PDA

View Full Version : Bevo lashes out at Barrett

The bulldog tragician
17-07-2018, 07:16 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-17/bevo-slams-disgraceful-sliding-doors-column

LUKE Beveridge has labelled AFL.com.au's Sliding Doors column "disgraceful" for inferring the Western Bulldogs may have fabricated a back injury to Tom Boyd.

Contributor and long-time journalist Damian Barrett surmised in his weekly column: "IF back soreness is the real reason Boyd is not playing this weekend … THEN that's a shame. Would've liked to have seen him up against Gawn. Instead, (Jordan) Roughead, who Bevo has developed a set against, will go up against a guy who may be the best ruckman in the game."

Boyd has had a well-documented battle with mental health issues over the past 12 months, and only returned to the senior side in round five after being sidelined with the condition since the middle of last year.

Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, a fired-up Beveridge wasn't mincing his words when asked about the column, dismissing the claim and declaring Boyd would have gone head-to-head with Gawn if fit.

Boyd will need to pass a fitness test to prove he's right to make the flight to Perth to take on the Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday

"I think (the column is) disgraceful," Beveridge said.

"With mental health such a significantly sensitive issue in our game, for (Barrett) to infer we were making up (Boyd's) injury and that there is something else wrong, and why (he) would even go there, just shows what we're dealing with.

"Whoever contracts and employs (Barrett), I'm inquisitive to know what the driver is from a moralistic point of view, and a contentious point of view - there's not much there.

'We've been really happy with a 22-year-old developing ruckman who potentially, as we move into mid-twenties, will be an operational and damaging key forward – that would be outstanding.

"He found himself in a week where he was sore, out for a week and hopefully back in (against West Coast), there's a chance we'll play that 50-50 approach with 'Roughy' (in the ruck and attack).

"We've got to get through match committee and work that out."

Beveridge also hit back at Barrett over his questioning of his relationship with Jordan Roughead, a player who has largely out of favour this season and a free agent at season's end.

The 2016 premiership coach then went on to query the role the award-winning journalist played in a recent Triple M scandal that cost Barry Hall his job with the network after the former Bulldog's comments about fellow commentator Leigh Montagna's wife.

"Even insinuating that 'Roughy' and I have relationship issues, and I'm throwing him under the bus by playing him against Gawn, is divisive," Beveridge said.

"He wriggled himself out of (the Triple M) situation when it comes to equality and the fairer sex, and now jumps into hot water when it comes to mental health."

The Western Bulldogs and Barrett had a meeting earlier in the season to work out the differences two parties have had in recent times.

Go_Dogs
17-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Would've been good to say our Club doesn't read that trash, but given the implacation of the article probably had to say what he did.

GVGjr
17-07-2018, 07:29 PM
Well done to Bevo and the club for calling out this arsehole and his vendetta against us.
Very proud that we have answered back in the manner we did.

bulldogtragic
17-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Like it. But we need to stop now before he tries to bring us into an ongoing tit for tat.

Rocket Science
17-07-2018, 07:42 PM
I wondered if his latest 'act' would pass without a reaction.

Part of me is peeved our senior coach is even bothering to pause to pick this turd off the bottom of his boot ... but the other part of me applauds him for being prepared to call this shit out. Barrett's jibe, on an official AFEL platform no less, was pathetic and transparently malicious.

What an ornament to your industry you are Damo that you're comfortable trading off the wellbeing of a young player to hurl baseless shit at a perceived adversary.

That Barrett's a bottom feeder shocks nobody, but he's emblematic in a multitude of ways of prominent sections of the rank media culture that covers the game, and it needs to change.

GVGjr
17-07-2018, 07:44 PM
Like it. But we need to stop now before he tries to bring us into an ongoing tit for tat.

Agreed, whack him hard once and distance yourself from him

SonofScray
17-07-2018, 07:53 PM
Who is going to be the first wet towel to tut-tut at Bevo I wonder? I'd be disappointed if that occurs. This is just one of those scenarios where you stand behind your own and should an olive branch appear, beat your adversary to death with it.

While it's a deeply personal vendetta, I doubt it is a distraction from the work of the coach to provide comment. Back our man.

ratsmac
17-07-2018, 08:26 PM
Ha. Good on ya Bevo. I love Bevo's little slap when he brought up Barretts involvement in the Barry Hall inappropriate radio comments. Gold.

G-Mo77
17-07-2018, 08:43 PM

Why stop, finish him off. Beat the living shit out.of the little weasel. I'd be happy to put my hand up and do it.

