PDA

View Full Version : The Case For Signing Mitch Wallis

bulldogtragic
24-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Originally Mitch was a midfielder, towards the outside. Then under BMac he was a tagger. Under Bevo he's an inside midfielder who takes stints forward. So he's been thrown around.

Size: 186cm, 85kg - Which is virtually the same size as Tory Dickson. About the same speed, but more aggressive.

His career best goal kicking was 15 goals in 20 games. After the weekend he's now got 16 goals in just 13 games with 5 games to go. This year he's kicked 16 goals, 2 behinds (11 goal assist too). Accuracy better than Tory Dickson. His career goal kicking accuracy is 65%, pretty much the same as Tory Dickson (but under).

We've lost mid sized forwards in Stringer, Clay Smith & possibly Liam Picken and Tory Dickson. We've found Gowers, but he might be best playing a little higher up the ground.

Perhaps Mitch Wallis, with his hardness, good marking hands and elite goal kicking accuracy is actually a strong mid sized forward. And it's for this role we have him going forward. With the ability to move around if needed, but a bona fide mid sized forward, something we desperately need. If he can kick over 20 goals in 18 games whilst playing midfield/forward, perhaps as a dedicated forward he could become a 1.5 goal a game forward for the rest of his career. I think, for me at least, we are seeing another role emerge for him that would lead me to happily offer him a contract and focus on his strengths that have come to the forefront in the last month.

So Sam Power, sign him up please.

Sedat
24-07-2018, 12:27 PM
Agree wholeheartedly. He has embraced the challenge from Bevo to find additional strings to his bow and, apart from one unfortunate poor kick, has performed better than anyone could expect in this role. Losing Dickson, Picken and Smith leaves a gaping hole in our forward line and Wally has filled the breach really well.

Ozza
24-07-2018, 12:36 PM
I always feel confident when Wally is in a contest, that he will either win it or halve the contest at worst.

25 years of age, getting over 20 possessions and over a goal per game - absolutely he should be signed up. And if in future we are going well enough that he is getting pushed out of the side by others, then great. Coming back from that horrendous broken leg was always going to be hard. And adapting to different roles is an additional challenge, but you know that Mitch is up for it. I would be devastated if we let him walk.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Yep - need to get him signed for all the reasons stated above.

Adapted well to the forward half, he's a leader and a competitor.

SonofScray
24-07-2018, 01:16 PM
He has responded really well to the challenges thrown at him. Good leadership, can sniff a goal. I'd be keeping him, no doubt.

Eastdog
24-07-2018, 01:21 PM
Yeah I would like to hang onto to Wally. He is just one of those types of players you want around at the club.

Rocket Science
24-07-2018, 01:24 PM
Wal's strengths, application and leadership traits outweigh his limitations as a player.

Ink the lad or another mob will. And for chrissake put him in the leadership group where he belongs.

Axe Man
24-07-2018, 01:29 PM
He is certainly a capable forward but I still think he is best suited to a midfield/forward role rather than a permanent forward.

I'm not sure that he is very comparable to Tory Dickson though. No way is their speed about the same, Dickson would leave Wallis for dead. Look no further than Tory's run down of Mckenna against the Bombers earlier this year, no chance in hell Wallis could have done that.

A definite re-sign for mine though. What would our offer look like - 3 year contract at something like $450k?

bulldogtragic
24-07-2018, 01:45 PM
Just for rounding stats out, entire competition wide:

2018 AFL Wide Ranking/All Clubs: Goal Kicking Accuracy

1. Mitch Wallis 88.9%

ledge
24-07-2018, 02:54 PM
He isn't going anywhere,to me it was a media beat up on a Beveridge comment that's blown up out of proportion, he is a very good player and a leader.

Mofra
24-07-2018, 03:28 PM
I'll add something else - when the players turned up for pre-season, Wallis led the time trial result. He's clearly someone who busts his gut on the track and having blokes train that hard is a positive for the group overall.

Twodogs
24-07-2018, 04:00 PM
Yep I like all your reasoning so put me down as member of your group. Let's sign Mitch.

Bulldog4life
24-07-2018, 04:07 PM
I have enjoyed watching Mitch's career with us so far. He is a dedicated, hard working, professional footballer who loves the club. What more could you ask for.

Smads57
24-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Did anyone else notice he was the first to check on HC once he was stretchered...leader of the pack!

The Pie Man
24-07-2018, 05:07 PM
He has to stay - especially if Dahlhaus does leave. Hard worker, mature body, competitor, leader, great set shot and sticky hands.

Bevo came from a culture under Clarkson that focused on what you can do well as opposed to not...I get he has some limitations, but what he does well (contest / set shot) are in short supply at our club.

bornadog
24-07-2018, 05:13 PM
Did anyone else notice he was the first to check on HC once he was stretchered...leader of the pack!

Also the first to remonstrate with Hurn. He is a true leader.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2018, 05:16 PM
He has to stay - especially if Dahlhaus does leave. Hard worker, mature body, competitor, leader, great set shot and sticky hands.

Bevo came from a culture under Clarkson that focused on what you can do well as opposed to not...I get he has some limitations, but what he does well (contest / set shot) are in short supply at our club.

I know it's not a choice, but if we had to let one go via free agency for whatever list management reason, I'd have Wallis easily as my choice. With respect to Dahl.

The Pie Man
24-07-2018, 05:28 PM
I know it's not a choice, but if we had to let one go via free agency for whatever list management reason, I'd have Wallis easily as my choice. With respect to Dahl.

Just to clarify - you'd pick Mitch to stay over Dahl or the other way around?

bulldogtragic
24-07-2018, 05:30 PM
Just to clarify - you'd pick Mitch to stay over Dahl or the other way around?

Mitch to stay. Yep.

The Pie Man
24-07-2018, 05:31 PM
Mitch to stay. Yep.

Based on contemporary form, you couldn't disagree.

bulldogtragic
24-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Based on contemporary form, you couldn't disagree.

I actually think all 17 clubs will see him as a money ball option if we don't sign him up soon. He's a free agent, so it costs them no picks or player. His salary won't be huge, they'll be no bidding war on him. He can tag, he can play inside and outside midfield, has a big tank, he's a leader, he drives standards, has good hands, he's 65% goal accurate over his career and leading the competition at 88.9% this year. A three year $500,000 offer would be a great money ball acquisition for the other 17 clubs. Conversely, that be good for us to sign him up soon too.

LostDoggy
24-07-2018, 05:43 PM
Can and willingly applies pressure too. Sign me up.

westbulldog
24-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Also the first to remonstrate with Hurn. He is a true leader.

Couldn't agree more :-

"B
Mitch Wallis both for his game and for being the one to stand up and step into Hurn after the Honeychurch incident."

