PDA

View Full Version : Tributes to Clay Smith -you done us proud.

merantau
09-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Gone at 25 but forever remembered. Saw your first game - 4 goals on debut in a losing side from memory ( which is a bit iffy these days!)
We owe you a huge debt of thanks Clay for what you did for our Club. The pain of those injuries and the long road back must have been very tough at times. But your character passed the test and, with the help of others, you triumphed.
Your contribution to our 2016 finals campaign was EPIC.
You would not be denied. You cracked in as always like a man possessed. Willing yourself to every contest. You were under great emotional stress having lost a great mate. Your mental toughness to the fore, you got through to the end - a Premiership player.
Thanks Clay - for everything. Best wishes for all you plan to do after football. You got to the top of the mountain and I'm sure you enjoyed the view. As I've been writing this scenes of your play in 2016 have been running on a loop through my mind's eye. These scenes will never fade from the collective memory of the Bulldog faithful. They are your gift to us, Clay, and we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

dukedog
09-07-2018, 05:23 PM
One of the hardest at it footy players I've seen In a long time.... If he didn't have a bad knee. He would be feared by every club. Probably won us a grand final from getting us past GWS. No doubt he succeeds in life after footy. I'd definately buy that man a beer a the pub. Good luck fella.

Jeanette54
09-07-2018, 05:40 PM
In spite of the constant knee injuries, you achieved so much in such a short time, so sorry to see you retire.

I am sure that with your demonstrated determination and all the years ahead of you, that you will go on to success in whichever field that you choose in life.

Thanks Clay, it was a privilege to watch you play.

DOG GOD
09-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Thank you for your years at the Western Bulldogs Clay. Your performances in the QF and GF 2016 will forever be etched in my memory. I’m sorry that injury has cut short your career, but you have the ultimate..a premiership player.

Congratulations once again, and all the best to you in the future.

bornadog
09-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Nice one Clay.

http://youtu.be/CPZJsg1jz7w

chef
09-07-2018, 07:39 PM
Nice one Clay.

youtu.be/CPZJsg1jz7w

Nice.

bornadog
09-07-2018, 08:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DhpOrGBUcAIm_cZ.jpg

Remi Moses
09-07-2018, 09:00 PM
Wow! Up here in Cairns and got AFL 360 on, and not even worth a comment from Robinson or Whateley!

comrade
09-07-2018, 09:20 PM
Wow! Up here in Cairns and got AFL 360 on, and not even worth a comment from Robinson or Whateley!

No disrespect meant here but when Daniel Menzel retires, he’ll get his own tv special.

kruder
09-07-2018, 09:31 PM
Do we win the prelim without Clay? I don't think anyone will forget that game and Clays contribution. Thanks for your efforts!

Sedat
09-07-2018, 09:36 PM
No disrespect meant here but when Daniel Menzel retires, he’ll get his own tv special.
Going to smash the pricks on Twitter. Disgusting lack of respect.

LostDoggy
09-07-2018, 09:48 PM
We should retire the number 14.

chef
09-07-2018, 09:51 PM
Going to smash the pricks on Twitter. Disgusting lack of respect.

Are we surprised though?

bulldogsthru&thru
09-07-2018, 10:03 PM

Couldn’t give a crap what the meaningless afl media or even wider afl community think of one player vs another. What others say or don’t say doesn’t change anything about him or what he achieved. We all know and everyone in the club knows that Clay was a heart and soul player who achieved far more than most in his situation would have. Him being a premiership player after 3 knee recos is a testament to his perseverance and determination. Absolute relentless competitive beast who never once left anything out on the field. We don’t win the 2016 flag without him and like others have said, the whole team walked taller with him on the field. He could have been anything if not for his injuries and yet despite them still managed to finish his career as a champion. You will be missed Clay.

Bulldog Revolution
09-07-2018, 10:29 PM
Thanks Clay - we were always a better team when he was up and about

Selfless with his body, the way he would throw himself about, no regard for a body that had already suffered more than any should

He retires a Bullgod - so many players have had better luck with injury, but not many have a glorious month upon which to reflect.

You will always be at home at the Bulldogs Clay - I look forward to teaching my grand kids (and thats a long way off) about your heroics

bornadog
09-07-2018, 10:35 PM
From Clay to members

https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs/status/1016192725195116544

bulldogtragic
09-07-2018, 10:39 PM
2016 Finals Record:

4 Games
4 Wins (100% winning record)
1 Premiership

Liam Picken (Best In Finals Award) vs Clay Smith

8.0 ----- 8.1 - Total Scores
1 Goal Assist ----- 2 Total Goal Assists
3.0 clearances ----- 3.5 clearances average a final
3.5 tackles ------- 9.2 tackles average a final
5 contested marks ----- 3 Total Contested Marks
6 marks ----- 3 marks average a final
23.1 disposals ------ 18.5 disposals average a final
43 contested, 49 uncontested (-6) ------ 39 contested, 35 uncontested disposals total (+4)
5 X 1%'s ----- 6 X 1 %'s

That's one hell of a record to proudly look back upon in the years ahead. Arguably the second best in finals for the WBFC in a 4 game premiership campaign, not to mention key moments and crucial goals.