Dry Rot
17-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Can someone please explain when and how Barrett got some sort of reputation for being a serious journalist?

Rocket Science
17-07-2018, 08:56 PM
Can someone please explain when and how Barrett got some sort of reputation for being a serious journalist?

He does?

I'm more interested in why the AFEL would sanction his unique brand of gutter trawling.

Remi Moses
17-07-2018, 10:22 PM
Complete bottom feeder . Complete Grub
Played a role in the Triple M Barry Hall shocker
Made a grovelling limp apology also ,and agree with others in not engaging tit for tat with this bottom feeder
How he derides a wage is mindboggling

ledge
17-07-2018, 10:37 PM
I heard SOS gave the footy classified crew a good blast , hope that included Barrett, he is slowly running out of clubs who talk to him.
I thought journos job was to report the news not make it.

jeemak
17-07-2018, 11:13 PM
I would actually like Bevo, if asked about his comments on Barrett, say these exact words:

"I'm sorry I brought that shit-stain into the light of the public, but I thought what I said needed to be said. I won't be commenting further on him or the matter or journalistic integrity further."

That would close out things nicely.

bornadog
17-07-2018, 11:35 PM
Why the hell is the AFL employing Barrett in the first place. His so called weekly sliding door on the Bulldogs has been about Boyd at least 70% of the time since we recruited him

bulldogtragic
18-07-2018, 12:04 AM
Why stop, finish him off. Beat the living shit out.of the little weasel. I'd be happy to put my hand up and do it.

Brother GMo, hate just creates more hate. We need love. Love like money. We know Leppitsch wants to beat him into a pulp. So maybe we use the love of our money together by chipping in and getting Leppa to do it. Using love, not hate, to fix him brother GMo. Good for the soul.

jeemak
18-07-2018, 12:05 AM
Why the hell is the AFL employing Barrett in the first place. His so called weekly sliding door on the Bulldogs has been about Boyd at least 70% of the time since we recruited him

It's the AFEL. It's hyperbolic crap that generates content in a self serving manner for the remainder of the week or following week.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the AFL web page is reporting negative follow up comments about its own tid-bit from the preceding week?

macca
18-07-2018, 03:04 AM
Can no dickheads policy be applied to the media? Maybe the AFL coaches and Players association can create a new rule for red cards to certain media flogs?

If he can get a gig at the AFL as a so called journalist, it shows the lack of standards. I do not even bother reading any of his tripe or listening to any of his so called "journalism work".

His apology on the Barry hall incident was pathetic. If he had any standards he would have stopped it at that moment, and told the "boys" present that it was out of line and not appropriate.

Jake Niall or Konrad Marshall should be the standard of Journalism the AFL needs to strive for. They are really beaut writers. Miss Emma Quayle as well.

dog town
18-07-2018, 06:41 AM
I don’t think Bevo should have raised his part in the Hall incident. What he wrote about Boyd was bad enough to stand on its own. Will take away from how appalling what he wrote was.

GVGjr
18-07-2018, 07:37 AM
I don’t think Bevo should have raised his part in the Hall incident. What he wrote about Boyd was bad enough to stand on its own. Will take away from how appalling what he wrote was.

Tend to agree, he should have just dealt with the comments about Roughead and Boyd

G-Mo77
18-07-2018, 09:36 AM
Brother GMo, hate just creates more hate. We need love. Love like money. We know Leppitsch wants to beat him into a pulp. So maybe we use the love of our money together by chipping in and getting Leppa to do it. Using love, not hate, to fix him brother GMo. Good for the soul.

I always vowed I'd confront him if I ever saw him. Fortunately for him the only day I ever saw him was on that wonderful day in 2016. Him and his mate Brayshaw were scurrying out of the MCG like a couple of rats.

Axe Man
18-07-2018, 11:43 AM
No surprise the weasel denies everything...

AFL 2018: Luke Beveridge slams Tom Boyd reference in column, journalist hits back (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2018-luke-beveridge-slams-tom-boyd-reference-in-column-journalist-hits-back/news-story/fc50c0ed92dda56fc7bb117ef6823695)

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has launched a stunning public attack over “disgraceful” claims his club may have fabricated the reasoning behind Tom Boyd’s absence from the senior team.
And the journalist in question, Damian Barrett, has hit back at Beveridge, saying it’s “unfortunate that Luke has chosen to go down this path”.

