PDA

View Full Version : The BT Who To Root For Thread (for the earliest first round pick)

bulldogtragic
28-07-2018, 08:57 PM
Please don't get too precious, I'm not advocating tanking, losing or liking losing. Just the way to the best first round pick.

Today

St Kilda lost (boo)
Brisbane lost (boo)

GCS to beat Carlton by lots
Dogs to lose to Port by lots

Could be Pick 4

bornadog
28-07-2018, 11:32 PM
I prefer us to win.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 07:56 AM
I prefer us to win.

As do I. Much prefer, who wouldn't. GCS losing could cement us in 5. Although Us vs St Kilda next week 'could' be, as they say, an 8 point game.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 09:38 AM
14. Dogs - 20 - 71% - Saints, North, Carlton, Richmond

15. Saints - 18 - 75% - Dogs, Essendon, Hawthorn, North

16. Brisbane - 16 - 89% - North, Collingwood, GCS, WCE

17. GCS - 16pts - 65% - Dees, Richmond, Brisbane, Geelong

GCS - I don't see any wins here: 17th
Brisbane - Probably 2 wins (24 points) and 89%: 16th
Saints - Possibly 2-3 wins (26-30 points) and 77%: 14th-15th
Dogs - Probably 2 wins (28 points) and 70%: 14th-15th

Fighting with St Kilda over 14th and 15th for the rest of the year. Especially next week.

DOG GOD
29-07-2018, 10:36 AM
St.kilda will tank against us and secure Rankine before our pick :(

bornadog
29-07-2018, 10:43 AM
St.kilda will tank against us and secure Rankine before our pick :(

I watched about 15 minutes of the first quarter of the Saints yesterday and thought they played well and will probably beat us next week.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-07-2018, 12:37 PM
The saints should beat us. They’re better than our current available squad. But they do love a good tank. Remember rd 23 last year. I don’t think it’s too far fetched to think their performance this season was impacted by that tank

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 06:32 PM
Rate it, or not. Think it's reliable or not. liveladders.com.au has us finishing 16th, GCS 17th (potentially two and three) and Carlton 18th.

Greystache
29-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Rate it, or not. Think it's reliable or not. liveladders.com.au has us finishing 16th, GCS 17th (potentially two and three) and Carlton 18th.

I think that's where we'll finish up. Carlton are every chance to beat us but we'll still finish 16th.

If St Kilda play Carlisle forward we may play 7 key defenders and he'll still take a dozen uncontested marks inside 50m.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 07:23 PM
I think that's where we'll finish up. Carlton are every chance to beat us but we'll still finish 16th.

If St Kilda play Carlisle forward we may play 7 key defenders and he'll still take a dozen uncontested marks inside 50m.

From memory we have him 8 the last game he played for Essendon against us..

Bullies
29-07-2018, 08:06 PM

If St Kilda play Carlisle forward we may play 7 key defenders and he'll still take a dozen uncontested marks inside 50m. it will be a Grand Final for Carlton when they play us. Guaranteed.

Happy Days
29-07-2018, 08:14 PM
From memory we have him 8 the last game he played for Essendon against us..

He was phenomenal in that game. 2010 Brian Lake couldn't have done anything to stop him.

bulldogtragic
29-07-2018, 08:17 PM
He was phenomenal in that game. 2010 Brian Lake couldn't have done anything to stop him.

That's what I'm afraid of. If plays to the level of Dixon today, 5 marks inside 50 for 5 goals, then we are in for another terrible game to watch.

bulldogsthru&thru
30-07-2018, 03:23 PM
Despite the shiny toy you get with a nice low draft pick we still want to see the dogs win. So this week is a massive root for the brisbane lions to knock off north at the Gabba.

Assuming we only beat carlton from here (the only other possibility is the saints, but i can't see it happening) a win to Brisbane this week along with a win over Gold Coast will have them finish above us and give us pick 4. I just warm to the idea of getting one of Lukosius, Walsh, Smith or Rankine. So go Lions!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
31-07-2018, 05:19 PM
Love this thread!

bornadog
31-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Despite the shiny toy you get with a nice low draft pick we still want to see the dogs win. So this week is a massive root for the brisbane lions to knock off north at the Gabba.

Assuming we only beat carlton from here (the only other possibility is the saints, but i can't see it happening) a win to Brisbane this week along with a win over Gold Coast will have them finish above us and give us pick 4. I just warm to the idea of getting one of Lukosius, Walsh, Smith or Rankine. So go Lions!

Higgins out so that will help Brissie

craigsahibee
02-08-2018, 02:35 PM

If Carlton, or anyone that finishes below us gets a Priority Pick, where is that activated? After their first pick or at the end of the first round?

Twodogs
02-08-2018, 02:42 PM
If Carlton, or anyone that finishes below us gets a Priority Pick, where is that activated? After their first pick or at the end of the first round?

It depends on the nature of the pick. It could be attached (immediately after) their first pick or at the end of the first round after everyone has had a turn. In short it could be either of the things you said.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2018, 05:01 PM
Higgins out so that will help Brissie

That helps the root. Carn Brisbane! Build momentum into next year.

Greystache
02-08-2018, 05:12 PM
That helps the root. Carn Brisbane! Build momentum into next year.

They've picked up some real momentum in the back end of this season already. I'm worried come 2019 they'll have gone past us. Their % is over 90 this season which I think is a really good indicator of how a team is actually travelling.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
They've picked up some real momentum in the back end of this season already. I'm worried come 2019 they'll have gone past us. Their % is over 90 this season which I think is a really good indicator of how a team is actually travelling.

I agree - but it's about time they actually start winning some games of football.

Greystache
02-08-2018, 07:39 PM
I agree - but it's about time they actually start winning some games of football.