DOG GOD
24-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Absolutely sign him, and give him the captaincy with it.

Go_Dogs
24-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Agree with everything in here. Sign him up.

GVGjr
24-07-2018, 08:00 PM
I'll add something else - when the players turned up for pre-season, Wallis led the time trial result. He's clearly someone who busts his gut on the track and having blokes train that hard is a positive for the group overall.

He leaves nothing to the imagination in terms of his application and attitude. He comes to work every day which is a great quality.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
24-07-2018, 08:21 PM
Right now we are screaming for experienced guys with valuable skill sets who lead by example on and off the track, and who have a passion for the jumper.
Wallis ticks all of those boxes. He has his limitations sure, but I do not think they are close to the positives he brings.
I'll be very frustrated if we lose Mitch, but retain others who have more glaring skill or attitudinal deficiencies.

Jeanette54
24-07-2018, 09:26 PM
I am definitely another vote to keep Mitch onboard. Mitch never gives less than 100% effort.

Dry Rot
24-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Wal's strengths, application and leadership traits outweigh his limitations as a player.

Ok, for the sake of some discussion, what are Wallis's limitations and what is case NOT to sign him?

bornadog
24-07-2018, 10:44 PM
Ok, for the sake of some discussion, what are Wallis's limitations and what is case NOT to sign him?

I think his only limitation is lack of pace.

Dry Rot
24-07-2018, 11:06 PM
I think his only limitation is lack of pace.

Holding his feet in a contest? Decision making? Disposal by foot?

bornadog
24-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Holding his feet in a contest? Decision making? Disposal by foot?

I think he has improved in all of those. He isn't a long kick, but can be accurate.

Rocket Science
25-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Projecting a little, I think Wally could be to us what McVeigh's been to Sydney.

Neither screams a skill or physical trait that stands out but both are proud, relentless, heart and soul types who compensate for a lack of 'tricks' - and foot speed - with a do whatever it takes approach that helps set the standard for the rest. A young team in particular can't have enough of that.

Rather than finding some eventual niche I can see Wall's role continuing to evolve over time because he's one who's evidently prepared and able to adapt to what's best for the team. He's a 'glue' guy and like McVeigh wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he gradually upped his on-field value to us the longer he goes. He's durable, well-prepared and determined AF. If we can't extract full use of that the problem's ours, not Wally's.

boydogs
25-07-2018, 12:39 AM
His inside work is severely underrated. His effectiveness is reduced when he and Libba are in the same side but they do have good chemistry

Jam Donuts
25-07-2018, 11:22 AM
This should not even be a thread topic, it is an absolute no brainer to sign him for at least 3 more years, this guy bleeds red, white and blue, and can play a good role.

Mofra
25-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Projecting a little, I think Wally could be to us what McVeigh's been to Sydney.

Neither screams a skill or physical trait that stands out but both are proud, relentless, heart and soul types who compensate for a lack of 'tricks' - and foot speed - with a do whatever it takes approach that helps set the standard for the rest. A young team in particular can't have enough of that.

Rather than finding some eventual niche I can see Wall's role continuing to evolve over time because he's one who's evidently prepared and able to adapt to what's best for the team. He's a 'glue' guy and like McVeigh wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he gradually upped his on-field value to us the longer he goes. He's durable, well-prepared and determined AF. If we can't extract full use of that the problem's ours, not Wally's.
Interestingly, I've heard rumours of GCS being interested in McVeigh in a "Sam Mitchell" type deal where he plays for one year than moves into coaching.
In terms of football knowledge and character from the outside it seems like a smart play.

Topdog
25-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Considering he still has no idea how to lead his ability to kick goals in his last 6 games (11 total) is very impressive.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2018, 03:46 PM

I still reckon Charlie Sutton's spirit went up Steve's nose. Steve used to kick start us in '15 and '16 with an early goal. He is a leader and has great force of will.

BornInDroopSt'54
25-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Interestingly, I've heard rumours of GCS being interested in McVeigh in a "Sam Mitchell" type deal where he plays for one year than moves into coaching.
In terms of football knowledge and character from the outside it seems like a smart play.

Of course McVeigh is Lochie Hunter's uncle and I reckon Lochie takes more after his mum than his dad.

dukedog
25-07-2018, 05:11 PM
Wallis. On field and when he speaks.
He speaks like he's married loyal to the club. He gives it all. I would sign Wally in a heartbeat. I would be proud for my son to walk around with his number on his back. Coz if you had 22 players who played with his passion there would be more wins than losses every year.

bornadog
25-07-2018, 06:12 PM
Wallis. On field and when he speaks.
He speaks like he's married loyal to the club. He gives it all. I would sign Wally in a heartbeat. I would be proud for my son to walk around with his number on his back. Coz if you had 22 players who played with his passion there would be more wins than losses every year.

The number 3 - who wouldn't be. :D

Twodogs
25-07-2018, 08:35 PM
The number 3 - who wouldn't be. :D

It was the first number I had.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2018, 08:59 PM

I had 64. My coach and parents thought I needed to earn a jumper in 50's or higher. To their credit they were right to side me with 64, I dishonoured the great 64 with putrid skills and lack of interest.

Twodogs
25-07-2018, 09:53 PM
I was born in '64. Not that jumper your parents were making you wear. 1964.

bornadog
25-07-2018, 11:55 PM

Me too

Testekill
26-07-2018, 03:27 PM

* Not quick
* sometimes struggles to keep his feet
* if playing as a mid then he needs to be at the coalface but Libba is just far better in that role.

I'm all for keeping Wallis though; besides the fact that he's a good midfielder in an age range that we're badly lacking, you really can't just cough up solid father sons especially when they've had elite seasons in the past.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Considering he still has no idea how to lead his ability to kick goals in his last 6 games (11 total) is very impressive.

Given our delivery, this may be an advantage.

LostDoggy
28-07-2018, 02:17 PM
* Not quick
* sometimes struggles to keep his feet
* if playing as a mid then he needs to be at the coalface but Libba is just far better in that role.

I'm all for keeping Wallis though; besides the fact that he's a good midfielder in an age range that we're badly lacking, you really can't just cough up solid father sons especially when they've had elite seasons in the past.

Libba has had three of the last four seasons ruined with injury. Sizeable gamble assuming he gets back on park to any affect on a long term basis.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2018, 08:49 PM
As per another thread, the Hun reports Mitch has interest from Essendon, Gold Coast & Brisbane already. I'm assuming his manager was the source for the comment 'a four year deal' would be the clincher.

A popular boy is our (currently) Mitch.

bornadog
28-07-2018, 11:30 PM
As per another thread, the Hun reports Mitch has interest from Essendon, Gold Coast & Brisbane already. I'm assuming his manager was the source for the comment 'a four year deal' would be the clincher.

A popular boy is our (currently) Mitch.