The Bulldogs said Boyd, who had previously taken leave from footy due to mental health issues, was ruled out of his club’s clash with Melbourne last weekend due to back soreness.

Premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead came in for Boyd to take on in-form Demons ruckman Max Gawn, who would ultimately produce one of the best performances by a big man so far this season.

After the teams were released, Barrett wrote in a column for AFL Media: “IF back soreness is the real reason Boyd is not playing this weekend ... THEN that’s a shame. Would’ve liked to have seen him up against Gawn. Instead, Roughead, who Bevo has developed a set against, will go up against a guy who may be the best ruckman in the game.”

Asked on Tuesday at his weekly press conference about the column, Beveridge told reporters: “I think it’s disgraceful.

“With mental health such a significantly sensitive issue in our game, for that individual (Barrett) to infer we were making up his injury and that there’s something else wrong — and why (he) would even go there — just shows what we’re dealing with.

“Whoever contracts and employs him, I’m inquisitive to know what the driver is from a moralistic point of view, and a contentious point of view — there’s not much there.”

But Barrett defended his column in a social media post.

“What Luke Beveridge said is wrong and inaccurate,” Barrett wrote on Twitter.

“My reference to Tom Boyd had nothing to do with what Luke has claimed. I would never reference such a matter in such a way.

“It is unfortunate that Luke has chosen to go down this path.”

Beveridge and Barrett haven’t seen eye-to-eye since Barrett’s reporting of Michael Talia allegedly leaking information to his brother, Adelaide’s Daniel, before the Bulldogs’ elimination final against the Crows in 2015.

Barrett has previously revealed he had a verbal altercation with the Dogs coach in the men’s bathroom at the 2015 Brownlow Medal.

An adamant Beveridge said Boyd was “sore” last week and that the club was thrilled with his development.

Beveridge was also eager to defend his relationship with Roughead, who’s out of contract at season’s end and a looming free agent.

In May, Beveridge via a press conference put the heat on Roughead, saying he’d “need to perform at his best pretty quickly to establish what his future is beyond this year” — a comment that surprised premiership coach Paul Roos.

“Even insinuating that ‘Roughy’ and I have relationship issues and I’m throwing him under the bus by playing him against Gawn is divisive,” Beveridge said.

Beveridge said he’s “scratching his head” at the club’s 14-man injury list, with Liam Picken (concussion) and Lukas Webb (neck) recently ruled out for the rest of 2018.

But Beveridge backed Picken, who turns 32 next month, to extend his career next season.

“With the way Liam prepares himself and the athlete that he is, he’s as much a chance as anyone to pick up where he left off,” he said.

“And hopefully, maybe it prolongs his career a little bit. We’re really hopeful we will get him back next year and he can reinvigorate his career.”

Beveridge said the Bulldogs, ahead of Sunday’s away game against second-placed West Coast, had little choice than to look at the spate of injuries as offering opportunities to other players.

“There’s so many lads in there that are getting great exposure to AFL level and doing some really good things for different periods of the game,” he said.

“That that is the way we’re looking at it, more an opportunistic angle.”

The Pie Man
18-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Found it amusing Damo had a crack at Bevo on twitter about this - the replies were around 98% negative, and some of it fairly civil and constructive (obviously unlike twitter)

A few generously gave him the benefit of the doubt around what he was implying, but took him to task for the ambiguous language used and then for not taking responsibility for how that was perceived.

Impressive of the AFL to fall in my estimation, given they were entirely bereft of credibility already. They should do one decent thing and let him go.

S Coast Simon
18-07-2018, 12:24 PM
It is very pathetic where he has lowered himself to. I liked the sliding doors till the meeting in the bathroom since then it has been a dig at the bulldogs. And the show access all areas was great when Garry Lyon was running it as he kept Barrett in line. Now Barrett is running it he has barely talked about the bulldogs and when he does it’s negative.

ledge
18-07-2018, 03:09 PM
enlighten me on one story Barrett has ever written that's positive about anyone.
I believe he now has the Bulldogs the kangaroos and Brisbane not happy with him , with other journos now slamming him he is quickly running out of friends in the industry.
He just makes up stories nowadays as he cant get anyone to spill anything to him.

bornadog
18-07-2018, 03:24 PM
enlighten me on one story Barrett has ever written that's positive about anyone.
I believe he now has the Bulldogs the kangaroos and Brisbane not happy with him , with other journos now slamming him he is quickly running out of friends in the industry.
He just makes up stories nowadays as he cant get anyone to spill anything to him.
I thought he was a Kangaroos follower?

bulldogtragic
18-07-2018, 03:42 PM

Probably Richmond, considering it was alleged Leppitsch was physically restrained by mates from assaulting Barrett.

