PDA

View Full Version : Famous Sayings or Quotes By Club Figures Over The Decades

bulldogtragic
16-08-2018, 10:14 PM
With a certain person from our club saying the same thing each week about managing injuries conservatively and the other cliches getting around at the moment. I was thinking of the many famous or more interesting things that our club figures have said over the journey. Things that have been said, sayings or quotes and have stuck in your memory. From either the president, coach, captain or administrators (trainers or boot students too etc) about a topic, a result or approach to the sport from any generation. You only get one shot at this thread to share it around, so make your nomination count for the rest of us to either remember something or learn something about our people and what they've famously or meaningfully said in representing the red, white and blue.

I'll burn mine on an easy example for y'all:

"Stick it right up them!" - EJ Whitten

EasternWest
16-08-2018, 10:26 PM
With a certain person from our club saying the same thing each week about managing injuries conservatively and the other cliches getting around at the moment. I was thinking of the many famous or more interesting things that our club figures have said over the journey. Things that have been said, sayings or quotes and have stuck in your memory. From either the president, coach, captain or administrators (trainers or boot students too etc) about a topic, a result or approach to the sport from any generation. You only get one shot at this thread to share it around, so make your nomination count for the rest of us to either remember something or learn something about our people and what they've famously or meaningfully said in representing the red, white and blue.

I'll burn mine on an easy example for y'all:

"Stick it right up them!" - EJ Whitten

It's certainly pleasing your work on WOOF, BT.

Bulldog Joe
16-08-2018, 10:28 PM
You have made it difficult BT with your restricted paramaters.

All the great quotes I know can from outside the footy club.

GVGjr
16-08-2018, 10:33 PM
Shop early and avoid the rush

bulldogtragic
16-08-2018, 10:34 PM
You have made it difficult BT with your restricted paramaters.

All the great quotes I know can from outside the footy club.

Really? Not necessarily great quotes, but our quotes. There's a few off the top of my head. Charlie... Plough... PG... Danny Southern... Captain G...

bulldogtragic
16-08-2018, 10:34 PM
Shop early and avoid the rush

That's the spirit. Others might not know it, but that's our heritage in a short sentence.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2018, 10:37 PM
It's certainly pleasing your work on WOOF, BT.

You know me, I'm all about the qualitative sheen in my posts.

The Doctor
16-08-2018, 11:16 PM
Paraphrasing here

"We took him bottom age as he would have gone top 10 next year"

Scott Clayton about Wade Skipper at the 2000 draft. 2001 was the Hodge/Judd superdraft, arguably the best ever.

"He's the next Andrew McLeod"

Scott Clayton about Cam Faulkner taken at pick 17 at the 2002 draft

Should I mention Jarred Grant?

Bulldog Joe
16-08-2018, 11:26 PM
Paraphrasing here

Scott Clayton about Wade Skipper at the 2000 draft. 2001 was the Hodge/Judd superdraft, arguably the best ever.

Those quotes are more like nightmares.

When will Scott Clayton do that swim he promised.

Twodogs
16-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Terry Wallace to ?Brian Royal while walking off the ground after losing to Collingwood in 1996:

Should I go them hard? I think this time I'm going to go real hard at them because that's unacceptable.

Then later in the rooms

If I look around these rooms today and I see one bloke *!*!*!*!ing smiling or another bloke getting a *!*!*!*!ing pat on the back I will fair dinkum spew up. You don't get four points for effort. You don't get four points for getting *!*!*!*!ing close

That's off the top of my head, I'm happy for anyone to correct it.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2018, 11:53 PM
Paraphrasing here

Steve Tiller got that too. That’s a famous pattern.

westdog54
16-08-2018, 11:55 PM
When Terry Wheeler addressed the Fightback Rally, he delivered this gem, which has always stuck with me:

"I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children."

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 12:14 AM
Steve Tiller got that too. That’s a famous pattern.

Called the "next Andrew Macleod?" I don't see it myself.

Happy Days
17-08-2018, 12:52 AM
"I'm shit, and I know I'm shit, but so are you, and at least I didn't go pick one"

- Ben Hudson, to Jack Watts

Bullies
17-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Redpath - knee 2 - 3 weeks (are they sure he didn't sneak off for another knee reconstruction)

Mofra
17-08-2018, 11:19 AM
"It's easier to stay fit than to get fit"

Scott West. Sums up his approach to training over his career.