When the going got tough at the club and physically personally, these guys worked harder and longer and got tougher again. Others quit to go to the GWS. Smith showed the quitter in person what tougher, harder and longer was in a moment that handed us a huge prelim win. One was a true leader that night, the other a true ex-captain that couldn't do the hard things when it came to it. Not to mention Smith bled for this club in a way that others haven't. He will never have to buy a beer in a pub ever again if he's near a die hard members/fans that understand spiritually, physically and statistically how important, crucial even, he was in this premiership.

westbulldog
10-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Many players are remembered for long and distinguished careers. Clay Smith will be remembered for a relatively short but no less distinguished career. A gracious young bloke who was as tough as nails and a committed bulldog as any. To overcome his adversity with injuries simply stamps his determination and quality as a person. He retires as a premiership player, a respected one at that. Best of luck for everything in your future Clay.

bulldogtragic
10-07-2018, 02:10 PM
Many players are remembered for long and distinguished careers. Clay Smith will be remembered for a relatively short but no less distinguished career. A gracious young bloke who was as tough as nails and a committed bulldog as any. To overcome his adversity with injuries simply stamps his determination and quality as a person. He retires as a premiership player, a respected one at that. Best of luck for everything in your future Clay.

Footy history and our footy clubs history is littered with 150-250 game players that were very good long term players, but on the big stage of cut throat finals shit themselves under pressure (ie Gary Rohan). Clay can know that when pressure came a knocking, even when tragedy before the GWS game too, he played the best footy of his entire career in a campaign of four cut throat finals. I’d take that over 200 mediocre games and going missing in big finals. Clay’s career in games tally didn’t burn long, but it burned ever so bright when the games were do or die. And he did, and with his team mates left an achievement for the ages, and income for the club to get out of debt. Our history isn’t choc full of players who elevated their games in September, so he’s in rare company. Where he deserves to be.

The Pie Man
10-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Are we surprised though?

I was a little last night - club I follow aside, thought it was a significant story.

Yet on Saturday Ch 7 didn’t bother with Bevo’s presser and trying to find an update on Naughton’s ankle was way harder than it should’ve been.

How quickly we became irrelevant again.

Deserved better Clay

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
10-07-2018, 03:24 PM
I wasn't especially thrilled with his selection in the draft....but he won me over in spite of his awkward kicking style. His desire, intent and physical commitment on field were off the charts.
I'll never forget his level of play during the 2016 finals. As others have remarked here, he was a very large factor in getting that elusive flag, especially during the Hawks and GWS games.
I'd been hoping he could get over his knee ordeals and get back on field; we could sure use his unyielding commitment on field right now to light a beacon for others to follow.

Saddened by, but understand his decision to call it a day.
Thank-you for giving everything you had Clay.

bornadog
10-07-2018, 03:33 PM
Now this is pressure:

Most tackles in a finals series

42 - Lenny Hayes - 2010
38 - CLAY SMITH - 2016
34 - Ryan O'Keefe - 2012
33 - Luke Parker - 2016
32 - Alan Toovey - 2010
30 - Jude Bolton - 2005

bornadog
10-07-2018, 03:39 PM
Player tributes to Clay:

Read here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-07-10/thanksclay-players-pay-tribute)

Sedat
10-07-2018, 04:37 PM
I was a little last night - club I follow aside, thought it was a significant story.

Yet on Saturday Ch 7 didn’t bother with Bevo’s presser and trying to find an update on Naughton’s ankle was way harder than it should’ve been.

How quickly we became irrelevant again.

Deserved better Clay
He sure did. Footy Classified did a really nice tribute on him and Talking Footy gave a little one as well. But Fox Footy completely fresh-aired him on both 360 and On the Couch last night. The same Fox Footy that gave Dan Menzel his own prime time special.

It was complete and utter shit by Fox Footy.

Remi Moses
10-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Far to busy asking one of the whinge twins loaded questions on Ablett’s selfishness.
Gerard asked Scott about Mooney commenting on him not being a team player .
Pretty predictable response

angelopetraglia
10-07-2018, 05:59 PM
Clay will be on Bob's podcast "Freedom in a cage" ... should be a good listen. Out tomorrow morning.

bornadog
10-07-2018, 06:04 PM
Clay will be on Bob's podcast "Freedom in a cage" ... should be a good listen. Out tomorrow morning.

Great a day early

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
11-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Very sad I was looking forward to him coming back

bornadog
12-07-2018, 12:14 PM
Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lSMoHMd1ME

bornadog
18-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Al's Tribute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umuIP-uWN2c&feature=push-u&attr_tag=0ZOMo3MOdepVJfcd-6