Twodogs
18-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Barrett is a professional dickhead. He wouldn't let club allegiance get in the way of a smear campaign.

Mofra
18-07-2018, 06:04 PM
He is, but has had his run ins with Brad Scott. North fans hate Barrett as much as we do and if anything are slightly embarrassed he comes from their stock.

bulldogsthru&thru
18-07-2018, 06:10 PM
Now He’s come out and had a go at Beverage for inferring he was questioning depression in the original article

I couldn’t actually read anywhere where he mentioned what he was referring to though

jeemak
18-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Now He’s come out and had a go at Beverage for inferring he was questioning depression in the original article

I couldn’t actually read anywhere where he mentioned what he was referring to though

What would he be inferring then? We're hiding Boyd from Gawn because we don't want our $1M per year man having his pants pulled down - because he or we just couldn't handle it? Or, Boyd isn't coping mentally and we're giving him a spell?

Grantysghost
18-07-2018, 07:00 PM
What would he be inferring then? We're hiding Boyd from Gawn because we don't want our $1M per year man having his pants pulled down - because he or we just couldn't handle it? Or, Boyd isn't coping mentally and we're giving him a spell?

Unfortunately people like Damian thrive on attention. Best to ignore, give him no oxygen. I respect Luke's protective response however.

Rocket Science
18-07-2018, 07:55 PM
Unfortunately people like Damian thrive on attention. Best to ignore, give him no oxygen. I respect Luke's protective response however.

I suspect that's roughly what Bevo has in mind.

Certainly for Damo's tyres at the very least ...

westdog54
18-07-2018, 11:57 PM

And therein lies the problem with his argument. By not providing clear context as to what he was actually talking about and apologising for any inference to it, he continues to leave himself open.

Either provide clear context as to what you actually were trying to say, or apologise so that we can move on.

ReLoad
19-07-2018, 08:03 AM
I heard Barrett on the radio this morning on SEN, he was talking about Boyd having a badly broken finger for the last month, and he was referring to that.

Now that's fantastic and all, but he very well knows his choice of words, and he should have mentioned that.

However to me what the worst thing he has done, is not admitted his mistake and see/listen to others how it could have been taken to refer to his mental issues and be taken in that context. Its the first thing everyone would think of, given Toms medical history.

I'm sorry Damien, but you've failed a basic test of anyone with integrity and decency, its an incredibly sensitive issue and words hurt people a lot when they are battling with that demon.

The Pie Man
19-07-2018, 11:27 AM
I heard Barrett on the radio this morning on SEN, he was talking about Boyd having a badly broken finger for the last month, and he was referring to that.

Now that's fantastic and all, but he very well knows his choice of words, and he should have mentioned that.

However to me what the worst thing he has done, is not admitted his mistake and see/listen to others how it could have been taken to refer to his mental issues and be taken in that context. Its the first thing everyone would think of, given Toms medical history.

I'm sorry Damien, but you've failed a basic test of anyone with integrity and decency, its an incredibly sensitive issue and words hurt people a lot when they are battling with that demon.

You're spot on ReLoad - and plenty of people online share our view. Feels really obvious...and the broken finger excuse feels a bit like would/wouldn't to me.

He's a soulless windbag in fight or flight mode. Hope the club backs Bevo in here should it escalate further.

Sedat
19-07-2018, 11:34 AM
Sounds an awful lot like the way he squirmed out of any responsibility during the Barry Hall fiasco.

Comfortably the shittest person involved in the AFL, and the beauty of that assertion is that there would be 99.999% consensus from all supporters.

jeemak
19-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Sounds an awful lot like the way he squirmed out of any responsibility during the Barry Hall fiasco.

Comfortably the shittest person involved in the AFL, and the beauty of that assertion is that there would be 99.999% consensus from all supporters.

It's not as if it's a small pool either, there's plenty of shite to choose from.

westdog54
19-07-2018, 12:26 PM

Wow, as cop outs go, that's particularly pitiful.

There could only have been one or two inferences from what Barrett alleged. He was either implying that Boyd's mental health issues had pulled him out of the game and not the back injury, or he was implying that Boyd wasn't injured at all, that there was nothing at all keeping him out of the game, and Bevo was throwing Roughead to the wolves in order to bolster a case to offload him at year's end.

Spineless journalism either way.