Don't believe everything you read

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 07:58 AM
Don't believe everything you read

I just read this post. So I don't believe this post. Is this how it works? :D

bornadog
29-07-2018, 10:46 AM
I just read this post. So I don't believe this post. Is this how it works? :D

Spot on.:D

Ghost Dog
29-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Keep him please. Works his arse off.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 04:22 PM
Just for rounding stats out, entire competition wide:

2018 AFL Wide Ranking/All Clubs: Goal Kicking Accuracy

1. Mitch Wallis 88.9%

Now over 90% accurate!! 19.2

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 05:33 PM
Im hearing he is very likely to re-sign with us. Hoping this information is spot om

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 05:54 PM
Im hearing he is very likely to re-sign with us. Hoping this information is spot om

Are having a sausage in bread, with a good source?

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 06:18 PM

Hes in the Bulldogs inner sanctum group. Ive hopefully got some more to add when tge fingers thaw out on the train home

ledge
29-07-2018, 06:21 PM

The source was Wallis about two weeks ago.
He also came at and said he has no idea where the latest crap story came from about him not being at the dogs next year.
This was the same reporter who had reported a few were leaving eg Sloane and McGovern I believe . So it seems he will keep doing it until he gets one right and is declared an expert.

Twodogs
29-07-2018, 06:40 PM
The source was Wallis about two weeks ago.
He also came at and said he has no idea where the latest crap story came from about him not being at the dogs next year.
This was the same reporter who had reported a few were leaving eg Sloane and McGovern I believe . So it seems he will keep doing it until he gets one right and is declared an expert.

And then all the others start saying "there are reports" or "sources say" when really they should say "known fantasist makes up another bullshit story"

Greystache
29-07-2018, 07:03 PM
You have to wonder what the delay is when you look at some of the other contacts we've thrown around.

Does being able to win a contest and kick accurately at goal go against him?

GVGjr
29-07-2018, 07:20 PM
You have to wonder what the delay is when you look at some of the other contacts we've thrown around.

He doesn't have that flair we appear to love, perhapsca dribble goal or two would better showcase his talents :)

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 07:22 PM

We are still the worst goal converting side in the comp I believe, and he's going at above 90% personally. Imagine how bad we'd be without his ability to kick straight.

dukedog
29-07-2018, 07:28 PM

We need drafting picks for academy and f/s . Yes. Yes this is the case.... If you even look at the possibility of securing Khamis and west. We would be silly not to secure them..... But sign Wallis FFS. Plenty I'd offload before him

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 07:32 PM
We need drafting picks for academy and f/s . Yes. Yes this is the case.... If you even look at the possibility of securing Khamis and west. We would be silly not to secure them..... But sign Wallis FFS. Plenty I'd offload before him

We need to get a second and third rounder in my mind for my strategy. If Geelong are offering Dahl the rumoured money and Roughy has many suitors, we can cover these guys and take the compo picks for them. Sign up Wally & Libba who at their best are elite, as opposed to heart and soul effort types who when a bit off their game are a liability to the side. I understand why Wally has been upset by a few things, but the club should repair things starting with a decent contract tomorrow morning.

dukedog
29-07-2018, 07:33 PM
We need to get a second and third rounder in my mind for my strategy. If Geelong are offering Dahl the rumoured money and Roughy has many suitors, we can cover these guys and take the compo picks for them. Sign up Wally & Libba who at their best are elite, as opposed to heart and soul effort types who when a bit off their game are a liability to the side. I understand why Wally has been upset by a few things, but the club should repair things starting with a decent contract tomorrow morning.

Spot on.

Twodogs
29-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Everybody hates a smart arse.

Mofra
30-07-2018, 11:27 AM
It's a strange one - he was dropped after the game against Adelaide, a game he laid 10 tackles. The week later in the coach's review Bevo bemoans our lack of tackling pressure.
I love Bevo but you get the side you select mate.

Every player has flaws but if we only look at what players can't do than Crossy would never have gotten a game and he is one of my all time favourites.

Bullies
30-07-2018, 12:48 PM
It's a strange one - he was dropped after the game against Adelaide, a game he laid 10 tackles. The week later in the coach's review Bevo bemoans our lack of tackling pressure.
I love Bevo but you get the side you select mate.

Every player has flaws but if we only look at what players can't do than Crossy would never have gotten a game and he is one of my all time favourites. Maybe you hit the nail on the head as to why Wallis will leave at year end. the relationship between he and Bevo is not the best.

bornadog
30-07-2018, 01:09 PM
Maybe you hit the nail on the head as to why Wallis will leave at year end. the relationship between he and Bevo is not the best.

Is that a guess or confirmed?

bulldogtragic
30-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Is that a guess or confirmed?

There's something to it. Not a guess. But GVGjr said he heard Mitch will likely sign soon, so maybe their relationship has been repaired. Which is a good thing for all.

GVGjr
30-07-2018, 02:22 PM
There's something to it. Not a guess. But GVGjr said he heard Mitch will likely sign soon, so maybe their relationship has been repaired. Which is a good thing for all.

I was told yesterday that the club is very happy with Mitch and are hopeful a deal will be done.
Roughead might a harder decision and that the club isn't that close with Dahlhaus at the moment. Also Roberts is clearly struggling.

Having said that who knows how things might shake out and I suspect it to be closer to the end of the season before things might be clearer.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-07-2018, 03:02 PM
You will not find a more upstanding football citizen than Mitch Wallis. Of all the 'rift between players and coach' rumours you hear, this one concerns me the most. Who the hell does Bevo get along with?

AndrewP6
30-07-2018, 03:43 PM
You will not find a more upstanding football citizen than Mitch Wallis. Of all the 'rift between players and coach' rumours you hear, this one concerns me the most. Who the hell does Bevo get along with?

You're assuming that there is some legitimacy to it. Don't assume...

bulldogsthru&thru
30-07-2018, 03:45 PM
You're assuming that there is some legitimacy to it. Don't assume...

Yeah i never used to buy into the rumours......but lately they've been eventuating.

Stringer
Dalrymple
McCartney
Dahlhaus?

AndrewP6
30-07-2018, 05:55 PM
Yeah i never used to buy into the rumours......but lately they've been eventuating.

Stringer
Dalrymple
McCartney
Dahlhaus?

There's always going to be ins and outs in a fairly large organisation. Doesn't necessarily point to a problem.

GVGjr
30-07-2018, 06:12 PM
For what its worth I think its more likely that Bevo isn't tough enough on players hoping that a few words will get the job done.
It's a good approach if players respond well to that style but if they take advantage of it, and lets face it many would, then I don't think he is good at getting them refocused.

We were clearly soft on expectations in 2017 but really only Stringer paid a price for it and then this year, even before the injury list mounted, we weren't performing that well. I hope Bevo can take a sterner stance and lift expectations.

