PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Dale Morris - 250 games!!

Eastdog
06-08-2018, 01:57 PM
He has had his fair share of setbacks in his career with injury but this Sunday Dale Morris reaches 250 games for our club. An excellent career. Was fantastic in the grand final - the highlight when he tackled and stopped Buddy. Brilliant!

Congratulations Moz!

Testekill
06-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Glad that he's got a premiership medallion; it would be an absolute travesty that a warrior like Dale could miss out on it especially after coming back from a shocking leg break.

Ozza
06-08-2018, 03:05 PM
One of my favourite ever Bulldogs. Has been the epitome everything you want a footballer to be in terms of attitude, professionalism, loyalty and selflessness. The best defender I've ever seen in red, white and blue, there wouldn't be many games out of the 250 that he got beaten.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Love him

SlimPickens
06-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Runner Up in the B and F in 2016. Amazing footballer and an even better bloke! Congratulations Dale

angelopetraglia
06-08-2018, 04:02 PM
How lucky are we to have seen this man run around in the red, white and blue?

Still remember his first game like it was yesterday. Chris Grant's 300th game. Luke Darcy was unstoppable and at the height of his powers with 6 goals. What a travesty that he did his knee the following game at Kardina Park.

Dale Morris tagged Andrew McLeod that night and kept him to 8 touches! Just to highlight how versatile he is. He does something every week that surprises me. A mark I didn't think was possible, a spoil from no where, a tackle on a rampaging Buddy :)

Dale Morris. You are a Bulldog immortal. Absolute love and respect for this great man.

Mofra
06-08-2018, 04:25 PM
One of the most respected players in modern history, can't find anyone to say a bad word about him.

Deserves a victory to celebrate

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2018, 04:30 PM
Congratulations to Dale.

Wonderful player and clubman.

Bets defender I've seen in my time for us, just so reliable and versatile in who he could play on. It goes without saying how tough he is.

Great effort by Moz to reach 250 given some pretty serious injuries and a late start.

GVGjr
06-08-2018, 04:49 PM
Was it Scott West who endorsed Morris to the coaches during a practice game? I seem to recall he mentioned how hard it was to get a kick against him.

In his first game with us I think he matched up on McLeod and Edwards as they rotated in the midfield.
They were in for a shock if they thought they'd be going for a rest in the forward line that day.

Eastdog
06-08-2018, 04:53 PM
Glad that he's got a premiership medallion; it would be an absolute travesty that a warrior like Dale could miss out on it especially after coming back from a shocking leg break.

Yep so happy he played in the premiership. I wish Bob played in it as well but we really included Bob in the celebrations really well. So heartbreaking to lose to the Hawks Round 3 2016 and lose Bob but we got them when it mattered in the semi final.

I have Dale's signature on my footy which I got at the family days over the recent years.

westbulldog
06-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Highly respected, highly talented, a great clubman and the best role model any young footballer could have.
Congratulations Dale, you are up there with the all time best bulldogs and you deserve the accolades all AFL supporters give you.

bornadog
06-08-2018, 05:27 PM
What a player he had been for the club. One of our all time great defenders

Oldest person in VFL/AFL history at the point of 250-game milestone)

Smads57
06-08-2018, 05:35 PM
Congrats Moz, love your work. Very deserving all the accolades you receive in this thread.

josie
06-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Congrats Dale. A much loved and respected player. I have a mini flag on my desk signed by you after triumphant 2016 season. It is one of my most treasured possessions.

SlimPickens
06-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Was it Scott West who endorsed Morris to the coaches during a practice game? I seem to recall he mentioned how hard it was to get a kick against him.

Brad Johnson

Grantysghost
06-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Through Dale I learnt the term "halving the contest". If you can't win it, don't lose it, and he's lived that mantra in every one of his 249 games to date. As recently as last week his attack on the contest early against the Saints set the tone. Absolutely underrated (as are many of our legends) and the epitome of Bullgod.
Let's hope we have a win for his 250th.

Go_Dogs
06-08-2018, 07:37 PM

In his first game with us I think he matched up on McLeod and Edwards as they rotated in the midfield.
They were in for a shock if they thought they'd be going for a rest in the forward line that day.

My recollection was McLeod and Roo (the Mark variety).

Dale goes down as one of our greatest ever despite lacking some of the individual accolades many who have come before him have. The fact that he was able to get back from so many big injuries, play 250 games and get a premiership medallion means so much.

Well done, Moz.

The bulldog tragician
06-08-2018, 08:13 PM
My recollection was McLeod and Roo (the Mark variety).

Dale goes down as one of our greatest ever despite lacking some of the individual accolades many who have come before him have. The fact that he was able to get back from so many big injuries, play 250 games and get a premiership medallion means so much.

Well done, Moz.

I thought Ricciuto (recently did a blog about Dale) - the commentators joked through the match that the All Australian committee were convening a special meeting just on that performance. Did Dale ever get dropped from that point, I wonder?

A remarkable player and one of the very decent men that I believe our club was blessed with. No suspensions ever for Dale despite playing in defence. And the tribulations he has overcome. .. I hope there is a solid turn out of our fans to honour this legend,

merantau
06-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Dale Morris - marvellous player, fantastic person. Much loved by supporters. He has been a rock for us over his entire career. Mentally very strong. Great achievement.

EasternWest
06-08-2018, 09:30 PM
Champion footballer, and even better guy.

