PDA

View Full Version : Three things I've learned, edition XXI 2018 v Carlton at Marvel stadium

Twodogs
19-08-2018, 02:17 PM
Three things is what we ask.
It's a pretty simple task.

DOG GOD
19-08-2018, 04:50 PM
1. When our heads are in the clouds we are one of the worst teams to watch
2. We couldn’t take a contested mark inside 50 to save ourselves
3. Richards will be a gun in 2 years

bulldogtragic
19-08-2018, 04:59 PM
1. Essendon took Stringer, Smith & Saad as pre-loved players. Port took Thomas, McKenzie, Motlop, Rockliff, Watts & Trengove. Dogs took Schache, Crozier, Trengove & Gowers (a year away). Last year you'd guess we were going to be the least rated. But Crozier keeps improving, Trengove is what Roughy was in 2016 despite being a bit smaller, Schache is a work in progress and Gowers is doing well, less the set shot thing. I learned that in terms of clubs that went to get talent from elsewhere, the collective future of our four players is trending in a very positive direction on its own and in comparison to other who used the same strategy, despite our club being thrifty with our trading values. These guys are walk up best 22 next year.

2. Lynch is showing some trends that need ironing out. I'd give him a one year rookie upgrade as part of the overall strategy, but he needs to do a lot more and we should give him some time to do it.

3. Naughton is a gun. Great one on one, great tackler, great intercept marker. And in his first year. So bring on 2019.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
19-08-2018, 05:27 PM
1. I was too hard, too early on Crozier. Took some time to fit in, but looks better each week.
2. Schache has a lot of deficiencies in his game, shanks kicks in general play too often, and again today lacked concentration and application when attacking ground balls. It's all well and good to be a good kick, but its the other elements of his game that will take him to the level required to be a top line player.
3. We have got to get better conversion from our inside 50's. Both our mids bring the ball in poorly and our forwards don't present well.

bornadog
19-08-2018, 05:50 PM
1. We tend to play at the level of our opposition, and today's game was at the lowest level.

2. Bont hardly trained this week and still picked up 37 disposals.

3. Dunks is becoming a contested beast.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2018, 06:23 PM
1. The difference was our midfield with Bont Dunkley Macrae and Hunter all 30 plus possessions
2. We dominated the centre clearances but again struggled in attack
3. Good to have Wood back but missed Cordy today. Crozier and Richards continue to impress in defence.

merantau
20-08-2018, 08:11 PM
I was premature and harsh in my judgment of Crozier. Another slab of humble pie please.

The Underdog
20-08-2018, 08:18 PM
I was premature and harsh in my judgment of Crozier. Another slab of humble pie please.

He's been outstanding lately. I thought he was easily our best through the first 3 quarters.

EasternWest
20-08-2018, 08:24 PM
He's been outstanding lately. I thought he was easily our best through the first 3 quarters.

Much gutsier than I thought he was too.

Has been a resounding success this year.

Twodogs
20-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Much gutsier than I thought he was too.

Has been a resounding success this year.

Is that something he has added or increased with his move to us? Because he does some kamikaze things and I'm suprised we hadn't seen more of him.

He's going to be a real acquisition.

EasternWest
20-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Is that something he has added or increased with his move to us? Because he does some kamikaze things and I'm suprised we hadn't seen more of him.

He's going to be a real acquisition.

I really don't know. I had this idea of him as a flighty outside guy, but he's totally different to that. Either he's got tougher since coming to us or I had him wrong all along.

Mantis
20-08-2018, 10:13 PM

There has been a big spike in his output since Suckling got injured. Will be interesting to see what happens next year when the Pig returns.

Twodogs
20-08-2018, 10:22 PM
I really don't know. I had this idea of him as a flighty outside guy, but he's totally different to that. Either he's got tougher since coming to us or I had him wrong all along.

Me too. It's not like he's been singled out for being conspicuous in his bravery or the club made a big fuss about it when he signed. But the last couple of weeks especially he's backed into the valley of doom a couple of times and, I won't say he looks comfortable, but he doesn't look out of his depth either.

bornadog
20-08-2018, 10:23 PM
There has been a big spike in his output since Suckling got injured. Will be interesting to see what happens next year when the Pig returns.

Do you have your doubts about him now? He has proven his worth

Mantis
20-08-2018, 10:39 PM
Do you have your doubts about him now? He has proven his worth

He's had a strong second part of the season after an extremely shaky beginning.. Interested to see where he fits if/ when we ever get a healthy list.

Happy Days
21-08-2018, 12:53 AM
One thing I never expected out of Crozier is how tough he's proven to be. He's not the flighty flanker type that was advertised, but rather he's as hard as a cat's head.

Not that he can't do some pretty cool stuff, but he's never scared to put his body in harm's way.

macca
21-08-2018, 01:37 AM
1. Dunkley is a midfield beast, and he is way way ahead of Curnow. Dunkley average disposal 21.6 vs 14.2
some intresting stats to compare the 2:
curnow: https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-carlton-blues--charlie-curnow
Dunkley : https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--josh-dunkley

2. Lipinski showed up on both ends of the ground and was impressed by his coverage
3. We cannot help ourselves leaking late goals against the opposition in the last minute of a quarter.
4. Our entry into fwd 50 is dysfunctional. I hope that our field kicking skills has not declined as well, or is it our leading patterns ?

ratsmac
21-08-2018, 08:11 AM
1. The cue was in the rack but we decided to get it off the rack for a bit in the last.

2. Ed Richards will be a weapon within a couple more seasons. He already has the ability to run and carry with great effect. Players who can break the lines are worth their weight in gold.

3. Watching Carlton getting a standing ovation as they jogged off at halftime for being 2 points up against a team who is younger and less games experience (just) put a smile on my face. Such a tragic future they have! And beating them on Sunday secured their 5th wooden spoon!! That's more spoons than us now:D

bornadog
21-08-2018, 10:05 AM
Such a tragic future they have! And beating them on Sunday secured their 5th wooden spoon!! That's more spoons than us now:D

Wikipedia already updated :D

EasternWest
21-08-2018, 10:13 AM
Wikipedia already updated :D

Do you ever get any work done:)?

comrade
21-08-2018, 10:17 AM
No way I'd take Dunks ahead of Curnow, given they're completely different players. Dunkley will be a very good inside bull for years to come, kind of like our Josh Kennedy (but not as good by foot). Curnow could be the best CHF in the league.

bornadog
21-08-2018, 10:42 AM
Do you ever get any work done:)?

Haha, wasn't me.

Mofra
21-08-2018, 11:18 AM
3. Naughton is a gun. Great one on one, great tackler, great intercept marker. And in his first year. So bring on 2019.
Naughton is the only player we have that we can be assured will have multiple contested marks every week. 4 this week, last week he had two (the only player with more than one). Brilliant season for a teenager KPD.

Happy Days
21-08-2018, 12:30 PM
No way I'd take Dunks ahead of Curnow, given they're completely different players. Dunkley will be a very good inside bull for years to come, kind of like our Josh Kennedy (but not as good by foot). Curnow could be the best CHF in the league.

Yeah let's not do this, and instead just be happy we merely lost that stupid trade.

bornadog
21-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Yeah let's not do this, and instead just be happy we merely lost that stupid trade.

BUT - would we have taken Curnow at 11?

Happy Days
21-08-2018, 01:33 PM
BUT - would we have taken Curnow at 11?

No, we would have taken Collins then Dunkley at 12 then Adams at 13 and Williams at 14.