I'm of the belief that a deal will get done for Mitch and I'd likely it to be sooner than later. Yes he has some limitations but he will adapt. Required player in my expectations.

Hotdog60
30-07-2018, 06:49 PM
I think we miss Monty. We need another hard nut at the club. Of all our coaches they all seem from the outside as nice guys.

GVGjr
30-07-2018, 06:55 PM
I think we miss Monty. We need another hard nut at the club. Of all our coaches they all seem from the outside as nice guys.

We need someone with a Monty type focus.

DOG GOD
30-07-2018, 07:19 PM
I’m going to be extremely disappointed if at least 2 of the MC are not moved on...it’s become stale and needs a complete overhaul. Ideally I’d want all replaced leaving Bevo with a new brigade.

Bullies
31-07-2018, 09:38 AM
I’m going to be extremely disappointed if at least 2 of the MC are not moved on...it’s become stale and needs a complete overhaul. Ideally I’d want all replaced leaving Bevo with a new brigade. We should find out tomorrow who will be going.

bulldogsthru&thru
31-07-2018, 09:51 AM
I thought it was mentioned back in 2015 that Bevo wanted his own group going forward in 2016. Has he appointed any new assistants?

Bulldog4life
31-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Bevo wanted all the assistants to be multi year contracted which he got. Not sure when each Assistant's contract is up.

bornadog
31-07-2018, 05:42 PM
Three weeks, and Wallis has kicked the opening goal in each

GVGjr
31-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Three weeks, and Wallis has kicked the opening goal in each

Shopping early to avoid the rush :) He's been a good contributor and is adding and some goal kicking to his games.

We have to get this deal done

Greystache
31-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Shopping early to avoid the rush :) He's been a good contributor and is adding and some goal kicking to his games.

We have to get this deal done

Can we bring him on at halftime?!

GVGjr
31-07-2018, 07:52 PM
Can we bring him on at halftime?!

The super sub :)

Mofra
02-08-2018, 04:06 PM
The super sub :)
Gia likes this

azabob
02-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Mark Stevens and Rodney Eade suggested did we leave the door open to wide and too long on Mitch allowing other clubs to get in his ear.

Looking more and more like Cal Ward revised as everyday passes.

bornadog
02-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Mark Stevens and Rodney Eade suggested did we leave the door open to wide and too long on Mitch allowing other clubs to get in his ear.

Looking more and more like Cal Ward revised as everyday passes.

Rocket kept warning Fantasia on Ward, and Fantasia kept saying, he won't leave it's in the bag.

GVGjr
02-08-2018, 08:13 PM
Rocket kept warning Fantasia on Ward, and Fantasia kept saying, he won't leave it's in the bag.

I would have thought a coach would elevate it to get the required result.

bornadog
02-08-2018, 11:38 PM
I would have thought a coach would elevate it to get the required result.

He didn't negotiate the contracts

bornadog
02-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Dogs free agent hopes 'the faith is repaid' (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/dogs-free-agent-wallis-hopes-the-faith-is-repaid)

IN-FORM free agent Mitch Wallis believes he's proven himself as a best-22 player at the Western Bulldogs and hopes "the faith is repaid" by the club in contract negotiations.

After a slow start to the season that saw him spend time in the VFL, Wallis' quest for a new deal has gained momentum since the mid-season bye, with the 25-year-old averaging 21 possessions and slotting 12 goals, switching between midfield and half-forward.

It's a role the life-long midfielder is starting to excel at, to the point where Champion Data rates Wallis 'elite' this season in contested possessions (11 per game) and goals (17 goals at 1.2 per game), while being 'above average' in disposals (21.1), tackles (4.1), pressure acts (18.7) and goal assists (1.1).

He has also finally found "comfortability" in the left leg he badly broke in round 18, 2016. The injury saw the father-son recruit miss the club's 62-year premiership drought.

While he admits a new deal is unlikely to be struck until season's end, Wallis told AFL.com.au he's showing the form he always knew he was capable of.

"It was a challenging start to the year to get my body right and hit consistent form, but since the bye I've been able to pull together some consistent footy, and hitting the scoreboard, which I've also felt has been a part of my game," Wallis said.
"It's been a 50-50 split between midfield and time forward, but as you get older you learn to influence games for longer and more effectively, so I feel I've got a handle on that.

"(My contract) is probably going to be put off until the end of the year, and I'm going to be optimistic about it, but we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out."Hopefully I've shown the value of myself and the faith is repaid come the end of the year."
Coach Luke Beveridge called on Wallis to add a "qualitative sheen" to his game after being sent back to Foostcray in early June, and while he didn't agree with the demotion, the playmaker feels he's answered the challenge.

Wallis had a career kicking efficiency of 58 per cent before round 13, but his "purple patch" of form has coincided with him hitting the target 64 per cent of the time.

"There was a real turning point in the middle of the year when I was disappointed to be out of the side, and whether that was warranted, in my head it probably wasn't," Wallis said.

"Coming back into the side I had a lot to prove to myself and my teammates that I deserved to be there, and it hasn't been the main driver, but it's been a big driver in getting back and being in the best 22 players.

"I've had some good numbers and I think my effectiveness with my disposal, playing forward, hitting the scoreboard and being involved in scoring chains has really risen.

"I feel like I am being a lot more effective, I'm kicking the ball as far as I ever have and as far as my skills, I feel like I've improved dramatically.

"'Bevo' put it on from me that point of view, and I hope I have (proven myself)."Asked if his relationship with Beveridge had become strained, Wallis said the two haven't let emotion affect the strong bond they share.

"Bevo and I have always been close from the moment he came to the club, and he's known my family for a while, but it's also a player-coach relationship at times," Wallis said.

"He has to be the coach, and you have to put your off-field relationship for the benefit of the club, but it has never ever been strained.

"We'll sit down over the next month or so and review the year and where he sees me going forward, but at the moment there's no problem with (our relationship)."

With only four games left in the Dogs' disappointing season, Wallis concedes a future without Whitten Oval had crossed his mind, but he holds out hope that he'll remain at the club his father Steve captained and played 261 games for.

"I've thought about that, and I don't want to say 'D-Day', but it's coming and coming soon, so I'll cross that bridge when I have to," Wallis said.

"I'll never lose sight of that fact this is where I've grown up, supported my whole life and the team that I love.

"I'm a passionate supporter of the club, as much as a passionate player, so hopefully everything can be resolved."

(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-02/teams-key-swan-a-shock-out-sore-giants)

GVGjr
03-08-2018, 01:37 AM
He didn't negotiate the contracts
I think most coaches would have elevated the issue when they realised it wasnt happening quick enough and there was a risk both he and the club would lose a player.
Dysfunctional relationship with Fantasia or not, he should have followed through even if that meant going above Fantasia's head.