They're 4 and 6 from their last 10, so not great but definitely an improvement. Their trajectory looks on the rise.

We're 1-9 at the same and if not for an easy miss after the siren we'd have lost 10 straight. So a lot would need to change for them not to go past us next year.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2018, 07:49 PM
They're 4 and 6 from their last 10, so not great but definitely an improvement. Their trajectory looks on the rise.

We're 1-9 at the same and if not for an easy miss after the siren we'd have lost 10 straight. So a lot would need to change for them not to go past us next year.

You can see watching them that when they 'click' it's very good footy. Once that 'clicking footy' becomes the norm and not the exception they're going to be very hard to beat. Leppitsch held them back, but now they've got some good footy brains and man managers up there, to go with recruiters, they're on the right path. Soon when the likes of Robinson and Taylor are out of the side because there's far better talent now ready they'll be fun to watch I reckon. Plus they pick balanced sides, respect the ruck role, then they also recruit and then develop KPFs and then play them as KPFs, and train their midfielders to hit targets. Which is paying off big time. Maybe there's a lesson of two in it.?

bulldogtragic
04-08-2018, 07:04 PM
Brisbane again losing by a less than a goal, that's twice in the last three weeks. They're positively screwing us.

Looking like pick 5, out to pick 6 after GCS take pick 3 as compo.

DOG GOD
04-08-2018, 07:35 PM
Brisbane again losing by a less than a goal, that's twice in the last three weeks. They're positively screwing us.

Yep and goodbye Rankine :(

G-Mo77
04-08-2018, 07:56 PM

Saints will jump us tonight, fingers crossed GC can cause an upset somewhere and Brisbane will get one of their last games. That will put us in play for a top 3 pick.

We'll probably stuff this up as well and win 3 of our last 4 and drop down to pick 8 - 10. :P

bulldogtragic
04-08-2018, 08:25 PM
Yep and goodbye Rankine :(

But next best available is a KPD. So it's sweeeeetttt mate.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2018, 11:23 PM
Saints will jump us tonight, fingers crossed GC can cause an upset somewhere and Brisbane will get one of their last games. That will put us in play for a top 3 pick.

We'll probably stuff this up as well and win 3 of our last 4 and drop down to pick 8 - 10. :P

The win tonight gaps us over Saints & Brisbane. Too far from Freo with percentage in play. Beating Carlton, or losing to them probably won't change now. It looks like pick 5 down into pick 6 after GCS compo. Here's hoping one or both of the King brothers go, or we will be drafting another tall, a 200cm forward (fwd/ruck as flexibility demands) as best available.

Sedat
04-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Their season is a little overrated - they've lost something like only 15 games through injury all season from their playing list, easily the best in the AFL. By contrast the Dogs and Pies are closing in on 150 games lost through injury.

Maybe we should poach their fitness and conditioning staff.

divvydan
05-08-2018, 01:23 AM
Yep, with tonight's win we're pretty much locked into 14th. Game and significant % behind Freo and both of us play Carlton in the run home, so I don't see us catching them. Given that, we may as well go all out against North Melbourne next week and try and end any hope of them making the finals.

Twodogs
05-08-2018, 01:30 AM
Yep, with tonight's win we're pretty much locked into 14th. Game and significant % behind Freo and both of us play Carlton in the run home, so I don't see us catching them. Given that, we may as well go all out against North Melbourne next week and try and end any hope of them making the finals.

Yeah I was spewing Norf won today to keep their finals hopes alive but then I realised that we play them next week and that means we could hold them close and watch the life ebb from their eyes, or knock them out of the finals ourself I cheered up.

craigsahibee
06-08-2018, 02:25 PM

That scenario would go very close to restoring my faith in the AFL.

ReLoad
06-08-2018, 03:29 PM
That scenario would go very close to restoring my faith in the AFL.

calm down with the big statements!

Rocket Science
07-08-2018, 03:06 PM
Interpreting Gillon's remarks on Talking Footy last night, it's seeming more likely than not Carlton will be gifted a priority pick this year ... which'll shunt ours a further selection back lest they tack it onto the end of round one rather than the beginning.

In other news all is peachy on planet AFEL, particularly when Gill's permitted to answer the questions he wants rather than the questions he's given, and it's hardly as if they went hard on him either. Oh and did you know Gill was a superb amateur footballer? I was almost expecting Darce to hit him up for an autograph.

Anyway, pick 7's looking as good as it gets from here.

bulldogsthru&thru
07-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Interpreting Gillon's remarks on Talking Footy last night, it's seeming more likely than not Carlton will be gifted a priority pick this year ... which'll shunt ours a further selection back lest they tack it onto the end of round one rather than the beginning.

In other news all is peachy on planet AFEL, particularly when Gill's permitted to answer the questions he wants rather than the questions he's given, and it's hardly as if they went hard on him either. Oh and did you know Gill was a superb amateur footballer? I was almost expecting Darce to hit him up for an autograph.

Anyway, pick 7's looking as good as it gets from here.

The general consensus has been that the priority picks will be at the end of the first round. They cannot continue to have compromised drafts any longer. Why should we and other clubs suffer from Carlton's incompetence?

whythelongface
07-08-2018, 03:49 PM

It is bad enough that the newer franchises continually are gifted priority picks let alone established clubs that have been mismanaged. FFS this really gets my goat.

Carlton are a well established club that have had high end draft picks for a number of years. The fact that they have mismanaged their list should not mean that they are rewarded with a priority pick.

In the last 3 drafts they have 6 picks within the top 12 plus they will receive the #1 draft pick in 2018. Hardly warranting a priority pick.

2017 Pick 3 & 10
2016 Pick 6
2015 Pick 1, 10 & 12