PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Bontempelli set to re-sign 'sooner rather than later'

Bulldog4life
14-08-2018, 01:42 PM
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/bulldog-bontempelli-set-to-re-sign-sooner-rather-than-later-20180814-p4zxca.html

14 August 2018 — 12:32pm
Western Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli says he expects to sign a new contract "sooner rather than later".

Bontempelli is contracted until the end of 2019 but discussions are progressing between his management and the club. The champion utility could opt to sign a two-year extension, allowing him to test free agency after the 2021 season

"I do have a year to run still. The conversations are ongoing with the club and my management. It's a real positive position at the minute and that will get done in due course," he said on Tuesday.

"There is not set time limit on it. As far as I know, the talks are going well and they are ongoing. They just take time ... I am sure it will get done sooner rather than later."

The match-winning Bontempelli, who has re-emerged as a major goal-scoring threat in recent weeks, remains the Dogs' key re-signing but their focus is also on uncontracted free agents Jordan Roughead, Mitch Wallis and Luke Dahlhaus.

The Age understands St Kilda have shown strong interest in Roughead, while Wallis and Dahlhaus have been linked to other clubs, including Carlton and Essendon.

Bontempelli said they all wanted to remain at Whitten Oval.

"As a player, a teammate and friend, you all hope they stay and that's the way it plays out but we are all understanding the way football works," he said.

"There is list turnover at end of every season but ... we have been through a lot together, we are such tight knit group, we hope everything can get sorted out and they can be around for as long as they can."

The Bulldogs have endured another frustrating season, which has in part been derailed by injuries to key personnel. However, they have won their past two matches - against St Kilda and finals hopefuls North Melbourne - and a third looms against bottom-placed Carlton on Sunday. Having struggled to score after half-time for much of the season, the Dogs have booted a combined 16 goals in third quarters in the past fortnight.

"It's a shift in mindset and being able to control that game, that third quarter, a bit better. We certainly focused on wanting to come out after half-time with a better presence and a better influence and, funnily enough, we have had our two highest scoring quarters in third quarters. It's a great showing of what we have been trying to do," Bontempelli said.

Midfielders Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae and Bontempelli were superb against the Kangaroos, while veteran Tory Dickson was a threat up forward.

"It's big for your relief and confidence in what we have been doing ... it's a great sign for the spirit of the group that we are able to continue to fight out the rest of the season despite the finals carrot not being there for us this year," he said.

"Obviously, it's disappointing to not have featured in the finals over the last two years after what we achieved back in '16 but we are still so young, we are a maturing group and there are still a number of challenges you have to face each year despite what you have achieved in the past," he said.

The Bulldogs unveiled their inaugural reconciliation action plan on Tuesday, with club president Peter Gordon describing it as an "important moment in the history of the club".

Gordon said the Dogs had had 19 players of indigenous or Torres Strait Islander descent and had made great strides in being more inclusive.

Happy Days
14-08-2018, 03:10 PM
Give him all of our money.

You can have all of my money too Marcus please don't leave.

Twodogs
14-08-2018, 05:22 PM
All of my money is in the pot too.

FrediKanoute
14-08-2018, 07:02 PM
I'm going to say it. If Boyd is worth £1m p/a over 7 years, Bont is as well.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2018, 07:41 PM
Enjoyed reading this today.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Actually twice as much

Eastdog
14-08-2018, 08:30 PM
Enjoyed reading this today.

Just read it now. Good read. Bont is such an important player for us. He hasn't had his best year but has still been influential in games.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2018, 08:36 PM
I suggested early in the year that I would offer $10m over 7 years.

The salary cap will increase and a long deal allows some variation on a yearly basis to fit with other priorities.

He is our most important player and his signing to a long term deal would have plenty others interested in staying/joining.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-08-2018, 09:34 PM

Boyd’s contract was absurd given his unheralded service at GWS. In saying that he was a huge factor in our 2016 flag. Giving Boyd, 7 years however has proved to be a huge risk.Bont is in a different class.

bornadog
14-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Boyd’s contract was absurd given his unheralded service at GWS. In saying that he was a huge factor in our 2016 flag. Giving Boyd, 7 years however has proved to be a huge risk.Bont is in a different class.