GVGjr
03-08-2018, 01:43 AM
The article just reinforces my view what a quality asset Wallis is. Its a difficult period but hes acknowledging the challenges in a professional manner.
We need to get this deal done.

jeemak
03-08-2018, 03:17 AM
The article just reinforces my view what a quality asset Wallis is. Its a difficult period but hes acknowledging the challenges in a professional manner.
We need to get this deal done.

I have a different view. Wallis is saying all of the right things, but there's a very strong PR campaign happening to put the club under pressure. Check the language.

My immediate view suggests he's gone on the back of that.

GVGjr
03-08-2018, 09:00 AM
I have a different view. Wallis is saying all of the right things, but there's a very strong PR campaign happening to put the club under pressure. Check the language.

That's a fair view, but I still think he wants to be a Bulldog player and I think the club should be under a bit of pressure to get a decent deal done.

Ghost Dog
03-08-2018, 09:05 AM
How could we not sign him? If we don't the old ladies will hurl their knitting at the Ted Whitten statue, and I will applaud them.

Rocket Science
03-08-2018, 09:41 AM

Hard to disagree with this, as a card-carrying member of the Keep Wally Club I don't like the subtext of that piece one bit.

How can we manage to f*ck up re-contracting a bloke who should've been one of the easiest contract slam dunks on our agenda?

Greystache
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Hard to disagree with this, as a card-carrying member of the Keep Wally Club I don't like the subtext of that piece one bit.

How can we manage to f*ck up re-contracting a bloke who should've been one of the easiest contract slam dunks on our agenda?

Bad luck?

Greystache
03-08-2018, 09:59 AM
I think most coaches would have elevated the issue when they realised it wasnt happening quick enough and there was a risk both he and the club would lose a player.
Dysfunctional relationship with Fantasia or not, he should have followed through even if that meant going above Fantasia's head.

Especially when the outcome directly effects your ability to do your own job. I sounds ridiculous to think someone would say that's a different department to mine so I won't worry about it, despite it directly affecting the team I lead. Either way it's a pretty poor reflection on leadership.

bornadog
03-08-2018, 10:00 AM
Especially when the outcome directly effects your ability to do your own job. I sounds ridiculous to think someone would say that's a different department to mine so I won't worry about it, despite it directly affecting the team I lead. Either way it's a pretty poor reflection on leadership.

It didn't happen that way and I am not going to go over old ground.

Mofra
03-08-2018, 10:24 AM
I really don't like the 'putting it off until the end of the season' bit.
Didn't stop us signing other players - McLean a notable example.

It seems Power is shaping up for quite the cull.

bornadog
03-08-2018, 10:35 AM

I think he has a lot do and he is prioritising them. Recently The Bont mentioned this with his own and was happy to sort it out later

bulldogtragic
03-08-2018, 10:43 AM

That's my take on the article too. Last week it was his manager in the media, and assuming he was also the source saying 'four years' would secure Wally. This is starting to get get very smelly. If he is gone, we can only hope there's a bidding war (very unlikely) from Brisbane, Essendon & GCS who his manager said has lodged interest. FA compo is probably at best pick 24. I'd rather have Wally.

LostDoggy
03-08-2018, 10:54 AM

I really think the club had put a pencil line through Wallis mid year. To his credit he has improved aspects of his game. Sometimes coaches will develop a set against a player though. I hope I'm wrong but that a smart cookie like Wallis has felt the need to go to the media like this to reiterate his desire to remain a Bulldog, hardly inspires confidence that the club feels the same way.If Bev really wanted him the deal would be done by now. Instead we get lukewarm motherhood staements from the club.

Article almost felt like Wallis is laying groundwork to manage the fallout of him leaving.

In a club seemingly light on for hungry, talented, experienced players with leadership qualities its a bizarre situation.

Give me Wallis over Dahlhaus or Hunter any day of the week. I'd also take a fit Wallis over a regularly injured and sometimes questionable bloke like Libba as well.

Only can be explained by Bev not rating Wallis.

Big mistake if we let him go IMO.

True test of Power's mettle to go against the coach (IMO) and re-sign Wallis.

Mofra
03-08-2018, 11:05 AM
That's my take on the article too. Last week it was his manager in the media, and assuming he was also the source saying 'four years' would secure Wally. This is starting to get get very smelly. If he is gone, we can only hope there's a bidding war (very unlikely) from Brisbane, Essendon & GCS who his manager said has lodged interest. FA compo is probably at best pick 24. I'd rather have Wally.
GC seem to be leaning towards taking FA compo (pick 3 or 4) for Lynch so they would probably prefer to trade for Wally if they wanted him.

Mofra
03-08-2018, 11:07 AM
I really think the club had put a pencil line through Wallis mid year. To his credit he has improved aspects of his game.
He's certainly improved his forward work - I think spending more time forward has elevated his game but I see him more of a Clay Smith type player than a genuine majority midfielder, even though he's trained that way and won our time trial early in the pre-season. I just hope his papers aren't stamped already.

Either way I don't want to bang on about signing him, I've mentioned I prefer to keep him enough!

bulldogtragic
03-08-2018, 11:12 AM
GC seem to be leaning towards taking FA compo (pick 3 or 4) for Lynch so they would probably prefer to trade for Wally if they wanted him.

If they go the FA way, we might be screwed then if he chooses them. They can throw silly money money at Wally and we will take whatever bad trade offered not having the faith in him or the money to match it, so something like their third rounder (pick 40). I can't see them offering pick 30 if they know we can't match it, plus not including May or other decent player in anything. A disaster of an outcome if that happened. I just wished we signed him up, but I think he's going reading that article.

Grantysghost
03-08-2018, 11:33 AM
Ryan Davidson has just tweeted this :

"Luke Beveridge has revealed a contract is on the table for Mitch Wallis to accept. Will he sign?"

Hope he does.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2018, 11:35 AM

"Luke Beveridge has revealed a contract is on the table for Mitch Wallis to accept. Will he sign?"

Hope he does.

Well, the ball is in Wally's court now then.

Sign it Wally. Please.

Twodogs
03-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Well, the ball is in Wally's court now then.

Sign it Wally. Please.

Depends on whether they have offered him Hobson's choice or not. The next sentence from Bevo could well have been "I wouldn't accept the ofer myself and I can't think of one player who would, but it's an offer"

But hopefully that's not the case.

azabob
03-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Hope he does.

Clearly the contract isn’t up to Wallis expectations. Clearly it was on the table at the sametime of the article.

Jeemak has hit the nail on the head. We have lowballed him.

#CalWard

Grantysghost
03-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Clearly the contract isn’t up to Wallis expectations. Clearly it was on the table at the sametime of the article.