If not my favourite Bulldog ever then definitely top 3.

Also gave me my favourite footballing moment ever. You all know what I'm talking about.

Love him.

Ozza
06-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Dale Morris - marvellous player, fantastic person. Much loved by supporters. He has been a rock for us over his entire career. Mentally very strong. Great achievement.

How’s things in Lombok Merantau? All good for you and yours?

bornadog
07-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Between game 150 and 250 Morris has suffered 2 broken legs, a partially torn ACL, a broken arm and played 4 finals with fractures in his back - what a tough bastard.

SonofScray
08-08-2018, 09:58 AM
In my Top 5 all time Bulldogs.

The best defender we've ever had, in my life time at least. Incredibly tough, resilient and fair player. Deserves much more plaudits than he gets, we should celebrate good men like him.

bornadog
08-08-2018, 10:55 AM
‘Moz’ a true Bulldog icon (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2018-08-08/murphy-moz-a-true-bulldog-icon) by Bob Murphy

Dale Morris is an iconic player to the Western Bulldogs.

He’s always been a man of few words, but like all champions, he knows how good he is.

I once described football as ‘an industry of criticism’. No matter how good you are, everyone is judged.

That bedrock of confidence is sculptured by a thousand critics. Chip, chip, chip goes the chisel. Only the truly resilient endure.

Moz hasn’t just survived, but thrived in the unrelenting cut and thrust of professional football.
It’s difficult to write about Moz, because what is left to say?

Famously, he was overlooked by the traditional pathways to a league career. The keen eye of former Bulldog and Doutta Stars coach Simon Minton-Connell was pivotal in giving the young defender a foot in the door at VFL club the Werribee Tigers.

After building an impressive CV at the VFL powerhouse, Moz was thrown a lifeline via the rookie draft to the Western Bulldogs in 2005. He was elevated that year onto the senior list and made his debut against the Crows in Round 5.

He was one of our best players in that win over the Crows, but more importantly, he played what would now be described as ‘a Dale Morris kind of game’.

To his teammates, Moz is often referred to as ‘the glove’, because he wears his opponents so closely. I’ve heard opposition forwards describe the feeling of deflation when Dale stands next to them at the opening bounce. That’s high praise, and it’s reserved for very few.

None of what I have told you is very original thinking. This is the conundrum when describing Moz.

The less he talks, the more we want to talk about him. He has played a staggeringly consistent 249 games for this club. He’s a premiership hero. He played the Grand Final with a broken back.

We laud him as one of the greats, a true son of the west. Like all defenders, he’s lowered his colours on occasion, but amazingly, no one gets beaten better than Moz. I know how crazy that sounds, but it’s true.

I admired Dale when I played on his team. I’d watch from close range his heart and will. He fought for the jumper, made his teammates better and won his position more than any other teammate I can think of.

On those rare nights when a taller opponent marked the ball on him I admired him even more because he was always there. Right next to his man, straining, fighting for that inch.

That’s more than just a football player.

KT31
08-08-2018, 02:34 PM
True Champion and cracking bloke, we are so very lucky we have had him play in our colours.
Couple of weeks back I was at the Kennel for a cuppa, my young Pup in a sling and broken collar bone, spotted Moz and spent the next 15 minutes with him.
Dale spent most of the conversation caring about my young bloke and his future and not much about himself.
I joked to my Pup he was a whimp and Dale would still be playing.:D
I am certainly with the consensus of him being a favourite and he would easily be in my top list of players of all time.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-08-2018, 11:33 PM
True Champion and cracking bloke, we are so very lucky we have had him play in our colours.
Couple of weeks back I was at the Kennel for a cuppa, my young Pup in a sling and broken collar bone, spotted Moz and spent the next 15 minutes with him.
Dale spent most of the conversation caring about my young bloke and his future and not much about himself.
I joked to my Pup he was a whimp and Dale would still be playing.:D
I am certainly with the consensus of him being a favourite and he would easily be in my top list of players of all time.

You would hope that Dale Morris is not lost to the Club beyond his playing days. A great example of courage character endurance with a never say never die will to win. In a one on one contest he was rarely beaten irrespective in the size of his opponent. Would be a certainty in a revised Bulldogs best ever team.

Axe Man
10-08-2018, 07:36 PM
https://s8.postimg.cc/ovlxxjl85/38778022_10156512266402487_6522879137240055808_n.jpg (https://postimg.cc/image/5drahloa9/)

AshMac
11-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Got to be the hardest bloke to play the modern game. His career is a great football story. I watched his tackle on Buddy in the GF about 80 times on repeat on the train home the other day - IMO he was norm smith that day.

Ghost Dog
12-08-2018, 02:24 AM
Nice guys finish first. Favourite memory, tackle on Buddy with broken back, 2016. Inspires the community.

Eastdog
12-08-2018, 07:34 PM
We did it for Dale 250th!! Go Dogs!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
12-08-2018, 08:41 PM
So glad we were able to find a way to honour Moz with a great win today, and for Moz to exhibit all the traits that typify his career; attacking high balls without fear, halving contests and finding a way to hold up the opposition when they look almost certain to win a crucial vall.

bornadog
13-08-2018, 12:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkZAD-zUwAA2vfU.jpg

ratsmac
13-08-2018, 01:48 AM
I'm rapt we won a milestone game for a club champion. In a year with so little highlights and not much to smile about, this makes me smile. Well done Bulldogs, well done Dale Morris.