Topdog
19-07-2018, 01:10 PM
That doesnt pass the sniff test

LostDoggy
19-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Total BS. Why would the club say it’s back if it’s a finger. How would that be news worthy?

It’s a blatant lie, everyone with a bit of footy knowledge knows what he meant. Scum.

bornadog
19-07-2018, 01:35 PM
Total BS. Why would the club say it’s back if it’s a finger. How would that be news worthy?

It’s a blatant lie, everyone with a bit of footy knowledge knows what he meant. Scum.

The guy is a real FW. He had the opp on his finger and played the following week.

Rocket Science
19-07-2018, 05:08 PM
Not only does this cretinous germ continue to squirm deeper into this shit-mound of his own making...

“He’s dragged his own player, Tom Boyd, into this situation, as leverage in his own dispute and dislike of me.

“There is no reference to what he said there was, there was no inference to what he said there was.

“We know that he had been struggling from a back injury but what we don’t know is what the Bulldogs have been failing to tell us, is he’s also been suffering with and struggling with a badly broken finger."

Silly us. It's actually his coach who threw Boyd under the bus ... But Damo's now attempting to cower behind bizarre falsehoods and play people for morons. We've been so clandestine about Tom's finger injury it was universally reported post-game and even plainly stated on the club's f*cking website you shrieking titbiscuit.

"Lukas Webb (thumb) and Tom Boyd (finger) are set to be sidelined despite playing out the match ... Boyd played on with dislocated finger ..." (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-06-15/dogs-fight-on-despite-nightmarish-injury-toll)

Twodogs
19-07-2018, 07:05 PM
We had a long discussion about what a compound dislocation of the finger looks like and talked about the funny colour Mantis' captain turned when it happened to him playing cricket one day.

They mentioned it during the commentry of the game.

MrMahatma
20-07-2018, 05:15 AM
Wow, as cop outs go, that's particularly pitiful.

There could only have been one or two inferences from what Barrett alleged. He was either implying that Boyd's mental health issues had pulled him out of the game and not the back injury, or he was implying that Boyd wasn't injured at all, that there was nothing at all keeping him out of the game, and Bevo was throwing Roughead to the wolves in order to bolster a case to offload him at year's end.

Spineless journalism either way.

Option 2 is what I got out of it. I’ll admit to not thinking mental health was part of the conversation until Bevo mentioned it.

Axe Man
20-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Option 2 is what I got out of it. I’ll admit to not thinking mental health was part of the conversation until Bevo mentioned it.

Mental health was the only thing I thought he was referring to when I read it (before I heard any discussion on the subject). Even if he honestly wasn't referring to that he at least should have the decency to admit his vague wording could easily lead people to that assumption and apologise for the inference (even if unintended).

However this is Barrett we are talking about and I think he knew full well what he was doing.

bornadog
20-07-2018, 10:25 AM
This weeks:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DigN489UwAAXwPX.jpg

The guy is an absolute moron.

Daughter of the West
20-07-2018, 10:59 AM
This weeks:

Is this snake (I started type "guy" and then deleted it) for real?

If I went out of my way to be so incredibly vindictive in my job, I would be fired so fast my head would swim.

Meanwhile, the AEFL just shows how completely unprofessional and rubbish they are by allowing this tripe to be published as part of *imagine enormous air quotes* "AFL accredited journalism".

bornadog
20-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Is this snake (I started type "guy" and then deleted it) for real?

If I went out of my way to be so incredibly vindictive in my job, I would be fired so fast my head would swim.

Meanwhile, the AEFL just shows how completely unprofessional and rubbish they are by allowing this tripe to be published as part of *imagine enormous air quotes* "AFL accredited journalism".

I don't understand why the AFL would allow this on their website. It's like head office having a constant go at a division head. It is just not on.

westdog54
20-07-2018, 11:13 AM
This weeks:

If I were our media department I would, effective immediately:

- Put a club wide ban on any interviews or features for afl.com or Triple M
- Cancel and ban any appearances from player, coach or official on The Footy Show or Footy Classified
- Have a strict 'next question' policy on any press conference question asked by any of these services, and
- Revoke access to the above mentioned agencies to the rooms on match day.

The above would be lifted either when Barrett retracts and apologises or they terminate Barrett's employment .

Dancin' Douggy
20-07-2018, 11:47 AM
Ok, now this is stepping WAY over the professional line.
This is actively, wilfully, publicly baiting a senior official working within the industry that employs you.

This is not 'journalism'.

Barrett should be fired for this.