#CalWard

Sentiment aside, as we all love what that family has provided for the dogs; what do we reasonably think he is worth? I really have no idea what players get except the top echelon. Considering coming off a badly broken leg, scratchy early season form, and a great last couple of months I would guess 3 x 450 or something is around the mark? Serious question as I don't actually know what would be unders for him.

hujsh
03-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Bad luck?
https://media.giphy.com/media/RL0xU1daTlMoE/giphy.gif

Axe Man
03-08-2018, 01:25 PM
He is certainly a capable forward but I still think he is best suited to a midfield/forward role rather than a permanent forward.

I'm not sure that he is very comparable to Tory Dickson though. No way is their speed about the same, Dickson would leave Wallis for dead. Look no further than Tory's run down of Mckenna against the Bombers earlier this year, no chance in hell Wallis could have done that.

A definite re-sign for mine though. What would our offer look like - 3 year contract at something like $450k?

Sentiment aside, as we all love what that family has provided for the dogs; what do we reasonably think he is worth? I really have no idea what players get except the top echelon. Considering coming off a badly broken leg, scratchy early season form, and a great last couple of months I would guess 3 x 450 or something is around the mark? Serious question as I don't actually know what would be unders for him.

I asked the same question on page 1 of this thread and pondered the exact same terms as you. That's my best guess. Maybe +/- $50k and Wallis may want 4 years with us only offering 3?

azabob
03-08-2018, 01:25 PM

That horse is unlucky...

jeemak
03-08-2018, 01:30 PM
I don't think we are in a position to be offering Mitch four years. If that's what he wants and that's what he can get elsewhere and on better coin, then so be it.

He's not going to get any quicker, he's not going to get more creative with ball in hand in general play. I quite like him as a grunt midfielder who can go forward, I think when on song his hands are elite. Unfortunately I don't trust him not to deteriorate within 1-3 years.

Twodogs
03-08-2018, 02:03 PM

Flogging a dead horse.

Bullies
03-08-2018, 02:04 PM

#CalWard i think Wally might also be being polite and waiting for seasons end.

Rocket Science
03-08-2018, 02:35 PM

In my mind's eye the horse is our forward line and the bat represents every forward entry that's a skied bomb to a three-on-one.

bulldogsthru&thru
03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
In my mind's eye the horse is our forward line and the bat represents every forward entry that's a skied bomb to a three-on-one.

You know what....lately i've seen that contest in our forward line being near even in numbers. It's just that either non of our boys go for the mark, or they all do.....in perfect unison.

Twodogs
03-08-2018, 09:23 PM

Ooohhh. That does feel better. Just thinking about it.

Twodogs
03-08-2018, 09:25 PM
You know what....lately i've seen that contest in our forward line being near even in numbers. It's just that either non of our boys go for the mark, or they all do.....in perfect unison.

They do it with the precision of ballet dancers too. You know if they took all that energy and skill and tried to expend it in a useful way I can't help thinking we'd win a lot more often.

The Pie Man
14-08-2018, 12:30 AM
A few media rumblings suggesting Brisbane will nab Mitch on a significant deal.

Sigh

Mantis
14-08-2018, 09:24 AM

Good luck to him & them then.

In my mind we offer Mitch a 2yr deal at about $350-400K per season... If that's not enough to keep him then we wish him well.

bulldogtragic
14-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Sigh

Pick 19 then. I'd prefer to keep him, but if it's significant I'm not sure we can match it and we need points for Rhylee. So it could be a win-win-win maybe.

GVGjr
14-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Unless there is an 'overs' offer to Mitch I still think we should look to get him signed.
I'd prefer that we don't pay more than a reasonable figure for any of our restricted free agents.

But if money is the driving consideration for any player I'd be happy for them to leave.

Bullies
14-08-2018, 09:45 AM
Unless there is an 'overs' offer to Mitch I still think we should look to get him signed.
I'd prefer that we don't pay more than a reasonable figure for any of our restricted free agents.

But if money is the driving consideration for any player I'd be happy for them to leave. Too good a deal to knock back for Wal. The club and Wal are a bit apart in $ and length of contract.

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 09:56 AM
Mark Stevens

@Stevo7AFL
11h11 hours ago
More
Post season meeting between Mitch Wallis and Luke Beveridge will be telling .. as much about on-field role going forward as offers elsewhere. Wallis a clearance beast, who has played well recast as forward. Rivals casting him as inside midfielder ...

Ozza
14-08-2018, 10:00 AM

But if money is the driving consideration for any player I'd be happy for them to leave.

Gut feel only - but I strongly doubt Wallis would leave due to money. I think length of contract might be a factor - but really it is a conversation around opportunity and where the head coach sees him/his footy in future plans.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Gut feel only - but I strongly doubt Wallis would leave due to money. I think length of contract might be a factor - but really it is a conversation around opportunity and where the head coach sees him/his footy in future plans.

I guess we're talking how much money though. He'd be an idiot to stay if they offered him 200 k more.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 10:14 AM
I guess we're talking how much money though. He'd be an idiot to stay if they offered him 200 k more.

300k is just average these days, he would be insulted if that is all we are offering.

Webby
14-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Too good a deal to knock back for Wal. The club and Wal are a bit apart in $ and length of contract.

This is a situation in which I would genuinely not begrudge anyone for looking after their interests. Wallis is hard as nails, but lacks pace and polish. Unfortunately that is a ‘type’ which his current employer has in abundance. Therefore, in an open market, better opportunities are available to him. At least in the short term.

One thing that should always be considered, however, is the kudos that comes with being a one club player in later years. Jim Edmond, for example, left us for big rewards. An offer he couldn’t refuse. He was financially rewarded, but rather than being a doyenne of an AFL club (see John Schultz), he’s kind of not talked about anymore.

As for Steve Wallis, he could’ve written his own ticket around 1986-87, had he been inclined to leave. Steve’s now a successful car dealer and I know at least three people who specifically buy their cars from Essendon Mazda because of the fact that they love and remember his contribution to Footscray.

As I say, I wouldn’t begrudge Mitch for leaving and would scowl at any of our supporters who booed him - were he wearing opposition colours (so long as they’re not Essendon’s!) Just pointing out that loyalty and affection also has value in the longer term.

But que sera sera!

Mofra
14-08-2018, 10:16 AM
I think role and length of contract will be two very big factors. Money helps a bit but his dad is loaded and Wally's never exactly struggled.

Reading between the lines of Stevo's tweet, Wally wants more midfield time but with the rise of McLean and Libba returning next year, along with rising young types like Bailey Williams, he's more than likely to stay pushed to the forwardline.
It sounds like we've low-balled him and he's gone.
I'd almost rather GCS trade for him (they have a bazillion picks) as we'd probably get a slightly later pick plus a couple of token extras that are worth far more points in total.