Mofra
17-08-2018, 11:21 AM
"That's one"

- Steve Wallis to a prone Brett Heady, after he knocked him 5 ways into next week.
The previous game Heady kicked a bag against the Bulldogs and was taunting the defenders after each goal "that's one", "that's two" etc.

Axe Man
17-08-2018, 11:57 AM
Obvious one, but EJ's last game:

It’s got to be a do or die effort. It’s got to be a determined effort.

You’ve got to show me all the guts and the determination you’ve got in your body.

You’ve got to inspire me with this last quarter finish.

You’ve been in front all day and you’ve got to stay there.

Are you going to sit there and let them take it away from us?

Axe Man
17-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Ben Hudson to a young Richmond player:

‘Mate you’re so ugly, you’re almost as ugly as Murph’.

Mofra
17-08-2018, 12:17 PM
"I've been wanting to say this for as long as I can remember. The Bulldogs are through to the Grand Final! Can you believe it!"

- Luke Darcy

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 12:35 PM
"That's one"

- Steve Wallis to a prone Brett Heady, after he knocked him 5 ways into next week.
The previous game Heady kicked a bag against the Bulldogs and was taunting the defenders after each goal "that's one", "that's two" etc.

Thanks Mof, I've always wondered what it was that Wallis screamed in Heady's (jobby is one of the great nicknames of all time) face as he lay on the boundary line.

That was the hit that lead to the brawl when Danny Southern killed Peter Sumich or whatever the girly men at West Coast reckon he did.

Axe Man
17-08-2018, 12:35 PM
Captain Groenewegen over the planes p.a. system on the end of season trip:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Captain Groenewegen speaking, we are currently cruising at 10,000 metres. I hope you are enjoying the flight because it will be your last - we're going down".

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Charlie Sutton's 27 word prematch address on Grand Final day 1954 is a thing of beautiful simplicity:

"I ask you for a personal effort. Go on to the field full of grit, full of football. Come with me and we can win this thing."

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Great Peter Gordon quotes from fightback:

We are here today I suppose because it's better to die on our feet than live on our knees

the great moments that had been played out on the very ground we are standing on, Brian Royal's left foot goal from the centre against Essendon in 1985, Gubby Allen kicking across goal, only for Simon Beasley to mark it, & spots that Ricky Kennedy dished out his very own brand of Bulldog justice, which were, here & here, & over there, & there, infact there weren't too many places Rick didn't dispense summary justice.

If we hurt today with the VFL's decision, then that will nothing compared to the hurt we'll feel in a few short weeks when the 1990 VFL draw is released. Think of how bad you'll hurt next year when the season approaches & there's no Footscray! I want you to give until it hurts as much as that, because that's the ONLY way we can defeat these people!

bulldogtragic
17-08-2018, 04:41 PM
For those who love a sledge, Jayden Schofield had some great on field stuff:

To John Anthony in a pre-season game, "No wonder Collingwood traded you, you are shit".

To Brendan Fevola, in a VFL game, after his missus just left him, "You're a fat sack of crap with no wife and no life".

EasternWest
17-08-2018, 05:43 PM

To John Anthony in a pre-season game, "No wonder Collingwood traded you, you are shit".

To Brendan Fevola, in a VFL game, after his missus just left him, "You're a fat sack of crap with no wife and no life".

Decent sledges, not sure Schofield earnt the right to them though.

ReLoad
17-08-2018, 05:44 PM
The Trainer than ran over Johnno with the golf cart:

"Sorry"

bulldogtragic
17-08-2018, 06:23 PM
Decent sledges, not sure Schofield earnt the right to them though.

For sure, not at all (I thought he could play to a good standard though, if he applied himself...). I think he also gave a ripper to Ryan Crowley too.

EasternWest
17-08-2018, 07:35 PM
For sure, not at all (I thought he could play to a good standard though, if he applied himself...). I think he also gave a ripper to Ryan Crowley too.

Yeah I thought he had potential too. I was disappointed when he left, but his heart didn't seem to be in it and I can respect that he chose to look after his own interests without becoming a drain on our club.

Twodogs
17-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Yeah I thought he had potential too. I was disappointed when he left, but his heart didn't seem to be in it and I can respect that he chose to look after his own interests without becoming a drain on our club.