Eventually someone is just gonna punch him one day.

This weeks:

chef
20-07-2018, 11:58 AM
I dont get why Bevo wants to get in the gutter with him. Just ignore that shit.

jeemak
20-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Should we petition the boycotting of those channels Westdog?

Mofra
20-07-2018, 12:08 PM
Today's entry just shows how little a person barratt is. He looks like a complete goose.

macca
20-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Today's entry just shows how little a person barratt is. He looks like a complete goose.

Why doesn’t the club just put in an official complaint to the AFL ? Hopefully some clubs would follow suite as well . Then the AFL has to address it. But not expecting much from AFL seeing some of the lack of standards .

It’s obvious they Lack competent editors

Grantysghost
20-07-2018, 12:37 PM
After what I've seen on the world stage this week, nothing surprises. However I do feel it's the responsibility first and foremost of the AFL to look after it's member teams. For them to endorse and publish this clear aggression from one of their agents against a highly decorated, respected senior club official beggars belief.
We need to use the appropriate channels and air our concerns directly to the AFL. This doesn't need to play out publicly any further.

NoseBleed
20-07-2018, 01:26 PM
http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/uploads/monthly_2018_07/323993043_ScreenShot2018-07-20at12_04_05pm.png.553dddb10729aa08c581be33e24a7700.png

Journalist: (noun); a person who writes news stories or articles for a newspaper or magazine or broadcasts them on radio or television
Nope, can't see any news here.
Sycophant: (noun); a servile self-seeking flatterer
Yep, thats in plain sight.
Why the hell is this crap given air on an official AFL website?
#bemorebulldog (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/bemorebulldog?source=feed_text) #afl (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/afl?source=feed_text) #oxygenthief (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/oxygenthief?source=feed_text)

G-Mo77
20-07-2018, 02:06 PM
After what I've seen on the world stage this week, nothing surprises. However I do feel it's the responsibility first and foremost of the AFL to look after it's member teams. For them to endorse and publish this clear aggression from one of their agents against a highly decorated, respected senior club official beggars belief.
We need to use the appropriate channels and air our concerns directly to the AFL. This doesn't need to play out publicly any further.

Exactly and it's about time people put their money where their mouth is. Don't go to their site and don't subscribe to any content, block all content on social media, don't watch any non Bulldog game. I've already cancelled my auto subscription for media content on the AFL website and I'm in the process of writing an email why I am cancelling. Until that grub is removed or his columns cease to be attacks at someone that he dislikes they will not get one ounce of support from this household. Sure the money I give the club filters through to them but that's it.

Rocket Science
20-07-2018, 02:46 PM
The colossal irony of this sociopath devoting an entry to a purely personal attack that also somehow decries its target objecting to it.

I'd suggest the time's long passed for returning serve and any further energy we choose to invest in this is strictly through official backchannels ... but, given league HQ's so consumed with reversing waning interest in the game they'll hardly object too strenuously to this degenerate clickbait.

ledge
20-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Whats what he wrote got to do with football with which he is employed to write about ?
Can't believe the AFL won't have a word to him , the club did not long ago , doesn't seem to have worked and he has admitted he has a vendetta against Luke .
This is like a baby spitting the dummy.
Peter Gordon it's time to step up and approach the head hunchos and get this sorted , totally unprofessional, that is not sports journalism.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2018, 04:36 PM
We can always hope Barrett meets Bevo for round 2 in the toilets at the Brownlow again.

Insufficient Intent
20-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Barrett's brain lacks a single neurone of professional journalism; his postings a total waste of website pixels. He's no more than a rebarbative gadfly, more feculent than a malfunctioning septic tank.

Agree with the idea that this latest personal swipe be taken up by club officials with the AFL away from the media.

LostDoggy
20-07-2018, 06:34 PM
What a an absolute slimy piece of crap. The AFL surely can’t let this happen and claim to be an uncompromised organisation.

Rocket Science
20-07-2018, 07:36 PM
What a an absolute slimy piece of crap. The AFL surely can’t let this happen and claim to be an uncompromised organisation.

Oh, they're not just letting it happen, they're eagerly promoting it. Behold this grab from afl.com.au ...

https://preview.ibb.co/dPNeuJ/Screen_Shot_2018_07_20_at_6_30_12_PM.png (https://ibb.co/mstV1y)

Bless them.

Doc26
20-07-2018, 07:48 PM
The AFL will argue that their AFL Media and Broadcasting arm is an independent body, free to write what those under their employ deem fit.

