. So I didn't learn anything here.
3/ Our work-rate in the 2nd half was embarrassingly bad.. But so many of those players shouldn't be wearing our colours.

I would say "a couple", "so many" is a bit harsh imo.

merantau
08-07-2018, 12:05 PM
1. The second half turn around are alarming.
2. Campbell could be the next big thing in ekerdom.
3. Skill errors are killing us. Lack of clean hands and precision by hand and foot is like driving a car with the hand break on.

Mofra
08-07-2018, 12:52 PM
1. The cupboard is bare. Nobody at VFL level played well enough to demand selection. Roberts solid, Young pretty good, Rougy and Campbell offered little outside of tapwork.

2. Our midfield is in strife. We're getting killed in the centre and asking too few to do too much.

3. Bont's hip is getting worse. Long term damage must be a concern at this point.