PDA

View Full Version : Retired or players not given contracts 2018

ledge
21-08-2018, 05:31 PM
Waite
Silvagne (Alex)
Retired

Goddard no contract offered.
Just thought I would start a thread so we can keep track of who has gone or who might be a good pick up.

Axe Man
29-08-2018, 10:31 AM
Situation to date with many more to come:
https://s8.postimg.cc/zddiks4d1/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)
Freeman the biggest surprise after finally getting over his injuries and making his debut only a couple of weeks ago.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2018, 10:41 AM
Nothing in the cheap as chips category of acquisitions so far.

EasternWest
29-08-2018, 11:03 AM
Situation to date with many more to come:
https://s8.postimg.cc/zddiks4d1/Capture.png (https://postimages.org/)
Freeman the biggest surprise after finally getting over his injuries and making his debut only a couple of weeks ago.

Reeks of dickhead alarm.

Axe Man
29-08-2018, 02:47 PM
Reeks of dickhead alarm.

Sorry, who?

EasternWest
29-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Sorry, who?

Freeman. I say this with absolutely no knowledge of him whatsoever, but a shock delisting like that sets off some bells.

Happy Days
29-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Idk if it's that big a shocker really. In the game against us he looked a long way off the mark, has totally lost his best trait (his pace), and is severely limited by poor skills. The Saints probably just didn't think he was ever going to put it back together, and are pretty justified in my opinion.

Topdog
29-08-2018, 03:26 PM
Agree with Happy Days. I dont understand why it is a shock. It was kind of a good news story but wasn't he dropped after playing his 2 games?

jeemak
29-08-2018, 03:35 PM
Here's an update on Freeman.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-28/saints-delist-injuryprone-mid-after-two-games

Sounds as if he was probably given every opportunity to show something but unfortunately failed.

bulldogsthru&thru
29-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Hugh Goddard delisted by the saints as well. He was a first round/very early second round pick not long ago like Collins for us.

Mofra
29-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Freeman. I say this with absolutely no knowledge of him whatsoever, but a shock delisting like that sets off some bells.
He can't run with the hamstrings he has. Poor guy just ruined by injury.

Axe Man
29-08-2018, 03:54 PM

I doubt he would have lasted 5 years on an AFL list if he was a dickhead considering the injuries he's had. In fact to keep going like he has seems to show some pretty good character I would say. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned it seems the injuries may have taken their toll.

ledge
29-08-2018, 04:12 PM
Morris just signed another 1 year deal with us.

jeemak
29-08-2018, 04:14 PM
EW you are cold.................

:)

EasternWest
29-08-2018, 04:16 PM
EW you are cold.................

:)

Oh I don't mean to be. Just struck me as odd that he'd finally get a couple of games then get axed.

But others have set me straight so it's all good.

Eastdog
29-08-2018, 04:33 PM
Morris just signed another 1 year deal with us.

What a champion. Moz has that Bulldog spirit.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2018, 07:55 PM
Goddard would be an interesting one.

Showed a bit as an underage player but has had some injury concerns since arriving at St Kilda. Not sure we need another tall in his age bracket, but could be a good insurance policy as a rookie.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2018, 08:04 PM
Goddard would be an interesting one.

Showed a bit as an underage player but has had some injury concerns since arriving at St Kilda. Not sure we need another tall in his age bracket, but could be a good insurance policy as a rookie.

St Kilda just do this today?

I watched him closely in his last TAC year, and I rate him. I had a source who know his parents really, really well. He had frustrations between school footy wanting him forward, and Falcons wanting him back. He didn't feel continuity in learning one role really well and developing in it which lead to him falling down the order briefly to about pick 20. Then injuries have savaged him at St Kilda. We could do a lot worse than Hugh. But if our conditioning staff are staying and doing business as usual, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to put him in around them. But yep, I'm a fan of his.

Go_Dogs
29-08-2018, 08:08 PM
St Kilda just do this today?

I watched him closely in his last TAC year, and I rate him.

Yes, announced today.

I had him ahead of Zaine!

bulldogtragic
29-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Yes, announced today.

I had him ahead of Zaine!

Well I didn't, as everyone knows I had Zaine rated at pick 1. :D

But we'd be essentially moving one pick 20-ish KPD with injury problems for another (Collins for Goddard). That's a win for me. Moreso if it's a choice between pick 80-100 or filling the last spot with him. If he can get continuity of fitness then his talent will shine through. That's the question I guess.

Bulldog Joe
29-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Well I didn't, as everyone knows I had Zaine rated at pick 1. :D

But we'd be essentially moving one pick 20-ish KPD with injury problems for another (Collins for Goddard). That's a win for me. Moreso if it's a choice between pick 80-100 or filling the last spot with him. If he can get continuity of fitness then his talent will shine through. That's the question I guess.

Do you not remember Tom Williams?

My view is steer clear of anyone with chronic injury issues.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Do you not remember Tom Williams?

My view is steer clear of anyone with chronic injury issues.