This is a very good example though of the precarious position and slippery slope the AFL finds itself in when providing such a prominent platform, under the guise of being independent, for ‘rogue’ identities under their employ to slap down the very mouths (Clubs) that feed their organisation.

mjp
20-07-2018, 08:03 PM
I don't think Bevo should have said anything last week and simply stuck to supporting both Boyd and Roughead behind closed doors.

The club needs to react to this though. To belittle the senior coach on the official website of the league is really poor form.

The bulldog tragician
20-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately Barrett thrives on this. He has got exactly what he wanted in his snide attacks. Bevo responds, the story gets bigger.

Bulldog4life
20-07-2018, 08:19 PM
The AFL tweeted this maggot's slur on Bevo and I was told Barrett retweeted that same AFL tweet.

The Pie Man
20-07-2018, 08:29 PM
The AFL tweeted this maggot's slur on Bevo and I was told Barrett retweeted that same AFL tweet.

They did and he did - Gil et al certainly have bigger issues to deal with, but you can walk & chew gum at the same time. Are they not at all concerned with how this looks?

Their media dept needs an urgent review

LostDoggy
20-07-2018, 09:32 PM
Oh, they're not just letting it happen, they're eagerly promoting it. Behold this grab from afl.com.au ...

https://preview.ibb.co/dPNeuJ/Screen_Shot_2018_07_20_at_6_30_12_PM.png (https://ibb.co/mstV1y)

Bless them.

This is absolutely disgusting. Shameful.

LostDoggy
20-07-2018, 09:37 PM
Sorry but this is unacceptable. The AFL must be held to account. What options are open to us as members and supporters?

comrade
20-07-2018, 10:04 PM
Why is everyone so outraged? Barrett gets paid to generate clicks and eyeballs. No issues with Bevo having a whack but this has played straight into Barett’s hands.

For those calling for his sacking by the AFL...come on. He’s doing his job.

Twodogs
20-07-2018, 10:45 PM
We can always hope Barrett meets Bevo for round 2 in the toilets at the Brownlow again.

Ding ding ding.

kruder
20-07-2018, 10:59 PM
Can someone spell it out to me what he actually means by this comment? I'm confused.

bornadog
20-07-2018, 11:13 PM
Why is everyone so outraged? Barrett gets paid to generate clicks and eyeballs. No issues with Bevo having a whack but this has played straight into Barett’s hands.

So its ok for Head office to get stuck into one of its heads in a subsidiary on a public website. Come on.

bornadog
20-07-2018, 11:13 PM
Sorry but this is unacceptable. The AFL must be held to account. What options are open to us as members and supporters?

ONly options are to complain to the AFL plus push our club to have a go at the AFL to get rid of this bloke

Doc26
20-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Can someone spell it out to me what he actually means by this comment? I'm confused.

If I’m interpreting your question properly, in Barrett’s IF/Then article this week he is having a follow up crack at Bevo for Bevo unloading on Barrett earlier in the week for his inference, undoubtedly interpreted by the majority who appreciates Tom’s mental health issue, that Barrett was indeed referring to Tom Boyd’s condition as the reason for Tom not being selected last week. Of course Barrett’s inference is scurrilous when TBoyd is recovering from a badly dislocated finger.

With Barrett now on the back foot, trying to save face, he’s now turning it onto Bevo for being mischievous by supposedly falsely retorting / interpreting Barrett’s previous week’s If/Then article.

The Pie Man
20-07-2018, 11:32 PM

Can you imagine the media dept/web team of the EPL openly taunting one of their clubs managers? NBA? NFL?

The governing body’s media isn’t meant to be sports version of TMZ - can’t accept that comrade

Grantysghost
21-07-2018, 08:38 AM

Sadly true. I do think it's ok to object to this with our Bulldogs hats on however whilst being aware of the (for me) unfortunate role this type of media has nowadays at driving consumption. I don't think he should be sacked, but there needs to be some sensible discussion between the club and AFL to mediate the situation which is clearly toxic. Afterall the AFL (VFL) commission's mission is the welfare of the clubs who instated it.

westdog54
21-07-2018, 09:03 AM

All I said is that we should boycott anyone who employs him until he apologises to coach and club.

Given he's devoted his weekly column space on us to (another) personal attack on our senior coach I hardly see that as an unreasonable position.

SonofScray
21-07-2018, 10:04 AM
For me, I am sick of the erosion of integrity from the game. I am sick of the boys club promoting people like him to some space of influence within the industry and protecting some, over others. This bloke can GAGF, the AFL can GAGF. The game is poorer for their involvement.