Boyd has repaid -and I am happy, he can have his money.

Flamethrower
15-08-2018, 01:33 AM

Tom could never play another game in the tricolours and he would be worth every cent for what he delivered in the 2016 Grand Final.

Axe Man
15-08-2018, 10:41 AM
I'm sure the club would love to sign Bont up for +5 years but he is well within his rights to sign for 2 and leverage free agency to sign an even bigger deal in a couple of years.

Twodogs
15-08-2018, 12:22 PM
I'm sure the club would love to sign Bont up for +5 years but he is well within his rights to sign for 2 and leverage free agency to sign an even bigger deal in a couple of years.

I think that is what he will do.

Eastdog
15-08-2018, 07:46 PM
Tom could never play another game in the tricolours and he would be worth every cent for what he delivered in the 2016 Grand Final.

Was just great. His marking that day was the best ever.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Contracts don't mean much in AFL, so if we offer him a fair deal no reason it can't be a longer contract. Was it Pendlebury who said long contracts are only good for presenting to the bank to get a mortgage? If he signs a long term deal and for some unforeseen reason decides he wants to leave 4 years in (touch wood he doesn't) he can.

Webby
16-08-2018, 07:13 AM
Bont can write his own ticket and the sky's the limit. I just hope he tempers it a bit and considers taking slightly less so as to set himself up to have a bit better team around him in the years to come.

But that's up to him. He's a rolled gold champion. If managed right, he could sign a seven year deal and be set up for seven straight years of finals footy - as THE man and the captain.

azabob
16-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Whose signature is more important?

Marcus Bontempelli or Chris Grants back in 1996/97?

GVGjr
16-08-2018, 09:08 AM

Great question, I'll go with Grant only because we were in a fragile position at the time.

Topdog
16-08-2018, 09:16 AM
No question it is Grant. That was massive at the time and nothing in today's world compares to it IMO

Mofra
16-08-2018, 09:39 AM

Grant, easily.

Bont leaving would be heartbreaking, but Grant leaving would have ben club-breaking.

As I understand it from a family connection, Bont loves the bulldogs and is the highest paid player on the list from this year anyway. Not sure if that's just contract or includes the extras (performance bonuses + marketing allowance).

comrade
16-08-2018, 09:57 AM
The positive thing is you won't find a single player on the list begrudge Bont getting a massive deal and I can even foresee scenarios where a player may take slight unders just to ensure everyone is able to stay together.

This is in contrast to the Boyd contract which apparently irked quite a few of his teammates.

Axe Man
16-08-2018, 10:33 AM
Contracts don't mean much in AFL, so if we offer him a fair deal no reason it can't be a longer contract. Was it Pendlebury who said long contracts are only good for presenting to the bank to get a mortgage? If he signs a long term deal and for some unforeseen reason decides he wants to leave 4 years in (touch wood he doesn't) he can.

A contract is important for free agency, can't be a free agent if you have a contract.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Grant, easily.

Bont leaving would be heartbreaking, but Grant leaving would have ben club-breaking.

As I understand it from a family connection, Bont loves the bulldogs and is the highest paid player on the list from this year anyway. Not sure if that's just contract or includes the extras (performance bonuses + marketing allowance).
I was too young to understand the importance of Grants situation (I remember not wanting him to leave) but jeez, despite our premiership, we would be in a dire situation if Bont were to leave. We have to get this done right

Ghost Dog
16-08-2018, 11:13 AM
I haven't seen a better player at our club. They called Stringer the package but we all know who the real package is.
You could play him anywhere on the ground. Such a pleasure to watch and I really hope he stays. Great character.

Twodogs
16-08-2018, 01:23 PM
I was too young to understand the importance of Grants situation (I remember not wanting him to leave) but jeez, despite our premiership, we would be in a dire situation if Bont were to leave. We have to get this done right

Whatever the importance attached to getting Bont's signature is you can multiply it 100 times in significance for Chris Grant's. We are a resiliant lot, we are good at just surviving but if Grant had signed with Port the AFL would have moved in for the kill about an hour later. And they would have learned their lessons from 1989 and they would have got us. The Western Bulldogs, training out of Whitten Oval, playing at Marvel stadium and the AFL premiership team of 2016 would not exist.