I do. The post of mine above the one quoted references this point. Either we are 100% confident of turning his fitness around, but to bring him in with a fitness team which is certainly no better than St Kilda's would be cruel and unusual punishment to him. But if our fitness and conditioning leadership change and we become best practice, and we are 100% sold on turning his fitness around, then I'd be be happy to roll the dice on him as a DFA over say pick 90-100. But if there's any doubt, or our conservatively managing fitness people are still there next year overseeing more bad luck, then we pass. Nothing too complicated.

soupman
29-08-2018, 11:05 PM
From what I've read Goddards injuries have meant that he has completely lost his pace, to the point where ruckmen outpace him. Pass.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2018, 11:12 PM
From what I've read Goddards injuries have meant that he has completely lost his pace, to the point where ruckmen outpace him. Pass.

If true, the VFL awaits him.

macca
30-08-2018, 02:42 AM
Idk if it's that big a shocker really. In the game against us he looked a long way off the mark, has totally lost his best trait (his pace), and is severely limited by poor skills. The Saints probably just didn't think he was ever going to put it back together, and are pretty justified in my opinion.

Collingwood won that trade by offloading him. This shows how poor the state of the saints list. Got hand it to the pies, they have indeed been ruthless in culling a few what may seem too early to let go: Marley, Witts, Dasiy, and Freeman just to name a few. Witts maybe borderline... but GCS are desperate for anyone with ability .

bornadog
06-09-2018, 04:00 PM
Saints with a big clean up:

Darren Minchington joins Koby Stevens, Hugh Goddard, Nathan Freeman, Sam Gilbert, Nathan Wright and Ray Connellan as players departing the club.

bulldogsthru&thru
06-09-2018, 04:10 PM

Darren Minchington joins Koby Stevens, Hugh Goddard, Nathan Freeman, Sam Gilbert, Nathan Wright and Ray Connellan as players departing the club.

Similar to us it seems. They have 7 players out and not many draft picks

bornadog
06-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Similar to us it seems. They have 7 players out and not many draft picks

Looks like they will be trading for picks.

Bulldog4life
11-09-2018, 07:03 PM
Cory Gregson at 22 given the flick by Geelong. I saw him play some good games. Had some bad injuries unfortunately.

bulldogtragic
11-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Cory Gregson at 22 given the flick by Geelong. I saw him play some good games. Had some bad injuries unfortunately.

Another talented kid, whose suffered injuries (like many in the thread, and our Kieren Collins) given the flick pretty quickly. This feels to me like something has changed. For years it's been the players pushing their wants and needs over loyalty (free agency, more money etc), which is fine. This feels like the clubs are pushing back their wants and needs over loyalty too, like there's an acceptance that they can't keep holding players on for 'loyalty' reasons when the main body of players don't hold loyalty as much as passed generations once did, seemingly. I'm not saying players are disloyal in particular, but clubs are matching the lower threshold as in passed years a talented kid with injuries would usually get another season or two. But not any more if this off season is the new normal.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2018, 04:47 PM

AFL Trade

@AFLTrade
Sep 10
More
Delisted Cat Cory Gregson is a major chance at finding a new home.

Testekill
13-09-2018, 06:47 PM
AFL Trade

@AFLTrade
Sep 10
More
Delisted Cat Cory Gregson is a major chance at finding a new home.

He's the type of delisted player that you'd feel comfortable with at least taking a punt on instead of using pick 70+ on a speculative kid. Just needs luck with injuries

comrade
13-09-2018, 11:03 PM

They could easily find another half dozen list cloggers to cut. Their list is knackered.

Testekill
13-09-2018, 11:29 PM
They could easily find another half dozen list cloggers to cut. Their list is knackered.

Absolutely, Saints are dire and have years worth of pain in their near future.

macca
15-09-2018, 02:08 AM
Absolutely, Saints are dire and have years worth of pain in their near future.

Aside from Jack Stevens ( who has had a very ordinary season) and Seb Ross, their midfield has NO depth. They are in a fair bit of trouble. Years of "rebuilding" to come.

They really have not planned since retirements of Montagna and Lenny Hayes. They should have kept Nick Del Santo. And they traded out the better ruckman in McEvoy! I felt he was very good young ruck in his early years. That shows that he had great potential. Hickey is a spud. Billy Longer... ironic name for Eker potential...

Maybe Coffield and Hunter may be part of the rebuild. But their history of developing young players is poor. I cannot see any of their current young players going into the elite or A-grade level.

Armitage and Newnes are not best 22 anymore.
Can't see Billings or Steele playing for long period in the midfield
Shane savage is a terrible kick, and thats why Clarkson let players of his type go.
Membrey is a terrible kick and only plays 1 quarter of good footy a game

Going through this list, what a bunch of plodders!

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/tr-st-kilda-saints

They have pick 3 and pick 57!( indicative) in this year's upcoming draft.

They are truly stuffed. Threatening to finish bottom 4 next year. Love it.

Rocket Science
25-09-2018, 06:41 PM
Two fringe forwards among five Dees cut (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-25/times-up-at-demons-for-veteran-forward)

"FRINGE Demons Cameron Pedersen and Tom Bugg are among five Demons who won't be at Melbourne next year..."