Mofra
14-08-2018, 10:17 AM
As for Steve Wallis, he could’ve written his own ticket around 1986-87, had he been inclined to leave. Steve’s now a successful car dealer and I know at least three people who specifically buy their cars from Essendon Mazda because of the fact that they love and remember his contribution to Footscray.
An Essendon coterie member co-owns Essendon Mazda which takes the sheen off it somewhat.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 10:45 AM
300k is just average these days, he would be insulted if that is all we are offering.

Sure. But let's say we're offering 400 and Brisbane 600. I for one would think he's an idiot for staying.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Sure. But let's say we're offering 400 and Brisbane 600. I for one would think he's an idiot for staying.

An extra $200k, or $140k after tax - maybe it is not all about money.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-08-2018, 11:07 AM
A little torn on this.

Pick 19 (for example) sounds good for Wallis, but it's still a pick that is more miss than hit. You also lose a leader of the club and there's no denying the fabric would be stretched given his father/son ties. Given our list and where it's at, a leader who can teach the kids as well as play in multiple positions is handy.

The reality is that Wallis isn't a star player, has obvious flaws (pace and skill) and his type is commonly found within every draft but I'm not sure giving him up for a pretty speculative pick is astute list management.

I still would prefer to keep him at around 450K.

EasternWest
14-08-2018, 11:11 AM

It should be. Loyalty, past a certain dollar point, is bunk.

If the club could replace Mitch with a better player, they would do it without hesitation. No way should we expect Mitch, or any player, to forego a big dollar differential for any romantic notions of tradition.

I accept that not everyone will agree with me and that's fine - but I don't believe anyone that says they would stay loyal to any employer when another employer might be offering you a 30% pay rise.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2018, 11:14 AM

The majority of players on AFL lists are on below average pay.
There would be plenty at all clubs getting regular games, who are below the average.

You have the top money earners, where 2 or 3 players can take as much as 15% combined (or more), the average around the rest of the list declines.

Axe Man
14-08-2018, 11:17 AM
A little torn on this.

Pick 19 (for example) sounds good for Wallis, but it's still a pick that is more miss than hit. You also lose a leader of the club and there's no denying the fabric would be stretched given his father/son ties. Given our list and where it's at, a leader who can teach the kids as well as play in multiple positions is handy.

The reality is that Wallis isn't a star player, has obvious flaws (pace and skill) and his type is commonly found within every draft but I'm not sure giving him up for a pretty speculative pick is astute list management.

Fair chance that hypothetical pick 19 is pushed back a bit with priority picks, etc and is used on West rather than a speculative pick.

I too would like to keep Wallis, but only at the right price. Happy to give him 3 years at around $400-$450k, but if he's being offered $500-$600k and 4 or 5 years then good luck to him.

GVGjr
14-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Too good a deal to knock back for Wal. The club and Wal are a bit apart in $ and length of contract.

Do you have a feel for the years we are offering and what he is expecting?

GVGjr
14-08-2018, 11:47 AM
A little torn on this.

Are we being optimistic to expect a pick around 19?
I'm more than happy to have Mitch resign but if he goes we might have to accept it's a later pick.

Lets pay him what he is worth to us and hopefully that is good enough

Axe Man
14-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Are we being optimistic to expect a pick around 19?
I'm more than happy to have Mitch resign but if he goes we might have to accept it's a later pick.

Lets pay him what he is worth to us and hopefully that is good enough

Depends on the $$$ involved. He's only 25 which is a positive for free agency compo. If the contract is large enough an end of first round pick is realistic.

GVGjr
14-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Depends on the $$$ involved. He's only 25 which is a positive for free agency compo. If the contract is large enough an end of first round pick is realistic.

Thanks, I'm always interested in peoples view on compensation and players departing.
There is a chance that people say for something like pick 19 it's worth letting them go but not so much for pick 27.

To me, I don't really care what the compensation is if we don't rate the player enough to offer him a good contract

Topdog
15-08-2018, 03:15 PM

Per year? Geez I don't know many that would do that.

bornadog
15-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Per year? Geez I don't know many that would do that.

If he gets $500k, and gets to stay in Melbourne and play for the club his father played for and the club he supported since he was born, maybe that is enough?

Bulldog Joe
15-08-2018, 03:38 PM
If he gets $500k, and gets to stay in Melbourne and play for the club his father played for and the club he supported since he was born, maybe that is enough?

The question is whether he is actually worth that much money.

Mitch has played pretty well over the last half of the season, but he is a foot soldier.

If we gave him $500k over 4 years, we need to consider if that would impact on our ability to retain Ed Richards in 2 years time.

On a choice of Mitch Wallis or Ed Richards for 2021, who would we prefer?

bornadog
15-08-2018, 03:49 PM
The question is whether he is actually worth that much money.

Mitch has played pretty well over the last half of the season, but he is a foot soldier.

If we gave him $500k over 4 years, we need to consider if that would impact on our ability to retain Ed Richards in 2 years time.

On a choice of Mitch Wallis or Ed Richards for 2021, who would we prefer?

I was making that figure up - to tell you the truth, I have no idea what footballers are worth.

I was trying to illustrate a point. Could be $400k and Mitch could be happy. As others have said, it may be more a matter of playing time, the role he plays the length of contract, etc that may sway him and the club.

Bulldog Joe
15-08-2018, 04:01 PM
I was making that figure up - to tell you the truth, I have no idea what footballers are worth.

I was trying to illustrate a point. Could be $400k and Mitch could be happy. As others have said, it may be more a matter of playing time, the role he plays the length of contract, etc that may sway him and the club.

While I agree on keeping Mitch, the club cannot afford to overpay.

Jeanette54
15-08-2018, 04:25 PM
I am wondering whether all our contract renewals are waiting, pending the finalisation of "The Bont's" new contract. Maybe its only then will we know just how much money we have to play with.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Good luck to him & them then.

In my mind we offer Mitch a 2yr deal at about $350-400K per season... If that's not enough to keep him then we wish him well.

Sounds fair to me.

jeemak
15-08-2018, 11:57 PM
I agree that $375K per year on a three year deal is about as good as we could get to with Mitch.

Axe Man
21-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Easton Wood eager for father-son Mitch Wallis to re-sign with Western Bulldogs (https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/western-bulldogs/easton-wood-wants-mitch-wallis-to-stay-at-western-bulldogs/news-story/3672f6d858e97460d3c2dfcd012c3e16)

EASTON Wood says he is desperate for his club to come to an agreement with Mitch Wallis, adamant he cannot see the Western Bulldogs father-son in another team’s colours.

The Bulldogs captain returned from a long-term hamstring injury against Carlton and says Luke Beveridge’s side is keen to see how it stacks up against Richmond in its final game of the year.

