PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations 100 Games - Jason Johannisen

bornadog
09-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Starting from a young age as a rookie, JJ has proven to be a great player off HBF (he ain't no forward Bevo).

Eastdog
10-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Hasn’t been the best recently but gee when he is at his best is run off half back is lethal. Was great seeing that on display on Saturday in the first half.

Congrats JJ.

westbulldog
10-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Congratulations JJ, from a rookie to a Norm Smith medallist, a great achievement. Continue to run and stun JJ, all the best for your 100th game.

S Coast Simon
10-07-2018, 09:19 PM
Congratulations JJ fantastic achievement from rookie to where you are now.

merantau
10-07-2018, 09:28 PM
Well done JJ. Back to your blistering best. Keep on running bro.

Axe Man
12-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Johannisen to take the reins (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-07-12/johannisen-to-take-the-reins)

Jason Johannisen will return to the scene of his greatest triumph on Saturday in his 100th game, and as captain, for the Bulldogs’ clash with the Demons at the MCG, the Club confirmed on Thursday.

The 25-year-old was set to share the stage with current captain Marcus Bontempelli but a burst appendix on Tuesday will leave him stranded on 99 games for at least the next two weeks.

Bontempelli’s absence makes way for the Johannesburg native to take the reins; a phone call from coach Luke Beveridge confirming as much on Wednesday afternoon.

He’ll be the Club’s fourth captain this season after Easton Wood, also missing with injury, Bontempelli, and Lachie Hunter, who led the side the last time both captain and vice-captain were missing.

Johannisen has played every game this year, averaging 20 disposals, four marks and two tackles, and in last week’s game against Hawthorn matched his season high disposal count in a half, picking up 25 to go along with almost 500 metres gained.

It’s been a some journey for the Rugby convert who won a Norm Smith Medal in his 64th game.

Born in South Africa, Johannisen’s parents Eldria and Sonya moved Perth when he was seven, when a cousin introduced him to the oval ball game, eventually suiting up for the Willeton Blues Aussie Rules team as a fill in.

The rest, as they say, is history.

bornadog
12-07-2018, 03:47 PM
Good for JJ to take on the captaincy and some responsibility

Eastdog
12-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Good luck with the captaincy this week JJ. He was very good last week particularly in that 1st half. That dash was back!

LostDoggy
12-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Congratulations on getting to 100 games JJ and being captain as well. Hope all goes well!

Mofra
12-07-2018, 10:18 PM
If he can get anything close to his form of last week's first half back he'll do well. 500m gained in a half is insane.

Axe Man
13-07-2018, 01:00 PM
Busting the tag: First-time skipper speaks (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-13/busting-the-tag-firsttime-skipper-speaks#/)

FIRST-TIME Western Bulldogs skipper Jason Johannisen says he's more equipped to beat future tags after he "conceded" last week against Hawthorn.

In the absence of Marcus Bontempelli (appendix) and captain Easton Wood (hamstring), Johannisen will take the reins for Saturday's clash with Melbourne at the MCG.

Ahead of the clash, which also doubles as his 100th game, Johannisen has spent the week working on his deficiencies.

Last week against Hawthorn, Johannisen was shut out of the Bulldogs' second-half capitulation. It is not the first time he has been tagged out of a game.

Against the Hawks, he amassed 25 disposals in a blistering opening half, but Harry Morrison reduced him to seven touches after the main break as Hawthorn booted 12 of the last 14 goals.

"I thought I had a lot of impact in the first half and unfortunately dropped away," Johannisen told AFL.com.au.

"Looking at the vision with (defensive coach) Steven King, there's some ways I can stay involved in the game, so I'm going to look forward to bringing that this week.

"Probably using my strengths a bit more, I conceded a little bit (last week). I'm going to use my speed and my work rate to push to as many contests as I can to try and impact."

The Norm Smith medallist is averaging 20 disposals from all 15 games this season after being used in a variety of roles, including across half-forward.

A number of clubs physically targeted Johannisen last season after his feats in the 2016 premiership.

Ahead of Saturday's milestone, the 25-year-old reflected on a journey from a shy East Fremantle rookie, to leading his football club on the big stage.

"When I first came here (Whitten Oval) I didn't think I could play one game. I didn't really feel like I belonged here. I was such a raw player," Johannisen said.

"Coming into this football club, I never thought it could happen. Even to play one game and now 100 and captain, it will be really special.

"A lot of people have supported me, especially (assistant coach) Rohan Smith, he's someone who's really helped my development and he was able to get me to the next level."

The Dogs will meet Melbourne for the second time in six weeks. Johannisen identified limiting the inside ball as crucial to stopping the Demons.

It will be the first time on the MCG for the Dogs this season, and just their third game at the venue since the 2016 flag.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Congratulations on JJ’s 100 games. A real milestone. Personally I would have liked the Club to honour Dale Morris with his great service with the Captaincy replacing the Bont for the next 3 matches. This would have been a truly inspirational move and a real team lifter.

Smads57
13-07-2018, 07:44 PM
All the best JJ in game 100....

Bulldog4life
14-07-2018, 10:23 AM
Congrats to JJ. He has come a long way. A very important member of our side.

Eastdog
15-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Was pretty good in his 100th game as stand in captain. Kicked 2 nice goals.

azabob
16-07-2018, 11:30 AM
JJ stepped up. Clearly likes the big stage and the wide spaces of the G.

Leave him at half back and floating wingman during certain times of the game.