Seems an opportune time to update this ...

https://preview.ibb.co/k27ahU/NOW_YOU_READY.jpg (https://ibb.co/mggPbp)

ledge
25-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Mathew Wright retired , surprising I thought he was one of the only players who could kick goals at Carlton.

choconmientay
26-09-2018, 11:05 PM
FORMER No.2 draft pick Jonathan O'Rourke headlines a trio of Hawthorn players delisted on Wednesday.

(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-26/former-no2-pick-among-three-hawks-axed?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

21 games across 6 seasons and 2 clubs. Bad run with injuries. Not sure if any clubs will gamble on him. My bet would be St. Kilda or North.

Happy Days
27-09-2018, 12:18 AM
FORMER No.2 draft pick Jonathan O'Rourke headlines a trio of Hawthorn players delisted on Wednesday.

(http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-26/former-no2-pick-among-three-hawks-axed?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=RSS+feed%3A+AFL+Latest+News)

21 games across 6 seasons and 2 clubs. Bad run with injuries. Not sure if any clubs will gamble on him. My bet would be St. Kilda or North.

Man is trash at AFL. Can't believe he tricked two clubs into giving up first round picks for him.

macca
27-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Man is trash at AFL. Can't believe he tricked two clubs into giving up first round picks for him.

He must have a great manager at talking him up. Well done to him for milking 2 clubs across 6 years

Ozza
27-09-2018, 04:11 PM
He must have a great manager at talking him up. Well done to him for milking 2 clubs across 6 years

Sometimes it doesn't work out for a variety of reasons. But it wasn't through lack of trying. Our family knows the O'Rourke's pretty well - Jono wasn't trying to 'milk' anyone, he was trying to be an AFL player.

bornadog
27-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Sometimes it doesn't work out for a variety of reasons. But it wasn't through lack of trying. Our family knows the O'Rourke's pretty well - Jono wasn't trying to 'milk' anyone, he was trying to be an AFL player.

Sometimes a hot junior just doesn’t make it to the next level.

ledge
27-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Sometimes a hot junior just doesn’t make it to the next level.

Especially big forwards who have grown ahead of their age, once the others catch up they can quickly fall into mediocrity.

azabob
27-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Mathew Wright retired , surprising I thought he was one of the only players who could kick goals at Carlton.

I think he had one year left but was offered a coaching role at the crows and took that.

macca
28-09-2018, 03:06 AM

Apologies if it came across the wrong way at poor attempt of humour.

Its not easy to make it as an AFL players, especially with injuries. Maybe should have came across better as ... cannot blame him for trying.

His done well to be able to be in the system for 6 years.

GVGjr
02-10-2018, 06:32 AM
Michael Barlow is too good of a footballer not to be on an AFL list despite being 30 years old.

There must be a couple of sides in Melbourne that would benefit by having a quality person like Barlow on their playing list
I think he could work with some of the younger players as well to help them develop.

mjp
02-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Michael Barlow is too good of a footballer not to be on an AFL list despite being 30 years old.

And one of the all time great 'TEAM' people.

Doc26
02-10-2018, 08:58 AM

There must be a couple of sides in Melbourne that would benefit by having a quality person like Barlow on their playing list
I think he could work with some of the younger players as well to help them develop.

You would think that he would be perfect for the Suns with such an exodus of talent and experience.
I wonder what’s broken down for him to be discarded by them.

westdog54
02-10-2018, 10:48 AM
You would think that he would be perfect for the Suns with such an exodus of talent and experience.
I wonder what’s broken down for him to be discarded by them.

The rest of the club, perhaps?

Perhaps he's had enough of them.

Ozza
02-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Barlow's season was a little stop/start with injury - but when fit, they just pretty much refused to play him. 3 senior games for the year - and about 10 at NEAFL level where his worst return was a 36 possession game, and most he gathered 40+ and kicked a goal or 2.

Doc26
02-10-2018, 09:48 PM
The rest of the club, perhaps?

Perhaps he's had enough of them.

From hearing him interviewed it seemed as if the Club let him
know that he was no longer part of their plans. He seemed at odds with their decision which at face value does seem odd to me given their dearth of experience.

The Pie Man
23-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Wouldn’t mind taking a look at Jake Neade

GVGjr
23-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Surely Tom Sheridan is at least worth having a chat to? He's played 81 games and is a nice kick and has a bit of pace. Always tested well for endurance as well.

GVGjr
24-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Matthew Leuenberger has announced his retirement kicking back a contract offer from Essendon.

I wonder if they will be in the market now for a ruckman.

EasternWest
24-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Matthew Leuenberger has announced his retirement kicking back a contract offer from Essendon.

I wonder if they will be in the market now for a ruckman.

Maybe they should have a sniff around Mumford?

ledge
24-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Why would he retire from a club everyone wants to go to ?

choconmientay
24-10-2018, 11:54 PM
Maybe they should have a sniff around Mumford?
For sure. They would want some injections in the ruck department ��

EasternWest
25-10-2018, 09:18 AM
For sure. They would want some injections in the ruck department ��

Lol.