Free agent Wallis was dropped twice this year but has played the last 10 games, adding an attacking edge to his play in a 19-goal season full of character.

It remains to be seen whether Brisbane and Essendon offer more money or longer terms than the Dogs, who have said they are keen to re-contract the free agent.

Wallis said this year the Bulldogs are “in my blood” and Wood told the Herald Sun the son of 261-gamer Stephen had done everything asked of him by the club in recent months.

“I can’t imagine him in another club’s colours, it wouldn’t feel right,” Wood said.

“A measure of a person’s character is not how they are going when things are going well, it’s when the chips are down. He was challenged and went back to the VFL and that can go a number of ways.

“You can do the whole, ‘Woe is me’ thing and drop your bottom lip and blame everyone else but he took the feedback on board and worked his bum off.

“He listened to the coaches, he did extra stuff after training and worked himself into a really strong position. Absolutely you really want to reward that effort so absolutely I hope they can sort that out.”

Free agent Jordan Roughead also has rival suitors but has played the past six games and built into strong form in a combination with Jackson Trengove.

Second-year ruckman Tim English has had a number of clubs ask about his future but he is contracted until 2020 and happy at the club.

While he is playing VFL at the moment coach Luke Beveridge clearly sees him as the club’s long-term ruckman at some point so he will stay put.

The Dogs will also likely draft father-son prospect Rylee West, the son of club champion Scott West seen as a top-15 draftee given his inside midfield gifts.

“He has done some pre-season stuff with us and I haven’t seen his form this year but it’s always exciting to have father-son prospects,” Wood said.

“I managed to overlap with his dad in his final year. He has a stress fracture in his knee but seeing his effort in the pre-season, I have never seen someone work that hard. So if he can have some of that from his old man, I am sure he will go well.”

bornadog
21-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Marcus Bontempelli on the chances of Mitch Wallis staying

"I would have thought it's pretty high to be honest. We couldn't have asked much more of Mitch. We need to get him signed up and hope to play with him next year and beyond."

The Bulldogs Bite
21-08-2018, 01:01 PM
Broken record but Wallis needs to stay.

Happy for Dahlhaus and Roughead to look elsewhere.

cinder
19-09-2018, 05:11 PM
Over the moon to see Mitch has just re-signed, a good news story finally. Thank you Mitch for showing us loyalty.

Mofra
19-09-2018, 05:12 PM
Any details on what the contract is?

cinder
19-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Any details on what the contract is?

3 years I believe? Let me see if I can find more ...

1eyedog
19-09-2018, 05:13 PM
Three years.

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-09-19/wallis-commits-to-dogs

chef
19-09-2018, 05:17 PM
Great news.

ledge
19-09-2018, 05:17 PM
:-) I’m glad he stayed. Next Is Libba.
Now let’s get Wingard.

Mantis
19-09-2018, 05:18 PM
I feel that it's one year too many, but the extra year was probably a sticking point with offers for that or more on his table.

Good citizen, hard trainer.. will wait and see how he goes.

jeemak
19-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Great news and suitable reward for his performances.

Jeanette54
19-09-2018, 05:28 PM
So glad Mitch is staying, well done Mitch.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Happy the case and contract was made. I'd like to see Mitch & Macrae elevated to formal leadership roles. Must be close to the two hardest trainers, and try to lead by doing onfield, not off field.

Good news and fair reward.

angelopetraglia
19-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Yes. Yes. Fantastic news.

Spirit and soul player who loves the club.

Axe Man
19-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Mark Stevens got that one right.

Greystache
19-09-2018, 05:37 PM
Good news. His back end of the season was very positive.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2018, 05:38 PM
Most accurate goal kicker in the AFEL this year. We need people who kick straight.

ratsmac
19-09-2018, 05:39 PM
It's great Wally siged on. He's as bulldog as you and me. It's good for football that players show loyalty from time to time. But in saying that I hope Wingard leaves Port:p

Doc26
19-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Very pleased to hear this.

Would've been a bitter pill to watch him go around in opposition colours, particularly Essendon's.

comrade
19-09-2018, 05:42 PM
One player on the list you can definitely say hasn't dropped his bundle since the club reached the summit. You need players like Wallis on the list to maintain standards and drag everyone forward, and given the age profile of the list, his experience and work rate are worth more than just his onfield output.

3 years feels about right, given other clubs were into him. A good post-season period so far for the list management crew.

dukedog
19-09-2018, 05:47 PM
On ya Wally!!!!!!

Webby
19-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Very pleased to hear this.

Would've been a bitter pill to watch him go around in opposition colours, particularly Essendon's.

Amen. Seeing my Steve Wallis’s kid in red and black would’ve killed me!

Scraggers
19-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Very happy indeed ... onya Wally !!

Twodogs
19-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Amen. Seeing my Steve Wallis’s kid in red and black would’ve killed me!

Watching that would have come close to severing my ties with footy. There are just things that shouldn't happen and Steve Wallis' kid wearing a *!*!*!*!ing Essendon is one of them.

Thank golly we didn't have to see it!

Smads57
19-09-2018, 08:00 PM
This was an important signing simply because Wally is who he is - really happy the club got him over the line

josie
19-09-2018, 08:15 PM
I’ll admit I was not sure he was worth re-signing, but he became a reliable goal kicker in latter part of season and I think his training standards and leadership make up for lack of pace. Just watched his speech on dog’s website and he is simply beaming-gee he is a great speaker and clubman too. Good on ya Wally. Hope the boys vote you in as one of the leadership crew and that you continue to make the doubters like me wrong (again).

Also we are really lacking lads in his age group so really glad he signed on.

Dry Rot
19-09-2018, 09:16 PM
I am a bit so-so about this.

What is the best position for Wallis in a 2019 Dogs team with all players fit + Wingard?

bulldogtragic
19-09-2018, 09:30 PM
I am a bit so-so about this.

What is the best position for Wallis in a 2019 Dogs team with all players fit + Wingard?

During the Hawthorn three peat, towards the end post-Buddy, they had an amazing set up. After each goal, their mids and forwards would change. Presumably making it hard to match up on. They moved around Roughy & Gunston, plus a resting ruck, plus Bruest, Rioli, Puopolo, Burgoyne, Lewis, Hodge, Mitchell, Smith etc, etc.

If we can get a dangerous pool of guys who can p,any mid and hit the scoreboard, we could try the same with Boyd, Schache, Trengove/English, Wallis, Bonts, Wingard, McLean, Dunkley, Gowers, Macrae, Lynch/Greene/Webb. Then we could try an updated version of the strategy. Take Dahl & Honey didn't excel in either this year, replace them, after the bye Wally hit the scoreboard hard and was the most accurate and Wingard is a gun.

Select them on form and watch them fight for spots. Might just help turn the ship around.