Yeah it must have been a hard decision to make, when you have been aiming for something all your life and you get there and think "hang on, this isn't like I thought it would be at all" it can't be easy to say "*!*!*!*! it" and walk away without thinking there is something wrong with you. I don't think that I could do it.

westdog54
18-08-2018, 08:43 AM

Didn't he say "are you still on an AFL list?" to Kepler Bradley?

bulldogtragic
18-08-2018, 09:25 AM
Didn't he say "are you still on an AFL list?" to Kepler Bradley?

Yep. He had a very witty sledge game. I think he just picked off most of Freo that day.

westdog54
18-08-2018, 03:03 PM
Yep. He had a very witty sledge game. I think he just picked off most of Freo that day.

I think Crowley may have copped "I don't even know who you are".

bulldogtragic
18-08-2018, 03:05 PM

That's it! :D

Mouthy little so and so.

westdog54
18-08-2018, 03:31 PM
That's it! :D

Mouthy little so and so.

I was rather sad when he gave it all away.

In a measure of comfort, his spot was taken by premiership defender Fletcher Roberts.

Greystache
20-08-2018, 01:01 PM

I think it was actually "I've lived in Perth my whole life and I don't even know who you are"

choconmientay
20-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Not sure if this is fitting this thread but these recent quotes are full of the Bulldogs spirits:

"This is yours mate, you deserve it more than anyone." ;)
"He can graduate, throw his hat in the air and never come back and play another game - he was unbelievable." - Surely this was a dig at a dickhead journo.

westdog54
20-08-2018, 04:15 PM
Not sure if this is fitting this thread but these recent quotes are full of the Bulldogs spirits:

"This is yours mate, you deserve it more than anyone." ;)
"He can graduate, throw his hat in the air and never come back and play another game - he was unbelievable." - Surely this is a dig at a dickhead journo.

They're fantastic nominations.

ratsmac
21-08-2018, 09:17 AM
"I want to play finals"

Nathan Brown on why he left the Bulldogs.

Twodogs
21-08-2018, 01:50 PM
"I want to play finals"

Nathan Brown on why he left the Bulldogs.

What he wants is better judgement.

The Pie Man
21-08-2018, 04:49 PM
"I'm shit, and I know I'm shit, but so are you, and at least I didn't go pick one"

- Ben Hudson, to Jack Watts

Surely certain WOOFers can confirm or clarify - was part of Hudson's spray for Watts something about no-one at Melbourne liking him as he was a private school wanker, and he took it so badly to heart someone from the Dees got in touch with Huddo mid the following week to ask him if he could call Jack and clarify that he was only joking?

Not sure I've remembered this correctly - that version still amuses me.

Twodogs
21-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Surely certain WOOFers can confirm or clarify - was part of Hudson's spray for Watts something about no-one at Melbourne liking him as he was a private school wanker, and he took it so badly to heart someone from the Dees got in touch with Huddo mid the following week to ask him if he could call Jack and clarify that he was only joking?

That phone call belongs on YouTube,

Mofra
21-08-2018, 05:57 PM

I remember reading something similar on Woof - a player who was an ex-Bulldog at Melbourne contacted Huddo and asked him to call Watts from memory.

bulldogtragic
21-08-2018, 07:40 PM
I love the comment attributed to Danny Southern, in the last game at WO, just as he walked up to Michael Gardiner on debut and proceeded to give him one hell of an assault... "Welcome to Footscray".

KT31
22-08-2018, 09:34 AM
I remember reading something similar on Woof - a player who was an ex-Bulldog at Melbourne contacted Huddo and asked him to call Watts from memory.

I have a vague memory it was Chocco Royal.

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2018, 07:15 PM
I love the comment attributed to Danny Southern, in the last game at WO, just as he walked up to Michael Gardiner on debut and proceeded to give him one hell of an assault... "Welcome to Footscray".

I’ve always thought that was: Welcome to the kennel.

1eyedog
10-09-2018, 12:29 PM
Eade re. Minson 'dumbest smart bloke in the competition'.

Great sledge.

E.J re. Sutton 'Master of the scientific use of weight'.

SonofScray
13-09-2018, 08:27 AM
Elephant, elephant, elephant.

Twodogs
13-09-2018, 12:14 PM
Elephant, elephant, elephant.

The elephant dance?