If you stick you head up your own butt far enough, you'll eventually suffocate. That is what is happening to the league.

LostDoggy
21-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Can you imagine the media dept/web team of the EPL openly taunting one of their clubs managers? NBA? NFL?

The governing body’s media isn’t meant to be sports version of TMZ - can’t accept that comrade

Yes, if this was a media outlet then it’s fair play but this is the AFL promoting the slander of a coach.

ONly options are to complain to the AFL plus push our club to have a go at the AFL to get rid of this bloke

I was thinking more an organised, weight of numbers complaint. Surely 10000 well worded complaints would get some traction.

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 12:33 PM
For me, I am sick of the erosion of integrity from the game. I am sick of the boys club promoting people like him to some space of influence within the industry and protecting some, over others. This bloke can GAGF, the AFL can GAGF. The game is poorer for their involvement.

If you stick you head up your own butt far enough, you'll eventually suffocate. That is what is happening to the league.

My biggest hope is someone in the AFL will realise that the competition can only survive so much Gilfoolery before it collapses under the weight of its own bullshit.

comrade
21-07-2018, 12:46 PM
I was thinking more an organised, weight of numbers complaint. Surely 10000 well worded complaints would get some traction.

Nope. All that would prove is Barrett’s methods are working at generating outrage and interest. He’ll probably get a bonus.

Flamethrower
21-07-2018, 01:55 PM

This would be like NFL.com or MLB.com hiring Jim Rome to their media department just to attack Bill Belichick, Sean McVay, Mike Scioscia or AJ Jinch. This would send US social media into meltdown, and probably lead to an outcry & the threat of disassociation from large US corporations.

That is what we need - one of the AFL's big sponsors to assert political pressure on the AFL to pull their media department into line.

bornadog
21-07-2018, 02:13 PM
If I’m interpreting your question properly, in Barrett’s IF/Then article this week he is having a follow up crack at Bevo for Bevo unloading on Barrett earlier in the week for his inference, undoubtedly interpreted by the majority who appreciates Tom’s mental health issue, that Barrett was indeed referring to Tom Boyd’s condition as the reason for Tom not being selected last week. Of course Barrett’s inference is scurrilous when TBoyd is recovering from a badly dislocated finger.

With Barrett now on the back foot, trying to save face, he’s now turning it onto Bevo for being mischievous by supposedly falsely retorting / interpreting Barrett’s previous week’s If/Then article.

Another way to look at is he is calling Bevo and the clubs liars, by not agreeing with the reason Tom is out.

Twodogs
21-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Another way to look at is he is calling Bevo and the clubs liars, by not agreeing with the reason Tom is out.

That's how I read it at first. Barrett passive/aggressively accusing the club and Bevo of being dishonest.

Before I Die
21-07-2018, 05:03 PM
My reading is that Barrett is inferring (saying) the club knows they made a terrible mistake by contracting Boyd for big money, but they won't admit it publicly and would rather make up a false story so they can protect Boyd from being humiliated by Gawn. Roughead on the other hand, who Bevo doesn't like, can be thrown under the bus because that is how this club, and Bevo in particular, operates.

westdog54
21-07-2018, 07:49 PM
My reading is that Barrett is inferring (saying) the club knows they made a terrible mistake by contracting Boyd for big money, but they won't admit it publicly and would rather make up a false story so they can protect Boyd from being humiliated by Gawn. Roughead on the other hand, who Bevo doesn't like, can be thrown under the bus because that is how this club, and Bevo in particular, operates.

With Rough and Boyd playing in the same team this week the 'Bevo has a set against Roughead' line is shot to shit.

MrMahatma
22-07-2018, 12:00 AM
With Rough and Boyd playing in the same team this week the 'Bevo has a set against Roughead' line is shot to shit.

Or Parrett can say he save Roughy’s career and forced Bevo’s hand?

Bulldog4life
22-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Or Parrett can say he save Roughy’s career and forced Bevo’s hand?

Parrett. I love it.

Testekill
27-07-2018, 05:32 PM
I mean if Bevo hates any ruckman for us, it's Campbell. But of course Barrett is barely a journalist and doesn't know that he exists.

he'd also never find out that Campbell is injured also but that's to be expected

Ghost Dog
29-07-2018, 01:27 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/4ndu8h/why_is_damien_barrett_so_universally_hated/

Nice to know we are not alone.